Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First2021222324Last >>
Author Topic:
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Belle, I agree. When I took a college class last year, I would get the Renaissance and the Dark Ages all mixed up because interesting things happened in both.

Cenor, I like how your prompt three was written like a screen play. Was that intentional?

If I could go anywhere in history, I would actually probably pick Quebec and the surrounding area in the 1600s, when the area was first being colonized. I can totally picture myself helping out with the gardening and stuff, even though everything in that garden would be dead and whoever lived in my household would starve during the winter. But I would love to see the journeymen who carried items to trade through the woods, and cut down trees for lumber which in turn was used for shelter. Everything was so simple back then, even though the most simple tasks nowadays would be astronomically hard back then. And the language! I love the French language: its so lyrical and mellow and flowing. It would be amazing to here is evolve and mutate over time to what it is today.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Ummmmmmm.....Yeah I guess. I thought it was more like script writing...or is it the same thing.

I like Prompt Four Maxie, especially the part where you would garden the dead garden
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, they are the same in an essence, screen writing is specifically for the screen, and script for a play or a musical.

Thank you, Cenor. That is what happens still today.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Hi everyone!

It is the first day of NaNoWriMo, and I still only have a vague idea of what my story will be about. I will be writing unofficially, but I hope I can get something done.

Good luck to everyone!
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Yes. Happy National Novel Writing Month!! How many of you all are participating this year?

Lovely prompts, everyone!

If I could travel back in time, I would either go to America's War of Independence or to Bible times, I think. Former: Because I think it would be awesome to see America striving for freedom. And to be a part of it. To be there when something that big was happening. It would just be incredible.

To the latter: Because I would love to have been alive when Jesus was here. To see Him perform miracles and to sit at His feet and listen to Him teach. That would be an incredible experience.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Happy NoNoWriMo day, all!

If you still wish to sign up, here is the link: http://nanowrimo.org/

I am participating, as motivation for a massive rewrite.

Wonderful responses, Mareth. Song, do you know of the prompts?
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
Happy NaNoWriMo day to everyone!!! I'm massively excited about it, but I still have quite a bit more to do today, if I want to make the daily word count.

Working on the prompt, Maxie... I hope I'll finish them in time!!
Image"The Corrupteds are going to wake up and find that they are strong." -Cenor
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
No Maxie, I suppose I should read through the thread to find out.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum (obviously!) and am still undecided about officially participating in NaNoWriMo. I have actually wanted to write ever since I was a little girl but only in the past couple of years have I gotten ideas that I have found to be good enough to keep and write down. So far, my longest fanfic has been 20 Microsoft Word pages; I was so excited about that!
So if anyone wants to tell me about their NaNoWriMo experiences I'd love some tips on everything! If I do participate, I have a story that's already I think 17 Microsoft Word pages long & I think I may have enough that I could possibly stretch it to 50,000 words.
I guess I should also tell you all I write primarily romance. So far I only have one story that's not romantic out of probably 15 or so short stories (most end up being around 3 Microsoft Word pages). By far it's my favorite genre, although I do like to pair it either with history or suspense, and quite obviously fantasy!
There are so many posts that I have not read them all, so I apologize if I ask silly things that have already been answered.
Good luck to all participating in NaNoWriMo!
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome, Blue!

For NaNoWriMo, try to write or type 1,700 words a day. The actual figure is just under that, but I like to round it up. It is actually just about two solid paragraphs or a touch more each day, so this try hard attempts to keep going.

Fanfics count for NaNo as well. And after you finish it, you will actually have the satisfaction of publishing it on the CoE, which is more than I can say for myself.

What is your username on NaNo, Blue? I would be happy to add you as a writing buddy.

Song, the prompts are weekly writing ideas that are meant to put you out of your writing comfort zone. I post them on Mondays and you have a week to complete them. If you'd like, others on the site will critique your writing or give you comments.
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
Hey, Blue!! Welcome to our little corner!

I'm not doing NaNo either. I really want to. I've never done it, but I've never had the time. I actually didn't find out about it until a few years ago and I was in college and in between stories. Grad school hasn't left time either. Maybe I'll get a chance here in a few years. Good luck everyone!
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you, rhodilwen. I am just doing it for the deadline experience, to see what it is like. I do not trust the site scanner that they put your words through to determine if you have written enough. So even if I get to 50,000, I will not submit.

4,779 words so far.

[Edited on 11/02/2014 by findemaxam48]
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
I have an idea of what I want to do, and it will likely be a fairly short children's story. If everything goes well I may try to get some illustrations for it.

[Edited on 11/02/2014 by Eruwestiel_Evensong]
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
Wow Maxie. I'm struggling to get 2,000 at the moment. Which is why I still haven't gotten around to writing out my reply to the prompt this week. Urgh. You may have to count me out for November... :/
Image"The Corrupteds are going to wake up and find that they are strong." -Cenor
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you Findemaxam48! I never registered for NaNoWriMo, but thank you so much for the offer of writing buddy! Perhaps next year I will be brave enough to try it. It does sound better when you break it down day by day. Unfortunately, my inspiration comes in waves so some days I write nothing, other days it becomes more than a page!
& thanks for the welcome, rhodilwen! I totally understand about not having time for writing. I'm in between stuff for now so I have much more time, which is likely why I'm writing so much lately!
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Hello Blue!

Wow...I don't have a prompt to work on last minute. I'm just editing a 50, 876 word story a friend and I are working on for Nano.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Hi Cenor! Don't feel bad; stories take time & sometimes the inspiration just suddenly hits. I wrote one inspired by a dream I had, & others twist up fairy tales, & still others are from something someone said that gave me a great idea.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
That's funny, I've created stories from dreams.

Does anyone have certain characteristics, appearances, or objects that reappear in almost ever story you write?
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
Lol...I have the hyper, overly cheerful, sometimes annoying best friend or some variation thereof in almost all of my stories...I only noticed it just now.

What about you, Mushu?
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Well....its a bit morbid as my mom would call it...At least one of my characters gets maimed or has a scar from a battle. In one story the MC get's a twisted leg trying to escape enemy ground, in another the MC's best friend get's his face cut open. In a short story the MC loses his left arm, gets several broken bones, and cuts and bruises (Well he was fighting a dragon!) and in another SS the MC's head is grazed by a bullet.

Anyone Else?
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Hmmm...There may be a few repeated phrases, but that's all I can think of for myself.
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
Most of my main characters tend to be the same strong silent type who just casually saves everybody. lol! Most characters tend to get really beat up at some point. I should really stop that. Poor guys (and sometimes girls).

So, I had this dream the other night that I had to pretend to be a Lady Penelope and be a lady for one of six knights competing in a tournament. I'm not really sure where Lady P went, but she had to be at the tournament apparently. Also, at one point the knights were playing soccer. It seemed like an interesting story, so I made a note of it and might try and figure out the rest of it. Minus the soccer. Maybe.
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
I don't know, Rhodi...the soccer bit sounds like the most interesting part...
But then, I've always had a thing for random humour.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
That would be excellent, Song! The world needs more childrens' stories.

Blue, a little bit goes a long way. Even if you write a page a day, at the end of the month you will have thirty or so pages for a book done. Keep on keeping on.

As you all know, I use my dreams often. I find that if I write just before, or while I am in bed, I will have dreams about the characters. And the most random occurrences happen in our subconsciousness, as I have mentioned before as well, so I never know what a character will turn into. So, rhodil, I say go for it, no matter how random it seems.

Characteristics: Strong lead characters, and even stronger secondary ones. Strong family relations.

Not quite sure what you mean by appearances, Cenor. Do you mean descriptions? If so...

Descriptions: Since I have been working on one story since forever, two of my three families have blonde hair and one family has black. One of my main characters lost his arm to save his sister. Another character has brain trauma from a confrontation gone bad, and another is so gifted that he is cursed.

Once again, objects are constant because I must keep it so for a constant sense. One of my main male character's wears a rose pendant around his neck as part of a religious practice. One of my girl's ties her hair back with twine decorations. My lead girl has a long sword and carries a leather backpack. Just little things like the above lead to a sense of realism for a character.

Goodness, I am long winded today. Too much Thin Mints flavored coffee for this girl. (Four cups.)

Which brings me to today...Happy Monday!

Prompt Number Five: (I think. Enlighten me if I am incorrect.)

Since we are talking about form, this prompt will be a bit different than the rest. Click on this link. http://goinswriter.com/writing-voice/Then, scroll down just a tad to where it says "An Exercise to Finding Your Voice." Follow the questions through, except for ten, and report back here. If you have issues with the link, let me know, and I can post the questions here.

[Edited on 11/03/2014 by findemaxam48]
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you so much for the encouragement, findemaxam48 (do you go by Maxie?)!
I love this finding your voice exercise! Thanks for posting it! Here are my answers:
1. Romantic, introverted, bubbly
2. Is my writing style how I talk? Some of the time yes, some of the time no. I tend to repeat words like “well” in conversation, which does not bode well in writing. Other than that, I try to use what I think I would say in such a situation (at least I think I do!).
3. My ideal reader is someone who enjoys Middle Earth and its characters. He/she (the latter more likely!) loves the romance. He/she has a sense of wonder as to which direction my story will take. The reader loves life and wants to find ways to improve his/her own life, especially the relational aspect, with my writings. A chocolate addiction is a must. As a history buff, my reader desires to find links to earth’s history within that of my written world, especially as far as clothing is concerned.
4. The Bible, Lord of the Rings, Redwall series, A Bride for Donnigan, by Janette Oke, The O’Malley series by Dee Henderson. These are alike in that they all have romance to some extent. However, the Bible is the only non-fiction work, whereas the rest are fiction. The style of all draws the reader in. They differ also in genre; the Bible has pretty much any genre you could want, but the others are simply one. Redwall and LOTR are both fantasy, while A Bride for Donnigan and the O’Malley series are romance. The former is historical while the latter is suspense.
5. I definitely have cultural influence in my writings. While they are not overly Christian, I do write them from a Christian viewpoint and try to include moral lessons because that is how my culture is. Around here, there is a church on almost every single street corner (it seems) and most people say they are Christians, whether they attend church and have made a statement of faith or not.
6.?(Sorry, I have very few readers; my mom hates to read things on the computer or else she could read & tell me something, & unfortunately my BFF has a folder with several stories I printed out; I need to get that back. Perhaps I can ask this later, or if some of you want to look at my works here on CoE I would love your comments! They should be pretty easy to find.)
7.With my fanfic experiences, I have mostly written as it comes, then when I think I am finished I will go back and do some editing. I usually change very little, and yes I submit it on CoE with just the little bit of editing.
8. Yes, I would certainly read something like my own works.
9. Yes, I enjoy writing! Sometimes I can hardly contain myself and can barely get the words out fast enough because the ideas simply flow out and must be told to the world. It makes me happy that I can give characters their happy endings and that I am free to change the ending if I want (although I know the author wrote it that way for a reason, sometimes I simply must disagree and give my own interpretation).
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I do go by Maxie, or Julia.

Yes, your writing style is how you speak, that is why everyone has a different style. No two people speak in the same manner. Number six is for spoken word, not written. Ask somebody what you sound like when you talk.

Here are my answers...

1-Sarcastic, intelligent, loyal

2-Yes, definitely. But I am not sure how you could make your voice sound loyal. Maybe I can't see it because Im used to hearing myself blather.

3-Someone who wants answers. Literally. That is the only way to describe it. If you are looking for something in the larger world, you will find it in my writing. I may not be able to answer everything for you, but I will present something that you will not be able to cease thinking about.

4-"The Hunger Games" trilogy, by Suzanne Collins, "A Girl of Fire and Thorns" trilogy, by Rae Carson, "The Chemical Garden" trilogy by Lauren Destefano, "LOTR," by Tolkien, and anything by Laurie Halse Anderson. Each involve a strong female character. But they are all, mostly, totally different genres. The style is incredible, and the attention to detail in each book.

5- I always hope that God in my influence. Government touches us all, something a write about deeply, so I would say that it is an influence. And music. All music. Notes are a gateway to the soul of a person, and I believe that people can be analyzed by the music that they listen to, and the books that they read. School influences me, but I don't write about it.

6- I asked my sister. She told me that I sound smart and opinionated.

7-I keep a Trashlist notebook, you all know this. And I use it for planning and working things out.

8- In my opinion, yes.

9- Of course. I have been at it for over half my life. There is no point in stopping now! Sometimes its painful, literally painful, but everything is painful. You don't stop walking if you fall and get a scrape.

OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
Here are my answers:

1. loud, upbeat, thoughtful
2. Uh...you mean, do I talk like the three adjectives? Um...yes. Perhaps without the 'thoughtful'. I do my thinking in between speaking. Except on very, very rare occasions.
3. My ideal reader is intelligent, but he wants things explained. At some point. He quickly spots inaccurate data, as well as subtle hints. He enjoys words and delights in a well turned phrase. He has a good sense of humour, and wants a story to have him laughing fairly frequently. He is not easily bored by psychological ramblings (because if he is, I'm doomed) and he doesn't mind ellipses, parentheses, and em-dashes cluttering the page (once again, if he does, I'm worse than doomed). He recognises characters as the jerks they really are, but is willing to stick with them to the end, because he knows they are going to change, and if they don't, he'll just burn the book. I think that's basically it...
4. Uh...the Bible, the Silmarillion, the updates the dude who runs the NaNo site sends out (seriously, those things are hilarious), fan fics by Erestor, and almost all advertisements (which is weird. I know), especially food or travel related. I have absolutely no idea what these have in common. Any ideas?
5. My Saviour would be my biggest influence. Politics, as well, heavily influence my work. Anything I read influences me, too. Another of my greatest influences is the people in my life and my relationships with them. Just so you know, you guys inspire me. Back when I was working, that was a huge influence.
6. My sis says I sound 'decided'. I think she meant 'opinionated'. My other sister says I sound loud.
7. Uh...no. Not on your life.
8. Well, it's kind of the other way round. I write things because I want to read them. But, yes. I would read my stories, I think.
9. Writing isn't always easy...sometimes I would rather be doing anything but writing (hence why I am over here, instead of working on NaNo like I should be). Still, most of time, writing is like the best sort of play.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
OneSizeFitsAll, it sounds like maybe humor is in everything you like? I know people sometimes find it sacrilegious to say parts of the Bible are funny, but I maintain that God has a great sense of humor; after all, He invented humor! For example, when Balaam's donkey speaks to him and he gets upset rather than shocked, I find it so humorous. Seriously, what kind of person would get mad rather than shocked and excited that their animal is actually talking to them?
Just a theory!
BTW you sound like fun so if you ever want to pm me go for it!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
The NaNo updates are very funny.

I have over 14,000 words for NaNo...I need to cool it.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
1. Imaginative, thoughtful, emotion hider.

2. Is this how I act, yes though sometimes that thoughtfulness slips and I say something silly. I can hide emotions except when I'm trying to be serious and sarcastic. I always end up laughing.

3 My ideal reader would be guys who like fantasy and bloodshed or gals who like fantasy and don't have a weak stomach. They would like to escape into this other world and experience with the characters the victories and defeats, joys and pains. They would like to sit on the edge of the chair watching as the climax unfolded. They would like action and adventure and like that good characters marry good characters but not like too much romance. The reader would feel satisfied at the end of the book, mourn the loss of characters that died, and rejoice when Good won and Evil lost.

4. The Bible, Lord of the Rings, Rise of Aredor, Ranger's Apprentice, and Dash for Khartoum. In each loss is turned into gain, and though I can't say this for the latter book, in each Good triumphs over Evil. Their differences? Well each one is special, one shows the story of our redemption, another the fight to return home, one to vanquish evil, another fights for people and good, and the last shows no matter where you came from, you will be family.

5. Celtic music inspires settings and triumph and New Age, sad or even lonely events. These are the only genres that have inspired me.

6. What is my voice guys? What do I sound like? Cause I have no clue.

7. I do then I go back and edit.

8. My mom thinks I should start out small. Write a children's book and I agree (you know start with a Hobbit and then write a LOTR). Even so I would read what I write ( I kinda half to ).

9. Yes I enjoy it. I can almost feel the ideas tumbling out of my head and onto paper.

10. As I have never published I will write what I feel when I'm writing. Sometimes a character will do something and I will think "Whoa where did that come from and where will it lead?" Often the suspense kills me while I'm writing so I try and hurry up to see what will happen. I will cry with characters or laugh with them. I will feel their pain, (I was reading a book where the MC's leg was crushed and then I realized MY LEG WAS HURTING!) Often I try to act out what my characters are doing.
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
@BlueberryMuffins76, hmmm...I actually thought of that. And God definitely has a sense of humour, and you can find it in the Bible. The main thing that I got stuck on as far as humour goes was the Silmarillion...how is that funny? I did laugh when Feanor was running around fey on the battlefield...but that was pretty much the only time. Otherwise, I would say I LOVE humour, and most of my reading material contains quite a bit, so your theory is probably not far from the truth.
I PMed you just now.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Cenor, the voice or sound thing was how you speak out loud. I have never had the privilege of seeing you face to face or hearing your voice, so I can not answer that for you.

How does music influence your writing?
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
1. Dynamic, fun, sweet. (thanks to Maxie and Gem for the adjectives!)

2. I would say so...writing childrens' books is so far pretty much my favorite genre. I like to make the stories fun and engaging, while at the same time including a moral.

3. My ideal reader would be someone with a good sense of humor. He must have a sense of wonder, as well. He needs to be able to see beauty and magic even in the bleakest and dullest of situations. He should also like sarcasm {because I speak it quite fluently}. If he dislikes fairytales and happily ever afters {or stories that happen in the 'ever after'}, or humorous events, he had better move on to a different author. He should probably also like big words...

4. The Bible, Ranger's Apprentice, Derwood Inc., Pippi Longstocking, and...The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. I know they have things in common...I just can't think of them.

5. My Lord and Savior is a big influence on my writing. I mostly want to write so that I can get something...I don't know...good out there. Something you don't have to say, "Oh, this was a great book, but." because I love it when I can read something and I can tell someone else that there wasn't anything wrong with it, as far as I can tell. I want to write books that teach kids life lessons, while at the same time, amusing them and making them laugh. I love to make people happy. Music also influences me, at least to some extent. It tends to inspire scenes rather than whole stories, though.

6. I asked one of my sisters (the oldest is at college and the youngest is taking a nap...so yes, I only asked one.) she said I sound like an author. I also sound opinionated and blunt.

7. Most likely not...although sometimes during a free-write, I may stumble upon something good, and it may end up being incorporated in some story or other.

8. Perhaps.

9. It really depends. Sometimes I absolutely love it, at other times, I don't. At times when I don't, there is really no point in my sitting down with a notebook, because I most likely will not get anything down on the page in front of me.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Okay speaking out loud. What's my writing voice?

Since I'm a musician and a writer I think they both intertwine. I love putting stories with songs. One is called "First Love" seriously it sounded like the guy lost his first love. So I made up a story to go with it.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Mareth Ravenlock, I love your answer to number 5! That is so admirable to want something good in the written world; I too desire that.
Cenor, do you have any fanfic on here? Perhaps we could tell you about your writing voice better if we could read a story?
<< First2021222324Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email