Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First2122232425Last >>
Author Topic:
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
No I don't sadly, but there is a sprinkling of my writing in this thread just go back a few pages. I can PM you my short story.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, I found it! I really like your story about the young soldier; I think the 1700's is my favorite era of history. Anyway, your voice in this tale is informative and serious, which works really well for this type of story. & if you want to PM your story to me feel free!
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you, Blue. And you can call me Mareth or Mar. Most everyone here calls me one or the other on here.

At least from what I remember, I would say Blue's assessment of your writing voice in the short story is a good one.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
Hey, guys! Our internet has been stupid for awhile so I finally managed to sneak on and post my response.

1- three words… sarcastic, light hearted, loyal.
2- This is me. I’m very protective of my family and friends, I love to make people laugh but I’m also known to get sassy on frequent occasion.
3- My ideal reader loves adventure, healthy doses of action, loves to laugh along with characters. They like to read the sad bits, like the triumph of good over evil, like strong female characters that aren’t overbearing or annoying, and like animals that have their own personality.
4- LOTR, Narnia, Shadow Hawk, Resistance, and The Two Princesses of Bamarre. They are all alike in that they are all adventure stories, have battles against high odds, strong friendships, and some bittersweet endings. Differences? They're all fantasy except for Shadow Hawk which is historical fiction.
5- Influences? God, C.S. Lewis definitely, Tolkien, and I seriously love the book Shadow Hawk by Andre Norton. I think it helped influence some parts of my book.
6- My sisters are basically no help, but one said I sounded funny and smart.
7- I do think that my free writes closely mirror the way I write.
8- I haven’t done any writing recently, but I’ve gone back and done some editing and yes, I would read my stuff. I sometimes wish I could forget that I wrote my stories and experience them as a reader.
9- I can never hate writing while I’m writing. If it starts to feel like work, I stop immediately. I don’t ever want writing to feel like my job.
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
It is my experience that your writing voice sounds just like your speaking voice.

For me, writing is my job. Or it will be. And if writing is my job, I have to do it, no matter what. Sometimes things flow, and sometimes things don't. Words are like rivers- sometimes they are free-flowing, sometimes they overflow, and sometimes they get dammed up. I have been trying lately to write with emotion, not let my emotions dictate my writing.

Happy Monday!

Prompt Number Six:

"What goes around comes around, and now it's right back here to haunt you." -We Are The In Crowd, Manners

"Its your life, what are you going to do? The world is watching you." -Francesca Battistelli, Its Your Life.

Choose one or both of those song lyrics and write a piece reflecting your thoughts on it. It is not necessary to look up the song or listen to it.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Ooh I have an idea for the second. I want to thank you Maxie, I am loving these prompts!
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
You are very come, Cenor!

Here is my piece for the second quote. I believe that I will stick this in my book.

I close my eyes as snow tainted wind brushes my hair. I can breathe. I am not quite dead, but I am not quite alive, either. But I can still breathe.

I can't do anything in this forsaken place without somebody having something to say about it. I can't wear something pretty and I can't wear something nice. I can;t do something good, and God knows, if I do something else bad, there is a good chance that I will be sitting inside of a prison cell. Back home, in my land, every shrub and tree and blade of grass belongs, in part, to me. And my people accept the way that I behave, because they know that there is a reason for every word that escapes my mind and exits my mouth.

I may not be perfect. I may screw up. They may be watching me. My brothers, the one I love...they may be watching me. But my choices are who I am. Every swing of my sword and toss of my head, I can say, "This is me. This is Darkness Harvent."

And I can still breathe.

That is more than those whom dwell beneath the soil can say.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I realized today marks the halfway point of NaNoWriMo! I am not officially participating but I do want to encourage those who are. So good luck and keep on!
Also, does anyone have tips on making a writing voice sound more historical without using fancy words people rarely know nowadays? Does this make sense?
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you, Blue. It is halfway today, whoo! I am just above 26,000 words. We will see what happens.

Try to not tie words together with conjunctions. Instead of can't, say, cannot. Instead of won't, say will not. Also, use a thesaurus to look up modern day words and look for meanings that sound older.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks! Those are great ideas!
& you're welcome! I've unofficially written a bit over 15,000 words. My goal is 30,000 this month, but if I go over I'll be happy!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
So, I guess that prompt crashed and burned. Lets give this one a try...

Prompt Number Seven:

Write about sadness. It can be a poem, a short story, or a song. Just go for it!
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Maxie, your post for the last prompt was very good!

My poems often come from songs I made up. This one is based off a song I thought up just this afternoon. This poem/song deals with sadness, but also hope.

I Will Wait Here

Leaves fall, like so many loved ones.
Ground is frozen, hearts are numb.

Our eyes are red with crying,
Our cheeks are stained with tears.
Our hearts are full of pain,
which lasts through all our years.

How can we go on, when darkness shrouds the world in night?
When our hearts are weary, and longing for light?

"I will never leave you" still bears true today.
We are not alone, and will not be dismayed.

So I will wait here, just wait here,
until night turns to day.

And I will wait here, still wait here,
for sorrow soon will fade away.

[Edited on 11/19/2014 by Eruwestiel_Evensong]
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
That is very good, Song! Do you have any idea of the chords you would like to put with it, if you were to sing it?

OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
Aaaah!! It has been forever since I've been in this thread. *collapses into a convenient chair* I cannot wait for this month to be over.

All these prompts and replies look great! A round of applause for everybody! *claps enthusiastically*

I probably won't have time this week to write out a new reply to the sadness prompt, but I thought I'd post one I wrote a while ago, if that's ok. It's a poem, which I am very nervous about.

Pea Island

A golden path led through the grass
And ended in the sky--
A sky so blue and beckoning
I felt that I could fly.
I felt as though that little track
Would carry me upon its back
And take me up, and up.

I could not bear to climb that dune,
For when I reached the top--
For when I reached that calling sky--
I knew that I should drop.
I knew back to the beaches low
My wistful, weary feet would go
And leave the sky above.

A thousand waves sped up the sand
And offered their embrace;
Indeed, I wished to go to them
And join their merry race.
Indeed, I wished they'd carry me
Across the wild and wandering sea
And bear me far away.

I could not bear to swim those waves
Nor touch their hills of foam--
I knew that once I'd entered them
They'd leave me on my own.
I knew that once those waves so gay
Had turned and sped (too soon!) away,
I could not follow them.

There it is, folks! And now I have to run and write yet MORE NaNo. O.o Arrivederci! See y'all soon, and if not, look for me throwing a party somewhere at the end of the month.
Image"The Corrupteds are going to wake up and find that they are strong." -Cenor
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Gem, that is magnificent! Marvelous! Beautiful! The visuals were lovely, I felt I could really see what was happening.

Bet you couldn't tell that I'm a huge poetry fan.

Maxie, I'm not really sure what mine should be played in. I can make up tunes in my head, but then have no idea how to actually get it down on paper. Feel free to mess around with it if you want.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Your poem is really sad Song I love your poem Gem!

Here is my combined prompts (6 & 7) Warning: I didn't edit.:

I screamed. It was not manly, or because I was frightened, it was a gut-wrenching, horrified, despairing sort of scream. Why? My wife of four years was falling, head first, off a cliff, an arrow piercing her heart. An escape rescue had gone all wrong, I hadn’t planned for that arrow, I hadn’t planned this route along the narrow mountain path. My head spun and I nearly threw myself over the cliff, but at the last moment the Ensalvadorian soldiers were on me, binding my hands tightly behind me. Their captain, a thin-faced cruel brute of a man, yanked my head back by grabbing a handful of my dark brown hair.
“What’s this?” he asked surprised, “I thought we had killed all of the accursed sons of Atnosh.”
“Well I’m still here and alive so I guess you haven’t,” I spat half-heartedly.
“Take him to General Nis and not to kindly,” the captain sneered.
They dragged me back to the Ensalvador camp and to a principal tent, where I guessed Nis resided. I didn’t fight, I couldn’t, there was nothing left but defeat. Nis was a tall man, taller than most of our cabins, but then again, we were not a tall people. I looked apprehensively at his steel-plated pointed boots wondering how much they would hurt and how long before my ribs would crack, it wouldn’t be long, one kick I estimated.
“What is a son of Atnosh doing in my camp?” he asked rhetorically, “oh yes to rescue that pretty girl that just died.”
I had expected him to use physical abuse, not mental, the mention of “that pretty girl” stung like a sword, no worse. He continued.
“Your country has no chance and you never will Ensalvador will overrun you and your weakling rival.”
He was talking about Isrite, our country and Isrite were once one nation but we split and fought against each other for several generations. That is what made us weak and vulnerable to Ensalvador’s attack.
“Your country is going to fall and we are going to pull the last information we need out of you.” He finished leaning over me like a great cat will lean over its prey.
“You’re never going to get anything out of me.” I replied vehemently.
That is when I made the mistake of cursing at him in his own language, I won’t translate, but it had something to do with his mother and cows. The long expected kick came like a bolt of lightning and I felt my ribs buckle.
“Take him to the prison,” Nis growled. “I want him alive but not unspoiled.”
With one last remark about his mother I was dragged out harshly, Nis’ kick intended for my legs caught the air and tent flap nearly setting him off balance. I arrived at the prison with several new bruises, a bloody lip, and a broken rib. After I was securely chained to the wall the guards continued to make sure I was “not unspoiled.” By the time they tired, my own mother, may she walk now in peace, wouldn’t have recognized me. My face was a perfect picture of horror, I could hardly see out of one eye and the other was covered in blood from a cut on my forehead. My clothes were torn and bloody and the shackles already chafed my wrists. But I didn’t care, I couldn’t feel any of the pain for the throbbing of my shattered heart.
“Oh Lilith,” I moaned, “you can’t be dead, I only saw you a moment ago as I cut your bonds. What will I do without you? How can I continue to live?”
At that moment, a guard arrived with my food, but I kicked it back, sending with it a curse. The days dragged on, I didn’t eat, that made me weaker and Nis angrier. Five days later, a young man was dragged into my cell, a guard with a whip followed and another with a bowl of food. The new prisoner was no one but my departed wife’s younger brother, Hadrian.
“Eat.”
Came the command, I started to kick the bowl but the guard with the whip raised it to strike Hadrian.
“I’ll eat,” I said quickly grabbing the bowl, Hadrian was young and defenseless I couldn’t let them beat him because of my stubbornness.
The guards laughed, evidently, their plan had worked. They left us alone, I hoped that I would not be the first to break Lilith’s death to him.
“What have they done to you?” he asked too shocked to say anything else.
“They gave me some of Nis’ hospitality, he was too busy to give it himself,” I replied grimly.
He sat there, as if not sure what to say, “I’m sorry.”
I knew what he meant, the grief was rushing back like a flood and it was dragging all hope from me.
“Don’t be,” I choked, “it wasn’t your fault.”
“Don’t you give up,” Hadrian continued, evidently he had guessed my present state of mind. “Jud needs you, the people need you, your our only hope.”
After an hour worth of lecturing from him, hope begin to bud within me. His last words did the trick.
“Do it for her.”
When I was feeling better, five days later, Nis himself came down to our cell. The visit was due to my kicking his guard’s ankle, and breaking it, my shackle had done most of the breaking though.
“You might want to find a new guard. That other one's kinda injured. And an idiot, but I think that's hereditary.” I said motioning to the limping guard.
“Well I see your better,” he replied crossly. “But that will not do you any good. I have come here to tell you that you will die tomorrow.”
“Oh?” I queried, “I’m sure you have prepared the most wonderful death for me.”
He glared at me but continued, “I have invited all your lords, unarmed of course, to the hanging.
“Oh a hanging,” I interrupted, this time I received a glare and a kick.
“You are to be dragged around the camp at the heels of two horses at full gallop then hung like a common criminal.”
“Fun,” I said, “matter of fact you deserve a hug for all that you have done for me. Tightly. Around the neck. Preferably with a rope.”
He laughed and left the cell, a new guard replaced the injured one, he kept well away from my reach. The new guard took pleasure in taunting me about my coming death. He had just finished describing how my body would be cut up and sent to all the provinces. Hadrian was pale and looked as if he was going to be sick.
“Before you go on,” I drawled, “give me a second to put on my scared face.”
I placed an imaginary expression on my face while the guard looked at me as if I was crazy.
“I know,” I continued, “it looks a lot like my bored face...oh wait, sorry, it is my bored face. Let me give you a tip - if you're going to threaten someone, make it believable.”
If the guard wasn’t scared of my notorious kicks he would have probably given me a few of his own but he lapsed into a sullen silence. That at least shut his mouth up and Hadrian started to look better, though he was still pale. My death came to soon. I was displayed before all of Juden’s lords and soldiers, all unarmed of course . By the time the horses had dragged me around the camp half a dozen times I was covered with blood, mud, and grass and was truly a despicable sight. Their groans and moans of pity mingled with the Ensalvadorians laughs and mockery. Nis approached me, he was still wearing those boots.
“Are you going to kill me now?” I asked.
“Yes.” he laughed.
I groaned and he looked at me with triumph.
“Are you afraid of death?” he sneered.
“No, I just won’t get the satisfaction of watching you get defeated and sent back to Ensalvador with your tail in-between you legs, and I've been looking forward to that for a while now.”
He cursed and dragged me onto the hanging platform. I noticed that the rope was tied so that I would have to jump and kick before my neck finally broke. He securely fastened the noose around my throat.
“Any last words Nathaniel?”
Yes, Nathaniel is my name--not very lordly but it had helped in my acceptance as a peasant.
“I hope you soul goes to the Eternal Fire when you die.”
Nis jeered at me and lifted his foot to kick the stool out from under me. I had only a split second to act. The stool started to roll out from under me and I leaped, pushing it off the platform. I had snatched a knife from Nis’ belt and had sawed away the cords binding my hands, now I sliced furiously at the rope around my neck. I had cut most of it by the time I came down hard, swinging like a tavern’s sign in the wind. The last piece broke just as I was just starting to suffer from strangling. I could hear the rest of my army emerging from the woods on either side trapping the Ensalvadorian army. At least their timing was perfect, I had spent too long planning this for them not to be. Each hidden soldier carried two swords, one he kept for himself, the other he handed to one of the unarmed soldiers. I got up, slowly and a bit painfully and surveyed the scene. Nis was gone, like the coward that he is, I was a bit disappointed, I had expected him to try and kill me and then leave. His black horse was disappearing into the mountains and I turned to focus on the enemy soldiers who were retreating as fast as their fat legs would take them. I smiled and limped down the stairs of the platform.
=================
My servant adjusted my cloak for the sixth time in five minutes. He was nervous; I couldn’t blame him because the butterflies were throwing a party in my own stomach. It had been a year since my capture and Lilith's death and I had spent every spare minute cleaning up Ensalvador's mess. He left the room presently leaving me alone. Today was my coronation. Ha! I bet you didn’t guess that I was a prince soon to be king. Well I never wanted to be king to tell you the truth. I had 12 older brothers, who would have guessed that all of them would be killed in the span of five months? Well, I didn’t. That’s why I ran away, married, and started a family. I had no interest in being a royal. But fate had pulled me back and now I was going to be king, whether I wanted to or not. My chief councilor poked his head in.
“The country awaits you my lord.”
“I know Knoing, that’s what troubles me.” I replied uneasy.
“You know you can chose my lord no one is forcing you.”
“I’ll be there Knoing.”
“Yes my lord.”
He bowed his head and scurried away. I sighed, the whole world seemed to be watching me, wondering what I would do. But I knew my duty. Jud needed me, her people needed me, my two children needed me, Lilith would have wanted me to. I smiled and blew a kiss towards the heavens where she danced. The trumpets sounded outside. Taking a deep breath I parted the curtain, the final barrier from the crown.
“Do you Nathaniel Atnoshson take the crown of Jud?” the priest chanted.

“I will be Jud’s king.”

I will take constructive comments please.

[Edited on 11/18/2014 by Cenor]
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
I love your poems, Song and Gem! Both of them are positively magnificent.

And wow, Cenor...I loved that short story thing! Pretty much all I can see that needs help is punctuation, and perhaps a few grammatical errors. Other than that, I loved it.

I'll be thinking on this prompt, Maxie, and hopefully I can come up with something soon...
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Cenor, that is very good! Some parts of the action seemed to happen a bit fast, but filling it out a little more would help with that.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks...that is my main problem with my stories, punctuation and grammatical errors. I did forget to say that this is based off of a book though I have gone blank on the title...grrr...

Is there anything that you particularly loved?
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Cenor, I also enjoyed your story! I particularly like how you picture Nathaniel's emotions; it is quite easy to empathize with him.

So I realized a few minutes ago that Maxie's prompt was for more than just poetry! By the way, the poems are very good, and I admit I am not a poetry fan!

So here is a segment from a new story I have started; to give some background it is about a girl living in the Southwest Territory in the late 1700's; she's 18 as she's writing this. It is my first attempt at historical fiction and first person.

"Let us commence speaking of myself; I suppose I should tell you the bane of my existence right away: I am not yet married. Actually, I am becoming rather well-known for being a spinster; I am obviously the oldest daughter in my family, so ever since I was five years old I have had the task of spinning, and later weaving, and all the hard work that goes into making our clothes, as is the custom. You see, Mother was a Quaker before she married my father, William Jr., and has brought her beliefs into their marriage. She hates for Father to spend money on store-bought items when we can make our own, even if it is very hard work; after all, good stewardship is our Christian duty, dating back to Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. I do find it rather rewarding to reveal my finished works of yarn and later fabric, but only of wool. I loathe flax, which turns into linen, but I do enjoy wool, even if it is rather itchy at times. The reason I despise flax so is because it takes so long to make anything from it, about eighteen months total from the planting of the seeds until the garment is sewn. Growing the plant does take a few months, then around another week for it to dry, two weeks for retting (which is where it either lies in the dew or soaks in the pond to soften the hull), and still more time to break, scutch, hackle, and finally spin and weave it. But I am likely boring you.
I am sure you all would like an example of my life as a spinster and the gossip it ensues. Although I love my fellow church members in Christ (we are Methodists), I will admit the older women pass on more than factual information about me. On a typical Sunday I overhear numerous times about my state as quiet single. It goes something like this (and I shall protect their names):
Mrs. Smith will say to Mrs. Jones, “Eliza does not have a beau yet, does she?”
The reply is generally along these lines. “No, not that I have heard. The poor thing. Between her high standards and the strictness of her father she will never find a husband. I do believe she shall stay a spinster.”
The first woman will tut-tut and express her sympathies, then they will discuss how ridiculous they think my standards are. As you can likely imagine, I feel rather worthless and unlovable upon hearing such discussions. They act as though I am the one to blame for my spinsterhood, forgetting that Father is the one who must decide whether or not a man has permission to court and later marry me. AS for my personal standards, really all I ask is that he first love God, then me. Yes, he needs to be able to support me and it would be lovely to have some farm animals such as a cow, some chickens, a few sheep and goats, and perhaps some pigs and a horse or two. I am happy with the simple one-room home most people have. However, I will agree that my father is rather strict and will not be satisfied with anyone. He is rather overprotective and simply wants to ensure I have the best that I can, which likely is nonexistent in his mind. Perhaps he also fears my heart shall break yet again.
Here is where I shall tell the tragic story of my lost love. There once was a young man who came to call. He went to church with my family so I saw him every Sunday. I always liked him; such as gentleman and not uncouth as some men who have lived here in the Territory longer can sometimes become. He always treated me like a queen and it made me feel so special, even if he treated all ladies in the same manner and my male family members treat their womenfolk as such too. The local blacksmith took him on as an apprentice when he was twelve and he learned the trade quite well, an expert by the time he was sixteen. Two years later, when he was eighteen and I sixteen, he asked Father is he could come to call, and he gave his permission. Then he asked me personally after church one day!
“Miss Eliza,” he started nervously (there are too many bearing my last name to warrant such formality), “I would like to ask you a question if you do not mind,” – he was always so polite!
I smiled at him and replied, “Of course!”
He held his hat in his hands, wringing it nervously and took a while to become brave enough to continue. And finally he inquired, “Miss Eliza, I saw your father last week and asked for his permission to court you, which he graciously granted. Now I want to ask you if this is something in which you would be interested?”
My heart beat wildly, thrilled almost beyond belief and I had to greatly restrain myself. I appeared calm and answered, “I should like that very much!”
He grinned, and I smiled back. Next it was time to decide when, rather sooner than I expected. “Do you think we could take a carriage ride this afternoon, with your sister and anyone else who would like to come?”
That sounded rather romantic, even if Fanny (my sister) had to tag along in order to make things seemly between us. “Yes! That would be lovely. I can even pack some food for later.” Thus began a beautiful friendship and courtship which lasted a year
Unfortunately, tragedy made its way to my doorstep and caused my heart to be torn in two. I mentioned he became a blacksmith and was very skilled in his trade. However, even the best and most careful men can make mistakes and accidents will happen as a result. I was never told the details, but something went wrong in his shop one day and he was killed before he even had the chance to ask me to marry him, which I would have done right away. I miss him to this day. I believe I truly loved him and I admit losing him has made it rather hard for me to think about any other man, although I firmly insist that if the right one should come along he shall ease my pain and cause me to forget about the shallow love we had, bringing me into a deeper affection than I can imagine. However, such a person has yet to make his way into my life. Father wished he could do something to ease my heartbreak but , alas, was unable to do so, which is why I think he is so reluctant to grant another man permission to court me.
Actually, I fight with my emotions on a daily basis. I greatly desire to wed and experience a wonderful marriage, yet between the church gossips and my broken heart, many times I still feel as if the situation is my fault somehow. I worry that perhaps he did not love me and thus did not think about taking greater care in his work. Then I fear that my mind is stained from our short relationship, as pure as it was, and that somehow any other man shall know he is my second rather than first love. Thus you can see how this is the bane of my existence."

And yes, it does need some editing to make it smoother, & I am open to suggestions!
SadroTook
Council Member
Send Message
Tegerus watched with horror. The city, his city, was burning. They had been told that the mountain would never erupt, pacified with lies. They had been leading peaceful lives, oblivious to the looming monster hovering above them. Too late, they were now realizing their mistake. Too late. Mount Vesuvius had belched forth its toxic breath, and hundreds of people were dying. Tegerus could hear them screaming as they ran past him, groaning as they were smothered to death. His own fate would be no different, he knew. Instead of running from it, though, he stood firmly, bravely, prepared to face it. He had loved this city. He had lived his whole life here. This was home. As the fumes began to overpower him, he looked up at the sky. Ashes from the mountain covered the sun. Darkness had fallen on the city of Pompeii.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Cenor, your story was good. Just focus on showing more than telling things, and watch your grammar and punctuation.

Blue, same to you. I think I told you about the showing and telling thing in a PM. I have trouble with it myself.

Sadro, once again, welcome! I like your short story very much.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Yeah and I kinda rushed...not good.Thankfully it is my first draft. Thanks for the comments!

I love your story Blue! I am working on a historical fiction as well!

Sadro, I love your images!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Here is mine!

My world is black and spider gray,
the colors have dimmed, and the edges fray,
couldn't know the price to pay,
when you cannot see the light of day.
Anger screams and shadows lay,
attack your heart, and so they may,
fighting to see a single ray,
the sun, the sun, I cannot say,
when and if I will find my way.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks Maxie! You did tell me that, but I obviously need to work really hard on showing rather than telling, although that is why I wrote the conversations the way I did. I know this one definitely needs work!
& I want to compliment you on using the same ending sound for the entire poem! I'm not sure I've ever seen that done for so long.
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
Good job to everybody!!

Cenor, I like your character. He's easy to relate to and to understand, in part. A few parts of the story felt kind of rushed and rough around the edges, but that was your first draft...a revision or two should improve it greatly.

Blue, I like your voice in your story. It felt like the character really was speaking from the time period in which the story is set. My one main issue is how long it took to get to the actual centre piece of the story...her tragic romance. I would personally spend a little less time setting up the part about how she is single, and on her way to spinsterhood. Though of course, that's just my opinion.

Sadro, I really like how you conveyed all the emotions and images in a very short little piece. I could really see this happening as I read it...I could actually feel Tegerus's horror. It might make it more powerful to break it up into smaller paragraphs, but, ultimately, that's a matter of taste. It being so short, there really isn't a whole lot else to constructively criticise.

Maxie, I, too, like how all the lines end with the same sound. Also, I love how the very sound and rhythm of the poem convey the mood, even when you aren't paying attention to the words. My main issue would be that it's a little confusing, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing in poetry. If you're trying to convey the mood more than a specific message that needs to be stressed, I would say that's absolutely fine. The only other problem I can see is that the word "lay" needs to be followed by a direct object...you probably meant, the shadows "lie". (A link if you really want to make sure...http://www.chompchomp.com/handouts/irregularrules02.pdf) But don't stress too much about it. I'm just a little bit of a Grammar Nazi.

Again, great work to you all!! I had so much fun reading over the submissions!
Image"The Corrupteds are going to wake up and find that they are strong." -Cenor
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Great prompts, y'all! And welcome back, Sadro!

Here is mine...it's still a pretty rough draft. I'm kind of nervous about it...

Anyways, I hope you all like it. Constructive criticism much appreciated.

~~~ ----------------- ~~~

Tempest was running. She couldn't remember why; she couldn't think of anything else. She knew that her very existence depended on running, but she couldn't think why.

She stumbled, and almost fell, at the last moment regaining her balance. The only sounds were the rhythmic pound of her bare feet on the cold earth and the wind blowing through the leaves of the trees. She ran until she could go no farther. Then she leaned over and placed her hands on her knees, gasping in the cold night air. Her mass of unruly black curls was tossed about by the strong winds.

And then she remembered.

Her grandfather, brave, stubborn old man that he was, had saved her life. And in so doing, he had forfeited his own.

They had been captured by the soldiers, and they were being led away to Camp Argotha. Tempest knew that they who entered that camp never came out again.

At least, they never came out alive.

She forced the fog in her mind to clear. Tempest remembered now. She and her grandfather were back-to-back as the guards advanced. “Steady,” her grandfather's calm voice spoke close to her ear. He reached behind himself and picked up her hand, placed it on the small satchel he had hanging down his left side. She felt a lump there. The bomb! So he still had it! She felt hopeful once more. Then her hopes were dashed as she realized he would never be able to light it and throw it...there wasn't enough time. Then she realized: He didn't intend to throw it. Even as this thought entered her mind, her grandfather's urgent voice yelled, “Run, Tempest! Run and don't look back!” She bolted. The guard nearest her was a fraction of a second to late in his dive for her legs. He came crashing down, entangling another guard as he did so. She heard the dreaded striking of a match, then the sound of an explosion, and the sound of a dozen agonized screams. She felt the searing heat of the explosion, even though she was several feet away by this time. She knew what had happened; tears stung her eyes as she ran, making it difficult to see. Angrily, she dashed them from her eyes and determined that her grandfather's sacrifice would not be in vain. She pushed all thought of what had just happened from her mind. Fear lent wings to her feet as she fled.

And now she had time to think about the horror of those moments. She couldn't stop playing that scene over and over again in her mind.

Once the shock wore off, she wished it hadn't. The pain, suffering, and guilt she felt now as she thought of her beloved grandfather was indescribably horrific.

A heartwrenching sob broke from deep within her soul. She sank to her knees, wrapping her arms around her and rocking back in worth. She didn't care that the guards might catch her now. It might be better if they did, she thought miserably. She had just prolonged the inevitable when she had escaped their clutches earlier. She wondered briefly how they would go about murdering her, and what they would do with her remains afterwards.

And then she felt nothing.

Nothing but agonizing sorrow.

[Edited on 11/20/2014 by Mareth_Ravenlock]
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks, OneSizeFitsAll! I will definitely try to work on that section so it goes right into her sadness rather than setting up. I think my main problem with writing is that I am very concise & prefer to just drop things onto the table, so to speak, so when I actually set the stage for something I go overboard & take too long. Not to mention I'm horrible at descriptions. Does anyone have suggestions as to how to fix this? For this particular story I think I will use another section to explain about her work and what it means to be a spinster.

Mareth_Ravenlock, I really like your story! However, things seem to happen a bit more quickly than some people like and I feel it does not flow as well as it could because of that. Perhaps you could talk about her emotional upheaval more? I'm not sure what else to suggest. The storyline is certainly captivating!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Blue, thank you, I tried. We did a whole unit on rhyme in Creative Writing last year. That is called slant rhyme.

OneSize, I used "lay" because shadows are personified in the way I wrote it. Sort of like a metaphysical thing, like a ghost. I can alter the poem to say ghost, if you all wish. I wrote it in about thirty seconds, and I rarely edit my poetry, because the sound that comes out in poetry comes out as the most natural.

Oh, goodness, Mareth...so sad. Your pacing is good. I like that we don't get a lot of back story, as far as the actual bombing goes and such. That could definitely be worked on as you expand the piece.

OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
Mareth, great job! I like how your story pulls the reader in right off the bat and captivates his interest (at least, it did mine), and, for the most part, the visuals are really good. I would try breaking up that one big paragraph into smaller ones. It's a little awkward in places...but a little more editing should be able to fix that.

Blue, you're welcome! It's okay to put a little bit of setup...I just thought that, for a story the length of yours, there was a little too much. I think I know your issue, if I understand what you're saying, correctly. I, too, tend to want to make sure everything is perfectly clear and makes complete sense, and it is very easy to take way too long about it. Is that sort of like what you were saying? Hm...well, here's an idea, though I'm not entirely sure that it will work, or that you will like it. You could try to move some of the information about her "spinsterhood", if that's a good term, to the end...for example, you could tell about how everyone likes to gossip about her being single after she finishes telling about her tragic romance. Not only would this shorten the set up...it could also be used to conclude the story a little less abruptly. I'm not sure if it would work or not, not having actually tried rewriting it that way, but it's something to think about.

Maxie, oh, yes. I understood that the shadows were being personified...I meant that...oh...this is hard to explain. I'll give it a shot, but, as I said, it's not a big deal. You don't have to read this, and you don't have to change it.
The word "lay" means "to put something (or someone) down". It's a transitive verb, so a direct object will almost always follow it. "Lie", on the other hand, means "to rest, or recline".
I believe I am correct in thinking that you meant that the shadows reclined (in a manner), not that the shadows put (something) down? Correct me if I'm wrong.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, I know. Since the poem was about sadness, I thought lay would work with "put downs, which would create sadness. I am confusing, aren't I?
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks, everyone. I will edit my piece some more, and maybe I will be able to build a story off of it.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks OneSizeFitsAll! That is sort of what I mean. I'm not very good at explaining things lol & I guess I didn't make it clear that this is an excerpt from a bigger story. I will definitely try out moving the gossiping part to the end. I'm not happy with how any of it is flowing (well really it's not flowing lol). It is hard to balance too much info with too little.
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
Hey guys! My email apparently hasn't been sending me updates to this thread. lol! Great job! These all sound great!
Mine will be just an excerpt from the book I'm editing right now. I've taken out a name so hopefully there will be no spoilers if y'all read it.
So backstory, Corin is my main character. There's just been a humongous battle and he just buried quite a few of his men. Karif is his hawk and Gwilym is an orphan that Corin and his men basically adopted.

Corin led the his men on one final patrol. They made camp at sunset, eating and resting. Corin woke before dawn. Unable to sleep again he rose and walked some distance from the camp. A small stream gurgled and he came to stand by it. The setting moon cast shadows through the trees and in the distance a wolf howled to his companions. The scimitar felt heavy in Corin’s hands and he dropped it. He sank down against a tree as he began to weep.
He wept for his friend. He wept for the men who had died. For the widows and orphans created by war. For those he had killed and those he couldn’t save. For Castimir. For the destruction wreaked by war. He wept for Gwilym who had lost another part of his family. He wept until he could no more.
Karif landed on the sheath of the fallen sword. Corin looked up and saw that the dawn had come. He listened in silence as the birds began their song to greet the new day. He let it comfort him as it had since he had come back to Aredor. After a long moment he rose and washed the traces of tears from his face. He took up his sword and returned to camp.
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
rhodilwen, I love your story! I particularly like how Corin weeps and it does not make him seem unmanly but rather more of a man because he truly cares about others.
<< First2122232425Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email