Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First3839404142Last >>
Author Topic:
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Maldor was grateful to Eleniel for catching the jar but he noticed her hands. He put the jar on the shelf and went to her. "Eleniel, come, I will put some balm on your hands. It is called aloe and is very soothing."

Linriel glanced at Harn and noticed the boy had stopped reading and just stared, his eyes were glazed. He seems to be having a memory of something, something not very pleasant She watched Harn for a few more moments and then decided to approach him.

"Harn? Harn?" she said. The boy looked at Linriel and still seemed to be dazed. "Harn? What is it? What is wrong? Can you tell me?" The boy closed the book and walked away with his head down.

We all have memories that cause us pain.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
Beriadanwen was annoyed to be back in Lorien. It seemed that their path would continually take them here, and a new adventure would commence, whirling them away to a new destination before pulling them back to the central point, as if fate were making a dance of their lives. Dancing is enjoyable only so long as one likes their partner, but too long spent in their company can lead to boredom and irritation. She longed for a dance in which one changes partners in a continuous circle. She also longed for a dance in which one song ends and after a little hesitation the next begins, but there is no change in the steps. She had participated in far too many dances that ended much too soon for her liking.
If anyone had happened to look out of a window on the east side of the palace, they might have noticed two figures in the darkness, dancing in a square bordered by living plants, out of time with the dancers inside but perfectly in time with each other.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Eleniel walked into a corner of the flet with the healer. Bringing up their previous exchange, she said, "I meant that it is too late for me to begin the healing arts now. Too many have heard of my name,and they have heard of it through my father. Far too many attach the name Bildarion with disgrace."

The aloe on her hands was soothing and cool.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Maldor continued to apply the aloe to Eleniel's hands but he stopped at her words. He did not let go of her hands.

"Eleniel, all who know Bildarion know that he is good and kind and wise. His actions have always been for the best. Your father is a brave and noble Elf. Those who do not understand what he is doing, are prone to think ill of him. His actions must remain secretive for the good of all. I know you have been estranged from your father for a very long time. When he returns, I am certain he will have much to tell you and I would hope your relationship with each other will be much improved."

Maldor continued talking to Eleniel. "Dear maiden, what does your father have to do with what you want in your life? You have your own future to consider. His actions, although they appear to be traitorous, have nothing to do with you. One day, the doubters will know of the good deeds of your father and all will raise their cups to him." Maldor continued massaging the aloe onto Eleniel's hands.

Liniriel watched the exchange between Maldor and Eleniel. She knew the healer was giving wise words to Eleniel. He has always been a trusted friend

Linriel noticed Harn walking away and going into the woods. She knew Maldor and Eleniel will continue talking and she did not wish to disturb them so she quietly left the healing flet. She did not see Harn but thought to go and look for him so she started for the woods. On she walked until she came to a small path going in another direction. She quietly followed the barely used path until she saw the boy, leaning against a tree.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
The healer was wise. Eleniel knew that many who dwelled in Lorien harbored such intelligence, and besides Linriel, she had not witnessed it before.

"I do know that my destiny is mine to create," She said softly, "but there are many who still see a name, but not a soul."
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Harn leaned back against the strong trunk of a tree. He could sense Linriel's presance before she stepped into sight.
"Linriel," he began, "why does Death take those who don't want him yet leaves those who do?"
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Maldor replied to Eleniel. "You must learn that your life does not depend on what others may think of you or of your father. The ones who might judge you because of your father are not those who should concern you. You are your own person. You have your own path in life. I know how difficult it must be to have seen your father after all these years and then finding out that he and Linriel were once going to wed must have really surprised you." Maldor smiled. "I think you were as much a surprise to Linriel as she was to you."

Maldor went to the shelf filled with jars of herbs and plants. "Healing is a great art. For some, it might take years to become skilled, with others the time is shorter. You have plants in your pouch so you already have some knowledge. Sometimes all you need to know is how to stop bleeding or cure a poison. Those skills can be an advantage in the wild. But enough of this for now. Are you hungry? Let us go find some fruit and cheese. We can talk on the way."

Linriel stepped around the tree and looked at Harn with thoughtful eyes. Men have such a fear of death. But their lifespan is so short compared to an Elf.

"Harn, it always seems that Death takes those who should live and leaves behind those who desire to die. We cannot chose when Death comes nor can we chose who Death takes."

Linriel sat on the ground and bade Harn to do the same. "What troubles you, Harn? Your words cause me concern."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Although she was still slightly full from her lunch with Linriel, Eleniel did not object to partaking of a meal with the healer. Maldor, she reminded herself. Friends refer to each other by their names, not their titles.

as they walked, they passed by the stable. Eleniel thought of her new hoofed companion, and smiled. A name would be in order for her mount.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"I...used to...want to die," Harn stammered. "But after we came here I haven't as much...haven't at all. I just wanted to know. It must be wonderful to live forever with friends that live forever."
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Maldor and Eleniel began to walk. It was a beautiful sunny day. They walked past the stables and Eleniel glanced in as they strolled by. Maldor noticed a smile cross Eleniel's face as she looked into the stables. "Ah, you smile as we walk by. That can only mean one thing. You have chosen a mount. Come, let us go inside. Show me your horse."

Linriel said nothing for a while as Harn's words stayed with her. She knew her race was long lived. Thousands and thousands of years pass by and still an Elf has breath. Man is not so fortunate. Their lifespan is but a day compared to that of an Elf. She could not even imagine what would bring Harn to no longer want to live.

"I cannot deny my long life has brought me much joy, but it also brings sorrow. I have experienced loss of friends and most recently that of my mother. But we do not know when Death might take us. I can be killed in battle or I can simply fade to the Halls of Mandos out of grief and sorrow. Compared to me, Harn, I know your life seems short but it is how you live the life that is given to you that matters. I cannot give you immortality but I can give you this." She took Harn's hands in her own. "I can give you my friendship until the end of your days. I can give you strength. I can give you counsel. I can give you hope." Linriel looked deeper into Harn's eyes. "Let these beautiful woods give you comfort. Let the wind take your cares away. Let the sun shine upon you and bring you peace. Here in Lorien, give yourself to the love and friendship you can find within your own heart. Do not ever want to die. Life is a gift. A gift we all must cherish."

Linriel said no more. She did not know what else to say.

[Edited on 10/01/2014 by Lindarielwen]
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Harn smiled, "Thank you Linriel. Now," he said changing the subject, "Tell me about your Lady."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Eleniel and Maldor went inside. Soft sunlight still fell over the windows, sending pale rays over the animals within.

Eleniel led Maldor over to her horse, which whinnied happily. "This is him," The maiden said, stroking her horses mane.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Maldor was touched as he watched Eleniel with her horse. The horse is perfect for her "Have you ridden him? A name? Have you been thinking of a name? Sometimes a name comes after many meetings with a new horse."

Harn wants me to tell him of Galadriel. What do I tell him? That she was like a mother to me when my own mother left? Thinking of her mother made Linriel pause. Today is my mother's day of birth. Alassea nosta, Amme.

Linriel looked at Harn with a smile. "You wish to know about Galadriel. Would it surprise you to know that she nears 10,000 years old? She has a long and noble history, but my time with her has been about 1,000 years. My mother and Galadriel were best of friends so my mother always brought me here to Lorien when she came to visit, which was quite often. Galadriel watched me as a child, running among the mallorn trees. When I refused to go to the West with my family, I remained here in Lorien. That was some 500 years ago. Galadriel made sure I was well taken care of. It was her shoulder I cried on in days of despair. She is wise and just but is not very tolerant of liars or deceivers. If you need counsel, she will give it. Never hesitate to talk to her, Harn. I expect we shall all be together soon and will partake in a delicious evening meal."

Linriel stood. "Are you hungry, Harn? We can go to the dining hall for some light refreshment."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"I have no name," Eleniel said as her horse nuzzled her pocket for another treat. "But I am sure that one will come."

The two continued onward.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Linriel and Harn walked along the path. It was a beautiful day. The leaves rustled in the soft breeze and butterflies made their way from flower to flower. Voices could be heard, laughing and singing.

For some reason, Linriel's thoughts turned to Merilwen and Beriadanwen, the delightful Elven cousins. She wondered how they fared and hoped to see them soon.

[Edited on 10/03/2014 by Lindarielwen]
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Harn stared amazed, he had seen her and she looked so young.
"I will never turn down food," he said lightheartedly.
The two walked silently through the forest.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
As Eleniel and Maldor went into the dining room, they saw Linriel and Harn enter. Reunited, the group sat down.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Linriel smiled at seeing her friends. She thought about the last time all her friends were in one place.

When last we were all together, we were on our way to Mordor to rescue Iellwen from a band of orcs. So much has happened since then. So many of our party are no longer with us. Iellwen decided to stay with the orcs. Adonneniel is somewhere here in Lorien. Where are Ella and Fili? They have not been seen since Mirkwood. But now, I am with new friends. I hope to meet up with the cousins soon.

Linriel shook her head as she thought of one other. Thurinlass. His mission has taken him far away. She tried not to think of the Firstborn Elf who vowed to protect her. Bildarion was once again leaving and asked Thurinlass to keep watch over me. But then, he as well, had to leave. Everyone I care about just leaves. Her thoughts turned briefly to Aragil.

A serving Elf brought some plates of fruit and cheese and set them on the table along with a pitcher of wine. Harn wondered aloud when they might speak with Galadriel just as a soft glow began to fill the room. All grew still as Galadriel entered the dining hall. The Lady looked about and noticed the little group at a table tucked into the back of the hall and she went to join them.

The friends stood up as Galadriel came to their table. "Sit, sit. We shall have some light food and share some of our thoughts. I trust you all are comfortable and are enjoying your stay in Lorien." said Galadriel. Linriel noticed Harn was not moving. He was just staring at Galadriel. The Lady turned to him. "Harn, perhaps we can walk in the gardens this night."

Galadriel looked into Linriel's eyes but did not speak aloud. Linriel, it seems your heart is still troubled. Do not fear. Your life will be long and happy. You must not doubt this. The Elf maiden smiled at Galadriel and then reached for her cup of wine.

[Edited on 10/06/2014 by Lindarielwen]
Mr.Panda39
Council Member
Send Message
Thurinlass rode like thunder down the forgotten paths down from Mirkwood. He come careening down the rode like one driven mad. He had ridden as such from Erebor of the Dwarves to Mithlond, then Imladris, then seeking Mithrandir and after this to Thranduil's halls. Now at the last he bears desperate tidings to the Lady Galadriel. Fair trees encompass him on all sides as he passes into her realm.

The wardens of the Golden Wood bar his way and he checks his horse Ilma to a trot and then a halt. "Who comes hither with such haste to Lothlorien, you may not pass the way!" They declare to him, but Thurinlass threw back my hood and spoke these words, "Let me pass. I bear word from Thranduil to the White lady, let me pass! You have beheld me before and are commanded to permit me entrance, I say again, let me pass!" And with that, then fell back before him for he would be stayed no longer. Thurinlass urged Ilma on with greatest speed and galloped down the Elven road he had know for so long.

At whiles he came to Caras Galadhon and there, dismounting and speaking kind words of thanks to Ilma, he strode forward with all the speed a Vanyar has within him. Indeed many who saw him moved away, either recognizing him and knowing he was not to be hindered, or knowing little of him and therefore wishing not to bring him to greater wrath that what he appeared already to posses. He came quickly to a guard of the city and inquired where the Lady Galadriel was. "Master Messenger," The guard started, "She is in a banquet and is not to be disturbed." This would not do. "Well I bring urgent tidings from our kindred in the North and she must hear them, now." After some convincing the guard pointed him to her.

Thurinlass came suddenly into the room, thrusting the doors open. There he stood, golden haired Elf of Inwe's house, clothed in the grey raiment of the Dunedain of the north, soaked, travel worn, and strangest of all to those who looked upon, boots. He strode across the hall, full of well clad lords and ladies making directly for a none to pleased Galadriel when something stopped him dead in his tracks, frozen as one turned suddenly to stone he beheld she whom he least expected to see, even here-- Linriel. Thurinlass had no words.
The sky is afire with wroth, and the rivers are red with blood.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Linriel raised her cup to drink when suddenly the door to the dining hall burst open. She looked first at Galadriel who had a frown upon her lovely face. With a questioning look, Linriel turned to see what was happening that caused such a look on the fair face of The Lady.

The Elf maiden, without warning, seemed to loose all her breath as she saw who strode into the room. Linriel stood on shaking legs, still holding her cup. No! No! This cannot be! She blinked her eyes as if in a daze and looked again at the lordly Elf with the golden hair. Her cup of wine, slipped from her hands and fell to the floor.

Tears welled in her turquoise eyes. She wanted to speak, but could not.

Thurinlass!
Mr.Panda39
Council Member
Send Message
Thurinlass stood as though he had been stricken dumb. He blinked and looked upon her. Immediately all thought for his errand was cast from his mind. He wandered like one walking in a dream towards her and the whole room now had fallen silent. "Linriel?" he said as though he believed not his own eyes, "Can it be I have found you once more? Allase ar Silme!" Joy and starlight! He proclaimed. Then suddenly, as though he had woken from some hallucination, some lucid dream of the past, he took a step towards her, a strong decided step. But it was then that a cold voice rang out, "Thurinlass." The White Lady said, not too loudly but quite commandingly. All at once He was once again aware of why he had come to disturb the feast. He turned to Galadriel but first spoke within Linriel's mind, Soon we will speak. "Why have you disturbed us?" The Lady asked him. He went up to her and in her ear spoke that he had urgent tidings that she must her presently.

After a few moments alone Thurinlass and Galadriel returned to the feast, "I apologize to you, Lords and Ladies." Thurinlass started, "Some things cannot wait for the end of merrymaking. But now all is set in order, so return thee to thine plate and glass, and forget the trouble that I have caused you I pray of you." After this, and a bow before them all. He rushed with all the dignity he could muster to Linriel. "My lady, nay, my friend!" He exclaimed.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
The wine spilled from the dropped cup onto the floor. Linriel watched it make a pool at her feet. She felt like glass. If she moved, she would break.

As Thurinlass approached her, Galadriel called to him and he turned away. But not before she heard his words in her head telling her they soon would speak. Linriel still stood as Thurinlass spoke to Galadriel She knew all eyes were watching her. Harn kept looking back and forth from Linriel to Galadriel and the noble Elf. Eleniel wondered what this Elf had to do with Linriel. As for Maldor, he sat, drinking his wine. Not saying a word, just staring at Thruinlass. His look was not pleasant.

Galadriel and Thurinlass were talking in whispers. Linriel knew Thurinlass must have something very important to say to The Lady. Thurinlass gave Galadriel his message and just like the dignified Elf he was, he apologized for disturbing their meal.

Still standing like a statue, Linriel could barely speak as Thurinlass drew near. She turned to him. "Elen sila lumenn omentielvo," she whispered. *A star shines upon the hour of our meeting*

findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Eleniel smiled softly at the White Lady as she entered the dining hall. Much has happened since our last meeting. Perhaps I can speak to her of Tumion. Harn seemed ill at ease in Galadriel's presence, much like Eleniel herself was at their first introduction. Linriel and Maldor, at the least, seemed very comfortable with her, sipping wine and lightly dining. Eleniel herself reached for her cup.

When the doors burst open, Eleniel was the first to be upon her feet. The one entering was worn and seemingly travel weary. She was surprised when Galadriel moved towards him, and then, Linriel. In shock, the maiden dropped her cup to the floor; ruby liquid ran to the corners of then room. Though she seemed surprised, no shout fell from her lips. The stranger turned to Galadriel and said something, quietly. Not even her ears were able to hear it.

Finally, the stranger called Thurinlass came over to Linriel, still motionless, proclaiming, "I apologize to you, Lords and Ladies,some things cannot wait for the end of merrymaking. But now all is set in order, so return thee to thine plate and glass, and forget the trouble that I have caused you I pray of you."

When he was before them, he and Linriel exchanged greeting. As they spoke,Eleniel looked to the healer. Maldor looked disturbed, as if seeing Thurinlass caused him great pain.

Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Maldor drank all of his wine and put his cup down with a thud. Thurinlass! Back again! Yes, he is back, only to leave again. He comes and goes. He saw the look on Linriel's face when the Firstborn Elf burst into the dining hall.

The healer knew Linriel since she was a child, coming to Lorien with her mother to visit Galadriel. Linriel's mother was one of the fairest Elves in all of Middle-earth and Maldor watched as Linriel grew to rival her mother's beauty. He remembered how Linriel ran amongst the trees, chasing deer and butterflies. He remembered how she cried when her family sailed to the West without her. He remembered the solace she found as he talked to her with kind words and a smile and dried her tears.

Maldor raised his cup and beckoned a serving Elf to bring him more wine.

findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
A server came and quickly filled Maldor's cup. The expression on the face of her new friend worried her, and Eleniel said, "Do you feel ill, Maldor? Perhaps you will find fresh air out of doors."
Mr.Panda39
Council Member
Send Message
Thurinlass smiled with great joy, "Indeed all stars shine on this happy hour as they brightly as they shined on Cuiviennen!" He exclaimed with overwhelming happiness. The room finally returned to it former state, yet no server stopped to offer Thurinlass any food or drink, though it was obvious that he had come over long leagues with great speed.

"Come Linriel!" He said after a considerable pause, "Sit with me I beg! Tell me of all the long days that lie between us, and I shall do likewise if you will endure my tales." Thurinlass pulled out a seat for her, and one for himself. He sat and awaited Linriel's response with a shining smile, and a bright eye.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Maldor answered Eleniel but never took his eyes from Thurinlass. "Thank you for your concern, Eleniel, but all is well. All is well." The healer, once again, called to a serving Elf. "Bring forth another pitcher of wine and a fresh cup for Linriel. Also, a hearty meal for our travel worn friend."

Linriel sat beside Thurinlass but no words came forth. All she could do is stare at him. She looked into his silvery grey eyes remembering how they fought side by side, how he saved her life. Remembering her manners, Linriel began introductions. Her voice was but a whisper. "Thurinlass, may, I present my companions. Of course, you remember Maldor. This boy is Harn who has been traveling with us." Linriel paused. "And this is Eleniel, daughter of Bildarion."

Food and wine were brought to the table and still Linriel found she could barely speak. All around were eating and talking but they seemed far away. She worried Thurinlass could hear the pounding of her heart. She looked again into his eyes and they sparkled silver with tiny glints of gold.

Her mind caused her to remember their first meeting, here in Lorien. He arrived suddenly, as he did today. Linriel and several others sat around a fire, singing. Thurinlass sat with them and his rich voice joined with theirs. This thought caused Linriel's poise to return.

She bowed her head to him. "Forgive me, my lor..." She stopped. He told her long ago that he was no lord. Now, at last, a radiant smile filled the maiden's face. "Thurinlass, Meldanya Thurinlass! The joy in my heart knows no bounds! How I have longed to see you again. Many things have passed since last we spoke. Those we traveled with have departed, save for dear Merilwen and Beriadanwen. They are here, somewhere, in Lorien. As for myself, I have fared well. Let me tell you..." She leaned close to him and continued talking.

After some time had passed, Maldor rose. "I can see you both still have much to discuss." The healer spoke to Eleniel and Harn. "Come, let us go." The three left the dining hall.

Soon, Linriel and Thurinlass were the only ones left in the shadowy hall. Galadriel herself had gone.

The pitcher of wine was empty and Linriel finally finished all she had to tell. The sky was beginning to darken and soft music could be heard mingled with the song of the nightbirds.

"Thurinlass, I have talked enough. Now, it is your turn. A nyare i nyarna." Tell the tale
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message

[Edited on 10/07/2014 by Lindarielwen]
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Harn wandered through the forest aimlessly. He knelt by a small white flower that seemed to spill beauty and light.
"This is a place where I would like to live forever," he said talking to no one.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Linriel waited for Thurinlass to begin the tale of his long absence. However, before the Firstborn Elf had a chance to speak, another Elf entered the room and went straight to Thurinlass. "Forgive the interruption but the Lady Galadriel wishes to have a word with you."

Thurinlass stood up at once. "Linriel, go to your friends, I will find you and we will talk." He quickly left the dining chamber.

Linriel sat for a moment, gathering her thoughts before she, too, left the room.

The night air was cool on her face. Maldor, Elenile and Harn were nowhere to be seen. She looked up at the sky as she always did. The maiden could not help but marvel at the beauty of the night. She tried to imagine how Thurinlass felt as he awoke at Cuivienen, one of the first to see the glowing lights in the heavens.

Linriel started to walk down the nearest path. She was going to look for her friends.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Although Harn seemed to speak to the empty air, Eleniel replied to them. "If only you could understand, Harn. Many times, forever becomes a slight burden ion the life of an Elf. I shall journey a thousand places and still be contented with what I see."
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"Aye," Harn replied, "but I am a Man and it is rare that our kind stumble upon such beauty."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Once again, Eleniel was baffled at the fragility of humans. "Then, it must be better for you, as you have such little time to see all of the things of the world."
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Linriel heard voices and she quickened her steps. Suddenly Maldor was before her. "Linriel, I am surprised to see you." Maldor looked past her. "Where is Thurinlass?" he wondered. The maiden noticed the tone of Maldor's voice. "He has been summoned to see Galadriel. I expect he will return when he hears what The Lady has to say." was the reply. Maldor answered, "I would think Thruinlass will be on his way soon. He comes. He goes. As a messenger, he does not stay in one place for any length of time." Linriel looked at Maldor with soft eyes. "Most I know come and go, Maldor. You know this." She smiled, then, at Maldor. "It seems you are the only one who does not leave my life. You have always been there for me, even in my darkest hours. Your friendship means a great deal to me." the maiden replied. "I will always be your friend, Linriel. Of that you can be certain." After pausing Maldor said. "Go follow the path. Eleniel and Harn are just beyond the bend." With that, Maldor left to go back to the healing flet.

Linriel contined on her way and soon came upon Eleniel and Harn.
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
The cousins had not dined with the others. Each had been invited separately, and each had declined separately, Merilwen because she felt no desire to partake of food, and Beriadanwen because she wished to see the young mice she had entrusted to the Lothlorien elves on their last visit. Beri wandered through the trees and wove between the flets, searching for some sign of them. She could easily have asked where they where residing, but she had little love for things that came 'easily'. She preferred that which requires hard work. If one can pick up an instrument for the first time and play it perfectly with no instruction needed, the music is worth so much less than if one had to strive to reach that perfection.

She had brought her two constant companions, Midnight and Sunlight, to help the search for their kind if not their kin. Her long brown hair was tied back loosely, and the mice perched on her shoulder, not because she wished to be dramatic or to give the impression of someone who is in tune with nature, but because they needed to be in the open air and she wanted to have her hands free; free that they might caress the soft leaves of young saplings and trace the grooves in the bark of the older Mallorn trees.

Meri alternated between practicing with her bow and reading some Elvish scrolls from Lothlorien's collection. At the time the others were departing from their meal, she was half sitting, half lying on a thick tree branch, trying to remember her teachings. Not every elf maid was taught to read, especially not those as young as her, but her mother had thought it an essential skill, and had given her rudimentary lessons. However, her mother had passed away before Meri was fluent, and this combined with lack of practice meant that she not had only a very poor grip of the written language.
The tree she rested in was an oak, not old when compared to the ancient mallorns, but old for its kind. Since the mallorn trees in Lorien are so old, so enormous, and specific to that one place, it is easy to presume that they are all that grows there, but there are also flowers, small bushes, and many younger trees of various kinds. And while the elves preferred to build their flets in the mallorns, some did settle for other, less mighty trees.

Such was the building where Beri found the young mice she searched for. It was not elegant enough to be called a flet, but none of the work of the elves is ever ungraceful, so although 'hut' basically describes its purpose and design, it is far too crude a word for the structure that supported itself with a rough circle of birch trees. The building itself was made from a light wood that a carpenter might have said to also be birch, but Beri, never having been tutored in types of wood, could only have said to provide a sense of honeyed light inside.

She stepped through the doorway, which had no door but instead was covered with a screen of vines that draped from the two trees that acted as sentries. She could see a complex set of wooden planks set, not parallel like shelves, but at angles that turned them instead into, not exactly ramps, but different, linked, platforms, some with food, one with a bowl that could fill up with rainwater, some with bedding, and some with tasks to keep small creatures amused, such as a small maze made of wooden slates.

When she had come to Lorien last, she had left three baby mice in the Lady Galadriel's care. It seemed that the elves had found some more orphans to join them, for now there were five mice that she could see, and possibly more buried into the straw. She knew that her mice would be coming to the end of their lives soon. If she was still in Lorien for a long time, she would have them spend their days here, rather than getting tired out running around with her. If not, she would ask the Lady is she might take two of these mice with her, that she would have something to stem her tears and that if one was to go before the other, the other should not be entirely lonely. Of the five mice she could see, two were girls, two were boys, and one she could not tell the gender of, for it was shy and incredibly skilled in evading her. If allowed, and she was sure that the Lady would grant her request, she would take two girls. If the quick, shy mouse was a girl, she would take her and one other, for she admired the mouse's spirit and determination.
If anyone had happened to look out of a window on the east side of the palace, they might have noticed two figures in the darkness, dancing in a square bordered by living plants, out of time with the dancers inside but perfectly in time with each other.
<< First3839404142Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email