Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First678910Last >>
Author Topic:
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Welcome back and yes, it seems odd not to look forward to a new offering of Middle-Earth in the future. I need to re-read as well, but don't seem to be doing much of that right now either. Glad to have you back.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
Well, I hope everybody has recovered from the holidays, and welcome back, callë!.

I am totally in sync with awelyn having decided my jeans are a tad too tight. I can't say I use a specific diet but I've been highly successful by just cutting out sugars (which come in many forms). I was shocked to read recently that of the some 600,000 products being sold in US supermarkets, 80% of them contain sugar! I guess it really does pay to read the labels.

I must say I've been sitting here feeling a tad smug as I've been reading the posts about the cold weather. We're having a fairly mild, but wet, winter here. My neighbour was commenting yesterday that her snowdrops are already showing. Mind you, it's still early yet and we often don't get hit with bad weather until February.

My kittens are thriving. As of today they have access to the great outdoors as I awoke to a disaster zone this morning. They had been busy amusing themselves during the night leaving a trail of wreckage in their wake. They're very pleased about their changed circumstances and have been having a blast going in and out the cat door all day. Now it's started to rain so they've decided to come in for a nap. LOL

Have an awesome weekend, everybody!
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
Calle! How nice to see you here. So, you think you might visit this old place a bit? That would be great.
On the Hobbit movies and the probable end of the PJ/Tolkien ventures--I guess it was inevitable. To be honest, I think PJ overdid the Hobbit movies with too much wild, unbelievable action and invented characters/situations that weren't in the book. He did much the same with LOTR, and I would've preferred he stayed closer to the book. I mean, Tolkien's version was pretty darned good, wasn't it?
Take care, everyone.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
CALLE!!!How nice to see youHope you'll stay for a long time.A good and Happy New year to you

It's been artic country here.It was so cold we couldn't walk the dog,he doesn't have that much fur on him and his little paws were freezing,poor thing.It's not only the cold but the snow! Since after the New Year every 2days it's snowing and a fair amount too.So I shovel
and I freeze,what a life!!!IS IT SPRING YET?!!!!!

Swabby I agree with you concerning the Hobbit movies and it's too bad,I saw only the first one and I read the critics for the other two,like you said I would have prefer if he had stick to the story,Tolkien version.When it is good why add or invent something that doesn't
make sense!

Have a good week and stay warm.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Hi callë, I'm new here (2009) so you won't know me. Welcome back though.
E~S, you seem to get the same weather as us in the UK. Warm ocean I guess. It's getting a bit colder now but no snow yet. I know what you mean about sugar being in everything, it's cheap and disguises poor ingredients. Good ol' free market.
I used to do a lot of stir fry but I haven't got a wok any more. Stupid electric stove.

Dimple, it's a shame you didn't go see DOS, it was worth it for Beorn and Smaug of course. I haven't bothered with BOFA.
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
Calle welcome back so good to see you. Swabby I really liked the movies. I know when something is based on the book it is not going to be like the book. So I went into the theater with no expectations that it would. I know some of my other friends were upset by the movies but I just enjoyed seeing ME even if it was PJ's version.
Hello tarcolan and ES and it has really been cold here. I have not had snow like my friends in Ohio or Nebraska and even Kentucky. ES glad the kittens are thriving.
I am getting so tired and sleepy so goodnight and have a great week.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
TARCOLAN:Maybe I'll buy the movies when It will come in a package,probably this summer.Somebody told me that just for the scenery it was worth seeing it.

Still cold today and our snowblower went dead on us yesterday.My husband spent a lot of time yesterday and today trying to figure it out the problem but it would'nt start.I phone the local repairmen and he said it could cost quite a few pesos.The snowblower is 16years old,it could be a lot of things wrong with it.So tomorrow we'll go shopping for a new one to see if we can have a good deal somewhere but I doubt it being at the beginning of winter.

Hi Awelyn,hope you had a goodnight sleep
callë
Council Member
Send Message
Hi friends! Thanks for the welcomes back. its been so cold here today in Cheshire UK but at least we have avoided the snow so far. Only a sprinkling a few days ago. The films...I have been to see BOFA twice now and even though I know it isn't by the book...I could easily see it again and again and again...I truly cant get enough of middle earth and visit every chance I get. With the books and films. where the films lack the complete genuine story of the books they make up for it (to me at least)in being able to see it all visualised. absolutely brilliant. And yes I cry every time. Swabby, matey, it is especially good to see you still here. not that I am not happy to see all the others...but I was extremely concerned about your health a while back. Hoping all is well now? ah so nice to be back )))
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
Hello, everyone. Let me be clear--I like the Hobbit movies, but think they could've been better. In years past, we've essentially said the same things about the LOTR movies. An example of my gripe would be when Thorin comes to from his gold-induced stupor, the wind blows through his hair, which I thought was just silly and uncalled for. Like you, Dimple, I shall buy the box set when it's available in extended edition blue ray.
Calle, it's so nice of you to think about my health. I began walking and doing light exercises about a year ago, and its done me a world of good. My energy and stamina are up, the doctor cut my bp meds in half, and the lowest incision on my leg (where they stripped out the blood vessel to use for the bypass) has finally healed. Yes, for a good five years, it was crusty and red, but now it's nice and smooth. All from better blood flow in my leg, I guess. The holidays were terrible on my weight-loss plan, but now I'm free to get serious about it again. If I could just carve forty years off my age, I'd go kick some orc butt.

[Edited on 01/15/2015 by swabbythewhite]

[Edited on 01/15/2015 by swabbythewhite]
awelyn418
Send Message
Swabby how wonderful about your walking. I have knee problems but have started walking just a little and I am on a diet too. But you should be proud of yourself. good for you. Yes it would be nice if we could peel back the years.
Calle we have had frigid temperatures but are having a warming period. Temperatures are still cold at night. My group of 54 people (that I went to ALEP with) when we went to see the last Hobbit movie At least half of us were crying.
Dimple I hope you got a great deal on a new snow blower. How is your new dog fitting in his new home?
Have a great night.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Well it's brand new week and I'm as busy as usual it seems. I don't know how I managed to get things done when I was working. It's all too easy to fall behind (hanging around this site when I should be doing hated housework).

I'm glad to see everybody has survived the holidays in good order, albeit with a wee bit more padding around the middle, or in my case my hips. I am slowly cutting back on sugars and carbs in preparation to dropping a few pounds. I find sticking to a set diet pretty much self-defeating. I have a wee creature who lives in the bad of my head and keeps saying: "No, I don't!" whenever it's told it has to eat specific foods. My plan is the 50% one where I essentially eat the usual (sans bad stuff) but only half the amount I would like to eat. And, to fake said creature into thinking it's a normal sized portion, I place it on a smaller plate. I know it works because I have lost 25 pounds doing this and have managed to keep it off.

It would seem we've pretty much missed the recent cold snaps and have enjoyed typical winter weather on the Island: rain and wind mixed with sunshine. Today is sunny but a bit cooler than it has been.

Have an awesome week, everybody!

Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
SWABBY:I knew you had health problems but I didn't know it was so serious.I'm glad you're feeling much better now and you are going to come here more often so I can check you out!!

AWELYN:How are you doing on your diet and your walking? Yes we had a good deal on the snow blower and it's a good thing we brought it home in the jeep because the following day we had a snowstorm.Felix is doing just fine and know his routine pretty good and he is always excited to take his morning walk when it's not artic cold.His favourite room is still the kitchen lol,love to eat.Right now he is sleeping and snoring like thunder!!

ES: It's good to be busy,my mother used to say''when you're busy you don't have bad thoughts''.It's not always true, I guess you can be busy and have bad thoughts at the same time...it depends on what kind of bad thoughts you have....hi!hi!hi!

Have a goodnight all...no bad thoughts now
awelyn418
Send Message
Good luck on your weight loss ES. I have one of those little creatures myself.
Dimple so glad Felix is doing so well. Oh my goodness thank goodness you got that snow blower in time.
My eldest daughter auditioned for a part in a musical. A college by her is doing Les Miserable. It has always been a dream of hers to do that play. She made it it and I will see her in the play in February. She does not have a main part but she will be on stage at least half of the time. She is so excited.
Have a great weekend
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Goood for your daughter AWELYN,and the best of luck to her.I love that play

Extremely cold here today,artic cold as of matter of fact and really windy.It was sunny but could'nt be out a long period of time.

Have a good night and keep warm
awelyn418
Send Message
Dimple my diet is going very well. I have lost 6 pounds and I am exercising at home.
I have friends that had snow this week but I just had rain. It is starting to get colder here but not as cold as your area. You have a good night and keep warm to my friend.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
I made myself a nice birthday gift.I bought 4 books that I wanted to read.So here there are:

The giver by Lois Lowry
Guns,germs and steel by Jared Diamond
The God delusion by Richard Dawkins
Blood:the stuff of life by Lauwrence Hill

I'm reading right now War and Peace by Leo Tolstoi and as soon as I'm finished I'm going to attack those books

Goodnight all
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Hi Dimple,

I have and have read (more that once) the books by Jared Diamond and Richard Dawkins that you mention. I found both of them to be awesome.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Hi Gandolorin,

I have seen the documentory on guns,germs and steel.Jared Diamond appeared on this doc.and he seems to be so pessimestic about the future.I wanted to know more so I bought the book.I don't know if you have seen it but at one time he is with small African children if I remember correctly and he cried,it is very touching and human.
Richard Dawkins I heard about him but never read him,it will be the first time.The book look VERY interesting.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Spent the day in the city yesterday. One of the ladies I worked with for so many years has been diagnosed with breast cancer. She is naturally feeling extremely stressed at the moment so I went shopping with her and treated her to lunch.

The cancer was diagnosed during a routine screening and it seems to have been caught very early, for which I am truly grateful. I'm very at impressed at the speed with which things have been handled. She was formally diagnosed on January 16th and her lumpectomy will be done this coming Friday, followed by some radiation therapy. She has an excellent Surgeon as well.

I read the reports and am extremely optimistic as the lump is millimetres in size as opposed to centimetres.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Dimple_Bumbleroot said:Hi Gandolorin,

I have seen the documentary on guns,germs and steel.Jared Diamond appeared on this doc.and he seems to be so pessimistic about the future.I wanted to know more so I bought the book.I don't know if you have seen it but at one time he is with small African children if I remember correctly and he cried,it is very touching and human.
Richard Dawkins I heard about him but never read him,it will be the first time.The book look VERY interesting.

'The God delusion' is also the first book of Richard Dawkins that I read. A Warning: here Dawkins is in his take-no-prisoners fire-breathing mode against creationists and other science obfuscators. He is an ethologist (animal behaviorist) by training, the evolutionist who brought the "selfish" gene evolutionary train of thought to wide public attention with his 1976 book of the same title (building on work of others more than ten years earlier), and an atheist. I have eight of his books that preceded 'The God delusion', including what he himself considers his best one to date, the second one, 'The Extended Phenotype' (1982 first edition). It is also the one I had to read with the most concentration, as it is the one book, as he himself says, written for a readership of biology professionals and not the general public. The others: 'The Blind Watchmaker', 'River Out Of Eden', 'Climbing Mount Improbable', 'Unweaving The Rainbow', 'A Devil's Chaplain', and 'The Ancestor's Tale'. One following: 'The Greatest Show On Earth'. Dawkins is one of the clearest thinkers I have ever come across, most likely the clearest of all. And when he encounters mushy thinking, he does not suffer fools at all.

[Edited on 02/01/2015 by Gandolorin]
awelyn418
Send Message
Dimple I have read The Giver and enjoyed it the other books in that series not so much.I love War and Peace. I have read that twice but have not thought of that book for a while. I must read it again. ES I am so glad that found and caught the cancer on your friend early. Last week I had two friends whose mothers died two days apart and they both had cancer. I am so glad for technology today.
Have a great week everyone.
awelyn418
Send Message
How is everyone this week. We have had a cold front move through tonight. It is spitting snow and wind is blowing so hard. I wish I had a fireplace with a roaring fire and comfy chair in front with a nice hot cup of tea. But I don't so I will just dream. Keep safe and warm all of you.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
GANDOLORIN:I will look into the books you mentioned and like you when it comes to serious subject like religion or not,biology,anthropology ect,I like an author who doesn't turn around the pot and has a clear mind and goes straight to the point with good analysis and doesn't care about being polically or socially correct.

ES:The best of luck to your friend and I'm glad they caught it in time.

AWELYN:It is also very cold in here too.This winter is cold and windy and we have another 2 months to endure.Spring! spring! where are you? Come early pleasssssssssse

Stay warm and goodnight all.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Best wishes to your friend E~S. A friend of ours has also been diagnosed with cancer and is in hospital for surgery at the moment. Here in the UK screening for all sorts of things is done as a matter of course, such a good idea.

I can thoroughly recommend 'The Ancestor's Tale', a pleasant stroll back in time to meet our long cousins. I would also urge everyone to read Jared Diamond's 'Guns, Germs and Steel'.

The snow has gone now but it's still a bit cold, not too bad though. So how is the going for walks thing coming along anyone? Anyone? I'm lucky here, there are lakes over the fields just five minutes walk away, really nice. Plenty of other wonderful places further afield too. I must get up to Gordale Scar again, say hello to the elves.

Keep warm and well all.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
TARCOLAN:There is still plenty of snow here in the mountains and it is very cold but sunny,today anyway.But even if it is cold I keep going for walks.I go in the woods if it is walkable and the snow is hard or I just go on the road with my little bulldog Felix who loves taking walks.I'm not as lucky as you I guess, there are no elves in my wood,too cold maybe

Keep warm and have a nice evening
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
tarcolan said:... I can thoroughly recommend 'The Ancestor's Tale', a pleasant stroll back in time to meet our long cousins. I would also urge everyone to read Jared Diamond's 'Guns, Germs and Steel'.

Jared Diamond's next two books, "Collapse. How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed" (first edition 2005), and "The World Until Yesterday. What can we learn from traditional societies?" (first edition 2013, German translation 2012!!!) are also eminently readable, in my opinion.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Greetings all and Happy Valentines Day, to those who celebrate.<3

I can't believe it's already mid-February. Where has the time gone? My days seem to be full of things to do, though I am really enjoying the slower pace of (semi-)retired life. I started working one day a week at a private counselling agency and still have my own small practice. So far, so good. I still think I am getting away with something by not going to work every day.

Swabby and Calle - so good to see you both back ! Swabby - I am especially happy that your rehab program has yielded good results. Keep at it ! We want you to be well !

Life is good here. The winter is not too bad, compared to the constant Siberian temperatures we endured last year. Could use more snow, however, as the well has had a slower than usual recovery rate for the past year now.

Your comments on the films areinteresting. I agree that there was a bit too much of the spectacular, but I don't for a moment regret going to see them. I agree with Calle and Awelyn that every moment spent in Middle Earth is worth it !

BTW, for those of you with cell phones, there is a app of the Encyclopedia of Arda ! Very handy for resolving questions when out with Tolkien fans. Also good for killing time while waiting for a doctor's appointment. It cost about $4 (Canadian) for the iPhone version. I think the Android version is a bit more expensive.

Dawkins discussion also caught my eye. I've skimmed through the The God Delusion and found it interesting. Though I think he sets up a straw man by taking on the most literalist and fundamentalist versions of Christianity, ignoring the fact that many (perhaps even most) people have beliefs that are not at odds with scientific facts.

In any case, it's fascinating to watch the dance between the need to be rational and the inherent yearning for something larger than the concrete, everyday life we observe. Humans have an innate capacity for both.

Wishing all of you the best and looking forward to visiting again.

“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Well, things have been hopping around here!

My other neighbour, who has been on the transplant list for eons due to deteriorating lungs, had a double lung transplant yesterday morning and is doing well. Her hubby said she was conscious and squeezed his hand when he spoke to her. Amazingly, she may be able to come home in as little as three weeks, although she will be closely followed for much longer.

She's been so stoic about everything over these many years, but had been deteriorating rapidly over the past couple of months (two oxygen tanks being used simultaneously to give her enough oxygen) and the call came in the nick of time. Shes such a wonderful person the entire street is ecstatic.

My friend with the breast lump came through her surgery just fine also and is now awaiting her results, and an appointment with the BC Cancer Agency. Her doctor was very pleased anyway so she's much encouraged. Unfortunately, when she was asking people if they had had any experience with breast cancer patients, all she heard was horror stories, until one of the ladies in the park where she lives sat her down and had a much more optimistic talk with her. She even provided her with pamphlet and a book produced by the BC Cancer Agency (no longer available due to "government cutbacks" which have been an excellent source of information. I do wish people would be more positive when they're talking to somebody who is in a distressing situation. Telling them all the "bad stuff" isn't really helpful.

My garden is growing great guns due to the unseasonably warm winter we're having. All my bulbs are pushing through so it looks like we may get an early spring. I bought a bunch of primroses yesterday which will add a lovely splash of colour to the gardens. My apologies to those of you who are still experiencing less than enthralling weather.

Anyway, I have to run as I have a dinner engagement. I hope everybody has an awesome week.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
HELLO NEENIME,always nice to read you.I'm glad you can enjoy life and work at a slower paste,at a certain time we need to slow down to look back at what we've done to be able to look forward and decide what we can do in the future.The weatherman said the other day that we have 50cm less of snow than last year at the same period of year as far as I'm concern he can keep that snow whereever he wants and for the cold it is VERY VERY cold and with the wind factor it doesn't help at all.March is coming soon so hopefully it will be warmer.

ES:I'm glad some of us can speak of an EARLY SPRING!!You lucky devil,did you made a pact with something or somebody that I'm not aware of lolEnjoy your dinner.

Nice evening all
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Mae govannen .4 century fans!
I've been around, but been using my spare moments on her to try and keep up with the writers in an RP. Thought it time for me to make my once per thread version appearance.

Hoping all is well as can be with everyone.

Whats going on with me? Been full on since the day after Christmas since my wife had an accident with a stick blender and damaged her finger. A few other medical issues came up in its aftermath, and now she has to go in for a major operation. I'll be caretaker for a few weeks.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
callë
Council Member
Send Message
hiya! just popping back in as promised I really can't wait for spring. Been pretty lucky this year again as not much snow at all here in Cheshire. I really don't like the cold and long for the long, light and warm days of summer. I have booked off most of my holiday time for June again as always. My favourite month It can be light here in June at four in the morning and stay light right through ten at night. I hope to get back to Edinburgh, my absolutely favourite place and also down to the south coast for some time spent by the sea. I'm afraid my exercise suffers some in the winter. I still manage some but I just can't make myself get out much for a run or cycling...which I love. never mind...spring is around the corner. cancer? a heart breaking word. I lost my cousin last year to cancer. It's still hard to accept. I do say friends, always get tested if you have any symptoms. Always better the earlier you catch it. so in saying that, take care all. time to take my doggy for a walk <3
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Hello again.

Arveleg - Oh dear, I hope your wife's surgery will repair the damage. Nerves and tendons and whatnot make our fingers truly wonderful but vulnerable features of the anatomy.

ES - we are worlds apart in the same country! You have bulbs coming up and we just had -39* with the wind chill on Saturday, following close on the heels of a 10 cm snow dump a week ago. Ah well. Enjoy !

Good advice about your friend with cancer. It's strange that people need to say such terrible things. Perhaps it's a contest to outdo each other? Not much consideration for the person trying to find strength and hope. My sister-in-law is almost 10 years post-cancer and doing very well.

Calle - your post reminds me of the brief visit my husband and I had to Edinburgh in 2011. It's on our wish list for a return visit. We plan to go to Norway and Sweden this year in celebration of my semi-retirement and our 35th wedding anniversary. It would be great if we could squeeze Edinburgh in there, but we haven't started planning yet.

I am excited ! Our Tolkien group just booked the hall for our annual Reading Day fair. This will be the 8th year we have held an event. Will miss our friend Jess, but she'll be with us in spirit.

Off to dance class now. Take care all until next time.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
awelyn418
Send Message
Hello and my goodness it is cold here. We have had a polar front move through and the frigid temperatures are crazy. I have been a stay at home body for 5 days. I love the snow which we have had 10inches . We are suppose to have two more tonight and snow and ice Friday night. Saturday is a warming trend and I am glad I am going to see my daughter in the musical Les Miserable Saturday and fingers are crossed for good enough weather to drive through to see it.
Neenime have a great time and I think of Jess and miss her.
ES why people do that and they do the same when they see a pregnant woman. I remember being scared to death by those horror stories. I to have a friend that had breast cancer and it has been 10 years since her surgery and she is doing fine. Good for your neighbor.
Arveleg hello and I hope your wife's surgery goes well.
Dimple I am so glad you have such a great attitude about the weather. It was sunny here today but very very cold.
Calle so good to see you again. I have trouble exercising in the winter too. I am going to have to push myself to get going with the exercising. I have had loved ones die of cancer. I hate that disease. Have a great weekend.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Wow! I've been watching the weather in the mid-West and on the East Coast and you have my sympathy. I can't believe the snowfall! I watched one man carrying his shovels full of snow half way down the street to find a place to deposit them. I won't mention the weather we're having here .... don't want to depress anybody.

I've been busy reading the gardens for (oops, can't mention it) .... the primulas I planted earlier are doing well, although a light frost took a nip out of them for a couple of nights. I've added some pansies and am looking around for a new mower as the lawn could use a trim. The neighbour who usually does my lawns is over in Vancouver for a few months with his partner (the lung transplant recipient) so I'll have to knuckle under and do my own stuff.

Anyway, I hope everybody has a wonderful (warmer) weekend.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
AWELYN:Maybe you're at the musical right now seeing your daughter performs and I hope ,no I'm sure everything will go smoothly.Hope the weather is in a good mood so the streets will be fine to drive.Have an excellent evening
<< First678910Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email