Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First2627282930
Author Topic:
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
I was a 'Fan Over Forty' when the original thread was posted. Now... as a 'Fan Over Sixty', I can hardly remember forty.

How is everyone doing? I've bene enjoying the Rings of Power for what it is... an elaborate fanfickish telling of the Second Age. Nothing wrong with that as it was what I expected being what they had to use. It did get me reading the Silmarillion again, and I look forward to the new book of Numenor and the 2nd Age coming out.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
My goodness, it's been a long time since I posted in this thread. I hope everyone "over 40" is happy and healthy.

I have been fighting new tablet and mobile phone woes, but have solved most of the problems. Part of the problem is the "instructions" that come with the devices. They tend to be rather simplistic: often omitting important parts of the setting up process. I suspect a kid could do it easily but, as a senior citizen, I have issues.

The weather here has been outstanding, but very, very dry: not to mention the lack of any meaningful spring. Summer followed swiftly on the heels of winter which left a short period in which to start planting. I haven't bothered to put in much myself this year, other than some salad-type veggies.

Health-wise my kidney function continues to improve, but my fibromyalgia has flared up which is most annoying. It's beginning to settle with the warm weather, but winter was long and difficult.

Anyway, happy 4th of July to all of our American members. Enjoy your holiday.

Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
I was looking for the fans over sixty thread....
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Hanasian said:I was looking for the fans over sixty thread....
I could start one if you're really interested.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Nah... this will do. It's just us here anyway. Buy ya a beer?
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Sure. Let's head over to the Green Dragon.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Mae govannen. Oh my stars! I haven’t been here for at least 3 or 4 years. Where has the time flown? Yes, indeed it might well be called the Fans Over Sixty thread (with some exceptions). Nice to see that some of the old gang is still around, plus a new one or two.

I'm excited for the Oxonmoot that I wil be attending virtually in a few weeks. The first one was during COVID and it was a joy to meet fans from all around the world. And the presentation! Fascinating explorations of so many aspects of Tolkien’s work. It makes my heart sing to see how much creativity and though Tolkien’s work has initiated.

As for me….. still semi-retired. Working a little less. Puttering happily in our yard. The new project is helping to found a folk group of age-mates that sing and play Ukrainian folk music. Ikve learned to play the bandura (a 55 string instrument like a cross between a harp and a guitar). We ‘ve performed at some seniors’ facilities, a couple of concerts, fundraisers for humanitarian relief in Ukraine and now we are about to perform an hour set at a well-known local folk fest. Keeping busy, for sure.

Wishing you all well. I will try to pop in more often and will share some of the interesting ideas from the Tolkien conference. Blessings to all of you.

[Edited on 08/05/2023 by Neenime]
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Neenime said:Mae govannen. Oh my stars! I haven’t been here for at least 3 or 4 years. Where has the time flown? Yes, indeed it might well be called the Fans Over Sixty thread (with some exceptions). Nice to see that some of the old gang is still around, plus a new one or two.

I'm excited for the Oxonmoot that I wil be attending virtually in a few weeks. The first one was during COVID and it was a joy to meet fans from all around the world. And the presentation! Fascinating explorations of so many aspects of Tolkien’s work. It makes my heart sing to see how much creativity and though Tolkien’s work has initiated.

As for me….. still semi-retired. Working a little less. Puttering happily in our yard. The new project is helping to found a folk group of age-mates that sing and play Ukrainian folk music. Ikve learned to play the bandura (a 55 string instrument like a cross between a harp and a guitar). We ‘ve performed at some seniors’ facilities, a couple of concerts, fundraisers for humanitarian relief in Ukraine and now we are about to perform an hour set at a well-known local folk fest. Keeping busy, for sure.

Wishing you all well. I will try to pop in more often and will share some of the interesting ideas from the Tolkien conference. Blessings to all of you.

How was the Oxentmoot Neenime?

I love old instruments and Euro-Pagan folk music. Love it when it is blended into modern-day style as well. I think I need to list all the bands I've quite enjoyed. Also, Castlefest is on my bucket list.
<< First2627282930
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email