Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Post Thranduil fan!
on: October 24, 2014 07:58
I just wondered if anyone else has become a Thranduil fan. After watching The Desolation of Smaug, I confess he grew on me. Lee Pace does a wonderful job at making him real. In the books I really did not like him as well; I'm not sure why. I have even started writing about Thranduil more and more!
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I have loved him since I read the book! The movie only improved my thoughts.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Nice! I plan to re-read the Hobbit once it get closer to the premiere of BOTFA. Maybe I shall like him better in the book now! I'm so anxious to see what they do with him in this movie; I know he fights, since you can see a bit in trailers and movies. He's such a handsome elf and I think seeing him fight shall only enhance this!
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I agree! I am also anxious to see the meeting of Thorin, Bard, and Thranduil. I have seen pictures of it, and it looks very exciting!
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I really do not remember Thranduil very much at all from my reading. I thought in the movie that he was very cold towards his son and I also felt he looked down on Tauriel. Since he is an Elf, however, I do like him. Can anyone explain why his face changed and looked all scared and burnt? And does anyone know what happened to Legolas' mother?
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I didn't remember him much either! He does seem really cold towards Legolas & does seem to look down on Tauriel, but for whatever reason I still really like him!
I did some research about the scar but haven't gotten anything decisive as of yet. I can tell you nothing like that occurs in any of the books, so it's something Peter Jackson & his crew put in. Some people speculate that it's something to do with the stories of the Fisher King & something else (I can't remember, but I hadn't heard of it before). They think that his scar is from a dragon, perhaps Smaug perhaps some other dragon. There's some speculation about something having to happen for him to be healed. I think one site said elves are supposed to be able to heal themselves so it's weird that he has this & can seemingly make it appear and disappear at will. His scar could even be just he or Thorin imagining something.
No, I have no idea what happened to Legolas' mother! As far as I know Tolkien never mentions her. I speculate that something tragic happened to her, like maybe she was eaten by a dragon.
So we really do not know much about Tolkien's character! I wish I could give you some more definite answers, but I think some of them may lie within BotFA, at least as far as the movies are concerned. As for the books, I'm writing a lot about Thranduil lately & what I think happens with him! I do have one story about his wife dying, but it's related to the films & not the book, so I hope to eventually get a storyline that's more in line with the books.
Anyway, I just want to say Lee Pace as Thranduil is handsome! I'm so anxious to see what happens with him!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Thranduil fought dragons in the North, fire drakes like Smaug. That is why he doesn't want the dwarves to go to Smaug, because he fears that more of his people will die at the hands of a dragon.I believe it is mentioned in the Silmarillion, the fighting dragon's thing. But I saw nor read no mention of his scar. Freaked a ton of people out at the theatre.

Auto-correct disasters:

Thranduil=Thailand
Smaug=Smug
Silmarillion=Millionairess
Theatre= Heather

I would love to read your fan fiction, Blue.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Yeah Maxie, I read something about that but wasn't sure if he actually fought dragons or if it was just speculation. Thanks!
Wow, those would be disasters! I add things like that to the dictionary in Microsoft Word, which helps with my fanfics.
Ok, right now I'm working on getting The Handsome Sleeper on here; six chapters have been published so far out of eight. I may decide to add more at the end if I ever get an idea going, but so far I've only come up with something relating to the movie that's incompatible with the books. So you should be able to find this one under recent stories, & perhaps Tarantella too. That one's my favorite so far; it's about Thranduil's sister Tarantella & her struggle with finding true love. It's an AU & if you read both, I totally changed how Thranduil met his wife, & I like the way in The Handsome Sleeper a bit better. Anyway feel free to read them & if you do, please tell me what you think! I'm kind of nervous about my stories & am not sure if they are good.
& be prepared for random outbursts about how handsome the Elvenking is, like I did last time! I cannot stress how much I like him & how I'll always see Lee Pace when I read about Thranduil.
Oh, & eventually I may put up a story about how Thranduil got his scar, & also how his wife died. Its working title right now is Heartbroken.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
That would be a very good fanfic story, Blue. I await its publication.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I hope so! I do want to see BotFA first; I'm hoping they will tell us some more about Thranduil's scar, which will make or break this story.
So, what are your opinions of Legolas versus Thranduil? I personally do not care for Orlando Bloom as Legolas; even though he is a good actor and did a great job with his part, blonde is not really his color. I prefer him in Pirates of the Caribbean; the mustache is pretty cute! However, I'm the opposite with Lee Pace. The blonde hair he has for Thranduil looks so good! & he's a pretty amazing actor too (actually the Hobbit is the only thing I've seen, although I'd like to see Guardians of the Galaxy).
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
So, I found a picture of Thranduil on Pinterest from BotFA! Well, actually several, but one in particular struck me. He's definitely fighting and I can just make out the outline of his scar. I found it rather interesting since we've been talking about that. So hopefully we shall learn more in December!
And just so you know, The Handsome Sleeper is finished (for now, although as I commented I may add more later). You can find it in either The Silmarillion fanfic section or in the recently added.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I hope that we do! I will look for your fanfic.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I really need to gush about Thranduil again! Have you all seen the new clip from BotFA? I noticed he has either scratches on his face or perhaps it's the beginning of his dragon fire scars. Anyway, I was probably really funny watching it. I know I gasped & said something about "Oh my goodness! Your poor face!" What have they done to him? And I am so excited that he will be riding his deer (or is it a moose? I think it's a deer)!
Why does he have to be so handsome? I almost always go for the blondes. And just so you know I'm getting ready to reread the Hobbit next week in preparation for the premiere! So I'll be able to tell you more about what I think of his book self since I don't remember that much. I do know he certainly wasn't that attractive the first time I read the book (or the second or however many times I've read it, which is probably at least three), although now that I have a handsome face to picture...
Ok, the gushing is over for now!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Elk, I think.

I have not seen the clip yet, I plan to wait for the movie.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Ok! Elk it is! I only have deer where I live lol
I saw Thranduil & of course had to watch the clip! But I was a bit disappointed when it ended up being mostly Bilbo & Gandalf, even though it was sweet. But I guess I shouldn't spoil anything for you unless otherwise requested!
And I am so glad I don't have to worry about him dying! I really don't think I could take that!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Me neither. That was a great concern of mine, knowing all the liberties taken in the second film.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I know what you mean! If they killed him I'd be quite upset! But I don't really see how they could do that, even if he isn't technically that necessary.
Interestingly, someone today pointed out that his eyebrows are really dark & she thought they don't look right with his blonde hair. I actually hadn't noticed that! Someone needs to get the movies so she can watch them again lol
And I also want to say how thankful I am that I have a place to go nuts about the Elvenking!
HuldahMaria
Council Member
Send Message
I guess I would say I am a fan, though "like" is not quite the right word for how I feel about him. He is definitely not an easy person to like, but I feel so sorry for him. He seems to be one who has been severely traumatized and has never truly recovered from that, though he has nearly convinced himself that he is fine.

I guess we will all find out on Wednesday what happens to him. *squeals with excitement*
And I will live to carry Your compassion, to love a world that's broken, to be Your hands and feet, and I will give with the life that I've been given, and go beyond religion to see the world be changed by the power of Your name. ~Lincoln Brewster
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I know! He actually had to grow on me; someone watched DoS & was talking about how amazing he is, & at first I thought he was almost cruel. Then I grew to really like him; I definitely feel sorry for him. Like I've said, I'm trying to work out the story of how he got his scar & why he got the way he is in DoS, although I really hope PJ will tell us more.
I can hardly wait to see him next week! The fight scenes will be awesome; I am sure someone will have to hold me down or something. I've told my companions I will try to keep my reactions down but I have no guarantees! I do expect to cry at some parts as well...
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I expect to be unable to drive home. My Mom will be going with me, so she can drive. I eagerly await the opening.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I'm a designated driver so I'm really hoping I hold up! Hopefully scenes of Thranduil fighting & looking so hot will keep me in a decent enough mental state to get everyone home safely. Then I can collapse and cry if I need to! I don't usually get too emotional, but I keep on fearing this one will be different. So I think of the Elvenking & how everything will be worth it, just to see him.
Did I tell you all I'm going as the Elvenqueen? I'm so thrilled to be able to go out as an elf, & pretend I'm married to the best-looking elf ever! Ok, I am done for now!
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
Haha, Thranduil has clearly got his number 1 fans right here!
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, he does! He needs more fans lol
So I am currently dressed as the Elvenqueen & am ready to go to the premiere, which starts in mere hours. I am so excited! Thranduil will be amazing!
And I finally finished rereading the book, just in the nick of time. The Elvenking is so precious! I didn't realize that he helped the people of Lake-town rebuild Dale. And Bilbo adored him; he was so kind to the hobbit even after learning he had stolen food from him for weeks and helped the dwarves escape. I am certainly even more thoroughly impressed now that I have the face to go with his image. However, I am extremely glad the movies has given him more of the spotlight thus far; he definitely deserves it! I feel so bad that he has had so much tragedy in his life
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Just wanted to let you all know I actually didn't have to drive very far! Thankfully I got my emotions in check before I had to drive the like 2 miles home. The Thranduil fight scenes were totally worth it, although I am disappointed it did not show more of him! He's so hot, & I love his elk! That's just the utmost of cool! I'm done for now!
HuldahMaria
Council Member
Send Message
Thranduil's story is just heartbreaking to me. I really liked how he changes in the end. I think we should not say too much until after Christmas though, just to make sure we don't spoil it for anyone.
And I will live to carry Your compassion, to love a world that's broken, to be Your hands and feet, and I will give with the life that I've been given, and go beyond religion to see the world be changed by the power of Your name. ~Lincoln Brewster
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I know! His story breaks my heart so much; I've been writing a bit about it & almost cry every time! I can hardly wait until we can finally give spoilers! I guess we could talk about how he's so awesome riding his elk! I think that's totally the coolest thing! He's just precious!
Ok, I think I'm done for now. I try to write about him & keep everything to myself, but sometimes I just can't help but burst out with something.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
I wasn't much of a Thranduil fan until I saw the last movie. Yes, at some points he seems unreasonable. But when you know his history and see his love for his people it all makes sense. Plus he has awesome hair. And awesome fighting skills. That one shot where he rolled off his elk and his beautiful hair flew about him...amazing! And when he looks at his people lying dead in the streets (Haldir moment anyone?) and speaks with Tauriel at the end, we finally see his heart. I really wanted him to give Legolas a hug, but that is just one of those things. Thranduil is just so much better in this movie. Yes, I think I am now a fan.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Yay! Welcome, new fan! I love him for all those reasons! & yes, I was also extremely disappointed that he didn't hug his son. I am so jealous of his hair! Perfect even when fighting & being thrown off an elk! (I guess it's too late to be thinking about spoilers, so from here on it should be safe to talk about BotFA!) He was so precious at the end I totally freaked! I really want to know what happened to his wife; I think she had to have been brutally murdered in front of his eyes & he must have tried his best to stop it but couldn't. I really could do with a whole movie just about him! Hopefully EE of BotFA will tell us even more.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
If my hair was as tamed and as smooth as Thranduil's, I would be the happiest girl in the world.

I await seeing him in the final movie!
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Yes! Exactly how I feel! & what a gorgeous shade of blonde! But oh well.
Maxie, you will probably be total fangirl like I was! I grabbed my friend's arm in excitement every single time he came on screen; thankfully she agrees with me that "he is one good-looking man!" You'll have to come back & let us know what you think once you finally see the movie!
He's just so hot; I honestly think he's the handsomest man in all six Middle Earth movies. & I am done for now!
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Let us just take a moment to appreciate how wonderful Thranduil looks in his battle gear.http://fantaasiatoidab.deviantart.com/art/Elvenking-492889474

[Edited on 12/23/2014 by Eruwestiel_Evensong]
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Fabulous! Thank you so much for sharing! I found a picture of him on pinterest; it's snowing & he looks so serious & handsome I totally fangirl every single time I see it. I need to quit looking at him so much, but I can't seem to help it! (I'm not good with links on here or else I'd share his royal handsomeness!)
Also, diviantart has some really good drawing of him with young Legolas; they are totally precious. I found them through pinterest as well. (And no, I do not have a whole board about him, it's just Middle Earth in general, but he's in probably about 20 of my 110 or so pins!)
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
That sounds so nice! For links, all you have to do is click the globe symbol thing. It will come up with this [ url ] [ /url ] just without spaces. Then you copy the link from the web page you want to share and put it in between those brackets like this: [ url ] http://fantaasiatoidab.deviantart.com/art/Elvenking-492889474 [ /url ]
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I'll try that but most of the time they don't work. So if it looks funny & doens't show up, I apologize!
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/398076054537717483/
I sure hope you can see him! I love this pic so much; I would probably have it on my wall.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
It worked! That is a good picture! He looks very dangerous.

Oh, and the random person that just started following you on Pinterest is me.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email