Register

<< First2728293031Last >>
Author Topic:
MallornHugger
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Hobbit film
on: January 25, 2012 02:12
I'm fairly sure Tolkien states, in Morgoth's Ring, that female Elves can, and will fight, but they give up the power to heal in this act. I think this is what it says within Laws and Customs of the Eldar. It's not the fact that she's in the Mirkwood guard, it's the statement that she's the "head of the elven guard." As a writer and fanfiction reader, my Mary-Sue alarm is beeping at an insanely loud and fast rate.

And I agree with Erucenindë, she sounds a bit too perfect...well, perhaps, more than a bit too perfect.

Most of my hope that I regained with the trailer is quickly fading. Not to sound like a "hater" or anything, but this new addition to PJ's Hobbit is a bit too much for me, especially since I read the Hobbit before a movie adaption, unlike LOTR.
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2012 06:40
Agree with everyone else.

Tauriel is basically a female version of Legolas ...
MallornHugger
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2012 11:13
Tauriel is basically a female version of Legolas ...

I can't help but say that made me giggle a little, even though it's a serious subject.

Also, when PJ & crew first decided to introduce Tauriel, they said she was the first "woodland elf" they were making (then what in the world is Legolas, Peter? Noldor?). When I think of a Silvan/woodland Elf, I think of singing in forest glades, running alongside rivers, and dancing through the trees, not "big shot in the army," "lethal and deadly," or "warrior elf." Aren't the Silvan supposed to be a more timid race of Elves?

The thing getting me so discouraged about the Hobbit is, Peter and his writers feel like they have to add things in. That was okay for the Lord of the Rings, it's a thousand page plus book (if you count the appendix), and you get a little lee-way in there. But compare that to the Hobbit, and much slender volume, which has a singular plot: Bilbo and Dwarves go to Erebor, get mountain back, kill Smaug, in simple terms. Peter isn't doing that. I find that books translated into movies are always a bit "dumbed down" to make it simpler for the average movie goer. But now Peter's created two different plot lines, and new characters. I think it's getting a little complicated...

I agree with you nólemë, if Tauriel has as big a role as these interviews seem to indicate I won't bother to see the second film.

I've always wondered what's it's like to be one of those fans who has never seen the movies, out of respect for Tolkien's work.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: January 26, 2012 12:28
I don't think I could *not* see the films. I would die of curiosity. At least to give PJ a chance. But, if I really did not like it, I would not buy them on dvd, and instead just leave it to that one viewing in the theater.

[Edited on 1/26/2012 by Erucenindë]
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: January 26, 2012 12:42
Also, when PJ & crew first decided to introduce Tauriel, they said she was the first "woodland elf" they were making (then what in the world is Legolas, Peter? Noldor?).

Perhaps they were hinting at Legolas's Sindarin descent...? Well, if PJ's team is all that versed in The Silmarillion and the divisions of Elves, I think I could live with Tauriel being a hostile Avar... something like Eol was in The Silm. But then, I doubt she'd happily embrace a Sindarin name and serve a Sindarin king.

But, if I really did not like it, I would not buy them on dvd, and instead just leave it to that one viewing in the theater.

I'm planning to do just that if the first viewing disappoints me. I wonder if the team realize that if they take too many liberties with Middle-earth, they may get many people to buy the 3D tickets, but fewer Tolkienites who buy the DVDs and extended / collector editions.
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Huin
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2012 12:47
I'm still reserving judgment on Tauriel. One thing is that Evangeline does not strike me as...well...very articulate, so IMO her words might be best digested with a grain of salt.
Image ImageRealm of Vairë, Corrupted faction
MallornHugger
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2012 12:54
I'm still reserving judgment on Tauriel. One thing is that Evangeline does not strike me as...well...very articulate, so IMO her words might be best digested with a grain of salt.

True, very true. This may be the whole thing with Benedict and the Necromancer at the Battle of the Five Armies all over again. Hopefully,this is all just a mistake of speech. But I'm still keeping my ears open.
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2012 01:20
True, very true. This may be the whole thing with Benedict and the Necromancer at the Battle of the Five Armies all over again. Hopefully,this is all just a mistake of speech. But I'm still keeping my ears open.

I'd like to think so but I'm not sure.

I've always wondered what's it's like to be one of those fans who has never seen the movies, out of respect for Tolkien's work.

I didn't really mean never ever, I was thinking about not going to the theater to see it and maybe rent the dvd out of curiosity. Movie tickets are expensive.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: January 26, 2012 01:36

You could be right. What an actor/actress says may not necessarily be (completely) true. She could make her character to be more than she is. Or the scenes they shoot could always be cut out in the end. Just like with Arwen fighting at Helm's Deep.
MallornHugger
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2012 03:02

I didn't really mean never ever, I was thinking about not going to the theater to see it and maybe rent the dvd out of curiosity. Movie tickets are expensive.

That's what I meant, but it depends on how the future trailers and reviews are, as well as how much information leaks out of the set and with PJ's changes to the film.
Grifo
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2012 05:49
Wow, I've just seen the trailer of the most anticipated movie ever (in my life that is) and I have to say I'm impressed. The story is far less spectacular and deep than LOTR or the Silmarilion (and Children of Hurin), but I do believe they captured the same feel of LOTR by the first view of the Hobbit trailer. Jackson and co are seemingly doing a good job!

When the first rumours about the book being filmed started to become serious, I promised a friend to go to the premiere here in Holland for her birthday. That's now more than 5 years ago. After several delays, it's finally going to happen coming december!!!!!

I must say, after reading the Unfinished Tales and Children of Hurin quite some time ago, my Tolkien/Middle Earth addiction became less and less. I even stopped coming to this site. But it's fully in bloom again now .
Greenwood_Gal
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2012 09:56
I find it perplexing to read about fans who will not go and see the Hobbit if x,y,or z isn't or is in it.

Why would anyone want to deny themselves seeing the whole movie because they have objections to a part of it?

I really don't understand this way of thinking.
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2012 11:29
I find it perplexing to read about fans who will not go and see the Hobbit if x,y,or z isn't or is in it.

Why would anyone want to deny themselves seeing the whole movie because they have objections to a part of it?

I completely agree with you. Besides, I'm certain that come December 2012 (and 2013) these same people would be on the front line waiting for the release!
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2012 02:01
At the request of a very long-time Auntie at Narniaweb, I have been requested to share this link. It has been a hobby or some years tracking locations of filming and production of some movies. Since I live in the US, obviously I have limited knowledge vs someone being a resident of the actual area. Comments and corrections are always welcome.

The Hobbit Production Locations:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=200933695282958345367.000496726c51c4034e7c1&msa=0&ll=-37.856592,175.679433&spn=0.005066,0.009645&iwloc=0004967277f7b5bc3a7c9
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: February 14, 2012 03:24
I completely agree with you. Besides, I'm certain that come December 2012 (and 2013) these same people would be on the front line waiting for the release!

No doubt!
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2012 08:21

I guess the reason I'm apprehensive and say I won't see them is because I'm hearing about things that are obviously not in the books. I really don't want to see a female warrior elf swinging around a sword, I want to see the story of the Hobbit written by J.R.R. Tolkien. I'm not picky about every little thing but major stuff like this, new characters just for the sake of the audience, bugs me.
Even though I said what I said, I'll probably go see them in the theaters and buy the action figures, collect the magazine and the McDonalds toys and the drinking cups, and little 1/20 scale models of the Lonely Mountain and Smaug which will sit on my bookshelf.
Aegor
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 15, 2012 09:07
With the Hobbit I'm actually more worried that I'll see some things from the book in the movie.

Don't see what could be wrong with some sword swinging elven eye candy. Singing spiders, tipsy elves and troll wallets with an anti-pickpocket app (hmm, iWallet...), now that's something that concerns me.
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2012 09:11

Don't see what could be wrong with some sword swinging elven eye candy. Singing spiders, tipsy elves and troll wallets with an anti-pickpocket app (hmm, iWallet...), now that's something that concerns me.

Couldn't agree more!
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
on: February 15, 2012 10:03
There's nothing wrong with tipsy Elves. They imported fine wine from Dorwinion and other places. Singing spiders I can live with. I think we should remember that it is a story for young children, so I don't worry about such things. A magic purse? Not Tolkien maybe but it sounds like a bit of fun. I can't really see the book as source text for Middle Earth anyway as there are too many real world references in it (clocks, golf, matches, clarinets) so I don't expect the film to be 'accurate'.
It looks like there's going to be a lot of things that aren't in any book but which tell the wider story of events leading up to LOTR, which will be great. Better than the book in a way.
MallornHugger
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: The Hobbit film
on: March 31, 2012 07:53
So, everyone remembers the scene in the trailer where we see some Elves circling the Dwarves in Rivendell? Several people thought that two of these Elves looked very similar to how Elladan and Elrohir were described in the books. Well, there's a rumor going around that they will be in the film; here's the TOR.N article about it:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/04/01/54507-elladan-and-elrohir-are-in/

Opinions?
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: April 01, 2012 08:34
I liked James and Oliver Phelps as the Weasley twins, but as Elladan and Elrohir? Hm....Not so sure. I'll reserve judgement until we get firmer word on the matter.
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
MallornHugger
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2012 08:37
I agree about that matter as, Linwe. However, the article, along with a section about the Hobbit Pub, has been revealed as an April Fools Day joke. I am kind of glad that this isn't true, there would be even more screaming fangirls at the movies.
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: April 02, 2012 05:54
So I found out to my relief. I should know better by now than to fall for their April foolery. "Gullible" is my middle name...
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
on: April 03, 2012 01:36
"Gullible" is my middle name...
Parents can be so cruel...
lucie01
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2012 03:04
I still need to watch the trailer, really cant wait to see this actually need to read the book as well
Lucie bethan suzie Alice Costello 'I am the night, I stand for truth and loyalty, I reach into the flame and find peace."
NimrodelArwenka
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2012 01:34
I loved the trailer, and the song Misty Mountains!! I cannot wait to see the movie!
Although there is one thing that bothers me about the Hobbit movie. In the trailer you can see Galadriel to give Gandalf this comforting look. But c'mon! I know that Galadriel is a great queen but Gandalf is Istar (as mentioned in Silmarillion), so he is supposed to be of more profound knowedge, and of greater power than Galadriel. What do you think?
But anyway, I am still way to excited to see the movie
lucie01
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2012 12:49
ive just seen the trailer for the first time, its absolutly brill and the song about the misty mountains is so lovely and moving
Lucie bethan suzie Alice Costello 'I am the night, I stand for truth and loyalty, I reach into the flame and find peace."
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 29, 2012 08:23
hi all
i also liked the song over the misty mountains cold, so i went on to youtube.com and found a lady by the username shadowcat singing 27 verses of that song. This is what i searched, the hobbit over the misty mountains cold full length. or i think you could just google this http://m.youtube.com/watch?gl=AU&hl=en&client=mv-google&v=ME5urFBf0kk

hope you like it.

I apologise if someone has already submitted this information
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: May 16, 2012 06:29
So..when I went to see the Avengers I was half-expecting a Hobbit trailer. Anyone heard anything about when we'll see a trailer in the theaters?
Unless, of course, we've had one and I just completely missed the news!

Edited to say: Yes, I just remembered the one we'll all seen was a trailer to TinTin...I am specifically referring to a new trailer.
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2012 02:51
So..when I went to see the Avengers I was half-expecting a Hobbit trailer. Anyone heard anything about when we'll see a trailer in the theaters?

Well, I'm not surprised you didn't see it! Considering it's still over 7 months till release, with a teaser trailer already launched and continuous video production updates, the studios wouldn't won't to spoil the fans too much.

However, it is hoped (and many are also speculating) that the trailer will be attached to The Dark Knight Rises which is a Warner Bros. film and released on the 24th of July. On the other hand, some have said that since TDKR isn't in 3D, the studios wouldn't want to promote such a high-tech 3D film to a 2D one.

So this has led to other rumours that it might possibly be attached to some animated film or the Amazing Spider - which is also released early July.

So I'm guessing we should get a new trailer somewhere around mid to late July at least. (Let's also not forget the Comic Con event a few weeks before - who knows how that presentation will affect the release of a new trailer?)
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: May 21, 2012 03:53
I hope so. I have been waiting to see a Hobbit trailer in theaters for a long time. (didn't see the one for TinTin). That would be awsome though if it was attached to the Dark Knight Rises! Everytime I go to the theater I half hope to see a trailer.
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: May 21, 2012 05:01
So, I mustered the courage to take a small peek at a TORN article on the Hobbit footage review... mixed feelings again. What they write of Radagast sounds adorable, contentment there and I can finally see the children's book in the movie venture. Legolas is acceptable, a little over the top with fury but okay, given his dad had probably told him dreadful stories about Dwarves pludering Doriath.

But what the Angband happened to the White Council storyline? O_O ///SPOILER ALERT/// Witch-king sealed in a spell-protected (!) tomb or whatever? Most of all, this sounds like a really cheesy fanfic, roleplay, or an online game; not in the least like anything in Unfinished Tales or LotR appendices where they could have fished for some factual Witch-king info. I'm just hoping I misunderstood the review on this...
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2012 08:18
Can you post a link to the article please?
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: May 21, 2012 09:31
*sigh* it is going to be what it is. I am not going to watch that stuff, just going to watch the movie when it comes out. I'll either hate it or love it, or maybe have a love/hate relationship with it. Like Gollum. lol!

Though I wonder if writing a letter to PJ or contacting him in some way would help? Enough complaints about a certain thing might change his mind (if he doesnt decide to just do what he wants).

I don't know. I'm confused and have mixed feelings for it already.
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2012 02:55
Though I wonder if writing a letter to PJ or contacting him in some way would help? Enough complaints about a certain thing might change his mind (if he doesnt decide to just do what he wants).

That's a very difficult thing to do. What's done is done at this point - principal photography is almost finished now ... unless of course they can edit those scenes out without altering the entire story structure. But I very much doubt it.

I have read the TORN review on the footage and although I'm not 100% sure of some of the 'new bits and additions' I'm reserving my judgement until the film's release.

Nonetheless, some stuff really looks promising and a nice tie-in with what will occur in the LOTR storyline.
<< First2728293031Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email