Register

<< First2526272829Last >>
Author Topic:
Elthir
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Hobbit film
on: September 05, 2011 08:17
Because Ilandir has come in and tried to redirect the conversation after stating that our aside had gotten too complicated, and my response to that back-on-track conversation got lost in this continued debate.

Ilandir did not say it had become 'too' complicated but noted that he felt it was complicated -- and continued to post on topic. That's not alienation in my opinion.

At the end of the day, the eventual answers to all of your questions is "I don't know." because I am not Tolkien and do not have the ultimate answer. But neither do you.

One doesn't have to be Tolkien himself to have read his works. I have read a lot of them, but was wondering (asking anyone) if I had missed or forgotten anything concerning the side topic.

[Edited on 5/9/2011 by Elthir]
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2011 08:48

Ilandir did not say it had become 'too' complicated but noted that he felt it was complicated -- and continued to post on topic. That's not alienation in my opinion.

Exactly. I just thought that this being about 'The Hobbit' movies, it wasn't actually relevant in this topic ... of course as a subject to discuss it's very interesting but that, I think, is for the Books Section ...
asea_aranion
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2011 09:22
I also can see the entrance to Mirkwood as being a good point at which to split it - imagine the company at the edge of this really terrifying looking forest, Gandalf has just left, and they're looking up at the trees and it blacks out. I could see that working well.

Yeah, pity though that this is not a highly-plausible split

Do you think that it would be too early?

Perhaps a later alternative would be Thorin's arrival in Laketown, though that seems somewhat late... but not impossible?

I know that no matter where they split it, I will sit in the theatre going "OH COME ON! I DON'T WANT TO WAIT ANOTHER YEAR!"

I seem to remember this conversation happening when the Harry Potter movies were being split and everyone coming up with such a wide array of answers. Haha.
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2011 10:06
Do you think that it would be too early?

Not at all. But because of all this talk of the Dwarves' view on Bilbo, it doesn't seem to fit at all.

Perhaps a later alternative would be Thorin's arrival in Laketown, though that seems somewhat late... but not impossible?

Well, if you take into consideration the barrel sequence, they could cut to them arriving in Lake Town and seeing the Mountain in the distance ... so it's very possible.

I know that no matter where they split it, I will sit in the theatre going "OH COME ON! I DON'T WANT TO WAIT ANOTHER YEAR!"

With you 100% there. But look at the bright side, at least, no matter where they'll end up the first film, we'd still have gone back and revisited Middle-Earth!

I seem to remember this conversation happening when the Harry Potter movies were being split and everyone coming up with such a wide array of answers. Haha.

Yes I remember all those discussions and speculations very vividly ...

[Edited on 5/9/2011 by Ilandir]
asea_aranion
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2011 10:22
Now that I think about it, the arrival at Laketown with the mountain in the distance is another good one. I think the potential endings I seem to like feature a prominent new obstacle at the very end of the film, to evoke a "We've come so far but we still have so far to go" kind of feeling to it.
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2011 06:44
Now that I think about it, the arrival at Laketown with the mountain in the distance is another good one. I think the potential endings I seem to like feature a prominent new obstacle at the very end of the film, to evoke a "We've come so far but we still have so far to go" kind of feeling to it.

Precisely
asea_aranion
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2011 04:58
Clearly we are in need of a new production video to offer more discussion points. Haha.
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2011 05:46
Clearly we are in need of a new production video to offer more discussion points. Haha.

Hehe yes, indeed. It's been a month and 21 days since the last one ... we'll see
asea_aranion
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2011 05:48
Here's something I'm secretly hoping for - in the Lord of the Rings, there were a couple (I'm assuming intentional) throwbacks to the animated versions of the film. I would love if we saw that happen at some point in this film!
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2011 08:11
Here's something I'm secretly hoping for - in the Lord of the Rings, there were a couple (I'm assuming intentional) throwbacks to the animated versions of the film. I would love if we saw that happen at some point in this film!

Oh yeah, like the Nazgul at The Prancing Pony scene ... Hmm who knows ...
asea_aranion
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 17, 2011 03:13
From an interview with Evangeline Lily:

Tauriel is a new character in the mythology so as a book purist yourself that must be frightening to ponder how fans will react to your part?

“Yeah! I am very concerned to this day that people will watch the film and I’ll be the black mark on the film. I know how adamant the purists are and I’m one of them! That said, upon reading The Hobbit again, as an adult, I can see why additional characters were needed to round out the story as an adaptation – especially female characters! The Hobbit didn’t include female characters at all and was a very linear story, a book for children, really. What Peter, Fran (Walsh) and Philippa (Boyens) have done is all in perfect keeping with Tolkien’s world, while adding a third dimension to an otherwise very two-dimensional story.”

Thoughts?

I think that it's good that the person playing a totally non-canon role is very pro-canon, because hopefully that will help things not go too far astray...
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 19, 2011 08:56
Thoughts?

I think that it's good that the person playing a totally non-canon role is very pro-canon, because hopefully that will help things not go too far astray...

Yes I agree, but then again ... what other answer could you expect from someone who's playing THAT non-canon character? hehe
asea_aranion
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 19, 2011 09:34
Well, I would have been happier if she'd left off the bit about making a "very two-dimensional story" three dimensional. I'm sure it's not the intent, but whenever I hear these sorts of things, it always strikes me as a very "The author got it wrong and we're here to fix it" or "The author left it incomplete and we're here to set it right".

I understand that they're trying to incorporate additional information into this film that was not in The Hobbit specifically but is also part of the Tolkien legendarium, so I hope that her part is somehow more related to that... I don't want it to take away from the story.
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2011 04:39
Well, I would have been happier if she'd left off the bit about making a "very two-dimensional story" three dimensional. I'm sure it's not the intent, but whenever I hear these sorts of things, it always strikes me as a very "The author got it wrong and we're here to fix it" or "The author left it incomplete and we're here to set it right".

I understand that they're trying to incorporate additional information into this film that was not in The Hobbit specifically but is also part of the Tolkien legendarium, so I hope that her part is somehow more related to that... I don't want it to take away from the story.

Spot on.
spotted
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 21, 2011 01:36
I just read through the Hobbit and I agree, tolkien didn't need to write this third dimention. The only way they can add this and make me happy is if they keep the same story plot as origionally planned.
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: October 30, 2011 12:26
My, my..haven't been in here in awhile and look at all the discussion...you all have been busy!

I myself was just looking at an article stating a general release of Dec. 14, 2012 and wondering if it's too much to hope for a bit of a teaser trailer this holiday season? *fingers crossed*
Seems like those initial FoTR teasers came out pretty early if I remember correctly (although 11 years is a ways to think back!)...I may be thinking of the teaser posters that went up in theaters.

[Edited on 10/30/2011 by Aowyn]
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: November 01, 2011 12:58
I'd like to see more images and posters too. I wasn't a fan back when FotR and TTT were in the cinemas (I only joined the fandom before RotK came out), but I seem to recall that they were more forthcoming with information then. It feeds the general interest, so I'm looking forward to teasers and news for the new movie.

It could have escaped my ears, but I presume we don't know yet if the White Council will be in movie 2, or if there are going to be multiple storylines such as we saw in LotR? I'd love the latter, although a regular moviegoer might not appreciate that.
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
haldirluv
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 04, 2011 03:49

I agree! But I'm trying to trust the writers on this one. Peter, Fran, and Philippa have this wonderful screenwriting style that just works. They seem to know what I'll like before I know what it is. Arwen was written to have a larger role in the movies, which IMHO added to the depth of Aragorn's character because I so wanted him to succeed and get to be with her after watching their struggles play out. However, it was a controversial move and is disputed even to this day. Can they work their magic with this new elf character?
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 05, 2011 12:09
As a side note: anyone seen PJ's new production video?
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 05, 2011 08:14
Just watching it now. My only problem with 3D is that not everyone can see it very well due to eye problems so it may ruin the experience for some. I may watch it in 3D when it comes out and decide for myself then.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: December 06, 2011 12:05
So i just heard that in the movie they are making up Legolas' sister? Is this true??

I also have read that The Hobbit trailer will come out with Tintin. Sorry, I don't have a source, I don't have the page that I saw it on.
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2011 10:29
Not sure if you're refering to Tauriel...? In that case, I don't know. What is certain is that she is a Mirkwood Elf and won't be having a romantic relationship with Legolas! (confirmed by PJ himself). But I doubt she'll be a sister of some sort.

Re: trailer, yes. Apparently, Andy Serkis in an interview by IGN stated that a trailer would be released "around Christmas time".(http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/121/1212456p1.html)

A few days later, in an interview with Elijah Wood, he stated that: "I think it's going to be in front of Tintin" (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a352923/the-hobbit-trailer-to-debut-in-front-of-tintin-says-elijah-wood.html)

Of course, these are all rumours, but I guess coming from Andy himself (being 2nd Unit director) would be quite right.

Fingers crossed!

[Edited on 8/12/2011 by Ilandir]
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: December 08, 2011 12:16
Good! I am excited to see them trailer then. Not too much longer!
MallornHugger
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2011 11:15
Well, apparently, a Hobbit teaser trailer has been released at the BNAT film festival in Texas. Here's the (short) article from The One Ring.net:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2011/12/11/51299-hobbit-teaser-trailer-shown-at-bnat13-film-fest/
Elainiwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2011 07:07
Well, apparently, a Hobbit teaser trailer has been released at the BNAT film festival in Texas. Here's the (short) article from The One Ring.net:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2011/12/11/51299-hobbit-teaser-trailer-shown-at-bnat13-film-fest/

Can't wait to see it myself. Publish it in the web already!
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: December 20, 2011 01:58
It's being said around the web that it's going to be on Apple's trailer page tonight at 10EST, 7PT
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: December 20, 2011 04:43
YAY! I can't wait to see it!! I am going to stay up to see it.
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2011 05:16
So, what does everyone think of the trailer? I was really impressed with the dwarves song and how they put the words to music. But I am very disappointed that they don't have the colored hoods and are dressed in what looks like armor. Also looking forward to seeing Gollum again.
Does anyone know about how old Ian McKellen is now? He looked a lot older (of course ten years) in the trailer.

[Edited on 21/12/2011 by starofdunedain]
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: December 20, 2011 05:21
Excited!! I think Martin Freeman is going to do an excellent job! I love how there are "flashback" persay to the Lord of the Rings trilogy, like the scene of Bilbo and the broken sword, and such, and some of the scenes I wonder about, like some of the ways the dwarves seemed to be acting. But I think it is all in good taste and we will be pleased with the movie! I trust the PJ will do an excellent job.
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: December 20, 2011 05:35
Well I couldn't get it over on Apple but it's on comingsoon.net and I'm sure it's going to be up all over the place soon.
I did like hearing the song and seeing Bilbo go tearing out of his hole in an attempt to catch up to the Dwarves.
Honestly I didn't get the same intensity of feeling I felt when seeing the FotR trailer for the first time but I guess that is to be expected. This had a lighter feel overall, but having Gollum whispering out of the dark at the end was a nice touch.
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: December 20, 2011 05:35
I'm very very pleased with what I saw. The dwarf singing in particular enrobed me in goosebumps! Thorin Oakenshield, the broken sword, the encounter with Gollum, Galadriel...All the enticing bits in the trailer have raised my hopes for this movie a good deal.
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: December 20, 2011 05:39
It was a lighter feel, but the books have that too. Which makes the Hobbit great. I like the lighter feel, but the Hobbit has the intensity it needs too.

I like gollum at the end too!
calenmarwen
Realm Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: December 21, 2011 12:03
That Gollum scene in the end was great, I particularly liked Martin Freeman's acting there. But the scene stealer for me was the singing. I love Richard's voice there, and the whole thing gave me shivers. Its fantastic! Clearly the soundtrack for this one's going to be one to jump at! And I liked all the throw backs to LOTR of course
"There is more in you of good than you know ..."
Naurmaethor
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2011 07:14
I love the bits with Gandalf wondering through Dol Guldur. I think that guy he is fighting is Thrain, Thorin's dad that was captured by Sauron in Dol Guldur and goes insane.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate: and though I oft have passed them by, a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2011 08:48
Oh, was that Dol Guldur? I just assumed it was somewhere in the goblin caves but now that you say that I think that's most likely.
<< First2526272829Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email