Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
LadyEowyn_Of_Rohan
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Teachers: What do you think of them and what do they think of you?
on: November 21, 2004 08:19
I live in a town with a pretty good education system, so I like most of my teachers. They tend to either like me or act like I don't exist. For example, my L.A. (English) teacher gave me a bad grade on our Bush vs. Kerry debate a month ago, saying that I was a good debator but didn't talk enough. I had my hand raised the whole class, but she only called on me three times. The ones that like me tend to really overestimate me and often grade me harder because of that. It makes it really hard to suceed if I'm expected to do more than I possibly can.

Most of my teachers are pretty nice. They became teachers because they want to help people learn, right? But that's hard to believe sometimes. One Spanish teacher did nothing but yell at us all class and pick on students she didn't like. After a week of studying Sindarin, my Sindarin was much better than my Spanish. But it wasn't her fault: she was a strict teacher from when she started, which isn't a bad thing, but she didn't know how to handle a class. The students were really nasty to her, she was nasty back, and it escalated.
Triwi
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 05, 2005 07:08
I had a math teacher who stank soo bad he always had a fly buzzing around him and when he came to ask if you needed help you wanted to ask him what had died in his mouth. he was also a little slow as to what his students were up to. well one day my best freind got a lunch detention with him and he wanted to go to the bathroom so he told the kids not to move and he left the class room keys on his desk. well my freind didnt fell like staying for her detention and when he left the class, her and the other kids left too. However, she took the keys put them in window so he could see them and then proceeded to lock the door. I have never seen a teacher soo madd in my life he even threatened his classes. I remember the next day he was yelling at the class saying "IF I EVER FIND OUT WHAT SMART ........ DID THIS THEY WILL HAVE LUNCH DETENTION FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR" all we did was laugh at him.The next year I had a math teacher who liked to tell us that if we dont take ourt education seriosly because HIS tax dollars are paying for it we should drop out of high school and live in garbage cans. At least he smelt better.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 06, 2005 05:53
As a teacher, I find this discussion most interesting.
My goals for each year are to:
1.Build a love for and competency in reading
2. Build a strong foundation in math and science skills
3. Help each child to feel confident and cared-for
4. Make each child enjoy something about school and want to come each day.

I believe these goals are so very important, especially in kindergarten. Don't you think that the last two could also apply to middle and high school?

Any words of wisdom from students to a kindergarten teacher? School starts for me in early August.

MT
newsgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 06, 2005 11:17
It bugs me how nowadays kids make fun of teachers behind their backs and call them awful things... My freind once wanted to be a teacher but when she got to middle-school and heard everyone lashing at the teachers, she changed her mind because she didn't want to be made fun of. .
People should be respectful to their teachers, regardless of how they look, talk, or act, think about it, they have to try to teach some pretty awful kids.
Anyhow, I am homeschooled, so my moms my only teacher
Triwi
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 06, 2005 12:10
I think kids have always talked about teachers behind their backs. I dont think it is a new thing. yes it is true that some teens are inconsiderate morons that are rude and disrespctfull. I do believe that if you have a teacher that gives you respect as a student then the student in return will give respect to the teacher. I had a Latin teacher who gave all her students respect the same. she never picked on one student more then the other ( this was a great plus to me because I had the same class with my older brother). As we say about that class "You were never safe from her". In return all her students gave her respect.
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 06, 2005 04:42
As a parent, I roam around outside the school all day with a gun in my hand, just in case any teacher decides to misbehave! Just joking.

Minas Tirith, your goals 3 and 4 will be much appreciated by parents. In fact goal 3 is one that parents share with teachers.
Good luck in August!
http://monstersandcritics.wordpress.com/
kellymulder
CoE Volunteer & Seagull of Ulmo
Send Message
on: July 07, 2005 05:43
in my early years at highschool I used to dislike a lot of teachers, one had a terrible readingvoice, the other was strict, another chaotic etc. etc.

though, i've been 5 years in the same school (and one other to go) and I have grown to really like most of my teachers and to respect them... they're great people to be able to teach groups of annoying teenagers day after day...

ohw I've got to have dinner, I'll continue after I ate
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: July 07, 2005 06:01
It bugs me how nowadays kids make fun of teachers behind their backs and call them awful things... My freind once wanted to be a teacher but when she got to middle-school and heard everyone lashing at the teachers, she changed her mind because she didn't want to be made fun of. .

I think you'll find that most teachers develop thick skins in that department....I can't say I really care what my age group (15-19) thinks of how I dress or look or speak because I am in a completely different age group. I'm well-educated and a good teacher, and most of my students know and appreciate that, so who cares what a few teen curmudgeons think?
SCP
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 08, 2005 09:29
What I think of teachers??? They're the best ... I'm a teacher myself, well, upcoming. Just primary school (4 till 12 year olds) so many of my friends are teachers too. But if I think of some teachers I know I can understand some of you must hate them :banghead: Like at the gratuation of my brother, when he got his diploma. All students had to come into the spotlights and where spoken to by a teacher in groups of 3, 4, 5, sometimes 6 students each time. My brothers' group got this very stupid, fake teacher telling how every student surprised her in the past few years. To my brother: "Well, you were very bad in public talkings...." And to an other student "you did well in all those years, but you blew up the final exam..." Is this something you say at a evening like this? :twitch:
Personally I've had a lot very good and nice teachers. Can't complane, well ofcourse I can, but it doesn't seem fair to all the things I hear about other teachers.
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: July 08, 2005 11:11
What I think of teachers? Well, at my school most of them are either nice, but usually not IN class, horrible, because they just don't teach well or mean, either to the kids or because they're good

It's pretty easy for me not to hate/dislike teachers a lot, I'm one of those kids that doesn't always pay attention, but doesn't bug the teacher either, learns well and ends up with good grades. Yeah, they like me.....
yankeegirl
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 08, 2005 01:58
It depends on the teacher. I've had a few good ones and others who scared the living daylights out of me and hated my guts.
Nyérëven
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 08, 2005 06:30
Personally, I've loved most of my teachers so far, and hopefully, they haven't completely hated me. It's pretty hard to hate a science teacher who handmakes a Strider costume right? Yeah, he's really fun both in class and out, and probably my favourite.

My math teacher was great. While I *hate* math, she was always so patient with me, and really helped me understand it better.

THen there's my English teacher. With the exception of one incident, she's a ton of fun. Very strict, but as long as you aren't totally misbehaving, she can make class fun. Hehe...although, she *did* steal my Faramir picture of my desk one day and let the other kids coler it PINK (which I hate...) Guess I shouldn't have fallen asleep in class huh....

ALthough--I have had bad experience with History/Geog teachers. In 9th grade, I was convinced that my Geog teacher hated me! Which he may have. He was always getting on to me! Example: It's a free class period, so half the kids in my class are sitting on the floor, playing cards. Not a problem. Well, then I sit on the floor, cause a friend wanted to braid my hair. Instantly, he's all on top of me, and I get in big trouble for sitting on the floor. Like hello? So was everyone else! Anyway, I also have proof that he marked my papers down for no reason..which irritates me as I am a perfectionist at school!

But overall, I loved most my teachers. And most of them were really nice to me. Too bad that I'm switching schools now and have a whole new set of teachers to get used to...
ABagginsOfTheShire
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 08, 2005 08:44
It bugs me how nowadays kids make fun of teachers behind their backs and call them awful things...

Yeah, I don't think teachers are very touchy about that stuff nowadays. It does annoy me, however, when people are rude to teachers just becasue they are teachers. I've done my fair share of talking behind teachers backs about them, but that's only the mean ones, and there are also some teachers that I really like and I would never say anything mean about them. But being mean to the mean teachers just makes me feel better.

What I think of teachers - I like the patient, funny ones. The ones I don't like are the ones that are crabby all the time, or the ones that don't understand what they are teaching you themselves (and I've had a few of those, mind you...). They ramble on and on, and they don't stop to see whether you understand it or not... they're annoying. Or the ones that teach you like your babies. My english teacher this year, she just hands out A+, we don't think she actually think she reads what we've written. That could be a good thing, some might say, but it's annoying when you've put effort into an assignment, and she doesn't even read it...
I loved my science teacher last year. She was an angel, very patient and I learnt heaps from her.

It's pretty hard to hate a science teacher who handmakes a Strider costume right? Yeah, he's really fun both in class and out, and probably my favourite.

Oooh, cool! I think it's really important to have good science and maths teachers
Celedë_Anthaas
Stargazer of Ithilien
Send Message
on: July 09, 2005 01:06
Most of my teachers have been pretty good. There were some that were annoying, though. One of them always compared Norway (where I live) to the Netherlands (that's were I'm from), saying Norway was so much better and blahblahblah. And when we were learning about politics in class, he only told us his own opinion.
Otherwise my teachers have been fairly good (apart from this English teacher whose English was very bad)

[Edited on 9/7/2005 by Celedë_Anthaas]
SCP
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2005 10:44
It bugs me how nowadays kids make fun of teachers behind their backs and call them awful things...

Yes this is stupid in some kind. Because mostly these kids do it because it makes them look "cool". Jippy ya jeej But sometimes some teachers really are bad.....

This makes me think about something that happened in my 3th class. I was with two friends and they were always talking about sex and these kind of things. Comparing and imagening the most strange things. That day they were imagening how the teachers would have sex, what they would say or do...it was pretty funny (this kind of funny you ask yourself later how you could have found it funny, but in the moment it was, probably because you're young and adolescent...) Than we were imagening the math teacher with the english teacher. (they were accually married) The English teacher would scream "oh yes, oh yes" (obviously) and the math teacher would say "shall we turn a 180 degrees?"
Than we were getting sick of laughing, in the middle of the math class.....oopsie....the teacher wanted to know what was so funny. He was really kind and patient. But ofcourse we couldn't tell, what made it even more funny. Later we deceided to write him a letter to explain it. He didn't like it, but he liked it we told him. He accually is again stupid as I write it down again. I really don't understand what made us laugh that much and why we came up with it....I guess it was just the moment and the hormones. And so I think talking about and put off against teachers is just part of growing up. Just like discovering sex...
newsgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2005 12:33
Part of growing up!?!? How can you say that? Why can't people be [/b]respectful[b] of their teachers, parents, etc? It doesn't matter if the teacher doesn't care whether he/she is being made fun of. Not all people are like this, don't get me wrong, it's just my opinion. (and it's not stupid)
SCP
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 20, 2005 12:33
Part of growing up!?!? How can you say that? Why can't people be [/b]respectful[b] of their teachers, parents, etc?

When you're young you look up to those people. When you grow older you come to see they are not perfect. They don't know everything. They might do things you don't like, you think that isn't right. That scares and that makes these teenagers do these stupid things. I think a lot of them regret it, at least I do. I really made big fights with my mother. When I grew up she was always home and I thought she was perfect. Than I hated her for not being perfect. I thought she changed because she started working and things like that. I also had some difficult times with other things and at home, seeing my mother not beoing perfect was the famour drup. Anyway we fought a lot and I regret it now. And we can get along fine.

That's what I ment.
Salquelatine
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 21, 2005 09:37

I'm not one who will call them stuff behind their backs. Now don't get me wrong I'm definatly not a goodygoody. I'm far from it. I'll tell people what I think of them right to their face. And that doesn't exclude teachers. And I'll admit some of the stuff I say isn't to nice. I'm mean it can be repeated here and all...

People should be respectful to their teachers, regardless of how they look, talk, or act, think about it, they have to try to teach some pretty awful kids.

You're right. I've always had a problem with talking behind pples backs, nowadays I just say it to their face (like I said earlier) I've been having quite a problem. I'm too brutally honest sometimes. Right now I just have to figure out a way to be nicer to pple, while still being honest. But seriously some of my teachers are VeRy eccentric.
Rilain
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 06, 2005 09:57
My teachers usually like me... I'm an advanced student in the class, so sometimes they ask me to help others... it's embarrassing. I've liked all the teachers I've had... this last year was especially good! I remember once in grade six we were having a mulitiplication contest and I beat my teacher... LOL that was hilarious! She took it really well though...
Mrs_Boyd
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 06, 2005 11:18
Well, me and teachers have never really gotten along very well...last year, one of my teachers had it out for me, I swear!! Everytime we had a big project, I would do what she wanted, and yet she still gave me really crappy grades!!!! God, I am soooooo glad to be out of her class...
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 06, 2005 11:46
well, I got along well with my teachers. (save for a few) I had one teacher- Mrs. Crowdis- who taught me all 4 years of highschool- world lit, then journalism/school paper for three years. I count her one of my dearest friends and mentors, and I still keep in touch with her.

I've always respected my teachers. (except for one, who dressed like a student and flirted with the boys in her class. ugh. disgusting.) and I feel really bad for them... it seems like kids are getting worse and worse...
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 27, 2006 01:21
Well I can think of only 3 bad teachers in k-12 and many good teachers...
Mrs Keckler was too strict but after my blader lost it in class and she found
out how freaked I was she got better, which was good for everyone...
She is the only teacher that I ever saw make a radical change for the good
in a single term and still ceep her cool.

I won't give the names of the 2 teachers at highschool that I had to go to
the principile about... they both stayed bad.
One accused me of copying a paper that I had written out by hand as my mom watched me work...
the other didn't believe me that the dog chewed my homework and called
me a patent liar.
The next day my mom came into class with me and handed him the homework then she chewed him out in front of the class for abusing me
and she did this with the princilals permission too...
he didn't last the school year and never worked in the district schools again...

It would take a hundred pages to write about the good teachers so I'll name my favorite ones along with the subject they taught.
Ms Betty Lindsay Humanities.
Mr Murphy Math.
Herr Sager German and American History.
I wish I could remember my kindergarten teacher but all I remember is her soft voice and her patience with me...
I had a special studies teacher whose first name was KC never did find out what those letters stood for...
My choir teacher was great she taught 4th 5th and 6th graders in the same class and had us all singing like angels...
My art teachers were really good they loved what they did...

Kudos for my ceramics teacher who modified the class requirements to
adapt to my disability.
The other kids were actually jealous because I got to do special projects...
Of course I had to wrtie papers showing why my project had to be made
in a certain way, but they were only 4 page papers...
I never threw one pot but I had 20 ceramic sculptures at the end of the
class ranging from a recreation of 12c BCE Pictish coiled pottery to sets
of figures for Thanksgiving and Christmas...

In ten years at college I have met only 3 bad teachers and all of them were full of themselves and I told them so too. one was an art teacher who made improvements I wont tell his name to anyone as his was a simple mistake.
Another thought he could teach 300 level classes and work for the city at the same time ... his classes all suffered. The third thought he was above his students it was ego plain and simple...

The good college teachers include but are not limited to:
April Curtis and Frank Lang Theater, Ralph who teaches Geography [now distance only], Scott he taught art 115... Regina Braker and Kathie Godfrey Deutsch....
Mr Ott Mideval History ...
oh you might get a better idea if I give you the schools...
Portland Community College, Clakamas Community College, Aptos College, Barstow College, Eastern Oregon University, and Portland State University...

I've one more term for my BA then post bacc studies... will teach in four years.

OK I've posted too much again... Cat the chatterbox!

awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: July 27, 2006 02:31
Teachers make an impact on your life. I had a wonderful teacher in my seventh grade class that inspired me to teach. His name was Mr. Dortch. He made me see that I have potential and that I am not stupid. Just before he died I wrote him a letter telling him what a difference he made in my life and I would strive to be a caring,fun-loving,make learning fun teacher.
asleepingvision
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 30, 2006 04:19
The Good

Mrs. Armstrong: My 9th grade English teacher. I think the first thing that I heard her say was, "I have two loves in my life, Shakespeare and chocolate." I loved her instantly. Her class was the only class that I actually looked forward to in my entire schedule. She used to read Of Mice and Men to us (yes I know 14 is a little to old to be read to, but I enjoyed it!) and had different voices for each of the characters. A lot of kids didn't like her because she was a hard grader, but that was only because she really cared whether or not her students got something out of her class. She pushed everybody to do their best, and actually enjoyed her job.

Mr. Murray: My 12th grade Math teacher. The first thing I have to say about this guy is that he REALLY cares about his students. He was hilarious AND he managed to teach math too! I remember he used to put fake answers like, d.) none of the above old man! and e.) Lisa Loeb and all these crazy things. I actually still remember most of the stuff he taught us. You could tell he really cared about his students because he would be one of the first to arrive at school and one of the last to leave. He tried to put on this facade like he was a mean old bastard, but everybody could see that he was a really cool teacher.

Mr. Welte: My band teacher was INSANE!!! He loved all the kids in his band and knew all of our names (all 200 of us). Good times. He loved to tell stories (like the time a student brought a case of beer to school as a souvenir from Germany in the principal's office) and made boring band songs fun to play.

The Bad

Ms. Fabiano: Argh. She was the worst math teacher I ever had. She never answered any of my questions... unless you count a lecture on how stupid I am to not understand such simple concepts.

The Ugly

Ms. R: My 10th grade Spanish teacher was HORRIBLE. At least all my other teachers had a gist of what they were teaching, but she knew next to nothing. Her students were constantly correcting her, and she tried too hard to be friends with her students instead of a teacher. She told us ALL about her summer vacations, which vacation spots are best, how her husband spoils her and how she loves to go tanning. I wanted to scream.

[Edited on 7/31/2006 by asleepingvision]
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2008 10:25
Almost all my teachers are/were nice, but there was this one I had in Primary 7 who was completely horrible. She was called Mrs Wright but I sometimes used to call her Mrs Wrong. She always used to get at me. I reckon she should have been anything but a teacher cause she was a rotten teacher.
Then there was Mrs Liddell, my 1st Year Home Ec teacher. She grumbled at her class so much and if we were working on the sewing machines and made any kind of noise she'd go mad. Horrible...
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
Imahobbitgirl2
Realm Leader of Manwë Súlimo
Send Message
on: March 26, 2008 08:37
Let me tell you young'uns about the differences between teachers today and teachers back in the "olden days". Many of the teachers today I have noticed are much more willing to accept differences in their students -- in the way they look, dress, act, and learn -- than many of the teachers I had. Most of the teachers I had just plain didn't understand me -- and I just plain didn't understand them. Back when I was in their classes I hated them, but now when I look back I can see that they were frustratedly just trying to teach as best they could a shy, rebellious, tempermental kid like me who half the time just didn't understand what was going on. Many teachers today are now more learned in the way different students learn and behave in schools today. Okay, students, lesson over. I will now rant gloriously in the teachers that I had. :evil:

First the good:

As I said, most of the teachers I had I just didn't understand and didn't even try to help me. Some, though, were absolute angels and were a great boon to my developing life. My 5th grade teacher was an old family friend that I'd known since forever and was the single coolest teacher on the planet, IMHO. He made learning fun and brought out the best in everyone. He was the one that discovered my budding creative-writing talent and actually taught me to draw more than just stick figures, and he always encouraged me to try my hardest in everything I did.
Seventh-grade history was, without a doubt, my favorite class in all of junior high. My teacher would show us videos from Schoolhouse Rock and we would get to act out historical events in our own "unique" way (Founding Fathers as hip-hop artists, Civil War debate using childish playgraound insults). I liked it so much that when I was in high school I came back for a semester as a teacher's aide.
My geography teacher was absolutely insane. He had these catchphrases like "Riiiiiiight" and "Let me tell you a dream I had about 'L' (hell)" and then proceeding to tell a very funny story involving everyone in his class! If we finished an assignment in class early he would let us draw ugly pictures of him on the back of the paper, and if somebody didn't draw something he would say "This is the inside of this person's mind"!
A couple of my math teachers (I had so many different ones because I was so hopeless in that department I was passed from teacher to teacher) particularly stand out to me. One would play 60's music and let us put our heads on our desks at the end of the period. My favorite math teacher I had all through 7th grade. He worked so hard and was so patient with me that is was the only math class I was in that I got higher than a D in (B+, baby! :disco: ) Unfortunately I only had him for that one year.
I had a real close bond with my 7th grade gym teacher (and that was another class I was terrible in). She would fill out personal progress reports on me and then talk with me about how I could do better. I could come to her with any problem (And believe me, I had a lot of problems) and she was always there for me. She left to have a baby after I finished her class. I miss her.

Now, for the not-so-good (okay, evil :evil: ):

My 6th grade gym teacher's name was Mr. DeMean. Let's just say he lived up to his name. He would run us ragged while we were warming up and he once flunked me because I couldn't do a single pull-up. He didn't even try to help me do one! :angry:
But the one teacher that stands out for me as the single most evil teacher in the history of teaching was my sadistic 3rd grade teacher. 3rd grade was not an easy time for me. I was constantly bullied and had hardly any friends, and she made it even worse for me. She had this loud, screechy, high-pitched voice (Think Ringwraith in human form.) that yelled at the top of her lungs at anybody who dared do the slightest thing wrong in her class and then she would grab that person by the neck and squash their nose to the brick wall. (My nose now has permanent brick-wall marks from all the times I was there.) Half the time I didn't know what I'd done wrong. I hardly passed anything in her class because I often didn't understand what we were doing and she would never help me when I asked for it. Sometimes I would be so frustrated I would start crying and then I would get in trouble for crying in her class. One time she even sent me home because I'd cried too much. And as for my bullying problem, well, she sided with the bullies. One time she came in the room to find me head-first in the wastbasket surrounded by the bullies who'd put me there (as they often did) and she laughed. :angry: :angry: :angry: I hated every minute in her class, and though this was eons ago, I will never, ever forget the way I was treated then. I can sympathize with the rest of my teachers having to put up with me but there was no excuse for her treament.

Okay, my incredibly long post is finished. I feel much better now. Thank you for putting up with me! :love::love::love:
Eletúrë
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 28, 2008 03:57
Teachers have a hard job, and I really appreciate all that they do.
I am lucky to be in a school where all my teachers go the extra effort to help us.
I dont have a favourite teacher, and the only teacher I dislike is the one that tried to convince me that LOTR was a "simple fantasy".
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2008 05:38
As a teacher it's very difficult to give each student what they need mentally, spiritually and physically. I believe that is what I must do, though. My heart breaks for those students of mine whose home life has a negative impact on their lives. Wish I could do more to help. Please pray for me and for all teachers, that we do what kids need most.
HaldirofLorien13
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2008 12:40
My teachers all hate me because I think for myself. I think I have schizoid, so I sit there with a blank look through all their classes. Except Geography. I am a whiz at that and my 7th grade teacher really helped me with this. She was so nice to me and loved having me. But my other teachers have called me losers, given me detentions for no reason, they have suspended me a few times, and all sorts of awful stuff. I really hate them. I have no funny stories to tell.
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: April 06, 2008 11:31
As a teacher it's very difficult to give each student what they need mentally, spiritually and physically. I believe that is what I must do, though. My heart breaks for those students of mine whose home life has a negative impact on their lives. Wish I could do more to help. Please pray for me and for all teachers, that we do what kids need most.

Couldn't have said it better myself
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email