Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
disturber_of_the_peace
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: punk rock fans?
on: January 29, 2004 09:44
If your talking about Punk you can't not mention the pistols, i mean come on in the Uk tops

I found this irish punk band called Flogging Molly
Pirate Punk!
I recommend all to listen
ShortytheDuck
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2004 10:18
Disturber, I agree.

Flogging Molly has been my favorite bend for a very long time now. They're the greatest.:heart:Flogging Molly:heart: is the hotness.
Wulf_Sternhammer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 01:15
Shorty, so far in all my reading of this thread, you seem to be the only one who has a real grasp on the genre known as punk.
Admittadely I didn't recognise some of the bands names (being an Aussie), but based on the style of bands they are mentioned with, they are definitely not repeat NOT punk. And use of terms like "Old-school" and "New-school" mean nothing, it either is or it isn't. Most of that type of "Jargon" is nothing more than music industry jerks trying to sell a band to a particular market (mostly young teen) packaged so that it seems more rebellious than what it is but still within the bounds of what there parents will tolerate. If you want to know what punk is really about you need to check out what the bands of the late seventies and early eighties were on about. Back then it really was a backlash about things in society that affected the younger generation. Its the same with what the music industry tries to pass off as soul now, it tends to have a complete lack of soul,the very thing it claims to be.
Without meaning to offend anyone, I think alot of you need to look a bit deeper into things and see through the thin vaneer that "Executives" put over there products in order to get a sale. The recording industry especially. They are after all in it for the profit. That includes many of the bands.
And by the way, my favourite punk bands include:
Exploited,Stiff Little Fingers, Sham 69, Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, Anti Nowhere League (the early stuff obviously), Rancid, and recently I've been listening to some stuff I really liked that I have found out is the Drop Kick Murphys. Thats a band I want to hear more of.
Wulf_Sternhammer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 01:23
Oh I forgot early Clash (they went more Ska later), Buzzcocks, Permanent Damage, And an Aussie band I loved to see in the early eighties I Spit on your Gravy, bad name but those guys really went off at the Helter Skelter Club In St Kilda, Melbourne.
Morque
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2004 08:43
OK, I am about to ask the unthinkable: What is the definition of punk? I know in my heart what I define it as, but perhaps all these miscommunications in what we are all viewing as punk, and what we aren't, stem from the difference of opinion of what punk is. So I am not asking this question out of ignorance, but rather, just trying to get a better grasp on everyone's opinions on this broad topic.....
obsessive_elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2004 03:44
yes! there are ppl in this world who understand me!!!!!!! hey have any of you heard of a band called dang? i like them i was watchin bluetorch on foxsports, and i heard one of their songs and it was awesome...also an neat band is gob. ne1 heard of phantom planet? or the darkness? was watchin mtv this mornin and they were on...their drummer is hot...ok enuff! yeah, i am getting into some really hardcore music ne1 know any good bands? ive checked out half of them on this forum...well yeah.
obsessive_elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2004 11:46
by the way, rock on Flash! u r so lucky u got 2 c GC live!!! ya know, i beleive i am listening 2 flogging molly now. thanx 4 the recommendation guyz! by the way, has ne1 ever heard of eskirama? theyre not bad. its pretty funny. as much as i like gc, i still like music that kinda makes fun of them. ya know, i also dont quite get y ppl call gc pop. cuz they r not totally pop. i think they r getting overplayed. this magazine made me really mad cuz they were calling gc 'power pop'. question: WHAT IS POWERE POP?!

[Edited on 6/2/2004 by k]

[Edited on 6/2/2004 by k]
Flash
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2004 07:53
why thank you. check out Lacuna Coil, Lullacry. Look for goth metal, and bands not from the US. They kick butt.
Wulf_Sternhammer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 09, 2004 08:33
OK, I am about to ask the unthinkable: What is the definition of punk? I know in my heart what I define it as, but perhaps all these miscommunications in what we are all viewing as punk, and what we aren't, stem from the difference of opinion of what punk is. So I am not asking this question out of ignorance, but rather, just trying to get a better grasp on everyone's opinions on this broad topic.....

OK, I will try to keep this as general and to the point as possible. The Punk movement was born in the inner city areas of London and Manchester in England in the mid seventies.It was a lower working class youth rebellion against the injustices of a class based society that was taken on by the disgruntled youth of other classes as a way of making their own stand for what they thought was wrong in the world. This was similar to the "Hippy" movement of the late sixties, but unlike the hippies this new monement didn't believe in turning the other cheek and peaceful solutions. Quite the opposite, in fact violently lashing out was pretty much the way of it. So of course the music reflected this; fast, hard and furious use of power cords and riffs, with angry lyrics aimed at the establishment.
At about the same time as this was going on in Britain, the underground music scene in the USA was also evolving a more reactionary feel to it with performers like Iggy Pop, and Patti Smithleading the way. Its a funny thing that the term "Punk"is believed to have been coined here, but the US performers style was very different to what was happeneing in Britain, sedate even by comparrison. The british style and energy would be what was picked up in the US and other parts of the world and become known as "Punk Rock".
A little footnote is that in Britain, some of the styles evolved in someways from the Skinhead, (NOT the modern Neo-Nazi skinhead) and Rockers of the sixties, tie dyed and torn denims, leather jackets and chains, but others found there inspirations elsewhere.
Bands of this period to check out: Sex Pistols (of course as they bought the music to mainstream attention) Sham 69, Stiff Little Fingers, Cockney Rejects, and from the US I still don't think you can go passed the Dead Kennedy's.
I hope this helps. If you want to know more there is a publication that still may still be available from one of the British underground publishers simply titled "Oi".
Morque
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2004 08:01
Thank you for your answer, that was very informative. I appreciate your helping me in an attempt to better understand this awesome genre. I will also make sure to check out the bands you listed. Once again, thanks!!
Wulf_Sternhammer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 11, 2004 12:48
Your welcome
Flash
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2004 06:03
that was the best and only true definition I've ever heard. Thanks.
ILoveHaldir
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2004 05:08
I love Punk music and always will.
My favorite bands are.

Good Charlotte(I think you got that from the sig the avater.)
Simple Plan(In love with the music)
Blink 182(Great songs)
Sum41(Love them to death)
Mest(You most likely don't know who I'm talking about)

I think thats all. I like alot of bands.
I just got into GC around Christmas My cousin came and cut all the GC pics out of my mags and now I'm obsessed.
If you want to know anything about the bands above PM me
and I'll reply as soon as possible.

witchking
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2004 08:21
that was a great definition Wulf_Sternhammer! *applaudes* i love punk and emo!
~One_of_the_Dunedain~
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2004 07:21
who said GC was pop? no one. Simple Plan, yes, they are more on the Pop side, but their still in the punk genre. and The Used, they are definately not pop. I don't know what your deal is. But I love punk rock, or even better, underground music. GC has got to be my fav band of all time. I've loved them since "The Little Things"

Bwahahahahaha!!! Another GC obsesser just like me!!! LOL
GC has GOT to be my fave band EVER!!!!!!!!!
~One_of_the_Dunedain~
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2004 07:27
I have had the pleasure of seeing GC live, and let me tell you. They were definately singing it, and it wasn't pre-recorded. Oh, and man are they awesome. They are actually better live. They pump so much energy into the crowd. Yup, it was GC, Something Corporate, and Saving Face.

I am SOOOOO jealous!!!!! Did you get to meet them??
~One_of_the_Dunedain~
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2004 07:35
Why does no one pay attention to the true fans? The ones who've loved the band before they were on the radio, before they had a cd out, before anyone else even heard of them? Why? Everyone is focused on the teenie fans. I mean come on, teenies, they are not fans of the music, obviously, they are fans of the hot guys. Sure, the guys of SP are hot, but damn do they have talent.

People need to get past the teenies and look to the true fans, most of them love older punk bands...or should I say 'real punk' bands, as everyone calls them. I think nowadays, everyone judges a band's genre on who their fans are. That's not right at all.

I totally agree... I am no teenie, but I love GC to death along with SP. So what if they're hot, can't they have talent also? Why do people think that way!? It is definately unfair, you cannot catagorize a band on they're fan-base. EVERY band has teenies and true fans, fans who are there for them no matter what...not just there for them because of their looks.
I'm done ranting now
~One_of_the_Dunedain~
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2004 07:37
I don't mean to cause friction or anything, but I am a fan of Punk Rock, and do not doubt GC's place there. Isn't it every band's dream to one day be heard? Have their opinions regarded by the masses? I see them as a part of the movement, not of commercialization. With that said, does anyone like The God Awfuls or Tsunami Bomb? I really like a few songs that I heard from those two groups....

True, that.
Flash
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2004 04:39
OMG, OMG OMG, i went to a Something Corporate/Yellowcard headlining tour, and I met Andrew, Brian, and Josh from soco, and then the drummer from YC, and then all of the opening band Sleeping at Last. they were great. sadly no one from the format
Morqua_Aiwë
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 29, 2004 05:39
I LOVE PUNK ROCK!!!!!!!! i cant believe u didn't list blink 182. and i dont think simple plan is punk (i think simple plan is pop)
KazeiMallonel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 11, 2004 06:24
I m eclectic

but I really love Good Charlotte and other punk rock bands

I don't like almost every r&b

I like offspring, Heideroosjes,Metallica, Queens of the stone age,....

[Edited on 11/5/2004 by KazeiMallonel]
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2004 01:42
I m eclectic

You hain't met my taste in music yet, girl, if you think that's eclectic... lol. monk-chants, Simon and Garfunkel ((RULE!!!))... hmm... ambient, and of course, the reason i'm here, Bad Religion... Amazed no one's mentioned them yet... I've heard them categorized as "Rock", "Ska" (don't ask me!), and, of course, Punk Rock.

IN addition to Wulf's history, I'd like to add a *definition*... at least my definition. Anything that makes the singer turn blue in the face, the drummer come away with bruised hands, and the guitarists to stumble away dizzy is punk rock to me. Or anything that sounds like it would do that to the band... basically, involving some very loud guitars, usually really fast, hard beats, and SCREAMING vocalists.

Bad Religion... "Ain't it beautiful to be alive!? Yeah right!!" (--The Defense) has become basically my favorite "angry music" band ever. They rock.
Orion460
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2004 12:14
Im a rock fan. im a massive fan of;
Linkin Park
Evanescence
Hoobastank
Lostprophets
Adema
Staind
Drowning Pool
Pink
Guns N Roses
and some more but I cant remember them all at the moment because Im at college! lol
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2004 06:45
oh, in explanation to my definition (*is too lazy to quote*) my older bro drummed for a punk band for a few years. The band of the changing names... mail order children, prescription funk (except it was punk music), djate, SKWI, etc. Anyway, I know from first hand experience that the drummer's hands are bruised... well, first taking-care-of-bro's-hands experience. At the practices, the singer turned blue.. poor james... and the guitarists did stumble away dizzy. and they had a keyboard, but he wasn't affected by it, apparently.

anyone else had to live through a punk band?? literally, live with them? SOOOO LOUD!!! you can hear it down the street, and they practiced LATE... uck.
parabellum
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 01, 2004 04:48
good charlotte and simple plan are notpunk rock (good charlotte okay maybe a little) they are classified as pop/rock.( meaning youll likly hear them on astation that playes britney) tru punk i Limp bizkit and such. come on man know your genres
witchking
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 04, 2004 11:15
just becuase you mentioned limp bizkit... i thought i'd just say that i like "behind blue eyes." i'm outta here.
tala
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 10, 2004 06:43
gc rocks! and have any of you guys heard yellow card? the are awesome.... blink 182, simple plan, linkin park,avril lavigne, pink(not exactly punk... but still cool),.... the all rock

Send Message
on: March 22, 2005 03:13
i heartagram punk (i no a heartagram is for HIM) it is like the only music i listen to and any rock really
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email