Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Linteamarthwen
Council Member
Send Message
Post What made your hair stand up on end in ROTK?
on: January 15, 2004 04:45
What I wanted to know is what made you feel shiver bumps in ROTK. For me it was the music, it was sooo beautiful and inspirational. The movie wouldn't be the same without it. And also when something really cool was said, like "For Frodo.." that was cool.:love:

[Edited on 16/1/2004 by Linteamarthwen]
Frodos_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: What made your hair stand up on end in ROTK?
on: January 15, 2004 06:05
Wow....I got goosebumps several times throughout the films, but the most "memorable" were probably:

-Whenever they play that darned Shire or Rohan music (it's so sad!!) :cry:
-When the Rohirrim started screaming "DEEEEAAAATH!!"
-When Gandalf and the Rohirrim charged into Helm's Deep
-When everyone in Gondor bowed to the hobbits
-When ROTK ended
-Gandalf's speech about death to Pippin
-During the ROTK game, when Gandalf speaks as the camera goes over the Argonath

Ok, so the last one isn't *technically* the movie...but whatever.
Tel_Quessir
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2004 06:40
yes. for frodo, and merry and pippin getting passed by everyone else. haha. the prelude stuff also. i did not like gollum. he much better as cgi then when he ate the raw fish. nasty.
Mara
Chiquita Banana
Send Message
on: January 15, 2004 08:09
I would definitely have to agree with the whole Rohirrim battle cry! I absolutely loved that! I REALLY wanted to shout "DEATH!" too - actually I almost did, lol - but I was afraid they'd kick me out of the theatre! lol...that's not too weird, is it?
Oh yeah, I also loved the music as the beacons were being lit! And I almost forgot the Nazgul screech! *cringe* There are probably some more that I'm not capable of thinking of at 1am, despite the fact that I just got home from seeing it for the 6th time an hour ago...lol...oh well... :dizzy: :dizzy:
minuial_gil_estel
Send Message
on: January 15, 2004 08:37
I have to say the thing that gave me the most goose bumps was where Aragorn says "My friends, you bow to no one"... seen it 7 times and it still gets me!

I am too tired and cold right now to think of more.. but maybe I will post something else tomorrow once I have warmed up... gotta love Canada! lol
Daewen_oGurth
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2004 09:08
One word: Nazgûl. I got so freak out when I hear them (in a good way) I was at the Library and there was this door that when the wind blew through it it sounded exactly like a Ringwraith. It was freaky!

I also got goosebumps at the Shelob part. I was waiting so long for that part and it was awesome! She moved exactly like a real spider!

When do the Rohirrim shout Death? I didn't get to hear that part.

Aragorn says 'For Frodo' I love that part, especially after hearing *why* he actually says it!

Over all The Whole Movie gave me goosebumps and made my heart lurch for poor Mister Frodo :cry: :cry:
Michelle
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2004 07:28
Ahhh, so they're shouting "Death" - I was wondering what they're mumbling about, but perhaps it was just bad dubbing
samandfrodoforever
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2004 08:25
I love Pippin's song. It is so amazingly beautiful. And having it spliced with Denethor eating his food like a glutton and wonderful Faramir riding to battle makes the scene even more head spinningly impactful. Billy Boyd's voice is just like the twinkling of stars, or a gentle bubbling brook. You don't expect this from Pippin either and it's almost shocking to hear that voice come from him. I've seen the film 8 times and own the soundtrack, and I am breathless every time I hear it. I get goose bumps.

Shelob scares the shit out of me everytime, it's my favorite part of the book as well.

Oh and when Aragorn says "You bow to no one..." I shiver with joy and get really weepy because I know it's almost over .

Ah, and when Frodo leaves Sam. It's just shocking and my poor baby cries. Sean Astin was amazing in that scene.

[Edited on 16/1/2004 by samandfrodoforever]
Lindir
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2004 02:26
OK. The part that really makes the hair rise on the back of my neck is the beacon scene. Each time I've seen it (that would be twice) it has had the same effect. It's the combination of both incredibly amazing music and stunning scenery ... just thinking of it right now is making me go all wierd inside. I managed to record that piece (The White Tree) from Classic FM, and every time I play it, it stirs - has to be played loud, of course, for full impact...

Lindir
Frodos_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 16, 2004 05:21
A few more I remembered:

-When Arwen saw the vision of Aragorn and Eldarion
-When Arwen says boldly to Elrond: "You saw my son."
-When Gandalf scared off the Nazgul with the white flash
Eden_of_the_WoodlandRealm
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2004 12:03
The only thing that really got me was the beacons. Stunning scenery, music and how a message could travel that far.... I don't know. It's also great at the end when Aragorn says "Gondor calls for aid!" and runs really fast, not trying to look all kingly, like he usually does. Does that make sense?
peregrin_shadowfax
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2004 12:36
Frodo: "No, Sam. It's you." :cry::cry: I don't usually cry when watching a movie, you know..

oh and the part where Merry and Pippin are split up.. and the "DEATH!!" part... plus the part where gandalf and frodo leave.. "the last few pages are for you Sam." :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Oh I love this movie.. :dizzy:

Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: January 17, 2004 05:04
This is difficult, since it's 'hair on end' and not just 'go all teary-eyed and mushy'

I guess, what most people have said already: the charge of the Rohirrim on the Pelennor - all of it, but especially the music when they actually charge in, and the word 'death'. I swear, I think the entire row shook with just me suppressing my tears - which didn't work anyway.

Also - For Frodo. Majestic.

And, speaking about hair standing on end, wow: Shelob when he appears the second time. Man, I used to have a real case of arachnaphobia and I can swear I was bathing in cold sweat.

I guess, the arrival of the Eagles should be mentioned too.
Navalina
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2004 07:36
I got goosebumps big time when it seemed completely hopeless and then the Rohirrim arrive! The wide shot of the army was soooooo... I can't even find the right word to describe it!
Kay-Alison
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2004 10:48
I get shivers for:
- Gandalf and Pippin riding up the levels of Minas Tirith
- Beacons!
- Rohirrim all shouting "Death" and then the scene where the riders are pushing a "wedge" into the orc ranks
- Eowyn pulling off helmet, "I am no man!"
- Aragorn: "For Frodo."
- Sam picking up and carrying Frodo
- All Gondor kneeling before the four hobbits

Just a nitpick - quite a few have referred to when everyone "bows" to the hobbits. The hobbits bowed to Aragorn (bend at waist), then the whole crowd kneels (get down on one knee).

[Edited on 19/1/2004 by Kay-Alison]

[Edited on 19/1/2004 by Kay-Alison]
Sullie
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2004 12:46
I agree with all but everyone has failed to mention the part when Frodo decides to keep the ring for himself. brrr...
Camannar
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2004 04:43
My hair stood up on end partly because thats how I do my hair, with wet wax and all... and also because of the music and the death of Théoden... That was sad, I wanted to cry but I couldnt force myself.

Camannar
Onua_Wingstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2004 04:44
Almost everything! But in particular:

*When Galdalf and Pippin first see Minas Tirith over the hill and while they're riding up through the levels of the city and arriving at the upper court...that whole sequence just makes my heart swell every time...the music especially.

*The whole beacon sequence.

*When the Rohirrim ride out of their camp and head for Gondor.

*When the Witch-King rides up on his Fell Beast and lands on the turrets of Minas Morgul.

*Faramir and his men charging to their deaths while Pippin sings to Denethor.

*(Everyone's favorite) The battle cry of the Rohirrim...when the camera pans back and you see the entire line stretching across the pelennor.

*When the Haradrim show up. (Oh, yes.)

*Aragorn's song, with the blossoms from the Tree showering down - they look so beautiful against the dark clothes everyone is wearing and against the stone of the city.
"Out if the Great Sea
Into Middle-Earth I am come
Here I will abide
And my heirs
Unto the ending of the world."

(Sung in Sindarin)

*Seeing the Ship sail off into the sunset...surely one of the most beautiful images ever captured on film. And the music is incredible.

I cried so much at the end, especially the theme, "Into the West." And I never cry during movies. I really have to give it to PJ. Of course, I expected to cry - I just didn't expect how amazing it would really be.

Camannar
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2004 09:18
*Aragorn's song, with the blossoms from the Tree showering down - they look so beautiful against the dark clothes everyone is wearing and against the stone of the city.
"Out if the Great Sea
Into Middle-Earth I am come
Here I will abide
And my heirs
Unto the ending of the world."
(Sung in Sindarin)

That would be sung in Quenya, not Sindarin if memory serves me correctly.
ladylirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2004 08:35
The part that really sent shivers up my spine was when Sam said to Frodo "I can't carry [the Ring] for you, but I can carry you!" I'm getting shivers writing it.

I agree, the whole seqence with the Rohirrim is chilling.
also=
-Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli jumping off the boat and attacking with the Dead
-The scene with Arwen looking into the future and seeing Eldarion
-Pippin singing while Faramir is riding to his death.
-The whole sequence at the Cracks of Mount Doom.
WildRose
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2004 04:43
Pippin's song.
Gandalf's speech to Pippin. Acually, that bit made me very nearly cry.
When the camera cuts back to the other 3 hobbits as Frodo is going to get on the boats, and Pippin is crying. That was where I started crying.
(No, I'm not Pippin obsessed, but those moments did get me.)

@-'-,------
Roheryn
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2004 07:45
many things made me cry and many made me feel rather good, but what 'made my hair stand up on end' was:

Pippin's song against the charge of Faramir and his men

the lighting of the beacons

Shelob's second appearance, above Frodo

Gandalf's words to Pippin about death

'Into the West' - everytime I hear it.
Celebrianna
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2004 05:31
I swear my heart stopped beating for a moment when Elrond revealed Anduril to Aragorn saying, "They will answer to the King"

Also, when Elrond said, "You ride to war, but not to victory." That was such a profound statement to me. I often wondered what would have happened if Aragorn did not take the Path of the Dead and went to war alongside the Rohirrim.

Those were my chilling moments.
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: January 20, 2004 07:37
Also, when Elrond said, "You ride to war, but not to victory." That was such a profound statement to me. I often wondered what would have happened if Aragorn did not take the Path of the Dead and went to war alongside the Rohirrim.

This reminds me of something else: when Théoden admits that the Rohirrim don't have the strength to defeat the enemy in battle, but concludes with: "But we shall meet them in battle none the less."
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 20, 2004 12:53
The whole movie gave me goosebumps. There really was not a single moment when I could just sit back and relax. Even the 'quiet' parts were full of emotion.
tenthousandlies
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2004 03:40
The charge of the Rohirrim at the Pelennor Fields.
Pippin's song
"For Frodo"
Shelob stinging Frodo
jo
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2004 04:30
The beacons.
Theoden's speech to the Rohirrim before they charge the Pelennor Fields.
"For Frodo."
Andtalathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2004 09:03
Oh wow, there were so many parts that made my hair stand on end, I can't possibly name them all! To select just a few:

*When the Rohirrim were chanting "DEATH!", and then when they charged straight into the orcs and practically flattened those in the front... I sooo nearly cheered at that point
*Pippin's song. Billy Boyd has a beautiful voice, and I just want to leap through the screen and pull Faramir back...
*When Sam carries Frodo up Mount Doom
*When Eowyn says "I am no man"
And most of all:
*The lighting of the beacons! Best scene ever... I was in awe.

And also, in TTT, when Gandalf and the Rohirrim arrived at Helm's Deep and charged down that slope... that really makes me shiver (in a good way). The Nazgul's screech has the same effect on me too. It's just so creepy and perfect.
sarumans_wolf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 26, 2004 10:09
#5. When Gandalf 'died' in the fellowship of the ring
#4. When Gandlaf anf Eomer appeared at Helm's Deep
#3. Aragorn's little black gate speach
#2. Sam's line,"i can't carry it for you Mr.Frodo, but i can carry you."
#1. THe charge of the Rohirrim into pellenor fields

i cried during two of those. #3 &5. i dont know why. anyway, yeah. i got goosebumbs at all of those parts.
bwcogburn
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 08, 2005 09:42
I was getting goosebumos throughout the entire movie.
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 08, 2005 05:51
Same thing as bwcogburn. But what really made my hair stand up was when the beacons were lit. Just seeing how they responded and the music. I almost fell of my chair in the movie theaters that day. I held my breath for some reason...
foolofatook~
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 08, 2005 08:06
Oh gosh...there's so many of those!! Probably #1 on my list would have to be when the Nazgul (at the entrance to the Dead City) screams. *shivers* I get goosebumps just thinking about it...
LadyPunk
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 09, 2005 12:48
Lets see, umm.. I'm gonna have to say.. Shelob sneaking up on Frodo made me watch between my fingers.
hobbitnamedeliza
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2005 05:12
I think the most chilling scene is Denethor telling his youngest son that he wished he'd died instead of his brother... I'm not sure there's anything more horrific one could witness.

Second, and just following, watching that wronged son charge to certain death to the haunting tenor of Pippin's song.
Powerful stuff, I thought.

[Edited on 3/2/2005 by hobbitnamedeliza]
Tinúmelë
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2005 09:29
Top five

5) Merry and Pippin's tearjerker parting.

4) Arwen seeing her son. The Twilight and Shadow music gets me every time. So sad and sweet. "There is nothing for you here. Only death."

3) Aragorn at the coronation singing and the petals falling down.

2) Pippin's song. One of the most poignant movie moments. The intercutting of the scenes were a masterpiece.

1) The Rohirrim at the Pelennor. So hauntingly beautiful, almost unearthly...sends shivers down my spine... more so than any other part of the movies.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email