Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
Caegaraneva
Council Member
Send Message
Post It all started at the the white city fair
on: February 11, 2004 03:39
The marketplace fairly *thrumms* with the liveliness of commmerce. The bustle of the crowd creating a lively atmosphere where anything was bound to happen. Dancers in bare feet with jingling anklets perform intricate steps to the beat of the of a tamborine and the melody of a lute. Goods poured from Dale and the dwarves Under the Mountain...everything from sheaves of wheat to arms and armor to fanciful trinkets, toys and clothing, all of superb quality. With the new king, Elessar and the defeat of the orcs, the air is filled with the spirit of rejuvenation and new life. The ancient fair has once again come to Minas Tirith!
Tirgoth is a man who has lived in Minas Tirith all his life. He works at a smithy as an apprentice. He is about 18. He is tall for men these days, at 6'4, and muscular. Today he is working the forge, trying to ignore the revelries going on outside to concentrate on his work. Sweat runs down his finely muscled back as he pounds the hammer on the forge. As he turns to see his master, the old man Carmidor, his face is revealed from under the bandana he was wearing to protect it. His eyes are clear blue and dazzling, his features are striking, with chiseled cheekbones, so that even with the smudge and grime of work marring the face, he is still exceptionally handsome.
"Go ahead, have some fun" says Carmidor. "You need a break!"
Tirgoth smiles with gratitude, breathless from the hard work on the anvil. He pulls on a clean shirt and splashes water on his face, then grabs his fathers sword that he carries with him everywhere. He steps out the door into the thriving marketplace, and almost immediately sees someone he recognizes. His heart thumps hard against his breastbone as he goes over for a chat....

( ooc: i hope you like the idea of this, and please join! IF you dont like the present tense style im cool with that and i can change it in future posts. thanks )

[Edited on 22/5/2004 by Caegaraneva]
Elrin
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: It all started at the the white city fair
on: February 11, 2004 10:59
Galcora lifted the flute to her lips and began playing a fun little tune. Children came closer to listen, their mothers close behind. Galcora watched the people pass as she played. It was good to see the joyful spirit among the people again. Bright colours dazzled the eyes and the music and dancing entertained many.
Galcora felt a smile grace her lips as she watched the little children dancing to the tune of her flute. As her song finished she was applauded before the people dispersed to watch the other entertainers. Galcora felt her stomach grumble as the delicious aroma of hot fresh bread met her nose. Picking up the few coins that she had earned she went in search of the bakery.

(ooc: I actually prefer using past tense, though I don't have a problem if you use present tense.)

[Edited on 12/2/2004 by Elrin]
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 12, 2004 08:38
Ilmare bounced on her toes as she followed her father through the gates of Minas Tirith. She had not been here since she was very young, and she couldn't remember anything of this great city or the white tower that shone like polished pearl in the sunlight.

Reaching the heart of the city, Ilmare's father, a ranger of Ithilien, paused and reached for something in his belt purse. "Ilmare," he called, reaching his hand out to her with something in it. "Go, enjoy the fair. Meet me back here at the end of the day, is that clear?"

"Yes, Ada," replied the younng woman, accepting the money he pressed into her palm. "Thank you!" She dashed off into the crowd, looking for all the world like a child instead of a full-grown woman of 22.

[Edited on 12/2/2004 by Arwen_Undómiel22]
Caegaraneva
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 12, 2004 11:46
"Galcora, wait for me" yelled Tirgoth as he saw the lithe form with the telltale golden eyes walking across the square. As she turned to greet him a lump rose in his throat. He had been waiting to see her all day, mostly because last time he had seen her she had hinted that something big was going to happen 'Down below" in the sewage quarters of the city, and that they might be a part of it. The young lad was very excited by such news, having hardly left his district his whole life. It also seemed however that there was something special about Galcora, the way she moved, that beautiful smile, the dazzling eyes....
Shaking such thoughts out of his head,he moved towards Galcora
"What is this proposition of yours? Tell me more!"

(ooc: ball is in your court, im kinda new at this so not sure what direction u wanna take it)

Elrin
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 12, 2004 01:11
Galcora heard someone call her name and turned to see Tirgoth walking towards her. She waved in greeting and waited for him to catch up. "What is this proposition of yours? Tell me more!" Tirgoth asked with a look of excitement in his clear blue eyes.
Galcora smiled at him. "I will tell you more but first I must find something to eat or I will faint." Galcora spotted the bakery and turning to Tirgoth asked "Care to join me? I'll tell you what you want to know after we've had lunch."

[Edited on 12/2/2004 by Elrin]

Caegaraneva
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 12, 2004 04:52
"Sure but not there" said Tirgoth, motioning to the bakery.
"I want to show you the best food in Minas Tirth."He continued, and took Galcora by the hand and led her toward one of the side streets. They proceded towards what could be called one of the seedier parts of the north district, not that that is saying much, the north being one of the respectable districts. the noise and bustle of the the fair faded away as they left the marketplace and moved to a quiter section. The streets here were not the smooth stone of much of minas tirith, or the hard packed sand of the centreal marketplace, but grimy old cobblestones, many of them sharp. as they continued walking they began to smell the most delicious odor. The smell of fresh baked bread wafted along the street, and a peculiar twangy smell accompanied it, making the air feel vivid and sharp. Tirgoth drew in a deep breath and gave a contented smile as they walked into the smallest foodstore this side of the misty mountains. It was little more than an oven, a cauldron, and an icebox. In the cauldron a yellow sauce was bubbling. Just as they came in they saw the tiny, hunched old man who owned the nameless store pour the cauldron of liquid into a large bowl and put it in to the icebox. Taking out the one already in there, he began to dip the freshly baked bread in the sauce, then put it on a rack to dry. On one end of the rack there lay the finished product, made not 20 minutes ago. The smell was breathtaking.

The hunched old man looked up as they entered, and smiled,
"Tirgoth, how nice to see you!! Where have you been these days! Here i have something for you somewhere in here"...he rummaged around in the folds of the cloak, never stopping the continuous barage of speech "So how is calmidor doing up there? and are you finally getting some skills on the forge eh? youyou'll never have the strength and skill of ur old grandpa tho" he joked. Since the old man seemed to be done, Tirgoth volunteered to introduce "Galcora, this is my grandfather. Grandpa, this is Galcora. I want to show her some of your amazing boiled bread."

(ooc: sry for rambling on il try to keep it more concise)
Elrin
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 12, 2004 06:38
Galcora breathed in the delicious aroma as Tirgoth and the old man talked. Tirgoth introduced them and Galcora learned that the old man was Tirgoth's grandfather. "Good day to you sir" Galcora said in greeting.
"May I ask what heavenly smells are coming from your little oven?" she asked once as she breathed in the aroma once again.
Galcora watched curiously as the man dipped more of the bread into the sauce and put it on the rack. "What sauce is that?" she asked. Galcora could feel her mouth water as she looked at the finished bread on the rack. "I would very much like to try one" she said to the old man.

(ooc: You're not rambling and if you are then thats good. My posts tend to be short and sometimes boring, I really should try putting more in my posts.)
Caegaraneva
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2004 05:37
"the sauce is secret fair lady, noone but me knows the recipe, not even Trgoth here" his grandfather said with a grin. Smiling, Trigoth's grandfather handed them each slices of bread, which Tirgoth insisted on paying for. Taking his outside with Galcoran he bit in. The beutiful warmth of the bread and the dazzling cool taste of the sauce mingled in his mouth. He sighed deeply. His grandfather was a master chef with only one dish. This was his lifes work, his opus, his masterpiece, whittled down so that nothing but perfection remained. And it was wonderful.

"so Galcoran, now we can talk in private, and your stomach is satisfied. " he said with a grin. "What is your secret plan,I'm dying to hear more. " He asked excitedly.

[Edited on 15/2/2004 by Beleg_Strongbow]
Elrin
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2004 08:12
Galcora was silent as she relished the taste of the bread. When she had eaten everything she turned to Tirgoth.
"Well there have been rumors going around that groups of orcs have been raiding villages. The orcs do not kill many though, but instead carry off people and livestock. We also heard from a reliable source that it was thought that someone has been rallying support from the orcs. A few of our people have decided to investigate and help the villages. Paldor and I have decided to join the group as we are both trained with sword and restless for adventure. The whole thing is sort of secret though so we are going to slip out by means of the sewage tunnels. We will be leaving in four days and I thought that you might want to come along." she fell silent for a while before speaking again.
"If you do not wish to come along then fine, but you must not speak of it to anyone, you hear?"

(ooc: Not the most original plot but hey. Sorry I took so long to post.)
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2004 06:48
(ooc: Can I be Paldor, Galcora's brother?)

"Hey, you two! What mischief are you up to now?"
The cry coming from above startled both Galcora and Tirgoth who hadn't know they were being watched. They looked up to see the familiar face of Paldor grinning down at them from the ramparts a level above. He waved gaily at their suprised faces.
"So, little sister," he called down, somewhat more quietly this time. "Did you tell him about our uhh, our plans, yet?" He glanced around quickly, to make sure no one else was paying attention to the conversation.
Then, resuming his typical good-humored expression, he gestured at Tirgoth. "Do you some good to get away from that stinky forge for a few days anyway," his grin grew wider. "Maybe then, you'll finally be able to woo my sister properly!"
Caegaraneva
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2004 07:17
)Laughing, Tirgoth picked up a clot of mud from the street, and yelled out "Why you little!! Now you are revealing MY secret plans!" he said, lobbing the mud far off target, Paldor just grinned in response. "Well, you are forgiven, just get down here and fill me in. Your sister has given me the general idea, but go ahead and tell me the details. I think i would be interested in the venture you described(this he adressed to Galcora and Paldor) for I too practice often with the swords that i make at the smithy (3 hours a day...Pirates of the Carribean anyone?)And as you said, any excuse to leave the smithy a bit and get some fresh air. " THis he said, but fresh air was not on his mind so much as a few days alone with Galcora...maybe he would have a chance to gallantly rescue her from danger...His heart leapt at the prospect of some daring adventures.

(ooc:sure i dont mind if you join, and no problem Galcora, we can do plenty with that plot and its no biggy taking a long time to post.)
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2004 01:09
Paldor smiled in response to Tirgoth’s enthusiasm and gestured for them to wait while he came down to talk to them. He wanted to continue the conversation without shouting their plans across the entire city for everyone to hear. He quickly made his way down the familiar maze of passages, jumping over low walls, and dodging the crowds who, attracted by the fair, thronged in the higher level streets. He reached the level below in record time where, slightly breathless, he joined Tirgoth and Galcora who were waiting for him expectantly.
“I’m so glad you want to join us,” he told Tirgoth, clapping the young man on the back affectionately. “We can certainly use someone as skilled with the sword as you are. And, goodness knows I can always use an extra pair of eyes to keep my baby sister out of trouble! She’s the black sheep of the family, you know!” Paldor grinned widely while Galcora rolled her eyes and snorted in disgust. She knew he was just teasing her though. Paldor would never embark on an adventure without her: the two of them had been inseparable since childhood.
“Why don’t we move over there, away from the storefronts,” Paldor suggested, gesturing to a more secluded area near an old fountain that hadn’t flowed in many years. The threesome huddled together beside the ancient cracked basin and Paldor began to lay out the plans for their upcoming impromptu adventure.
“I don’t know how much Galcora told you,” he began, “but ever since the destruction of Barad Dur, the hundreds of orcs who escaped into the countryside have begun gathering in small bands and raiding the more isolated villages between here and the Riddermark. At first, no one really paid much attention because the bands were small and the attacks disorganized and easy to repel. But, in the last few weeks, their pattern has changed. The orcs have apparently grown in numbers, and their attacks have been much more organized and deadly. Several villagers have even lost their lives in some of these skirmishes”. Paldor paused for breath, before continuing.
“The real mystery is: Who is leading these orcs? None of them are intelligent enough to plan the clever series of raids which have been occurring these past few weeks. They were bred to follow orders blindly, not to lead an army. And besides, everyone knows that orcs would rather murder each other than take orders from a fellow orc. So someone, or something must be telling them what to do.”
“How do you know all this?” Tirgoth interjected, caught up in the idea of bands of orcs creeping secretly across the countryside.
“Do you remember our father’s friend, Eother of Rohan? His son, Emoril rode all the way from Edoras to Gondor last week to see if we were experiencing the same attacks as the villages in the Riddermark. Along the way, he stopped in many towns which had been the victims of these increasingly violent raids. That’s why, when he arrived at Minas Tirith and told us of the defenseless villagers, Galcora and I knew we had to do something. Last time the men rode out to battle, we were told we were too young and had to stay within the safety of the walls of the white city. But that time is passed. We are nearly of age, and have no intention of letting the villagers continue to be massacred without trying to help.”
Paldor finished his tale, his eyes gleaming with anticipation. “So, what do you say, old friend? Will you join us on our adventure?” he asked.
Caegaraneva
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2004 02:59
(ooc: very nice, i like long posts)

"Of course," said Trgoth giving his friend an equally hearty pounding on the back, leaving Paldor laughing and wheezing doubled over at the same time. "But I heard one of you mention 4 days. Why the wait? The way I see it, we must get going as fast as we can to battle as many of these orc squads as we can, and hopefully find their leader. We cannot delay!" In reality Tirgoth would have liked a little more time to get an excuse to leave the smithy for an indefinite amount of time, maybe some relative who wanted him to visit or something. But he liked feeling like a man of action, especially in front of Galcora. Galcora. She seemed to constantly be on his mind these days, those dazzling golden eyes could not be dispelled from his mind. An indescribable emotion coursed in his veins just being near her, and he was beginning to wonder if this was beyond one of those childish crushes that every boy has:love:. At the same time though, he was gravely worried about acting upon any of his feelings, because of Paldor. He joked around with his sister, 'trying to woo my sister eh?' and the like but Tirgoth knew that in reality Paldor was very protective of Galcora, and Tirgoth was very wary of jeapordizing one of his closest friendships. And he didnt even know how Galcora would respond should he decide to tell her his feelings. No, he thought, there is too much risk of alienating two of my best friends to act on this. He hoped these strangely powerful feelings would just...go aay before they caused too many problems.
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2004 04:40
(ooc: Thanks! I was worried it might be too long. I tend to ramble, and I’m not sure how long posts are supposed to be in these things, but since we only get 7 a day, I figured I’d better make the best of it! Btw, I love your character development!)

Why the four day wait? The question hung in the air, as Tirgoth gazed at the siblings expectantly. Paldor and Galcora exchanged a rather guilty look.
“Well, we figured we wouldn’t set off for another four days because we need time to gather provisions and, and stuff…” Paldor said vaguely, trying to avoid Tirgoth’s sharp gaze. There was a moment of silence, while he tried to think of a graceful way to back out of the question.
The truth was, their father would be going out with the other soldiers on one of their regular trips around the borderlands of Gondor in just a few days, and both Galcora and Paldor had agreed immediately that they should wait until he was gone before departing on their own mission. They both loved their father dearly, but he still seemed to view them both as children, and certainly wouldn’t permit either of them to embark on such a potentially perilous adventure if he got wind of it. For this reason, they had decided to postpone any overt preparations for their upcoming journey until after the coast was clear. Their mother, they knew, would be safely immersed in her work at the houses of healing, and would certainly be oblivious to everything until it was too late and they had already made their getaway.
Tirgoth smiled at his friends’ discomfiture. He knew Paldor and Galcor’s family almost as well as his own, and could well imagine the true reason the departure had to be delayed for a few days.
“Four days it is, then,” he said, without pressing Paldor any further, to the young man’s evident relief. It was hard enough to have to sneak around behind his father’s back…to have to admit it to Tirgoth would have been humiliating, Paldor thought. Well, perhaps this would finally be his chance to prove himself to his father and everyone else! He couldimagine himself slaying orcs with each swipe of his sword as the people of Gondor gazed in admiration.
Pulling his mind forcibly from the all too familiar daydream, Paldor nudged his sister. “We’d better get back home Gallie,” he said, using their old childhood nickname. “Mom said she would be working late at the houses of healing, so we’re supposed to be home in time to have dinner with dad. You know how he hates to eat alone.” Galcona nodded, but didn’t move, clearly reluctant to leave Tirgoth.
“Why don’t we all meet tomorrow, same time, same place to go over the list of everything we should bring?” Paldor suggested.
Elrin
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2004 04:46
Galcora frowned a little, "I would rather let us decide what we bring now, something may take a while to find. I'll prepare the basic supplies for the three of us, unless you prefer to do it yourselves. We would also need to think of our horses and polish our swords and weapons. Leave food and water to me. If any of you wish to bring somrthing else then do so as long as it would not hinder us on the journey. I would also ask mother for some healing supplies as Im sure we will be in need of some if we intend to find these orc bands. Anything I've missed?"

[Edited on 17/2/2004 by Elrin]
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2004 04:52
Ilmare wandered through Minas Tirith, looking at everything, smelling everything and trying not to trip over her own feet as she looked around. She felt like a country bumpkin, which was almost true. Her father disliked great towns and mighty doings and kept her with him in their little house outside Ithilien.

Ilmare never figured out why he had decided to come here today; they didn't need supplies, the king hadn't summoned her father, and no great emergencies were occuring.

Pulling away from the main crowd, Ilmare headed down a small street leading to an ancient fountain. Voices echoed from that area, and the young woman frowned. Brushing her face-long hair back, she kept walking, fingering the Elven bow that occupied a comfortable place on her back.

The talk stopped as she came into view of the speakers, one woman and two men. One was obviously a blacksmith from his muscles and the burn marks on his clothes. The other two were probably brother and sister; they looked enough alike for Ilmare to figure that out.

"Um...I'm sorry," Ilmare fumbled for words in the largely unfamilar Common tongue. In her father's house, Elvish was the language commonly spoken, though her father was no elf, nor related in any way to one. "I only wished to get away from the crowds...forgive my intrusion." She turned hastily to leave.

((Is it all right if Ilmare is a part of this adventure?))
Elrin
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2004 05:11
(ooc: anybody can join our little adventure and Ilmare will be welcome.)

Galcora looked past the two men as she saw a woman walking up. The woman's hair hung to her soldiers and a bow hung on her back.

"Um...I'm sorry, I only wished to get away from the crowds...forgive my intrusion." the woman said uncertainly. It was clear that she did not speak much in the Common tongue. The woman turned away hastily and started walking away.
"Wait, do not go," Galcora called out. "You have not intruded and it is peaceful here. I have not seen you here before, come away from the crowds and tell me your name. My name is Galcora and this is my brother Paldor. The black smith here is Tirgoth." Galcora smiled at the woman cheerfully.

[Edited on 17/2/2004 by maeghin]
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2004 05:14
(ooc: The more the merrier! Welcome to Ilmare! Btw, I just have to tell you all. This RPG stuff is a first for me, and I am having an absolute BLAST!!!)

Paldor turned to appraise the newcomer. There was something awkward about the way she spoke: clearly the Common speech was not her native tongue. It lent her a somewhat exotic air, he thought. He recognized the accent as Elvish, although the woman herself was clearly human. How intriguing! He liked her short, no nonsense haircut, and the way her cheeks dimpled when she smiled up at him in response to his gaze.
"Yes, you are welcome...mae govannen!" he said with a grin, trying to recall some of the phrases he had picked up from Elven visitors who came to the great white city over the years.
"Show off!" Galcora commented with a wry look at Paldor. She could already see the telltale signs of an early infatuation: the very tips of her big brother's ears were starting to turn red.
"So, what brings you to our fair city this day?" Paldor continued hastily, as if Galcora hadn't interrupted. He graced her with what he hoped was one of his more charming grins.
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2004 08:48
Ilmare turned back and smiled hesitantly at the three. She was reassured by the smiles flashed her way, and she accepted the woman's invitation, perching comfortably on the edge of the fountain. Paldor was gazing at her, and she smiled up at him, noting that he was taller than her by a few inches.

"Hannon le," she responded to Paldor. "I am Ilmare," she continued, looking at the others, "my father is a ranger of Ithilien, and we came here for the fair." Her smile was rueful. "I had not expected for there to be as many people as there are."

((This looks like it's gonna be loads of fun! Welcome to roleplaying, Gwenneth!))
Caegaraneva
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2004 11:36
"Well, it is fantastic to meet someone new to our city. I see you have some of your father's talents yourself, by the looks of you." He said, noticing the graceful elven bow on her back. He was intending to cause Galcora to think over the prospects of a fourth adventurer. He shot her a meaningful glance. This girl looked quite capable...there was a sort of dangerous air surrounding her, making her look like she was not one to be messed with. And their group could use a little bit of ranged support...He looked at the other two questioningly, and seeing the same thoughts mirrored in their eyes, but uncertainty as well. He left it up to them to decide, for after all it was their adventure.
Elrin
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2004 05:29
Galcora caught the glance Tirgoth directed her way and saw what he was thinking. Galcora looked at her brother who was staring at Ilmare with a smile on his face and dreamy eyes. Galcora fought down the urge to roll her eyes but the smile escaped her.
Galcora turned to Ilmare ."I ask that you forgive my curiosity but how is it that you carry elven gear and I have heard an elvish accent in your voice yet you are not elf?"

(ooc: Glad your enjoying rping Gwenneth)
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2004 08:26
Ilmare smilled slightly. Everyone who had stayed around her long had always asked about that, and it was a reasonable question. "The accent is easy to explain," she started. "As I was growing up, Elvish was the only language spoken in my father's house, so Elvish was my first language. Common I learned only a few years ago. And as for my gear...my father is close friends with Prince Legolas, and he took me with him to meet him once. The prince gifted me with a bow and quiver, and I bought the dagger later. I have found Elvish craftmanship to be what i work with the best."

She looked between the three of them, her eyes sharp. She had caught the glances exchanged and wondered what they were thinking about.
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2004 09:43
As Ilmare explained her origins, Paldor found himself liking her even more. That accent, and those exotic looking weapons... he just couldn’t help being fascinated by the unusual woman before him. He glanced meaningfully at Galcora, trying to convey his intent with his eyes alone. Surely his sister could see what a useful companion this Ilmare might prove to be on their upcoming adventure. Galcora was looking at him with humor clear in her wide golden eyes. What did she think was funny, he wondered self-consciously? Her knowing smirk made him even more acutely aware of Ilmare’s expectant look, now focused on him.
Well, if they didn’t broach the subject with her now, Paldor thought, they would probably lose any chance of doing so. Ilmare would almost certainly disappear back into the crush of people who thronged throughout the city during the fair. He might never find her again! This final thought provided the impetus Paldor needed. He cleared his throat nervously, wondering where to begin, and hoping that Galcora wouldn’t be too angry with him for divulging their secret plans. At least, she was a stranger to the city, he thought. So it wasn’t likely she would spread the word regarding their adventure, even if she chose not to join them.
Trying to compose his thoughts, he began awkwardly:
“Oh, uhhh…Ilmare, I uh, that is we uh, we would like to ask you something…” After stumbling over the first few sentences, Paldor composed himself, and continued on to describe the events of the past few weeks, and their upcoming plans. “So,” he concluded, “Does that sound like something you would like to be a part of? We could certainly use another pair of sharp eyes, and willing hands, especially ones skilled with a bow and arrow!”
Caegaraneva
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2004 09:55
Tirgoth nodded and backed up Paldor, saying that one more to add to our company would be a most welcome addition indeed. He didn't want his friend to feel like he was left hanging and his decision was unsupported by the group. He filled Ilmare in on a few more details, such as the time of departure, basically just supporting what Paldor had said.
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2004 10:38
Ilmare listened to all that was said with shining green eyes. An adventure! Just what she had dreamed of for years! Then the shine left her eyes as she remembered something. "If it were solely up to me," she said, "I would join you in a heartbeat. But I have to get permission from my father."

She paused, considering her options. "Can I meet you somewhere sometime tomorrow? If I have time, I may be able to convince adar nin...sorry," she blushed slightly at her slip, "my father, to let me go."
Caegaraneva
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2004 12:06
"Sure, that would be great," replied Tirgoth. "We cannot leave for another four days anyways. I will get out a little early tommorow, in time to meet you someplace for dinner. Come here to meet me and I will take you somewhere. I don't want there to be a chance that you will get lost...Where are you staying, in case i need to stop by for some reason?"

The others murmured assent that dinnertime would be good, and Ilmare said farewell with a wave. (ooc:if anyone had anything to say just pretend that this post came later.)

All the next day, Tirgoth was antsy in anticipation, both of the adventure, and of anothe meeting with Galcora. Calmidor noticed, saying "Aye boy, your work is suffering badly, what are ya gettin all excited about now?" But Tirgoth remained silent, promising to tell the old man when the time was right.

That evening, Tirgoth was waiting around by the fountain, dabbling his hands in the cool water and waiting for the others. Galcora was the first to arrive. "Hie, thee there, state your business," he said with a smile in a mockery of the gate-gaurds of Minas Tirith.

[Edited on 19/2/2004 by Arwen_Undómiel22]
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 20, 2004 09:55
"I am staying in the Falling Tower," Ilmare replied. "I'll meet you here tomorrow, then, even if I cannot come."

With that, Ilmare waved good-bye to the others and headed back into the crowd. It took her a few moments to find her father by the gate. They went to the inn they were staying at, and Ilmare explained the whole thing to him.

"Ilmare," sighed her father. "You know how I feel about things like that. You are too young to be traveling into these kinds of adventures."

They were speaking in Elvish to disguise their conversation...and because Ilmare argued better in that langauge.

"Ada, I'm twenty-two!" she cried, turning on her heels to look at him. "I'm not your little baby anymore! I can take care of myself!"

'You have no idea what forces you are meddling with when you deal with orcs!" Ilmare's father got up and held her shoulders. "If this is truly what you desire," he continued quietly, "then I will allow you to go. But please consider carefully. As of yet, you have only hunted deer with your bow."

Ilmare held her father's shoulders as well. "Ada, I have to do this. I cannot explain why, but it is part of my destiny."

"All right." he sighed. "I will give you my blessing."

"Hannon le, Ada!" she cried, kissing him on the cheek. "I'll be careful, I swear."

They slept well the rest of that night. The next day, Ilmare spent with her father. He had grown up in Minas Tirith and knew all the best nooks and cranies.

As evening drew on, they parted companies, Ilmare's father to an eating house for his dinner and Ilmare to find the others. She entered the fountain courtyard to find Tirgoth and Galcora already there. "Good evening!" she called as she approached them. "Am I late?"
Caegaraneva
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 20, 2004 12:27
"No," replied Tirgoth with a smile. " I just got here a minute ago, and Galcora right after. Is Paldor coming?" asked Tirgoth, and then he turned back to Ilmare, saying, "Well, in any case, tell us, did you succeed in persuading your father?"

(ooc:after we wrap up this scene, does anyone have anything to do for the next three days? we could just skip them.)

[Edited on 2/21/2004 by Tasar_Took_Nualda]
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2004 05:24
Paldor hadn't slept well. He had tossed and turned into the small hours of the morning, alternately plagued by the excitement of their upcoming adventure, and thoughts of the intriguing Ilmare. Oh, how he hoped the exotic young woman would join them on their quest! It had been so late when he had finally managed to settle down, he had only had a few hours of sleep.

Nevertheless, with the arrival of the next morning, his usual cheerful disposition prevailed and he had a grand time helping Galcora secure many of the vital equipment and supplies for their trip.
"I feel like I'm six years old again!" he told his sister, after sneaking through the house, peering around corners, with various mysterious bundles for the twelfth time, just in case one of their parents should show up unexpectedly. "It almost feels like a game. But this time, it's for real!" The child-like enthusiasm in his golden eyes was irresistible and Galcora couldn't help laughing.

The day flew by, and Galcora left the house to make some final arrangements, while Paldor spent the time caring for the horses, making sure they would be prepared for the journey as well. Finally, after checking the supplies which they had hidden in the very back of the stable under several large bales of hay, Paldor set off eagerly for the fountain in North district. He could hardly contain his anticipation. Would Ilmare be there?

The trip through the city seemed to take an eternity. Paldor found himself annoyed with the slow moving crowds which had delighted him only the day before, and he quickly moved to smaller side streets where he could get away from the crush of people. By the time he arrived at the fountain, he was practically holding his breath. To his great delight, he immediately spied the tall upright figure next to Tirgoth and Galcora. His sister's errand must have taken less time than she had thought for her to have beaten him here, he mused. but his attention was focused on Ilmare. Was she smiling at him? Was she going to join them?
"Hi!" he said, somewhat breathlessly. "Sorry I'm late. The crowds are even worse today with the fair almost over. So, what's the news?" He gazed expectantly at Ilmare, and then, to his eternal embarrassment, broke into an enormous yawn, suddenly overwhelmed by the excitement of the day after only a few hours sleep.

(ooc: I agree, Caegaraneva. No need to go on for the next three days. We can jump start our trip! Btw, sorry if my posts are kind of rambly. I have a hard time writing anything short! Sorry!)

[Edited on 21/2/2004 by GwennethSindalúnë]
Caegaraneva
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2004 06:17
They decided they should start their trip at night, when there were less people about to see them slip into a sewer. During the next three days Tirgoth worked especially hard and was very nice to Calimbor, and the morning of the day they had to leave he told him the news, and pretended he had to visit family in the countryside. He had already told his grandfather the truth, one of the best men Tirgoth had ever known at keeping secrets.

So Calmidor reluctantly agreed to let Tirgoth visit an ailing cousin and support him for an indefinite amount of time while he recovered, something like a few days or a week, he thought. He felt a hard knot of excitement forming in his stomach, and his work was distracted all day. Finally Evening came and they once again congregated, this time in the south district, near the walls where some sewers were open enough to the street that with a little prying and poking one could descend. They had dinner as they waited for the lively daily commerce of Minas Tirith to subside. Finally around midnight they crept into a back alley and opened a grate they had loosened the day before. Descending, their eyes and ears and especially noses were assaulted witha narray of shocking odors, sights and a deadly stillness, broken only occasionally by the steady drip of water.

(ooc: so i skipped way ahead cuz i might not be able to post for a couple of days. If yall have something to insert or say anywhere in there go ahead. THis is kind of a preemptive post so sry.)

[Edited on 21/2/2004 by Beleg_Strongbow]
Elrin
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2004 08:49
(ooc: hey sorry Im posting late again. Gwenneth I can't write anything long, long is good.)

Galcora walked as silently as she could, her senses sharp. She felt her stomach stir uneasily at the sights and smells that met her. She looked at her companions and saw that they had a similar reaction. They walked through the sewer, Galcora trying not to think of the things that she was stepping on. Their breathing seemed loud in the stillness of the sewers. Galcora pulled the cloak she wore closer to her body and hoped that she would be able to breathe fresh air soon.
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2004 09:21
Ilmare covered her mouth to hide a grin...and an answering yawn. "The news is that I am permitted to go," she announced, then flinched. Sometimes she forgot which language she was speaking in and spoke too formally in Common. "Sorry..." a faint blush covered her cheeks, compounded by the fact that Paldor was looking at her in a way that no male had ever looked at her before.

Three days passed quickly between gathering the needed supplies and Ilmare honing her skills with a desperate need to be in top condition.

As they entered the sewer, Ilmare took the rear, her bow in hand. It smelled disgusting, and the sight wasn't much better. She took shallow, quick breaths to try and filter the smell, and it seemed to work well enough.
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2004 01:43
"The news is that I am permitted to go"... The words echoed ceaselessly though Paldor's brain as he trudged through the unpleasant maze of tunnels beneath the city. He couldn't get Ilmare out of his head. That accent, he thought, it's going to be the end of me! A large grin split his face, just thinking about her, but he quickly controlled himself. What would the others think of him, wandering through the terrible stench of the sewers with a mad grin plastered on his face?

Instead, he focused on stepping carefully to avoid the worst of the grime, making sure he didn't brush against any of the walls as he passed. Galcora was walking at the head of the line, with Tirgoth close behind. A little farther behind, came Paldor, and Ilmare bringing up the rear. The tunnels seemed to go on forever, sometimes becoming wide enough for Paldor to walk abreast of Ilmare, but, more frequently, forcing them back into a single file. The voyage through the bowels of the city seemed interminable.

None of them bothered to speak to one another, each occupied with trying to avoid breathing in the fumes which assaulted them as they walked. At one point, the ceiling of the tunnel became progressively lower until they were forced to walk bent over like old people. Galcora better know where she's going, Paldor thought to himself grimly. His sister had been the one to get the blueprints of the city. How she had accomplished this feat, he had no idea. But now, he prayed she had studied them carefully before leading them this deep into the tunnels. What would happen if they got lost in here? Paldor tried to push the unpleasant thoughts out of his mind.

Thankfully, just as the group was beginning to feel that they couldn't walk much farther, bent over as they were forced to be in the restrictive tunnel, a welcome breeze wafted past them, the familiar scent of the night air, indicating that the worst of their journey was coming to an end.

"Thank goodness!" Paldor voiced what everyone was feeling as he finally stepped out of the sewer and onto a remote area of the Pelennor Plains several miles from the city. He lifted his arms, stretching his aching back. "Now, all we have to do, is find the horses. Gally, tell me you didn't tether them too far from here!"

Earlier that day, Galcora had taken advantage of the disorientation and frenzied bustle of the last days of the fair to sneak their four steeds out of the city, fully loaded with everything they would need for the journey. In the crush of visitors flowing freely in and out of Minas Tirith, no one had noticed the unusual sight of Galcora astride her own horse, leading three others behind her. They had all agreed that clattering though the city's cobblestone streets in the middle of the night would draw far too much attention to their clandestine journey. So the plan was to travel through the sewers, bypassing the guards at the outer gates, and pick up their horses after exiting the tunnels, far from the watchful eyes of the tower guards.

(ooc: Glad you don't mind my rambly posts, Elrin. As you can see, I can't be succinct to save my life...lol.)
Caegaraneva
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2004 03:21
As they walked out of the tunnel into a secluded section of the Pelennor Tirgoth took a deep breath, feeling the welcome flood of fresh air cleanse his lungs. He felt like hugging himself for joy that they were out of those wretched sewers. Well, more precisely he felt like hugging Galcora for remembering those maps so well and not missing a single turn, among other reasons... Impulsively, he did just that, walking over to Galcora and wrapping his arms around her lithe form, whispering in her ear "Great job back there." :love:He hugged her close and then couldn't seem to let go for an inordinate amount of time, his head swimming with the sensation of the touch of Galcora's skin. He eventually released her and backed off little, hoping she hadn't been offended by his actions, bold as they were.
Elrin
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2004 06:25
Galcora was very surprised when Tirgoth came up to her and hugged her. "Great job back there." he whispered and Galcora felt herself blush at the praise and the close contact. He let go after a while and stepped back. Galcora smiled at him still blushing. "Ummm...thank you" she said.
She looked at her brother and saw that he was talking to Ilmare. "Do not worry Paldor the horses are not far." she replied to his earlier question. Glancing at Tirgoth with a small smile she turned and led them to where she had left the horses. "Come we must hurry as it is almost dawn." she told them mounting her horse.
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email