Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
Post Post Ranks & Numbers [Please Read]
on: September 21, 2002 07:46
You're all probably wondering what in heck happened to the post ranks (Shire Farmer, Bree Citizen, etc) and the number of posts under your name. This is not going to be very happy news for some of you, I know, but the admins and mods have made the decision to do away with them. Here are the reasons why:

1) The largest reason why is because some people have been posting very short or pointless posts in the hope of increasing their post count. This is damaging to the forum and the site, because it weakens discussion, and quite frankly, is very annoying. And it makes a lot more work for us admins/mods, because we're constantly having to delete these pointless posts.

2) The whole ranking system was becoming too competitive. People were trying too hard to get to the next level, and then posting about their "accomplishment" in the Prancing Pony. Such ranks are supposed to be fun, and a way of indicating one's commitment and time spent on the site. But when people are making it into a competition, or posting pointless posts just to up their rank...well, that just makes the entire situation annoying for a whole lot of people.

3) The ranking system based on posts was sort of iffy anyway, because everytime we "pruned" a forum (i.e. removing old or pointless threads) everybody's post counts dropped anyway.

In addition, we are instituting a new policy:

- The handful of people who have already reached the 1000 mark point will keep their unique rank title. It's not fair to take away their custom title, because they did earn it under the old rules.

- Those of you who assist the site in some manner, be it as an admin, mod, volunteer, or some sort of helper, can have modified titles to indicate the fact that you are assisting the site. If you feel that you are deserving of such a title change, you may ask M or I, but there is no guaranteeing that we will institute such a change for you. Only people who are truly helpful and have contributed to the site will warrant such an honor. It is to your advantage to find ways to assist the site (I suggest you read the Help the CoE thread, or start thinking of things you could contribute), if you really, really want to have a different rank

I know some of you are going to be unhappy about this, but the mods and admins really feel that this is the best decision to help promote harmony on the site, and to help make this place continue to have interesting and thoughtful discussions.
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post RE: Post Ranks & Numbers [Please Read]
on: September 21, 2002 10:03
sad, but understandable....
Earwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2002 12:25
Great idea, Rivka! I can understand your reasons very well. After all, I was still a Bree citizen after 5 months! (the dial-up internet connection still quite expensive over here! )
whittyb
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2002 12:30
I spent heaps long posting everyday *sob* but I like the new system!
Tanlaithwen
Orange Juice Fanatic
Send Message
on: September 22, 2002 01:15
I think I must have contributed to this downfall by posting in the Prancing Pony that I got to 50 posts etc. I would just like to apologise - I was just so happy that I wanted to tell people. It wasn't meant to just boost my post level, please believe me.
It's a very understandable change, and a good one. I apologise again.
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: September 22, 2002 02:52
ah well- it wont take the fun out of posting. i will still enjoy discussing lord of the rings and other things, weather i am a fellowsihp member or just a plain old hobbit.

Yuna
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2002 04:44

tis a shame it had to change, i was quite found of my bree citizen title :cry:
but i suppose if people were just posting to get there numbers up, its for the best.
SilverDeath
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2002 05:00
:cry: Ack! I am sorry. I think I contributed to the problem too. *Sniffle* I guess this will help the people who don't have exhorbanent amounts of time to come to CoE to post. I praise the new system!
LegolasIzHot
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2002 05:18
Dissapointing, But definetaly understandable. I saw alot of *pointless* posts. But i think i may have had a few as well. lol
Airetasarë
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2002 05:26
Yes Very Dissapointing cause at one point I wanted to pick my own special rank, and I probaly did have a few Pointless Posts and I'm sorry for that, but at least we still have our ranks
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
on: September 22, 2002 06:42
We all probably had a few pointless posts...but i think being a Council Member is better than being a Bree Citizen anyway!
Pippin12
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2002 06:43
ok i have a tiny little question...does this mean that we won't have the number of posts that we have under our names?

~Pippin~
Untidy
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2002 06:43
Am sad because I never took the opportunity to 'show off' (There were three stars! I swear!!!) !!!

Lol, I was just kidding!

I actually was NOT very fond of the ranking system. I mean, it *was* fun, but I feel it is to tempting to post useless things.

Greetings!
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: September 22, 2002 07:31
I never posted pointless posts
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: September 22, 2002 12:18
I have to say I'm glad it's gone. I would hate to see folks who simply can't get on very often or have to pay for their internet service on an hourly basis feel that they are falling behind or are not as important as members who are able and willing to post a great deal. We want all members to feel that they are on an equal footing regardless of the number of posts that they create. Plus now I won't feel so bad cleaning out some of the older threads that aren't being used to keep the site running at a good speed, because I'm not killing anyone's count.
Willowberry_Firnsarnwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2002 12:21
Eeck! I had just gotten to be a Fellowship Member too *sigh*

Ah well..Tis true that it was becoming competitive, and some people were (as said) making short,silly little posts to up their rank, and I agree with your decision, though it still would have been fun to have the ranks

~Willowberry~
MystikMuseJen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2002 04:27
Alas....I liked the ranking system...but I do see how it made for competition.
I'm guilty of a pointless post. But I was honestly proud to be a "Bree Citizen" and then a "Council Member"...very to me. But hey...if it makes everyone feel like an equal, Im all for it...at least now I don't have to leave the "council" and I can cozy up to Elrond...His wife is kinda nutty anyways...how could she leave that handsome 1/2-Elven thing? *L* jk...

Council Memba' 4 Lyf!
:heart:jen:love:
yellow_sundragon
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 23, 2002 04:39
aww.... I really liked the ranking thing, it was kinda fun, and it told you who was new.... alright, if we must do away with the ranks, can we at least have the number of posts under the persons name back? I liked that.... I liked to look.... please.....

*Sundragon is dragged off saying "please" by two mean looking body gaurds dressed in all black with white "CoE"'s written on they're chests and throwen back into the RP forum.....*
M
Queen of Orc Killers
Send Message
on: September 23, 2002 05:39
You can still see how many posts a person has by clicking on their name in the forum which will take you to their forum profile and give you their post count
Trignifty
Ruler and Court Jester of Planet Awesome
Send Message
on: September 23, 2002 05:59
Oh I don't know...I don't know if a ranking system was ever that big a deal for me. Actually if anything, I think it depressed me for a long time, as within a two weeks I had something like...200 posts An attribute to how much free time I had...*sigh*

Anyhow, I'm sorry such a decision had to be made in the first place, but it doesn't take away from the overall point of the forums, which is to be able to post, of course.
eldir
Mirkwood Enigma
Send Message
on: September 23, 2002 06:32
I think I had a few pointless posts too...sorry!:cry:
whittyb
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 23, 2002 06:36
I have to say in the RPG board I was making to short messages.
Sorry
:blush:
elvish_angel015
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 24, 2002 02:59
regretful but understandable. i was looking forward to being a bree citizen but this is much better more fun this way
Parmadur
The Happy Pariah
Send Message
on: September 24, 2002 09:27
*taps fingers together knowingly and nods*

Very wise, very wise.
Heh, I don't remember which rank I had, but I can honestly say that I'm glad it's gone.

I felt an urge to get competitive with the posting (it's my nature), but I tried my best to resist. It'll be much easier now that everyone is equal.

Hooray!

[Edited on 24/9/2002 by Parmadur]
JC
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 24, 2002 10:54
Well If every moderator and Rivka thought it was hte best, it certanly was. Although I'm going to miss them, for I really liked to see that I was a Bree citizen or a Fellowship member. But I think that is okay, before there could have been fights or something even worse!:cry::angry:
Gandalf666
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 05, 2002 01:00
hum.....i didn´t even notice that rank system stuff.....(absent- minded or dumb? :blush: )
JC
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 08, 2002 10:30
You were neither absent, mided ort dump you were not here Gandalf, you see we used to have randks, like if you made one post you were officially a Shire Farmer, if you made 50 you were a Bree Citizen I you made 150 you were a council collaborator, if you made 250 you were a Fellowship member, and if you made 500 I think you were a ringbearer and then you got to pick your own rank like I would have picked: Rebel Rider of Rohan
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: October 08, 2002 12:48
BTW... anyone who registered after Sept. 21 would not have known about the ranking system (the date of Rivka's post at the head of this topic)... at that time the system met its demise due to apparent misuse and there has yet to be another system put into place.
dark_elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 09, 2002 07:19
AwwwMe sad,I liked the old system Oh well guess for the best

Hey Rivka?

*Looks at her for a while*
Well, I'm gonna see how many posts I have
I miss that lil post counter,I'd of liked to see how many posts I had without having to look at my profile

Oh well

*Cries for no reason exept for he hates saying the word bye in such the way*

Bye old system

<:'-D

Helllo new system
Plus...Don't effect the joy of seeing replies to your post

[Edited on 10/10/2002 by dark_elf]
KeeperofVilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 09, 2002 07:22
I understand... I think it is a good idea. It won't change the fun of posting in the forums
Lisa_Legolas
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2002 09:42
THANK THE GODS!
I go to another fourm that offers ranks (I'm currently a Wight) And there is so much dung going on about people posting pointless posts and even repling with jut a " . " 3 to 7 times in a row.
I personally realy dont care about that kinda stuff, as long as the fourm is good
Good idea, killing the weed at the root of the proublum
Carancoe
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2002 09:14
Ya know, why don't you alter the current system?

Please, just hear me out:

Why not give people a slightly customizable avatar once they hit 25 points?

Like this:

Carancoe

CoE volunteer & (just a few characters here)

I'm not at the volunteer level yet, but I did get one fifth of the way helping out at LHH!
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
on: November 17, 2002 01:08
You can get your own unique rank once you hit 100 points.
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
Scothia
CoE Elder Sister
Send Message
on: November 17, 2002 04:58
... I would have picked: Rebel Rider of Rohan

JC, as Rivka keeps saying, help the site and earn 100 points, and you'll be able to call yourself that.
~Witch_Queen_of_Angmar~
Queen of the Dark Nine
Send Message
on: November 17, 2002 05:14
So if I have understood things right, once u hit 25, u get "Volunteer" under ur name?

I've allready got a goodie formyself when (if) I hit 100.. "CoE Ghost"
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email