Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Telemnar
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Lord of the Rings *Please read! Slightly scripted. PM to join!*
on: June 29, 2004 05:43
He walked in quickly, nearly missing the ring laying on the floor. He picked it up curiously, before hurrying over to Gandalf. A thoughtful frown was on his face.
"He's gone hasn't he?" he asked quietly, There was no way Bilbo would leave his precious ring, no way, unless he left all together.

Gandalf slowly put aside his pipe and looked at the Ring in Frodo’s hand. It seemed so harmless now, glimmering in the soft firelight. But the wizard’s mind was firmly made up; he knew what must be done. “Bilbo’s Ring.” he said quietly, turning his attention back to Frodo. “He’s gone to stay with the Elves.” he added quickly, realizing that the reason Frodo had come him in the first place was because the Hobbit was worried about his uncle. Gandalf continued in as cheerful a tone as he could muster, “He’s left you Bag End, along with all his possessions.” He handed Frodo Bilbo’s will. The document was sealed and signed by twelve witnesses in red ink, in accordance with the laws of the Shire. But there were greater things on Gandalf’s mind, “The Ring is yours now.” he told his friend, and held out an envelope. Frodo paused for a second, and then placed the Ring inside. The wizard lit a candle, dripped a pool of wax onto the envelope’s flap, and sealed it with the Baggins family seal. He handed it back to Frodo, and said quietly but strongly, “Keep it somewhere out of sight!” With that, he got up and walked into the entryway, grabbing his hat and pipe.

“Where are you going?” Frodo cried out, surprised at Gandalf’s actions.

“I have some things that I must see to.” his friend replied quickly. He thought about telling the Hobbit about his suspicions, but dismissed the idea. It would be best to say nothing to anyone until his fears could either be confirmed or denied.

“What things?” Frodo pressed.

“Questions.” Gandalf replied, “Questions that need answering.” he took up his staff and opened the door.

“But you’ve only just arrived!” the Hobbit protested, “I don’t understand.”

Gandalf stopped short. Frodo was right, he deserved to know something of what was going on. But the wizard wasn’t sure about anything himself, except that he felt compelled to investigate the Ring until he found answers. “Neither do I.” he said thoughtfully, then leaned close to Frodo and put his hand on the Hobbit’s shoulder. “Keep it secret.” he whispered, “Keep it safe.” Frodo knew that he could only be talking about the Ring. Gandalf swept out the doorway, then paused and turned back, “Frodo.” he said quietly, “Never use it!” Then he was gone down the path, his grey cloak blending into the night.
Telemnar
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2004 09:16
Hoof beats pounded along the wide road that ran on the eastern edge of the White Mountains, as Gandalf urged his horse to the faster pace. He had been traveling with all possible speed for several weeks now, knowing that the fate of many could depend on what he found in the White City. Suddenly the wizard drew rein and came to a stop as he heard a rumble in the East. Looking out in that direction, he had a clear view across the whole vale of the Anduin, even to the Mountains of Shadow that guarded Mordor. Another rumble, like dreadful, far off thunder sounded, and thin streaks of pale lightning swept through the black clouds that hung over the Dark Land. Now jagged red streaks flashed downward, and the glow from Mount Doom rose to meet them. The Enemy was not idle. Gandalf urged his tired horse onward, and rounding a sharp bend in the mountain road, caught sight of Minas Tirith. The White City gleamed on the mountainside, as grey clouds opened above it to send streams of sunlight flooding down. Tall, beautiful, and strong, Minas Tirith had stood through an age as a bastion against Mordor. “Gondor still stands.” the wizard muttered, and found comfort in those words.

An hour later, Gandalf was inside the Tower of Ecthelion, and feeling a lot less comfort than before. Lord Denethor sat in the Steward’s Seat, glaring at the wizard as he spoke, “Very well, Mithrandir, I give you permission to search all of the archives of the city, even those of tower. But if you only seek information concerning Isildur and the early days of the Southern Kingdom, as you claim, then it would be better to ask me, for I an more learned than any other in the lore and history of Gondor. Search if you will, but you will find nothing that I do not know, unless you think that you can look harder and deeper than Saruman, for even he found nothing that I could not tell him.”

So Saruman has been here. Gandalf though as he entered the narrow passageway that led to the records chamber beneath the Tower of Ecthelion, Perhaps I am close to the source of his great Ring-lore. And he wondered, not for the first time, why the White Wizard never revealed where he got his information concerning the Rings of Power. A long search through dusty books and scrolls followed in the dim halls beneath the tower, as Gandalf looked fruitlessly through the ancient parchments from the early days of Gondor, more than three thousand years old. He worked through the day, and well into the night before he retired for a few hours rest. But the wizard was up again before the dawn, searching, ever searching. It was drawing toward evening again before Gandalf’s persistence was finally rewarded, as he took up a small scroll that was thrust into a corner, and gasped in surprise as he unrolled it to reveal the seal of Isildur. Carefully blowing off a layer of dust, the Grey Wizard read:

Year 3434 of the Second Age,
Here follows the account of Isildur, of the finding of the Ring of Power:

What came after was a short account of the history of the Last Alliance, and how they brought the Dark Lord to bay on the very slopes of Mount Doom, and how the greatest of Elves and Men fell before him, but Isildur cut the Ring from Sauron’s hand, and so defeated him. Gandalf skimmed through it until he caught the words:

How did this come to me, the One Ring? It should be an heirloom of my kingdom and all that follow in my bloodline shall be bound in it‘s fate, for I shall risk no other hand to the Ring. It is precious to me, though I buy it with great pain. The markings upon the band begin to fade. The writing the was once as clear as red flame has all but vanished, a secret now that only fire can tell. Below was written in the Elvish script:

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Gandalf silently translated the Black Speech that was written, and leapt to his feet. Carefully replacing the scroll, which he guessed that none but him and perhaps Saruman had read, the wizard left the dim records chamber. Outside, the sun was just beginning to set, but rest was not on Gandalf’s mind. Walking down to the Sixth Level of the city, he entered the stables. Coming to his horse, the Grey Wizard spoke softly in the animal’s ear, “Come my friend. I hope you are better rested than I am, for we have a long road ahead of us, and time is growing short.” Mounting up, Gandalf rode quickly through the streets of Minas Tirith. Once he was outside the White City, he urged his faithful mount to a fast gallop, and turned his face back toward the far distant Shire, hundreds of leagues away.
StarOfTheDunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 22, 2004 06:49
This is StarOfTheDunedain posting to put this thread on page one.
StarOfTheDunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2004 01:37
This is StarOfTheDunedain posting *again* to keep this thread on page one.
SylvanElf2931
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2004 10:46
After a night at the Green Dragon, Frodo and Sam walked home together. As they reached Bag End, Frodo walked up the path and said, "Good night, Sam." Sam replied, "Good night, Mr. Frodo." and continued walking down the path. As Frodo opened the front door, he noticed one of the windows was open, and was blowing papers all over the place. He looked around and did not see anything else out of place. He sighed in relief, when a hand grabbed his shoulder from the shadows and turned him to face them. It was Gandalf, and he said in a hurried voice, "Is it secret?? Is it safe??"
Telemnar
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2004 01:42
Is it secret? Is it safe?

Gandalf held his breath for a second, almost fearing that Frodo would admit that someone else might have discovered the secret of the Ring. The wizard felt slightly relived when Fordo nodded slightly, affirming that the Ring still remained hidden. Gandalf didn‘t waste any words, “Bring it out then.” he said, “Quickly!” The Hobbit looked worried, and more than a bit confused as he unlocked a large wooden chest in the corner of his study. Gandalf was even more anxious; he knew what was at stake. As Frodo fumbled with his keys and dug through the chest, the old wizard listened carefully for the slightest noise and gripped his staff tightly, fearing that perhaps some servants of the Enemy might have been following him to Bag End. A wooden staff seemed a poor weapon against the dreaded minions of Sauron, but in the hands of a wizard such possessions could be wielded with great power.

“Here!” Frodo breathed as he pulled out a sealed envelope and held it up. Instantly Gandalf snatched it from his hand and just as quickly threw it on the fire that was burning in a small fireplace. “What are you doing?” the Hobbit cried as he saw the flames lick up around the paper. Gandalf did not answer; his mind was wholly on the task that was at hand. As the thin envelope blackened and curled away, it revealed the Ring. The smooth golden band still looked just the same, although the wizard felt that there was something different about it; something that seemed both elusive and strangely menacing. He took a pair on iron tongs and reached into the fire, firmly grabbing the Ring.

“Hold out your hand.” Gandalf said quietly as he drew out the tongs, not trusting himself to touch the Ring. “It’s quite cool.” he reassured Frodo. Gandalf knew a great deal of ring-lore, and thus understood that any ring of power must be heated to a great temperature to become hot to the touch. He dropped the Ring into Frodo’s outstretched hand and asked with a note of urgency in his voice, “What do you see? Do you see anything?”

“Nothing.” The Hobbit replied, seemingly a bit confused by his friend’s strange behaviour, “There’s nothing.” Gandalf breathed a sigh of relief. All the clues he gathered over so many years had led to here, but did this now mean that the One Ring still remained hidden?. “Wait.” Frodo said suddenly, “There are markings. It’s some form of Elvish; I can’t read it.”

Gandalf turned slowly and looked at the fiery letters, although he already knew in his heart what was written. “There are few who can.” he said in a grave voice, “The language is that of Mordor, which I will not utter here. In the common tongue it says:”

“One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them. One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them!”
SylvanElf2931
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 14, 2004 01:39
"One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them!"
[align=left]"This is the One Ring. Forged by the Dark Lord Sauron, in the fires of Mount Doom, taken by Isildur from the hand of Sauron himself." Gandalf explained.
"Bilbo found it, in Gollum's cave." Frodo whispered quietly, almost as if to himself.
"The Ring lay quiet in Bilbo's keeping for sixty years. But no longer, Frodo. The Ring has awoken. It's heard it's master's call." Gandalf continued.
"But he was destroyed. Sauron was destroyed." Frodo said decisively.
"No, Frodo. The spirit of Sauron endured. His life force is bound to the Ring, and the Ring survived. His orcs are multipled, his fortress of Barad Dur rebuilt in the land of Mordor. Sauron has awoken. He is seeking it, all his thought is bent on it. They are one.The Ring and the Dark Lord."Gandalf replied to Frodo's question.[/align][align=left]
Frodo jumped up and grabbed the Ring, and walked to the other room saying, "Alright. We'll put it away. We'll keep it hidden. No one knows it's here do they? Do they, Gandalf?"
Gandalf walked into the room and replied, "I looked everywhere for the creature, Gollum. But I fear the servants of the enemy got to him first. He is the only one who knew Bilbo had the Ring."
Frodo closed his hand about the Ring and asked, "What must I do?"[/align][align=left]
"You must leave. And leave quickly. Make for the village of Bree, to the Inn of the Prancing Pony." Gandalf replied as he helped Frodo pack quickly. Once he had packed everything and placed the Ring in his pocket, Frodo asked, "The Ring will be safe there?"
"I don't have any answers yet, Frodo. I must see the head of my order. He is both wise and powerful. Trust me, Frodo. He will know what to do." Gandalf replied.[/align][align=left]
He helped Frodo put his pack on his back, and handed him his walking staff.
With a smile, Gandalf said, "Hobbits really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about them in a month, and, yet after a hundred years, they can still surprise you." Frodo smiled back, but they suddenly heard a rustle in the bushes outside the open window. "Get down." Gandalf whispered. Frodo dropped to the floor, and Gandalf walked cautiously to the window, staff raised....[/align][align=left]((I hope that was okay. Sorry I used Gandalf so much. I wanted to go ahead and do the entire scene.))[/align]

[Edited on 10/14/2004 by SylvanElf2931]
Vaneldwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2004 09:08
Sam Parted with Frodo when they reached bag end and continued on his way home. As he was walking he saw one of Frodo's windows open and he heard raised voices from inside. Curious he crept to the window and listened. Inside he could hear Frodo talking to Gandalf about a ring and a dark lord. [i"Hmm,[/i] Sam thought to himself, "I wonder what all that has to do with Mr. Frodo..." Listening some more he learned that Frodo must have this cursed ring. He was horrified when he heard Gandalf declare that Frodo had to leave the Shire. He was so surprised he let out a gasp and the talking inside stopped.

With out warning Gandalf's wooden staff came and hit him on the head, followed by Gandalf's arm picking him up and pulling him through the window and threw him on a table.

"Confound it all, Samwise Gamgee, have you been eavesdropping?!" Gandalf asked angrily.

"I haven't been dropping no eaves, sir, honest!" Sam said desperately, "I was just cutting the grass there under the window, if you follow me."

"A little late for trimming the verge, don't you think?" Gandalf asked suspiciously. What have you heard and why did you listen? Gandalf asked his eyes flashing beneath his bristling eyebrows. "Speak!"

"N-n-nothing important," Sam said stuttering with fear. "That is, I h-heard a deal that I didn't rightly understand, about an enemy, and a ring, and something about the end of the world. Please, sir," Sam continued, quaking, " don't turn me into anything un-unnatural!"
~Stella~
Elemmírë of Varda and Merry\'s Illustrated Supper
Send Message
on: October 18, 2004 12:23
OOC: I will post when I see I need to. OK?
Telemnar
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2004 08:40
“Please sir,” Sam begged, “Don’t turn me into anything unnatural.” Gandalf glanced over at Frodo, who looked like he could hardly keep himself from laughing. A smile crossed the wizard’s lips as well when he looked back to the terrified Hobbit he was still holding.

“No,” he said solemnly, “Perhaps not; I’ve thought of a better use for you. Something that will punish you properly for listening!” Sam suddenly stiffened and started to quake even more, presumably frightened about the fearsome punishment that Gandalf was cooking up. “You shall go away with Frodo!” the wizard cried. For a moment the frightened Hobbit looked too surprised to speak, and Gandalf knew that this wasn’t Sam’s idea of a punishment.

“Me? Mr. Gandalf sir?” he said at last, “Me go with Mr. Frodo and see the Elves and all!”

Dawn was just barely beginning to tint the dark sky and the sun had yet to peep over the green, misty hills of the Shire as the darkened shapes of two Hobbits and an old wizard walked swiftly and quietly out the back door of Bag End. Gandalf only stopped long enough to untie his horse and continued on foot, leading the animal. It was the wizard who had insisted on such an early start in the morning. As he could not even guess at the plans of the Enemy, he decided to choose caution and get the Ring out of the Shire with all possible haste. Frodo too had a sense of urgency about him, and kept close to the Grey Wizard. Sam lagged some distance behind his swiftly walking friends. Gandalf led the Hobbits on an overgrown country path that all three companions knew well. Screened by an unkempt hedgerow on one side, and a line of trees on the other, it was the best way to get out of Hobbiton unseen. The trail was twisted and winding, but after crossing the Water on a narrow plank bridge it ran steadily uphill, away from Hobbiton and Bywater. At the top of the rise Frodo turned and waved a last farewell. “I wonder if I shall ever look down into that valley again.” he murmured, before following Gandalf along the path.

“Come along Samwise. Keep up!” the wizard exclaimed impatiently as Sam dropped behind again. They were entering a small, sparse wood that Gandalf had selected as the point where he must leave his friends. “Be careful, both of you.” he admonished, “The Enemy has many spies in his service; birds, beasts.” Then he turned and knelt down so that he could look Frodo in the eye. “Is it safe?” The Hobbit touched his pocket, where the Ring lay. What is best to say to him? the wizard thought, On this one Hobbit hangs the fate of all Middle-Earth. He cannot quite realize what the Enemy is capable of, and what His terrible servants can do. I hope I am not thrusting him into unnecessary danger by leaving him alone. Then he glanced over at Sam, who stood resolutely beside his friend. No, he‘s not alone. The sun was showing its first ray over the tops of the low hills, and Gandalf knew that he must leave. “Never put it on.” he told Frodo in parting. “Always remember Frodo, the Ring is trying to get back to its master. It wants to be found.” And with that the old wizard mounted swiftly and rode away.
Gandalf rode a short distance, until he was out of sight of the Hobbits, then turned and galloped around them in a wide circle. He did this in hopes of surprising anything that might be following them. Having seen nothing, he turned again and made a straight line for the great road that ran west out of the Shire.
~Stella~
Send Message
on: October 20, 2004 01:47
When Merry had heard Gandalf galloping towards him, he hunkard down as low as he could. Merry was dressed in the colors of Autemn, so it was harder to see him. That was exactly what he wished, to tay hidden. Merry had been following Gandalf, Sam, and Frodo.

He shifted slightly. Merry tripped. "Oaff!!" he exclaimed
SylvanElf2931
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2004 02:33
After Gandalf left, Frodo and Sam started on their way. Soon, they heard someone exclaim, "Oaff!!" Frodo looked to Sam and asked, "Didi you hear that?" Sam nodded, and they walked towards where the sound came from. Frodo peered around some bushes, when he saw Merry. "Merry! What are you doing here?" Frodo asked.
Telemnar
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 21, 2004 08:15
After coming to the main road, Gandalf rode swiftly west, crossing out of The Shire by way of the Brandywine bridge. From The Shire to Bree, the west road ran straight and broad, as it had been built by the old kingdom of Arnor. Great and ancient trees lined the wide gravel way, still growing tall and strong despite their age. Thick, lush grass grew in their shade, such as horses loved to graze in the summer. But Gandalf had no time for any of this. Urging his mount on to a faster pace the Grey Wizard rode on, hoping to reach Bree and turn south before nightfall. Normally, Breeland was considered a full day’s journey from The Shire, but Gandalf planned to press on past, and camp beside the Greenway after darkness fell. On the bank of the road ahead, a lone traveller stood while his horse grazed beside him. Such a thing was not unusual on the West Road, and Gandalf paid little attention. But when he drew nearer the other traveller raised his head and cried out, “Gandalf the Grey!”

The wizard reigned his horse hard, “Radagast!” he hailed as he dismounted, “Radagast the Brown.” Gandalf was glad indeed to see this member of his order after so many years, and was about to ask for whatever aid that could be provided when the other wizard began to speak.

“I have been seeking you.” Radagast said quickly, “But I am, as you well know, a stranger in these parts. All I knew is that you might be found in a wild region with the uncouth name of Shire.”

“Your information is correct my friend.” Gandalf replied, wondering what Radagast’s mission to him could be, “But do not call it wild and uncouth if you meet any of the inhabitants. You are not far from the borders of The Shire now. And what do you want from me?” he bluntly asked, “It must be pressing, for you were never a traveller, unless driven by a great need.”

“I do indeed have an urgent errand.” the other replied hastily, “And the news is evil.” The Brown Wizard looked about quickly, as if he was afraid that the hedgerows had ears. “The Enemy is moving again!” he spoke, hardly above a whisper, “His spies have crossed the Greyflood into the North, and it is said that they ever seek word of the land called Shire.”

The Shire.” Gandalf corrected, but his heart sank, and he was filled with fear for Frodo’s safety. “Who told you this, and who sent you?” he asked swiftly, knowing that Radagast, who lived near Mirkwood, had to have gotten his information from someone who had knowledge of events west of the mountains.

“Saruman the White.” the other wizard replied, “And he asks that you go with all speed to Isengard and seek his aid, before it is too late.” These words brought hope to Gandalf, for Saruman had long studied into the arts of the Enemy, and so had often been able to block Sauron. It was with Saruman’s devices that he had been driven from Dol Guldur. Now perhaps the White Wizard had uncovered an art that would stall the forces of Mordor.

“I was on my way to Isengard even now.” Gandalf replied. Radagast, obviously relived that his errand was over, mounted and rode swiftly off. Gandalf redoubled his efforts and made all possible speed. If Saruman was to repel the Enemy effectively, he needed to know that the One Ring had been found.
~Stella~
Send Message
on: October 22, 2004 04:03
Merry quickly jumped up. He brushed himself off. "I am following you two." he said, "You have been acting oddly lately Frodo. I had to know what is going on! Then I heard you were leaving...."

He looked at the two of them. "Well, aren't you going to tell me or will I have to go with you? Actually, I will still be coming with you."

He nodded his head and waited for an answer.
striders_star
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 23, 2004 06:40
Pippin jumped up beside Merry. He had been follwing Frodo and Sam with Merry. "And I will be coming too, Frodo, but I should like to know what's going on."
SylvanElf2931
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 25, 2004 12:06
Frodo bit his lip as he tried to figure out a way to explain everything as quickly as possible.
He then replied, "I can't explain everything right now, but Sam and I must leave as quickly as possible."
While saying this, he looked around, hoping no one was watching them.
~Stella~
Send Message
on: October 26, 2004 08:56
Merry stood there tapping his foot. He was thinking. A frown came onto his face as he thought harder. Slowly a smile came to his face. "Bucklebury Feary." he whispered, "Come on!!"

He started to run and run quicker when he hears galloping horses. "COme on!!" Merry yelled, "Quickly!!"

OOC: is that the proper spelling of that
StarOfTheDunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2004 02:09
Hey all!

Just a qucik note - remember we're doing Tom B and the Barrow Downs! Also, we still need a Tom, so if you want him,come and claim him!

Star

SylvanElf2931
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 27, 2004 11:49
Frodo also heard the horses nearby. He ran after Merry, with Sam and Pippin not far behind. He hoped they would make it to the ferry before whoever was on the horses. Hearing them getting closer sent a chill down his spine, and he ran even faster.
~Stella~
Send Message
on: October 28, 2004 02:49
Merry gulped. He was terrified and was sure it showed. the hobbit felt a strange coldness come over his body and he tripped. Merry landed on his stomach, knocking the wind out of him.

Merry just lay there for a moment, out of breath and dazed, but when the strange creatures came closer, he scampered up and ran with all of his might.
~Stella~
Send Message
on: October 31, 2004 08:44
OOC: I am sorry. i cannot stay. I have no time. Sorry again. Bye-bye.
striders_star
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2004 09:59
{{OOC: Wait...are you saying you have no time to be in this rp anymore? Aww, bye!}}

Pippin ran as fast as he could toward the direction of the ferry.
He, Sam, and Merry reached the ferry before Frodo did, and started pushing off. "Run Frodo!" Pippin yelled. "Come on!" His friend was just barely out of reach of the dark riders.
SylvanElf2931
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2004 10:45
Frodo ran faster as the riders drew even closer behind him. He raced across the dock and jumped when he reached the edge, landing with a thud right next to Sam. The rider on the dock stopped quickly with a screech, and turned and followed the other riders who raced past.
"How far to the nearest crossing?" Frodo asked, trying to catch his breath. "Brandywine Bridge. Twenty miles." Merry replied. Sam then helped Frodo up, and they looked around quickly.

{{Bye happy_dawg...}}
Vaneldwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 01, 2004 07:43
"Are you all right, Mr. Frodo?" Sam asked as he helped him up. Frodo nodded his head and looked back at the river bank. A black rider was watching as they floated to the other bank. In the distance the sound of hooves and their high peiriced screams could be heard.

"What are they?" Sam asked as a cold chill went up his spine.
StarOfTheDunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 01, 2004 12:10
OOC - Hi all!

Bye, Happy Dawg...

Please check out my post in the OOC thread before posting again. Also, I know Strider wanted to play Gildor, he would fit in nicely right here if Strider still wants him in.

[Edited on 1/11/2004 by StarOfTheDunedain]
striders_star
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 02, 2004 03:24
{{Ooc: Shall I post him now? Almost all of thiss was writtin by Tolkien, or paraphrased from it:}}

Gildor and his company traveled towards the hobbits, though they did not know the hobbits were there. They were full of laughter and song. Their song was in the elven-toungue, but Frodo understood the song to be saying

"Snow-white! Snow-white! O Lady clear!
O Queen beyond the Wesertn Seas!
O Light to us that wander here
Amid the world of woven trees!

Gilthoniel! O Elbereth!
Clear are thy eyes and bright thy breath.
Snow-white! Snow-white! We sing to thee.
In a far land beyond the Sea.

O stars that in the Sunless Year
With shining hand by her were sown,
In windy fields now bright and clear
We see your silver blossom blown!

O Elbereth! Gilthoniel!
We still remember, we who dwell
In this far land bneath the trees,
Thy starlight on the Western Seas."

They ended their song and they passed by the hobbits. Gildor was the last to pass, and he noticed Frodo and called to him. "Hail, Frodo! You are abroad late. Or are you perhaps lost?" Then he called to the rest of the company and they halted.
"This is indeed wonderfull!" they said. "Three hobbits in a wood at night. We have not seen such a thing since Bilbo went away. What is the meaning of it?"
SylvanElf2931
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 09, 2004 12:09
"The meaning of it is simply that we seem to be going the same way as you are. I like walking under the stars." Frodo replied simply. "Who are you, and who is your lord?"
striders_star
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 13, 2004 06:43
"And how do you know that we go the same way as for you do not know wither we are going?" the elves asked.

Gildor stepped forward. "I am their lord, Gildor Inglorion of the House of Finrod. We are Exiles, and most of our kindred have long ago departed, and we too are tarrying here a while before we depart over the Great Sea. But some of our kinsfolk dwell still in peace in Rivendell. Come now, Frodo, tell us what you are doing? For there seems to be some shadow of fear upon you."

{{ooc: do I answer as Pippin? Are we going exactly like the book? Pippin doesn't have to say his lines, someone else can.....And you can use Gildor too, since there's a lot of short lines...}}
Telemnar
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2004 07:44
The green plains of northern Rohan raced beneath the hooves of Gandalf’s horse, and close on his left marched the southernmost ranks of the Misty Mountains. Galloping closer to the pine-clad foothills now, he urged his tiring horse to maintain its pace, as the journey was almost over. His path now cut into the first low green hills and through the sparse evergreens that dotted them. Mounting one of the higher crests he saw a thin black spire standing tall and dark beyond the next rise. The tower of Orthanc at last. Gandalf did not even slow down now, as every minute saved could well make all the difference in whatever came next. To the north Fangorn Forest was now visible, blanketing the lower slopes of the last mountains. And coming over another foothill he saw the Ring of Isengard before him, a grey circle of rock wall that enclosed a tree-filled plain. In the centre rose the mighty tower called Orthanc, the Tower of Wizardry. The ancient black fortress had been built three thousand years ago, in the early days of Gondor, when it still mirrored the glory of Numenor. Now Saruman the White resided there, and this was welcomed by Gondor, for it had long been impossible for the weakened kingdom to garrison Isengard.

As Gandalf neared the outer wall, he noted with some surprise that there were men guarded the open gates. He wondered somewhat at this, for in the past the fear of Saruman had always been enough to keep all evil creatures away. But the situation was changing very rapidly, he knew, and maybe now there was a need for these guards. They obviously had orders to let the Grey Wizard pass without question, for they stood far to the sides of the open gates, and held their weapons in salute. Yet it seemed to Gandalf as he galloped passed that they looked strangely like the men of Dunland, a culture much inclined to evil. But Gandalf knew that he had to be mistaken; Saruman would never have wicked creatures of any kind in his service. As Gandalf rode up the straight path that led to the dark fortress he saw a lordly figure in flowing white robes slowly descending the massive stone steps that led to Orthanc’s single door. Saruman the White, head of the Order of the Istari and counted as great among the Wise, was expecting him. “Smoke rises from the Mountain of Doom” the White Wizard’s voice echoed from the steps of his great tower, “The hour grows late, and Gandalf the Grey rides to Isengard, seeking my council.” He reached the bottom of the stairs and extended his hand in friendly greeting, “For that is why you have come, is it not? My old friend.”

Gandalf removed his hat out of respect and replied simply, “Saruman.” Then, almost as an afterthought, he added, “I received the message you sent by Radagast the Brown.”

“Radagast the Brown?” Saruman sneered. “Radagast the Simple! Radagast the Fool! Radagast the Bird-tamer!” he ended with a mocking laugh. “Yet he had just the wit to play the part I set him, though he knew not why.” Then the White Wizard caught Gandalf’s sharply suspicious glance and instantly changed his tone to soft and smooth, “You must forgive my outburst.” he said, “For even I will on occasion grow somewhat impatient with a few of our weak and misguided allies who, through their excess zeal, hinder rather than help us.”

“But Radagast is neither weak nor misguided, as you well must know.” Gandalf said, much surprised at Saruman’s sudden outburst, and the way he had tried to smother it so quickly. Saruman actually had gotten a bit impatient with the more easy-going Radagast in the past, but he had never resorted to words such as these, “And none should scorn the aid of even the smallest.” the Grey Wizard added, “For the path of wisdom teaches that the greatest help can be found in the most unlikely places.”

“You need not speak to me like you preach to those fools you take for friends!” Saruman cried, then just as quickly brought himself back under control again. “I an sorry my friend.” he said smoothly, “For a great many things weigh heavily on my mind. But now I sense that you have something of the greatest importance to tell me. Come, let us walk together.” So the White Wizard and the Grey walked through the well-tended trees of Isengard, talking together. Or rather Gandalf talked and the other listened, interrupting every once in a while to ask probing questions, as if he feared the other wizard was hiding something from him. Gandalf did in fact omit certain important details as he told of his long search for the Ring, for Saruman’s strange attitude had made him suddenly cautious, and he felt somehow that everything should not be told. As he spoke of how he had at last discovered that the Ring was indeed the One, Saruman interrupted him again. “You are sure of it?” the White Wizard asked quickly, and for an instant a strange, almost greedy light came into his eyes.

“Beyond any doubt.” Gandalf replied, not noticing the expression that had passed over Saruman’s face. His attention had been taken by another disturbing matter, the cawing of crebian that circled slowly about Orthanc. Such birds were normally inclined to evil purposes, so why were they tolerated in Isengard?

“So the Ring of Power has been found.” Saruman said slowly, now perfectly controlling his expressions.

“All these long years it was in the Shire, under my very nose.” Gandalf spoke.

“And yet you did not have the wits to see it.” the other wizard replied sharply. “Your love of the Halfling’s leaf has clearly slowed your mind.”

Gandalf ignored this comment. In the councils of the Wise, Saruman had often subtly mocked Gandalf’s habit of smoking pipeweed, and yet, as the Grey Wizard knew, Saruman secretly smoked it himself. “But we still have time.” he pressed, “Time enough to counter Sauron if we act quickly.”

“Time?” The White Wizard replied loudly, and then in a softer tone continued, “What time do you think we have?”
Telemnar
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2004 08:28
“Sauron has regained much of his former strength.” Saruman spoke. He and Gandalf were now seated inside the library of Orthanc, where many valuable scrolls and parchments that could not be found anywhere else in Middle-Earth were kept . “He cannot yet take physical form,” the White Wizard continued, “But his spirit has lost none of it’s potency. Concealed within his fortress of Barad-Dur, the Lord of Mordor sees all. His gaze pierces cloud, shadow, earth, and flesh.” He stopped for a moment, as if trying to judge what effect his speech had on his listener. “You know of what I speak, Gandalf.” Saruman continued, “A great eye, lidless, wreathed in flame.”

“The Eye of Sauron.” Gandalf muttered. He had seen it only once before: through the Ring as it lay on the floor of Bag End. But Saruman would never have had any opportunity come so close to the Enemy, or an object controlled by him. So how could the White Wizard describe the Eye so well? He must have studied the arts of the Enemy long and hard to know this. Gandalf decided.

Saruman realized that the other wizard was thinking hard on what had just been said. In his worry, he thought he could feel Gandalf begin to grow suspicious, and so he started to speak again to try and draw his listener’s attention to other matters. “He is gathering all evil to him.” Saruman said in a low, dark tone. “Soon he will summon an army great enough to launch an assault upon Middle-Earth.” No sooner were these words out of his mouth then the White Wizard realized that he had made a mistake.

“You know this?” Gandalf asked, looking sharply at Saruman, “How?”

Saruman now had no choice but to admit truthfully how he knew these things, but he did it so smoothly and calmly that none would have been able to detect that he had not planned to reveal this secret all along. “I have seen it.” he started. Gandalf looked questioningly at him, and he continued, “You recall, no doubt, Gandalf, that when Elendil fled the destruction of Numenor he carried with him a mighty gift from the Eldar. The seven Seeing Stones. In the early days of Gondor’s glory, they were placed in the great fortresses of the kingdom. You know how gradually all were lost to history. But no more.” As he said these last words, Saruman gave a significant look out the open door of the library, to a great central room, in the very centre of which was a black stand with a cloth-covered object resting on top.

“A Palantir is a dangerous tool, Saruman!” Gandalf spoke as he rose quickly and strode toward the object.

“Why?” Saruman asked as he followed him, “Why should we fear to use it?” With these words he whisked the cloth cover off the seeing stone, revealing the dark and glittering Palantir. But Gandalf scarcely looked at it.

“They are not all accounted for, the lost Seeing Stones.” he cautioned, remembering the one that had been lost at Minas Morgul, “We do not know who else may be watching!” He took the cover from Saruman and threw it over the artefact, but even as Gandalf did so the Flaming Eye flashed forth from the dark sphere. Saruman must have seen it, but he gave no sign that he was even disturbed. The White Wizard serenely walked over to his high seat, from which he was accustomed to give instruction.

“The hour is later than you think.” he told Gandalf as he sat down. “Sauron’s forces are already moving. The Nine have left Minas Morgul.”

“The Nine!” Gandalf breathed. He knew what this meant.

“They crossed the River Isen on Midsummer’s Eve,” Saruman continued, “Disguised as riders in black.”

“They’ve reached the Shire!” the other wizard exclaimed.

“They will find the Ring.” Saruman continued, without the least bit of urgency in his voice, “And kill the one who carries it.”

“Frodo!” Gandalf cried. His dear friend was in grave danger! The Grey Wizard ceased to think of anything else but getting to Frodo’s side as quickly as possible, so that he could guard the Hobbit from the dreaded Nine. He started toward one of the great doorways that led out of Saruman’s chamber, but as he neared it the doors closed of their own accord. Gandalf looked up toward the other wizard. Had Saruman done this? He moved toward a second set of doors, but they to slammed shut. Gandalf quickly turned in the chamber, and as he faced each doorway it closed before him. The Grey Wizard turned again and faced Saruman.

“You did not seriously think that a Hobbit could contend with the will of Sauron?” Saruman said, “There are none who can. Against the power of Mordor, there can be no victory.” And now Gandalf knew that his hidden suspicions were justified, but beyond his wildest fears. “We must join with him Gandalf, we must join with Sauron.” the White Wizard continued, putting all the power and influence into his voice. “It would be wise, my friend.”

Gandalf had heard such words as these before, but only from servants of the Enemy! “Tell me, my friend,” he replied, “How did Saruman the Wise abandon reason for madness!”

With a cry of rage Saruman seized his staff. Focusing his energies through it, he flung Gandalf up against the wall, and holding him there, advanced. As his opponent neared, Gandalf strained and broke free of the spell that held him in place. Saruman raised his staff for another blow, but the other wizard was quicker, unleashing a blast of energy that knocked his enemy to the ground. With a shout of rage Saruman struck back, throwing Gandalf against the wall. The Grey Wizard attacked again, unleashing a powerful spell through his staff that flung Saruman across the room and struck his head against the stone wall. Saruman attacked quickly, throwing his opponent to the floor. Before the Grey Wizard could recover he was struck again with a swift, but powerful spell. Then Gandalf counterattacked with a mighty blast of energy that hurled Saruman through the chamber doors, breaking the spell that was holding them closed. But Gandalf could not follow up on his advantage, for the great effort had weakened him. As he paused to recover, the White Wizard attacked. Saruman held forth his hand, and Gandalf’s staff left his control and flew to the hand of his enemy. Before the Grey Wizard could even begin to recover from this great defeat he was thrown down and pinned to the floor. Saruman advanced, his voice choked with hate and rage.

“I gave you the chance of aiding me willingly!” the White Wizard cried, “But you have elected the way of pain!
StarOfTheDunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 20, 2005 01:28
This is Star, bumping up the thread to page 1...
striders_star
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2005 01:46
Pippin couldn't hold it in any longer. He just had to ask, "O Wise People! Do you know any thing about these...Black Riders?"

Gildor became worried. "Why do you ask about Black Riders?" he said in a low voice.

Pippin answered, "B-because some have come after us today...we just got away when you showed up."

Gilder became more worried "We will not speak of this here. You should come stay with us tonight. It is not our costum...but we think it is best for you."

Pippin was glad. He felt safer witht he elves around. "O, Fair Folk! This is indeed good fortune beyond my hope!" he exclaimed."
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email