Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
LadyOfGondor85
Council Member
Send Message
Post Who is the bravest?
on: May 01, 2004 06:21
Out of these characters, who is the bravest and why?
Aragorn
5% (4)
Boromir
8% (7)
Faramir
12% (1)
Frodo
17% (1)
Sam
46% (3)
Eowyn
5% (4)
Gandalf
0% (0)
Merry
1% (1)
Pippin
0% (0)
Other
6% (5)
LadyOfGondor85
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Who is the bravest?
on: May 01, 2004 06:22
Faramir for sure, it takes guts to ride out like that to Osgiliath in the face of death. Go Faramir!!! :love:
XxX_nikki4legolas_XxX
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2004 10:05
Definetly Sam! :love: I mean...it must take some guts to try and swim to frodo with a huge chance of drowning (as we all know, hobbits cant swim) take on Shelob single-handly AND carry Frodo up to Mount Doom with barely any strength between them. There are many more courageous things that Samwise The Brave has had to encounter...and I believe that he is the true hero in LOTR. Come on...where would Frodo be without Sam? He would have given in to the rings power ages ago! You are my hero Sam!!! We love you!!! :heart:
Nevthónîel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 01, 2004 11:19
I'm not very into hobbits, but still...Sam is definitely the bravest around here.
"Frodo wouldn't have gone that far without Sam." Isn't that scentence the one of the best? It really describes everything - really, everybody is depending on each other. Nothing would have been the same if someone in the fellowship wouldn't have been there. All of them were as important as Frodo, I think.
Well...it requires a lot of courage and love to risk your life and go out in the world with no idea of what you're doing. Sam didn't know how big deal it really was when he followed Frodo from Rivendell. This part of the story always takes the hold of me - it's friendship when it's the best. So when Movie Frodo sends Sam away, I was breathtakingly mad, confused and sad at the same time. Fortunately it ended up quite like the book. But yet, I hate that little scene and I won't look at it the next time.
For me, Sam and Frodo's friendship is the thing that keeps the story up all the time. We all should have a Sam by our sides..
I_am_no_man
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2004 11:23
I voted Eowyn and would include Merry too because they both probably took into consideration that they were not valiant warriors like Eomer or even Theoden and would probably not be able to defend themselves as well as them, but yet they went anyhow wanting to make a difference in any way they could.
square
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2004 02:48
Samwise. Going into Mordor possibly never to return, not to mention saving Frodo all those times.
snoopy_hobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2004 03:28
This was a tough one!!! Each character has his or her own bravery to a certain degree. But I picked Sam since he was so resilient and enduring trying to help Frodo and he also remained Frodo's truest ally till the very end. Now that's what I call friendship.
Délanor
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 05, 2004 04:57
Everyone!!!!

But especially Boromir, Faramir and Frodo!
- Boromir for sure, if you have seen FOTR, you know what I mean!
- Faramir because, eh, you know if you saw ROTK! and everyone did that, or not??!!! Vey sad scene :cry:...
- Frodo: Will you volunteer for bringing the one ring to Mount Doom? (counsil of Elrond) I`m sure I would not, I just hide and give it to Lego or something......

But, Ermmm, I voted for Boromir!
ViggoBliggo
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2004 06:54
I think many of the good characters were brave in their own way but I voted for Eowyn because she was so eager to fight for the things she loved that...ah...and by the way...she was definatelly very cute...but Arwen was cuter:love:
Aervir
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2004 10:49

"Frodo wouldn't have gone that far without Sam." Isn't that sentence one of the best?
Well...it requires a lot of courage and love to risk your life and go out in the world with no idea of what you're doing...
For me, Sam and Frodo's friendship is the thing that keeps the story up all the time. We all should have a Sam by our sides..

Yeah, I agree exactly with you! I mean it's not that hard to be brave if you're Isildur's Heir, or a battle-trained Captain of Gondor ( not that I'd mind meeting Aragorn, Boromir or Faramir :love: ), but if you are an ordinary person that sets out on such a perilous quest just for friendship and loyalty, well, that's real courage!

[Edited on 7/5/2004 by Aervir]
Lindir
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2004 12:15
I voted for Sam - mind you, I think that all of them rock beyond reason - appart from Frodo, not so struck on him. I don't know why...

So yeah, Sam rules - he's got that grit determination about him...

Anyway, off now,

Lindir
Foggy
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2004 05:35
Sam

Though I guess Frodo was brave in agreeing to take the ring but still Sam...........
i_luv_orlando_b
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2004 06:22
Frodo for taking the Ring to Mount Doom. Sam I suppose, b/c he carrys Frodo up MD...And all the Fellowship!!!
tar_hazelton
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2004 06:46
This was a tough one. They're all brave, except for maybe Gandalf, only because he can die and come back to life, so courage isn't even really relevent.

I voted for Frodo, because he isn't a warrior and he sacrificed everything.

With characters like Boromir, Faramir, Aragorn, Legolas, and Eomer, courage is expected of them because they are warriors.

Sam, Merry, and Pippin were all brave, particularly Sam, but in the end, they didn't have to sacrifice as much.
MarilláLaisä
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2004 09:09
Sam ofcourse
He could easiley stay with the other, but he choose for staying with Frodo and take the most dangerous way.
I think I would never do somthing like that. And I'm not afraid!
RosieT
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2004 09:36
One of the hobbits. Or all of them.

Aragorn was obviously brave but also very confident, which adds to courage.

Boromir was very brave, racing to save the hobbits, so he'd definitely be in with a shout!

Gandalf was brave enough, but had knowledge of an afterlife which helped.

Faramir was brave but also emotionally driven

Eowyn was brave but didn't seem to fear death

The hobbits were half the size of everyone else and behaved with remarkable bravery throughout. How could you choose just one tho.
Marshall
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 09, 2004 12:39
Gimli never scared to fight
RubySandybanks
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 10, 2004 09:22
Sam. [/b]Without a doubt in my mind. He was completely loyal and took the responsibility, that Gandalf had bestowed upon him, of watching out for Frodo very seriously.[b]
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 10, 2004 10:32
this is a strange poll, when you take into account what we call "bravery"... so, my reasoning, character by character... (*i chose "other" by the way, with no specific character in mind*)

Aragorn was confident in his own abilities (of war) more than he was brave, I thought. He knew what he could do and wasn't afraid to do it... but what about being not afraid to do what he didn't know he could do?

Boromir died with a sense of... repentance? loyalty?... it's explained more in the books, how he died more to try and save his honor than because he was simply brave.

Faramir did all he did to try and please his father. He was brave, yes, to ride to pretty much certain death, but he had a load of outside reasons. I mean, to some extent, he could have even wanted to die, after undergoing so much abuse, and believing he was worthless.

Gandalf was brave... but somehow, he wasn't the bravest. I thought that where he actually fought in RotK demonstrated his bravery the best, but... there was something that kept me from voting as such.

Eowyn and Merry both fought in naivete. Yes, they knew that war was awful, they knew they'd likely die, but they didn't know what it would be really like. They faced war unknowing, and not knowing what to expect, could you call them braver for doing what another (who did know) might not have?

Pippin fought more from a sense of duty than bravery. He felt chained by the fact that Boromir had died to save him, felt that he had to repay, but even as he said, "I don't want to go into battle, but waiting on the edge of one that I cannot avoid is even worse."

Sam was ruled first by his love for Frodo, and also by his sense of duty, but somehow, I think his loyalty overshadows his bravery. He did what he did not especially out of bravery, not because he could do it, but because he had to do it.

umm... I think that's all.
JennyMiller
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 14, 2004 04:41
I'd have to say faramir, though sam was up there
kazbels
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 15, 2004 09:35
I have to disagree with those who think Gandalf wasn't brave because he had knowledge of an after-life. Gandalf had no reason to believe he would be sent back to complete the task. For all he knew, when he fought the Balrog and died, that was the end. It was only by the grace of Eru that Gandalf returned.

But I voted for Frodo. He took on an enormous task, with no understanding of the danger when he left the Shire. At Rivendell, with some small idea of what it entailed, he still volunteered to carry the Ring to Mordor. Then at Ammon Hen, after seeing what the Ring did to Boromir, he decided to go to Mordor all by himself, so the others would not be in danger. He didn't know how to get there; he didn't know what he would have to face; he knew the Ring was pulling on him; but he went on, despite all obstacles in his way.

Sam, however, is a very close 2nd!
Shire~Maiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2004 06:32
Frodo. He may not be a great warrior or leader, but it is very brave to stand up and say "I will take it!" Especially for a hobbit, cuz hobbits would rather stay home and let the Big Folk handle things.
Nyérëven
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2004 06:48
When I first looked at this, I thought "sam" at first, but thinking over it now, I'm leaning more towards Frodo, for pretty much the reasons already stated...
~Venora~
Violinist of Mirkwood
Send Message
on: June 27, 2004 05:57
Though my gut instinct said to vote for Pippin, I voted for Sam. Killing that big ugly Shelob is a great reason!! I hate spiders! Go Sam!!
Mrs_Frodo_Baggins12
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2004 10:02
Frodo! (Duh!) He IS the ring bearer!
thegreendragonmaid
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2004 11:43
I voted for sam but i would have to say everyone.They each had there own kind of bravery,and they each had a different task that they all did and finished.
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: June 27, 2004 05:08
Frodo : For volunteering to take the Ring in the first place knowing he might not return. He sacrificed everything.

Sam : For sticking by Frodo's side no matter what.

Don't make me pick one over the other! I can't do it.
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
Anorwen_Niphredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2004 05:27
Sam. It takes guts and bravery to stick by someone when (in the movie! :cry: PJ changed so much) all your efforts for them are being sabatoged by the very person you are trying to protect them from-- and sacrifice so much just so they can make it, not really caring (comparatively) what happens to you.
Annûniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 29, 2004 10:34
Sam of course! He really is Samwise the Brave and Frodo wouldn't have gotten very far at all without Sam. In fact I think I remember something from somewhere that Tolkien admitted that the real hero of LotR is Sam. Frodo's really brave for taking on the quest too. As is everyone else, but I still say Sam!
Araduin
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 29, 2004 01:09
I would have to say Faramir because he went back to Osgilith when he knew it would mean certain death. Stupid Denethor for making his son go out there

Sam is also up there because he stayed with Frodo to the very end. "Frodo wouldn't have gotten far without Sam."
Araduin
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 29, 2004 01:15
I would also have to say Eowyn and Merry because they took down an enemy that no one had killed for they weren't Man, they were Woman and Hobbit.

That would have to take some gut!
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: June 29, 2004 01:21
Frodo was still brave whether he would have "gotten far without Sam" or not.
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 29, 2004 01:39
They were all very brave. Including the ones who were not mentioned, like Arwen and Eomer and the numerous soldiers who did not have a name at all. They all played their part in the game of saving ME and rebuild it, with no one better than another. Therefore, I did not vote.
~hobbitluver~
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 29, 2004 04:52
It's impossible to choose only one hero (or heroine), butI went with my instincts (do I have instincts about LotR stuff? Yeah, probably ) and said Sam.

I pretty much have the same thing to say as everyone else, with one thing to add--I think that doing brave things was hardest for Sam because of his personality. He was naturally a simple gardener who was pretty much nice to everyone, but when his friend needed it, he really came through, despite his usually tendency to avoid those things. That is true bravery!

[Edited on 30/6/2004 by ~hobbitluver~]
ElvenShieldmaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 29, 2004 10:08
It's hard for me to choose, but for me Frodo is THE hero. I used to think that Sam was The Man, but a friend and I discussed the matter and his arguments were too convincing for me to disagree any longer.

Frodo essentially sacrificed his life for the sake of the Shire and Middle-earth. For Eru's sake, he couldn't even live in his beloved home after the deed was done! What a noble sacrifice!

Sam was there just to help Frodo. He could have left Frodo and gone home or anywhere he'd have liked, if his conscience told him otherwise, since he was bound to Frodo by no oath. Frodo, on the other hand, was entrusted with the fate of Middle-earth. On him alone, Elrond decreed, was responsibility of the Ring laid. He had to continue on, he had to do what he could to get the Ring to Mt. Doom. Sam didn't. He just wanted to. Or, he felt obligated to, but in truth there was no real obligation.

At any rate, I could go on, but I won't.

As for the others... well, they were brave, each in his/her own way. But if any of the others suffered psychological and physical (the potency of Shelob's sting and the Witch-king's stab remained) damage, they recovered and met their own happy ending. Frodo didn't. That's what makes him The Hero in my book.

Ciao!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email