Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Lollypop
Air Hostess of Gwaihir
Send Message
Post Fan Art Help
on: May 17, 2004 08:52
This thread is for artists who need help with a specific piece of art. If you want to, you can either post a link to the image, or the image itself, but please don't post images larger than 400x400 pixels. Larger pics will streatch the page, and once more artists post their pics it will take forever to load.
Fhêndil
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fan Art Help
on: June 03, 2004 02:31
Heya people!

After posting some stuff, I decided to put one up here! I love to get criticism, if it is helpful! So now to the piece...

After I drew a lot things in more realistic style I decided to draw something in a more comical (animation-) style. This is a scene from a LOTR based RPG and Comic Project I am in, the chapter itself is called "Warg-hunt". The warg there looks more like a werewolf than these hyena styled ones in the movie. Here is the smaller sketch version of it:

And here is the big version with a cut of Gethar's (The horse) head, so that you can see how it will be colored!
http://www.freepgs.com/lizkay/mehost/FhendilsWargHuntSK.jpg
So I am open for any suggestions, crits. or whatever!
Thanks in advance!

*waves* Greets!
Goldsand
Mystic of Ithilien
Send Message
on: June 04, 2004 11:23
Hey great pic - I really your drawing style and your version of the warg - cool!
Fhêndil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 13, 2004 02:57
Thanks!!
I overworked it and also added a digital inking...
so here is what I did already:
It is bigger here:
http://www.freepgs.com/lizkay/mehost/WarghuntSketch05.jpg
The only problem I still have are the horse's hint legs

Greets!
Goldsand
Mystic of Ithilien
Send Message
on: June 13, 2004 11:40
Yeah horses can be a challenge to draw, but you're doing a fine job of it - great detail! You might want to check out one of Lee Hammond's drawing books ... she has one on drawing horses which you can check out here. I haven't tried drawing horses yet but her other books have helped my drawing tremendously.
foshpickle~greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 11, 2004 05:56
I know this thread is for specific pieces of art... but I'm a wee bit confused and I figure since this is for fan art help it might be alright to post here.

How do you upload something you've drawn? I know, I know, dumb question, but I'm confused all the same. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Lollypop
Air Hostess of Gwaihir
Send Message
on: September 11, 2004 11:26
First you need a place to host your images. Lots of our members seem to be using http://tinypic.com. I'm not using it myself, so am not sure how it works exactly, but I'm sure it's fairly easy when you follow their instructions.

Alternatively, if you have a website you can upload images there and link to the URL from our forums. If you are a Yahoo! member, for example, you should get a free website account from Geocities for free. Just go to www.geocities.com.

To put a link to the forum, type this to your post, replacing the ( ) with [ ] = [url=http://www.website.com/you-image.jpg)Your image(/url) Obviously the website and the image name are just examples, you need to replace them with your own names...
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 14, 2004 03:39
*yes* *punches air in happiness* I didn't know about tinypic.com-- and I was looking for a way to post images. I don't have any of my drawings on this computer, but I'll be back later with a couple sketches.

Oh, and Fhendel: really good job, I **love** that horse-- especially his right fore.
The_seventh_Ringbearer
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2005 02:18
Ok, I'm finally ready to put up a pic here on this site, but when I shrank it down to 600 pixels, it turned out a little bit larger then a postal stamp! Is this supposed to happen or is something wrong with how I'm going about this? I can't figure it out. I'd like a response as quick as possible as I have to get this image out of my system as soon as possible. :feedback:
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2005 05:32
If you're using a program like HP Image Editor, they use a really really weird scale (I think it's relative to the original size), and it doesn't show the magnification. Often, it'll show 600 pixels as the stamp-size, but if you host it, or stick it in another program (say PhotoShop or MS Picture It! and put the scale at 100% it'll show you that it's actually about as wide as the table are set here. Hope that helped.
The_seventh_Ringbearer
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2005 05:55
Thanks! It worked. :disco:
Séreméla_Arcamenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2005 10:22
Hello
Hope this is the right place to be showing this..
Here are some drawings of the LotR cast/characters I have done over the last 6 months

C&C always welcome

Tracy

[Edited on 16/6/2005 by Séreméla_Arcamenel]

[Edited on 16/6/2005 by Séreméla_Arcamenel]
Alatariel1013
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2005 10:25
That's a really good drawing. But drawings should be posted in the fan art section. Wish I could draw like that, but I'm getting there. =)
Goldsand
Mystic of Ithilien
Send Message
on: June 16, 2005 10:30
Nice work Séreméla_Arcamenel .. although Alatariel1013 is right - I had attempted to move the post to this Fan Art thread last night, but lost my internet connection.

I wish I could draw like that too.
Minhiriath
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2005 10:50
Mod Note: Post moved from thread " ... can't find my drawing?" to this thread

Well, I submitted the first one in .. may i think?

But the new drawing was already on the web.. think it was 4 hours after the submitting? But that wasnt the problem.. think i just didn't submit it right, but anyhow, it is there, and i'm thankful for that, thanks anyone ;D <3

PS: check it out here: Beren and Luthien.

[Edited on 6/16/2005 by Goldsand]
Séreméla_Arcamenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2005 10:52
Thanks for moving it... Wasn't sure where it should go..
And thanks for the kind remarks. Appreciated.
Just finished Galadriel, and am currently working on Elrond. Legolas is proving to be a probem though. His skin is so light, there is hardly any contrast between his skin tones, But I'll get there.
Here's Gollum.

We lovez him!
Alarien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 11, 2005 02:07
OMG, Séreméla! Those look exactly like the actual photos! I love your attention to detail and the contrast and shading are great!:love:
Alatariel1013
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 30, 2005 04:41
My precious! *loves* Wow, that's awesome!
Hexe
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2005 03:14
Here is a drawing of Legolas. It´s done with pastels.
I hope it´s not too big...

[Edited on 5/8/2005 by Hexe]
Alarien
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 09, 2005 08:23
I like your shading, Hexe! You are wonderful with pastels! I especially like his hair...

And here are the links to my pics that I would love to have some more comments on!

1st link

2nd link
Thankies!

Edited to shorten links

[Edited on 8/10/2005 by Goldsand]
Ireth_Telrunya
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 13, 2005 12:35
OMG, Séreméla! Those look exactly like the actual photos! I love your attention to detail and the contrast and shading are great!

No kidding!! It's like you took screencaps and just turned them to black and white.... AMAZING!!!

May I borrow your talent, pretty pretty please???
Far over the Misty Mountains cold, to dungeons deep and caverns old. We must away ere break of day, to claim our long forgotten gold.
BohemianWeasel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 09, 2005 04:23
Alarien,
I really liked your pieces.
I have two bits of advice that may help but that you're free to ignore of course:

1) Don't make your background 'busier' or more textured than your foreground image, especially if it's a person. In the Faramir drawing he's got a very soft, smudged finish yet around him is a spiky linework which detracts.
Lines like that (especially if they're all going in one direction) denote movement or agitation, backgrounds are meant to either show something particular to enhance the entire piece or fade into the -well, background.
Quickly filling in a white space with scribbles lets down a lovely drawing. Spend a bit more time on it the background and don't let it overpower your character.

2) Shading. In your éowyn drawing, even though the resolution is grainy, you can still see some lovely shading going on. I'd like to see you do more of that. The Faramir pic - although lovely - looks a bit too 'liney' as though you were trying to draw around the outside of features (like the nose, for example) when in real life we don't have such sharp delineations between features unless in strong light - and then it's only on one side.
You could try drawing with the side of the pencil lead rather than the tip, so you're blocking in shade instead of drawing in lines (which is so incredibly difficult anyway). Using shading you can build a much more 'solid' face, one that has a three-dimensional feel. Then you can always add lines (for eyes, mouth etc) afterwards.

Don't stop drawing. I think both of the pieces you've linked to are very good (and I'm a harsh critic). Just keep drawing and keep practising
Alarien
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 09, 2005 06:56
Alarien,
I really liked your pieces.
I have two bits of advice that may help but that you're free to ignore of course:

1) Don't make your background 'busier' or more textured than your foreground image, especially if it's a person. In the Faramir drawing he's got a very soft, smudged finish yet around him is a spiky linework which detracts.
Lines like that (especially if they're all going in one direction) denote movement or agitation, backgrounds are meant to either show something particular to enhance the entire piece or fade into the -well, background.
Quickly filling in a white space with scribbles lets down a lovely drawing. Spend a bit more time on it the background and don't let it overpower your character.

2) Shading. In your éowyn drawing, even though the resolution is grainy, you can still see some lovely shading going on. I'd like to see you do more of that. The Faramir pic - although lovely - looks a bit too 'liney' as though you were trying to draw around the outside of features (like the nose, for example) when in real life we don't have such sharp delineations between features unless in strong light - and then it's only on one side.
You could try drawing with the side of the pencil lead rather than the tip, so you're blocking in shade instead of drawing in lines (which is so incredibly difficult anyway). Using shading you can build a much more 'solid' face, one that has a three-dimensional feel. Then you can always add lines (for eyes, mouth etc) afterwards.

Don't stop drawing. I think both of the pieces you've linked to are very good (and I'm a harsh critic). Just keep drawing and keep practising
Thanks! I'll keep your advice in mind. I've only recently tried photorealism and background work, so your input is highly appreciated!
BohemianWeasel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 09, 2005 07:30
You're more than welcome!
And thank you for taking the critique so well, I know what it's like to put work out there for people to judge!
But if they are your first attempts at drawing like that, then I am even more impressed.
What I could see in your work is that you have something essential to a good artist - you have a good eye. If you can really see where things go in relation to other things, and then combine that with interesting mark-making (the use of your media) and experimentation and -very importantly - practice, then you have everything you need. That goes for any artist, no matter how experienced they are (and includes me, I still think I have a long way to go with my work, but I'm really enjoying the journey).

I genuinely think you have talent, otherwise I wouldn't have commented, ahem So I really hope you do put up more of your work in future, I shall be watching with interest!

All the very best.
Alarien
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2005 11:05
Thank you! Your artwork is wonderful too! I hope to see more of your work.
arwen_the_evenstar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 28, 2005 09:05
Hopefully once I get my scanner for Christmas and I have it all set up then I can finally show you my drawing! I have to admit though- they are no where as near as good! I haven't concentrated fully on LOTR drawings for soooooo long... I'm gonna go practice some more! See you guys!

Namarie,
~Arwen
Elioclya
Lady of Ithilien
Send Message
on: November 28, 2005 09:29
I look forward to it Arwen! Enjoy
Alarien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2005 03:21
Hopefully once I get my scanner for Christmas and I have it all set up then I can finally show you my drawing! I have to admit though- they are no where as near as good! I haven't concentrated fully on LOTR drawings for soooooo long... I'm gonna go practice some more! See you guys!

Namarie,
~Arwen
Can't wait to see it!
ladyrwhen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2006 09:37
Hello all! I just finished this wallpaper yesterday. I took me all day! :dizzy:
If you guys could give me your opinions on it, and suggestions on things I could improve I would really appreciate it. This the first good one I've done so far and I think it turned out well but lets see what you think!

:feedback: :wave:
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/5380/thepassingoftheelves78so.jpg
musicalgal123
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 10, 2006 09:39
I think it's really good.

My only thing is that it looks really pixelated to me. I don't know if that's my computer or what have you, but if it isn't... my suggestion would be to never make an image larger. Resizing the image to be smaller is better as it doesn't destroy the pixelation and all that stuff any where near as bad as resizing it to be bigger. But other than that, I think it's pretty good.
ladyrwhen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2006 11:28
I decided to try making it an 800x600 and that seemed to help the grainyness a bit since I didn't have to resize the image. Let me know what you think of it now. I also did two new one's and would like opinions on them
http://img280.imageshack.us/img280/9782/passingoftheelves800x600comple.jpg
http://img280.imageshack.us/img280/3118/lastvoyagecomplete5uz.jpg
http://img280.imageshack.us/img280/4355/thegreyhavenscomplete9ls.jpg
shadowmaster_bobadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2007 10:53
Here is a drawing of Legolas. It´s done with pastels.
I hope it´s not too big...
oh, it's wonderful! love the color blendingbut the the jaw is oddly set. love it!!:love:

[Edited on 5/8/2005 by Hexe]
elra
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2007 05:55
Hi everyone

I never posted any draw here or in other site, so I'm finding this a bit confusing. I'm not sure if this thread is the right place either for this question, but here goes.. CoE has some conditions for posting the pictures (600px and 100kb), and the only program I have on my pc is paint a some photograph programs, needless to say that with it the draws lose quality.

What do you usually use? Do you recommend any program specifically?
Thanks
shadowmaster_bobadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2007 03:38
Hey, um..ah... well I need comments for this Arwen pic. I'm new to this thing:cry: so help me out. It's not the best one I've done but it works:love:
comments, sujestions, even put-downs are welcome

http://shadowmasterbombadil.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album01&id=Arwen

ElerrinaElf
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2007 05:01
i just became a member of this site and i wanted to post some of my art, but i'm not exactly sure how... do i have to somehow create my own gallery? i'd really appreciate any help anyone can offer.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email