Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
LadyCeleborn
Palantir Mod, Guardian of Ulmo's Realm & Resident Eomer Fancier
Send Message
Post RE: 'Arthur' the movie
on: October 22, 2004 03:39
I personally liked "King Arthur" and look forward to the dvd release on Dec 21st. It's not your traditional King Arthur movie with him and the Knights of the Round Table. But I enjoyed it. It was different. To me it was more of a "real" event than the usual "fairytale" version of Arthur and the Knights.

Mara
Chiquita Banana
Send Message
on: October 23, 2004 11:11
I definitely have to agree with LC - even though as a Classical Historian I know it's historically inaccurate But I'm not that much of a purist,lol. I really liked it because it seems more possible, more realistic. As for books to suggest I've recently read some very good ones that place it along the same lines as the movie (ie. Late Roman/Early Dark Ages era). PM me if you want to know about them I'll probably have more to post after I go back and read the rest of the thread
LOTRcrazy
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 23, 2004 12:48
I thought King Arthur was a good movie, although it was nothing like the book. On of my favorite parts was the ice battle.
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 23, 2004 01:31
I thought King Arthur was a good movie, although it was nothing like the book.

Which book are you talking about? There's a ton about Arthur...

And it's "Not all who wander are lost..." for your siggy... lol
Mara
Chiquita Banana
Send Message
on: October 23, 2004 03:14
If you mean the movie book, yeah, there was quite a difference I preferred the movie book...but then I always prefer the books...I like to let my imagination run wild
luthienkenobi
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 14, 2004 07:02
Yeah...which book are you talking about? I read the one by Thomas Mallory in 7th grade...it was really good. My teacher was so into it...we had a discussion on how LOTR was related to King Arthur.
The movie book was really good...and it was different.
Rilain
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 11, 2004 04:25
*like the armor! likes the armour! likes the armour!*... I'll stop now.
luthienkenobi
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 13, 2004 06:39
Wow...caranquariel...I love your avatar! I just noticed it now. I love Tristan and Lancelot too...I was so mad when both of them died.

[Edited on 14/12/2004 by luthienkenobi]
Anthiriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2004 11:41
Any of you seen the director's cut?It's good,but it's much more blood in it,much more cutting off the arms,heads,etc.
My nephew was laughing at me I keep watching the last battle scene on and on and on,for the 10th and 20th and 30th time,because I still hope Tristan somehow survives and won't get killed,lol.
And I can't stop listening to the soundtrack-it's so amazing...
luthienkenobi
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2004 03:41
I want to get the director's cut...but it doesn't come out until next week. I don't have the soundtrack either...but I want it...maybe I'll get it as a Christmas present, lol.
Mara
Chiquita Banana
Send Message
on: December 18, 2004 04:45
I can't wait for xmas...first thing I'm going to buy with my xmas money is the director's cut of King Arthur...I'm so excited about it! I didn't know they were going to have a director's cut until I was browsing a store's web site :disco: And yeah, I keep wishing that Tristan somehow will live at the end when I see the movie, lol. He is such a wonderful character "I aim for the middle", lol.
celticrangerchick89
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 25, 2004 07:54
everyone mentions the book. what book?! it's driving me insane!
i thought it was brilliant and i loved how tristan (i think it was him) kept looking to make sure it was his kids because the other knights jept teasing him. the movie was brilliant. though i didn't care how lancelet died :sob: - i mean, you ended up having only gawaine to ga-ga at :drool: . ah well. it was a master-piece. :applause:
Manephelien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2004 09:00
I just saw the director's cut, and I must admit I was rather disappointed. In spite of what they said at the beginning, it's still not certain a person called Arthur ever existed, no matter what his putative ancestry may have been. Crossbows weren't introduced into Europe much before the 10th century AD, possibly a century or two eariler, but no way were they used here in the 5th. The pope didn't have the right to grant land yet, so the family holed up in the north made no sense. The Saxons never ventured very close to Hadrian's Wall, or if they did, they didn't approach it from the north. I must say I prefer the fantasy legends with magic etc, which make no pretence at historical fact. Clive Owen's acting was a bit stiff, but he was very hot. :love: So was Ioan Gruffudd as Lancelot. :love: :love:
Precious!
celticrangerchick89
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2004 03:03
Mane, it was a Hollywood production, dear. That's it- just because it was different then doesn't mean squat when you are watching a movie. Movies are all fictional- they never stick truly to the truth.
kingurl
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2004 05:42
Well, I just saw King Arthur, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't have high expectations, because Hollywood has had a way of shooting those down lately. I thought it was very well filmed and beautifully acted, although character development was somewhat lacking. (To all you Tristan and Lancelot fans out there, I thought they were hot too!) I really enjoyed Clive Owen in the lead' thought he did an excellent job, but perhaps thats just because I love Clive Owen.

And to all of you, "they didn't follow the story!" folks out there, the only thing known forc ertain about the story is that there was a man whose name can be translated to Arthur who lived in Britain around that time. He had a wife, or was a least buried with a girl whose name can loosely be translated into Guenivere. That's it. The rest is speculation and educated guesses. But it does make for a wonderful fairy tale, and I'm a sucker for fairy tales
briseis_orqu_apollo
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2004 06:33
I've only seen the director's cut. What wasn't there before because I love the movie and I wonder if the theatrical version was any worse. Anyway, I started off loving Lancelot, but I reckon Tristan rocks! lol Mara I love how he did that 'Aim for the middle' line! Lastly, I've never seen Joel Edgerton in a gritty role - great to see.
StormyBaggins
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2004 12:08
everyone mentions the book. what book?! it's driving me insane!

The book that I mentioned a while ago was the book based on the movie, King Arthur by Frank Thompson. I should have made that more clear. I assume that's the one other people were referring to.
celticrangerchick89
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2004 12:12
thanks so much stormy!
i have another question- does anyone know who played Lancelet and Gawaine?
briseis_orqu_apollo
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2004 07:36
Lancelot's played by Ioan Gruffudd :love: and Gawain's played by Joel Edgerton
Mara
Chiquita Banana
Send Message
on: December 29, 2004 07:46
I bought the Director's cut finally. I'm going to try to watch it tomorrow...stupid work preventing me from watching movies, lol. I have tomorrow off, though, and I'm going to make my cousin watch it with me (she's never seen the movie...). I know they added some extra stuff at the end...or I heard they did, lol...and I'm excited to see it - I think the final battle was done better in the novelization than in the movie so I'm really looking forward to it
_Mouth_of_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2004 05:10
I just saw the director's cut last night and thought the movie was alright. If anything I enjoyed the warfare and weaponry. Don't really care for Keira Knightley, but Clive Owen did an awesome job (I thought). **SPOILER!** It's unfortunate that they had to kill the hottest knight (no, not Lancelot) -- Dagonet. :love: Cerdic was even sort of sexy in an old man Saxon way. :heart: Anyway, the movie was a nice departure from The Sword in the Stone and Merlin. It certainly was an interesting take on Arthur minus myth. What I'd really like to see (at least for the sake of 'objectivity') is King Arthur from a Saxon pov (and more Cerdic).
Mara
Chiquita Banana
Send Message
on: December 31, 2004 06:25
Okay, I watched the director's cut...finally! I've had it for a while now and because of work I haven't had the opportunity to watch it I loved it! :love: The added stuff really made a difference It put more emotion into the fight scenes. And I loved that bit just before the knights leave the Wall where Galahad is riding his horse :love:

Oh, and I know it was a while back that someone posted this, but I wanted to address the issue of Guinevere's woad clothing. I don't think they're too revealing at all, no more so than the male woad clothing, certainly. And I think the outfit is quite functional - I know I'd rather be fighting in something like that than in the full body armour. Can you imagine how hard it would be to move in that stuff?
luthienkenobi
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2004 08:02
I love the Director's Cut! I just got it...except it's a little to gory for me. I like the added scenes though. I liked the part when Lancelot was talking to Guinevere about his home. I should put the dialogue in my sig. :naughty:

Manephelien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2005 07:16
Mane, it was a Hollywood production, dear. That's it- just because it was different then doesn't mean squat when you are watching a movie. Movies are all fictional- they never stick truly to the truth.

I guess. However, I guess King Arthur just exceeded my capacity of suspending disbelief more than most other movies I've seen lately. Sometimes ignorance really is bliss, if you don't know history, it doesn't matter if they get the facts wrong. Thing is, it wouldn't've bothered me so much if they'd've included more of the fantasy aspects of the legends, but if you say you're trying to portray something "truthfully," then you'd better stick to the facts as they're known at the time of filming as closely as you can.
Precious!
Mara
Chiquita Banana
Send Message
on: January 01, 2005 01:14
As I said before, I'm a classical historian and the lack of fact doesn't bother me I love this movie just as I loved Gladiator (pretty much the only thing factual in that movie was that a guy named Commudus existed and he was the son of Marcus Aurelius) :love: The claim that the movie has a historical basis should be taken as a part of the movie itself, not as an acutal claim, I think
luthienkenobi
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2005 10:58
I agree with you Mara...it should be considered on a historical basis as part of the movie itself. Besides...you should see a movie for entertainment...not to analyze it completely.
Manephelien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2005 11:14
I had no problems with Troy in that regard. I've seen some other King Arthur movies, and they were very entertaining, because they included the magic and so I could think of them as part of the mythology.
Precious!
Mara
Chiquita Banana
Send Message
on: January 05, 2005 07:01
Troy I had major problems with, but I won't get into that here. I think the reason magic wasn't included was to make the story seem more believable. It was the same reason they stated that bit about archaeological evidence. Realism means the movie is more believable and people tend to like movies that seem possible - maybe it's the dreamer in all of us, the side of us that likes to think the stories we've heard as children and as adults might have actually happened long ago.

Oh, and, something totally off course here, lol, I really liked the way they portrayed the pulling the sword from the stone thing - a bit more detailed in the novelization than the movie, but hey I liked the way Jols told Horton about it in the novelization, though...wish they had kept that...oh well
luthienkenobi
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2005 05:37
I didn't have a problem with Troy...because I never read the Iliad.
Child_of_Lúthien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2005 09:00
I didn't have a problem, either. In fact, I quite enjoyed Troy. I enjoyed King Arthur, too. I just saw that on New Year's Eve and I prefer it's ending than the other endings that I've heard that go along with the whole King Arthur story.
arwen_the_evenstar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 04, 2005 06:47
Dunno if any of you guys will still be talking in this thread. It's kinda been dead for a while. Oh well nevermind. I bought King Arthur a few weeks back and I have to say I loved it! I never saw it at the cinema but the DVD I have is the Director's Cut so it doesn't matter to me the added scenes.
Anyway... just for all you Lancelot fans. Wow!!! he is cute! cute, hot, awesome whatever you wanna call it! I was watching it and I thought where do I know that actor from? Then i realised! 102 dalmatians! I used to watch it all the time when i was younger.

What other films is Clive Owen in? I feel like I have briefly seen his face somewhere else before but I dunno where! I thought he was okay as Arthur.

Keira Knightely. I am a Keira fan cos I liked her in Pirates of The Caribbean also. I have to say that it is a very different Guinevere that she portrayed to the myths and legends I have heard about her. I think that I would rather think of her as a warrior than a damsel in distress!

So I just thought that I would mention that I am a fellow fan and raise this thread from the depths as it were. Maybe there are other new fans out there by now. Anyone else?

Namarie,
~Arwen
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email