Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
LOTRcrazy
Council Member
Send Message
Post braces
on: September 21, 2004 12:22
Do any COE members have braces? I have them but i'm getting them off in 2 months I'm excited!!
Ataralassë_Manveri
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: braces
on: September 21, 2004 12:37
nope, 21 and I've never needed braces. I have ONE slightly sideways tooth, but that is my old dentist's fault. I had to have the baby version pulled.
Although I've never had, and never will have braces:
I have about 13 siilver colored fillings
half of one of my front teeth is fake (the tooth beside one of my top incisors)- it just chipped off.
So, I have straight, weak teeth. Fair trade off, I'd say. lol.
TheElvenPrincess
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 30, 2004 01:39
i have braces. my next appointment is on october 6th. i hope i get them off that day. i probably won't cuz my overbight isnt completely fixed. its almost there.

[Edited on 10/30/2004 by TheElvenPrincess]
Faithy_
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 06, 2004 10:36
I never really needed braces, but I have them.....{says bad word} The thing with my braces, my teeth are straight, but my jaw is screwed up....I have an overbite, so my bottom teeth are way back and it leaves a big gap in between my top and my bottom, so i can stick my tongue through. Usually, this would be noticeable, but my lips cover it up, so I need to keep the braces on until my surgery in December(finally) and then I'll be fixed! I'm conviced I'll end up looking weirder, but.......*sweats* whatever. I just want to get these braces off!!!

:heart:
Findulas
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 07, 2004 08:00
I have braces and I have more than a year to wait to get mine out, and I might have to weight another year after that. I have to admit braces aren't that bad, but I might just say tha because I have a great orthodontist and the practice I go to is a nice place. My next appointment is in November, the good thing about it is I'll get time off school.
VilyaTook
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 07, 2004 08:17
Both my brother and I had braces. He got his on months before me but we both got them off on the same day. You can imagine how angry he was that I didn't have to suffer as long as he did (lol) but I did have to have about eight teeth pulled before I got them on. They're all straight and purty now though!
Rebecca_C
CoE Volunteer & Weeper of Nienna
Send Message
on: November 03, 2004 03:21
I'm getting mine next week! Tell me it's not too bad! I've had four teeth pulled to have them on. Anyone else getting them, not losing?
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: November 03, 2004 06:15
I got braces um... nine months ago. I have to year mine for at least another year. And I got four teeth pulled in order to make room.

Lol Vilya, did he get braces before you because his teeth were more out of proportion than yours? I'd say the actual suffering part is getting them on. What about getting them off? I've heard it's quite unpleasant. >.<
VilyaTook
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 03, 2004 09:20
Yeah, his were all messed up. My main problem was that I had too many teeth and that was making them grow in odd. From what I remember, getting them off wasn't too bad. They just kinda pulled each bracket off and then cleaned away the glue stuff. And when they were all off, we got a bag of all the candy and things were weren't allowed to eat with them on.
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: November 03, 2004 01:12
I've had my braces off for almost two years. Now I have a nasty retainer. Bleh! My teeth were so horribly crooked and I had three baby teeth that just didn't want to come out (their permanent ones were already in). So those were the only teeth I had to get pulled. Plus I'm missing a tooth on the bottom, so my mouth wasn't crowded.

Anways, getting your braces off isn't all the bad. My only problem was getting the ceramic ones off the top. I thought the orothodontist was going to pull my teeth out with them! And then I had to wear goggles and a towel because bits of the ceramic brakets went flying everywhere. So if you don't have ceramic braces, getting them off isn't that bad. Except for scrapping the glue off... Then all you have to deal with is a horrible slimy feeling. Guh!
LadyEowyn_Of_Rohan
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 04, 2004 08:31
In fifth grade (age ten or eleven), I had one top front tooth that was behind the bottom front teeth. I got braces and a pallet expander, and my teeth got worse, better, worse in a completely different shape, better, and worse again over and over. My parents didn't beleive that the orthodontist wasn't very good, even though lots of the people I know who started going to him switched to a different one. I've had everything: pallet expander, rubber bands, chains, spacers, you name it. My teeth have been straight for a year, as the orthodontist hasn't tried to do anything to them, and I was supposed to get them off around Halloween. It's been almost three years, as compared to the two to two-and-a-half I was supposed to have. But just incase I made county band and might have to play the flute with my mouth in a different shap in November, I'm not going to get them off until after Thanksgiving.
LOTRcrazy
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 04, 2004 11:05
I just got my braces off YAH!! They gave me a pack of gum which i cant even chew because now I have a retainer. Getting your braces hurt a bit, because they have to scrape off the cement. It's not that bad though.
Rebecca_C
Send Message
on: November 19, 2004 03:10
I got my top one on last monday, the bottom one is going on next monday. I'm already anticipating having them off! The worst bit so far is the no coke rule. I don't like fruit juice, too many calories, so I used to drink water and Pepsi Max. But I'm on water now. *pulls a face of disgust*

Becky
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: November 19, 2004 12:40
Rebecca_C, why can't you have coke? Have you tried Fruit 2 O? It's this really good fruit flavored water (in lemon, strawberry, and other fruits I can't remember). It doesn't have any calories in it and it's not sugary.

I had all kinds of things when I had my braces. Everything pretty much except for things with a lot of food coloring. I didn't want my top brackets to turn all yellow.
BlueSting
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 20, 2004 11:41
I just got mine off. They have me popcorn and jolllyranchers ect. I'm so happy. I had to wear headgear *shudders* now I'm all done!
Rebecca_C
Send Message
on: November 22, 2004 03:11
Apparently the carbonic acid, if it gets behind and tou can't get to it with a toothbrush, will eat away at your teeth. I'll see if I can find that stuff, but I've just found a local shop that does flavoured water.

Headgear? What do you mean by that?? I don't want...

I got the bottom half on a few hours ago, I thought it was all last week until we arrived for the apointment last Monday. Then they told us they were only putting on the top half then, and the rest would be today.
TheElvenPrincess
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 23, 2004 09:15
I just found out that I get my braces off on December 8th at 2:30 pm!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited!
TheElvenPrincess
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 23, 2004 09:17
I just got mine off. They have me popcorn and jolly ranchers etc. I'm so happy. I had to wear headgear *shudders* now I'm all done!

I had headgear! I was supposed to have it for three months but after one, I didn't need them anymore! My teeth have been very cooperative.
Vingilot~sailor
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 23, 2004 09:52
I have braces! I can't w8 to get them off!!! I not real sure when I will get them off but I hope it soon!!
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: November 23, 2004 01:16
Apparently the carbonic acid, if it gets behind and tou can't get to it with a toothbrush, will eat away at your teeth. I'll see if I can find that stuff, but I've just found a local shop that does flavoured water.

What the...? People with braces drink soda all the time! Along with other things those orthodontists say you shouldn't do. Anyways, try drinking it through a straw so it doesn't get on your teeth. That's what I did whenever I wanted tea...
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: November 23, 2004 01:59
Yeah, TLA is right. People that have braces drink pop all the time... as well the other things you shouldn't do like eat candy or gooey, sticky things.
Rebecca_C
Send Message
on: December 06, 2004 03:27
My sister made some toffee fudge stuff for her friends and I had some of that. The reason I want to be careful is that it's broken twice already when I was eating cereal.
The thing is if I start drinking pop, I'll find it very difficult not to drink too much because don't like many other drinks. I'm doing OK on water so far.
Has anyone actually had problems caused by sweets or pop, or is the dentist trying to make a big thing of it?
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: December 12, 2004 12:29
Has anyone actually had problems caused by sweets or pop, or is the dentist trying to make a big thing of it?

I haven't had any troubles. As long as you don't over do it on sugary and sweet things, you'll be fine. I drink soda and have candy almost everyday! But then I take good care of my teeth. And some people, no matter what they do, they'll have problems with their teeth their whole lives.

The reason I want to be careful is that it's broken twice already when I was eating cereal.

My brackets were braking all the time! No matter how small I cut things up, something would always break. One time I went to bed with all my brackets in place, then I woke up to find that one had snapped off.
Rebecca_C
Send Message
on: December 13, 2004 02:53
haven't had any troubles. As long as you don't over do it on sugary and sweet things, you'll be fine.

Not suprised. The surgary I go to is a bit.. old fashioned, (for want of a better PG word!!), the kind of place that was once an old house and has been renovated by people who don't know much.
Anoria_Miriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2004 10:49
I've never had any fillings, but I had braces put in on the 10th of December. That would be my birthday. It was officially the worst birthday ever. :cry:
I've got them because my mouth is too small and I have too many teeth.
My braces are really weird, they're on my top jaw, and they have the metal hooky things on the side facing outwards, only they have a plasticky covering on the bottom of my teeth and metal bars on the top of my mouth. Oh, my wonderful powers of description!

[Edited on 19/12/2004 by Anoria_Miriel]

[Edited on 19/12/2004 by Anoria_Miriel]
Lady_Anie
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2004 01:22
I haven't had braces, even though I've thought for ages that I might need some. One of my front teeth is just slightly a bit more forward (it's not really that noticable though) than the other front tooth, and that's why I thought I needed one, but my dentist has never said anything about it! So I decided not to bring it up lol. If it got worse I probably would mention it but it's always been like that and never moved further forward.
Vardagaladhiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2004 09:08
Had to have braces because my top jaw was smaller than the top and I had a really open bite........got them September 2003 and am getting them off next visit, which is in January so that should be cool....am excited that they'll be coming off....but in a weird way I think I will miss them (very weird I know) because I've gotten so used to them now that they are quite comforting in a way.............
But still they have helped me a lot....I mean they completely rearranged my jaws!!! And it will be so good to actually bite into an apple again!!!!
Rebecca_C
Send Message
on: January 04, 2005 03:12
Apples! We wants apples, precious!!
No, no, patience, my love! First we must waits a little.
We can't, precious, we needs apples!
We've been eating chocolate, my love. Soon we'll have apples.Just a little longer...

I'm getting the wire changed tonight. I've had one to pull the teeth into a straight line, the next one is thicker and will start to pull the top ones back to where they shoud be. Then I'm guessing it'll be tightening it every few weeks. BTW, I have been eating chocolate!

Becky

Update- I didn't get the wire changed, one of the teeth had not rotated into its new position. He's put a new elastic band there in a figure 8 dhape to put the pressure on. :cry:

[Edited on 5/1/2005 by Rebecca_C]
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: January 11, 2005 09:32
He's put a new elastic band there in a figure 8 dhape to put the pressure on.

Owies! Have you tried a minor pain killer pill? Something like Advil or Mortrin. That's what I used to do and it really helps.

I still don't bite into apples....
Rebecca_C
Send Message
on: January 19, 2005 03:15
I usually use paracetamol or asprain. (spelling problems!!) It's stopped hurting now, but that means it's not working. I think!!

Becky
Bealocwealm
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2005 08:49
whoo! go metal mouths!
i'll have had mine for a year in april.
Good news tho! i was originally schedualed to have another 16 months after that(16!!!:cry:.) but as of my last appointment they decided that i should be done by august! yay!.

food wise, i still eat almost everything i used to(i havent mastered apples tho). but i have only ever met one person who gave up all the things they tell you to.
Silmaure
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2005 06:37
I haven't gotten braces yet, but the sound horrible. I did have a pallet expander, brackets, and a retainer.

HerenyeofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2005 11:56
I recently got braces on a few weeks ago. The next day was very painful. It's sad how your mouth hurts so much that you can't chew the little fruit pieces in yogurt. My teeth aren't that bad, but I have a gap between my front teeth and according to my dentist "a slight overbite." But, I only have to live with them for a year! Already counting down the days
Rebecca_C
Send Message
on: March 22, 2005 03:29
HerenyeofRohan, it'll hurt for a few days after you get them tightened, but apart from that, forget them!

BTW, Bealocwealm, I'm the second person who doesn't drink coke and stuff. I do eat toffee though.

BlueSting
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 27, 2005 03:44
After a good 3 years my braces have been happily gone for around 6 months now. I had to wear nasty nasty headgear ugh. But now my teeth are nice and straight
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email