Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Beleg_Strongbow
Master marksman, and ancestor to that Greenleaf kid
Send Message
Post The Nightingale and the Marchwarden (OOC)
on: October 10, 2004 07:02
Hello!

This will be a Silmarillion based rpg centered around Beleg Cuthalion (Strongbow), the leader of the marchwardens of Doriath (and I think Beleriand in general) and of Luthien, daughter of Lord Thingol, king of the Sindar.

Essentially it is a forbidden romance/adventure/action story centered on Beleg and Luthien, but other things can happen too. All races are welcomed, but keep in mind that these characters are introduced in the late first age (before Beren came along), and this is when the rpg will be taking place. It is more than likely that hobbits were not really around at this time.

Some characters to think about (but NOT limited to) are Thingol, Melian, Mablung, other elves, dwarves, etc....I will be taking the title role of Beleg Cuthalion.

I am looking for serious roleplayers who can write at least two good paragraphs AND have some knowledge of the Silmarillion, or can at least fake it.

please pm me if you are interested!

[Edited on 10/10/2004 by Beleg_Strongbow]
ancalimeofnumenor
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Nightingale and the Marchwarden (OOC)
on: October 10, 2004 12:02
OOOOOO could I play Luthien? I've read the sil once, though most of it is kinda a blur now. However one of my fav parts is the story of Luthien and Beren so I am very familiar with her. Could I please? Unless you already had someone in mind... then I'll play somebody else.
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 13, 2004 09:14
Hey Bel! Checking in as you asked me to.
Beleg_Strongbow
Send Message
on: October 18, 2004 02:22
Welcome Vana and Ancalime!

Just to let you know that I'm still alive and kickin'; I just got back from Alabama for the weekend.

As far as I know, Vana's going to play Luthien, ancalime, but you can play whichever other character you please. Maybe even Beren too, as he might come along later. I had an idea that Beleg and Luthien stop their romance, and Beren comes along; so that would increase any animosity Beleg might have against Beren as he helps him find the Silmaril so Beren can wed Luthien. In essence, he's helping this man find a Silmaril in order to marry the elf he loves. Does this make sense?

anyways. I'll try to start up the rpg soon. If you have ANY ideas don't be afraid to post them!
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2004 11:39
Welcome back home, Bel! How was Alabama? *resists the urge to break out into 'Sweet Home Alabama'*

Yes, I'm playing Luthien, as far as I know, and I've been doing extra research on this fascinating character. She's something else...*snaps back to reality*. I think having it just before Beren comes along is a cool idea. Luthien will be kind of hesitant to love again, for whatever reason, thus why she initially runs from Beren. *grins* Can't wait till this begins!
Caegaraneva
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2004 01:56
Well, this sounds great!!!

I would love to play whoever is open! Thanks for the PM Beleg...I just can't resist a Bierce quoter.

Heya Tiana!

I'm sorry if my memory is failing me...but is Beleg really part of the Beren/Luthien story? I thought he was a companion of Turin's...I seem to remember a really tragic story where Turin wakes up and kills Beleg before he sees who it is...Is that the same person??? And if so, how exactly does he fit into the story of Beren and Luthien...

Ah...I just realized Turin is after Beren..at least in the book...is that why?

So I need a little refreshing, but I would love to be Thingol, or Huan, or Mablung, or someone made up, or even Beren...I've got a little catching up to do is all. Oooh...would there be a place for Daeron? I remember he struck me when I read it at first. Who do you need??

But yes...I can write solidly lengthed posts when I put my mind to it.

Boy...I've been wanting to do a sil. RP for so long, this oughta be REALLY cool.
Beleg_Strongbow
Send Message
on: October 19, 2004 06:04
yays!

welcome caegaraneva! please join us! You can be whomever you wish, and more than one character if you think you can manage lol.

Here's what I had in mind, in a nutshell: way before Beren or Turin came along, Beleg and Luthien start a little romance. Both are probably relatively young in elven years. So the romance happens, then it ends for some reason, then Beren comes along and such and the rest is Arda history. BUT, Beleg is still around. I don't remember all the details, but Beren is smitten with Luthien, and naturally Thingol isn't happy about that - Beren's just a simple man, not a high and mighty elf. So he gives Beren something impossible to do - find a Silmaril. And Beleg at one point helps him out. And other stuff happens. I'll have to read up on that again.

And yes, then after all that, when Beren and Luthien are resurrected and they have Dior together...centuries later, Turin comes along, and Beleg takes him under his wing, and again the rest is Arda history.

The idea is that this thread would be a elaboration (is that a word?) on what happened during that time.

I hope this helped!
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2004 09:02
Hey Harrison! Welcome to this thread!

Sil threads really are the funnest because you have a whole lot more loopholes to work in and through, which makes my writer's self sit up and drool.

Bel, I recal seeing Beleg once in the Luthien story when I was re-reading it yesterday, but I didn't see him helping him. we can change *that*, though. I think it would make loads of sense to bring Beleg into the story more fully (and yes, elaboration is a usable word).
Beleg_Strongbow
Send Message
on: October 20, 2004 01:21
I'm pretty sure Beleg's in the story someplace, Vana. He didn't have a huge part, but his name was mentioned. I found this summary someplace:

After the siege of Angband many of the Grey-Elves fled to Doriath the kingdom of Melian and Thingol, soon Morgoth attacked again overthrowing the sons of Farafin. The world of Beleraind was in peril and when the people of Haleth from the Forest of Brethil (namely Halmir) called for aid from Doriath, Beleg Strongbow lead a group of Sindar armed with axes into Brethil and caught the Orc-legions in their grasp – smiting them without abandon. Bringing peace to the land the people of Brethil lived in peace for many years.

After the huge evil wolf Carcharoth ate the Silmaril and ran onto Menegorth, Beleg along with, Huan the Hound of Valinor, Mablung, Beren and even King Thingol rode out on the Hunting of the Wolf. As they passed over the River Esgalduin Luthien felt a shadow pass over her in an evil omen. The Hunters came upon the wolf in a dark valley before a great waterfall but the cunning creature hid, so the Hunters set up a guard and waited for the creature to attack. All except Huan who had spied Carcharoth in the thicket and went in for the attack but seeing his enemy Carcharoth attacked Thingol instead – leaping forward Beren stabbed the great beast to distract him whilst Huan leapt from behind. Beleg and Mablung quickly came to the aid of Thingol but upon seeing Beren’s injuries and the body of Huan they threw aside their spears and wept. The three hunters raised Beren Camlost upon a bier, Huan alongside him and took him to Menegroth where Luthien was waiting.

so that's the part i was babbling about before.

I'm gonna start the rp, folks; i don't want to hold us up any longer! Look in TT!

Telemnar
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2004 06:13
Hello there!

This looks really interesting, and I was wondering if I could join. If I can, I'd like to play Mablung please. He's actually my favorite character from the Silmarillion.
Beleg_Strongbow
Send Message
on: October 21, 2004 07:03
Welcome Telemnar!

yes, please join us! Mablung is all yours to play. All that I ask of you (and everyone else too) is that you roleplay maturely, know a good deal of the Sil, and at least give us a couple of paragraphs. If there are any ideas or whatnot, don't be afraid to post them here.

Also, if any of you know the Sil's timeline well (or at all lol), I'm trying to figure when Beleg first leads the Sindar with axes alongside Haleth's people, AND when Luthien is born and such.

[Edited on 21/10/2004 by Beleg_Strongbow]
NellasTaralom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 21, 2004 02:30
This sounds really interesting!
roleplay maturely, know a good deal of the Sil, and at least give us a couple of paragraphs.

That's fine with me I'm really familiar with the Sil. If you think its okay, I'd really like to join! I'll be Melian, but I'd rather be Galadriel if we can fit her into the plot. What do you think?

[Edited on 22/10/2004 by NellasTaralom]
Beleg_Strongbow
Send Message
on: October 21, 2004 03:13
Welcome Nellas!

I'm glad you want to join. I'm not sure if Galadriel was in or near Doriath at this time...wasn't she of Noldorin origin too? And I'm not sure if Celeborn was of Sindar origin. If he is, then perhaps you could be able to play Galadriel - hanging out with Celeborn or something, lol. If I remember correctly, there is some hostility between Noldor and Sindar at this time - stuff about Feanor and how crazy he got.

Personally I'd rather you'd play Melian-- but if you think you can find a good way to insert Galadriel in there someplace, then she's all yours.
Telemnar
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 21, 2004 06:48
Thank you letting me join, Beleg!

Also, if any of you know the Sil's timeline well (or at all lol), I'm trying to figure when Beleg first leads the Sindar with axes alongside Haleth's people, AND when Luthien is born and such.

I'm not sure when Beleg first leads the Sindar, but I do have some information on the birth of Luthien. Everything I have seen about her agrees that she was born in the Age of Stars, in the Years of the Trees. This would be when Melkor was chained, and it would be about the same time that the first of the Eldar were arriving in Valinor. Some online Tolkien encylopedias and other websites even give an estimate of the year of her birth: 1200 of the Years of the Trees. Since it's estimated that the Years of Trees lasted about 1500 years, Luthien might have been about 300 when the first age began.

I'm not sure if Galadriel was in or near Doriath at this time

Galadriel did in fact send much of her time in Doriath, while Melian was still there anyway. After Thingol learned of the Kinslaying she left for a time to Nargothrond, but later came back. It was to Galadriel that Melian confided she forsaw the comming of Beren.

Hope this helps you!
Beleg_Strongbow
Send Message
on: October 22, 2004 08:58
Brilliant! We can use all of that!

Thanks Telemnar!
Caegaraneva
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 23, 2004 08:53
I am still not sure who I should be, but I like Daeron a lot.

He's a minstrel of Thingols court who writes and plays the music for Luthien to sing and dance to, and falls in love with her..and all it says in the silmarillion is that he wandered off in grief around the time that Beren and Luthien went to get the Silmaril. I don't know if you really want yet another guy in love with Luthien tho...

Otherwise, I could play Thingol, if nobody has it...

Just wondering...whos playing Beren?? He's pretty important right?

[Edited on 23/10/2004 by Caegaraneva]
Beleg_Strongbow
Send Message
on: October 24, 2004 04:25
No one's playing Beren or Thingol yet, I don't think.

As far as I know, Beren's not even born or thought of at this point, so it'd be a while until you got to play him. But I think Daeron is a great idea too.

I've seen many a good rp die because the players were a bit too anal about things. I'm not saying that *you* are Caeragneava, but what I'm trying to say is that the key is to not think too hard about whom you're going to play - just to have fun with it, ya know?

The rp's already started, jsyk, in TT.

[Edited on 24/10/2004 by Beleg_Strongbow]
Telemnar
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 24, 2004 08:46
Just giving a heads up here... I'm getting a different computer, and just might have some trouble connecting to the internet for awhile. So if I don't post for some time you'll know what happened.
Caegaraneva
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 24, 2004 02:03
Alright, I'l start with Daeron and see what happens. I can always just send him off into the wilderness to die if it's not working out.
Telemnar
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2004 08:31
Hi there! I appolgise for not posting in the TT thread yet. My real life kept getting in the way of my CoE life. I'll try to get a good post off tomorrow, though!
Beleg_Strongbow
Send Message
on: October 29, 2004 06:21
Not a problem, I understand completely. Welcome back!

Beleg_Strongbow
Send Message
on: November 04, 2004 05:55
Um, hello?

Is there anybody in there?

[/pink floyd]

Just wanted to let you guys know that the following week is going to be a little crazy for me (college and such)...so if i'm not around that's why...
Telemnar
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 05, 2004 09:10
I'm still here. I did have a bad case of writer's block for awhile but I finally got over it and posted in the TT thread.
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2004 11:20
I is here. I've been having problems with my internet lately, and my beau has been taking up a lot of my time when I am somewhere where I can use the 'net. It's no excuse, I know, but I'm still here.
Telemnar
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 19, 2004 08:28
And I'm still around too. Don't know if I'll be able to post before next week though (I'm in a theatre play the whole weekend).
Caegaraneva
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 20, 2004 04:34
Ya, I'm here too...I have no excuse, just studying and working; I will try to be more active in the future.

What play? I am a big theatre geek.
Telemnar
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2004 05:41
Is everyone still around? Nothing's been going on in the TT thread for awhile now...

Oh Caegaraneva, I forgot all about your question! I doubt you've ever heard of this particular play before, it's a mystery/comedy called Three Murders on a Monday. Incidentally, I love the way you portray Daeron!
Caegaraneva
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2004 12:54
Ah, sounds good...did you enjoy your role?

Well I'm here but at a loss of what to post. I should probably take another character or two. I think the problem I'm having is seeing how this fits together yet. I could go off and be an orc and fight with Beleg, or be a marchwarden, or something...but then Luthien and Mablung seem to be sitting around doing nothing. I think maybe its time for dinner with Luthien and Beleg and I'll be brainstorming furiously for something I could make happen other than.. "Waiter brings Fish with Sauce".
Beleg_Strongbow
Send Message
on: December 09, 2004 06:21
yeah i'm still here too. finals have reared their ugly head at my school, sorry.

um...Beleg left to go fight orcs, actually. but there's nothing a little editing or typing won't fix.

and yeah. any ideas, please let us know.
Telemnar
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2004 05:31
Hi everyone! Don't worry about Mablung having nothing to do, I plan to get him into some trouble once Beleg leaves.
um...Beleg left to go fight orcs, actually. but there's nothing a little editing or typing won't fix.

So, does this mean that Beleg is skipping dinner with Luthien to do some scouting and fighting? If you decide to do the dinner first, I do have a few ideas that might be usable.

Oh yeah, I was wondering if we could have some interaction between Mablung and Daeron. The Silmarillion says that when the Noldor held the great feast of Mereth Aderthad, Mablung and Daeron were the only elves from Doriath to come, bringing greetings from their king. This seems to indicate, to me at least, that these two were friends, or at least knew each other quite well.
Beleg_Strongbow
Send Message
on: December 14, 2004 08:35
suilad,

Beleg's not skipping, as my post shows. although he is skipping his mission, lol. So Telemnar, what are your ideas?

The Mablung and Daeron friendship sounds plausible; I like it. Good research! lol
Beleg_Strongbow
Send Message
on: December 19, 2004 12:45
yeah, um...okay.

call me impatient. but i'm thinking about pulling the plug. soon.
Telemnar
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2004 08:18
Oh, so sorry I didn't post here before. The pre-Christmas season has kept me really busy. Actually, all the good ideas that I had for the dinner have already been used now, or are useless. I'll work on more though. Oh, is Daeron present there, or not?
Beleg_Strongbow
Send Message
on: December 20, 2004 05:14
yeah i figured it was Christmas stuff.

sure, Daeron's there, i don't see why not. And I still want to hear your ideas.
Caegaraneva
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2004 05:39
Yeah sorry about taking soo long, I am about ready to post now. Do you mind an out-of-nowhere plot addition?
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email