Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Not wargs...but the elder wolves...free
on: February 09, 2005 12:33
At Larka's growl and Dante's warning Flynn left the girl-human, He slunk out of the cave, this was all new to him, there were still many of the pack to meet, and much to be learned, It would take some time.
The human was obviously not going to move for some time, so Flynn wandered off to explore this new world and hunt, the pangs of hunger strong.
He stopped before disappearing into the forest,to look over his shoulder. With a short bark he invited any others to come with him.
Flynn did not know if Dante permitted free hunting in his pack, Flynn as the alpha of his own had allowed adult males and a few selected females to free hunt at times, especially in lean times when all food brought back was valuable.
He did not bother to wait to see if any had followed, he had the scent of a deer, he was off moving silently in his fluid feline pace, the fire of the hunt in his amber eyes and soul.
A young deer leapt from its cover, Flynn gave chase, the deer was fast, it leapt and bounded over ditches and fallen trees leading Flynn on a difficult chase,
Flynn was still not up to his full strength, he tired, and slowed to a trot, panting hard, He had lost his prize.
A rabbit made easy prey, Flynn shook and tossed it before killing it with a snap of his jaws,
He was too tired even to eat the rabbit, he lay at the base of a tall tree, his head resting on his paws,dozing, He wondered idly if any other had followed,
Flynn missed his mate deeply, his cubs he dare not think of,He missed the familiar voices of his own pack as they had greeted him on his return to the den.
Dante and his pack were his pack now, but they were not of his blood, their bond with each other close in family love.
Flynn suddenly felt very alone.
He knew he must return to the cave soon,"Just a little longer" he thought, "A little longer to dream of what once was",
wavecaller
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 09, 2005 12:04
Kyleigh gradually woke up and opened one eye to see where she was. She saw that she was in the entrance of a long cave. Dozens of wolves roamed throughout the clearing in front of her. Some of them looked a bit unhappy as they looked at her, but none were actually hostile. She saw the white wolf and the pack leader sitting at the far edge of the clearing. The russet wolf was nowhere to be seen, but she noticed a few of his hairs and a few small rips in her sleeve. He must have been near her earlier. She looked back into the cave and saw that a wolf was sitting in front of her cubs of looking rather unhappy about Kyleigh's presence.
Kyliegh managed to lever herself up onto one arm with a grunt. She opened the flap of her pack and pulled out a wrapped packet of journey bread and dried fruit. She pulled her flask of water off of her belt and used it to dip the bread in. She noticed that the wound on her leg had closed and stopped bleeding. The surface of the would looked oddly smooth, probably because of the mysterious wolf saliva. She kept eating her food and tried not to feel too nervous as different wolves kept glancing her way with fear and suspicion. Kyleigh wasn't sure how to solve the problem, but she needed to gain the wolves' trust if she was going to be staying for a while. She wouldn't be able to walk a long way for at least a few weeks.
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2005 07:07
Louve settled down, finally allowing herself to doze. Now that Dante had ordered the pack to leave the human girl alone, she knew that none of the wolves would dare touch her. She curled up, her nose touching her tail, not far from where the two-footer lay. For a while, she slept, dreaming of the hunt, the smell of fresh meat strong in her nose. Yet even as she slept, her well formed ears turned continuously, monitoring the area around her for the slightest sound. Her slumbering brain automatically discarded the familiar sounds of the pack coming and going, Inari's pups suckling contentedly, and the sigh of the wind in the trees. But when the she-human finally stirred, the sound penetrated the part of her brain that was never fully asleep, and she sat up at once.

In the dimness, she could see the two-footer sitting up awkwardly, gazing around at the many wolves both inside the den and in the clearing outside with astonishement. The girl froze for a second, but then seemed to realize that none of the wolves were threatening her in any way. Louve watched as she then gingerly touched the deep gash on her leg, appearing surprised when she noted that it had already begun to heal. Louve's amber eyes followed every moment as the human girl reached into a pack, and retrieved food and water from it.

Louve's eyes narrowed, as she realized for the first time that taking on responsibility for the girl would also mean the pack would have to feed her to keep her alive. Clearly, the two-footer wasn't going to be able to move without help for some time, so the wolves would have to nourish her somehow. From observing groups of hunters, Louve knew that humans did eat meat, but never raw: For some unknown reason, they insisted on burning it in those fire pits they always built at night. Louve bristled a little at the thought: All wolves instinctively avoided fire. The hunters often used it as a weapon to burn a pack out of their den, and once started, a brushfire could run rampant through the forest, killing all in it's path. So what else did two-footers eat? They consumed various vegetal matter, she remembered, but no wolf knew anything about what plants were edible. Also, grains and other strange foods which appeared to be made with grains such as the substance the girl was biting into now. So how was the pack to feed her?

Standing silently, Louve padded softly over to where the girl was sitting, curious to learn more about what she was eating. She delicately sniffed the strange squashy thing the human held in one hand and eyed the odd water holder she clasped in the other. Well, at least water wouldn't be a problem, she thought: Any wolf could easily carry the water container to the stream, holding it in their mouth by the strap, and refill it. She would have to speak to Dante about the rest.

Louve eyed the she-human once more, taking her in from head to toe: She appeared younger than Louve had thought at first glance. Probably in her first years of adulthood just as Ivory was, with a lot more growing to do. Surprising herself as much as the girl, Louve gave her a quick, tender lick on the cheek before turning to exit the den. She had always had a soft spot for younguns and this girl brought out her protective instincts.

Entering the clearing, she immediately spied Dante as he sat on the highest rise, surveying his pack and the surrounding forest, looking deep in thought. Beside him, Ivory sat, leaning only slightly as she put the least amount of weight on her injured side. Louve marveled again at the proud young wolf Ivory had become: It seemed only yesterday, the tiny white ball of fur had been yapping at her heels. Louve panted affectionately as Ivory met her eyes. Approaching quietly, so as not to disturb the leader, she lowered herself calmly to the ground before him, indicating that she would wait until he was ready to acknowledge her presence.
Faòlan
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2005 07:49
*Dante cut his his eyes from the woods down at Louve. He nodded at her with a grunt of approval. He didnt' bash her with the dominence he might with a young wolf. Louve was one of the elders of the pack and of high status. He stared back at the woods again for awhile before speaking. Finally he said, "Humans..." Ivory jumped up and bristled. Louve jerked a little too. "Calm down," Dante growled softly.

"They are yet very far. But they are many and they are angry. No doubt they realized their missing kin, the hunters. I am afraid they are massing to hunt us down. I do not want to move from this den but I fear we might have to. I want whatever is safe for the pups." Ivory sat back down wincing. She wondered how her father could tell there were humans. He must have an amazing nose, she thought. Dante became silent again, waiting for any input Louve would have.**
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2005 12:45
A leaf fluttered to land on Flynn's nose, It woke him from his dreams, He stood slowly, stretching his long legs, he shook leaves from his long russet coat, then settled to eat the rabbit,his first meal in days.
He ate half, the other he hid, he would find it later, now, instead of returning to the den, he wanted to explore.
He set off at an easy pace a graceful run, listening to the wild calls, sniffing the exciting new scents, he ranged a great distance , enjoying the freedom.
Ever watchful and cautious, he reached a rocky outcrop as darkness began to fall, Flynn leapt onto a large boulder and drank thirstlily from rainwater in a hollow inthe rock.
He lifted his head suddenly, he had caught the sound and scent of human and dogs.
Flynn crept low, to look down into a clearing, Hunters had set camp at the river, they had many skins hung , fox, wildcat and one grey Elder wolf ,Flynn judged from its size it must have been an alpha male.
He growled a deep low growl as he watched them,laughing amongst themselves, their huge dogs snarling and squabbling over scraps.
They were a half day away from the den, Flynn ran, fast and low, he must warn Dante.
He stopped only briefly to collect the half rabbit.
It was very late when he returned to the den, He approached cautiously, amber eyes glowing in the moonlight,he was still wary of the pack, and he feared an attack.
Flynn crept stealthily into the cave, he found Kyleigh sleepng, he crawled to where she lay and dropped the mangled rabbit on her chest, he had given her the best half that contained the heart and liver, as a peace offering.
with an anixous look around, he slunk out of the cave to find Dante , Larka or Louve. The pack must be warned.
Flynn moved silently , in his search,ever watching nervously for other pack members, who may see him as an intruder in the dark.
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2005 04:31
Humans... Louve couldn't help bristling at the mere word. Turning her magnificent head this way and that, she surveyed the surrounding forest, her senses alert for any sign of the approaching warriors, and yet she felt nothing. Louve sighed: From experience, she knew that Dante's sixth sense was more highly developed than that of most wolves. If he said humans were approaching, that meant that he had seen it in the special way with his mind. Louve didn't doubt for an instant that Dante was right.

So what were the options? She thought carefully, considering. Years ago, the pack had dug a long tunnel through the back of the main cave of the den, all the way to the other side of the large hill. They had left the final few yards of dirt intact, so as not to reveal the tunnel, but maintained it in case it needed to be used as an escape route. Only a few instants of digging would allow the pack to exit the den on the far side of the hill.

But, to date, no human had discovered the pack's den and the clearing around the caves afforded protection from any dangerous fires the humans might set in an effort to burn the wolves out. Surely their best chance was to remain on familiar territory. The only real question was whether to hide the entire pack within the den in the hopes that they humans would not find them, or if the warrior wolves should leave the rest of the pack and meet the humans face to face on a battleground far from the helpless cubs. Louve conveyed her thoughts to Dante and Ivory.

A sudden growl alerted her to the approach of another creature: Several of the sentinels bristled fully as fiery eyes appeared suddenly out of the now darkened forest. But Louve recognized the glint of russet in the gleam of the moonlight and told the sentinels to stand aside. This was the wolf who had fought alongside her earlier, and Dante had temporarily accepted him into the pack. Besides, she thought, if they were to battle the humans again so soon with several of their own warriors still freshly injured, they would need every able bodied wolf to help.
wavecaller
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2005 12:07
Kyleigh woke up and brushed a freshly killed rabbit off her chest with a slight smile. There was no way she could eat the raw and bloody thing. She glanced around the clearing. Many of the wolves were bristling, but they were not looking at her. They seemed alert to another danger, something out in the woods. Kyleigh lifted her head and for an instant she thought she smelled a cooking fire. She shook her head at the odd thought. Any cooking fire close enough for her to smell would also be close enough to see. She looked at the head wolf and saw that he seemed to be smelling something that was making him bristle in anger.
Kyleigh frowned to herself. If she was somehow picking up shreds of thoughts from a wolf, perhaps she could learn to hear more. She focused her thoughts inward and then tried to feel a connection to the nearest wolf. This time she saw a log through the eyes of the wolf for just a moment. She spent a while refining the sense of connection and discovered that it worked best when she kept her own eyes closed. The minds of the wolves seemed to move at a different pace and with a completely different view from any human. She had never felt the mind of a human, but the minds of the wolves felt fierce and bright, yet soft at the same time, unlike anything she had ever known. After nearly an hour of effort, she managed to move her mind into a better connection with the mind of the pack-leader. She spent a moment smelling what he did and then tried to send a thought. ::Greetings, pack-leader. I do not know how I managed to find the way into the minds of you and your pack, but it may help all of us. I am sorry to have intruded on your minds, but I smelled humans as you did. I may be able to help you drive them off, but I cannot do anything alone. If you are willing to accept my help and will hear my thoughts, then I believe that your pack may be kept safe.:: Kyleigh saw the pack-leader's head snap up in astonishment as he heard the thought. She bowed her head toward the pack leader and tried to ignore the thundering of her heart.
Faòlan
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2005 05:01
*Dante whirled around the minute he felt the girl's inner presence. His fur was on end and his teeth were bared. He had never felt such presence from anything but a wolf. It was different, new. He eased up realizing it was only the girl. In his thoughts he growled, "Stay out!" Dante immediately felt a bit bad. He turned his back on the girl and continued to talk with the wolves. "Louve, the girl wishes to help. I don't know that she is able, but perhaps she could be a diversion or something. I ask that you speak with her on this when you have a chance." The strain in Dante's voice could be heard on the word "speak." He noticed Flynn had returned. "Flynn," Dante growled softly. "Your face tells me you have seen something. What?"

Ivory watched as the old ones talked about a plan of action. She knew she would ahve no say so she stood and walked back into the cave. She saw the girl sitting there. Tired but looking better. Ivory pricked her ears seeing the remnants of a rabbit on the ground near her. Ivory walked over to the girl and sat before her, eyes occasionally darting to the rabbit. "So, two-legged, I heard you talking to my father with your round head. You ought not do that. He doesn't even let me in there. Only the old ones are allowed to mind talk." Ivory's soft voice and choice of words proved her youth. So, there are people out there that we will have to kill. You dont' mind killing your own kind? Mother says you two leggeds kill your own all the time. I didn't believe her or understand it til i saw you doing it from your tree perch. Wolves don't kill their own kind unless defending or protecting...."

A disapproving growl from the nearby Larka meant for Ivory not to spill out the whole wolf way to this human. Ivory looked at her mother and glared. Larka laid her ears back and bared her teeth. Ivory immediately pinned her ears to the side of her head and wagged her tail as she limped over to her mother. "Just poking fun, mother. " Ivory said as she licked her mother's chin in submission. Though Larka knew Ivory wasn't completely joking. Ivory was growing quickly and becoming headstrong. She would soon not be submissive at all. It was in her blood. Larka licked her daughter's cheek and then rose. Ivory sat down with a fussy growl. "Are you going to go join in on the planning with the other old ones?" Larka nodded and began to walk off. "Yes, I a pup. And I am not that old," Larka finished with her own fussy growl as she left the den.

Ivory shook her head and waited til her mother was out of the den before mumbling, " Are too..." Ivory then turned her attention back to the girl, and the rabbit. She rose and limped quickly over to the rabbit and snagged it. She then went over to where her mother was laying and began ripping it up. A few of Inari's pups had waddled over and were inspecting the meat. They began to chew and growl and tug. Ivory laid back her ears and bared her teeth at the little wolves that were beginning to surround her. One pup started trying to pull the meat away and Ivory shoved him with her muzzle. The pup let out a little yelp as he barrel rolled across the den floor. Within a split second, Inari was over Ivory snarling and bristling. Ivory rolled on her back exposing soft snowy belly fur to Inari. Ivory wagged her tail as she slowly cowered away from Inari. "Ok, ok," she grumbled. "I didn't want it anyway." Ivory began to make her way out of the den. In her mind she thought in anger, "One day I will be Alpha and they will roll over to me! Who do they think they are....."**
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2005 07:39
Lowering his head and tail, Flynn crept low towards Dante, ears flatened, he rememered his place.
"I have ranged far since day began", Flynn admitted his sin, "at dusk I came across hunters" he could not supress a snarl as he spoke the word, "They camp at the river below the cliffs,not half a day's journey from here, There are many, and they have dogs, they hunt not just wildcat and fox", Flynn growled, a low rumble deep in his chest, "They have killed one of our kind".
Amber eyes full of fire dared to look up into wise ,stern yellow."If it be your wish, then I ask that you permit me to lead a raiding pack of some of your strongest wolves, so that the evil may be destroyed before they reach here," Flynn's amber gaze still held Dante's yellow, "Or at least let me follow you to their destruction",
Flynn lowered his gaze as he turned to slink away "I await your decision, They may have destroyed my life but I shall never allow them to destroy yours".
Flynn saw and heard the commotion over the rabbit, he saw Ivory sitting on her own angry and ruffled.
He smiled inwardly as he loped into the bushes silently.emerging with a mouthful of brown feathers,a partridge he had snatched roosting on a low branch.
Flynn approached Ivory slowly , fully aware of her status.
He dropped the bird at her paws, "This delicacy is much more befitting for the daughter of the alphas, rabbit is for cubs and the old who are not fast enough for more swifter game".
Flynn sat watching her with glowing amber eyes, his long thick coat shining ruby fire in the moonlight, "You have the makings of a great leader, I see it in you,but there is much to learn and much experience to gain before you can become a leader of a powerful pack." He could feel the frustrated anger in her, she was as headstrong as he still was.
"I can , if you wish it ,teach and guide you in the crafts I am most skilled in, Your parents and the older wolves teach you well I know, but your father has many responsibilities and many worries in these troubled days , he perhaps has not the time. If you permit it I shall teach you the different skills of my pack, who no longer live ,It shall enhance your knowledge".
Flynn put his head on one side, "I could teach you to hunt as silently and as stealthily as a cat", He looked at the partridge, "They are easy prey when you know how".
Flynn lay down, his head resting on his paws, he guarded her meal from greedy cubs that may try to take it again, He could see himself in this white wolf, he no longer had young of his own to teach,Ivory would be an excellent pupil he knew it.
"I leave the choice to you" Flynn lay, one ear turned back in Dante's direction . He awaited the great wolf leader's decision.

[Edited on 17/2/2005 by elflyn]
Faòlan
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2005 08:37
OOC-Hey guys. Sorry I am going to be out next week with no access to a computer. Ya'll can continue on if ya like and play my characters. Just to keep things moving along. If they decide to delete this thread then I will start up in the monkey site. Although I didn't get a notice saying this thread would be deleted. I guess we will see...

*Dante listened to Flynn like a stone. Never moving and blinking occasionally. As Flynn crept away he continued to think for a while. Larka and Louve were nearby. Dante looked at them and spoke, " I know in the past that no human has ever found our den. It is the dogs that worry me. They have what little wolf they have not lost. They can kill cubs as easily as men. There are many of them. What future will there be for the cubs if we are all dead. I say we move and cut across country to find a temporary den. We can return here when the present danger is gone. I ask your counsel as elders and mothers."

Ivory was laying out away from the others, grumbling to herself. Her head jerked up quickly as Flynn approached her dropping a bird. Her ears were perked as she watched him. He was ragged and scarred, but she knew he must have been leader. She was beginning to take a liking to him. And then he said,

"there is much to learn and much experience to gain before you can become a leader of a powerful pack."

Great, he is just like all the other stuffy old ones. But she heard him out. As he began to walk off she yipped, "Ok," When he was goneto lay down she turned her attention back to the bird. She smelled its sweet aroma and fresh warmth. She looked around and then held down the bird with her paw and began ripping out feathers. Feathers of ever color flew every where and fluttered to the ground around her. It didn't take her long to get to the meaty breast of the bird. Her white teeth gnashed and rippep like knives as she ate.*
Faòlan
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2005 09:04
bump...hehe i just dont like bein on the third thread it is open to one of ya ll to post. Wave I hoped I answered all you needed. If not whisper me again.
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 27, 2005 12:48
Louve was startled when Dante bristled suddenly, and appeared to be speaking to the she-human. Was it possible that this two-footer could really communicate with the elder wolves? Louve had heard tales of special humans who had the ability to make themselves understood by the large carnivores. Could this girl be one of them, Louve wondered. If so, then she certainly would have to be taught the proper ways: No one was allowed to intrude in the leader's mind, and the girl would have to learn her proper place.

Louve listened attentively to Dante's plan: Certainly, his point about the dogs was a good one. While the pack could easily escape humans by traveling through the underground tunnels where no two-footer could keep up, a well trained pack of dogs could do irreparable harm to the youngest and weakest of the pack and follow them anywhere they went, matching their speed. "I agree," she said, thoughtfully. "If we wait much longer, it may be too late. I think we should dig through the dirt at the other end of the den and escape into the hills before the humans and their dogs get anywhere near this clearing."

Having spoken her piece, Louve awaited the other elders' opinion. An older wolf named Bitsai stepped forward. He had been leader two generations ago and was greatly respected by all of the pack. "Dante speaks true," he said in his gruff tone. "It has happened before: the young of a pack wiped out by dogs, and the pack dying, hunted, driven always farther from their own lands. It takes great courage to lead one's pack into unknown territory, and Dante is a fearless leader. I, for one, will follow him gladly for the sake of the pack." His muzzle glinted silver as he spoke and his ancient eyes shone with memories. Louve crouched slightly, submissively, to indicate her great respect for the former leader and her agreement with his words.

From the corner of her eye, as she waited for Larka to speak her own opinion, Louve kept a small portion of her awareness focused on Ivory. The older wolf missed nothing: Flynn's conversation and his gift of the partridge which Ivory quickly accepted. Despite Dante's temporary acceptance of the handsome russet, Louve felt extremely protective of Ivory and she made a mental note to tell Ivory not to go off alone with the newcomer, especially not with humans and dogs so near.

Another piece of her awareness was on the human girl, not far away in the den. If the pack escaped, what would become of her? Surely the humans would quickly realize that she was the source of the strange arrows that had killed so many of their own. And if the dogs ranged ahead, they would rip her from head to toe, before their masters even approached. No, Louve decided, they would somehow have to transport the two-footer with them. Could she ride a wolf the way humans rode horses, she wondered? Perhaps, if the pack took turns, they could transport the human on their own backs. Certainly she was neither large nor heavy, Louve mused. She had had no trouble earlier transporting the unconscious girl from the forest to the clearing. But would the girl understand her intent? Louve decided that she would attempt mental communication with her as soon as the elders' meeting was finished.
wavecaller
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 27, 2005 03:34
Kyleigh felt tears sting the back of her eyes at the backlash and anger from the head wolf's mental reply and the white wolf asking in her growling voice if she didn't mind killing her own kind. The white wolf explained that wolves never killed their kind except in defense. She hadn't wanted to kill others, but the wolves had needed help and she had made her choice. Kyleigh would not be welcome among humans again once people learned what she had done. One of her distinctively carved arrows had broken as she shot it into a hunter, and there were several traders who knew what they looked like. Everyone would learn what had happened, and relatives or friends of the dead hunters would kill her on sight. She blinked rapidly and shifted her weight to make the wound more comfortable. Now was no time to cry, and she would not try to make the wolves feel guilty. The choice had been entirely hers, and she could have killed the wolves instead and made herself a hero. There was no one to blame. She moved her mind about very gently and managed to hear some of the wolf council making decisions. Apparently they wanted to dig through the den and escape into the hills. Kyleigh frowned thoughtfully. The pack might be safe, but there would be no way for her to get out unless a wolf carried her again, and she didn't think that most of them liked her any more. I wonder... she thought.
Kyleigh moved her mind out again, but this time she shifted out of the clearing and narrowed the probe of her mind to look to the skies. With a sudden shock, she felt herself with a hawk. The feel of flight was glorious, but she didn't know how long she would be able to stay so she concentrated on seeing what it did. She looked down at the clearing and the hunters and then cast her sight farther around. There was a smaller party approaching the den from another angle, but there was still a wide area free of humans where the wolves could go to find a new den in a forest farther away from human settlements. Most people didn't like to hunt more than a week away from the nearest village because of bandits or wild beasts.
Kyleigh freed her mind from the hawk and drifted back to her own body as she thought of what to do. The wolves might be safe if they left, but they would need more time to escape. Many of the hunters had horses, and both parties of hunters had packs of dogs. The party of hunters that the wolves did not know about was downwind, so they would need a warning before the hunters showed up to ensure that they moved in the right direction. She smiled slightly as the meeting of wolves broke up and one wolf walked toward her. She did not know what the final decision was, but she had a few ideas of her own about what she would do while the wolves left.
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 28, 2005 04:25
As Dante had requested Louve made mental contact with the two-footer: Hunters were coming, and the pack would be leaving soon. What would the human do?

[Edited on 8/3/2005 by GwennethSindalúnë]
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 28, 2005 08:40
Flynn lay watching Ivory disappear under a fountain of feathers, He sat up and began to groom his long russet coat, nibbling out knots and tangles , he took a pride in his appearance, He had rested well, and regained lost strength,still a little underweight,but he was now at his alpha power.
He turned to look at Dante and the elders, they seemed to still be deep in conversation.
Flynn still felt the outsider, he knew that he could never become fully one of the pack,he was here temporarily,Dante granting him sanctuary because he had helped the pack once,
He wondered what would be his fate when Dante no longer allowed him this grace, when the great wolf leader would drive him away.
He knew that he had no hope of survival on his own, and no chance of finding a mate to begin another pack, he would always be the lone russet wolf.
He noticed Louve with the girl human, Flynn was pleased that the girl lived. Louve seemed to mindspeak with her, Flynn could not believe it. that was for wolfkind to wolfkind only.He shook his head as he turned again to look at Dante. "why do they take so long!?" Flynn was anxious, he had seen the might of the hunters and was desperate to do something.He knew much was at stake.
He turned back to Ivory, he leapt forward, head low, tail high as he invited her to a game of tag,The game to take his mind off his fears.
"Game?" eager amber eyes invited emerald to a rough amd tumble game.Yet half of his mind kept watch for danger and the movement that told of adecision.
Faòlan
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2005 08:12
*Ivory looked up from what was left of the bird she had been eating at the russet wolf. Inviting her to a game? He looked so old but did not act it one bit. Maybe he was just tired. Ivory licked a bit of blood off her muzzle and stood slowly to face the big red wolf. She pricked her ears forward and raised her tail. She began to take slow steps towards him. Suddenly she leapt, hitting the russet and the two tumbled on the ground disturbing a bit of dust.

Dante nodded as Bitsai came up and said his piece. Dante respected the grizzled old wolf hwo had taught him many things as a growing wolf. Dante then turned his eyes to Larka who had recently padded up and sat down. He then looked into the entrance of the den, where Ivory and the Flynn played. Dante froze for a moment then stood up with his head high. "We must dig out and escape, for the pups. Larka, help the mothers with their pups. Tell Louve and Ivory too. The rest will aid me in digging out the back." Bitsai and Larka nodded as they all made their way back into the den. Dante saw the human girl sitting there. He knew she was upset. He could feel it. As he walked past her he spoke to her mind.

"You are just a pup who learned a lesson today. Don't get upset about it, get over it. You come into my mind when called upon. You didn't know, but now you do. Now, think no more of it pup You need your strength to make the trip to a new den with us."**.

[Edited on 2/3/2005 by Faòlan]
wavecaller
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2005 07:26
((OOC: The flashback mental sequence was pretty good and it mostly matched my character description, but please read my profile if you want to do something like that again. For example, Kyleigh partly stays away from people because her face got smashed up by a wild swing of a drunk's club. I'm explaining why the wolf didn't see that, so you don't have to edit. I liked it, though, and it works well with who Kyleigh is. Thanks!))

Kyleigh felt the flow of images pour in and out of her mind. She felt vulnerable as the wolf saw the scenes of her childhood tears and the death of her mother soon after she left home. She felt one image connected to her mother's death that she always kept to herself flowing up, but she managed to suppress it and keep it from leaving her own mind. The smashing of her face had made her an outcast, and it had made the possibility of marriage vanish almost overnight. She had been barely sixteen. Her mother had been sorrowful about the blow and had felt even worse when Kyleigh left home to avoid the constant pitying glances of her old friends. The experience might have created a gap in the images, but she would not share it with anyone. The wolves may not have seen human females up close before, and she did not need their pity about the difference. The experience hidden securely, she focused on the life of the wolf. Singing songs to the sky, finding a mate, raising cubs. Kyleigh smiled to herself at their bouncy antics and silly games. Images continued to flash. Running across the countryside, hunting in the snow, chasing down prey, guiding the young white wolf she had seen earlier. The images simply flowed, and Kyleigh took a deep breath as the images ended and the wolf asked if she would find a new den with the pack.
The pack leader came by and told her to move on and learn from the experience instead of moping because she needed her strength. Kyleigh took a deep breath and spoke slowly aloud. "There is something you need to know first. Another group of hunters with fresh hounds and horses approaches from another direction. If you go the wrong way, you will be caught between the groups and you will not be able to escape." She drew a quick map on the ground and the wolves sniffed in interest. "Here is your den, and here is the first hunting party. Here is the second hunting party. You need to go here." She drew an arrow pointing down the clear path of escape.
"However, one party still might catch you, and you need a little extra time. I can provide that and still escape to you if you can spend but a few minutes helping me before you go. There is a stream running through your den, and there is a narrow way through the branches over the stream. I have a finely stretched hide and some reeds that I can make into a boat that will sail down the stream to where you are. Your course of escape should run very near to the stream. I can fire a few special arrows, including some that will burn up with a strangely colored fire, and that will frighten them. The help I need is for a strong wolf to pull on a rope that I will throw over that tree branch up there. I can't climb up there on my own with my wounded leg. I also have some pepper and other spices. If a few wolves scatter this over the ground in front of both hunts, then the hounds won't be able to find your scent for another day, and you will be long gone by then. I also know that you can buy some extra time if one wolf away from the pack howls loudly and then hides. That will scare the horses and the hunters will try to gallop them toward the noise, which will make them more nervous. By the time the hunters are done searching in the wrong place, you will have gained more time. If you can use the one wolf howling to bring both parties close to each other without seeing each other and then howl between the hunts, they may even shoot each other. It is risky, but if I can help confuse with arrows and you can confuse them with howling and spices, they may even stop hunting you for a time because they will think you are ghost wolves. Will you do as I ask? I know that the plan is dangerous, but it will give all of you the best to chance to escape. If the hunters are not distracted and delayed, they could kill the slowest and oldest of you. Will you help me in this?" Kyliegh waited for an answer, glad that she hadn't tried mental communication this time. She understood mental protocol better now, and she was sure that the wolves would be angry if she tried that again without asking.

GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2005 02:06
(OOC: Previous post edited: See above. Sorry Wavecaller. Since I was the only one in the thread to mention having a profile for my character, I assumed you hadn't posted one.)

Without a word, Louve turned and ran in the direction the two-footer had indicated. She flew through the forest like a shadow slipping between the trees, never stopping until she heard humans. Crouching low, she watched them, in horror: The girl had told the truth. This second group of hunters was already dangerously close to the pack.

One thought ran through her mind, keeping her strong: The cubs, they must be saved at all costs. Her heart thumping in her chest, Louve did the only thing any wolf would do: Hopelessly outnumbered, she leaped for the throat of the nearest human.

[Edited on 8/3/2005 by GwennethSindalúnë]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email