Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Triple_Crown_Champ
Council Member
Send Message
Post Recruiting members for the Corsairs of Umbar [Please take a look!]
on: February 22, 2005 05:33
Here's the actual thread: http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=21453

Alright, I thought of this last night as I stared at the Middle-Earth maps on my walls. I thought it would be kind of fun to have some adventure and disturbance in Middle-Earth, before the War of the Ring. And no, I don't mean orc rebellions! I mean the Corsairs of Umbar!

The Bay of Belfalas covers the southern boundary of Gondor, and down to Umbar. Now, I haven't found a map of lands farther south than that, but there very well may be some. If I do find these lands, I can assure you that the Pirates' journey will continue south, or maybe even east! If you find a map of these farther regions, feel free to post it here or PM it to me. Thanks!

Now Let's Start Planning

Positions

Captain-Triple_Crown_Champ with Jaerden
First Mate-LadyValaina with Kabrac
Look Out-kellymulder with Thèorn
Mechanic-
Cook-Stridlas with Elana
Other Crew(Maybe I am expecting too much in hoping for at least 5)
-Stridlas with Kiara
-Gareth
-~Teveldin~ with Zane
-
-
Maybe we could get a mage or two-Lady_Tolwen with Nariel
Any other positions are open, just let me know if you'd like to join as something not listed above. Feel free to play multiple parts, but I'm going to ask you to take one large and one small part, or two medium-sized ones. For example, it wouldn't be fair for me to be both Captain and First Mate.

I hope I'm not being too harsh, but I would like it if each player writes at least one good sized paragraph. No one-liners, thank you. It would be great if you could do more, but that's my minimum. Try to use your best grammar and spelling. There is a spell check button, on the far left above the posting box (it says ABC with a big checkmark under it). It is very difficult to understnad posts with bad spelling and grammar. Also, it is appreciated if you could include some of the other characters in your posts, or make your character physically do something. It's harder for the rest of us to continue the story when your character is simply thinking to themself.

Plot

This RP belongs not only to me, but to you as well. Therefore it would be a group effort deciding on a plot. I'd like to try to make it interesting, so just the dailysailing wouldn't be very good. Possibly, if we had something we were trying to get back, that would be a fine plot. A fight with a rival pirate ship is fine as well. I need you to tell me what you think!

Characters

Since we are not allowed to post character profiles in the threads, it would be great if you could add your character to the database, if they are not already there, or give us a brief summary of how they are, what they can do, etc. Pictures are especially helpful. IF your character will be dressed differently than they are in their database picture, please supply a link to a more accurate (for this thread) depiction. I know that I, for one, will have my character appear differently from normal.

Ship Name

All pirates live most of their pirating life on board a ship. We will have a nice, strong, ship for our adventures. But there's one catch- we're going to need a good name! A name that's kind of eerie, and inflicts fear into the heart of others. This decision is a group decision. It's up to all of you!
Currently the Rebellion

Signature Pictures

Once we have you recruited for the crew of the Pirates, I would like everyone to have a picture in their signature if they could. This emblem entails a picture of your character (head or face, preferrably), their Position followed by their name (for me it is "Captain Jaerden"), and the name of the thread (Pirates of the Bay of Belfalas). For reference, take a look at my signature. If you would like me to make one for you, I'd be glad to. Just let me know, supply me with a picture of your crew member, and I'll get right back to you on it. These pictures should link to this thread, until we get the other one up and running. I will PM you the proper html for your signature, and when we change to the actual RP, I'll send it to you for that.

Other Necessary Information

This is going to be a Tolkien Related thread, which means that there may be races, powers and locations that are not contained in Tolkien's world. I'm sure most of you have roleplayed in the TR forum before, though, and if not, please read the rules.

Please let us know some way or another if you are going to be gone for an extended period of time. We will, in some way, incorporate your absence into the storyline of the thread. If you normally post once every three days, consistently, for example, I, or another member of the thread, will contact you by PM if you have not posted for over a week. If you are not going to be able to continue posting anymore, please let us know. If you would like your character to be killed off, tell us how you prefer that done, if you care. Or, if you choose for your character to live, specify who is to take over the role of your pirate. If none is specified, we will decide as a group.

Depending on the plot we choose, we may need to alter the characters list. The places open are only what I know we will need for our crew. As I have said before, feel free to play the part of any not listed above.

Anyone can join! So what if pirates are usually all male? Ye'll be sailin' under a female Cap'n! I don't care who you join as, male or female. I'm not going to be sexist!

Thank you, and I hope you choose to join the fun! Again, I hope I'm not being too strict. :rolling:

:hug:s,

TCC

Due to the suggestion of PotbellyHairyfoot, the name is being Changed to the "Corsairs of Umbar". Thanks Potbelly!

[Edited on 26/2/2005 by Triple_Crown_Champ]
LadyValaina
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Recruiting members for the Corsairs of Umbar [Please take a look!]
on: February 22, 2005 12:47

Wow. This sounds great! I'm in. I'm a pretty good writer and since no one else has posted yet and you might not get that many people I'll be the first mate...if that's okay...? But if someone else wants first mate, that's cool.

"AMEN!!!" You are not being too strict! I love this idea, and I looove your rules.:love: Rper's need more of them.

How does this sound?:

Name: ??? (I'll have to think one up...)
Race: Haradric

And I'll brainstorm on names for the ship... Thanks!

Cheers, ~LadyV

[Edited on 22/2/2005 by LadyValaina]
Lady_Tolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2005 12:52
I'll join! I have a character who is a mage. Her name is Nariel, and she's already in the database.
kellymulder
CoE Volunteer & Seagull of Ulmo
Send Message
on: February 22, 2005 01:01
wow.. this really sounds like a good idea, you can count me in for sure

I have always wanted to start a rpg that takes place in the far south but somehow I never had the time to come up with one, so I am very glad you had this idea

My char will probably be male and I think I will go for the position of the Look Out. I will try to figure something out as soon as possible, I will let you know as soon as I have him ready...
Ohw, I just have one question, what kind of names will they have? Does any of you know what kind of names the Haradrim have in the Tolkien books?
Triple_Crown_Champ
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2005 02:07
Wow, this is great! Thanks so much guys!

As for Haradhrim names, I'd have to say I'm pretty sure that Tolkien never mentions any of them by name in his books. I've always imagined that they'd have an apostrophe in them somewhere, you know, kind of like drow names. Although it doesn't matter what you name your character...

Yeah, I guess I was hoping for a bit much when I started this, but it still has some potential. If we don't get all the crew in time, we'll just start when we get a reasonable amount. Then people can join from there, but we'll have to incorporate that into the storyline. Like, if we picked them up in a port somewhere along the coast, or held them captive, or something like that.... I dunno.

Anyways, I'll do my bit now

Here you have Jaerden (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/BritishPirateGrl/RP/Jaerden_notmodified.jpg), captain of . True, her clothing is a bit er... modern and not very Southern-y (not a word, but we'll let it slide). We'll just say she's been North and picked up her style of dress, there, eh? Technically, it's a picture of my friend. So there you have her. I've got to get her profile up in the database, which I will be doing soon, possibly later tonight as I do not have much time on the computer now.

As you can see, I've updated the top post with the characters and each of your usernames. When you announce your characters names, I will then edit those in.

For now, I think we could do with a map? I'll go find one.

TCC

PS: I was thinking along the lines of The Rebellion for our ship. Tell me what you think or make a suggestion of your own. Thank you. It would be great if we could get the name to reflect the plot, though we'd need a plot first, now wouldn't we?

[Edited on 23/2/2005 by Triple_Crown_Champ]

[Edited on 4/2/2007 by Triple_Crown_Champ]
LadyValaina
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2005 02:32

Wow. That's was fast.

No, Tolkien never mentions names, but describes the peoples form Near Harad to be 'slightly dark of skin" and the Haradrim from Far Harad to be almost black and very large...maybe that could help you.

Hehe. This is funny. I was thinking of starting an rp in harad, but now I don't have to, do I?

Okay, my char's name is Kabrac (pronounced: CAB-rock), I'll put im in the DB (hopefully) within the hour.

I really like that, Champ! The Rebellion... I like it! I'll keep brainstorming but I don't think I'll come up with anything better then that, though.

Cheers, ~LadyV
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: February 22, 2005 04:14
Just a suggestion or two to help keep theRP at COE-
Why not change the name from 'Pirates" to "Corsairs of Umbar" as that is what they were called in Middle-Earth.
-Umbar is located on the southern shores of the Bay of Belfalas
In Middle-earth, the 'Corsairs of Umbar" were decscended from the Gondorian followers of Castimir the Usurper. His sons and followers escaped Gondor when the throne was taken back from Castamir. They settled in Umbar, and became the Corsairs and from that time on were enemies of Gondor. Gondor for a brief time during the reign of the ship-kings, had control of much of Harad and the surrounding are s and it is reasonable to assume that the Haradrim would join with the Corsairs in ravaging Gondor from the seas.
\________________\

Not a lot is said about the Corsairs so it would be relatively easy for you to tell their story and stay consistent enough with LOTR for the story to stay as TR or even TT , whereas most pirate RPs end up being considered NT and being closed
Triple_Crown_Champ
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2005 04:50
Thanks a lot Potbelly! And the background information was especially helpful.

We have changed the name (see the top of the thread), and I have changed my sig pic. If, in time, you would simply add a link, just a little link titled with the name of the thread, to your signature, that'd be great.

Unfortunately, there aren't a whole lot of maps of south Middle-Earth out there. Here's what I got.

This one is less detailed, shows some cities, and goes the farthest south of all the maps I've found.

This one does no extend so far south, but the detailing is a bit better. Also, it's near impossible to read. I may have to resize it at a later time.

In time, we'll decide on a route to take, and I'll sketch that over in a visible color, such as red.

Currently, our ship is called the Rebellion, until we decide on another, better name.

That's it for now, I may post again tomorrow, but I'm off for tonight.

TCC
LadyValaina
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2005 10:02

Okay, the Corsairs of Umbar it is! Okay: Kabrac's bio is up! COMPLETE! Go check it out.*pants* I never knew I had it in me to finish a bio in less then a week.

Anyway.... nice outfit... the captain that is.

Hmm. I might be two characters if we don't get more... Do you havean idea how your going to start the thread?

I'll work on that sig banner... I doubt I'll find a pic that will match my character but there's always a chance.

Cheers, ~LadyV
Stridlas
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2005 10:42
Hmmmmm, I think I like this. Is this the one you asked me about?
i think Elana, only changed slightly(parentage, they would not have a daughter as they are not king and queen yet [see elana's profile] maybe, unknown parents here) as your cook? And Kiara as one of your other crew members?
By the way, i like the ship name.
Also, i can not make a signature for myself :cry: and, i don't have an pics I can upload :sob: Sorry, Champ.
Triple_Crown_Champ
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2005 11:21
Thanks a lot, Valaina! I read Kabrac's profile and I made one for Jaerden. You can view it here [http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=RPG&file=index&action=viewcharacter&rpgid=4620 ]. And Kabrac's is here [http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=RPG&file=index&action=viewcharacter&rpgid=4618 .

Heh, actually I'm watching PotC right now. Maybe it will inspire me. Johhny :drool:

Thanks, LadyV. Anything close to your character will do. :rolling: Feel free to play two characters. Just tell me what position you'll take up and I'll add it in. Looks like this thread isn't as successful as I'd hoped it would be. I myself may have to be to, though I'd really like to try and steer clear of that if at all possible. I'll update the top post and add you in, Stridlas, with Elana as cook and Kiara as a crew member. I believe that's correct, no?

Ooh ooh! I saw Orlando's tattoo! Off topic... moving on... Sad, really, I can read the tengwar, too.

It's ok Stridlas. All I ask is that you link back to the thread. Just copy this into your signature:

Kiara and Cook Elana The Corsairs of Umbar

I haven't heard from kellymulder or Lady_Tolwen, I don't know if they are still with us. I will PM them if they show no sign of continued participation in the next few days. I am accusing neither, just trying to keep this thread together.

Thanks loads again, guys.

TCC

Alright, I just felt the need to show you the purtiful handle of me rapier I'm so attached to it... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/BritishPirateGrl/RP/rapier_closeup.jpg

[Edited on 24/2/2005 by Triple_Crown_Champ]
LadyValaina
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2005 05:22
Thanks, Champ! Now that I read Jaerden's profile, Kabrac seem's a bit over done. Yours is quite excellent, I might add.

So is the crew already going to be familiar with each other or are they all gong to be strangers... or....? I'm just throwing things out there.

Anyway... tell me if you get the thumbs up from kellymulder and Lady_Tolwen so I'll know whether I need a second character or not. I have one pic finished... is it okay if it doesn't have Kabrac in it? I can't find a pic that looks like him that I?m satisfied with...

Later! ~LadyV
kellymulder
Send Message
on: February 24, 2005 12:59
I am still with you
my char's name will be Thèorn, I haven't had the time to make his bio yet but I promise I will have it by the end of the week
...and when we do not have enough players I'll be willing to play a second character

[Edited on 24/2/2005 by kellymulder]
Triple_Crown_Champ
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2005 04:06
Aww... et: LadyV, Kabrac's profile is in no way overdone. It's great. Mine's just short, though it's the longest I've done... I'm not the most skilled at profiles. I'll add some stuff I forgot yesterday in a minute...Oh, and about your picture, that is absolutely fine.

kelly-Take your time. No rush. It's great to hear you're still with us. I added Thèorn to the top post, so that's all updated.

As to whether or not the crew is familiar with each other, I think it would be a bit more positive if they did. If you all would like them to be total strangers, that's fine as well. :rolling:

Alright, we're going to have to start soon. From what I understand, ~Teveldin~ will be with us soon, most likely within the day. Once she gets her characters all set up, we may begin taking seond parts. Somehow I don't think we're going to get any more people. I have yet to contact Lady_Tolwen.

Since we are so close to setting off on our journey, I believe that about now would be the time to begin forming a plot. Any suggestions? We could have a rivalry with another shipful of corsairs... or... I dunno. It's up to you guys as well.

Also... animals are beyond welcome. As Tolkien really didn't say too much about the Corsairs or what the far southern lands were like, I chose to believe they were desertous as well as jungled. Therefore, we have monkeys! And, of course, parrots. Middle-Earth would have existed not too long ago, so it is quite possible that these species had evolved by that time. Therefore, I got meself a monkey. :love:

I actually just thought of this (yes, I know I am so terribly slow). Dialects are fine and will not be counted as bad spelling and grammar.

Alright, if I think of anything else, I'll be sure to post it. :cheers:

TCC
kellymulder
Send Message
on: February 24, 2005 05:44
hmm.. great ideas so far, everyone.

Just about the thing if the pirates should be relatives to each other... I do not think they should, it's not very realistic, isn't it? On ships you often see that the crew is not related but that they are longtime friends. I suggest that we all have (or have had) our own families but we decided for some reason to go out on the sea and that since then we have come to trust and like each other more and more...
but that's just an idea, if you want us to be relatives I am fine with that

as for the plot.. I do not have any ideas yet but I'll think about it for sure,

kelly

[Edited on 24/2/2005 by kellymulder]
Triple_Crown_Champ
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2005 07:44
Oh! I'm sorry if I was unclear. I didn't mean relatives, we would be in no way related, just sailing together for a while. Sorry about the confusion.
No, I think it's better we not be related. Just makes more sense.

Thanks kelly. I have a problem with thinking of plots. It's not exactly one of my strong points, if you catch my drift.

Heh, I'm now watching Pirates for the 4th time in the past 24 hours. Inspiration still has not come to me...

Alright, I can ake another crew member. We're not going to get any more players, and there'll still be three spots as that. We can live without a mechanic as well, if need be. We're smart enough to repair our own ship, en't we?

I'm off to PM Lady_Tolwen. And when I think of a name for my other character, I'll put 'em up there, though this time it will be a male, promise. :rolling:

TCC
LadyValaina
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2005 08:33

Too funny. Teveldin is my sister and I have been begging her to join... glad she finally has.

Hmmm. On being familar with everybody... I think it would add a little more color if most, if not all, of the crew doesn't know each other.. at least not that well... But I'm cool with anything.

Les see...

Plots, plots, plots.... Plots. Huh.

I dunno... maybe it could just be raiding expedition and it turns into somthing else...? Nah. That's kinda stupid, and there's no gaurantee that that will happen anyway... I'll keep thinking.

Okay, gotta go. Off to fix somthing in Kabrac's bio. Ttyl! ~LadyV

Triple_Crown_Champ
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2005 09:04
Yes, she did tell me that. And I'm glad too. She'll probably be our last member. "An' thats whatchye call ironic." [Yes, I'm watching it again... ]

Alright, you all may want to be familiar, or most of you, with your captain. Just might help a bit... I'm cool with anything too, though. I guess you can choose how well you know everyone else.

I'm making a profile for Gareth. He's a bit like a Bo'sun. Dark of skin and strong of arm. You can view his profile here [ http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=RPG&file=index&action=viewcharacter&rpgid=4628 ]. I have the week off, so I'm just spending all my time here.

No no! Raiding expeditions aren't stupid. We could just elaborate. Yes, like you said, it turns into something else. That's fine. Just what else? Maybe we could pick up some crew members in a coastal town along the way. I could start up the thread tonight, or tomorrow even, maybe. We can go with who we have, and then if Teveldin joins, we could pick her up somewhere if she doesn't post before we leave. Or we could have her be there, and just not do anything with her character until she posts.

I guess we should have our own island, to call our own, as a hideout, a cache, you know...Maybe a few tens of miles out from Tolfalas. We'll name it, in time.

Anyways, we can take members after we start as well. We'll just direct them to this thread. They do not necessarily have to be a crew member, but that would depend entirely on any plot we come up with. [I'm repeating myself here... ick.]

I'm done nonsensically babbling for now. :rolling:

I'll check back later, see how we're all doing.

TCC

[Edited on 24/2/2005 by Triple_Crown_Champ]
~Teveldin~
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2005 12:29

Alright, I'm here, finally! Sorry it took me so long!

So yeah, after much painful deliberation concerning a name, I have finally come up with a character, and put the link in my sig. His name is Zane (goofy I know, but I have never had more trouble coming up with a name before in my life!) and I suppose he'll just be a first-class free-lance sailor.

Here's a link to the full pic of him: http://www.anry.ru/gallery/pirate/pirate.jpg

His bio will be up soon-- promise! I've just been really busy today.

So yes, this thread sounds really great! I like that you have so many guidlines, it really helps to clear a lot of things up. So... Any idea when the thread will be started?

Tataa!

~Tev
LadyValaina
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2005 04:41

Okay, here are my pics:

u.gif">u.gif" alt = "Image" />

And the one I'm leaning towards. Note: Kabrac's not that dark... it's the picture and effect I used: Image

Soo.... I like the island idea and the being familar with the Captain. I was also thinking that when you actually start the thread in TR, more people might be interested to join, ya know? Just a chance, for all those people who don't check the ooc's.

About the island... do you want it's name to be like The Rebellion or a Haradric/Gondorian name?

Okay, fo if I decide to play a second character I'll have him/her be picked up somwhere, to make it more interesting.

Anyway.... I feel inspired right now so I'm going to go write somthing...

Cheers, ~LadyV

[Edited on 25/2/2005 by LadyValaina]
Triple_Crown_Champ
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2005 04:42
Ahh, no worries, Tev. [I'm calling you that, it's shorter :rolling:] We're very glad you could join us! :hug: Our crew is as complete as it's going to get. Tonight I'll at least get a start on the RP, and I'll edit my signature picture to link to the Rp page. I'll add a link to it here as well.

And by the way, Tev, Zane is not a goofy name at all! [He's not bad looking, either ] Loads better 'n me monkey's name! And I do admit to cheating on making up Gareth's name. It's the drow word for "strong". I'll work on his sig pic too. And you work quit efficiently, Tev. With being busy and all. I'll be far more busy next week when school starts back up.

Alright, I'll get started. I might add more first thing tomorrow, as I'm not sure how much I'll be able to do tonight. We'll start in Southern Gondor, maybe have a brush with the navy there, and flee farther south, to Tolfalas or Umbar.

TCC

Oh, LadyV, you just beat me. Alright, either pic is fine. When I start the thread, which I'm going to do now, I'm going to start it with a little itro which will have the link to the OOC. I'm also asing peole to thouroughly read this thread before joining, and touch base with at least one of us saying that they're joining. I'll need to edit them into the list.

Alright I started it. It's short, and not very good, but I don't have time and you guys need something to start with.

I found some info. [Yes, I'm actually researching stuff for an RP... I'm such a dork. :rolling:

Ship Capture

How did pirates actually go about attacking an enemy vessel? When pirates commanded a superior vessel they could easily confront any victim with cannon fire, crippling the ship and stimulating a quick surrender. However, pirates rarely commanded superior vessels, in fact, most often pirates commanded small lightly armored but highly maneuverable ships. For this reason, pirates seldom relied on fire power. Instead, pirates generally preferred to quickly board the enemy ship, robbing of goods, and rapidly retreating. Often, pirates would be greatly outnumbered, but because pirates employed various scare tactics they paralyzed their victims with fear.

We don't have cannons, but it gives us some information on how we could go about things...

Code of Conduct

The rules of each pirate captain were clearly stated to each member of the crew. There was little ambiguity about acceptable behavior among pirates on a typical pirate ship. When a rule was breached, the crew was often without pity or remorse in punishing a guilty crew member. Although in cases of particularly useful pirates such as skillful fighters, exceptions were inevitably made. Below, a sample code of conduct is provided. Outlined below is a sample.

Sample Code of Conduct:  

Every man shall obey civil Command; the Captain shall have one full share and a half in all Prizes; the Master, Carpenter, Boatswain and Gunner shall have one Share and quarter.

If any man shall offer to run away, or keep any Secret from the Company, he shall be marroon'd with one Bottle of Powder, one Bottle of Water, one small Arm and shot.

If any Many shall steel any Thing in the Company, or game, to the Value of a Piece of Eight, he shall be marroon'd or shot.

If at any Time we should meet another Marrooner (that is Pyrate) that Man that shall sign his Articles without the Consent of our Company, shall suffer such Punishment as the Captain and Company shall think fit.

That Man that shall strike another whilst these Articles are in force, shall receive Mose's Law (that is 40 stripes lacking one) on the bare Back.

That Man that shall snap his Arms, or smoak Tobacco in the Hold, without a cap to his Pipe, or carry a Candle lighted without a Lanthorn, shall suffer the same Punishment as in the former Article.

That Man that shall not keep his Arms clean, fit for an Engagement, or neglect his Business, shall be cut off from his Share, and suffer such other Punishment as the Captain and the Company shall think fit.

If any Man shall lose a Joint in time of an Engagement he shall have 400 pieces of Eight; if a limb 800.

If at any time you meet with a prudent Woman, that Man that offers to meddle with her, without her Consent, shall suffer present Death.

That was just a sample, but it's something to consider, if you'd like to form a code of conduct for ourselves.

This part's about historic Pirates, of this world, and some things would need to be changed to fit Middle-Earth.

It is probably an obvious statement to say that the main force behind piracy, has always been the search for wealth. Pirates were able to acquire amazing riches, and goods, through their campaigns. The assets, of which the most noted, and often most prized were; gold and silver pieces, currency, jewelry, and precious stones. But the actual pirate booty, was acquired from looted merchant ships which usually included items such as linens, cloths, food, anchors, rope, and sometimes medical supplies. The cargo even included rare articles such as spices, sugar, indigo, and quinine.

The types of goods pillaged, depended on the type of ship encountered, therefore many pirates were very selective in the ship they attacked, to be certain that the booty received was worth the risks of battle. It was equally important for the captain to choose the most rewarding area to monitor. One such area was the Spanish Main, rewards of which attracted many pirates. It was a well known fact in the pirate archives, that the Spanish treasure fleet made frequent yearly visits to Portobello to load treasure from Peru, which was twice the yearly revenue of England's King, and often included 25 million pesos in the form of silver bars, and coins.

Choosing the right ship and the right cargo to pillage, was an essential part of any pirate ship captain’s duty, wishing to avoid mutiny. However, failing to attack a promising ship, could also result in a similar outcome, since most of his crew were sailing, for a share in the plundered goods.

Another concern was the actual method for dividing the assets acquired. The pirate code, stated that, any loot plundered, had to be shared out equally. Some treasure was more easily divided among the crew than others. For example, certain coins, such as pieces of eight were cut up into smaller change. However, jewels were not as easily divisible. Evidence of the dividing process, can be observed in the Pirate knife markings on some of the pirate loot, on exhibition in museums around the world.

The idea of buried treasure is mostly a mythical one, as it is romantically portrayed in books such as Treasure Island. One pirate however, who may have started the myth, and was known for burying his treasure was Captain Kidd. But even though some pirates may have hid their plunder in this way, a great deal more money was spent searching for it, than has ever been uncovered. Most pirates were extreme squanderers and rarely accumulated enough treasure to bury. Due to the danger and uncertainty of their profession, they were usually determined to live life for the present, and not save for the future.

And this is a good place fo looking up the parts of a ship...http://www.piratesinfo.com/detail/detail.php?article_id=46

[Edited on 25/2/2005 by Triple_Crown_Champ]
LadyValaina
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2005 09:21

That was really interesting.

Yay! I'll go over and post.... I'm also working on that other character...

~LadyV
Triple_Crown_Champ
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2005 10:19
Alright see you around.

I'm still going to encourage you all to post here if you have any questions. I don't set a great example, but I'd like to limit all OOC in the thread. :rolling:

Just a thought, I read my Sindarin notes, and a possible name for our island could be Tol Malnur, which is roughly translated to 'Isle of the Gold Lovers'.

And I'm still waiting for inspiration to come. I'm on the 10th time watching this movie... And it better be good; I've waited a while.

K, then we'll pick you up in Gondor!

TCC

[Edited on 25/2/2005 by Triple_Crown_Champ]
LadyValaina
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2005 11:02

Howa bout this:

My char could be a Gondorian woman/man, who happens to be captain of the gaurd of the town that The Rebellion is going to raid... if that's what Jaerden's going to do....? (Or she and her troops could come to the aid of a shio instead)

Anyway she could (of course) be captured. And I was thinking (if it was a woman) it would add a little color and humor to the Rp if she and Jaerden kinda clashed... I mean, their both headstrong women and both captains.... I dunno...maybe it's dumb....

~LadyV

P.S. I like that name... it fits.

P.P.S.
Ooh! Got a second idea: What about aguy, like seventeen who is like murphey's law? Clumsey, forgetful, talks too much, is a runt... a total pippin character.... a "Where are we going?" character.... huh. That's a little dumb too...

[Edited on 25/2/2005 by LadyValaina]
~Teveldin~
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2005 11:13

I posted in the thread-- And I know we're not exactly supposed to write entire posts without interaction, but there wasn't exactly anyone he can talk to and I was trying to get the feel of things.

It's kind of funny, because he's supposed to be this experienced sailor, but I'm really hesitant to state specifics for fear of erring or saying something unrealistic or impossible... This should be an educational thread, lol! Thanks for starting it!

~Tev
Triple_Crown_Champ
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2005 11:15
Stop saying your ideas are dumb, I love them!

Yes, we will possibly raid a Gondorian town, that's fine. No no, clashing is far better than everything being all dandy and rosy. If you catch my drift...

And this is pretty free, so... Do what you like.

TCC

P.S. Thank you. I thought so too. Though it's the best I can do for the time of night it was....
LadyValaina
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2005 11:45

Huh, huh, huh. I dunno. We have four guys and three girls.... so I should be a girl to even the odds....?

Oh, and about that boy character....: Maybe he could... you know be nayones character. Like if somthing needs to happen or be fixed or a situation confused then he could be used. Like people could move him around without worrying about it. Hmmm. Now, I'm absoloutly sure that's a bad idea....
Triple_Crown_Champ
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2005 01:13
Phh, go ahead! I don't care what you do with him. Which could be possibly why he hasn't done anything yet.

That's great. If he's anyone's character I can move him to the position of Bo'sun-A warrant officer or petty officer in charge of a ship's rigging, anchors, cables, and deck crew. [I took that straight out of the dictionary, so it's got to be accurate.]
If that still fits with what you were thinking...It really can't go wrong.

As to whether you should be a boy or a girl, it doesn't matter at all, really. We can be even, or have men be predominant.

And Tev, it's ok. We're just getting started. It took me one whole hour to write that intro and it's disgustingly short. Just because I had nothing to go on. I'm sure when we get started it'll go better.

I'll post in about half an hour or so... Busy now..

TCC
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: February 25, 2005 07:15
That's a great start to the RP - I'm really glad to see that you are making a real effort to keep the RP in Middle-Earth-
LadyValaina
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2005 08:19

GONE ON PARTY BUSINESS: Teveldin and myself will be gone for the day, and probably will not be active all day. Bye-bye!

~LadyV
Triple_Crown_Champ
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2005 12:05
'tis ok. I took a very long half hour. I've been gone all day. I dn't know when I'll be back.
kellymulder
Send Message
on: February 27, 2005 02:41
Yay, I finished my profile for Thèorn, he is in the db right now. I had some problems with my computer so I didn't have the opportunity to get online and make it, but it's done now...

Anyway, I had an idea for the plot... it's only small and it just sprang to mind... I think we should keep this thread more to Tolkien related by using some of his creations in our thread, otherwise this rp could better be any kind of PotC rpg.

So... I thought, can't we mingle some elves in it; just to make it more Tolkien.... I am not sure about it but don't the elves have a haven in the south, apart from the Grey Havens in the west?
Well.. if that would be the case, a ship of elves could cross our route and we could raid them, but facing a resilliance (sp?) we did not expect all kind of things could happen. I do not know what but you guys could think along if you like the idea...
anyway, it was just something that came to mind, we do not have to use it of course.

I read your posts in thread, and I like everything so far
I cannot wait to start myself, but I will first need to have an idea of what to write...

BTW, I hope my bio for Thèorn is good, if there's need for anything to be changes I will hear it from you..

Ohw... there was something else, I cannot make that kinds of pictures myself, for in the signature, could anyone make one for me? I would be so happy if someone could do that, please? *looks with huge begging eyes* I like the pictures bettern then just the link in my siggy. My char doesn't have to be in it.. it could just be anything... please?

I guess that was it for now, take care everyone

kelly
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: February 27, 2005 06:30
PB to the rescue;
Dol Amroth was, until late in the Third Age, a haven for the elves of Lothlorien, and they would sail from the port. The city was also a part of Gondor and it was thought that there was intermingling between its elves and men .( You may recall that Prince Imrahil of Dol Amroth ws thought to have some elvish blood.)
You could easily have an elf (or part elf) or two in your crew; perhaps they left Dol Amroth in disgust, disenchanted after prince Amroth was swept out to sea , or left in shame after blaming themselves for his loss.
Stridlas
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 27, 2005 11:25
Just thought i'd say, i like the idea of an elven ship crossing our path and us raiing it. Also, inlight of what PotbellyHairyfoot said, Elana is still part elven.
annunvingiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 27, 2005 11:41
hey, is it too late to join this? i've always loved pirates (got hooked on them with errol flynn's capt. blood years and years before i'd ever even heard of orlando bloom), and i've got a soft spot for the haradrim and umbarians (is that right? umbarians?).
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email