Register

Author Topic:
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: What Gender are you poll part duex
on: December 29, 2006 05:51
I'm glad to see a man has posted.

Come along manly men, show us how much you love COE!
Female
82% (1)
Male
18% (3)
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Aegor
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 29, 2006 06:19
A "manly man" reporting Elf
Griffin
Collector of all that is Shiny
Send Message
on: December 29, 2006 04:42
Number 120!

Oh definitely a "manly man" Iggy! *cough* I mean Mr.Aegor sir
Belegstrongbow
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2006 04:51
there is also a poll of this in Facts about us forum. It has more ppl who voted, and again girls win. But still LETS VOTE MEN and umm girls.

Beleg
zizzypwn
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2007 11:59
These poll results appears to be in COMPLETE contrast to an extremely sexist comment I read today on a forum for 'The White Council' video game.

"And LOTR is not for girls is gore,blood sorrrow,betrayel,failure, disapointemnt,hate, ambushes, hopeless, mountrose stuuf. And u girls specimens rather have : joy, love, nice T-shirts, nice liitle dogs, Bradd Pitt, pink stuff.What drws ur attention. Go to the Barbie forums."

I just want to hit that guy SO hard. Nice little dogs are cute...but nothing beats LOTR (And Elrond.)

Ecthelion_of_Gondolin
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2007 04:37
I'm a guy *stands to applause*
*bows*
golden_lorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2007 06:26
"And LOTR is not for girls is gore,blood sorrrow,betrayel,failure, disapointemnt,hate, ambushes, hopeless, mountrose stuuf. And u girls specimens rather have : joy, love, nice T-shirts, nice liitle dogs, Bradd Pitt, pink stuff.What drws ur attention. Go to the Barbie forums."
Holy ERU! what... that... *splutters* Valar help us, that's insane! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..... Ok, maybe I'm over-reacting, but that's not nice.

golden.
zizzypwn
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 08, 2007 02:53
Holy ERU! what... that... *splutters* Valar help us, that's insane! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..... Ok, maybe I'm over-reacting, but that's not nice.

golden.

It's probably because it was on a male dominated forum...but it's not like we go around saying, "LOTR is not for boys. It's full of beautiful men with great eyebrows. Go to the Football forums." XD
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2007 05:42
In the immortal words of Muddy Waters, "Well I spell M.....A.....N" I wish I knew why Tolkien's masterpiece appeals to you gals so much and also why there are so few guys at this site. I'll tell ya though, I don't mind it. Being an old geezer, (nearly 59) I frequent the "fans over forty" forum and we have discussed this very subject before but found no definative answer, as I recall. There isn't all that much romance between male and female in the story, but what is there is very powerful. Also, the male "good guys" exhibit such positive qualities as to make them highly attractive and desirable to the fairer sex, so it seems. One lady said that Frodo, Sam, Aragorn, etc behaved in ways that she wished all men acted. Hmmmm, could be. Whatever it is, I wish I'd had some of it when I was 18. Ah well, such is life. Swabby
ClumsyElf
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2007 12:18
I am female # 126! Looks like I've just added to the majority.

SARAH
Tofu
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2007 08:48
Oh, honestly. As if women weren't just as interested in blood and gore. Let's not be sexist here. Equal opportunity brutality in the 21st century.

In all seriousness, whoever claims that LotR is comprised mainly of "gore,blood sorrrow,betrayel, failure, disapointemnt,hate, ambushes, hopeless, mountrose stuuf" (and it really hurts me to put so many obvious misspellings up), has clearly not read the books. Though the books may often veer into the realm of stuffy sagas more often associated with the masculine, they are also full of poetry, myth, wit, and a certain wistfulness. These elements are more often associated with the feminine.

Either way, of course, it is rather narrow-minded to assert that it is the traditionally feminine aspects of LotR that draw female readers or that is is the traditionally masculine aspects that draw male readers. Each person is drawn to LotR, or to any other books, for their own reasons, which they may or may not share with anyone else. How very silly to say that A, B, and C are the only reasons that Group 1 is interested in something and that D, E, and F are the only reasons that Group 2 is interested in the same thing.

Also, am I the only one somewhat disgruntled that so many people have phrased this as a census of "men" and "girls" rather than "men" and "women?" Some people have used the terms "male" and "female," which is rather more politically correct as well as accurate.
Nenya_Ring
Galadriel's Wishmaster Apprentice
Send Message
on: February 12, 2007 10:42
Reading your passionately-arugmented post, I fear to even guess what you are. Kidding. Male vs. female would be the only... less disputable division, yes, not necessarily PC, I hope we can leave that one behind in RL.

I'm... female. Sorry to disappoint you, bunch.
Image ImageGaladriel's Wishmaster Apprentice
Tofu
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2007 11:32
Passionately-argued? Darn, I was going for somewhat facetious, but reasonably intellectual. Or intellectually reasonable, I forget which. Maybe I should use more smilies. ? Then again, maybe not.

I'm a woman, though if anyone is disappointed by that, I shall be everso confused.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email