Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Fair_Lady_of_Rivendell
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: His Dark Materials-anyone read them?
on: December 17, 2003 03:10
LOVED IT ALL THE WAY!! :heart::love::drool::dizzy:
(soz- i'm hyper-active!)
anyway, it was great! not sure wat my daemon would be.
anyone heard of LYRA'S OXFORD? it's the next short book from philip pullman (a genius! anyone read his other books? e.g Sally Lockhart seires?)

Lyra's Oxford is probs gonna be gud- we get 2 find out wat happens 2 lyra... not sure about will though...
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: December 19, 2003 01:35
anyway, it was great! not sure wat my daemon would be.
anyone heard of LYRA'S OXFORD? it's the next short book from philip pullman (a genius! anyone read his other books? e.g Sally Lockhart seires?)

Lyra's Oxford is probs gonna be gud- we get 2 find out wat happens 2 lyra... not sure about will though...

Thank you for the news, Fair Lady! I'm looking forward to hunting this book down!...
Fair_Lady_of_Rivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2003 11:44
((no probs Fíriel! ))

not sure wen lyra's oxford is coming out... any1 no where i can find out?
anyways... wonder what my daemon wud be...?
Sansa Stark- i really agree wid u, i found the third book disappointing and loved the 1st book out of the trilogy most.
rhia
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2003 08:01
I love these books! There so amazaingly interesting and I was so drawn into the world. Not as good as Lord of the Rings, but it is my 2nd favorite fantasy series.
If I had a daemon I think mine would be an owl. Thoughtful, observative, wise, and predeatorial.
Endovana
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2004 11:13
these were my absolute favorite books! Personally, i liked The Amber Spyglass best.

[Edited on 14/1/2004 by k]
SwirlZ
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2004 03:10
Oh I absolutely :heart: LOVE these books!!!

My favorite character was Lee Scornby (is that his name?? i can't remember exactly how to spell it! :dizzy: )). Iorek Benison and Pantalaimon are all my favorite! I know Pan is connected to Lyra, but he's a little different and still my favorite.

I think making a movie would kind of, if not completly bog the series!!! The story plot is just as complicated as Lord of the Rings, even though it doesnt' have the full history or something to work off of like Peter Jackson had. *shrugs* But i was worried that They'd completly boggle The Lord of the Rings has a film!

As for my daemon.....hmmmm...I'd think (according to the Native American Totem Stones, that have a personality for an animal) I'd be a coyote. A trickster that has a quick ability to adapt to its surroundings. That's like me too!!!

well tally!
witchking
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2004 09:46
these were great books! i love 'em!! i really don't know what my deamon would be... but it would be so cool to have one.
Al
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 10:35
they were actually very interesting books. pullman is a very skilled author. however, being a christian, i didnt really appriciate the negation of the christian religion. but i view them as i view harry potter, to a more extreme extent. if you know not to believe them, then go ahead and enjoy them!

on another note- i found it so sad that they had to be separated at the end! i cried!

one thing though- i the amber spyglass there is a quote that says " How much the better for us all had there been a Father Gomez in the garden of eden! we would never have left paradise."
i found this 'incredibly stupid'. really though. think about it. eve was the mother of the human race. if she had died, we would never have existed!:dizzy:

one concept i really enjoyed was that of different worlds intertwining. thats really cool!

oh- and though they were good, they'll never take the place of lotr for me!
Lady~of~the~Shield~Arm
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2004 07:40
Oh I absolutely :heart: LOVE these books!!!

My favorite character was Lee Scornby (is that his name?? i can't remember exactly how to spell it! :dizzy: )). Iorek Benison and Pantalaimon are all my favorite! I know Pan is connected to Lyra, but he's a little different and still my favorite.

I think making a movie would kind of, if not completly bog the series!!! The story plot is just as complicated as Lord of the Rings, even though it doesnt' have the full history or something to work off of like Peter Jackson had. *shrugs* But i was worried that They'd completly boggle The Lord of the Rings has a film!

As for my daemon.....hmmmm...I'd think (according to the Native American Totem Stones, that have a personality for an animal) I'd be a coyote. A trickster that has a quick ability to adapt to its surroundings. That's like me too!!!

well tally!

It's Lee Scoresby & Iorek Biornison
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2004 05:26
I love these books alot. My fave characters are iorek, and lyra, the wa irek is so loyal to his fiends, it's cute. And I love how at the bginning, Lyra is so innocent, and young, and will do anything befor even thinking about it. And as the books change, she changes to be wiser, and how she's not so innocent. And if I were to be a daemon, or have on, it wold definitly end up being ether an owl for wisdom, or a fox, for cunningness, and bing able to manipulat to get someting.:evil: lol.
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: February 09, 2004 12:09

not sure wen lyra's oxford is coming out... any1 no where i can find out?

I really should be more prompt... anyway, 'Lyra's Oxford' is definately out by now. It consists of a short story about an adventure of Lyra's -- Lyra _after_ her separation from Will, and is scattered with various tidbits from her world. I haven't got the book yet, but by all accounts, if you were always fascinated by all the different places and people mentioned in HDM, this provides something of a tease. It's apparently also a beautiful book.

(There are also rumours of a followup book to HDM, 'The Book of Dust', but at this stage, it's probably best not to hope if it's true, even the title itself!)
Tnuviel7
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2004 09:09
the first to were great :heart:, but the third i was dissappointed in because i am a devout christian and it was really offending to me.:angry:
i also was offended by the mists of avalon but i still liked the book:dizzy::blushso confused)
Swashbucklin_Hobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2004 12:06
I read these books last summer- you know, when you read one, you're hooked. after the first I simply HAD to read the rest.
I think my favorite was Pan, though, because without him, Lyra would have had a harder time of it.
I think my Daemon would probably be some small animal that blends into it's enviroment well. that's pretty much me. But if it was my alter ego....
Did anyone figure out Dust?
gothic_angel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2004 03:17
No, but I NEED to!!! Once I finish re-reading the Chronicles of Narnia, I'm gonna go out and buy them! I've heard loads about them and need to read them before the decide to make a film of it!!!
areydal_11
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2004 02:15
Have I read them? Only about 20 times! I love the books they are really good. Pullman is a very good writer. But his other books are not a good though!
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: December 08, 2004 02:38
The Book of Dust definitely seems to be happening now:

Philip Pullman is working on a sort of companion novel to His Dark Materials, entitled "The Book of Dust." The Book of Dust" will contain short stories about many of the secondary characters such as Lee Scoresby and Serafina Pekkala. There may also be information about Dust, the Alethiometer, the Subtle Knife, and dæmons. Basically, all the things we wondered about, but weren't important enough to put into the books themselves. (...)

Did anyone figure out Dust?

I've always wondered about that, but have never been able to reach a definite conclusion. My memory of the trilogy's a bit rusty at the moment, so all I remember regarding Dust is that it's conscious matter. Some people have actually argued that Dust somehow represents God, or at least some cosmic energy, which does in one way make sense. I suppose it's also important to note that there's some sort of strong link between the concepts of dæmons and Dust, as Dust seems to concentrate more strongly on teens and above, and dæmons also assume their fixed forms at this time. The Spectres are also attracted to teens and above, so I suppose they're feeding on the Dust, and which reduce the victims to a state of inactiveness and ignorance. Does anybody get what PP might be trying to hint at? That maybe, with knowledge comes enlightment?

(In short, if anybody would be interested in discussing and understanding Lyra's fall from ignorance into knowledge and how it's reflected in the novel, I'd like that a lot -- I really want to get at the _heart_ of such a complex novel. ^_^)
lyrav9
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2004 10:35
I love the idea that Dust is knowledge. It makes so much sense. But I feel that maybe it also has to do with a person's sense of self. It is only when that person realizes their true self and understands their role in life, can their daemon change into its permanent form.

(I'd love to have a long drawn out discussion too!)
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: December 12, 2004 02:53
But I feel that maybe it also has to do with a person's sense of self. It is only when that person realizes their true self and understands their role in life, can their daemon change into its permanent form.

True. I get the feeling that it ties in with what I was discussing before though -- growing up is essentially gaining self-knowledge. To continue along in this vein, achieving such knowledge is therefore inevitable, along with the questioning, and that was of course what Lyra's Church was so afraid of; they equated the absence of Original Sin (i.e. Dust) with innocence. I wonder then if Lyra's Church (I know there were many different factions) genuinely believed that humanity could be saved by their own actions, or if this Church just wanted to maintain their power and therefore keep people in ignorance? I do think that Pullman intended Lyra's Church to reflect those of our own world in some way, so I'd be interested in knowing the answer...
Erantiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2004 01:43
i love these books! i feel really bad to say this but, they're better than lotr. i think my daemon would be a raccoon. my favorite world is lyra's. i still haven't finished the last one. i decided on my daemon being a raccoon after i read the first book.

i read the first and second books all in one week, and i finished the second one over two days. it took me the whole week to read the first one, but that was because of school and everything. i think it will take me a little longer to finish the third one though, because, well, duh, it's a little longer than the rest of them.

sorry to all those people that liked lotr better, but these books are so much easier for me to read. maybe it's because they closer to my reading level, or maybe it's because they were written closer to 'now', but they are just easier for me to read than lotr.

(also, i made up my daemon's name using my own imagination and nothing else. his name is Rinianel.
lyrav9
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2004 02:58
Well Firiel, I think that as with all things, there are many faces to one object. So with the Church, there are factions that want to promote the saving of humanity, but the one that Mrs. Coulter was involved in probably just wanted to maintain power. Just look at all the crazy things they did to keep that power and control. They were obviously very scared over what Lyra could possibly do to the world once her role in life was established.

(Although I do agree with you that Pullman probably did base the Church on HDM on his view of the church system today, but I'm not very knowledgable about the state of the churches in the world today.)
Pippin_the_periannath
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2005 10:14
An awesome trilogy. Never tire of reading it
lanfear
Craziness' Guidance Counsellor
Send Message
on: January 27, 2005 05:51
"Dæmons" let's face it they have to be one of the best literary creations in quite a while, a part of you externalised into animal form. A distinct point in the direction of your true nature, in other words an easy sign post as to whether you can be trusted and what your reactions might be. I'd hope for an owl or a seagull but I'd probably get a weasel lol
Aerhíril
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2005 11:36
Did you know that they are planning to make these into films? But they are also leaving the religion element out of it entirely, which I think is wrong. That's just like trying to take the religion out of the chronicles of Narya! I have read all the books, and I hope that the film producers know what they are doing.
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: January 29, 2005 10:31
Did you know that they are planning to make these into films?

Knew that...

But they are also leaving the religion element out of it entirely, which I think is wrong.

However, didn't know that! I must go poking around at HDM sites now for more info...
Mrs_Boyd
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 25, 2005 02:31
Um...I started reading the books at the request of one of my friends, but then I got side tracked. But, from what I read, it was very good.
Bealocwealm
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 25, 2005 04:37
first time i read Golden Compass, i really didn't like it. im not sure why... maybe i was too young and it just became too religious and political for me. Anyhow, i picked it up again recently and really enjoyed it! I continued on with Subtle Knife, then promptly went out to purchase Amber Spyglass.
The whole idea of your soul always being right there for you in a tangible form... Unfortunately i think my daemon would still be in the changing stage, unable to decide and settle down - just like me. Cat, dog, horse, monkey, fish - actually the latter might get inconvenient rather quickly... It's funny though, i'm convinced that my brother's budgie would be his daemon.
I adore Iorek's character and also Lee Scorsby.
I was quite pleased to hear about the movie, but not that they chose to eliminate one of the major plot points. Namely the religious aspect. I hope they can get good actors to portray the characters as well.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email