Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
Post The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy
on: November 22, 2002 03:00
im surprised that no one (as far as i can tell) has started this topic already...

i have actually only read the first book- so i guess i dont qualify as a "proper" fan, but i loved it!

i actually first heard of HHG when i was bored and watching channel 2 one day (for non brits this is an incredably boring channel where re runs and documentaries are shown) and this odd odd program came on... my dad came in and started laughing and quoting odd names and passages

zephod beedlebrox (yes i know i cant spell) and arthur dent and ford prefect... understandably i thought he was going mad! then i watched the show and actually thought it was pretty funny... so i read the books

they are great- what an incredible imagination douglas adams has- some of it seems almost scarily plausable... mice ruling the world

by the way does anyone know about the 42 thing???

i should go look it up it was pretty odd apparently hmm ok making no sense.

so what do you all think of the books and the TV show??
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
Post RE: The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy
on: November 22, 2002 04:24
hmm im beggining to think my science teacher was making it up.....

here the story. we were doing the creation theory and the meaning of life in science and my teacher decided that the hitch hikers guide was a valid theory...no really he did!

he said that the meaning of life was 42 (everyone who has read the first book knows that of course ) and that years ago scientists were doing some research into something to do with planets and the number they came up with was 42.???

the scientists wouldnt publish thier work for a long time due to fear of ridicule... now me having a sad sad life has just been trying to look up and see what this was all about, unfortunatley i cant find anything on the internet does anyone actually know what the thing the scientists were researching was?

anyway here something

not so much a robot "... more a sort of electronic sulking machine" ~ arthur dent

Lollypop
Air Hostess of Gwaihir
Send Message
on: November 22, 2002 04:34
I love the HGG!

I've read it about twenty times, and still laugh at the jokes.

About 42... I think the whole point was, that nobody knows what it means. It's the answer to the question of the Life, the Universe and Everything, but the problem is, nobody knows what the original question was... but since you've read the first book, you already knew this...

In the later books Arthur, Ford and Zaphod are looking for the question, but I'm not gonna spoil it for you by telling if they ever find it!

I've always felt that Douglas Adams has got as far as it's possible in trying to explain the true meaning of the universe...
Scothia
CoE Elder Sister
Send Message
on: November 22, 2002 12:24

I've always felt that Douglas Adams has got as far as it's possible in trying to explain the true meaning of the universe...

What, the miniature alien invasion thing, or the Creator Mice thing, or the Earth blowing up thing, or the towel thing?

Addams was the best ever! I was so sorry when he passed away last year.

I first heard of HGttG years ago, but never got around to reading it. Then one happy day, perusing the local public library, I found the audio book version, read by DA himself. I was absolutely taken with the humor and wit, and hearing it done by the author was just the perfect touch! I highly recommend it--best entertainment anywhere outside of LotR (although the argument could well be made that LotR isn't entertainment, but fair reporting... )

[Edited on 3/6/04 by Scothia]
Toon
Former Giant Three Headed Dog
Send Message
on: November 22, 2002 04:22
the books are great fun....!

(this part is right at the beginning so I'm not spoiling anything)

most of everyone's unhappiness revolved around the movement of small green pieces of paper, which was strange because on the whole it wasn't the little green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

G E N I U S !

Douglas Adams was a very good comedy writer when he was stil alive.. Doug passed away about a half year or a year ago...
Lollypop
Air Hostess of Gwaihir
Send Message
on: November 22, 2002 04:58
All of them, Scothia!

Life doesn't make any sense at all, and it's darn funny sometimes

I didn't know Douglas Adams was dead! I can't believe I've missed a news like that! That is the saddest thing I've heard for a while.
Hathaldir
Ent Enthusiast
Send Message
on: November 22, 2002 08:10
I love Douglas Adams' books. I've got the whole Hitch Hiker's series in one volume, that is nicely worn-in.
We read the first book in English in grade 9, and the only people who had heard of it before (and the only people who liked it) were me, one guy, and the teacher. I lost much respect for my roommate after she told me how dumb she thought it was.
Whitewitch
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 23, 2002 01:12
Another Guide fan here. I've got all four books of the Guide trilogy (where did he get that idea?!) plus some of the Dirk Gently books. He was a brilliant author, and will be sadly missed.
Mhairi
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 23, 2002 01:39
** Raises hand **

I confess! Hitch Hiker fan! Have been since I was 16, when I first read the trilogy (in four parts, of course!) and thought, "Someone gets the joke!".

Marvin the Paranoid Android is a hero and my favourite character, I think.

Will write something more profound once head stops feeling like it is wrapped in cotton wool.

** Wanders off, muttering something about a brain the size of a planet **
Yano
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 23, 2002 09:52
I liked it, and it made sense in a strange way, like the whole flying theory. (I was going to try it with my siblings, and observe the results, but they didn't cooperate.)
Simbelmyne
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 07, 2002 10:14
Love, love, love hitch-hikers guide to the galaxy - I have my dad to blame for that! Worked my way through the BBC radio scripts first, then attacked the book. Then found there was a brilliant PC game Douglas Adams had done. OK, it wasn't Hitch Hikers Guide but it's supposed to use some of the same ideas and I love it!

Marvin and Zaphod are my favourite characters and the computer (Eddie, or something like that) absolutely ROCKS!
Andaariel
CoE Party Planning Admin & Proud Mommy
Send Message
on: December 10, 2002 01:57
HUGE Guide fan here! I stole my father's copy of the book (all parts included) some time ago, and I don't feel bad about it at all...that's how much I like it! When he asks about it I say I'm still reading it. Not a lie considering I reread it once a year or so.
Iarlachien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2002 04:06
This is a strange coincidence that I should stumble upon this thread. I just finished Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy yesterday. I liked it. In fact, last night I asked my mom what she thought the meaning of the universe was. She said she didn't know, to which I grandly responded: " Well I do! 42!"
Liz
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2002 08:52
I LOVE that book! I read the first part... ummm... I'm not sure, I think about 7 times. It's absolutely my favorite book. I've read the other four parts, too, of course, but I like none as much as the first part. One or two years ago I knew half of the book by heart (in German, of course - I bought the English version only this summer). Now I'm trying to learn the whole book by heart.

here the story. we were doing the creation theory and the meaning of life in science and my teacher decided that the hitch hikers guide was a valid theory...no really he did!

Hehe... could've been me. I always try to prove that he was right, too. I've already made up some theories, for example: Scientists say that the earth has a metal core. THAT'S THE COMPUTER!!! And the flying just doesn't work because people always think they'll fall down! (I haven't tried it yet, though)
About 42: I think it could be the answer, but I haven't found the question yet. I'll keep on trying.

Actually, it's only fun when I keep telling people that earth was built as a computer for some mice and that The Answer is 42... but who can prove that it's wrong?
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: December 23, 2002 10:10
yeah the thing about 42 i was referring to was some scientists refused to publish thier research about something to do with planets because the answer was 42 and they thought they would be laughed at i just cant find out what the exact research was about grrrr

Liz
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2002 09:51
Here are some interesting things about 42: http://www.empirenet.com/~dljones/

Enjoy!
Toon
Former Giant Three Headed Dog
Send Message
on: December 30, 2002 05:15
If you guys are interested in that stuff, there's a cool movie called Pi. you should definitely check it out. It's quite dark though.

I heard something about people discovering 9 as a universal constant. This has long been suggested by a branch of Jewish religion called the Kabbalah. Kabbalists use a lot of numerology to describe and explain all sorts of metaphysical things.

The movie I mentioned uses the Hebrew alphabet: the first letter is also the number 1, the second one is also the number 2, and so on. So if I spelled my name in Hebrew, I could add up all the letters and arrive at a number, like 23 or something.

Well if you add up "mother" like that, and take that number and add it up to the number of "father", you get the number for "child", apparently. Pretty nifty...
Eglarest
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 03, 2003 03:00
I must admit I haven't read the books in quite some time but last year when the TV series came out on DVD, I bought it. While we were watching it, I nearly died laughing but my wife didn't get it at all.
CarolP
SuperMom hobbit
Send Message
on: April 17, 2003 11:02
I've read the Guide books a few times. I'm the type of person who reads books over and over if I like them. It's been awhile, since I've been too busy with LOTR books, among other things. Douglas Adams was a great writer!:heart:
Dawn-maiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2003 07:22
I love it, I laughed so much while reading it... I also loved the introduction when he explains how the idea for the title first crossed his mind. I read somewhere that that story is not really true, but it doesn't matter. It's so funny.
Kezia
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2003 11:03
I loved the books!
And there is a german radio play, which is soo much fun! It was recorded in the 80s and it's wonderful old-fashioned (especially the "futuristic" music ). The story is a little different from the books, but it's brilliant all the same

Actually, I named my Computer "Eddie"...
eowynshue
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 10, 2003 11:28
i admit it, all i know about the hitch hikers guide to the galaxy is the "42" thing. lol. if im in a maths exam and i have no idea what the answer is i put "42"! lol

i really should read the book...
Elwethien
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2003 10:55
Yet another guide fanatic here. I've read it about ten times. at one time I actually carried it around in my bag along with a few dog-eared manuscripts and a towel. I'm not kidding! I still quote things from the guide in order to see if people have read it. Some recognise the quotes, others just look strangely at me.
When I heard about DA dying I sat down and cried, he was one of my all-time favourite writers.:cry:

And Eowynshue, you really should read it. It's a great book. All five parts of the trilogy!
Elwen_the_Evil_Dark_Queen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 15, 2003 10:11
In response to the origin of this forum i must say i agree
HHGttG rules the world

I have read all 5 books heard the entire radio series, many many times, and have seen the tv show they rule the world.

The 42 thing

42 is the answer to the ultimate question of life the universe and everything

The question as it happens is

What do you get if you multiply six by nine?

yay!

I am the Evil Dark Queen!
eowynshue
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 16, 2003 01:21
And Eowynshue, you really should read it. It's a great book. All five parts of the trilogy!

I'm reading the first book now! its fun, i was reading it in maths the other day because the work was so boring...
Lady_Goldberry
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 16, 2003 06:45
I haven't read it yet but my nephew loves it..We rented the video and I thought it was ok. IMDb.com says that they will make a movie of HGTGG that will be out in 2005.
eldir
Mirkwood Enigma
Send Message
on: November 19, 2003 05:35
You know, I have a really funny story about this. At least, I think it's funny. And it is absolutely, 100% true. I have the game (it's about 15 years old or so-almost ancient in terms of technology). Now, this game works on the premise that you type in a command, and the computer does that command. Ie, you tell it to 'walk left' and the screen moves left...I'm sure you know what I'm on about and I don't have to try and explain.

Anyway, I was playing it one day (when I was young, of course-about 10 or 12) and I got to this certain stage and all the commands I'd previously used didn't work. So, I was stuck in a room and couldn't get out. Now, my temper got the better of me. I started giving it...well...rude commands. Nasty commands.

Imagine my surprise when it swore back at me.

I promise you, it swore back at me! A little message came up and it swore at me! At the time I was so befuddled that I just got up and walked off (probably with a dozen question marks over my head). I have a sneaking suspicion my older cousin reprogrammed the disk or something as a joke...but I never told a computer to do anything bad again.

I repeat-100% true.
luvlijah
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2004 05:25
My mom loves that book. I never got around to reading it tho...
Wulf_Sternhammer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 01:57
I am yet another major HHGttG fan having read all five books of the increasingly il-aptley named trilogy as well as the first two Dirk Gentlys. And yes 42 is the Ultimate Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life The Universe and Everything and the question actually is "What do you get if you multiply six by nine". Quote"Six by nine! 42! I always thought there was something fundamentally wrong with the Universe".
But to those who have only seen the TV shows you ned to read the books. The TV show was based on only the first 2 books and missed out on some major parts of the story, and even changed a few bits to compensate.
The death of D.A. was very sad, he had a way of looking at things that made the insane, comprehensible, and the opposite also true.
Oh and Slardibardfast rules. .."I told you my name wasn't important"...
Elenisil
Wielder of Lijworld
Send Message
on: February 13, 2004 03:36
ooohhh... I've read it recently (Major Drawback of being Brazilian: you only get to read classics of international literature when you learn English) and loved it!!

I thought the storyline a bit unattractive, really, but the way that it was written made it highly amusing and entertaining. I pitied the robot, but found it the perfect satire of people who don't seem to be able to see the good things in life.

As for 42, I know the question :evil:
luvlijah
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2004 08:10
I just started the first book now and it's pretty funny . I hope I'll love it
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 20, 2004 08:04

he said that the meaning of life was 42 (everyone who has read the first book knows that of course )

no, no, no! it's not the meaning of life!! it's the answer to the question of Life, the Universe, and Everything!! why oh why does everyone get that wrong...i use it as siggys on other forums! yay for odd... people... or elves... or whatever i am...
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: February 20, 2004 08:59
he said that the meaning of life was 42 (everyone who has read the first book knows that of course )

no, no, no! it's not the meaning of life!! it's the answer to the question of Life, the Universe, and Everything!! why oh why does everyone get that wrong...i use it as siggys on other forums! yay for odd... people... or elves... or whatever i am...

Hehe. What I love even more is the mice's 'question' about Life, the Universe, and Everything -- that 'question' would work in an English essay beautifully.

My favourite is Marvin the Paranoid Android -- always manages to make the worst out of everything.
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 20, 2004 09:28
even the doors are happy!!! ooh, woe has beset me...
back to non HHG consciousness! lol
tuttleturtle
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2004 11:24
I LOVE hitchiker's guide...42!...last year a few people read it for a school project (and alot of people had read it before) so now everyone in my school knows alot of the jokes, because the people who read it are so obsessed. If teachers ask 6*9 they get the answer 42. And everyone knows that's base 13...I've read the whole triology, multiple times.

42 is the answer to life the universe and everything.
what do you get when you multiply 6 and 9? is the ultimate question.

Yay, other HHG fans here.

so you all know, "It's a mistake to think you can solve any major problem with just potatoes."-Douglas Adams
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email