Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
~Stella~
Elemmírë of Varda and Merry\'s Illustrated Supper
Send Message
Post Into the West (and Back Again)
on: May 21, 2005 01:15
OOC: the year 3021 and Frodo has just left. I am Merry and Pip is taken and Sam is being held.

Merry watched with wet eyes as the ship with Frodo, Gandalf, Bilbo, Galadriel, and Celeborn departed into the west. Tears trickled down his face. "Oh Frodo," Merry whispered, kicking the ground a little.

He held onto his right arm, which was sore, even though it was two years after he had been wounded. He rubbed his arm and then tugged his Lorien cloak around him a little tighter - even though it was only September, it was getting cold and snow clouds were forming. His eyes drift upwards slowly and was reminded of the time when he first saw mountains.

Merry had never seen a mountain before, save in his imagination, but what he had imagined was nothing like the reality. As he and his eight other companions trekked on, Merry wondered what would lay ahead, what dangers they might see, and what the out come of everything would be like – he could not answer any of those questions, none of the beings he was with could. As he went, he did not watch where he was going and so, suddenly, he ran into something, well someone – Gandalf. Merry heard a slight chuckle come from the wizard and sighed slightly in relief – Gandalf was not mad at him, which is always a good thing. The last time Gandalf had gotten angry with him was when he and Pippin had stolen the finale of the fireworks. “Look up, lad,” he whispered to Merry.
Merry looked slowly up and a gasp came from his lips. He could not believe what he saw. They were majestic, towering, and awe-inspiring in fact – never had he seen such a thing.

Merry blinked and shook his head and the first few snow flakes out of his hair. He gave a heavy sigh, Frodos ship was no where in site any more.

[Edited on 22/5/2005 by ~Stella~]
Sigilien
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Into the West (and Back Again)
on: May 22, 2005 05:32
[Do you mean Sam can't be played? If not, I would like to play him]
~Stella~
Send Message
on: May 22, 2005 05:49
OOC: Correct - I am waiting for someont to tell me if he wants him or not and also if this person does not want him, there is another Sam fan who might, if she does not want him, I will let you know. Is there any other characters you wouldlike? I think this will be largely set in the Shire.

The plot is, right after Frodo leaves, it begins to snow and an epidemic of the winter sickness - Pneumonia - breaks out in the shire. That is all we have right now for a plot.
x_xEruwestieLx_x
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2005 03:02
OOC: Hullo! I shall be playing the part of Pansy Sackville-Bracegirdle. She has red hair, brown eyes, and... well, if you check out her profile, you'll see her. She lives three houses away from the Green Dragon Inn. Oh, and don't the Gamgees live in Bag End by now? If not, then I shall fix it later.

Pansy Sackville-Bracegirdle shivered in the cold. Winter had come early this year, and the most prestigious hobbit in the Shire, Frodo Baggins, was gone. She trudged through the snow, wondering why Frodo had left the Shire. Pansy had long been an admirer of Hobbiton's most eligible bachelor, and dreamed of becoming his bride one day. That day would never come now.
Her toes sunk into the snow, and it chilled her to the bone. Why did work have to fall on such a cold day?. On she went, to the Green Dragon Inn; she worked there as a waitress.
When she arrived, there was a strange sign upon the door. Coming closer to examine it, it read: " Closed-- No admittance, except on employee business". " Oh dear me," Pansy whispered, her breath clouding in front of her. The last time the Green Dragon was closed with a sign in front, something horrible had happened in the Shire.
Taking a deep breath, Pansy pushed open the door, ringing the little bell attached to it. Empty... Everyone was gone, and with no real explanation. Feeling a little worried, Pansy decided to walk out to the Gamgees' residence at Bag End. I hope that Rosie's okay, Pansy thought as she went.
Arriving at Bag End was always like arriving at a small mansion, and a mansion it was, except underground. Pansy walked up the small stone steps and up to the green door. There were many scratch marks, presumably from a wooden staff. I remember that old wizard always liked to visit the Bagginses. This thought made her think of young Master Frodo again, but she shook her head and knocked on the door...

[Edited on 24/5/2005 by x_xEruwestieLx_x]
Baranor
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2005 01:57
OOC : Hi, I'm supposed to play Rosie, so, here goes! *Nervously begins typing.*

Rosie lay in bed looking dismally up at the ceiling. She could hear silence throughout the house.
Elanor began crying. She tried to get up to go to her, but she could hardly sit up.
She heard the door opening.
Footsteps came down the hall, stopped. Elanor stopped crying.
Who would it be, that Elanor would know?
In came Pansy Sackville-Bracgirdle, who placed Elanor in Rose's arms.
Rose tried to smile up at Pansy.
"Thank you," she said, but her voice was raspy, and Pansy did a double take.

"What's wrong?" she asked.
"To tell the truth, I'm not sur-" Rose cut off in a coughing fit.

OOC : I can't go any further without knowing the relationship between Pansy and Rose. *Shrugs*

((Edited because Sam is at the dock with Merry and Pippin. Sorry, didn't catch that before, but it's fixed now.

[Edited on 30/5/2005 by Baranor]
x_xEruwestieLx_x
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2005 02:22
OOC: Pansy and Rosie are colleagues at the Green Dragon. They have been working together there for about 2-3 years by now. So I'd say they know each other pretty well. Perhaps they might even be best friends. But that is entirely up to you, Baranor...
Baranor
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2005 02:31
OOC:Thanks, that helps...You can go ahead and post if you want; I may have to ponder the direction of the story.
~Stella~
Send Message
on: May 28, 2005 03:50
OOC: Also, Sam is at the docks with Merry and Pippin
Hildis_Child
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2005 05:36
As Pippin watched Frodo sail off he started to cry. "What am i going to do now?"he asked himself. How will i ever get along without Frodo? I wish i could have him here with me. "Its getting kinda cold" he thought as he started walking home.
I miss Frodo! he wailed. I know he just left but I still miss him. He was walking and crying at the same time. He walked and didn't watch where he was going and ran into someone. He opened his eyes and realized it was a woman. "She is very pretty" he thought.
She was down on the ground holding her knee. "Whats wrong?" Pippin asked
Nothing, I just hurt my knee, but i should be fine, how about you? The woman asked.
"Im fine, he said Im just stuned. I didn't mean to run into you." he said.
"What is your name anyways?" Pippin asked
"Minto, Minto Cotton" she replied Whats yours?
My name is Pippin, Pippin Took. He replied to her question. Here let me take you home and look at that knee.

Pippin took home Minto and looked at her knee. He said, "It isn't anything serious. Its just a little scratch. So he gave her a bandaid and some ice too put on it. And they stayed and talked for a while. He looked at her and she smiled at him, Thank you. she said with a smile.
"No problem," he said It was my fault anyways.
x_xEruwestieLx_x
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2005 05:53
Pansy walked into Bag End, hoping that nobody would be upset at her for just barging in. Something told her that it would not be a good idea to just wait around, and besides, it was rather cold.
She walked down the hall, having heard Elanor's cries. She found Elanor sitting on the floor next to her mother, Rosie, who looked awful. She was pale, and her cheeks were flushed. Pansy picked up the toddler and set her down on the bed next to Rosie, which calmed her down a little. Rosie smiled weakly and said in a raspy voice, " Thank you..."
" Oh my, Rosie! Whatever is the matter? You look so pale!" Pansy said, feeling her friend's forehead. It was hot to the touch, not a good sign.
" To tell the truth, I'm not sur-" Rose cut off in a coughing fit. This scared Elanor so much, she began to cry all over again. Pansy rubbed Rosie's shoulders as she coughed, and took Elanor up to calm her.
" You don't look too well, I think that we had better call the doctor. I think that you may have pneumonia!" Pansy knew that she was probably right. After all, she had lost her grandfather Grodin to the sickness when she was a teenager. By this time, she had all but forgotten about Frodo. There wasn't any time to be thinking him now, there were sick people to take care of.
Pansy dressed Elanor warmly, let Rosie know that she was going to fetch a doctor and that her daughter would be quite safe with her. She rushed out the door, carrying little Elanor with her, down to the doctor's...
~Stella~
Send Message
on: June 03, 2005 05:11
Merry nodded good-bye to Sam and then trudged up the lightly, snow-covered hill and to his awaiting pony - Shasta. Slowly, Merry mounted. The hobbit stared around at the snow as it fell faster and the wind picked up. Merry wrapped his cloak tightly around him, but it did not help keep the cold and wind from nipping at him and soon, he was soaked and cold to the bone.

Merry sneezed greatly and wiped his nose on his cloak. Just what I need, a cold,he thought as he began to ride home. He stopped when he saw Pippin, bending by a hobbit he did not know. "Hello," he said to her and then looked at Pippin, "I will see you tonight, Pip."

He then flicked his reins and headed home. When Merry got home in the evening, he undressed and got into warm dry, clothes and went to the dining room where there was cream of broccoli andpotato soup ready for him with crusy bread and some hot tea. He sat at and ate his share and he was done, he went to his library and grabbed a book and sat down in his favorite chair. He began to read it, but fell asleep. A fever started to brew and a watery sound echoed from his chest with each breath.

OOC: It is a half days ride about to Buckland from The Shire. Pippin lives in Tookborough.
Nevaeh__Elenath
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 03, 2005 07:25
((Hey, d'you mind if I join? Reginard is in the DB, he's good friends with Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin. He also works at the Green Dragon, so he may know Pansy and Rosie, and lives in Hobbiton.))

Reg shivered. It was cold, he was on his way to work, the night shift as busboy at the Green Dragon, as he arrived he saw a sign on the door.
" Closed-- No admittance, except on employee business".
"What's going on?" he asked to himself. He opened the door, the inn was totally empty. He gulped, and walked around a bit, not a single keg of ale had been opened that day. There was no food, for the cook wasn't there to make any.
"Rosie?! Pansy?!" he called, maybe they were in there somewhere. But there was no answer.
He quickly exited the pub and began walking down the dirt road, he notice a doctor putting a sign on a round door. When the doctor left, he read it, and it sent fear to his heart:
Quarantine
x_xEruwestieLx_x
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 03, 2005 07:51
Pansy rushed down the street, and noticed that the doctor was putting up a sign down the road. It read 'Quarantine'. Pansy gasped, and held Elanor tighter as she rushed up to the doctor, whose name was Hamfast Underhill. " Doctor Underhill, what happened? I need you to come see Rosie, I think she may have pneumonia!"
The doctor sighed, and looked at her with tired eyes. " So do the Grubbs... and the Chubbs. Everyone's coming down with it this year. I think it might be because of this confusticated weather, 'tain't natural." He took his bag and began to go off in the direction of Bag End. Turning around, he said, " Thank you for letting me know. Take care of the little one until Rosie recovers."
Pansy looked at the door, and then saw Reginard, a co-worker and one of her best friends. " Reg! Oh Reg, did you see the sign? It's horrible!" She wrapped Elanor's blanket tighter round the child as she spoke. She was now responsible for keeping track of the girl. Turning back to Reg, she said, " Reg, I have to ask you something... Do you think you could help me take care of Elanor while Rosie is sick?"
Sigilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2005 12:47
[Here I am]

Sam's eyes filled with tears as he saw the boat sail away to the west. Though no single tear trickled down, he was immensly sad. Gandalf, Galadriel, Frodo, Bilbo and Celeborn, All of them he had know, some better than the other, but still, all of them were gone now. 'We should be going home... It's getting colder.' He said, his voice soft. Pippin and Merry were both having tears falling down their faces, and Pippin was wailing.

When Sam left Merry and Pippin, after hugging them tightly, he headed home. On the way he walked past the Green Dragon and read the sign on the door.

" Closed-- No admittance, except on employee business"
And below that:
'Quarantine '

Quarantine? What had happened? Sam looked around if he could see someone who could tell him more. But he did see noone. He didnt open the Green Dragon door, but headed home immeadiatelly.
'Rosie, Have you...' He called out through the big house but he fell silent when he heard loud coughing coming from the bedroom. He paced towards the door with big steps, and opened it. 'Oh my, Rosie!' Sam said softly when he saw Rosie lying in bed, pale and sweating. 'Where's Elanor? Is she allright? What's wrong?' He asked and he held her hand in his. 'Can I get something for you?'
Raea
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2005 02:12
Litheilian watched as her adoptive father sailed away to the Undying Lands. A place that she didn't want to go. Tears ran down her cheeks as she remembered they hobbits watching their friend and compainion leave as well. Then she remembered her fathers words before they came.

~~~
"Litheilian, I want you to promise me that you'll look after the hobbits. With Frodo leaving Sam, Merry and Pippin will need someone to look out for them. We don't know how long the evil will stay away. A new enemy may show up and threaten
Middle-Earth." Elrond looked at his daughter. "Promise me this." Litheilian looked into her father's eyes and saw sadness. "I promise, adar." Elrond smiled as he hugged his daughter.

~~~

She smiled as she remembered her promise and then noticed that the hobbits had left. It would be hard to watch those three for the fact that they live in different sections of the Shire. She mounted her horse Menel, then raced to the Green Dragon.
When she got there she noticed a sign on the door that read: Closed-- No admittance, except on employee business"
And below that:
'Quarantine '
When she read this she tried to figure out where she needed to go. Then she sensed that Sam wasn't happy. She followed those feelings until she came to a house, that she figured was Sam's. She knocked on the door and waited until it was opened and Sam appeared.
"Sam, my name's Litheilian. I'm Elrond's daughter as well a healer. I can help if you want it."
Baranor
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2005 01:09
OOC:By the way, I am also playing Mirabella Brandybuck. She's in the database.

Mirabella huddled by the fire. Must it be so cold? She sighed.
And some people quarentined with the winter sickness. Or so she'd heard, anyway ; but she could beleive it, with it being so cold...
A chill crept over her. Well, no surprise, with her thinking only of how cold it was. She'd have to think of something warmer.
Her little brother, Pongo, climbed into her lap.
"Tell me a story, Mir, please," he demanded.
That would be warmer.
"All right," she said, thought a moment, and began a story about a mouse gathering seeds for his family.

~*~

Rose sat up in bed, supported by pillows, to ease her breathing. She was so tired of coughing. She was glad that Sam was here now to take care of her, but she missed Elanor. At least, though, if Elanor stayed away she wouldn't get sick, but oh, if her Sam got sick, Rosie would go right out of her mind. She almost went out of her mind just thinking of it.
So she musn't think of it. She must be strong. Strong in spirit.
For Sam....
For Elanor.....
For herself.
Exerting such effort, she fell into a blessed sleep.
Hildis_Child
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 17, 2005 02:00
Pippin and Minto talked for the longest time. "Well i must get heading home," Minto said as she started to get up.
She went to stand up and she let go of her chair and started to fall.
Pippin jumped to his feet and ran over to catch her. He caught her just before she hit the ground. "as he gasped for air he said, "Oh my god are you ok?"
Minto replied with a smile on her face, "yes i am, thanks to you."
Pippin's smile was so big you could've sworn it stretched from ear to ear."Would you like to go to the Green Dragon with me some time to hang out?"
"If you want me to i would love to go," She said with a smile
they both had smiles that stretched from ear to ear.
They both smiled at each other for the longest time without speaking. Then finaly Minto broke the silence, "That would be fun, but let me get my knee to feel better.
"Here, would you like me to ride you home?" Pippin asked
"No thanks," she said
Pippin let go of her. She started to stumble,Pippin caught her just before she hit the ground. "here," he said i will give you a ride on my horse.
"Ok," she said.
"Alright," Pippin said. Let me get my cloke back on.
They rode out and talked.
"I live over there," She said with a smile.
They rode over there and they got off the horse. Pippin walked her up to the house and she opened the door and he helped her walk into the house. He helped her down on the couch. He asked, "Where are your pillows?"
"Back in the back room," she said
"Ok" he said and went to get her a pillow. He came back into the room she was in and told her to put her leg up. He went to leave and turned back and grabed her hand and said, "I will be back to check on you tomorrow, and he turned to leave but she kept ahold of his hand. Hu?? he asked.
"I dont want you to leave," she said and pulled him down to his knees and gave him a kiss on the cheek.
He blushed, i guess i can stay l little bit longer.
~Stella~
Send Message
on: June 19, 2005 06:35
Merry woke hours later. The sun had dipped well into West and the only light that lit his room was the full moon, his fire had even burnt out. He would have slept there all night probably if a horrible coughing fit had not jarred him. He leaned against the chair, depleted of all energy. He tried to draw air in, but he could hardly do so. His lungs felt like they were on fire. His whole body ached as well and he felt as if someone had decided to build a fire in him he was so hot, and yet he shivered.

Merry blinked and tried to get a feeling of where he was and why he was there. Slowly, he figured out that he had come into his library to read a book. Merry then wondered where Pippin was. He was supposed to be here, Merry sort of knew, but Merry found that he did not care if Pippin was there or not. He was too sick to care.

He felt another coughing fit come over him and tried to hold it in, but he could not. His body was wracked with the horrible coughs that made every lick of air in his inflamed lungs leave and when he tried desperately to retrieve some of the air, it only made it worse. The fit of coughs lasted longer then the first one had and left him feeling even more worse then before and it also left him feeling very weak. Merry closed his eyes and breathed in slowly, the air felt so good coming into his scorched lungs, though when it left, it was torture. His whole body - lungs and all - screamed in pain. He wanted to moan, to yell, to do something, but he had no strength to do it, so he left his body, lungs, and mind to the screaming for him.

As he sat there, feeling worse then he ever did, he wondered again where Pippin was.
x_xEruwestieLx_x
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2005 01:25
Pansy walked quickly home, sheilding little Elanor as best she could from the wind and snow picking up. As she pushed open the door, she saw out across the Brandywine that Merry's large house had gone completely dark. Strange, she thought, setting Elanor on the floor with some of her old toys, Merry always has a nice fire going, especially in the winter. Perhaps later I could ask what happened to Frodo.
Curiosity plagued her mind, she desperately wanted to see why Merry had put out his fire. She shook her head, telling herself that she had a child to care for. The only problem now was, how to take care of a child at all; Pansy had been an only child, and had no children of her own.
Taking Elanor up again, she wrapped her tightly and headed to Merry's hobbit hole to ask what happened to Frodo, and possibly get some help with the hobbit child...
Nevaeh__Elenath
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2005 05:10
((Sorry I haven't posted in awhile, I've been busy!!))

Reginard followed Pansy, having agreed to take care of Elanor. He too saw Merry's house, and was worried, he followed Pansy into the house. What he saw, scared him.
"Pansy, get Elanor out of here!!" he shouted. He came up to Merry. Who was coughing horribly.
"Merry, it's Reg." he said in a panicked tone. "Come on!! breathe. You'll be all right!!"
~Stella~
Send Message
on: June 25, 2005 01:48
Merry groaned when he heard a soft knocking at his door. Had he locked it? He did not think so, but he could have; he could honestly not remember the last few hours. "I'm coming," he wheezed, which almost sent him into another coughing fit. That was something he did not want right this moment. He couldn't move very well right the moment anyway and the coughing would make it impossible.

Slowly, Merry heaved himself up from his chair. His body protested, but he paid it no heed. Sluggishly, he trudged to the door, though every few feet he had to stop and rest, because he felt as if he might fall over from exhaustion. "I am coming," he would call when he would pause. Merry said that about ten times before he actually got to the door and opened it. A cold, nippy wind blew in and Merry sheilded his face with his arm. When the wind died down, he removed his arm. "Pansy..Reg," he panted.

A sudden fit of coughing took him. His whole body shook as he hacked his lungs out. Merry wrapped protective arms around his waist, letting the door handle go. He bent double and let the fit take its course. It lasted a good five minuted and when it was done, he felt, if it was possible, worse then he had. Slowly, Merry straightened and leaned against the door, trying to regain some of his strenth. After a moment, he stood as tall as he could and placed a hand again on the door handel.

Merry looked at Pansy and Elananor who stood at the door, and Reg, who had come in and was near him, telling him to breathe and the three of them seemed to split into two. He shook his head and blinked again. Merry then saw just one of Elanor, Pansy, and Reg. He was a little stronge feeling toor, though he found he was supportin ghimself by holding onto the door knob.

The hobbit did not look well. He was pale and his skin was clammy. His eyes were red rimmed and watering and his honey curls were plastered to his head from the feverish sweat. He had red spots on his otherwise white face- the spots were mostly on his cheeks - and his chst rose spastically and he inhaled and exhaled and a funny sound came from his chest as he did so.

EowArwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2005 10:04
OOC: I have been asked to play Aragorn and I will accept. Here it goes.

The King Aragorn was sitting by a fire in the great hall with his advisors and other nobles around him. They were making plans to restore the lower tiers of Minas Tirith once spring came. He had invited Legolas and Gimli to attend the meeting since he had appointed Legolas head over anything pertaining to planting trees, flowers, etc. within the city and Gimli was to oversee the rebuilding of the outer wall. The meeting was just about finished when a young boy came running into the great hall, a scroll in his hand. " My lord," he managed to gasp. " I have come from the Shire, in Hobbiton. They...they need...you." he said gasping for air. He quickly handed the King Aragorn the scroll and tried to catch his breath. His cheeks were red from the cold. Aragorn took the scroll quickly and then bade his servants to warm up the messenger and feed him something hot. He sat back down and unrolled it.

[i][/i]" My friend and King Aragorn, We are in desperate need of your help here in the Shire. The winter weather is terribly cold and many of the hobbits are coming down with the winter sickness. Our town doctor cannot see them all, nor does he have the skills needed to heal them. Merry and Rosie have both fallen ill and many countless others. Haste is needed. We beg you to help. Sincerely......"

The writer's name had been smeared but Aragorn heeded it not. Quickly he arose and commanded that his horse be made ready and he himself ran to the Houses of Healing. The others sitting near him were astonished at his behavior and only Legolas and Gimli followed him. " Our friends have taken ill as well as other inhabitants of the Shire. All haste is needed. If you wish to ride with me ready your horses and I will meet you at the stables." Aragorn ran on for a bit and arrived at the Houses of Healing. Once there he requested that Ioreth pack for him all of the kingsfoil, rosemary, spearmint, sage and thyme that she could find. She quickly did so. Aragorn thanked her and grabbing the bag that held these herbs he ran to the stables. Once there he was meet by Legolas and Gimli. The Queen Arwen also was there with questions in her eyes. Aragorn went to her and said, " Arwen, the hobbits are in need of aid. I swore to protect them during the war and I will do so afterwards. I must ride with all haste to the Shire. I do not know when I shall return but take up my seat in my stead." Kissing her on the cheek, he jumped upon his mount and followed by Gimli and Legolas galloped out of the city at an incredibly fast pace. Turning to Legolas he said, " We will be able to reach the Shire within 3 days if we hold our pace and the weather is fair to us." Legolas nodded gravely and Gimli looked nervously to the forboding sky.

OOC: I hope this is okay.
Raea
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2005 10:19
When she received a nod she walked in and headed toward the bedroom where Sam's wife was.

"Hello Rosie Gamgee. I'm Litheilian. I'm a healer of sorts."

When she saw Rosie staring at her ears she laughed.

"Yes, I'm also an elf. I here to help in any way possible. Just tell me what's bothering you."
EowArwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2005 01:55
Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli rode with all haste that that they could muster to the Shire. The weather was not favorable to them however. They were considerably slowed by a snowstorm near Caradhras and were forced to wait another out near Rivendell. But they finally rode into the Shire 3 days after they had set out. Aragorn pulled his horse to a stop and jumped off. Legolas and Gimli did the same. They slowly made their way to Merry's home for it had snowed a bit and the road's condition was not pleasant for their horses to trod through. Aragorn stopped near the sign that read "Quarantine" and sucked in a breath of cold air as if to muster all his strength. Picking up his pace he headed directly for Merry's house. Once he reached it he knocked hard twice on the door and waited for Merry to answer. After a time, when no one came to the door he cautiously opened it and stepped inside. It was almost completely dark within the small hobbit hole and Aragorn, concerned, called out, "Merry?"
x_xEruwestieLx_x
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 01, 2005 08:11
Pansy shook her head at Reginard. She knew that the child she held in her arms was in no danger. Pneumonia was not contagious, at least, not the type that Merry seemed to have.
But still, she passed Elanor to Reg, telling him to take her home, if he was so worried. Then she turned to Merry. Each cough that shook his body sent shivers down her spine; he sounded just awful.
She slowly walked him to his bed, helping him down the hall. He felt rather light, from his ailment, she noticed as he stopped to cough some more. She was halfway down the hall, and Merry had just finished a coughing fit, when a strange Man with a crown came in.
Pansy was terribly frightened, seeing such a tall figure coming in through the snow. " Merry?" it called, looking about. Something about his voice put the lass at ease, but that worried the girl even more.
" Who are you, and why have you come?" she inquired, tightening her grip on Merry's arm. She knew that she couldn't hope to defend herself, much less Merry, against one so big and strong. She resisted the urge to shake, staring in fear at the figure ahead...
Nevaeh__Elenath
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 05, 2005 07:37
Reg took the child in his arms, and saw the man enter. As he looked the strange man over, he thought of someone Frodo had once told him about.
"Are you Lord Aragorn, King of Gondor?" he asked the stranger, looking up at the tall human.
EowArwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 07, 2005 12:45
" I am," he replied. He looked kindly at Pansy. " You have no need to fear, my lady. I am here to help, not to harm." Looking at the child resting in Reg's arms he asked, " Whose child is that?"

OOC: Sorry, I am not sure how long I should make this because it might interfer with a JP me and Stella were working on.
Hildis_Child
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 10, 2005 11:44
Pippin decided to stay for a bit longer. They talk and talked and talked somemore. Then Pippin finaly stood up and said" I must get goin it is getting late. I will come back and see you tomorrow i promise. He walked out the front door and got up on his horse and headed for home.
When he got there he noticed a note on the door. He jumped down and ran to the door, and read the note. It read: Pippin you must come to Buckland. You must get here as soon as you can. So please come soon.
Pippin ran in the house and packed he said to himself "I will head out when I get back from Minto's house tomorrow."
When he woke up the next day he had breckfast and a cup of tea. Then headed out the door. This time he walked over to Mintos house. He walked up to the door an nocked.
She answerd the door oh uh hello. "How have you been?" she asked.
Pippin answerd, Besides the fact I got a note from my cousin in Buckland sayin I have to go there as soon as I can I have been just fine. He left a note on my door sayin I have to go as soon as I can, I have decided to go later on today.
Minto said with a sad look in her face."OK"
They talked for a while and then Pippin said, "i must head home now so i can head out to Buckland so i can see what the big rush is ok im sorry.
"Its ok," said Minto. I know how family means to you.
~Stella~
Send Message
on: July 13, 2005 02:52
OOC: This is a JP between EowArwen, breifly Pansy, and me. I am adding a little bit to the top to blend your last post with the rest of the JP EowArwen.Shall we do part 2 of this JP now Pansy and Eowarwen?

Note from Pansy: Sorry to Eoarwen for using Aragorn a bit in that one sentence...

BIC: Merry looked at Aragorn with a weary smile on his pale, clammy face. He gave a sigh of relief as well, that sent him into a flurry of coughing. The fit lasted a long time and when it finially did finish he was out of breath. Slowly, he took in deep breaths and when he spoke, he rhasped out, "Tis Samwise' daughter Eleanor." Merry took a step away from the door, which made him waver and fall. Darkness took him and the next time he woke it was many hours later.

Merry slowly blinked as he woke and moved his head. Where was he? Merry was not exactly sure for a moment, but soon realized he was in something soft. How long had he been there? Three days, at least Merry figured, but he did not feel any better from the time before. He actually felt worse. His whole body felt as if it might explode or burn up. What had woken him? Voices calling him, but who it was, he was not sure.

Pansy was sitting next to Merry, holding his hand. “Merry!” she gasped. She whispered, “Oh, thank Eru you are awake!”

Carefully, he pushed himself up, glancing towards the other voice that he heard and then turned so that he was facing the door. "I'm in..." Merry called but he could not finish. The worst coughing fit he had ever had took him over. Merry wrapped protective arms around his waist as the coughs shook his whole body. He felt like they would shake him apart! Why wouldn't they stop? They always had. He doubled over as he continued to cough. Oh, how painful it was. It was just a cold. How could I be this bad? This sick? He thought fearfully.

As Merry continued to cough, each flinch the coughs brought on drove their way straight into Pansy’s heart. It made her feel terribly ill. Swallowing, she attempted to hold him steady, but the barrage of coughs was too strong.

Aragorn heard coughing coming from a back room and cursing the darkness under his breath, he finally was able to light a candle and make his way to where Merry was. "Light a fire" he commanded Legolas and Gimli and they hurried to do so. Aragorn found Merry doubled over from coughing and quickly went to him. He sat near Merry and rubbed his back, trying to ease his friend's pain. Worry showed in his grim face.

The fit of coughs went on for some time and when he thought he would be driven insane from the pain, they did stop. Merry closed his eyes and fell against Aragorns chest, too exhausted to sit upright. His nightshirt and hair were damp from his fevered sweat. His chest rose erratically and a wet, thick sound came from with-in his chest.

At Aragorn’s request, Pansy rushed off to gather more kingsfoil. She also felt that someone needed to find Peregrin Took, Meriadoc’s cousin and very dearest friend. Pippin had to be there for Merry, it would help greatly. What the King of Gondor would want with such a simple weed though, she couldn’t grasp.
Strange, how little she knew of this Man from the North, even though they had spent the last few days caring for Merry; She recognized the crown from the tales the Heroes of the Shire (for that was how they were known after the War of the Ring and the Scouring of the Shire) would tell at parties, and so knew from those tales that he was indeed a friend. It was then that she realized that she knew more about the Man than who he was. She shook her head and continued.

Pippin had just come home from Minto’s house after checking up on her leg again, assuring her that she would be just fine in a couple of days. Saying his goodbyes, he had trudged through the Shire, his toes colder than he remembered, except for that one time on Caradhras. He was warming his rather large feet when a knock came to the door.

“ Hullo? Pippin, it’s Pansy!”

Opening the door, the lad found the lass that often had served him his drinks at the Green Dragon. It was closed for quarantine, he at least knew that much. Looking at her face, Pippin noticed that Pansy’s face was wrought with desperation. “ Why, Pansy! Ye look like ye have seen a ghost!”

Pansy gasped for air, having run all the way from Merry’s. “ It’s—Merry, he… He is sick. With—with pneumonia!” She shivered in the snow, not from the cold, but for fear. “Please, please, Pippin. Aragorn has asked me to find Kingsfoil, which he called Athelas. I need ye to help me, and be with Merry!”

Pippin’s face went almost as pale as Pansy’s upon hearing that his best friend in all of Middle Earth was terribly ill. Taking her hand in his, he exclaimed, “Come, there is no time to lose! Let’s go fetch the athelas!” The two hobbits ran off into the darkness of night, rushing to help their friend.

Aragorn lifted Merry up off of his bed and carried him into the sitting room where Legolas and Gimli had a fire going in the fireplace. " It will be alright Merry," he reassured his friend. He asked Legolas to move the couch closer to the fire and he laid Merry down on it. Going back into Merry's room, Aragorn took as many blankets as he could with him and laid them over his friend. He knelt near him and felt his forehead. Merry was drenched in sweat and hot to the touch. "Heat some water Gimli and bring it here." While Gimli hurried to do so, Aragorn asked Merry, "When did you come down with this sickness? Do you know who came down with it first?"

Merry barely felt Aragorn pick him up in his strong, embracing arms nor did he really notice as he carried the ill hobbit swiftly into a room down the hall. However, through it all, he felt pain and a coughing fit preparing to erupt at any moment. Merriadoc, though, was slightly aware of being lowered onto another surface, what it was, Merry was not exactly sure, but he knew it was something soft. Slowly, Merry opened his eyes. He saw Aragorn kneeling by him, though he was blurred. "Four days...right after Frodo left," Merry panted out in a hoarse voice. Slightly Merry shook his head. He did not know. "Everyone is coming down with Winter Sickness," Merry hissed, coughing a few times, "No one gives it...it just invades. Bad Sick."

Merry sat up straight and then doubled over as yet another coughing fit came over him. When he was done hacking, he flopped down onto the couch, depleted of the little energy he had. Merry closed his eyes and did not move nor speak for a while; he seemed to doze. Then, after fifteen or so minutes Merry mumbled, "Pip has had it - when he was little."

Gimli came back with the heated water and Aragorn dipped some cloths in it. He then placed them on Merry's chest, to soothe his coughs and with the rest of the water, he crushed athelas and rosemary into it and dipped another cloth in it and mopped Merry's forehead. He held the bowl before Merry's face for a bit also, to calm his coughs. He then placed his hand on Merry's forehead once again and sighed inwardly. Merry would need all the help he could get from his friend and Aragorn was weary from traveling. Nonetheless he became very interested when Merry said, " Pip has had it-when he was little."

" Then I must send for him at once. It is likely he is immune to this illness and perhaps he can tell what has been done for him when he had it." Legolas and Gimli rose and offered to go and find him. Aragorn nodded and they left to find Pippin. Aragorn again turned to Merry and took his arm in his. He became alarmed when he found that it was somewhat cold. " Merry, Merry," he repeated to his fevered friend. " Your arm, does it hurt?" When a long pause followed, Aragorn bent forward and again said, " Merry, I must know if your arm hurts. I know it is hard but please answer me."

Merry felt his chest muscle spasm slightly when the hot cloth was placed onto his chest, but quickly the spasms stopped and he felt himself relax and some of the ache ebb away slightly. Merry inhaled the strong, pungent aromas, making his bronchial tubes open up slightly, which in turn made his breathing easier than it had for the four days he had been ill. Slightly, the hobbit jumped when his healer placed a hand on his forehead - it had startled him -, Merrys mind had drifted off to some far place where it was sunny and a perfect day, with sweet herb fragrancing the world. Wearily Merry opened his eyes when Aragorn whispered his name twice.

“Everything hurts,” Merry mumbled, “My chest…my legs…my back…my arms aye, but not so much as my chest and back.” The hobbit closed his eyes and fell into a doze, but woke a little bit later, with coughing. The hobbit held onto the couch with a death grip, as he did so, and by the time, he was done with the coughing he was crying from the pain, and his nightclothes looked as if he had been dunked into water, they were so wet. With one last cough, a small amount of green phlegm, which had one little spot of red in it, came out. The lad lay back wearily and closed his eyes. ‘No more talking,” he begged hoarsely.

Aragorn had seen this illness before, when he had lived among the Dunedain, but he had never seen it this fierce before. He rubbed Merry's back as he coughed, for it was all he could do, for the moment. Aragorn became alarmed at how hot Merry was and knew his fever had to be broken if Merry was to survive, at the moment he was much too hot. So, he went outside and filled a pail with the snow that lay around the hobbit hole. Going back inside he told Merry, " This is going to feel almost unbearably cold but I must get your fever down." With that, he took a handful of snow, wrapped it in a thin cloth and laid it on Merry's forehead and chest. After he had done so, he then placed his hands on Merry's head and chest and hummed a sweet, low, Elvish healing chant. The effect was to relax Merry to the point where he could sleep, without pain and interruption from anything, for a few hours. He hoped Legolas and Gimli would return with Pippin soon, and that Pansy would bring the athelas.

Merry whimpered as he lay on the couch. His eyes were closed, but his eyes moved under the lids. He bit his lip and clutched the blankets in his clammy hands. He squirmed and tossed from the fever. Wearily, Merry opened his eyes when Aragorn spoke. All Merry did was nod, he did not wish to speak because of the coughing that would come with it, and he was too tired too do so anyway. Merry hissed as Aragorn put the snow on him, but he did not fight him for the same reasons. The snow melted almost as soon as Aragorn had placed it on him. The water mixed with the sweat and made him, if it was even possible, wetter.

Merry wearily closed his eyes and fell asleep quickly. He felt no pain or anything for the first time in a while, though his fever did not subside and his chest raddled with the sticky phlegm. The ill hobbit woke a few hours later with a strange gasp. His eyes were wide. The hobbit sat up straight and tried to get air in, but it was in vain. The only sound that came from his throat was a squeak and a funny wheezing sound. Merry looked around frantically. “HHhhhh….” Merry was trying to say help, but he could not. He felt himself go dizzy and the threat of unconsciousness took him. Merry grasped the couch tightly and suddenly started to cough. The green phlegm that was closing his throat up was coming up finally and there was even more blood in it. He lay back when it was all over. His eyes closed and he fell into a darkness that was neither wakefulness nor sleeping. He could hear everything, but he could not see nor could he respond to anything that was asked to him.

Slowly the world melted away and around him. The dissolved world, slowly resolved and he was in Hobbiton with his cousins – Frodo and Pippin. They were all a lot younger. There was a blanket spread over the ground and a large assortment of food was laid out over it. The three hobbits were enjoying the food greatly and were not paying attention to the sky nor the weather. They only looked up, when large, fat drops of rain hit them squarely on the top of their heads. “Lets go,” Merry yelled, not only in his fake reality and in the real, though it was in a moan. The young hobbits scampered up and started to run to the closest shelter.

Merry shook uncontrollably. He kept grasping and ungrasping his blankets. He kicked his legs listlessly. Merry tossed and turned aimlessly and his head rolled pointlessly from side to side. His chest rose erratically and with the sound of chain mail. His face was scrunched up with pain and discomfort.

Pansy and Pippin were on their way back, arms full of all the athelas they could find, when they found Legolas and Gimli rushing towards Pippin’s house. Running as fast as they could without dropping any of the precious herbs, they reached the gate at the same time as the dwarf and elf.

“ Gimli! Legolas!” Pippin cried, glad to see his friends again. It had been many years since he had seen them. Jerking his head back toward Pansy, he introduced them. “ This is Pansy Sackville-Bracegirdle. She told me about Merry.”

Gimli and Legolas nodded, having already met the lass. The group made their way towards the Brandybuck Estate, hoping that their friend would heal soon

Aragorn turned Merry on his side so he wouldn't suffocate from the phlegm in his throat, rose, and quickly heated a kettle of water. He was making Merry some spearmint tea to clear his throat when he heard gasps and moans from the couch. He went back to Merry and took his hand once again. " Merry, it is going to be alright. Just relax." he paused and whispered, " Go to sleep.......sleep...." and he watched as Merry's eyelids fluttered and closed. He then returned to the tea he was making and made it as strong as he possibly could. He left it over the fire to keep it hot until Merry awoke. " I must go to Rosie as well," he thought to himself. "But I must wait until Pippin arrives and then he can look after Merry for a time until I return." Aragorn then went and sat on a chair across from Merry and watched him intently.

Merry heard and felt Aragorn as he took of Merrys hands and spoke to him, of course, but the ill hobbit did not respond to the kings’ touch or voice. Relax? How may I relax? I cannot breathe! This is bad, very bad, He thought, You don’ even know how bad this is! I am worse then even Pippin got and he about died. A strangled sound came from his tight throat at the last word that entered his mind. Merry was dying and there was not much that could be done; except hope and to try to remove the fluid from his lungs.

Merry was with his dear Pippin. They were fishing, laughing, and having a grand time. Merry stood as something pulled on his line. The hobbit pulled back, but he was pulled in and under the water. Merry gasped and water filled his lungs.

Merrys face turned chalky white and the skin around his lips were pale blue. His chest barely rose and with the pitiful breaths that came into his lungs, a sound of death echoed from deep within.

Aragorn rose and grabbed Merry. He sat him up straight and began to hit his back slightly, to loosen up his throat. " Come on Merry, you can make it through this." He laid Merry back down, took a cloth, dipped it in water, and mopped Merry's forehead once again. Aragorn then went and filled a cup with the spearmint tea he had made and sitting Merry up once again tried to get him to swallow at least a little. " Just try to swallow a bit Merry, it will help you." When Aragorn got a very small amount down Merry's throat, he rose and crushing more athelas, he soaked a few rags in it and laid them again on Merry's chest. He held the bowl once more in front of Merry's face. His thoughts drifted back to when he first had healed Merry, almost 4 years ago. That time he had been successful but he did not know if he had the power or skill to heal him this time. If only he had brought Ioreth with him for she was the most skilled healer in all of Gondor. Sighing, Aragorn tried to brush away the "what ifs" and held Merry's hand in his. " You cannot give up Merry. There are people who need you, Pippin for instance. You are very dear to him and if you were to die, he would never recover from the shock. You must pull through this and be strong, my friend. Not only for you, but for those who love you as well." Aragorn ran his hand through Merry's curls and wondered to himself how long it would take Legolas and Gimli to find Pippin.

Merry could scarcely feel or hear anything. His mind was muddled and his body felt as if it was not there. He felt himself sinking – sinking into darkness of the deepest depths of an inky lake. Suddenly, he felt as if he was being pulled out and the water/poison come out of his tortured lungs. The fluid was a horrible shade, a mix of green and red – which looked a little like rust or clay. With one last cough and some more phlegm coming out he gave a shiver and was still. Slowly, he opened his eyes. He did not know where he was or why he was there. All he knew pain, heat, and near impossible breathing. He heard someone speaking to him, but had no clue who it was or what he wanted, though that was soon figured out. Hastily, he shook his head slightly. Merry did not want the concoction being offered to him. He absolutely hated spearmint. Merry was startled when, the person tried to make him drink it. Some went down and he about gagged. The hobbit sputtered and whimpered. The drink had hurt his already chaffed throat.

Merry felt a small amount of relief when the person placed something hot on his chest. That was where heat was helping, not his throat. His muscles relaxed and the hobbit found he could swallow just slightly without wishing to scream from the torture. He heard the person speak again. He did not understand what was being said, except for one word – Pippin. What about Pippin? Had something happened to him? Was he ill? Worry came into Merry's still slightly chalky features. He rose slowly, though the hobbit did not know it. Merry had to get to Pippin - he just had to! Merry let out a whimper, a cry of fear and pain.

[Edited on 13/7/2005 by ~Stella~]
Celebnor
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2005 12:04
(OOC : I hope you don't mind me joining. You can find Lilac Baggins in the DB)

Lilac Baggins rushed back and forth through her home, packing many of her assorted things. The Winter Sickness had already infected several hobbits. She had decided just a few hours earlier to check up with all of her friends (except for Frodo, of course) to make sure they hadn't caught the sickness. She decided first to go to Sam and Rosie's house, since they were in town. She was especially worried about Rosie because the Green Dragon was closed and wondered if it had something to do with her.

Lilac was trying to stuff some clothes, some food (for when she went to visit Pippin and Merry later), and other random items into a small bag, but they were not fitting. At one last attempt to pack her things without having to take something out, she managed to close the bag before everything burst through the hole in the top. She smiled, and put on her coat and boots before she trudged into the deep snow.

By the time she got to Bag End, Lilac was freezing and had snow in her boots, in her clothes, and covering her hair. The trip had taken at least twice as long as it did on a normal day. She rushed in the door, and stood for a moment just standing in the hallway. Suddenly, though, she heard hoarse coughing in a different room. She ran to the sound and saw Rose lying in bed. She didn't notice Sam and..an elf? for a few seconds afterward. She bit her lip and said, "Oh no," completely unable to think of anything else to say.

[Edited on 14/7/2005 by Celebnor]
~Stella~
Send Message
on: July 17, 2005 09:33
OOC: Posting this for Baranor. She is having trouble posting stuff on here.

BIC: Mirabella shivered on the cart. Her father had an errand, and had given her the option, she firmly reminded herself, to come. The cart pulled up in front of Mr. Meriadoc's house. He always wanted a packet of Southern Star, and he was at the beginnning of thier rounds.
There semed to be a strange gathering in the yard. Mirabella drew in her breath. Was that - one of the - the Big People?
This was strange indeed.

Rose stared at Lithelian.
An Elf? They were strange folk. But when Sam spoke to her of them, his voice held no fear.
And a healer, also. (Rosie passed over the "of sorts".) Hope rose up within her. Someone to help! But she must describe her - her - what was that word, heard long ago - her symptoms. She thought a moment. "Well, I cough a lot," she began. Lithelian nodded noncommitally. Encouraged somehow by "that elf's" reaction, Rose continued.
"And I feel weak, and sometimes the room spins about, and sometimes - no, almost always - I'm short of breath. And I hear a clicking noise right here." Rose indicated a spot on her chest.
After this exertion, mild though it was, Rosie rested, sitting back on the pillows to await her - what was the word - diagnosis.
She noticed another hobbit in the doorway. Who? What...
Everything was so strange. She must concentrate on something. Not that elf...Nor her sickness...Sam. Sam was there. She looked at him and managed a small smile.
Sigilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 27, 2005 03:56
[I so totally forgot about this thread, i am so sorry!]

Sam smiled back at her.
Then he turned to the elf. "What does she have? Can you help her?"
It just happened that he heard a voice outside, for it was so silent in Bag End, that he recognised as Legolas'.
"I will be right back Rosie. I might be hearing someone familiar..."
He moved out of Bag End quickly, seeing Legolas, Gimli, Pippin and another hobbitgirl (wich name I cant remember right now).
"Legolas!" Sam cried out. "Gimli! What are you guys doing here? It might be not so safe to be in the shire now, everyone is turning sick! Rosie is allready, and Merry too... How is he? Do you know?"
~Stella~
Send Message
on: July 27, 2005 04:52
OOC: I am going to temp Pip till Pansy is back and Gimli and Legoas can be played by anyone.

BIC: Legolas looked at Sam. He gave him a weary smile. "We have come with Aragorn. He is in Buckland with Merry," Legolas replied. The elf and dwarf exchange glances. "Aye, we know that Rosie and Merry are ill. That is why we have come." Legolas sighed and pressed his lips together. "Not, well Samwise, not well at all." he whispered, "Gimli, Pippin, Pansy, and myself must get back there. Aragorn, requested that Pippin be brought as soon as possible."

Sigilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 27, 2005 05:00
[hmm... were leggy gimmy and pippy near bag end then?]

"Aragorn is here too? How do you mean Merry is not well at all? Must I come with you?" Sam started to worry about Merry immediately and he looked back at the Bag End door.
~Stella~
Send Message
on: July 27, 2005 05:39
OOC: Yeah, I think so.

BIC: Legolas nodded his head. "Aye, he is. Aragorn will be coming over soon to see to Rosie," the elf told Sam, " I mean what I say, master hobbit: Merry is not well." Legolas shook his head. "Nay, stay with your wife," Legolas said.

Pippin shifted uncomfortably. He felt the need to get to Buckland this moment.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email