Register

Author Topic:
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post Why do you rp?
on: May 23, 2005 04:24
(hope this is in the right spot!)
There are several different reasons I rp- one is to work with other writers on something we share a common interest in. (Its hard to find people around my town who love middle-earth as much as I do)
Another reason is that it's a great escape from the mundane and depressing turnings of reality. When things are getting too annoying or depressing in real life, its nice to escape to another world. The same effect as reading a good book, if you ask me.
Lastly...... I just find it fun! What could be better than sending your poor character on some insane journey into a forsaken place, only to pull them through at the last moment? Or give them a terrible death... either way

So, why do yall indulge in rpgs? I'm interested to know what my fellow CoE- rpers think!
Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
Post RE: Why do you rp?
on: May 24, 2005 12:03
To satiate my creativity, to 'experience' things I couldn't really experience, to improve my writing skills and to have fun
arwen_the_evenstar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 24, 2005 09:59
Well on reason is 'cos I love writing from a viewpoint of a charrie. Also now this is kinda embarrassing: well i really wish that I could live in a world like Middle Earth. The modern day world is full of: fighting and murders and crimes and horrible people and god knows what else. But RPGing gives me a chance to escape to a world where people are polite and kind and considerate towards you rather than rude or hurtful!
Well that is the main reason! :blush:

Namarie
~Arwen Undomiel
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 24, 2005 11:51
dont be embarassed about that its fun to play a character and imagine you're in middle-earth and getting away from this world and its problems! its the same as when I watch the movies or read the books. ^_~
Alsin_of_the_Forest
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2005 12:22
I have no social life and seek to add meaning to my sad existence by meeting wierd cyber friends!!!!

Luv ya all!!!

Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2005 05:08
*laughs* Yeah that is partly me too. * :wave: to Alsin*
It's the actor and the writer in me that keeps bringing me back to the RPG forum. It's not like writing your own story because you don't control all the characters so there is an element of surprise at how things will develop. So in that way it's more like acting cause you develop a character and then become him or her within the story. But you don't have to deal with the late night rehearsals and the green room.
VilyaTook
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2005 05:48
I rp for much of the same reasons as you guys. I've been writing for as long as I can remember, and this gives me a chance to test my creativity and escape into a wondrous fantasy world. It's also an opprotunity to meet some really cool people. Although I must say, sometimes I'd to meet a person's character in real life more than I'd like to me them lol
x_xEruwestieLx_x
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2005 07:45
Me? I RP in here because my friend asked me to. I didn't know what to expect, and went for it. I am now in 6 different threads, and enjoy it very much. I've only been at this thing for a month or two.
Anyhoo, I also enjoy RPing for many of the same reasons. I find that using the same characters in different threads makes for an interesting development. Roleplaying gives me the freedom to make choices without consequences, and I like the feeling that I get when that character does something right.
I know, I am babbling and carrying on, but RPing has become a part of my weekday life. I check in nearly everyday, and I make sure that I keep up. I have recently become a fan of writing, and I write more and more each day. I love this Forum!
~Pansy (My most commonly used charrie)
Faero
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2005 08:26
I RP because it offers a break from the real world. It's also a great way to help break writer's block.

I have to laugh at people (like one of my Norwegian friends) who think that RPing is "lame", as I find those folks take life a bit too seriously. It's great to step into a chara's personality and have fun a bit.

Kippis!

~Faero
Annûniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 25, 2005 09:22
Because I'm a geeeeeek! Lol! No seriously...

I wanted to be a writer for a long time, before I got into horses, but the drive is still there. I find that RPing is like writing a story with a few other people. Combining our ideas and thoughts onto a storyline is always fulfilling. I find it helps the mind come up with new ideas. The thrill of making a character and playing out their lives...

And yes I have to say sometimes it is nice to step out of "reality" and into a fantasical world in which I wish I could live. It lets me live there if only in a few hours. Kind of like my own Never Ending Story!
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2005 12:46
My reasons for RPing echo mostly all of the above.

Through my characters I can rid myself of the dullness of real life, or exorcise my anger without actually doing any harm to man or beast, I can find the perfect mate and be treated exactly as I want.

I used to write at school but over the years, with work, children and other stuff, it fell by the wayside. Joining CoE and reviving my hidden and long forgotten moderate talent, I look forward and enjoy every minute I spend meeting up with my charries, mostly every day.
Lady~Shay
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2005 05:22
why do i RP.....not very difficult

well, i have recently found out a way to explain it: it is the strangest yet securely pleasing way to express yourself.

i mean, wow its great to *pick* your chara and make them move and just live. you feel like your bringing life to a story...its great! and the best thing is, you can add as much or as little of yourself into it and make it work the way you want. kinda like fixing what you didn't get to do that day...like, i spill something...my lil elf can be a bit klutzy too right? i think my fave of my own charas so far is Tína, just because i've developed her so much that she's really her own chara as much as mine.

so, everybody out there who loves RPing as much as the rest of us....let your stories flow!
Farith
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2005 05:31
I love to rp because you can be someone that you couldn't be in real life. Like my rp charrie is an Elven warrior and I get to show how strong and leaderlike I am...I can't usually do that in a house of five and I'm the middle child. I also get to meet new people and make friends...its great
DFK6498
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2005 05:13
I RP because it is a way for me to escape. I can just become so immersed in the story that it is everything to me. It's like I really am there, and I really am my character...It is also fun to just have a story that you never know what is going to happen next, that level of uncertainty makes it a load of fun for me! It's just bloody brilliant!

cheerz!
arwyn
Nessa_Telemnar_of_Doriath
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2005 10:40
I'm a long term sufferer of manic depression who needs to express herself in a way that hopefully won't result in anyone's death...

That and I'm gathering experience for when I publish my first book...which hopefully will be within the next couple of years...wheee!

I need to escape from reality and express myself in a way I can't in real life...let people I've met know about me so they won't judge me like the people I have met.So I have some friends out there in the big wide world!!!
anduril269
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 28, 2005 12:47
Loving your avatar, Nessa!
I rp because it's really fun - and a great way to improve your writing skills. Practice makes perfect! Anyway.. it's just really good being able to interact with people all over the world...
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2005 10:50
1. Red Dawn
2. People like DD and Andy and elflyn
3. Because I love to see other writers and read what creative stuff their brains can spew out.
4. It's a whole lot of fun.
5. You can't get in trouble for it. Much.
6. Because of all the twists and turns.
7. I have no social life other than on the comp.
_mithrim
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2005 11:00
I have no social life and seek to add meaning to my sad existence by meeting wierd cyber friends!!!!

Me to! *shakes head sadly* Me to.

lol. Well, that and it's basically like group story writing. I like not having full control of the plot so I'm wondering where it's going to end up. Also it's always fun to contribute and get to know your character...or is it the character gets to know you???....

[Edited on 28/5/2005 by _mithrim]
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2005 11:37
Definitely the latter. The character existed the whole time; we just had to uncover them.
Tariel_Vanari
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2005 05:25
The whole reason I rp is to get to know my characters (ok, maybe not the whole reason, but a big part of it). It's not that difficult to figue out how a character will react in a situation that you - the author or whatever - puts them in, but when you throw that character in with several other characters - created and controlled by people who are...well...not you - you learn a whole lot more about the character. I write fantasy stories (ok, I really only have one), and I use the characters from my story as my rpg characters so that I can learn more about them.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 11, 2005 05:55
trying to revive my own sad little thread...

1. Red Dawn
2. People like DD and Andy and elflyn

thanks, Sal!! :love: same for you!... writing with people like you and the rest of the 'red dawnies' makes rping a wonderful experience... great way to make friends because you know... we do discuss things apart from our thread from time to time... *cough*horsies*cough*blisters*cough*coconuts*.... and the people in your thread sometimes become your haven, because the thread itself does so.
purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 11, 2005 11:50
No problem with trying to reasurect it! And for what my opnion counts... it's not a sad little thread.

It's a haven. Like Nessa_Telemnar_of_Doriath, I suffer from manic depression (as well as autisim) and it acts as an escape. I use it to try and work with my writing skills, but also I find it helps acting, because when I write I slip into character. And of course, people! I get to pretend to be socialble!

(And, anyway, it's fun. )
LizzyB
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 12, 2005 08:48
As most I have no life . . . wait. Gwen do I have a life?? Never mind lol

It helps my writing skills

I get to be Evil and not worry about consequences except who's going to get in trouble for it :evil:

At one point I was diagnosed with MPD so this is a way to help me deal with all my little people who live with me lol. Most of them are nice. It's Navinai and Ril you must watch out for
iwishiknew
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 12, 2005 12:32
I RP because it is something I am good at and love doing. It allows me to force an alternate personality of mine on someone else who can't conplaign and then watch them react to the psycho things that I do.
High_Angel_of_Death
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2005 10:45
I RP because, well, i have no life and it's oodles of fun
Aranel_Toroniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2005 02:16
I RP b/c I find I can make my characters do things I would not do myself. Besides that, it's fun and I get to interact with other people.
Dire
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 28, 2005 08:21
I like to RP because I have so many characters (not so many LOTR related but that can change) And I love seeing how they interact with characters of someone else's creation.

Like one of my tieflings, he's a bit rough, and it was funny just seeing how the other characters reacted when he paid for an ale. His idea of payment was a pair of rings, very expensive in price that were still attached to the fingers of the person he had just eliminated.
He just threw them on the table like it was nothing and left...

I'm prone to doing random things with my characters so beware Lol!

I look at roleplaying as if I'm writing a story that I'm sharing with others. And I love writing when I don't have to control all the other characters, it makes things easier.. hehe
atheniel_
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 25, 2005 08:06
I love roleplaying... mostly because it's fun, you get to experience what you wouldn't normally experience, share your creative prowess. It's also a nice way of relieving your personal feelings through the writing
minyaliel_níniwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 26, 2005 06:23
Well... I suppose I should have joined some RpG thread here before posting this lol, but oh well...

I've been roleplaying for at least the last five years. First, it was to improve my almost non- existant english. *g*. Then I got addicted to it - and I started writing stories. But, as of today, I'm Rp'ing because I think it is a challenge; being a member of several RpG sites, only one (except this one) LotR themed one. And I also play both evil, neutral and good characters, males and females. And, just to mention, I'm not an evil- kind of person, so it is challenging for me to write authentically evil. So, it's an excellent writing exercise and a fun one, too:love:
Nyamh_Cresent
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2005 04:58
I've been role-playing since I was in first grade and it's still going strong!!!!!!!! It's soooo fun. And it's been the same game the whole time!!!! :love:
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2005 09:20
I love RP because I have gotten to know people around the world. It is great to write. I haven't written since I was a teenager. I never knew I could write until I got in touch with CoE. When I found out in one thread they were starting a RPG, then I joined. I have had fun at it ever since. It's been just over a year that I have been in one thread.

My life got boring until I got a computer and got the internet. Since then I have spend 3/4 of my time on the computer. It has become my life.
rivindell_magic
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2005 07:27
Thats a good question. Why do I roleplay? *thinks untill her brain hurts* Well I supose it is because it lets me enter a world different from my own, and do things that I could never humaly do, and meet people that I never would have met!That and it gives me something to look forward too....I mean what's better than getting on and seeing that you have a post to write? That and the feeling you get when you are finished writing and you can sit back and read it and smile and then post it after hours of hard work and much editing. ^^That plus it is an escape from reality.....which I need....a lot. :love:

[Edited on 12/27/05 by rivindell_magic]
Oromisrocks404
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2006 02:07
I rp so i can go someplace else that isn't this world. If you rp with a book or move you like then you can auctually be there and go beyond the story.
Fallen_Valor
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2006 04:54
well, who doesn't want to march into battle, fight bad guys and be hero. Run around doing awesome stuff without school work, whatever. Magic...magic elves, trees, rings...awesome..but not real(I think). Is this as close as we get (without our dreams)? I say (one word) "itsurefreakin'is".
So the question is "Why on Earth would you not rp?" :cheers:

[Edited on 18/1/2006 by Fallen_Valor]
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: September 23, 2006 05:45
I've only starting RPing for about 2-3 weeks, and I love it already! I love creating characters and writing their history, and combined with LotR, what else is there to say? Huggles all around!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email