Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: KEEP: The smell of the sea (Permission by PM only - please see OOC before joining)
on: January 03, 2006 02:00
Earwen watched the newcomer, Drandwen, and Manveru talking. This Dranwen seemed to be rather nice and Earwen was actually looking forward to getting to know her. It would be nice to have a female friend. It had been a long time indeed since she had had a real close friend. There had not been anyone since - yes, since Sûlfëa. Oh Sûlfëa, Earwen thought, I could use your company now...

Then Tulcaráto's voice interrupted her thoughts. "When we get to Sarn Athred," the elf asked her, "What would you wish to look for in a mount, Earwen? - Anything in particular in temperament? Something that you liked in a horse you've ridden before?" "No," she answered, her mind still on Sûlfëa. "I never had a horse of my own. I took the one I was given and rode it." Then she realized that she had been rather rude, she smiled at Tulcaráto rather apologetically and added "Well, it would be best if you selected a mount for me - you do know a lot about horses..."

They spoke for a while longer, when Manveru quietly left the camp, Earwen looked after him, wondering where he was going. But she was too tired to ponder on it for long. She was getting really tired and she was hurting again. "If you wish," Tulcaráto offered , "use my lap as a pillow - the ground is quite hard for sleeping. In the future, we'll look for more comfortable places to stop - if any are to be found."

Thankfully Earwen accepted the ellon's offer and lay down, her head in Tulcaráto's lap. It did not take long before she had fallen asleep.

But with sleep came the dreams. Earwen felt someone stroking her hair. "Wake up, sleepyhead" - she recognized Maglor's rich voice. Smiling she opened her eyes to look into the all familiar face. Slowly she raised her hand to touch his cheek and drew him down towards her into a kiss. From next to the bed she heard a happy cooing. "Look," she said, "Lythfaen is awake. She wants to wish her daddy a good morning." Maglor turned towards the cradle at the end of the bed, talking softly to his daughter. The she could hear a loud noise and some arguing down the hall. "Seems like your sons are also up." Earwen laughed. This calls for a big breakfast!"

The voices and the laughter died around her, suddenly she was cold. She opened her eyes and all she could see at first was darkness. Then she saw the small fire and heard Tulcaráto's regular breathing. She knew that she had dreamed - the shock of reality nonetheless stayed with her for a while. She got up, carefull not to disturb Tulcaráto and sat down next to Manveru, who was obviously keeping watch. She sat down next to him, briefly looking at the elleth, curled up next to him, who it looked was sleeping as soundly as Tulcaráto. She said nothing, just stared into the fire, like Manveru, who seemed to be lost in thoughts of his own.
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
Post RE: KEEP: The smell of the sea (Permission by PM only - please see OOC before joining)
on: January 03, 2006 04:41
Manveru returned to the campsite, and sat before the fire, staring into its flames, remaining lost in thoughts. In his heart, he had chosen not to return to Valinor with his sister because he felt his ties were here, in Middle Earth. But he had watched what Morgoth and his armies had done to this beautiful place, seen the countryside ravaged, his friends and family fall at the hands of orcs and wolves, the land and its people and realms destroyed and desolate. What was there to stay for now?

That is, until he sensed Earwen's presence at his side. He glanced at her, noting she was shivering slightly. He rose long enough to remove his cloak and he turned and wrapped it around her shoulders. "Here, Earwen, wear this. The night is chilled." Sitting back down on the log, he stared once again into the fire. Softly, he spoke to her. "Earwen, I cannot begin to tell you how sorry I am for your losses. I was just sitting here thinking of all the losses of many here on Middle Earth. When we find Cirdan, maybe it would be best for you to return to Valinor. I am sure there must still be some of your people there in Alqualondë." He noticed from the corner of his eye how her head rose immediately, and he turned to look at her. The devastation and despair were clear in her eyes and he hastened to add, "Once we have found Maglor, of course," he reassured her.

He got up and added some logs to the fire, which had been dying down to embers. The night had gotten much colder and he knew that Earwen was still recovering from shock and sorrow and was still shivering now and then. The flames climbed and the area around the log on which they both sat was warming. He moved to her side, putting his arm around her shoulders to add to her warmth. They sat like this until the sun began to rise. Tulcaráto had been sleeping soundly and Manveru could not sleep anyway so he never woke the other elf for his watch. But eventually Tulcaráto and Drandwen began to stir. Manveru let go of Earwen and rose, walking to his pack and digging out some pots and food. By the time the other two elves had fully awakened, he had tea and food already prepared.

"Come, sit and have something to eat and drink. The sky looks as though we will have a good day for traveling. I think we can make it to Sarn Athred by nightfall if we do not take to many rests. Drandwen, your horse has been quiet during the night so I think whatever spooked him has left his mind by now. He should carry you quietly, I think." Lifting a small cup and a bowl, he carried them to Earwen and handed them to her. "Eat something, Earwen. We have a long ride ahead and you need your strength. Eat."
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2006 10:25
"Here, Earwen, wear this. The night is chilled." Sitting back down on the log, Manveru stared once again into the fire. Softly, he spoke to her. "Earwen, I cannot begin to tell you how sorry I am for your losses. I was just sitting here thinking of all the losses of many here on Middle Earth. When we find Cirdan, maybe it would be best for you to return to Valinor. I am sure there must still be some of your people there in Alqualondë." Earwen looked up, shocked at the very suggestion. Sadly she shook her head, " You have no idea. I heard the screams and I saw the fire. There is no one left in Alqualondë. Even if there was, this part of my life is over - I belong here. And there are still things for me to do." She heard Manveru add quickly, "Once we have found Maglor, of course," he reassured her. Slowly she nodded. Once they had found Maglor.... once they had found Maglor everything would take a turn for the better. He would leave his ill fated quest for the accursed Silmarils and he would return to her....

Manveru got up and added some logs to the fire, which had been dying down to embers. The night had gotten much colder and Earwen was shivering. The flames climbed and the area around the log on which they both sat was warming. She felt Manveru move to her side, putting his arm around her shoulders to add to her warmth. They sat like this until the sun began to rise. Eventually Tulcaráto and Drandwen began to stir. Manveru let go of Earwen and rose, walking to his pack and digging out some pots and food. By the time the other two elves had fully awakened, he had tea and food already prepared.

"Come, sit and have something to eat and drink. The sky looks as though we will have a good day for traveling. I think we can make it to Sarn Athred by nightfall if we do not take to many rests. Drandwen, your horse has been quiet during the night so I think whatever spooked him has left his mind by now. He should carry you quietly, I think." Lifting a small cup and a bowl, he carried them to Earwen and handed them to her. "Eat something, Earwen. We have a long ride ahead and you need your strength. Eat."

Thankfully Earwen took the bowl. She kept it in her hands, the warmth felt good to her, but despite all Manveru had said, she was not hungry. She looked at Drandwen, hoping she would get to know the ellath better during the next days. She forced herself to take a bite, but soon handed the bowl back to Manveru, only little touched.

As best she could she helped to clear the camp and mounted Manveru's horse with his help. Again the landscape passed by and again she watched almost as in a dream. Then, she noticed Drandwen on the one side and Tulcárato on the other, Manveru sat behind her and she knew that with friends she could find Maglor - no, she would find Maglor. And for the first time since she had lost her baby girl, there was a hint of a smile on her face.
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: January 10, 2006 06:58
Although they were all riding abreast, Tulcaráto took it upon himself to subtly 'guide' their small group as they headed southwards.

He spoke little, though... hoping to give the two elleths a chance to chat. - It was good, the grey-eyed ellon thought, for Earwen to have another female along, and hoping that Drandwen could help lift her spirits, was relieved to see a slight smile touch Earwen's lips.

As the sun climbed in the sky, however, Tulcaráto glanced at his three companions. "If you wish," he offered, "I'll ride ahead for a bit, and search for a good place to stop for lunch..."

(( sorry it's not the best - just didn't want you to think I'd forgotten this thread! ))
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2006 11:51
Drandwen woke up to find everybody already up. She hurriedly brushed back a couple of loose locks and jumped up to check on the horse. The elleth smiled, as a strange thought crossed her mind while she was walking - that she had indeed been glad to wake and find the new-found companions still there... It must be that she had been lonelier than she had thought...

"Good Morning, grey one. How are you?" Drandwen stopped a couple of paces away from the horse. The animal looked at her and snorted. Still weary and scarred, it looked much calmer. "It looks like a nice company tonight has done you some good, too, my friend," Drandwen said, approaching the horse and extending an open palm to it. A soft nose touched her tender skin, smelling it... Then the horse snorted and moved its ears towards Drandwen. The animal's dark and bloodied eyes met the elleth's own light green ones with an unexpected steadiness. Drandwen smiled. He was going to be all right. For now she knew that it was a stallion, and he had been a proud one...

"Come, let's get you bathed a little, while we still have water," she had no idea whether they were going to follow the river or not. Drandwen untied the reigns and led the horse to the river. She went in first, still holding the eye contact with the animal to have him following her. The river proved to become quite deep very soon, and Drandwen found herself up to her shoulders in water. She splashed the water over the horse's back and on the dirty and unkept mane, caressing its face. It was icily cold there, so she led the horse out again when the shivers became too frequent. But she was relieved to see the greatest part of the dirt and dried blood washed away.

The others had finished their breakfast by then, and Drandwen accepted with gratitude a bowl of hot and steaming food. She hurried to finish it in order not to keep the others wait on her. They had their horses prepared for leaving, so Drandwen took her own blanket out of her pack where it had been completely forgotten the last night, and tied it on the horse's back with a couple of ropes. She didn't want to cause more injuries to the already suffering animal.

Soon, they left the unexpected meeting place. Drandwen found herself casting glances at Earwen. She kept thinking of a way to draw the elleth from the thoughts of sorrow thet seemed to occupy her mind, but nothing came to her. Oh well... Drandwen sighed. Maybe later...
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2006 10:54
Earwen noticed Drandwen glancing at her from time to time. Well did she know, that the elleth probably only sought for a beginning, without wanting to disturb Earwen.

Ever since they had set out on this journey - ever since her little daughter had died, Earwen had not really felt up to chatty conversation, only talking when necessary. True, she had shared some of her thoughts with Manveru and Tulcárato, but they had made it easy for her - having shared the intimacy of birth with her, she did not feel as if she had to get to know them. And then they had sorrows of their own.

Of course she did not want to presume that Drandwen had nothing to grieve about - most people had in these times, but she had not shared Earwen's grief and it was still hard for her to talk about it.

But this dreadful silence could not go on - that much she knew. Imploringly she looked at Tulcárato for help, but the ellon seemed to be occupied with his own thoughts. Sighing deeply and thinking carefully on the words she would say, Earwen finally looked at Drandwen.

"I am sorry," she began, "I am not used to chatting anymore. If you forgive my clumsiness," she studied the elleth's face to find out whether she should stop talking or not, finding no objection in the fair features, she continued,"I would like to get to know more about you - and if you want to know something about me, you can ask. It is just hard for me to tell things freely..."

Hoping she had not been too forward, she observed Drandwen and waited for her to answer. She had almost given up hope, when Drandwen finally spoke.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: January 16, 2006 01:08
Manveru held Earwen closely in front of him, supporting her weight from the bruises of the birth. They rode slowly at first but she seemed to be more at east today and they were able to pick up their speed a bit. Drandwen rode at their side and Tulcaráto rode slightly ahead, subtly guiding them along the trail.

Occasionally taking a glance at Drandwen, he noticed the gray battlehorse was riding quietly, at ease under the hand of the elf maiden. Manveru looked at her curiously. She had never answered his question as to why she, not caring to be alone and not, according to her, much of a fighter, was wandering in this desolated area on her own.

As the sun rose closer to midday, Tulcaráto offered to search out a place to stop for luncheon. Manveru knew they were not far from Sarn Athrad and could probably make it to the settlement by mid afternoon if they were to continue without stopping, but realized that Earwen needed to rest.

"Please do, Tulcaráto. I think we could use the rest." He had begun to feel a stiffening in Earwen, as though the ride was becoming more and more difficult. When Tulcaráto found a clearing off the road, sheltered by willow trees, it's ground covered with soft grass and wild flowers, Manveru smiled at his fellow traveler. "A more lovely choice for a rest I could not hope for, my friend. Look, Earwen, look at the flowers everywhere. Are they not beautiful?" He dismounted and carefully lifted Earwen to the ground, holding her closely until her legs held her weight, and then took the reins of his horse, leading him to a spring bursting from the side of a low hill. The sun was warm, and the breeze gentle. Indeed, it was the perfect place to stop, and he smiled his thanks at Tulcaráto for finding such a shelter.

He left Earwen and Drandwen to themselves, feeling it important for Maglor's widow to find solace in company of her own kind. Walking to Tulcaráto's side, he stood watching the two ellaths, and said, "Perhaps an hour's rest would be sufficient. That way we will still be able to reach the settlement at the Ford of Stones before dark. I would rather not that Earwen spend another night in the cold. What think you?"
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2006 04:36
At first, Drandwen had feared for the horse. How will he behave? Will he agree to carry her on his bruised back? Will he be willing to obey her?

But it turned out to be fas easier than she had thought. The horse had accepted her in his life and was carrying her patiently, although at times a painful shudder made his grey skin twitch. And every time it happened, Drandwen felt sorry for the animal.

To her surprize, it was Earwen who began the conversation. Guessing that th elleth must have seen her shyness, Drandwen lowered her eyes in shame. The invitation to ask questions and the readiness to hear her own story so suddenly made her feel uncomfortable. Trying to figure out what to say, Drandwen rode on in silence.

"Thank you," she finally began, "you are very kind, indeed. However, there is not much to tell. I am a Laiquendi, a Greenelf, or rather - what is left of them... I have spent my whole life being a teacher... But my whole life changed and I am trying to reach the shore now..."

How horrible this sounded! So clumsy! So... Shut. As if she were trying to avoid revealing the truth about herself....

"I am sorry, I am not too used to chatting, either..." Drandwen smiled apologetically at Earwen. "But I guess it should be worth trying, don't you think?"

Earwen smiled back, and they rode on for a while, until Tulcarato offered to rest, and his offer was accepted gladly. After taking care of the grey horse and taking a close look at his bruisis, Drandwen joined Earwen who was sitting amidst the flowers. Still a bit uncomfortable, Drandwen asked:

"Earwen... Where are you from? Which tribe do you belong to?"
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 17, 2006 10:54
Glad the two elleths were chatting, Tulcaráto urged his horse into a faster pace, and searched out a good place for the group to take a break.

By the time they rejoined him, he'd done so, and the ellon had a warming fire lit.

There was a field of flowers nearby, and it lifted Tulcaráto's heart slightly, to see Earwen head for, and then sit amongst them. - Yet, turning to his old friend, the elf spoke quietly to Manveru.

"I know we must move slowly for Earwen's sake," he said solemnly, "But the grey is going even slower. His leg is still bad, for all Drandwen is caring for him... and the horse knows she is anxious for him to be healed. - But, at this rate, we'll not reach Sarn Athrad until a day longer than we'd thought. - It may not 'matter'... but up ahead, the trail is rougher than it has been. I would suggest we stay right here through morning. There's an herb growing in the field that I can use for a healing wrap for the steed... and it should help ease him even more, and I think he could use the extra rest, too. I don't want to 'push' him too much."

As he waited for Manveru's reply, Tulcaráto watched the limping grey and the other two horses happily grazing not too far away...
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2006 06:42
"Earwen... Where are you from? Which tribe do you belong to?" This had been the last question she had expected, but Earwen was glad that this one at least was not painful to answer - well, not anymore.

"I was born in Aqualonde, at the shores of Aman and I belong to the Teleri, who built the best ships - the Swan ships, before the Noldor destroyed everything. I was very young when we were attacked. Young and frightened, so I hid on one of my father's ships and thus survived the massacre. I came here with the Noldor, who luckily only discovered me when we had almost landed. But if it had not been for Maglor, these shores would have been the last I saw. He prevented his father and brothers from killing me or leaving me to starve." She looked into nothingness for a while, her mind full of memories again. "But all this happened a long time ago," she finished her story.

She looked at Drandwen, hoping the elleth's curiosity was satisfied and waited for the next question, when they came upon the resting place Tulcárato had found for them. Earwen could see the flowers and her heart skipped a beat. It seemed forever among all the bloodshed and ugliness that she had seen something as wonderful as this.

Once Manveru had helped her down, she immediately went to the flower field, only mumbling a short "Excuese me," in the direction of Drandwen. Everything was forgotten for a moment when she sat among the flowers and was able to inhale the sweet scent which was all around her. For a short while she felt like a small child, delighting in color, smell and the sound of the insects moving among the flowers. Earwen smiled, and the first time in weeks it was a genuine smile, free from the hint of sorrow and pain. At that moment she looked and felt as she had in her happiest times.

Unfortunately the spell was broken again. Among the flowers her mind immediately connected to those happy times and like in a daydream Maglor and her sons suddenly appeared, one of them carrying his baby sister. Earwen stared unbelievingly in their direction, knowing them for what they were : illusion.

Abruptly she turned away. With everything clear in her mind again, the flowers suddenly seemed grey, their scent almost impossible sweet and hard to bear. Slowly she got up and walked over to her friends, who had been busy building a fire and preparing some food. Without saying anything she sat down, staring into the fire, her mind again on the dark road that seemed to go on forever.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: January 21, 2006 11:29
"I know we must move slowly for Earwen's sake," he said solemnly, "But the grey is going even slower. His leg is still bad, for all Drandwen is caring for him... and the horse knows she is anxious for him to be healed. - But, at this rate, we'll not reach Sarn Athrad until a day longer than we'd thought. - It may not 'matter'... but up ahead, the trail is rougher than it has been. I would suggest we stay right here through morning. There's an herb growing in the field that I can use for a healing wrap for the steed... and it should help ease him even more, and I think he could use the extra rest, too. I don't want to 'push' him too much."

Manveru heaved a sigh, knowing that everything Tulcaráto said was so but watching Earwen from the corner of his eye as she sat amongst the flowers, the first real smile he had seen from her glowing on her face, he also knew that she needed care and a place to truly rest...a bed in a warm place and better food than travel rations. His eyes turned to the big gray, calm now with the other horses but still with a slight limp. Tulcaráto said there were herbs here he could make into a poutice which would help heal the horse faster. What argument could Manveru make for that?

He had at least noticed one positive event. During their ride, Earwen and Drandwen had spoken openly with each other, which boded well for the future journey they would all be making together. Perhaps Tulcaráto was right, that staying here for the rest of this sunny day and through the night until the next morning, would be beneficial.

"Alright then, let's set up a proper camp. If you'll take care of the fire, I'll take care of the shelter." He had noticed some heavy spruce trees and taking his axe from his saddle, he went to chop off some of the longer branches, pulling them back to the open meadow. Noting the proximity of two of the old willows, he slung a rope between them and began laying the spruce branches along the length of the rope, tying them down with reeds that were growing in the small stream. When he was done, he had created an almost waterproof lean-to shelter, under which he placed Earwen and Drandwen's blankets.

By that time the fire was burning brightly and he saw that Tulcaráto had taken out some of his pans and was laying them out for whatever Manveru or he had in their packs. Manveru dug into his and came up with a handful of vegetables that were still solid...potatos, turnips and cabbage. Dumping them into a pot, he carried the pot to the small stream and added water to the vegetables, returning to the fire and setting it over top to heat. Glancing at Tulcaráto, he smiled. Are you any kind of a huntsman? This would taste well with some rabbit or bird added. Shall we go see what we can find?"

Their short hunt rewarded them with rabbit Manveru had suggested and their meal was warm and filling. As the night grew darker, a brisk chill began to fill the air and Manveru suggested the women retire to the shelter. Adding wood to the fire, he pulled out a heavy blanket and lay it near the fire, where he sat for a while, wrapped in his cloak. Tulcaráto sat near by and Manveru conversed with him.

"Tulcaráto, I think we can make Sarn Athrad by midday tomorrow if we leave early. How is the grey? I noticed you caring for him earlier. He seems to be moving with more ease. Will he be ready by morning, do you think?" Lowering his voice, he added, "I really want to get Earwen to the settlement. We'll need a day or two for her to rest before we can continue. And we'll probably have to argue with her for the second day. She is determined to move on. Perhaps we can create a need for the second day by telling her it will take that long to find a horse for her." he grinned at his own cunning as he waited quietly for his friend to reply.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2006 04:24
Thoughtfully, Drandwen watched Earwen walk away and sit by the fire. The two ellyn were talking among themselves quietly... Drandwen searched for the grey with her eyes and found him grazing peacefully with the other two mounts. Her attention switched back to the elleth.

She seemed to be wrapped in a thick blanket of sorrow. And Drandwen could understand the reasons... or, at least, she thought she could. Everybody could understand each other, for rarely one could meet an elf who wouldn't have lost somebody dear to him or her during these everlasting wars...

Following a sudden impulse, Drandwen stood up, took her blanket and went to the fire. She carefully put it on Earwen's slender shoulders (too slender, she would say), sat down beside her, gently wrapped her arms around her as if she were but a child, and started to sing. It was a soft tune, barely audible, but her clear Teleri voice didn't falter. The melody was very simple, and the words revealed it to be a children's song - just as simple and happy. A song about a forest dove that cooed like no other bird, and that there was nobody in the whole world who loved a child more than his parents. That they would wrap him in their own blankets just to keep him warm...

Drandwen didn't know why she was doing it. Why all of a sudden she had remembered a song forgotten long ago in her childhood, and whether it would help the suffering elleth. But she hoped it would. It was al she could offer.
In the Realm of Ulmo
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2006 06:40
The rabbit and the fresh vegetables tasted great and Earwen really enjoyed the meal, although she did not eat much. Instead she listened to the conversations going on around her and for the time being not thinking about anything at all.

Suddenly Earwen could feel someone putting a blanket around her shoulders. When she turned she saw Drandwen, who sat down beside her, gently wrapped her arms around her as if she were but a child, and started to sing. It was a soft tune, barely audible, but Drandwen's clear Teleri voice didn't falter. The melody was very simple, and the words revealed it to be a children's song - just as simple and happy. A song about a forest dove that cooed like no other bird, and that there was nobody in the whole world who loved a child more than his parents. That they would wrap him in their own blankets just to keep him warm...

Earwen stared into the fire, watching the flames while listening to Drandwen sing. She knew the song - of course she knew it. She had sung it often enough to her own children and her mother had sung it to her and... Maglor. With the tune of the song her mind wondered back to a long forgotten time, back when she had been cold and hungry from endless days at sea and frightened.

She stood on the beach, a guard at each side, holding her arms so tight that it hurt, when Feanor approached her. She was a dreadful sight, hair unwashed for weeks and in tangles, dirty and thin, her clothes in rags. Feanor had looked her up and down and his eyes had been so cold that they froze her very soul. "Get rid of her." he said quietly, then turned away. Earwen's knees gave way, but the guards dragged her up and started to lead her away, when she suddenly heard another voice. "Stop," it said. Feanor turned and the guards turned as well, seemingly waiting for new instructions. Not to gently the ellon drew her away from the guards and put a protective arm around her. "There has been enough blood shed." hes said, meeting Feanor's gaze. After what seemed ages, Feanor spoke again "Suit yourself, Maglor. But she is your responsibility- do you hear me, you are going to make sure she is no burden, otherwise, we will do what I say." Then he turned and walked away. Maglor let her to the fire and sat there, his protective arm still around her. Earwen felt thankful, and yet, sitting next to her was one of her family's murderers.... Then a new commotion could be heard among the elves on the shore. When Earwen looked up she saw the ships burning - the beautiful Swan ships, which had been her only link to home, going up in flames. She started to cry. Maglor drew her to his breast, shielding her eyes from the view and began to sing.

It had been the very song Drandwen was singing now. She did not know how Maglor knew this Teleri children's song and she had never asked. Now she sat, staring into the fire and listening to Drandwen's song, silent tears streaming down her face.

When Drandwen was finished Manveru suggested that they retire into the shelter he had built for them and Earwen did not protest. But sleep would not come. Her mind was too full of thoughts and memories. When she heard Manveru talk to Tulcárato. Not really knowing why the conversation caught her attention and she listened.

"Tulcaráto, I think we can make Sarn Athrad by midday tomorrow if we leave early. How is the grey? I noticed you caring for him earlier. He seems to be moving with more ease. Will he be ready by morning, do you think?" Lowering his voice, he added, "I really want to get Earwen to the settlement. We'll need a day or two for her to rest before we can continue. And we'll probably have to argue with her for the second day. She is determined to move on. Perhaps we can create a need for the second day by telling her it will take that long to find a horse for her."

Slowly she got up and went to where Manveru and Tulcátrato sat. They were immediately silent. "Don't," she said. "I know that you would rather see me rest - and I know that I would need it, but everytime we rest for too long, my mind won't stop thinking and the memories won't stop coming. I need to keep moving or I feel I'll go mad - I see them everywhere, my children, Maglor, my brothers ...." she turned to Manveru, pleading now, "Please, don't let me go mad, don't let me lose my last tie to reality! Let's us keep moving and find Maglor quickly. Then, I promise, I'll take all the rest I need..." during the last sentences she had started sobbing again and was now sitting between Manveru and Tulcárato, crying again and rocking back and forth, her knees drawn up and her arms around her knees, the blanket drawn tightly around her shoulders.

[Edited on 27/1/2006 by Liswen]
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 24, 2006 03:12
"Alright then, let's set up a proper camp. If you'll take care of the fire, I'll take care of the shelter."

Relieved that his friend agreed with him, Tulcaráto headed to gather what was needed for a fire, and before long a warming blaze was burning brightly.

While Manveru finished working on the shelter, the grey-eyed ellon then fetched the herbs he'd spotted earlier, and crushed them between two rocks. In his pack, fortunately, he'd some pans, and set one to heating water on the edge of the fire, adding the pulp and a torn strip of cloth to it. After it had warmed a bit, he took the bandage and speaking softly to the grey stallion, the elf carefully wrapped the injured leg. "Good man," he gently rubbed the horse's neck, "This will help - I promise!" Tulcaráto told it. "I'll renew it at nightfall - and by morning, you'll be in less pain."

Some, perhaps, might have thought it 'silly' to explain such to a horse… but for him, he had always shrugged it off. Horses were creatures set there by Eru… intelligent, faithful, and deserving of care and kind words. - After all… elves never really 'owned' horses… they stayed with one because they wanted to. - And, this one had apparently 'accepted' Drandwen as friend.

Returning to the fire, he washed the medicine pan, and began setting others out that might be useful for cooking a meal. - And, by that time, Manveru had completed the shelter. "Well done, my friend!" Tulcaráto smiled as he looked at it, and nodded. Clapping the other ellon on the back, "That should serve the two ellith quite well," the elf went on.
Manveru dug into his and came up with a handful of vegetables that were still solid...potatos, turnips and cabbage. Dumping them into a pot, he carried the pot to the small stream and added water to the vegetables, returning to the fire and setting it over top to heat. Glancing at Tulcaráto, he smiled. Are you any kind of a huntsman? This would taste well with some rabbit or bird added. Shall we go see what we can find?"

With a smile, and a twinkle to his grey eyes, "I've kept myself fed so far on my wanderings… so I suppose my skills are at least 'adequate'!" Tulcaráto retorted, "And you? - Shall we have a small 'challenge', my friend? - Whoever brings the most back has to do the skinning and tend to the roasting?"

After retrieving his bow, Tulcaráto accompanied Manveru into the forest, and in a short time they both had a brace of rabbits. - Since neither of the elves had 'won', they both quickly had their kill skinned, and the aromas of a good meal were wafting through the air.
their meal was warm and filling. As the night grew darker, a brisk chill began to fill the air and Manveru suggested the women retire to the shelter. Adding wood to the fire, he pulled out a heavy blanket and lay it near the fire, where he sat for a while, wrapped in his cloak. Tulcaráto sat near by and Manveru conversed with him.

"Tulcaráto, I think we can make Sarn Athrad by midday tomorrow if we leave early. How is the grey? I noticed you caring for him earlier. He seems to be moving with more ease. Will he be ready by morning, do you think?"

Glancing back at the horse, Tulcaráto nodded. "He should be much better by then," he replied. "He's a strong mount, and for all he's been through, the horse will do well."
Lowering his voice, he added, "I really want to get Earwen to the settlement. We'll need a day or two for her to rest before we can continue. And we'll probably have to argue with her for the second day. She is determined to move on. Perhaps we can create a need for the second day by telling her it will take that long to find a horse for her." he grinned at his own cunning as he waited quietly for his friend to reply.

Tulcaráto contemplated his answer… he disliked 'prevarication'… but if it was best for Earwen, perhaps…
Slowly she got up and went to where Manveru and Tulcátrato sat. They were immediately silent. "Don't," she said. "I know that you would rather see me rest - and I know that I would need it, but everytime we rest for too long, my mind won't stop thinking and the memories won't stop coming. I need to keep moving or I feel I'll go mad - I see them everywhere, my children, Maglor, my brothers ...." she turned to Manveru, pleading now, "Please, don't let me go mad, don't let me lose my last tie to reality! Let's us keep moving and find Maglor quickly. Then, I promise, I'll take all the rest I need..." during the last sentences she had started sobbing again and was now sitting between Manveru and Tulcárato, crying again and rocking back and forth, her knees drawn up and her arms around her knees, the blanket drawn tightly around her shoulders.

Solemnly, Tulcaráto glanced at his friend from over Earwen's head. Shaking his own, somehow, the grey-eyed elf thought Manveru might be the best one to speak with the grieving elleth. - And, except for gripping her shoulder briefly and giving Manveru a nod, he got up, and went to speak with the other she-elf, Drandwen.

Trying to give Manveru and Earwen a bit of 'space', "Will you look at the grey with me, hiril?" he asked quietly. "I've to rewrap his leg, - I promised him I would," and a brief twinkle appeared in Tulcaráto's eyes. "He likes you," the ellon commented, as the two greeted the ailing horse. And, after stroking the grey neck for a moment, as he tended to the bandage, "Have you thought of a name for him, Drandwen?" Tulcaráto asked.

BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: January 24, 2006 05:26
Manveru wanted so much to see Earwen rest properly, and he spoke urgently to Tulcaráto about how they could achieve this, including a scheme that would cause them to spend an extra day at Sarn Athrad. So engrossed in conversation were they that Manveru never heard the light footsteps of Earwen, who suddenly appeared before them.

"Don't," she said. "I know that you would rather see me rest - and I know that I would need it, but everytime we rest for too long, my mind won't stop thinking and the memories won't stop coming. I need to keep moving or I feel I'll go mad - I see them everywhere, my children, Maglor, my brothers ...." she turned to Manveru, pleading now, "Please, don't let me go mad, don't let me lose my last tie to reality! Let's us keep moving and find Maglor quickly. Then, I promise, I'll take all the rest I need..." during the last sentences she had started sobbing again and was now sitting between Manveru and Tulcárato, crying again and rocking back and forth, her knees drawn up and her arms around her knees, the blanket drawn tightly around her shoulders.

Manveru eyed Tulcaráto over the top of Earwen's head in return, feeling helpless to console the broken hearted, shattered elleth. Tulcaráto touched her shoulder, nodding at Manveru and rose to leave the two sitting side by side on the log, Earwen sobbing as though she would never cease. Manveru finally put his arm around her blanket bound, shaking body and pulled her head against his shoulder. He said nothing but let her cry her heart out within the warmth of his grasp.

His eyes followed Tulcaráto as he approached the Laiquendi elf and spoke softly with her. The both walked to the big gray, where they stroked its neck and talked some more. He watched as Tulcaráto reached for his bag, his eyes meeting Manveru's for a brief moment, and then returning to the side of the horse. Kneeling down, Tulcaráto unwrapped the earlier bandages, reapplying more of the poultice and rebandaging the leg. The horse stood patiently as though realizing that this man was attempting to ease his pain. Would that Tulcaráto had something in his bag that would ease the kind of pain Earwen was suffering.

Manveru heard Tulcaráto ask Drandwen, "Have you thought of a name for him, Drandwen?" Manveru smiled. He was certain the horse already had a name and was saddened that they couldn't just ask the big gray what it was. But the animal was sturdy and well-trained and would probably make the adjustment to a new name. He smiled across at the two as they finished tending to him.

He also realized that Earwen had ceased her tears, though occasionally a small moan escaped her lips. It was time to talk to her, he thought. Very softly, very gently, but very firmly he spoke.

"Earwen, m'lady....your choices are difficult if not nigh on impossible. Ride on, when your body cries for needed rest. Or rest your body, and your mind rides on without you. You are the only one who can make that decision but I see your quandry. Can we come to an agreement? We will reach Sarn Athrad by midday tomorrow. Will you allow the healers to tend to you throughout the rest of the day and through the night without argument and I promise you we will leave the next morning. I will personally find a gentle gaited steed for you to use and we will travel on from there until we find Círdan." She shifted under his arm, not yet responding but he knew she was listening, and that's all he could hope for.

He began to talk about the loss of his parents and his sister's leaving for Valinor, and the pain he had suffered. He shared his understanding of her losses, the route they would take to reach their destination, the quietness of the night and the beauty of the stars above them...things not urgent or important but his soft voice soothing and gentle. After a while, he realized that she had fallen into the trance state that elves called 'sleep' against his shoulder, and that she was 'sleeping' peacefully. He realized also he daren't move or he might wake her so he continued to hold her against him, humming a long ago song of Valinor. For hours, he held her, his mind drifting and his body aching from the strain of sitting upright holding her weight. When the eastern sky began to lighten, he called softly to Tulcaráto, who had retired to his bed roll.

"Tulcaráto. Tulcaráto." When the ellon turned, opening his eyes and staring at Manveru, he asked, "Could you please prepare something hot to drink? My arm is frozen in place and my back is hurting." His smile was more of a grimace and his eyes pleaded with his friend, much as he disliked disturbing his rest.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2006 02:13

Trying to give Manveru and Earwen a bit of 'space', "Will you look at the grey with me, hiril?" he asked quietly. "I've to rewrap his leg, - I promised him I would," and a brief twinkle appeared in Tulcaráto's eyes. "He likes you," the ellon commented, as the two greeted the ailing horse. And, after stroking the grey neck for a moment, as he tended to the bandage, "Have you thought of a name for him, Drandwen?" Tulcaráto asked.

Drandwen accepted Tulcarato's offer eagerly. The horse looked up and greeted her with a friendly twitch of his almost black ears that blendes beautifully with the black mane. The elleth smiled. Somehow, she felt relieved and almost happy that the animal had accepted her as a friend, although they had met in so strange circumstances.

She took a handful of dry grass abd began to brush the parts of the horse's body that were not injured while Tulcarato was taking care of the wounded leg.

"I have thought about it... And I must admit I feel uncomfortable about giving him a name. Of course, he needs one, but... He has had a name before, given to him by the ellon who raised and trained him. And that name must have suited him..." she fell silent. For a while they worked in silence. Drandwen was careful not to rub too hard the bad places of the grey one's skin.

"How do you think, what could his name have been?" she asked Tulcarato. "And what do you say, boy? What should we call you? M?" she went on, talking to the horse. The animal gave a quiet neigh. Drandwen laughed.

"I suppose he just told us! Do you happen to understand him?"
In the Realm of Ulmo
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2006 11:29
Although she had finally ceased crying she heard Manveru's voice from afar. It was the same feeling as if someone is lost in a dense fog, and there is only one voice, which is the only guide to safety. "Earwen, m'lady," Manveru said in his soft voice,"....your choices are difficult if not nigh on impossible. Ride on, when your body cries for needed rest. Or rest your body, and your mind rides on without you. You are the only one who can make that decision but I see your quandry. Can we come to an agreement? We will reach Sarn Athrad by midday tomorrow. Will you allow the healers to tend to you throughout the rest of the day and through the night without argument and I promise you we will leave the next morning. I will personally find a gentle gaited steed for you to use and we will travel on from there until we find Círdan." She shifted under his arm, not yet responding but she was considering this offer. It sounded reasonable, but she was not ready yet to accept that it was best.

Manveru began to talk about the loss of his parents and his sister's leaving for Valinor, and the pain he had suffered. He shared his understanding of her losses, the route they would take to reach their destination, the quietness of the night and the beauty of the stars above them...things not urgent or important but his soft voice soothing and gentle.

Earwen listen to all Manveru had to say, feeling as if his soft and gentle voice brought her ever closer to a safe place where there was rest, and maybe some happiness. His voice and his arm around her gave her a weird sense of security, of being safe and protected. After a while she slipped off into the trance state that elves called 'sleep' against his shoulder, and that 'sleep' was peacefully.

Earwen awoke to Manveru's voice, not realizing at first, why it was so close. "Tulcaráto. Tulcaráto." Manveru tried to get the other ellon's attention. "Could you please prepare something hot to drink? My arm is frozen in place and my back is hurting." he asked. Slowly Earwen opened her eyes and realized that Manveru must have held her all night long. Touched by what the ellon had done to ensure a comfortable rest for her, Earwen slowly sat up. Without saying something at first, she moved slowly to bank the fire, then prepared some hot tea for Manveru. When she returned with the steaming cup in her hand, she said "Thank you. I am aware that you must have had a pretty uncomfortable night - and I thank you for giving me the opportunity to rest. About your offer - I agree, as long as we really do leave the next morning."

Earwen helped Tulcárato and Drandwen to prepare a light breakfast and to break camp afterwords. The ride to Sarn Athrad was not too bad and Earwen spend it partly looking at the landscape, partly listening to the conversations between her travel companions, and sometimes even joining the conversation.

When they finally had reached the ford shortly after midday, Earwen let go a deep sigh of relief. Even if she had not wanted to admit it, riding had not helped her to heal and she was still in a considerable amount of pain. As she had promised, she did not protest when Manveru and Tulcárato found lodgings for them and left her with Drandwen, while they went out do get a healer and a horse.

They returned with the healer, an old woman, who immediately started to examine Earwen. While the woman worked on her, Drandwen stayed by her side, while the two ellon went away again to buy a horse and new provisions. The old woman left some herbs for Earwen, to relief the pain and further the healing, but assured her that everything would be all right and that there had been no major damage. Earwen knew she had been very lucky.

The night in a bed felt good and Earwen arose, rested and at peace. The medicine was helping and the pain was gone. When she stepped out, Manveru and Tulcárato presented a very beautiful brown mare to her. The horse's eyes were very gentle and very knowing. Earwen was immediately taken by the gentle animal and thanked Tulcárato and Manveru. Drandwen's grey seemed to be much better after the rest and finally, around midday they set out again.

gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 27, 2006 01:49
The elleth smiled. She took a handful of dry grass abd began to brush the parts of the horse's body that were not injured while Tulcarato was taking care of the wounded leg.

"I have thought about it... And I must admit I feel uncomfortable about giving him a name. Of course, he needs one, but... He has had a name before, given to him by the ellon who raised and trained him. And that name must have suited him..." she fell silent. For a while they worked in silence. Drandwen was careful not to rub too hard the bad places of the grey one's skin.

"How do you think, what could his name have been?" she asked Tulcarato. "And what do you say, boy? What should we call you? M?" she went on, talking to the horse. The animal gave a quiet neigh. Drandwen laughed.

"I suppose he just told us! Do you happen to understand him?"

Giving a low chuckle, Tulcaráto shook his head. "Not as 'speech'," the elf replied, "But horses *do* 'talk' in their own way… how they hold their heads… and neighing, for example." And, with a smile still touching his lips, the grey-eyed ellon tilted his head at the grey stallion. "'M', you 'say'," Tulcaráto mused, and then grinned when the horse tossed his head.

Running his gaze over the beautiful animal, the elf noted the fine points of him… his strength, and the 'spirit' in the liquid-brown eyes. "If it were I who had had the initial 'naming' of him," Tulcaráto said slowly, "I'd have said, 'Mahtar' *."

Rubbing the grey's nose gently, "Will that 'work', sir?" the ellon inquired of the horse, and laughed when the stallion seemed 'pleased'. "And you, hiril?" Tulcaráto looked at Drandwen. "Is that acceptable to you, too?"

When they'd finished tending to the horse's needs, Tulcaráto settled down by the fire… yet, so as not to disturb either Manveru or Earwen in their quiet talking. As all then grew silent, the ellon found himself dozing off. Sending a glance towards his friend, and a keen one around the area, all seemed peaceful. - And so, Tulcaráto sought his own rest…

~@~@~

"Tulcaráto. Tulcaráto."

Blinking his eyes sleepily, the elf sat up and turned around - looking at his friend questioningly.

"Could you please prepare something hot to drink? My arm is frozen in place and my back is hurting." His smile was more of a grimace and his eyes pleaded with his friend, much as he disliked disturbing his rest.

"Of course!" Tulcaráto answered quietly, and rose to stir the fire and set some water to heating… smiling kindly at Earwen who came to take over. "I hope you slept well, hiril," he told her, and as she took the hot drink to Manveru, fixed his own - and some for Drandwen as well.

After breakfast the group set out again… some quiet conversing going on between them all. - And, at midday, Earwen wasn't the only one to breathe a sigh of relief. With a glance at his friend, Tulcaráto offered to search out lodgings, and was back shortly to lead the way to a place he felt would do. "If you'll stay with Earwen, hiril," he said to Drandwen, "Manveru and I will fetch a healer."

A horse, too, they needed to find, but Tulcaráto was in agreement with his old friend. "The healer first… then a mount," the elf nodded, and followed Manveru to search one out.

They returned with the healer, an old woman, who immediately started to examine Earwen. While the woman worked on her, Drandwen stayed by her side, while the two ellon went away again to buy a horse and new provisions.

As they visited a few of the stables, Tulcaráto noticed one… a brown mare. Upon examining it, the horse was found to have a sweet temperament, and (as he watched Manveru ride her in a wide circle) smooth gaits. "She should do well for Earwen - don't you think?" the elf said solemnly, as his friend dismounted.

After acquiring the mare, the new supplies were swiftly purchased, and the two elves returned to the Inn. A pleasant evening meal was then followed by (for Tulcaráto) a good night's rest. When they gathered outside in readiness to continue on, Tulcaráto stayed quietly by the mare's head whilst Manveru 'introduced' the horse to her new rider. "Well hiril?" he then inquired of Drandwen. "And how is Mahtar this fine morning?"

* 'warrior' [Quenya]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: January 29, 2006 09:13
They had reached Sarn Arthad at midday, just as Manveru had told Earwen, and immediately upon finding shelter, he and Tulcaráto had set out to find a healer. The old woman came with them to the room where Earwen was resting and pushed the two ellons from the room as she began her examination of the elleth. Leaving Drandwen with Earwen and the healer, Manveru and Tulcaráto took the opportunity to find the promised horse for Earwen and were lucky enough to locate a brown mare, gentle in demeanor, yet strong and healthy. They placed the mare with their own horses for the night to allow them time to familiarize themselves to be ready for the next day's journey.

They searched the small settlement and were able to find sufficient provisions to carry them to the next settlement they would find, probably days away as yet. Adding the supplies to their packs, Manveru suggested to Tulcaráto that this would be a good time to get something to eat and to do some planning about the direction in which they would travel.

"Tulcaráto, the river Gelion seems to be the least inhabited by orcs and bandits. Would it not be wise to travel south past the river Thalos to the river Legolin and then cut west, skirting south of Amon Ereb? That would give us some coverage in the northernmost forests of Taur-Im-Duinath as we cross country to the river Sirion. We could then reach the Valley of the Willows and head south along the banks of the river to the Bay of Balar. I know not where Maglor is but Círdan may have some news of his passings." He sighed softly. "Though no matter which way we go, it is at least a 300 mile journey just to reach the Sirion. How many miles a day can we expect to cover with Earwen still recovering? I know she wants to get there quickly but we must give her a reasonable figure in time of travel. She will want to know. Yet I believe this day of rest and the care of the healer will find her much better tomorrow and more ready to ride longer distances each day."

They passed the day quietly and all rested soundly that night in the first beds they had had in many days so that the when the sun rose the following morning, Manveru was awake and rested. His aches and pains were gone and he was, as he had promised Earwen, ready to leave first thing in the morning. It was Earwen who was not, as she rested long past the sunrise, having been sedated by the healer in order to allow her body to heal. Thus it was, that when they had presented the brown mare to Earwen, and packed all their provisions, it was not until midday before they left. Manveru was well pleased, however, when the ellath presented herself to them, as their was a sparkle in her eye and the paleness of her cheeks had given way to some rosy color. He realized suddenly how beautiful a maiden she was, a fact that had been lost to him when he had first discovered her, disheveled and sobbing.

The four continued south along the Gelion's western bank, following thus far the travel plan that Manveru and Tulcaráto had devised the previous day. The grey battle horse, now happily named Mahtar, seemed as well healed as Earwen and the brown mare's gentle gait was giving Earwen great comfort as they rode through the sunny day.
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2006 12:03
After the day’s rest and the medicine the healer had given her, Earwen felt much better indeed. She felt alive and ready to do things like she had not felt since Maglor had left. She felt good enough to ignore the healer’s advice to stay for a week, but gratefully accepted the medicine the old woman gave her. Earwen had been very relieved to hear that the difficult birth had not damaged anything and that she could still bear children, should she so wish. And secretly this was the very thing Earwen wanted. She dreamed to get her family back. Of course she was aware of the fact that it was impossible to bring her sons and her daughters back, but there would be other children, not to exactly take their place, but to fill the void which was ever growing in her heart.

Thus refreshed in mind and body, she was very happy about the horse Manveru and Tulcárator had found for her and when she stroked the gentle mare’s nose, she knew this horse would bear her faithfully and steadily. She was amazed that while she had been resting Tulcárato and Manveru took care of everything and they were ready to set out. They rode south along the Gelion’s western bank. The day was sunny and the river seemed fresh and new. Earwen, as she had been before on their journey, listened to the conversation going on, but did not contribute overmuch too it. Daydreaming she rode along, trusting her horse to find its way and to follow the others. Her dreams, however, had taken on a different note. Between her usual visions of her sons and her daughter, there were others now, of future happiness.

Strangely enough she had to admit to herself that she missed riding with Manveru. She had gotten used to his warm body behind hers, his gentle voice, reassuring in her ear… Now, she was alone with her thoughts, with nothing to keep her tied to the present, until day was turning into evening and the four set up a camp again. This evening Earwen surprised her companions with her fishing skills and provided a delicious meal of fresh fish and vegetables.

When the night drew near and the shadows began to dance around the fire, Earwen drew closer to Manveru, who, when he saw her shiver, immediately wrapped her into a blanket and held her close again, not forcing conversation on her, but watching the dance of the flames with her. When they finally retired to their self made beds, he stayed close to her until she was comfortable, warm and asleep.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2006 10:41
Drandwen was happy to see Earwen healing and getting stronger, and just aas happy to see Mahtar healing as well. Mahtar.... Yes, this name seemd to fit the grey horse.

The city was interesting for the Laiquendu who had spent all her life among trees. She was shy at first, but then got excited. Having taken care about Mahtar first, Drandwen spent all the day just walking and staring at everything wide-eyed. She only decided to return when she got hungry, but had to spend several hours looking for the Inn that were saying at.

However, she was glad to be on the road again. Mahtar was more lively and held his head higher now, and at times Drandwen thought she had caught a glimpse of the magnificent stallion Mahtar had been before the disaster...

Riding in this unexpected company, Drandwen had managed to forget the dangers that could threaten them. She began smiling more often and chatting to Tulcarato ans Manveru abput the things they saw and what it made her think about... She even tried to involve Earwen in the conversation, but the elleth seemed distant, and Manveru waved Drandwen to let Earwn be... It could well be that he knew better....
In the Realm of Ulmo
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 31, 2006 02:56
(( Okay... this isn't as 'good' as I'd wanted it to be... but I *finally* got it written - hope it's okay and moves us along enough!! ))

"Tulcaráto, the river Gelion seems to be the least inhabited by orcs and bandits. Would it not be wise to travel south past the river Thalos to the river Legolin and then cut west, skirting south of Amon Ereb? That would give us some coverage in the northernmost forests of Taur-Im-Duinath as we cross country to the river Sirion. We could then reach the Valley of the Willows and head south along the banks of the river to the Bay of Balar. I know not where Maglor is but Círdan may have some news of his passings." He sighed softly. "Though no matter which way we go, it is at least a 300 mile journey just to reach the Sirion. How many miles a day can we expect to cover with Earwen still recovering? I know she wants to get there quickly but we must give her a reasonable figure in time of travel. She will want to know. Yet I believe this day of rest and the care of the healer will find her much better tomorrow and more ready to ride longer distances each day."

Pausing to consider his answer, "The only 'hurry' is that which Earwen herself pushes us to - and as long as she is comfortable traveling, we'll just make what progress we can. - I would suggest, however…" and chewing on his lip, Tulcaráto shrugged. "I would think if we turn Westwards before we reach the Taur-Im-Duinath, and then follow the Sirion South that would be best. It would take less than a month, and we'd not be slowed by the forest…"

~@~@~@~

After several days of travel - making their way at a steady pace, the four passed the fork where the Thalos River met the Gelion. Temporarily in the lead, Tulcaráto urged his horse into a faster pace for a while… his grey eyes seeking for landmarks and a good place for that night's camp.

Perhaps a half-hour later, he returned, a slight smile touching the ellon's lips. "Amon Ereb is in sight," he told them, "We should be there by late afternoon today, and can rest in the foothills of it. - And tomorrow, we can finally turn to the West…"
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: January 31, 2006 06:14
Earwen had recovered enough strength to keep up a good pace with the others. Manveru watched her carefully, however, stopping when he noticed her strength waning. Still, they were making good time...traveling a solid twenty miles a day. They had passed south of the River Thalos and were soon nearing the confluence of the Rivers Gelion and Legolin when Tulcaráto made a turn to the west. He nodded at Manveru and increased the pace of his steed, leaving the three behind but following him.

In half an hour, he was seen galloping back to them. "Amon Ereb is in sight," he told them, "We should be there by late afternoon today, and can rest in the foothills of it." Thus they continued on a westward direction toward the River Sirion two hundred miles ahead. As the sun was setting into the west, the reached the base of the lone peak, standing alone and rising up from the plain. From the slight rise of the foothills above the floor of the great plain, Manveru could see the tree tops of Taur-im-Duinath in the distance. The small foothills at the base provided good camping sites, cliffs with substantial overhangs offering protection from whatever weather might fall upon them. Manveru, his eyes searching the east, noticed the rolling black clouds forming and moving in their direction. Hurriedly, he suggested they take refuge under one of the overhanging cliffs and gather enough firewood for a day or two before the rain made it too wet to burn.

There were few trees in the area but there were many large scrub bushes with good burning branches. Unsheathing his sword, he hacked away at them until the group had sufficient to last them. The overhang was deep and faced south and west which he was confident would protect them from the wind and rain coming in from the east. Building a fire deep inside, he unsaddled his and Earwen's horses, bringing the saddles and blankets in under the cliff to keep them dry as well. The overhang was so deep, that even the horses would be out of the worst of the coming storm.

By the time night fell, the front edge of the clouds were overhead and rain began to spit and spurt at first, finally falling in a downpour. The group was safe and warm and Manveru concentrated on making some warm food for them. Earwen appeared at his side, smilingly handing him the vegetables he was searching for. Glancing up at her, a smile on his face, he thanked her, and asked, "How are you doing, m'lady? We have been riding at a heavy pace for the past four days with very little rest. I think we will find that rest now as this storm does not bode well to end before morning. We may have to spend a good part of the day tomorrow." They knelt together by the fire, working together to prepare the meal. He glanced at her now and then, noting that even the heavy riding had not taken the color from her cheeks or the sparkle in her eyes. He watched the fair elf, somewhat bemused. How could Maglor have abandoned such a lovely woman aside? he wondered.

The rain fell all night and well into the early afternoon the next day before the clouds continued on their journey westwards. Manveru left the overhang and stepped onto the ground, which he found ankle deep in mud. Rivulets washed down the small canyons and pooled at the base of the mountain. Shaking his head, he turned and went back through the dripping edge of the overhang and announced, "I think we must consider waiting here another night until the ground absorbs the water." Adding some wood to the fire, he began preparations for an early dinner.

By the next morning, the sun was drying out the grounds and Manveru spoke to Tulcaráto. Pointing to the distant trees at the most northeast edge of the forest, he said, "I know you feel we should avoid the forest, but it might be wise to at least hold closely to the outer edge. Look ahead. The plain from here to the Sirion is flat and bare...there is little cover or shelter. At least at the edge of the forest, we might find some shelter if we meet another storm like last night's."

When he and Tulcaráto had worked out a plan of travel, he saddled up his horse and turned to take care of Earwen's, only to find that she had already done so. They smiled at each other, then all led their horses back down through the boulders to the flat plain, where they mounted and set off again towards the west.
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2006 12:30
Each day of traveling made Earwen feel better not only because the medicine and time finally helped her to get better, but also because she felt as if they were ever getting closer to Maglor.

She had begun to feel an inward drive that was stronger than anything else. This pervented her from thinking too much about the things that had happened and let her enjoy the journey more and more. She saw less of her children, althought she carried them with her in her heart and when they stopped to rest, she often imagined seeing them in the Halls of Mandos, waiting for her.

During the long days spent in the saddle, she also tried to decide what would happen once they had found Maglor. She found herself for the first time considering the possibility that he would not want her back. If that happened, she decided she would join her children in the halls of Mandos, where she had promised them she would follow one day.

With everything settled in her mind, Earwen grew ever more cheerful the further they went and when they had to stop and wait for the storm to pass, she gladly helped Manveru prepare a dinner.

"How are you doing, m'lady? We have been riding at a heavy pace for the past four days with very little rest. I think we will find that rest now as this storm does not bode well to end before morning. We may have to spend a good part of the day tomorrow." Manveru asked when she handed him the vegetables. "I feel fine.” she said. And for the first time she knew that it was true. While they were preparing the meal together, Earwen felt Manveru glance at her from now and then. She was sorry to see him still worried about her, for she could sense his concern in the glances.

The rain fell all night and well into the early afternoon the next day before the clouds continued on their journey westwards. Earwen woke early and watched the rest of the storm with fascination. She had always loved rain and she could remember how she had watched the high waves during storms in her home in Aqualonde – this storm was different though, on land, storms had another quality. In the beginning she had been afraid and hidden in her blankets or in Maglor’s arms until the storm was over, but then, Maglor had shown her the beauty of it and she had learned to love the strong winds, the rain, the thunder and the lightning.

When the others woke up, Earwen chatted with Drandwen for a while and they shared their childhood memories about storms and other things. When Manveru came back into the cave, for he had been outside to check the situation he said, shaking his head, "I think we must consider waiting here another night until the ground absorbs the water." Adding some wood to the fire, he began preparations for an early dinner.

The next morning found the ground dryer and the group could move on. Earwen by now was glad to be on her horse again, which she had really come to love in the past days. “Manveru,” she said, pulling up to him, while Tulcaráto and Drandwen were carrying a conversation, “Would you help me to name my horse? I like her, very much and I think she deserves a name.” She smiled at him, curious what names he would come up with.

(ooc: sorry guys, this is not a very good post - if I have more time tomorrow I might come back to it and edit a bit.... I'm not really satisfied, but, that's life I guess....)
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2006 02:18
[OOC: Whee first post.]

Sûlfeä absently wandered the hallways of Cirdan’s small home on the isle of Balar, headed for the rocky promontory just outside his door that overlooked the quay, humming a tune under her breath as was her wont, small, delicate feet sketching out dance moves on the cool marble floor even as she walked. She had not much to do and a lot to think on, ever since she had come to Balar as a conclusion to her travels, and she had just said her farewells to yet another friend – he had returned to the mainland only this morning after accompanying her here.

And yet, amidst the sorrow of parting, beneath the weight of too many bittersweet memories, her heart felt strangely light. It was as if she had properly let go at last, the way her parents had soon after their home had been destroyed. There was nothing left for her here, and she had seen all she wanted to see of Middle Earth. These were dark days. Almost everywhere they had gone there were stories of death, of catastrophe. She had learned the tragic fate of many a friend who had “dropped off the map”; whom they had lost contact with all of a sudden. She had seen ruins and desolation where there had once been life and love. More than once the pair had found themselves in precarious situations, where it had been uncertain as to whether either of them, not to mention both, would get out alive. And she had had enough. The past weeks had been hard – with her companion, they had visited many old haunts, tombs, and memories as they could, so she could say goodbye. Now there was just one more farewell to be said. She had sent word to her brother Celeborn of her imminent departure, and he would be coming to see her off. Could she possibly persuade him to come too? But then, wasn’t he… attached to that Noldo woman Galadriel? *She* would not be able to return to Valinor. No, it was not likely that Celeborn would leave, then. From what she had heard, from friends or from her brother’s letters, the two were definitely onto something. Well, it was his choice, she reasoned. He had already been dropping several little hints to their parents over the years. Now that she came to think of it, their goodbye had been far too… emotional? drawn out? to have been the simple “I’ll see you again in a while.” she herself had said.

Bright grey eyes surveyed the drop in front of her as Sûlfeä’s thin, delicate fingers – now calloused and slightly scarred from the prolonged use of a bow – toyed absently with the end of her long dark braid of hair – deep brown, almost black. While tall when compared to the race of men, Sûlfeä was at the “short” end of the spectrum by the standards of the elves, small and lithe, with skin darkened from long hours outdoors and the perpetually poised look of a dancer. She had a set of fine, dainty features, and even though not much of a beauty she wasn’t at all unpleasant to look upon, exuding an aura of quiet warmth and friendliness; she was the type of person you’d ask for help from even if you didn’t know her at all and had only run into her on the road. And she’d give it too, willingly, sometimes without asking.

She moved to sit, dangling her legs above the overhanging rock. Below her was a sheer cliff of weathered and sea-soaked granite, ending abruptly as the raging foam-flecked waves crashed again and again into the unyielding rock. The afternoon was dark, promising another storm to come, and already the winds were picking up, whipping the braid from her hands and buffeting it this way and that. In her mind, she ran over the various fates of the friends she had been able to locate, and then unbidden an image sprang to the fore.

A girl... relatively young by the standards of the elves… A Telerin, with hair the colour of wet, golden sand on the beach at midday, large endearing brown eyes… She knew a Telerin girl, who had stown away on her father’s ship during the kinslaying. Sûlfeä had been one of the first of the Sindar to meet the sons of Feanor. She had watched them land, all fell and fierce, fires of war raging in their eyes, and then guards had dragged Earwen out from where she had been hiding in the hold of the swan ship. They would have killed her if not for the intervention of the Sindar – a few friends who had been out wandering with her – and Maglor. Sûlfeä had been the only female in the scouting group, and had struck up a friendship with the lost, frightened Telerin. She had been there by Earwen as they watched the swan ships set alight. There had never been the barrier of language or background between them. Indeed, now that Sûlfeä came to think of it, they’d just taken a good look at each other and hit it off right away…

But they had parted ways a long time ago. Earwen had followed Maglor, and Sûlfeä had returned to her family. They hadn’t kept much contact; she suspected Maglor was behind that, but most of Earwen’s infrequent replies had been happy, contented ones, with only the slightest of hints of the fearful young girl Sûlfeä had first met. She knew Maglor had gone psychotic and went off with his brother Maedhros , trying to fulfill their terrible oath, and by then it had been over a century since her last letter. Her next message didn’t even reach Earwen. The hawk had returned, exhausted and totally worn out, the oilskin pouch strapped to its back still sealed, the parchment within unread.

Then Sûlfeä was distracted by a soft voice behind her, coming closer. Someone was singing. She strained her ears against the strong breeze, and only just made out the words to a familiar song. It was in the vernacular of Doriath – a quaint, old tune, almost forgotten by now. The voice, too, was familiar. It had an exceptional timbre to it, not easily forgotten; it was a voice she associated with a harp, played almost magically, captivating music, and dances under the green boughs of the forest…

She turned around to stare curiously at the other elleth even though she knew it wasn’t polite. There was something very, very familiar about her, from the refined features and unusual eyes of light violet to the dark curls and... Sûlfeä could not resist a glance at the other’s hands, just to be sure. The fingers were the long, thin digits of a seasoned musician, the callouses at the ends telling of someone who played the harp almost constantly. And they were all she needed to confirm her hunch.

“Nayru?” she all but whispered.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2006 06:23
Drandwen enjoyed the pause in their journey. She was not used to riding a horse all day long and for several days in a row, so her muscles were sore.

But even more she was happy for Mahtar. The horse was doing very well, but he was soon loosing his strength while the others were still full of energy. And, because of Drandwen sitting on him, several wounds on his back refused to heal. It was usually in the afternoons, when his bad leg let know about itself with a slight limp.

So, this unexpected rest was doing god for both of them. Drandwen shared her time between Earwen and Mahtar, chatting to one and tending to the other. And it seemed to her, that both of them were opening up. Sometimes she thought how strange it was - to have met a Teleri elf on her way to find her father's people... This belonging to one race made her feel closer to Earwen, and even responsible for her.

The elleth enjoyed the pouring rain. Once she even left for a longer run under the waterfall of raindrops and returned soaked through, but with a happy smile on her lips. But then the ground became too muddy, and there was no pleasure from the walks, so Drandwen stayed inside, singing to herself softly most of the time.

Finally, they were on the road again. And it felt good, just as good as to stop for a while. Mahtar seemed to have become stronger during that stay, and the grey battle horse was even anxious to get started again.

Drandwen joined Tulcarato in front, leaving Earwen and Manveru behind, talking softly. Smiling at the ellon, she pointed at the sun that was reaching through the heavy clouds:
"Look! The sun... I even feel like smiling more! The sunlight always fills me with joy... As does the laughter of the children... Do yo uhave any children?" she asked him unexpectedly.
In the Realm of Ulmo
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: February 06, 2006 02:13
Nayru walked slowly along the shores of the sea. The damp, golden sand clung to her naked feet. The hem of her dress that reached only a few inches past her knees swished with each step that the lithe female took. Nayru's loose dark, silky flew openly, forward and past her shoulders with the strong currents of the wind. She knew she probably had ventured too far from the havens...but she desperately needed to reflect...

There was so much suffering. Everywhere. And Nayru herself had been unable to escape its grasp. The pain that she had suffered plagued her each and everyday. It would not depart from her spirit, her grief locked...frozen away in her heart only to be set free at rare occasions. Nayru stopped for it seemed to be one of those times when her emotions overwhelmed her. Her violet eyes soon began to fill themselves with tears and cascaded down her cheek. Beleg, she thought, oh, Beleg...why did you leave me? Why have you left me alone in this world? He was gone. Dead. She loved him dearly, and he her and she never thought anything could ease the pain of his death. Nor did she think that she could ever love again.

She remembered standing silently, not even shedding a tear, her face expressionless when she learned the news of Beleg's death. They had said she was cruel, and heartless. Maybe that was true. Maybe she was cold, and passive with expressing her emotions...but what matter of say did one have in controlling their feelings and how could she change who she was? Nonetheless, Nayru did grieve...not so much physically but with her heart and mind. But her loss had never, ever refrained her from singing, her passion and talent. It was the only thing she could find solace in aside from confiding in Cirdan.

Wiping the tears from her face, she resumed her walk and began to sing. At first her voice was quiet and tranquil but it then broke out in a more passionate tune. The song was of Doriath in its olden, glorious days. It was hardly sung anymore. And as she continued to walk, she kept singing against the wind until an interruption came along.

“Nayru?” She ceased singing abruptly and stared into the elleth's grey eyes. The elleth looked incredibly familiar...

"Sûlfëa..." Nayru trailed off, but affirming the elleth's presumption. "I've not seen you here before. When did you arrive and what brings you here?"
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 07, 2006 01:29
When the next morning came, the grounds had absorbed the rainfall and were dry but for some puddles scattered about. Manveru checked that the horses were saddled and packed, their shelter cleared of any remnant of their passing, and lifted Earwen onto her red mare. Next he gave a hand to Drandwen as well before mounting his own steed.

"Drandwen, Mahtar seems to have enjoyed this rest, he seems to be anxious to get on the road." He smiled at the elf maiden who had so rambunctiously appeared at their campground, thinking how pleasant it was to have her with them. For one thing, she gave Earwen much comfort and someone to talk to but he was still wondering where she had come from and what circumstances had found her in the wilderness alone as she had been.

The group headed in a southwesterly direction, moving closer to the great forest of Taur-im-Duinath, where Manveru felt they could avoid entering the deeper part of the forest but could at least find some shelter along the northern edges should it be needed. Not only that, but riding across the open plain made them more visible to whatever or whoever might be watching.

Earwen rode up beside him as the sun rose brightly in the east and asked him a question that made him smile.

“Manveru,” she said, pulling up to him, while Tulcaráto and Drandwen were carrying a conversation, “Would you help me to name my horse? I like her, very much and I think she deserves a name.”

He rode at her side, surveying her horse from front to back, thinking deeply about what would fit the gentle mare. One thing he noticed was that the it had a small star on her forehead. Pondering, he smiled at Earwen. "You are Telerin so you would know when I suggested 'Elenice' that it would mean Little Star. I think that name might suit her, not just for the star she carries on her head but because of her behavior as well. She is a star of a horse for sure. Do you think that might do?"

They rode along discussing other possible names but he left it up to Earwen to decide what she would finally name her horse. Except for a short break for lunch, they made good time on the open ground. They were well parallel to the great forest to the south of them with the Long Wall to the north as the sun began to set in the west. The forest pushed farther north at this point for a short distance and Manveru estimated they had traveled a healthy 40 miles in this one day. Glancing at Earwen, though, he realized they must stop soon, as exhaustion was once again showing on her face. The horse too were slathered with sweat from the ride in the hot sun.

"Tulcarato, let us see if we can find a campsite in those trees just to the south. We need to find shelter before nightfall." As the group turned south, they entered the outer fringes of the great forest and searched for a suitable location to bed down for the night. It was darker under the ancient trees and the night noises were louder here then on the open plain, but should it rain in the night, they would be well sheltered by the overhanging brances of the old oaks. Manveru's eyes seached through the shadows until he spied a small pool, fed by a spring.

"There! I think that will do. Let's get settled while there is still light enough to see.
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2006 04:16
Manveru rode at her side, surveying her horse from front to back. Then he smiled at Earwen. "You are Telerin so you would know when I suggested 'Elenice' that it would mean Little Star. I think that name might suit her, not just for the star she carries on her head but because of her behavior as well. She is a star of a horse for sure. Do you think that might do?"

Earwen smiled at Manveru - a smile of gratitude and approval. Then she lay herself across the horses neck, so that she was close to its ears and whispered "Elenice, is that you name? Elenice." The horse nickered softly and Earwen returned to a sitting position and announced to Manveru, " She likes it and so do I - thank you."

They rode on for what seemed to Earwen forever. The sun was hot and towards the end of the the she could feel exhaustion creeping up on her and Elenice was sweating, as were the other horses. So Earwen was more than glad when Manveru finally announced that he had found a spot to stay the night and gladly dismounted from her horse.

The got settled quickly, everything a routine by now and before long there was a small fire and food and drink. Tulcárato and Drandwen had taken care of the horses, while she and Manveru had prepared their food.
That night, Earwen did not sleep well and had to rely on some of the medicine the healer had given her. Riding for such a long time was not yet what her body took without protest. But she did not say anything and when the morning had come, she was one of the first about to prepare breakfast and get everything packed.

The group traveled father along their desired route and after another few days of hard riding, Earwen finally got used to it and needed the medicine less and less. The closer they came to Cirdan's, the lighter her heart felt. Soon, soon the wind told her with every step - soon you will find Maglor and everything will be all right.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: February 08, 2006 05:47
Day after day of riding was nothing 'new' to Tulcaráto. - But, traveling with company was. Other than with his fellow warrior-elves, when headed into battle, he'd always traveled alone. To the ellon's relief, as Earwen healed and became more 'used' to it, the small group was able to pick up their pace just a bit.

He smiled inwardly to hear the elleth and Manveru forging a friendship, so did he talk with Drandwen. He was not a 'chatty' person by nature… and mostly, he listened, but he did enjoy their quiet conversations. Mahtar had improved, too, which Tulcaráto ascribed to the relationship between the grey stallion and his new rider. Friends it was good to have… of that, he was certain.

Yet, always, Tulcaráto's grey eyes were searching the land around them… for good shelters when they needed rest, or against danger should it appear.

And, particularly, as the group threaded it's way along the northern border of the Taur-im-Duinath. He didn't trust the forest… or what might lurk within. - And, that nothing had threatened them at all was almost more disconcerting than if they had run across a stray orc or two.

As another long day came to a close, and they began seeking a safe place to camp for the night, Tulcaráto spotted a fair-sized clearing, with a merry stream bubbling through it. Turning to Manveru, Earwen, and Drandwen, "What do you say, my friends - will this 'do' for us tonight?" he asked.
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 09, 2006 03:02
"Sûlfëa..." Nayru trailed off, but affirming the elleth's presumption. "I've not seen you here before. When did you arrive and what brings you here?"

She stood, crossed her arms, a ghost of a grin spreading across her face as she studied the other. So many memories... Some amusing, others not so, but here was a welcome face indeed.

"I only arrived last night - I'm waiting for Celeborn before I take ship for Valinor. But if I'd known you were here I would have come a lot earlier; I haven't heard from you for so long - I was beginning to think you left without telling me..." Sûlfëa slowed down for a while. "How came you to be here? I didn't see you, and I'm staying with Cirdan for now."

She could tell from Nayru's slightly red-rimmed eyes and the greater-than-plausible salt spray on her cheeks that the other had been crying, but Sûlfëa decided not to press her for details - centuries of coexistance had taught Sûlfëa that Nayru was a die-hard introvert. They were almost total opposites in character, one inward and brooding, the other perhaps slightly too open and optimistic, but that had not stopped something rather resembling a friendship from forming. Granted, it could get perhaps a little one-sided when Sûlfëa did most of the talking and Nayru just stared at her; still Sûlfëa had persisted, and in a strange sort of way the arrangement suited both of them fine enough. And so it was Sûlfëa continued almost blithely...

"I haven't heard that song for so long... And you still sing as well as ever, if not better."
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: February 11, 2006 12:52
Again, Nayru wiped the last of tears from her cheek. She hoped it wasn't too obvious that she'd been crying... Nayru never thought that she would see someone, much less a friend, from Doriath. She'd wondered what became of the rest of her kin after the kingdom's downfall. So she had to admit it was a bit of a surprise to Nayru that Sûlfëa was here. The two were complete opposites. The singer was quiet, keeping mostly to herself and the dancer was open and optimistic.

"I only arrived last night - I'm waiting for Celeborn before I take ship for Valinor. But if I'd known you were here I would have come a lot earlier; I haven't heard from you for so long - I was beginning to think you left without telling me..." Sûlfëa slowed down for a while. "How came you to be here? I didn't see you, and I'm staying with Cirdan for now...I haven't heard that song for so long... And you still sing as well as ever, if not better."

"Oh...thank you..." Nayru began her reply, blushing slightly, not sure what to say in response. "I came because..." She hesitated, not sure whether she wanted to reveal the real reason for her departure from Doriath, "I heard that Cirdan was dwelling here. He's a very old friend of mine. And I wanted to be by the sea again."

So Sûlfëa was awaiting for her brother to sail back to Valinor. Like so many of the elves. They grew weary of all the death and destruction to Beleriand by the hands of Morgoth, and even the Noldor. The Oath. It had driven Fëanor's sons mad, slaying almost everything that obstructed their way to attain those jewels. Nayru then realized that it wasn't the time to reflect and asked Sûlfëa, "Are you still dancing?"
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 12, 2006 12:58
She noticed the slightest of shadows cross Nayru’s face at the question as to why she had wound up here at Balar, and the elleth hesitated before replying haltingly.

"I came because..." She hesitated, not sure whether she wanted to reveal the real reason for her departure from Doriath, "I heard that Cirdan was dwelling here. He's a very old friend of mine. And I wanted to be by the sea again."

A skeptical eyebrow shot up, but again Sûlfëa decided that this was not the best of times to ask probing questions. As it was, Nayru had retreated within herself again, eyes a little glazed over and brow furrowing as if of its own accord as she contemplated something deep and painful. Then she seemed to draw herself back together, as if returning from a great distance, and promptly changed the subject.

”Are you still dancing?”

“But of course!” Sûlfëa laughed. “There are some things that never change… Just like your habit of slipping away at a moment’s notice to hold long conversations with yourself!”

Outwardly she retained the attitude of light jesting, but Sûlfëa had stirred up some old baggage of her own. She put the new stream of consciousness into parallel-process. It was an old skill of hers that enabled her to follow both a conversation and her own thinking processes, and had made her something of a good listener too.

None of us are much the same any more, she mused. She had been so… naïve, so ignorant, then. It was almost frightening. Sûlfeä could still vaguely recall a time when nearly everyone was a friend, and just about every stranger she met was a potential friend too. She had wondered why orcs had to be killed, valar! It had been after one lesson, where she had learned that orcs had first come from elves Melkor took and tortured beyond recognition. But if we all come from elves, she remembered asking, aren’t we related, however distantly? Wouldn’t there still be just a little good left inside them, then? Just a tiny bit of elf left? Couldn’t it be salvaged? It was nearly heartbreaking to think she had once been so unsuspecting and trusting. Had she really, earnestly believed that there was good in just about everybody? The world could be so black and white when one was young… And then the wars had begun. They spared no thought for youth and innocence as one by one, great realms around them fell and then Doriath too was pitched into the fray. Sûlfeä was one of the lucky ones – her immediate family escaped relatively unscathed, though her parents had left for Valinor very soon after.

A new thought occurred to her. Nayru did not have much to stay for – she could not remember having seen her friend attached, not unless you counted the tiniest, most subtle hints of that affair; Nayru had done a very good job of keeping whatever it was she had been up to very quiet indeed, and anyway she did not seem to have family left. Perhaps, Sûlfeä thought, perhaps she might persuade Nayru to go west with her… It might do her good, you’d never know. And Nayru carried so much emotional baggage from the past; it was way past time to let go…
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: February 13, 2006 02:48
Sûlfëa didn't quite believe Nayru's told reason for leaving the elven kingdom of Doriath, that the singer was sure of from the expression on her friend's face. Nayru was quite proficient at reading facial expressions or the thoughts one expressed through the eyes, though she herself very rarely allowed her emotions to surface physically. The singer had the most striking pair of light, violet eyes. Almost beautiful, except for the void emptiness of their depths. Nayru looked up from her feet to listen to Sûlfëa's reply.

“But of course!” Sûlfëa laughed. “There are some things that never change… Just like your habit of slipping away at a moment’s notice to hold long conversations with yourself!”

Nayru smiled a tiny one. It was habit of hers...not one she could really help. Besides, she wouldn't want to change it. Her reminiscence often allowed her to write her music, and sing it to the full potential of her skill. She had never been much of a conversationalist. She was passive and quiet, and not very social, but she knew that it would be best to say something.

The wind whipped her hair, blowing against her golden, tan skin. Nayru shivered and hugged her arms. Her garments were quite thin and gauzy, suitable for a warm, calm day by the sea. "Would you like to head back to where it's warm?"

While waiting for Sûlfëa's reply, Nayru drifted back into her thoughts. Sûlfëa, too was leaving for the Blessed Realm. And here Nayru was, dwelling with Cirdan, with no thoughts of leaving Beleriand. How ironic. The thought had never occurred to her, well, it had, but she had never seriously considered leaving. She wasn't sure why...the singer didn't have a family as she was one of the Firstborn of the Eldar and the only person she had been so emotionally attached to had perished. But there was some force, that held her back, here on the banks of the sea...
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 14, 2006 11:14
They had reached the farthest most western edge of the forest when Tulcaráto espied what seemed to be a perfect place to camp. It was a sizeable clearing at the edge of the forest and a clear stream ran through it.

"What do you say, my friends - will this 'do' for us tonight?" he asked.

"I think it will do very well, Tulcaráto. Let's set up camp while there's still enough daylight left." Manveru dismounted, reaching up for Earwen's waist and easing her to the ground. He himself was a bit stiff after the long day's ride so he knew Earwen must be as well. Leading the two horses to the side of the stream, he let them drink while he unsaddled them and gave them a quick brushdown. Taking his and Earwen's packs to the broad base of one of the ancient oaks, he set out a blanket to sit upon, and commenced to gather kindling and small branches to start the evening fire. Once he had a nice blaze going, he gathered larger logs to keep it burning through the night. He was about to undo his pack and dig for something they could prepare for dinner when he noticed Tulcaráto by the stream and, most importantly, away from the women. Ambling over to his side, he spoke quietly to the ellon.

"Tulcaráto, tomorrow we will be heading over open ground until we reach Nan Tathren...and finally the river. I fear we must keep an open eye for whatever dangers may arise. I know you have had misgivings about traveling so close to the edge of the forest but I have the same fears about traveling in the open, where there is no shelter from the vision of others. I think we must stop for no more than a moment tomorrow until tomorrow night when we must find some kind of shelter, be it only scrub brush. It will not be until the next night after then that we reach the Valley of the Willows." He waited for Tulcaráto to offer his own thoughts and then returned to the fire.

They all had a quiet dinner and being very tired, no one spoke much. Manveru asked Earwen how her newly named horse was responding to it, and they chuckled together over the seeming understanding animals had. He quietly updated her on their travels.

"It will take two more days to reach Nan Tathren and then two more down river to the Havens of Sirion. It will be the same kind of long day travels we have had so far. How are you doing? Would you like us to slow down a bit once we reach the River Sirion? I feel we have pushed you too hard."

When they two horned moon was rising in the east, the group bedded down for the night. Manveru had chosen to take first watch. He was about to add a log or two to the fire when he heard in the distance, deep in the woods, a sound that raised the hairs on the back of his neck. Instead of adding the logs, he lay them aside, and hurriedly covered the fire with dirt, putting it out. On light feet, he went to Tulcaráto's side, and tapped him on the shoulder. When the other elf opened his eyes, Manveru held a finger to his lips, then whispered to Tulcaráto.

"Listen carefully. I believe we may have company coming...and they're not far from us."
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email