Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
RangerAragorn
Council Member
Send Message
Post The Beginnings In Bree (Open)
on: January 08, 2006 12:26
(OOC: Alduel is my character in this, has info in the characters list. The basic start is in the famous Prancing Pony, based some time after the war of the ring. The town is peacefull, and Gondor is strong in the south and is just spreading to Arnor to reclaim it. Orcs that fled from the entire time of the war of the ring are in the mountains and dunland area, and are also common to come across. That all to be talking points, but pretty much the goal is for travellers to enter and the beginnings to a travel form out of that)

Alduel leaned against the chair peacefully, as he did every evening before taking his watch untill morning at the old gate. On the table sat a half empty mug of the Ponies ale and a a used pipe. He listened to a group of dwarves who had come from an unusual road at his own gate, where their kind usually exit. Apparently things were going thier way in the southeast. They spoke of mining and cities near Gondor. He could only imagine that a war had taken place between men and dwarves, he did not worry so much about some evil coming to Bree. 'It isn't worth the plunder' he had thought as he sat resting. And troubled little more of what went on, only the tug of desire that wanted to see what went on.
~Háthien_Oronar~
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Beginnings In Bree (Open)
on: January 11, 2006 04:24
(Ooc - I do hope you don't mind if I join! My character's Nilfalath and her profile is in the database. )

Traveling was hardly her usual pastime. In fact, if truth be told, the last time she had set foot outside the Grey Havens had been a long elven year ago. She had always managed some excuse when a well-meaning friend would suggest an excursion to visit her kin in Imladris. She had house guests and could hardly leave them without a place to stay or her laborious position at a nearby stables prevented her from straying far from the spindly-legged foals- her evasions were endless.

A time had come, though, when her neigbors no longer accepted her subterfuge and had all but towed her from the Haven's gates.

Now, as she rested in one of the Pony's many alcoves, Nilfalath looked back on her reluctance to leave the only home she had kept for the past two ages with a wry amusement. It was hardly healthy for a free, unwed she-Elf to stow herself away in the shadows of a silent home, when the wild deliverance of the open road was her's for the snatching. Needless to say, the dark-haired elleth was growing quite accustomed to her newfound liberty.

Nilfalath cast her enduring gaze towards a nearby table, the beginnings of a slight smile spreading across her supple lips. She stood up slowly and crossed the small space within a matter of moments, pausing briefly to snatch a couple of tankards from a passing bar maid.

"Interesting lot, aren't they?" The Elf asked, signifying the small company of bearded folk. She placed a mug in front of the gate-keeper, and raised her own in a salutation. "I've never ceased to be amazed with the Dwarves' smithying abilities. Or, their endless greed..."
RangerAragorn
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2006 11:56
He glanced only fleeting to see who it was who came to him. He did not recognize the traveller. Had the odd words and travels not been happening, he would have thought it an odd thing. But he returned to watching the dwarves. Hearing a little of thier conversation as one of them poured a small pouch of white stone on the table.
"They are meeting" He responded. He had been listening for a long while. Something he did not do often to others in the inn. "Something happened in the east. The two on the left of the table came from the direction of the seas, they knew nothing. The others from the east...". He paused for a while as if thinking of something, and then turned with a lean forward and looked to the stranger, then seeing an elf let the pipe drop to the table.
"...You come from afar? Do you know of this news? It passes only like a small wind in this town. So small I must strain all of my hearing to a group of plundering dwarves to learn it".
He said the last bit of words so loudly that a couple of the dwarves shot a nasty glance to him, but returned to thier discussion with a curse to the bree-folk.
~Háthien_Oronar~
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 09:23
Nilfalath watched the man's face as a look of sudden disbelief washed over him. In all truth, she hadn't expected such a surprised reaction to her presence. It had been a good many years, of course, since the ending of the War and many of her people had left the shores of Middle Earth, but they had passed this way on their journey into the West. Elves were no longer common place, to be sure. However, for residents of a town who lived not 500 miles from Rivendell, she assumed they'd be less likely to gawk at one of the Elder Children.

The youthful-faced Elf chuckled, extending her pale hand in time to snatch the pipe before it clattered to the table top. "I come from the Grey Havens of Círdan, past the westernmost reaches of the Shire and beyond the White Towers." She returned to him his smoking piece, and continued. "I've heard only what my house guests tell me. And, it seems the dwarves and their Gondorian neighbors are having quite the dispute."

"It surprises me that they would go up against so great a power as Gondor, but Aulë bless them for their efforts- however foolish they may be." Nilfalath took one of the vacant chairs nearby and sat down, settling her millenia-old body on the crude wooden seat. She grinned amiably. "So, tell me, Dunedan, do you always eavesdrop on the stunted folk?"

((Ooc - It's short and museless. Do forgive me.))
one_more_addiction
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2006 09:19
Feawen slowed the pace of her grey haired steed Celebsul as she rode into the small village of Bree. She had travelled many miles from her home in Lothlorien and would be glad when she had finally reached Mithlond. Her family had left Arda at the beginning of the war, but she had not been able to leave Middle Earth to its plight and had stayed behind to fight, but she had promised her family that if she lived, she would follow them to Valinor, and now she would honour that promise.

She stopped by the door of an inn and dismounted. Apon entering the inviting tavern she was suprised to see another of elven kindred , she had not seen another elf since leaving Imladris, the only people in these parts seemed to be dwarves and men.

She approached the other elf "Mae govannen" she said "Feawen i eneth nín. Man eneth lín? Mas dorthach?(*)" she had a feeling that her sudden questioning may be slightly rude, but she was curious.

(*my name is Feawen. What is your name? Where are you from?)

(OOC: ok, that's all the elvish rambling I'm gonna do I promise...)
~Háthien_Oronar~
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2006 04:30
(Ooc - Welcome, one_more_addiction! )

At the soft, melodic sound of her native tongue, Nilfalath glanced up, her frothy blue eyes meeting the pale countenance of a fellow Elf. The delicate skin sweeping above her cheek crinkled slightly with the warm smile that upturned her lips and brought new radiance to her subtle features.

"Le suilon, Feawen," the older elleth greeted, "Nin estar Nilfalath. Telin o Mithlond." Pausing, she took a small sip from the draught in her hand and placed it back on the table. "You inquire much. Tell me, have I answered your questions and stayed your curiousity for now, Feawen daughter of Lorien?"

Motioning over one of the attentive bar maids, Nilfalath requested a goblet of their finest cordial, and when it was brought up from the wine cellar, she insisted the elven newcomer sit and enjoy the burgundy liquid in peace. While she could drink the distilled amber brew, having a few barrels of it in her own larder for the wide range of guests that knocked at her door, she knew many of her commonality that could not so much as withstand the smell of it. And, Nilfalath, always the polite hostess, was conscientious of that fact.

"Have yourself a seat, Feawen, and drink your wine. It's a long road, and there is plenty of time left to sastisfy both your thirst and inquisitiveness."

(Ooc - I know Feawen said nothing of being from Lorien, but bear with me Nil's quite old and very aware of things.)
tinquendi
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2006 02:57
The same moment Fearnur opened the door and stumbled into the crowded commonroom he immedeately noticed the two elves near the door, accompamying the Dunadan. Suddenly he was really glad that his hooded cloak hid his heandsome features, because he did not want to be recognized as what he was-a really drunk elf. And he did not want company right now. Therefor he thought about going back outside, but noticed that he was standing in the open door a moment too long when he felt three pairs of eyes watching him.
Finally he decided to go to his room and made a step in the right direction, trying to walk a straight line.
A second later he regretted his decition, because he stumbled and almost fell flat on his face. Fearnur managed to prevent it by holding on to a chair, when he noticed a hand on his shoulder, holding him upright.
When he turned around he learned that the hand belonged to a young elvish woman...

(ooc-I hope you don´t mind, Feawen
one_more_addiction
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2006 10:51
Feawen thanked Nilfalath, taking a seat; and the wine in both hands. Nilfalath had answered her questions, yes, but what she really wanted to know was what the elven woman was doing in a town of men; but at that point they were distracted by a cloaked figure stumbling through the door, his face hidden in the shadow of his hood. He stumbled swayingly towards them, before tripping and grabbing onto the chair Feawen sat in. She grabbed his arm to stop him collapsing to the wooden floor and, getting out of her chair, lifted him to his feet. As he turned his face towards her, his hood fell back. Another elf? This was a night of strange coincidence.
"Are you all right?" she asked the dangerously swaying elf, guiding him to a chair.
tinquendi
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2006 08:57
"I do not think so!" Fearnur answered "For I see elves where there shouldn´t be any elves! But if you are real, I shall be concerned no less, for I fear I am drunk enough for the three of us and that I should go to bed. The only problem is, that my bed was last situated in my room, and my momentary situation on the other hand is, that i am not able to get there." It was clear that Fearnur had a hard time speaking, but managed to do so with a clear voice.
~Háthien_Oronar~
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2006 11:15
(Ooc: Hey there, tinquendi! I like your character - he amuses me greatly! )

Nilfalath's left brow slid skywards, her serene aquatic blue eyes following the thoroughly inebriated he-Elf as he sunk into a nearby chair. Her sharp ears absorbed his rather amusing confirmation of being too drunk to keep his otherwise perfect elven balance, and she chuckled. His was a predicament only too common around here, but it was by far a comical sight nonetheless.

"I see the dilemma, my friend," the youthful-faced elleth replied, in too much of a good mood to not enjoy jesting along. "And, my, but you've gotten yourself in a pickle! Perhaps if you're lucky the bed'll come walking down those stairs, right over to you, and say 'Sir, your coach has arrived. Step lightly now and we'll be off to dreamland in two shakes of a lamb's tail.'"
tinquendi
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2006 02:51
(ooc-thanx!)

For a second or two Fearnur had to think about Nilfalath´s words and opened his mouth to inform her that it was not a bed´s nature to walk where it is needed, but then he closed his mouth and thought about it again, before he started to smile at her. Finally he said "I do not think this a laughing matter, fair maiden, but of course I do agree that it has to be comical for you. I would greately appreciate your jokes tomorrow, when I might be able to respond likewise." Being obviously exhausted by talking so much, he decided to make another try to get to his room and actually managed to get there without hurting himself. When he stumbled into his little room he fell onto the bed and fell asleep at once, with the door standing open and the boots still on his feet...
justice
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2006 05:28
Laota stood gaping at all that had just past. Three elves! Impossible! She had brought the dink to the first elf who in turn gave it to the second elf....and then the third one walked in!

The bar maid pushed back her cap saying "Well Bree is a very interesting place...I have not been here one month and already have i not only have i found a good paying job but also one that brings people with should not even be seen across my path!"

Turning back to the bench she picked up a try full of drinks. Yes, it was times like these when she felt the most homesick...Missing her home her family and her freedom...Walking over the a table full of large smelly men she set down the tray and began giving out the drinks. One of the men grabbed her apron strings and pulled her into his lap. Leota warted to scream! She was not like the other bar maids she had dignity! Why! why, i don't even dress like them i take care not to have this happen! However, it goes on happening every week! It took every thing in her not to Punch the guy and then go on and beat him up...But she new that would only get her in trouble and it might lose her her job. Wiggling her way out of his grip she walked quickly back over to the pick up counter.

Holding her hands to stop them from shaking she trying to calm her nerves. While in side cursing that man and her self for not being more attentive and her boss for not letting her take care of these matters as they should be dealt with! This would have never happen back at home! Turning she picked back up her tray once again filled and went on with her job....
~Háthien_Oronar~
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2006 11:54
((Oh, dear. I hope I haven't been gone too terribly long... anyone still here?))

A smile tilted her delicate pink lips, her storm-hued gaze sliding after Fearnur. Nilfalath watched closely as the Elf headed for the stairs, and slowly stumbled up step after step, finally making it into his room. A chuckle, its breathless melody barely matching a whisper, rose from her chest, and she turned once again to her own clay tankard.

It looked as though, for the first time that night, she would be able to mind her own business and keep her nose where it belonged- planted firmly on her face. However, her nose and Fate, it seemed, had other plans entirely. A surly lot, unbathed and wretched-looking, had caught her attention; a disgustingly plump man inparticularly so. As he tried to force his attentions on the put-off bar maid, Nilfalath's smile twisted into a scowl. The young woman squirmed enough to set her free, and when she moved off, the old elleth rose from her chair. Her mood not improving any, Nilfalath made her way to the men's table, their travel stench was unmistakeable and she doubted they were familiar with the concept of bathing.

"Good day,gentlemen." Their eyes lit up at the presence of the comely Elf. "You would enjoy a romp, wouldn't you?" At this, each and every one nodded adamently. Pleased with their answers, Nilfalath smiled, the gesture filled with false angelic appeal. "Excellent, and if you'd like to be able to do so in the future, then you'll kindly leave the young lady alone. Otherwise, I may have to rid you of unnecessary dangling parts, do you understand?"

Their expecting faces paled considerably, and satisfied with her accomplishment, Nilfalath returned to her table.
tinquendi
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2006 02:45
(ooc-a tripple hooray to the newcomers, comers-back, and, of course-me!
Oh, I guess I´ll make a second char til the story evolves a little further, or the night at least is over-if you mind just delete it)

Ted, the Hobbit

Ted noticed that there was some trouble brewing in one corner of the room, where a couple of men were looking ,rather iritated, at woman, possibly elvish. One of the men was getting angry now, so he grabbed a tray with full pints from a gaping barmaid and hurried towards their table. He stopped between the woman and the men and set down the tray in front of them :"You´d better take those pints and drink them nice and quietly, or you´ll spend the rest of the night outside, if you catch my meaning, Sirs!" he said in a polite, but resolute tone. "And you" he continued to the stanger, facing her, "you had better gone back to your table with me, if you please!" After they were out of earshot he continued a little friendlier: "I hope you´ll excuse, but we don´t want no trouble in here! If you´d like, you could go to your rooms now and I´d bring you a fine supper and a good brew, or vine if you´d prefer. For free, of course. Beg your pardon, but folks ´round here aint used to elves those days." And then he waited for her answer, looking at her intensively with friendly brown eyes, wringing his hands.

~Háthien_Oronar~
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2006 05:43
Nilfalath, her brows lifted in sheer surprise, gazed down at the resolute halfling. Seldom had she been scolded in her long life, and not once had it come from a Hobbit! It took a moment or two, but she did regain her composure, and in doing so sent one last heated glance in the direction of the ruffians before turning to acquiesce to the small bar keep's request.

Finding herself a good 12 feet and several tables distance away from the source of her ire, the Elf focused her Belegaer-blue eyes on the curly-haired head before her. What she met was a good-natured and entirely wholesome character, whose dark eyes shone with a kindly gleam. Unable to resist the amiable front presented by this Halfling, Nilfalath's face melted into a pleasant smile. "Forgive me, Master Hobbit, for it was not my intention to disrupt your amicable common room. I do understand that my being here is disturbance enough, and if it pleases you, then I shall retire to my room for the night. There is no need to send supper. Wine, however, would be lovely." She placed a friendly hand on his shoulder. "Thank you for your hospitality." With that, she took her leave and moved off towards the stairs.

Pausing briefly as she bypassed a certain table, Nilfalath addressed the younger elleth- "Goodnight to you, Feawen. Perhaps I shall see you come morning." And, with a smile and a slight wave, continued to her rooms.
tinquendi
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 20, 2006 02:20
"I thank you! I´ll bring the wine in an instant!" Ted replied to the elf with the pleasant voice. He had never talked to an elf- a real elf!- before in his life, and he was surprised that they were so beautiful. He brought the wine to the friendly elfen woman´s room and said "Good night" to her. On his way back to the common room he noticed an open door, but maybe the person inside expected a visitor? Anyways, this was none of his business, and Ted was not willing to risk anymore trouble this night.

ooc-may we call it a night and start a new day? except if you have any plans, then just go on!
~Háthien_Oronar~
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2006 06:21
((Ooc: I'm all for starting a new day, and I'll go right ahead if you don't mind. ))

As the sun rose, shining like the magnificent golden star it was, so too did Nilfalath, with only slightly less radiance. Her days on the road had left her in need of a restful night's sleep, and she had drifted into a peaceful slumber soon after her cheek had met the pillow. Now, that it was morning, though, she was up and about, plaiting her long hair into a exquisite braid and lacing up her traveling boots. As she finished with her daily preparations and slipped out the door, closing it firmly behind her.The petite elleth moved through the hall, down the stairs and finally found herself in the toasty and always welcoming common room.

Nilfalath situated her slender self at the long bar, ordering a cup of tea and a honey-slabbed slice of bread. Thanking the bar keep when he delievered her humble meal, she settled in to enjoy the early morning and buried her pink-tinged nose in the mug.
justice
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2006 05:15
Leota watched the elven lady from were she was standing. She so free.....she can go wherever she plaeses... Leota trying to cry but no tears came... They never did... Turning and picking up some empty mugs off the table she was clearing she mentally wiped all these thoughts from her mind... I cant feel anything...i cant! Cursing her own self inside she continued on with her work.
tinquendi
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 27, 2006 02:23
As Fearnur woke up the first thing he noticed was the sun shining into his room. Her gentle touch welcomed him on this beautiful morning. When he opened his eyes a little while later, though, he noticed his door standing open and remembered the night before...but there was something that did not seem right: He must have mixed up reality with a dream, because he remembered elves! Shaking his head he got up and went down into the almost empty, but homely commonroom. He went up to the bar, looking for a servant, and finally noticed a woman working at one of the tables: "I need breakfast, and a bath afterwards." Fearnur said to her, "Same as usual, bread and honey, maybe some fruits if you have any, and some wine." With that he turned around to look for a nice table and saw Nilfalath, sitting at the bar. He gaped at her for a second in wonder until he remembered his manners and went uo to her "I am deeply sorry, fair elleth! I must have passed you on my way without noticing you." he added with a bow. "May I take a seat?"
~Háthien_Oronar~
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2006 05:44
Nilfalath, having just finished her first cup of tea for the morning, glanced up at the now much more sober Fearnur. She had seen him gaping at her in undisguised shock from the corner of her eye just moments before. Now, as he stood by her side, apologizing for whatever grievance he felt he had done, she turned her full attention to him and smiled.

"Aye, you may. I'd enjoy the company this morn," she told him, while pouring herself some more tea. She placed the small kettle back on the counter, and continued. "Are you feeling much better? Last night, it seemed you were a bit... unsteady." She grinned.
tinquendi
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2006 01:36
Fearnur grimaced at Nilfalath and, while sitting down, answered: "Yes, I think I overcame all the -unsteady-ness- from last night, thank you. Actually I have to admit that I am quite surprised of your presence in this town of men- and hobbits. Are you heading anywhere in particular?"
A moment later the woman (I hope you don´t mind, Justice) brought the food he had ordered, and he noticed exactly how hungry he was.
justice
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2006 06:21
Leota watched the two elves as they conversed. They seem so easy going and at peace...I day maybe i will be that way... She had already given the one his food and he was now hungrily eating it.

((sorry its so short))
Eldarion
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2006 03:40
Lethran sighed heavily, pushing the tattered wooden door of the Prancing Pony aside to step into the warm yet rustic atmosphere of the pub. He wiped his long, dark, soaked hair out of his eyes and glanced about the room. As usual, it was full. Always full. Despite the fact that the War had been long over and the majority of Bree men had took up their buisnesses and moved to Gondor for the hope of opportunity, nothing could dampen the Prancing Pony's attractiveness to the wanderer.

The Elf stepped heavily towards the only table with a seat left. He had no idea what race they were, where they came from, nor did he had much interest in knowing. To be honest, he was rather tired of trying to figure every one out and analyze the personality of every stranger he came across. The chair scraped across the wooden floorboards as Lethran pulled it out, taking a seat in it and waving over a nearby waitress. He placed a couple coins on her tray and in turn took the mug of ale she was holding. Before taking a drink he realized the inhabitants of the table were probably curious to his somewhat rude and forceful occupation of their last chair. "Nice night out, eh?" he asked with a forced smirk, the water still dripping from his hair like the sarcasm dripping from his words.
~Háthien_Oronar~
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2006 11:12
"Anywhere inparticular?" Nilfalath sat, her long fingers wrapped snugly around her cup, and considered Fearnur's question. Seeming to come back to herself, she replied, "I'm on my way to Imladris to see a few, lingering friends, but whether that is the extent of my journey, only the Valar know." She smiled, and was about to ask the same of him, when yet another Elf joined their little party.

A lone brow quirked in question as the sopping wet ellon took a seat. His unsually haughty air, coupled with the cynical smirk, was enough to dampen Nilfalath's previously blithe mood. Her own sardonic streak snatched at the oppurtunity like a dog does a bone. "Funny thing that, as the last I knew my friend here and I were enjoying a rather lovely breakfast." She regarded the younger Elf with disapproval. "I do, indeed, see that the weather has turned sour-" she eyed his rain-soaked personage "-but despite those clouds it is still daylight. Perhaps your eyesight needs checking, young one? Along with your manners."

[Edited on 21/3/2006 by ~Háthien_Oronar~]
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2006 06:05
((This looks like good fun. My lad is Tarthil, an orphan and sixteen years old.))

"Whew!" Tarthil entered the back door of the Pony, shaking his dark hair out. He was the stableboy for the Prancing Pony; had started work there three months ago after his parents died and left him alone in Bree.

"It's really coming down out there," he said cheerfully to Leota as he came around front to beg some food from her. "Just the time when lots of travelers would pick to come, eh?" He wrung his shoulder-long hair out and looked around the room.
justice
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2006 04:18
((leota's fifteen so it will be good to have someone her age! ))

"Oh! don't you come bagging to me! Plus there are far more important things in life then food at the moment." She said pointing to the elven trio. "They came in last night... I thought they had all left... I never saw one till yesterday...The never came to the riddamark you know...." One more feeling of homesickness came over her. Pushing all thoughts of that out of her mind she turning back to the boy placing a small plate of food in front of him. "So what do you think Tarthil?"
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2006 12:15
The young man followed her pointing finger and grinned as he took the plate. "Wonder why so many of that kind are coming here right now," he remarked, pinching a fingerful of potatoes and stuffing them in his mouth. "I saw them last night. They walk awful straight, don't they? Wonder how they keep from getting sore backs. I saw 'em once or twice in Gondor; the king's friends with a whole pack of them."

He shoveled another fingerful into his mouth before adding, "And nothing's more important than food." He grinned charmingly at his friend as he mimed a cup. "Except maybe something strong to drink...to warm the blood on a cold, rainy morning..."
justice
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 22, 2006 05:22
Setting a cup down in front of him she grinned saying."They don't walk that straight. You are just used to handing horses to half drunk hooligans!" Sighing she started to clean up some empty mugs behind the counter. "I hate it when it rains here... We don't get business and those who are already here stay and get, oh so drunk!..." Looking back over at the elf's she said. "Do they have horses here Tarthil?"
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 22, 2006 09:55
"Yup!" Tarthil replied with a grin as he smelled the contents of the cup with satisfaction. Good old Leota...she always gave him a cup of the good ale. She was generous, like old Butterbur. "All of 'em do, and finer horses I've never seen. I took special care to feed 'em well and brush them, and they seemed to like it, the sweet things."

He took a deep drink as he looked Leota over carefully. "Hey, you all right?" he asked, suddenly serious. He'd been at the Pony longer than his younger friend and he'd seen how the drunkards took to the barmaids. "Anyone trouble you lately?"

He liked Leota; she was a breath of the open air of Rohan in a place that could be a sty at times. He did whatever he could to help her; picking flowers to adorn the bar when he could find them, or giving her a particularly sweet treat when the markets opened.
justice
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 22, 2006 10:46
Leota listened to him while he talked about the horses. I bet there wonderful! However, not as fantastic as my Fathers were...Or my darling Marsha...

Snapping back out of her imagining she said. "Yes, last night..." Her voice choked up alittle. " I don't understand Tarthill! I am so different from them." She said waving her hand over at a group of very immodestly dressed girls only a year or two her senior. " I don't act like them i don't talk like them...I don't even come from where they do..." Wiping her hand across her face she whispered. "I am so sorry...It just makes me mad because there is nothing i can do about it..."
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 22, 2006 03:19
Silently, the stableboy took out his bright red handkerchief and handed it to her. "You are different," he told her. "You're the only girl around here I can stand to be around, and not just for the food. You know you can come out to the stable and tell me when something happens, right? I can deal out justice with a staff when they wander outside to be sick."

He smiled, trying to cheer her up. "Hey, do you want to come out on your break and visit the horses? I'll bet they'd like to meet a genuine horse lass...and I know they get kinda lonesome, just me talking to them."
justice
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2006 04:39
Leota looked up her whole face beaming with the thought of seeing the elven horses. "Oh! could i? I would love that!" Wiping the last few tears off her face she said. "Well, last night when it happened...That elf that is sitting farthest away from us. She is the one of helped me." Picking up his empty dishes she turned to go into the back. "i will come out on my brake if i can!" With one last smile and a wave she walked into the back part of the pub.
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2006 10:45
Tarthil finished his mug of ale as he watched his Rohirric friend go back into the back. He knew that being around horses would help cheer her up as much as she could be cheered; she had come and helped him when she had time before, and he could tell she was used to being around fine horses.

His gaze slid to the elf who had helped Leota, and he watched her for a long, silent moment. She didn't look any older than, maybe, 23 or so. But there was something about her expressions as she talked to the others at the table that told him she was much older than she looked.

It took him a moment to gather his courage, but at last, he decided he needed to say something. Setting the empty mug down, he walked over to the elf, removing his hat as he approached her table. "Pardon my intrusion, my lady," he said politely, bowing slightly when she looked up at him. "I just wanted to thank you for helpin' my friend, the barmaid there." He indicated where Leota had gone. "I'm not always around to help her...so, um, thanks." He had never talked to an elf beyond a few words exchanged when they passed off their horses, and he could feel the blood rising to his ears as he realized how beautiful the two lady elves were.
~Háthien_Oronar~
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 24, 2006 04:31
((Hello and welcome, Vanalosswen! Have I RP'ed with you before? It seems to me I have...))

Nilfalath had been keeping tabs on the young barmaid the majority of the morning, and the sudden appearance of the stableboy had not gone unnoticed. He seemed to be an amiable lad, and the brotherly affection he held for the Rohirric girl was quite evident.

Now, as he stood before her, the tips of his ears turning a delicate shade of pink, the matured elleth found herself liking this wisp of a young man immediately. Her own glowering look had been replaced with a much more pleasant expression, and to help his current state of unease, she smiled. "What is your name, lad?" When he responded with a slighty timid "Tarthil", she nodded in approval. "A good, elvish name. Now, Tarthil, you are most welcome to intrude upon my day anytime you like. I can always spare moments for the wonderfully youthful; 'tis a refreshing touch of vivacity for this old elf."

She, having seen as many millenia as she had, had aqquired a sense of humor about it. Nilfalath was not one to deny that she was, indeed, quite old. As swiftly as the world around her changed, though, it seemed to move at an even faster pace since the end of the War and the closing of this last age. If truth be told, she was beginning to feel the effects of an unchanging body in this quickly diversifying world.

Nilfalath continued, then, after a swallow of tea. "Thanks are not necessary. I help whenever I can and, last night, it appeared as though she may have needed it." She seemed to shoo away his thankfulness with a brief wave of her hand. "How about telling me how my sweet Assa fares? He's the small, stubborn bay with a nose for trouble."

((I don't believe I have to tell you what the modern translation of the Old English assa is... ))
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 24, 2006 10:34
(( I think we have RPed together before now, Hathien...the name is very familiar. Either way, 'tis a pleasure to do so with you now.))

Tarthil found himself grinning in response to the elf's smile as he braced his hands on the back of the chair in front of him. "That lad?" he asked. "I had to chase him out of the oats bin this morning. Darned if I know how he got out of his stall, but he did. He's a sweet one, though, and amiable when it suits him." He liked her smile far better than the frown he'd noticed earlier when Leota pointed her out. It made her very blue eyes shine nicely.

She called herself old. As far as he knew, elves never did that; they were ageless, thus without the bother of 'old' and 'young'. Maybe when they saw enough years, the young human reflected, they got something of a sense of humor about the whole aging thing and just dealt with it. He had been right, though; she was probably a lot older than she seemed.

Running a hand through his dark hair, he asked, "If I can be so bold, where do you come from? I've seen Mirkwood elves once or twice, but they seem a bit different than you."
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email