Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Anyone learning to drive?
on: December 05, 2006 03:08
After two years of trying to get my liscense, I finally got it last Thursday. I'm happy, now I can go places!
tripple_mmm
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2006 06:45
yeap im learning how to drive

i hate my teacher to death, but the driving itself is cool.
its a little bit challenging because of my disability (i have no right hand). but the car is rebiuild for me. the most drastic chance is the knob so its ok.

but i haven'd learned at all ^^''
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2006 09:46
I wish you luck for passing your liscense! I finally got mine a couple of weeks ago.
IthilionofMirkwood
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 13, 2006 08:00
i'vebeen trying to learn to drive for two years now. i'm disabled so it's REALLY HARD! in my experience, other drivers seem to see the L-plates and either treat you like they own the road, or try and stay as far away from you as possible.

come on... my driving's not THAT bad!
OselleElentari
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2006 04:13
My brother just got his L's today (Australian system). My parents have been pressuring me to start learning. I quite frankly have no interest in driving, and then there' the fact that I'm terrified and have no mechnical skills whatsoever (not a very practical person! and they want me to learn on a MANUAL of all things). Such is life!

Why can't we go back to the good old days when everyone rode horses? No gears to change...and you can be friends with your vehicle!
AmandaWood
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2007 04:28
wow! that L thing is confusing! I'm learning to drive except I live in North Dakota in the US so we get a permit as early as 14 and as long as you pass your test and take driver's ed you get to get your liscense after 6 months! It is CraZy!
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2007 08:31
I'm currently learning to drive in the UK - it's fab! Really good fun, if a bit tiring. Going to take my theory test on the 28th, then if I pass I'll take my practical about 2 months later, as there's a huge waiting list. I find that people can be really obnoxious around learners... like morons on dual carriageways refusing to let me overtake just because it bruises their ego to be overtaken by a leaner. Idiots!

Or like the maniac who overtook me in heavy fog, on a sharp bend, at night, and he was doing about 50 mph... He can kill himself if he likes, but I'll thank him to leave me out of it...
Meldaerin
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2007 11:48
I got my US permit in the fall - it's lots of fun! I'm a musican, so to try to help me "get it" my dad uses musical analogies. I'm supposed to crescendo and decrescendo the brakes and gas (as opposed to terraced dynamics), but I end up just laughing at him.
He also likes to have philisophical/political discussions while I'm driving, which makes no sense since I thought I was supposed to be concentrating on the road...
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2007 10:04
Lol, Meldaerin. I don't like practicing with my dad. I'm actually not that bad, but he's really alarmist and always assumes I don't know what to do, which really annoys me. "Second gear! Brake! Clutch!" Grrr... I KNOW, Dad! That's what I'm doing!

For some reason I just don't get on with him in teacher mode. Sadly my mum can no longer drive (eyesight not good enough), so I can't practice with her... The only upside of this is that they're paying for my lessons as they need another driver in the household.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 02, 2007 02:02
I'm not exactly learning to drive as I had my Washington state drivers license since November 1973. However, coming to Australia, I was suddenly driving in a right hand drive car going down the road to the left of oncoming traffic. Certain things that have been set for years have to be reversed, like looking over the eft shoulder when backing up, instead of the right one. The first time I did it, my neck popped really big! It wasn't used to going that way! Othe rthan that, I occasionally hit the wipers on instead of signalling, and the most trouble I've had is in car park lots. Oh yeah, walking is dangerous since I've been trained since a kid to look left, then right before crossing a street. Here its right, then left. I almost got taken out once as I started to step into the road since nobody was coming from my left...
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
frodofan14
CoE Volunteer & Realm Head of Manwë Súlimo
Send Message
on: December 02, 2007 04:50
i wish i was learning. a few more years.
EstelwenJesusFreak
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2007 04:56
i just turned 16 last week so if my dad ever finds my drivers ed slip that he lost (im a little ticked about that still..) i can get my license!!
Aranelien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2008 06:37
I have an expired US permit.

I've been working on getting my lisence since I was 16...I'm 20 now. Since I'm not taking driver's ed I have to drive 50 hours in all types of weather and I just never had the time to drive when I was home. Now I'm at college with no car and no lisence so I have to get friends to drive me places.

The good thing is I don't have to spend a fortune on gas
Davidlgs
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2008 08:50
I'm a very natural driver. I got my permit the day after my birthday (as early as I can get it where I live). And I'm already a very good driver, NEVER taken ANY lessons before I first drived and I was perfect. Again, I'm very natural. I plan on getting my lisence the day after I turn 16. I guess I'm just lucky, maybe playing all those car games in the past have finally paid off?
FollowerOfGandalf25
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2008 09:48
I'm starting to drive this summer and get my driving lessons done so I can pass.

from a follower of gandalf.
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 19, 2008 05:49
So, I've had my permit for a little over a year. I absolutely hate it though--I find it very scary. My first time driving, I ran a sign over. X_x;; And I've gone over the curb once. It's really nerve-wracking. I know I have to learn, but I get so nervous behind the wheel. I'm afraid that I'm going to crash or hurt someone.

And yes, other drivers on the road freak me out as well--especially when they try to intimidate you by driving real close behind. It's scary...

And my dad can get very excited while teaching me--I'm already nervous as heck about the whole thing, and there he goes yelling at me about everything I do which of course only makes me even more nervous.

I swear, I absolutely hate this, but I know I have to learn. I'm just really scared about the whole thing, I don't know what I can do to get over it...
Rainyaviel_of_Rivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 25, 2008 10:05
I have my L plates but I havent driven for ages now.I dont have a car,and I cant afford to get driving lessons.when I finally get a job I will have to save for a car.it wouldnt be much but it would be something at least.my brother used to take me for driving lessons but hes too busy now.
Eletúrë
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 07, 2008 10:09
I'm learning the theory - getting my learner's in a few weeks. *nervous* - did the 'give way' rules comfuse anyone else?
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email