Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
Post calling authors
on: August 11, 2006 06:08
i'm interested in trying a rather different approach to the roleplaying forum: an rp with several different characters, all of whom are not protagonists. in short, all the characters would be rather earthly realistic, not really bad, but not really good either.

i confess i stole this idea from various authors i'm reading, whose effect has ended up in my own writing. you never entirely dislike the characters, and you never truly like them, either, and none can be considered heroes. reference perhaps the sons of feanor in the silmarillion for a general concept.

so, perhaps, if there is anyone else interested in this style of writing, we may start a thread. the concept i have involves a beginning in a town of gondor, probably on the border, and maybe one/several men of mordor get thrown in the mix, and all try to hold their own against the coming war of the ring.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: calling authors
on: August 13, 2006 07:49
This seems interesting. Could you give (PM) me some more details about what you have in mind? It would be an interesting challenge, and I think I could enjoy co-writing something like this.
Jadawen_Lady_Of_Rohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2006 06:18
I may be interested too,but i would need somemore info.If you could PM me that would be cool.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2006 08:27
I think this sounds interesting but I would like more info also. I'm glad we're coming up with more ideas! Finally something outside of the box!
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
wordsmith
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2006 02:59
Yeah! sounds great. please PM me with more info
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2006 03:44
This sounds like a great deal of fun. I think I'd like to get involved in it. I like this different take on RPs, with more realistic characters than the almost-Mary-Sues that seem to be running hither, thither and yon now.
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2006 09:09
Could you also pm me with more details? I have an idea for a character that has been rattling around in my head, that I have not been able to find a home for...
Aravis17
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2006 09:56
good idea pitya!! Ariæté would be my character, a peasant from Rohan, who, like the other peasants, is just a wallflower, ignored, no nevermind to her. (when does this take place? coz this could happen anytime - ) she packs up and moves to Gondor, to try to find a job as a barmaid there, because (a) she just wants to get away, (b) the wotr has come upon rohan and she wants to get away, or (c) the wotr is over, and she wants to leave before more evil comes to rohan. she has just turned eighteen and has left the house of her father's to journey into the world (another reason she left). Anyone else have ideas?
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2006 10:57
My character would be Hyldo. He is definately not a hero, but he's not a bad guy either. He was born in Rohan but lives as a ranger in Gondor. He leads a pretty lonely life because he left his family in Rohan. Thats my character don't have any ideas yet.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2006 06:06
wow--lots of interest, and from new faces, nonetheless. it makes me smile.

for the sake of time and effort on everyone's part, i'll just post the more developed thread idea here. (mistral, if you want to help me on any point i forgot, please do--it's been a while since i thought about this, with all the insanity around my place)

the setting would be a gondorian town (pre-wotr, several years before the war truly gets 'started') around the borders of ithilien, further south, i should think, which would provide more room for haradrim, etc, should anyone desire such a character. the more realistic the character, the better.

general rules are as follows (forgive me for formalities, and at the risk of offending):

no mary-sues/gary-stues

moderate drama appreciated, melodrama not

things are taken slow: no fastforwarding (moving exceptionally fast to the point where a battle takes three sentences). characters are more the focus with this thread

pulling from previous idea, only take as many characters as you can handle well, and develop/work with reasonably. if you can keep five characters going well, feel free.

posts are preferabely rather lengthy, not reams and reams about how the sunlight hits someone's face perfectly, but then, not down and dirty statements period. i guess, workmanship required.

and finally: keep your character's friends unfamous. while a gondorian soldier who was faramir's best friend when they were little is interesting and well, i'd rather not have it in the thread.

like i said, sorry about formalities--i'm really glad it's gotten some interest. feel free to comment on said formalities; they are open to discussion. post character profiles here, and we can all pitch in ideas.

[Edited on 20/8/2006 by pitya]

[Edited on 21/8/2006 by pitya]
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2006 04:10
Ok, this is my character then:
Name: Leoma
Race: Rohan
Description: Young, goes to Gondor to trade for goods for his family. Origonally a farmer, now one of the Riders of Rohan (but not under any orders)
Appearance: 6'1, blond hair (not much out of the ordinary) clean shaven. Wears simple red leather armour, a coat of chainmail, and a red cape.

So this is my character I would be using any ideas or suggestions, he is also in the member's database.
Mírenaer
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2006 02:21
I think this sounds good as well. If you take more writers I'd like to join.
I'm thinking of a character of mixed heritage (part Haradrim). At least that was my first thought, but things might still change.
Also I'll be on vacation for 10 days starting Thursday. If you want to get started with all characters during that time I'd understand...
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2006 06:24
hey mirenaer, glad to have you. i'm not entirely sure as to when we'll start...as you may have noticed, i'm not the organized, set in stone calander types. which applies to the thread in general: any and all ideas welcome. i just threw out the idea, and the thread's a group effort. so i suppose it depends on everyone.

ariæté sounds like a good character, aravis--perhaps you could work a bit of all three scenarios into one. they all work well, in my opinion.

i think the character i've decided upon is modig. young lad of rohan, taken in by talk of fighting and the 'mystery' of several of his brother's friends, who turn out mordor junkies, and proceeds to become one himself in his late youth. he was apprenticed to a blacksmith, and upon 'coming of age' he moves to the borders of gondor as a station for possible involvement, sort of a free radical strategically placed just in case something should come up. he is in his mid twenties, i should think, and is not entirely certain of his standing in his political position. he works as a blacksmith in the forge of an older man named Rowe.

Mírenaer
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 22, 2006 12:43
Great pitya! I'm glad to join. Just let me know when you start, and then maybe my character will join in a bit later, in case you get started before the 4th.
I have a few vague ideas for the character but I guess I'll take some time during the vacation to fix all that and be ready as soon as I return. I'll stay though with the (at least part) Haradrim, only so you know a minimum before I leave.
Aravis17
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 22, 2006 12:32
her full name is Mægdan Ariæté, and people just call her Maeg - she is in the database as the above name, if you want more info. i dont know how to put all those scenarios into one, since this is pre WOTR, but if an attack on Rohan happened, dont know who attacked, but she decided while her father fought, she could leave him and go to Gondor, and a new life, that might work. either the wildmen attack or something else - and when are we starting this? coz i start school in two weeks, and i wont be allowed on the internet that much - work and my mother.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 22, 2006 04:54
Um...this is all great, great to have everyone...unfortunetly...I have to leave you for several days (four to five to be exact) I'm going camping with my dad, family tradition as it is. So...if you start the RPG in that timeframe know that I will join in late. Please have mercy!
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 22, 2006 06:25
seeing as how everyone has different time constraints, etc., i'll post the thread here in another day or so and others can join as they see fit and are able. as to maeg, i think you could pull off an attack of wildmen, seeing as how it's not entirely too far before the wotr...

at any rate, i'll post the thread in the tr forum. haven't really decided as to the title, so i suppose it'll be a surprise. have fun on your trip, minstral; see you in a few days.
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 23, 2006 06:00
Eh, still have to throw together a character. I was thinking about using Rolan or Denthor. I though either was a little too out of the ordinary, though...
wordsmith
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 24, 2006 08:21
hi again! im just giving you my character. pleasetell me if its too good/too evil.
Name: Calun
Race:Khand-Gondorian
hair: brown, has mustash
carries sword and a sheild.
he was born to a gondorian man and a Kandish woman. he trained as a armssmith as a child. he is currently 27 years old and is out of work despite there being many people requiring weapo
ns. Because of his mixed blood he is unsure where his allegances lie.
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 25, 2006 12:25
Finally... Two of the characters I was planning on using are now completed.

Sachiel

Rachal

I was planning on another, but I may or may not finish writing the bio.
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 26, 2006 01:50
well, the thread's up in the tr under 'inherence'. i tried to describe the town a bit, and name it (on a whim, i admit: tuluvaran; if anyone has serious objections, feel free to tell me so on no uncertain terms). Any additional description would be welcome. Post/enter when you can, and we'll try to take it slow for a bit until everyone is settled on characters.

calun sounds good, wordsmith, and your characters, too, salkeitha. you can always bring in the other character at a later date if you want; i might, if i find time and inspiration. as far as characters being out of the ordinary, i don't have too many objections, unless they're an unknown prince that is trying to retake his throne and conquer the world, etc.

any further description of the town, it's inhabitants, or general details are thoroughly welcome.

[Edited on 26/8/2006 by pitya]
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 27, 2006 06:42
Question regarding the title of the role-play: 'inherence' isn't an actual word in the English language at all. The closest to it is 'inherent' which means "Existing as an essential constituent or characteristic". I was wondering if perhaps you meant to call the role-play 'Inheritance'.

That's just me, though, and my nitpicking spelling ways.
CoNFuSeD_Elessar
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 27, 2006 07:48
I am quite interested in joining as well. I'll think on a character for now. But it is a great setting to start on.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: August 28, 2006 08:52
I am interested as well. I am familiar with most people here so it would interesting to see the different characters that people can come up with. Course, I'll have to come up with a new charrie too...
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 28, 2006 03:09
the more the merrier, so long as everyone keeps up with their characters. glad to have you both.

as far as 'inherence' goes, salkiethia, it is a word, defined by dictionary.com as:

1. the state or fact of inhering or being inherent.
2. Philosophy. the relation of an attribute to its subject

i must admit it's a bit of an odd word, though it does exist. i'm slghtly odd in that respect, a lover of out-of-the-way words. i concur, with the spelling at any rate, most times.

cheers, and hey to minstral--glad to have you back.
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 29, 2006 05:37
I'll take your word for it, pitya. Valar knows none of us are error-proof.

So, any specific ideas for just where this roleplay is going to go?
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 29, 2006 04:55
i suppose it would be good to allow some time for the characters to interact, etc., though that can't go on forever. perhaps we should decide if we want this to end up on an 'adventure' of sorts, or just keep the dynamics within the town, or however.

we could also postpone decision until the characters are decently acquainted and have a general feel for eachother.
wordsmith
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 30, 2006 06:01
Yeah, well i think that keeping it in the town is a good idea just for now. other wise it might become irksome with lots of characteters just showing up. a town is good for now me thinks.
Aravis17
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 31, 2006 02:49
Here's a American Heritage Thesauras entry on inherent - for those who dont understand the defintion (me!)

INHERENT -
1. (adj.) Of or relating to a basis, foundation, or elementary element:
• fundamental
• basic
• rudimental
• underlying
• foundational
• primary
• main
• central
• principle
• constitutional
• intrinsic
• organic
2. (adj.) Of or relating to the essential nature of a thing:
• intrinsic
• basic
• elemental
• innate
• extrinsic (antonym)
• extraneous (antonym)
• external (antonym)
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: August 31, 2006 10:54
That is a good idea to stay in the village. With the number of possible members, it would be no mean feat to keep track of everyone.
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 31, 2006 06:28
within the village it is. we can always change it at a later point.

thanks for the thesauras entry, aravis: i think my favourite's rudimental.

side note--let's try to keep the posts a bit longer, and more substantail. Think of it a bit like writing a book...not that we're writing a book, but it's a nice structural concept, i suppose.

[Edited on 1/9/2006 by pitya]
Mírenaer
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2006 08:16
Hi everyone! Just wanting to let you know I'm back and still enthusiastic to join! I'm curious what has been written so far...
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: September 12, 2006 11:36
Do we know if elessar is still interested in doing this?
Mírenaer
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 14, 2006 11:39
I wanted to know how we want to continue the RP now, seeing that some of us have left Tuluvaran already...
Will we be following two groups from here? That would be my suggestion. The three travellers will go on as they seem to want to be going faster then others, and the rest will continue getting to know each other and maybe later in the play start traveling too. They could then meet up again somewhere and we can then go on together from that point. We would only have to take care of the timeline so that we have more or less the same time and day...
Any other suggestions?
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: September 15, 2006 04:32
Sounds good to me. I think we should do it!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email