Register

Author Topic:
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
Post OOC: Darkest Before the Dawn
on: November 17, 2006 07:24
Thread Link: Click Here

Later once this thread is moved to where it belongs I will post a link here for easy access during discussion.

Not many ideas quite yet on where I want this to go, but I do want to get to know some well spoken RP folks during and possibly have a nice well scripted RP come of it.

Those who would like to join, please PM me and we can discuss what character you would like to use, and also if you could do as others have and give me another thread you are part of so that I may see your writing style. Every little detail is important for a good RP.

As I said before, no ideas yet. But I don't want any outrageous, spontaneous battling, I like to try and stay away from interaction with main characters of the books, because it is indeed only Tokien Related.

So if you are interested and are brimming with ideas that could fit with the other characters already interested, please contact me and we can share a mug and discuss what you have in mind

My character being used : Iviera/Ivi (pronounced Ivy-era)

[Edited on 8/1/2007 by Iri]
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
Post RE: OOC: Darkest Before the Dawn
on: November 17, 2006 11:44
Hello again! I know that you and I have corresponded, but I felt that it would be best if I posted here as well! My thoughts are that before we go too much further into this thread, we should have some idea of what we are doing so we have something that we can build off of. The first thread I ever did had no plot, and it completely shut down. In the second installment of it, we are still struggling to have any sort of plot, and that is why it would be best to have something to guide us. My character is Diore, and she is in the db as well.
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2006 03:36
I welcome you again Dinenlasse. I'm eager to get started. And I do agree, some slight planning should go into this.

I like some sort of structure, so if we could get an exact location of our characters that would be nice. My character is a traveler therefore she has no real destination, she is hopping from town to town currently.

Confused_Goblin
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2006 01:51
Hi!
Do you have any use for an orc in your rpg?
I'm searching for a rpg, where an orcish character would fit in, and since your game has just started and you haven't decided on a plot yet, I thought I just ask.
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: November 18, 2006 06:59
I would be interested in rp'ing with you, Iri, if you can come up with some sort of basic storyline to follow. It would mean I would have to develop a new char, as I dislike replaying chars in multiple threads, but as I don't know where you are going, I don't know what or who you might need.

Perhaps if you could give us a beginning plot here, we can get this moving, assuming you would bid me welcome.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 20, 2006 03:59
Welcome everyone!

C_G you are most welcome. I don't see where an orc could fit in just yet. With the plot that is coming to mine that I will describe later. However, if there is another character you would like to add that would be great. Also, I'm not completely ruling out the character of an orc, cause as you said, it is just beginning and no real plot has begun. But if you see a way to fit in, keep an eye on the thread.

I'm glad to see you finally posted BerethEdhellen. I,too, am not fond of RP'ing with the same character in more than one thread.

As far as the plot goes. An RPG can't go wrong if it is a quest. It is a good basis to go on, since we are coming up with this slowly.

I was reading in some of the archives of old threads in the TT forums and came across The Quest for Aeglos. I read the entire thing, of course it had its normal RP ups and downs. The problem with too many characters, but it had great potential and if you are bored it is worth a read. It offered a great waste of time. The characters worked well together and the players seemed to have a lot process put into it.

My point is, this RP inspired me to do something similar...a quest of an item that is of Middle Earth. I've been doing some research on what such items could possibly fit into the 'lost' category.

Two such items came up that seemed possible:
Elendilmir
Nauglamír

These both are linked to the CoE encyclopedia for you to read about. Please read before continuing.
_________

The idea of searching for Nauglamir seems a bit out there and would be a lot of extra storying adding. For example, how the necklace became lost and now is needing to be searched for. But it is an item rested heavily on what many people I'm sure in the Fourth Age would consider legend. The whole story with Elwing, could seem a bit far-fetched to the people of Middle Earth, thus a treasure worth searching for. Whether they find well that is up for discussion if this is the route we choose.

The second item, the Stone of the Kings of Gondor, has more potential then that of the necklace. For it is said, that it was indeed lost and found again. That could be where we come in with an RP. We could be the ones who found it in Isengard and returned it in the Fourth Age... but of course our characters would not know it was in Isengard and could develop into a very interesting RP, in the end.

So there is a basis. Depending on where this goes I too may have to change my character. But that is no problem. It is always a joy to meet someone new

Anyways, there it is for your input and consideration. What say you? You realize, even though I've started the thread, doesn't mean its my way or the highway. I want a combined planning in this. That way, in the end we can all be a bit proud of our contributions.

[Edited on 20/11/2006 by Iri]

[Edited on 21/11/2006 by Iri]
Confused_Goblin
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 21, 2006 03:34
A quest sounds good to me.
I'm not sure which subject offers more potential, it all depends on what we make of it.
The search for a silmaril certainly would offer more room for our own ideas, but would therefore be also more difficult.
Going on a search for the Elendilmir would be somewhat easier, but i think it should be something more inventive than the "heros sent out by their king on a search"-plot.

Concerning the character-thing: I definitely want to play an orc, because most likely I won't have time to play more than one character, and so I want this to be one I really like to play.
So if you don't mind me playing an orc I will see if I can find a chance to join.
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2006 03:54
Well, the idea to search for the Elendilmir would only be less inventive if we made it so. It would be that King Aragorn sent out heros on search if we made it that way... We are the RP's we could end up on the search for any number of reasons.

According to recent research I've done (i could be wrong). Aragorn never sent out a search, therefore we wouldn't even be really TT in that sense. If we went by what has been said about the subject and then added, a really interesting RP would be the outcome.

Just keep in mind if you are set on playing an orc, it would be small part, for our focus would be opposite. I would not like to have an orc as part of our quest members. If you decide to be an orc, you would, of course, be on the opposing side and not much of a focus.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: November 28, 2006 12:35
I have finally finished reading through this, and I am excited. I think I will have to make another character, but I don't know. What guidelines are we having for characters? I mean, I know the character I want to use, but I don't know if she will be the best one to use for this idea.
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2006 03:31
It all depends really on what we all decide and agree upon. If we are searching for the Naug...then we make characters or use characters that would more than likely fit the plot.

But we really can't start deciding too much on characters I've realized until we've all made a vote on where exactly this is going.

Therefore, those interested, make suggestions please!!
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: November 30, 2006 11:28
Well, if we are searching for the Naug, I think that it would be better if our characters were slightly older (unless we would want to do the bold, young adventurers hearing about an old legend and wanting to search for it type of thing). As for the Elendimir, I am not that certain, but if Aragorn never sent out a search party for it, and it was decided in the thread that he did, then our characters could be more contemporary to the Fourth Age.
tawar_meldis
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 03, 2006 05:14
this could be a very interesting thread, once some of the details get figured out.

Once that happens i will work on a char to fit the thread. The char i have right now are spread thin enough.

i agree with a search but we will need to be carefull after all there is already one thread set up like that now.

i will keep watch on this ooc and se what hppens
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 04, 2006 05:41
Welcome Tawar, I'm glad you have found some interest. If you could please give me an example of a thread you are part of so I can see what your writing abilities are, we can allow you to become part of thread and you can begin on the discussing. Thank You.

I myself, think the Elendilmir is a more likely choice, maybe after some feedback from bereth we could really begin deciding.

So my vote leans toward the Elendilmir, that we since we are all new with each other we won't have to constantly discuss and approach details in the thread. For their would be quite a few details that would need to be watched if we did a Sil thread.

Unless of course, you all believe we could get knee-deep in research and Middle Earth history and not be at each others throats :evil: I'm up for it if you are.

Your right Din about the characters. So everyone read what has been offered, post a vote on which you would rather play and we can discuss from there.

Would you rather search for the Naug or the Elendilmir?

Once everyone has voted we can begin with the characters.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: December 04, 2006 06:04
It doesn’t matter to me, though looking at it realistically for what I most knowledgeable on, I would rather search for the Elendimir.

If you are looking for a thread or two that tawar is in, Iri, you can look in a couple of mine. We post together quite often.
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2006 03:49
Thanks Din! I read some of your post Tawar. You are wonderful RP player, Welcome to the discussion

Once Tawar and Bereth get thier two cents in we can continue.
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: December 06, 2006 06:32
Iri,

I so hate to do this to you but with the holidays coming and other committments abounding, I don't think I will have sufficient time to do your thread justice. Thus, I will have to drop out of this for now. If I see a place to jump in later, I will do so then but for now.......*rueful smile*

Good luck and enjoy!
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Confused_Goblin
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2006 03:32
I'm out, too. It doesn't make sense playing a character the other players disagree with. Have fun anyway.
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2006 06:18
I'm sorry to see you both go. And I am very sorry C_G if I seemed offending or a bit rude This is hopefully to turn into a very strict RP and therefore hardly any exception can be made.

There is one more person who seems interested, that I am corresponding with through PM that I hope to see later in this discussion.

Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: December 07, 2006 11:44
I am still interested in this thread...let me know any ideas and whatnot. I will check back with this though Hope is taking up most of my time.
Hainima
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2006 01:25
Hi Guys,

Thanks, Iri, for letting me join. I haven't set up a character yet as it depends what the story looks like. He'll be human but not one of my existing characters.

The Elendilmir sounds like a good quest. I suspect a search for the Nauglamir would be difficult, if interesting, though I suppose it might be somewhere in Ered Luin?
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 13, 2006 07:15
Ok...Din and Hainima and tawar

Sounds like we will be embarking on a journey in search of the Elendilimer. There are maybe two others that might still be interested, but they haven't posted in awhile and I am eager to begin real discussion, and I think we might have enough people already.

Since we have decided what period we would like to RP during and what we are going to be searching for; things we should begin pondering include.

Who our characters are going to be? Some have already made a few ideas on who they would like to be, but we could get more of the story in line and then see how different people could fit in. Its up to you guys as well. If you would like to come up with characters first and fit them in or come up with the story first and then create characters to fit. I'm up for either.

How will the journey begin? I will already rule out King Elessar sending out a bulletin to everyone in Minas Tirith that he is looking for a search party to find the lost Elendilimer...it isn't likely. So we should begin brainstorming on whether one of our characters takes an interest in it and approachs the King about it...looking for payment and/or support for the quest. Or whatever...we could weave a lot into this one aspect. Hold nothing back folks this is a team effort Any ideas are welcome!!

and for a more detailed question: Just how far into the Fourth Age will we make this? Would it be in the beginning? I'm not sure what the encyclopedia says, maybe it specifys and I missed it, but if it didn't we should decide whether it will be right after the WoTR or will King Aragorn and Queen Arwen have already ruled awhile and their son is quite grown up. This one question could affect a lot.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: December 13, 2006 08:04
I know you said that Aragorn never really took an interest in it, but perhaps Eldarion can after both parents are dead. Not too much is known about what he did (as far as I can tell), and it would be interesting to develop his character). This way, then we really don't have to worry about dealing with conflicts as much about Eldarion's reign is unknown.

As for characters, I think a new one is in order for me because my others are in at least two, and it would be neat to experiment more.

These are my thoughts for now, but maybe another storm will take my mind by surprise!
Hainima
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2006 11:13
Aragorn did recover the Elendilmir from Isengard and wore it, but only on special occasions. I don't think HOME specifes how long into his reign this was. Are you thinking perhaps Eldarion could lead the search?

I think the idea of volunteers suggesting a quest to find the Elendilmir is a good one. Perhaps a small party from amongst the Dunedain of the north? It could include an elf (if anybody wants to take the role of an elf) and a woman from Rohan .
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2006 08:42
I like the idea of Eldarion having something to do with the search. Maybe it could be during the time where is really trying to show his father how he can lead.

We should choose those who would be part of the quest for ways they would be needed. My character Ivi could fit into the mix, simply because she has the skills of a healer, which could be valuable on a journey. However, that would mean we would have to work around the fact that The House of Healing is really the only places healers work.

I like Hainima's idea of having the Dunedain involved and only one elf.

Anyways, I will go ahead and throw out that if needed you can play more than one character. Seeing as most who are a part of this know the best way to go about things I will say you can have more than one, if we need it.

I was thinking to have some evil element we could make the quest require the help of the enemy in order to find what we are looking for. I don't know...keep brainstorming folks
Hainima
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2006 12:52
I dug out the chapter in Unfinished Tales. It seems Aragorn looked through Isengard early in his reign; it was one of the first things he did. They eventually found the Elendilmir, with help from Gimli.

The question is, do we make this quest early in Aragorn's reign? Secondly, do we include Gimli? We'd have to lose Eldarion, unless we make the discovery of the Elendilmir much later than the initial clearing of Isengard.

What do people think?

I've come up with a character outline for a history student. If we're going ahead and there's a place for a somebody with a bag of scrolls then I'll add him to the database.

[Edited on 18/12/2006 by Hainima]
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: December 19, 2006 08:00
The ideas sound great...if we have to lose Eldarion, then that is all right, but if we include Gimli, who would play him, or would he be a neutral character? I still like the idea with Eldarion; he could go as a coming-of-age type of event.

The seeking help of the enemy could go over well (maybe someone playing an evil charrie, then?)

I do have my character in the database under the name Llweryn. Hope this will work for the thread.

[Edited on 12/21/2006 by Dinenlasse]
Hainima
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2006 02:07
I've added a character called Caradan to the database. He's a student of history and lore. I'll fill out the description as he, and the story, develop.

Does anybody want to play Eldarion or Gimli?
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2006 05:47
Sorry you guys it has been awhile...holidays and a bit under the weather. I haven't gotten to read your profiles yet but I will get to it as soon as I can.

I will go ahead and play the evil charrie and my own character, which one that will be I'm not quite sure yet. I will have profiles done here pretty soon, maybe sometime next week if I can. Since I will be playing two already I will let ya'll decide whether one of you would like to play eldarion or gimli, or just keep them universal characters that all could play as in certain situations.

Also for the slow posting in shieldmaiden din...again, I've been pretty tangled lately.
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2006 08:20
Here is a little bit on the age that we will be playing in. I figured after I read this that some of it should be posted so that we are all on the right page. That way our characters are living in the same mind-set.

The Fourth Age

After the departure of Elrond, the Fourth Age began. Aragorn reclaimed all the lands of Gondor and Arnor as they had been at the greatest extent (excluding only Rohan) and formed the Reunited Kingdom. Within the borders of the realm were several peoples who were considered part of the kingdom, yet were allowed complete self-govrnance: the Hobbits of the Shire, the "Wild Men" of Druadan Forest, the Ents at Isengard, Gimli's Dwarves of the Glittering Caves, and the Elves from Greenwood with Legolas and Ithilien. The Shire and the Forest of Druadan were even forbidden entry by any folk other than their own. Nurn was given to the slaves of Mordor, and peace was made with the Haradrim and the Easterlings.

North of the Reunited Kingdom, Mirkwood had been freed. Thranduil added the lands north of the Mountains to his kingdom, and the middle portion was given to the Beornings and the Woodmen. Celeborn claimed the section sourth of The Narrow, calling it "east Lorien," but after Celeborn's departure "in Lorien there lingered sadly only a few of its former people."

---this was taken from "The Atlas of Middle-Earth" by Karen Wynn Fonstad.

Your character Llweryn is great, Din! After reading this if she needs any revising to fit the bill (The Fourth Age) then she will be perfect.

Same goes for your charcter, Hainima. I really like the fact that your characters truly have character to them...their own personalities an what not. Not the norm you usually see.

Knowing your two characters, I can better figure out what is needed to fill in the gaps with the other characters. I'm kinda iffy on the bad character right now, simply because I want to know more of what we come up with before creating one.

So, I'm currently creating a character to add to our quest and soon we should be beginning. (finally )
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: December 26, 2006 12:51
I will definitely be ready to post in the new year...I don't have that much access to the net at home, and so I will post as much as I can here and possibly later this week.

As for posting for the charries, if we deem it necessary, I can play one (though which one remains to be seen).
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2007 08:27
Alright...I have been doing some major brainstorming for some really good characters to add to the mix. I really wanted to go for something that would make this completely original, so trying to stick with the books, I've come up with two characters whose profiles will be added pretty soon.

I will keep Ivieria but I will be doing some major overhauling with her, I'm even changing her race.

Since we were adding different personalities I wanted to keep from having similar characters. Hainima has the scholar, which I thought was a great idea and Din you have the Ranger type character. An then of course we have decided Gimli an Eldarion would be a part. Gimli being the more warrior type an Eldarion, being the young leader.

So instead of adding similar ones, I will be adding Ivieria as more of a mystical touch to the group for the quest and then I will be adding a rather reckless rogue, who will probably cause the troupe must trouble.

As I said before, once I create their appearances I will have them posted soon.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was thinking we could kinda make Eldarion the leader, as was mentioned before. Therefore, we could make him a neutral character that way we really wouldn't have someone literally in charge of the quest, pretty much everyone will have a say.

Same goes for Gimli.

What say you folks?
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: January 03, 2007 05:34
Sounds perfect, Iri! The mix of characters is good...the neutralilty of the Eldarion would be good so we could all use him (unless there are other ideas out there).
Hainima
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2007 12:36
Sounds good. I think it'll be good to keep Eldarion and Gimli as neutral.

Are we nearly ready to start?
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2007 04:46
:: cracks knuckles ::

I'm posting the profiles tonight and I will begin with coming up with the first post. A lot of history and what not will have to be implimented into the first post and what not so it will be slightly long, but shouldn't take me long.

A job for the two of you is to come up with a better title then Darkest before the Dawn. Put in your suggestion and vote, I'm up for anything and will change it, once you have agreed.

Also, I'm not coming up with a new thread, simply altering the one that was orignally created...so I doubt it will pop up as a new thread with all the others, so keep checking back to it.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: January 05, 2007 07:56
You can edit the actual post and change the title; I've done that before. As for the title itself, I will let you know when I come up with something suitable.

Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email