Register

Author Topic:
elvenprincessofmirkwood
Council Member
Send Message
Post *Poll* Haldir's death
on: December 24, 2002 12:37
When Haldir died how did you react?

(Edited for spelling of character's name. Sorry just couldn't take it.)

[Edited on 12/25/2002 by BelleBayard]
You cryed...he was so cute
53% (1)
you laughed...next time watch your back!
5% (1)
You just sat there and watched it
42% (1)
You don't know you were using the bathroom
0% (1)
You didn't see it
0% (1)
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Post RE: *Poll* Haldir's death
on: December 24, 2002 02:27
Even though I knew it was coming from all the spoilers I indulge in, I felt awful when I saw it happen. Bad enough they had to bring Elves in where only Legolas had been, but then to kill off the March warden of Lorien! Ai! :cry: Not fair! Okay, that said... The actor's facial expressions alone were enough to make me weep as he looked at his dead companions and friends and realized his immortal life had ended.
pipsqueak
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 24, 2002 02:59
Yeah...he looked at them and they didn't look like elves anymore...sorta reminds one of the dead marshes, in a way.
PervyOrcFancier
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 24, 2002 03:05
I laughed when Haldir died, it was so amusing, I love watching elves die.. they make it so dramatic, its all so silly me..
elvenprincessofmirkwood
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 24, 2002 04:11
Well if you ask me and no one has I think Haldar was like super cute. When he died it was so dramatic. Stupied orcs! Why him! Why not take Gilmi!
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: December 24, 2002 04:14
I liked Haldir a lot... but I had been forewarned it was coming, so I really tried not to watch it very much. I was really hurting for him, though... anyway, and trying not to get emotional about it. The scene where the Elvish forces showed up to fight was great... so his death was a counterpoint to that, I guess... but I sure wish they hadn't done that... :cry: :cry: :cry:

There are a lot of things to like about Haldir (or the other actors/actressses) besides that they're just 'cute'... I would feel I was just eating the frosting and not even tasting the cake, if I felt that way. There is sooo much more to the movies, books and actors than that!

[Edited on 12/25/2002 by Elerrina]
Lady-Arwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 24, 2002 04:52
I didn't cry because I have never cried over movies (not that I haven't gotten close) but I was very depressed. I don't think the scene would have struck me so hard if it wasn't for the fact that they switched from Haldir dying to Aragorn desperately trying to get to him and in the end he was too late.

It was just so sad!! *sniff*
BoromirsBabe
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 24, 2002 08:14

There are a lot of things to like about Haldir (or the other actors/actressses) besides that they're just 'cute'... I would feel I was just eating the frosting and not even tasting the cake, if I felt that way. There is sooo much more to the movies, books and actors than that!

[Edited on 12/25/2002 by Elerrina]

That's how I feel about it! You are so right, Elerrina.

sobs in dark corner all alone* :cry: H-h-haaaldir....:cry:
Elbereth_Jones
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 25, 2002 06:23
I just sat and watched it. It was one of the saddest points in the movie but I couldn't really get that deeply into anything the first time I saw TTT. I was just trying to take it all in and was too stunned to even react. But I was very and . Maybe next time I see it I'll be like really :cry: - I sometimes have this delayed reaction kind of thing.

Edt: OK well I knew it was coming so I wasn't all that but you know what I mean.

[Edited on 25/12/2002 by Elbereth_Jones]
Arwen_of_Rivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2002 05:41
he looked at them and they didn't look like elves anymore

pipsqueak, are you sure that they were elves? i think that they were men and orcs... that's what made me cry... the fact that a member of the most beautiful of the races of middle earth (in my opinion, anyway), immortal and wise, was dying among mere men and dirty, shameful orcs. and worst of all, when he dies, there doesn't seem to be much hope for victory, so he's probably thinking that his death is in vain. :cry:
Anorwen_HA
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2002 09:46
i sat there. i didn't cry (not much of a crier at movies) but the way they showed his death was indeed something to look at, the way everything blurred...man, did he have to die?
SadisticYoda
Danger to Mankind
Send Message
on: December 26, 2002 10:01
I just sat there and watch him die. Its really stupid that he was in the film to begin with, let alone kill him.

When he died it was so dramatic. Stupied orcs! Why him! Why not take Gilmi!

First off, it was a bit dramatic. Second, Gimli is one of the only reasons people would laugh in the film (Gollum too) and he simply cannot die, he is way to important to the plot. You can kill someone unimportant (Haldir) but not someone essentail to the plot.(Gimli) This is why we will never see Legolas die. (although I'd kill to see it happen)
KingofMark
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2002 01:11
I really didn't mind Haldir dying, I actually think he deserved it to some degree. After all, he shows up at Helm's Deep, practically saying to the Rohirrim "Hey, your bowmen sucks, but we will save the day here". So I don't really mind him dying (*dodges all the tomatoes thrown at me*)
~Witch_Queen_of_Angmar~
Queen of the Dark Nine
Send Message
on: December 26, 2002 01:36
well, all his bow-men *did* suck to a sertain point, so... And they sertanly would have lost the battle if the Elves hadn't showed up.
Arwen_The_Elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2002 07:33
i cried so hard it's not even funny. He was mine though....
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

It's all so Depressing!!!!!! Ok, my disapointment's out. Thank you for your time.

[Edited on 27/12/2002 by Arwen_The_Elf]
LadyRanger
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2002 04:03
I knew it was coming, and so I prepared myself, but still it came so suddenly! I was just watching, like I was sitting there, unable to do anything but stare...
I'm surprised I didn't even cry! I think it'll come when I see it next time. That's typical for me. I can watch it one time without crying, but a second time is too much for me.
'T was the same with Gandalf's "dead"

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

*throws tomato at KingofMark*
Okay, but you are right about the "Hey, your bowmen sucks, but we will save the day here" *lol*
KingofMark
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2002 04:08
well, all his bow-men *did* suck to a sertain point, so... And they sertanly would have lost the battle if the Elves hadn't showed up.

The point is, they didn't in the book
PervyOrcFancier
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2002 05:32
dying among mere men and dirty, shameful orcs

shameful? hardly.
I must remind you all, that they were ALL dirty when they fought, and alot of elves and men and orcs did die in that battle, the fact that people only feel sorry for one elf in particular, or one human in a battle of tens of thousands it very distressing.. I felt sorry for everyone in that battle, especially the Uruk-Hai...

[Edited on 27/12/2002 by PervyOrcFancier]
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: December 27, 2002 07:15
well, I was pleased: it's a good thing he died a completely pointless, unheroic death

war, boys and girls, is not a heroic business: it's nasty, it serves no other perpuse than to kill and destroy and everyone is a victim - even the fighting Uruk-hai...

and I like that PJ put a reminder of that in TTT, which is really all about the glory of war, and not about the truth of it
Elbereth_Jones
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2002 08:04
and I like that PJ put a reminder of that in TTT, which is really all about the glory of war, and not about the truth of it

I know I already answered this poll but I just have to comment on Figwit's comment. I actually thought TTT was very good at portraying was as a nasty, painful, tragic thing rather than some other movies that show it as being glorious or whatever. Especially those really sad scenes like of the women and children in Helm's Deep or when you see the very young kids being taken from their parents to fight, it was well very true and showed the pain and horror of war very well. I know some people thought scenes like that were a bit of a waste and they could have put in more stuff from the book and that's fine, but I have to say I disagree.
elrine_rose
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2002 08:37
Why him! Why not take Gilmi!

Gasp! How can you something like that about Gimli!!!! I was sad about Haldir's death as well, but why take it out on poor, adorable Gimli???

(Sorry, I've recently come to adore the Master Dwarf.)
Navalina
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2002 12:01
I haven't seen TTT yet,but I've read a lot of spoilers and when I heard that Haldir dies in TTT,I cried.Serious!I really like him!I can't believe PJ killed him off!:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
Ainulindale
Last Homely Housekeeper
& Gallery Shirriff

Send Message
on: December 27, 2002 10:01
I laughed when Haldir died, it was so amusing, I love watching elves die.. they make it so dramatic, its all so silly me..

Hmmm...you have strange taste.
I like elves!! I didn't want Haldir to die.
However i don't think that elves dying is terriby sad. They go to the Halls of Mandos and have a jolly good time with all their dead elf-friends. Not much difference form Valinor, i'm sure. But they made it sad when Haldir died. It's not fair.
Lady-Arwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 28, 2002 05:12
The fact is: *I* don't get why everything happens to Aragorn's friends?...maybe because he's friends with everybody...hmm....

It was really sad that they killed him, but in the end, they HAD to make an impact somewhere, otherwise you face the whole: Expendable Crewman problem. Where the ONLY people who die are pointless extras and a lot of Orcs and no matter HOW MANY TIMES the Designated Bad Guys try they will NEVER hit a character with a name!!

See in the book, you didn't really know anyone who died, but the battle was a lot shorter, so here they needed to have someone die to impact you with the tradgedy of what they were facing. Yes it is sad, yes, it made a lot of you cry, but in the end I can understand where the motivation lay there.

...oh, and they can't kill Gimli, he's in Return of the King

[Edited on 28/12/2002 by Lady-Arwen]
Navalina
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2002 08:56
No,they can't kill Gimli.*But*,if I could choose who had to die,Gimli or Haldir,I would pick Gimli.
PervyOrcFancier
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2002 09:37
I'd rather see an unimportant character such as haldir, die.. rather than have a member of the fellowship, who does have his moments like Gimli, die. Gimli is far more important than Haldir IMO
Skye
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2002 01:55
NOBODY in the theatre laughed when Haldir died either time I saw TTT. I was surprised that he died and it made me sad. It was just as hard to watch the second time, even when I knew it was coming.

Too bad the the elves had to stand in the front lines on the wall, so many died...
pipsqueak
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 28, 2002 02:00
he looked at them and they didn't look like elves anymore

pipsqueak, are you sure that they were elves? i think that they were men and orcs... that's what made me cry... the fact that a member of the most beautiful of the races of middle earth (in my opinion, anyway), immortal and wise, was dying among mere men and dirty, shameful orcs. and worst of all, when he dies, there doesn't seem to be much hope for victory, so he's probably thinking that his death is in vain. :cry:

yes, elves...they had the armor and the black hair, not like the men. He just seems shocked...like he can't believe he's dead...and then he dies.
PervyOrcFancier
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2002 06:44
NOBODY in the theatre laughed when Haldir died either time I saw TTT

I guess you wouldn't be pleased to the fact that when I first saw TTT, at the very scene when Haldir was hacked in the back and almost fell forward, I let out a heartfilled: "HAH!!!"
but yes, now that I do watch TTT over and over again at the theatres, I realize how sorrowful and desperate he must feel..

[Edited on 29/12/2002 by PervyOrcFancier]
~Witch_Queen_of_Angmar~
Queen of the Dark Nine
Send Message
on: December 28, 2002 07:26
Is it only me or is this turning into a discussion between those who like the (goodlooking) Elf and those who don't?
Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: December 28, 2002 11:34
I nearly screamed NOOOOOOOOO! I did NOT LIKE IT! I did have forewarning but I was hoping that it wasn't going to happen... Though I didn't like it, I do understand why they had to do it.
AerynJade
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2002 11:58
I cried! Not just becuz he was cute but becuz it came as a shock to me. I really felt his loss. but he died fighting against Sauron and he fought bravely.
Elvenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2002 02:05
:cry:The first time I saw the movie,(I've seen it Three times), and I saw Haldir and the other elves come, i was ready to kill Peter Jackson, I knew somthing was up, the way I remember it, the elves didnt come untill the third book. Then when the elves started dieing and were screaming like little girls as the fell off the walls, i was ready to kill ressurect and kill Peter Jackson again. Then, when it finally came, Haldir's death was too much for me. The second and third times I saw the movie, I just hid my head in my arms and prepared myself for what was to come, Aragorn running to him, the orcs comming up from behind him and raising their axeses and then bringing them down onto his back, that was the part of the movie that really stuck in my mind and haunted my dreams. Every time a see it I start saying 'Why him, why did he have to die?' and I start crying.
Seanthi
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2003 02:16
I cried alot...
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

My friend (who is a very dark person) laughed; i smacked her over the head with my newpaper. (and used her t-shirt to dry my tears with.)

Thrist cired...

Just listening to Breath of Life makes me cry now :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

He looked so sad and confused. Like if he was asking why...
pipsqueak
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 01, 2003 03:37
just wondering, but did anyone cry at hama's death?I thought that was very sad as well...
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email