Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Marnalossiel
Council Member
Send Message
Post Room at the Inn. (no new players please)
on: February 11, 2007 11:47
This is my re-post of Room at the Inn. Please PM me if you would like to join in. I'll start. You can view my character here:
here

--------------------
Zuleika rode up to the inn. She was weary and her clothes were travelworn. She opened the creaky door and sat down. The fire was crackling in the corner, and there were very few people inside the inn. The door creaked in the wind, and someone stepped in....

[Edited on 12/2/2007 by Marnalossiel]

[Edited on 12/2/2007 by BerethEdhellen]

[Edited on 30/4/2007 by Marnalossiel]
Eleiel
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Room at the Inn. (no new players please)
on: February 12, 2007 03:45
Erynloth stopped in front of the inn and tried to dismount her horse, but her broken ankle twisted beneath her. She bit back a curse and shifted her weight to her other foot shaking the rain our of her eyes. After a few deep breaths she attempted to take another step. Her foot gave way and she fell flat on her face in the mud, a sob fought to get out of her throat. Rohryn pressed his nose into her cheek. Erynloth put her arm around the horse’s neck and with their combined strength she struggled to her feet. They made their way to the door she pushed it open and all but fell into the warm room.
Marnalossiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 12, 2007 04:49
Zuleika looked up from her feet. She could see the inn door swinging. She climbed over, and saw Erynloth in pain on the damp wooden floor.
"My dear, mellon nin, are you alright?" Zuleika asked, pulling Erynloth to her feet. "Come, sit with me, for i am in need of some company."
Eleiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 12, 2007 10:51
Erynloth heard the kind words and felt strong hand help her up and guide her to a chair.

"Thank you, Mellon." She said through clenched teeth. She bent down to examine her ankle, "Do you know if the proprietor has any ice and bandages?"

ooc. should our charachters have met before, Marnalossiel, like when they were children?
Oh and it would probably be a good idea to start a ooc thread. So we arenot talking like this all the time. lol
Marnalossiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 12, 2007 10:38
OOC- Eleiel, I have posted an OOc thread with the answer to your question.

"I thould think so." Zuleika walked over to the bar area. Erynloth saw the barmaid hand some bandages over. Zuleika returned to the table.
"What happened to you then, mellon nin?" she asked as she bound the bandages about Erynloth's ankle.
Eleiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2007 06:33
Erynloth tried to rub some of the dirt off her face with her sleeve, but it just spread it around. The other elf maiden shook her head and knelt down wrapped the injured ankle.

"Hannad le.” Erynloth whispered. “I was riding a newly broken stallion; he shied at something and threw me. Before I could rise the barbarous men appeared and demanded a toll, or some such nonsense. I had no money or anything of value except my knives, which were strapped to the saddle. So they took those.” Erynloth winced, from the pain in her ankle as well as the humiliation over her weapons being taken away. She clutched the pendant around her neck, “They tried to take some other things, I fended them off; but they broke my ankle.” Suddenly she became aware of the people crowing around her. Belatedly Erynloth realized it might not have been very wise to speak in the common tongue.

“Those, bloody bushwhackers!” the inn keeper growled, “They have been praying on travelers and merchants that come this way! No body has been killed yet, but I believe it will be only a matter of time.”
Marnalossiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2007 06:40
"Indeed" Zuleika said to the inkeeper. "I have seen some on my way. They come from all over, just to earn some extra money. They had no reason to talk to me, for i carry nothing of value"
She smiled at Erynloth, who was biting her lip as her leg was bandaged.
"Do you have any hot water?" Zuleika asked the innkeeper. "For my friend and I are in need of a decent wash after our travels."
The innkeeper dissappeared for a moment and Zuleika finished bandaging her friend's ankle.
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2007 01:25
((hi guys. sorry i haven't had the time to post before, but here goes nothing ... hope it's okay.))

Moments later the innkeeper returned from the kitchen with a bowl of hot water. He handed the bowl over to one of the barmaids, who carried it carefully to where the women were sitting, and placed it on the table without spilling a drop.

"He is right, you know," the girl said, nodding towards the innkeeper. "Last week, a horse came into town dragging a small boy by the ankle. Poor thing was beaten half to death, and did not wake up for days." While speaking, the girl had swiftly wiped the table next to them, and now held several empty mugs. "And when he first did," she continued, "he jumped up, took his horse and fled across the fields as if the whips of Death itself were behind him."
Marnalossiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2007 01:51
((You are very welcome to join Sana. Thanks))

Zuleika let a gasp pass her lips.
"That's horrible." she said. "These people are scum. They have no place in our realm. She looked at the barmaid. "I assume you have not been a victim to one of these attacks, as my friend Erynloth has?" She signalled to Erynloth's ankle.
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2007 03:40
"No, fortunately not. I arrived here some time ago, with others and in haste. But whether the Men doing this were there already, I am afraid I cannot tell you for sure." The barmaid wrinkled her forehead as if she was remembering something. "What I do recall, is a sudden feeling of being watched, and maybe even followed, for several miles before we reached town." She shrugged her shoulders. "How ever, we did not see anyone so it might be mere imagination."

With those words the girl set for the kitchen, picking up several empty mugs and plates on her way. Before the door had time to close behind her, she was out again, walking back to the others.

"Please forgive me, I seem to have forgot my manners," she said stretching out a dirty hand, "I am Reya."

[Edited on 16/2/2007 by Sana]
Marnalossiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2007 03:55
Zuleika shook the maid's grubby hand. "Zuleika, at your service, mellon nin."
She could see by the maid's face, that she was curious.
"I have not been a victim of these attacks either. I have seen some brutal things in my life, but this is one of the worst. Only yesterday, a young girl set out from Imladris alongside me. She returned on foot, with no clothes, and cuts along her face. These are brutal men. If I find one.."
Her fists clenched below the table.
Eleiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2007 05:49
Erynloth listened with a growing dread. These verminwould effectively bottle up this town, if that is what they wished. She looked at her Elvin companion and the maid Reya. Zuleika unfinished threat stirred her numbed thoughts

Erynloth rose to her feet, "It shall bode more ill for more than one of those scum!" she exclaimed heatedly.Then she swayed and clutched the edge of the table. Pain lance through her ankle. Erynloth smiled wryly, "Perhaps we should wait till the morning though; if you would like to accompany me in searching out these miscreants."
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2007 06:40
Reya raised a brow in wonder at the injured Elf's courage. "Perhaps," the girl said walking over to the desk, "you should give that foot of yours some rest." She opened the book and turned to the last page that was filled out, letting her eyes sweep hasty over it.

"I've got... two rooms awaliable, right next to each other. I'll also send someone to fill a tub for each of you, as you may be in need of a nice, hot bath after your journeys," the girl said as her gaze reached bottom. "Does this arrangement soothe you?" She put the book in place, and looked up awaiting answer.

[Edited on 18/2/2007 by Sana]
Marnalossiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2007 12:27
"I will take it." Zuleika nodded, her eyes fixed on Erynolth's ankle. "I suggest you let me carry you, mellon nin." She said to Erynolth. "You couldn't walk earlier, and i would hate to see you in pain."
She took her cloak from the seat next to Erynloth, and draped it over her own shoulders, fastening it with a silver wrought brooch. She held out her hand to Erynolth, and waited for her to take it.
Eleiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2007 12:07
For a second Erynloth hesitated; though she was freindly she disliked being touched by people she was not know well. But her ankle throbbed and she doubted that she could take meny steps, let alone go up the staires. Erynltoh took Zuleika's hand, "Thank you." she said simply.

Erynloth paused and tunred to Reya, "A hot bath would be lovely."
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2007 01:44
Nodding slightly, Reya gestured for the two Elfs to follow her. She grabbed a set of keys from the wall, and walked slowly across the room. Reaching the fireplace in the corner, the girl turned to the left and pushed at the wooden door. It opened with a squeaking noise, revealing a hallway with windows on one side, and doors on the other.

"These are the first floor rooms," the girl explained. "They are a bit smaller than those on second, but I didn't want to have you climbing stairs with that ankle." Sending a smile to Erynloth, Reya's pale eyes darkened in concerne. "If you'll allow it, m'lady," she began, "I may send word for Getherda. She is familiar with the art of healing, and could take a look at that ankle for you."
Eleiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2007 07:11
Erynloth smiled at the young woman's concern and consideration.

"I have some experience with healing also, but it never hurts to have a second opinion. Besides I forgot to pack anything for this sort of emergency." Reya nodded and Erynloth bent down to take off her other boot. When she wrenched it off a small knife fell to the floor. Disgusted, Erynloth picked it up; she had forgotten that it was there and she could have used it to defend herself from the bandits.

Erynloth sighed and looked up and Zuleika, "I hope I have not spoken rashly, mellon, in saying that I will make the bandits pay."

[Edited on 20/2/2007 by Eleiel]
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2007 02:40
((just for the record, reya's en elf too. you can find her profile here. but it's good that the others think she's human cuz it that's the way i was gonna play it anyway. so, well, yeah ))

Nodding, Reya walked on without giving attention to Erynloth's blade. The broken ankle was enough in itself, she reckoned, and judgmental looks from her side would be neither welcome nor helping.

As she reached the end of the hallway, the girl pulled out a set of keys. Without giving them a second glance she pulled forth one of the keys, and used it to unlock the nearest door. Then, she pulled forth another walking over to the next door, and unlocked it as well. Putting the keys back into the pocket of her apron, Reya leaned backwards onto the wall, waiting for the others to catch up.
Marnalossiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2007 06:30
((OOC-Zuleika doesnt know Reya is an Elf))

Zuleika dropped Erynolth onto the bed.
"If that is all, mellon, I will leave you until the morning." Zuleika smiled sympathetically, and left the room. She sighed and retired to her own room. She could her Erynolth and Reya talking in the other room, but she did not listen. As she lay upon her bed, she wondered is she could truly trust Reya. Reya was human, and did not share the worries that Zuleika felt, running through her mind...
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2007 08:40
After Zuleika closed the door to her room, Reya entered Erynloth's carefully. "I will call for Getherda, and send someone to fill your tub," she said pointing at the bathing tub in front of the fireplace. "If you need assistance in any form before our return," the girl gestured towards Erynloth's ankle, "simply ring the bell hanging above your bed. A maiden will come and help you." Without awaiting answer, the girl walked out of the room, knocking on Zuleikas door.

No answer came, but Reya decided to open up any way. Zuleika was lying on the bed, maybe sleeping. Seeing this, the girl decided not to bother her, and left the room, setting off to find the medicine woman.
Eleiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2007 07:10
Erynloth sat on the bed, toying with the knife she had fund in her boot while waiting for Getherda, the healer. Absent mindedly she tested the blade in the palm of her hand. A thin hair line of blood appeared. She smiled in grim satisfaction. In her warrior-like mind she was thinking up schemes to flush the marauders out to a place where they could be captured. The hair line of blood on her widened and a scarlet drop fell on the pillow. With a guiltily start Erynloth wiped the blade and put it under her pillow.

A knock sounded on the door and the healer entered, speaking cheerily, "Well now, madam, let me have look at your ankle!."
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2007 02:25
Getherda was, in spite of her old years and many wrinkles, still pretty fair of face, with dark brown hair that had only recently gained a few grays. She was wearing an old, dark blue dress that brought out her eyes of the same color. Walking slowly towards the bed Erynloth lay on, she placed her bowl of hot water on the nearby table. Pulling out some pieces of cloth and bandage, she began her work on the girl's ankle.

Carefully removing the old bandage, the healer wiped the ankle with a clean cloth, removing any mud or dirt from it, before she began her work. "This may heart you, deary'," she spoke to the girl, "but please try to restrain yourself. We wouldn't want to wake the rest of the guests, would we?"

Placing both hands on Erynloths foot, Getherda pulled at it hard, and then broke it back on it's place. Leaving the girl to her pain, the healer rose and, poured hot water into a cup. She them extracted some dried herbs form the pocket of her apron, and added them to the water.

"You are of Elven kind, I see. A quick healer," the woman said, giving the cup to Erynloth. "Drink this, and all will better in the morning." With a genuine smile, she stroke the girl's head in a motherly way. "Now rest, child." And with those words, she was gone.

Moments later, a couple of maidens entered the room, carrying buckets of hot water, and started pouring them into the tub. One of them sat down by the fire place, and began working on starting a fire. After several trips for more water, the tub was finally filled, and the maidens left the room.
Eleiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2007 04:49
Erynloth smiled at the mother healer and force down the bitter poppy tea. she handed the cup back, "Thank you madam. I would not have been able to do that on my own."

"Now rest, child." And with those words, she was gone.

Suddenly a wave of exhaustion swept over her. she smiled slightly; there must have been some sleeping herbs mixed in with the poppy. There would be no more formulating of plans to night.

Some young girls entered the room and started filling the bath. Erynloth's thoughts turned to Zuleika, she had never thanked her for caring for her; a filthy stranger. Her swiftness to help showed a generosity that was uncommon, at least in Mirkwood.

She nodded to the maidens as the last pitcher of steaming water was poured into the bath. Then Erynloth turned her attention to the difficult task of taking a bath while keeping her wrapped foot out of the water.

[Edited on 25/2/2007 by Eleiel]
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2007 05:01
After leaving Erynloth's room, the maidens carefully let themselves into Zuleika's. Without saying a word, they filled her tub in the same manner as Erynloth's, leaving behind towels and a nice, warm fire.

- - -

Meanwhile, Reya was getting ready for sleep in the servant's quarters on third floor. She had just taken a hot bath, and was brushing her brown curls with a comb. It annoyed her, actually, that her hair tended to be curly when wet, before turning wavy as it dried. She could have given anything for the beautiful, silky hair of the Elven kind.

The girl put the brush back into place, and began plaiting her hair. Meeting her own gaze in the mirror, she realized that she looked tired. With one last glance at the fire in the fireplace, Reya blew out the candles and went to bed - preparing for the adventures of the day yet to come.

[Edited on 25/2/2007 by Sana]
Marnalossiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2007 04:17
Zuleika got into the bath. She had not bathed since she left Imladris. She silently wondered how things were back there. She remembered her childhood, and all the horrible events that followed. A tear fell down her cheek, and into the hot water below. She got up, and wrapped herself in the towel. She moved towards the door, and opened it.
"Reya? Erynloth?"
There was no reply. They were probably all in bed. Zuleika heaved a sigh and returned to her room. She would speak to them tomorrow.
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: March 07, 2007 04:50
The dark of night had long fallen and held the town in stillness when heavy footsteps brought Hallath to the inn. Finding the door locked, he slammed his gaunletted forarm against the barrier until the innkeeper saw fit to pay attention to his entreaties.

"I trust I didn't disturb you," Hallath spat rather coldly to the man, tossing him a few coins. "I'll be fine staying in your common room," he assured the wary innkeeper, "I'll be less trouble if you don't have a problem with that."

With slight amusement, the young man noted the consternation he had caused the innkeeper, but felt at the same indifferently towards this. He wasn't exactly the evil threat he came across as in his weather stained garb, cloaked and armed; but neither was he entirely benign. Instinct guided his hand to the elegant, yet savage looking dirk that he carried.

Through dark, unemotional eyes, he surveyed the deserted common room and its dying fire. Putting another log onto the feeble embers, he revived their glow, then pulled over a chair from one of the tables. Content in the shadow, just beyond the flicker, he laid back to rest, but not to sleep.

((I hope this post is okay... If not, let me know.))
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2007 03:28
((nice post, hobbit ))

Reya awoke with a jump. Something was happening, noises coming from downstairs. Didn't the Innkeeper keep the door locked at night? The girl was confused. Maybe it was the bandits breaking in to steal what little money the Rusty Gate had left!

Without wasting another second, the girl jumped out of bed, pulled on a cloak over her nightgown, and slipped her feet into the boots standing by the door. She picked up a candlestick from the window, took out the candle, and slowly opened the door. Walking as silent as she could through the hallway, the girl sharpened all her senses, listening to the room below.

There was someone down there, she was sure of it. Her grip around the candlestick tightened. From where she was standing, she could see a man tending the fire. This was not a burglar. The girl let out a relieved sigh.

"Excuse me, good lord," she spoke up, walking down the stairs. "Would you not rather have a room for the night, then the comfort of the wooden benches?" Putting down the candlestick on the closest table, she leaned her back against the bar, crossing her arms across her chest.
Eleiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2007 04:30
(Very nice Shirehobbit!)

Erynloth woke in the middle of the night to some one bainging on the door ofthe inn. Automaticly she tensed and reached for where her knives should have been. Belatedly she remebered being stopped on the road by theives and her weapons subsuquent loss.

She lay back and tried to relax, the low voices of the inn keeper and the door-banger distracted her, but they soon quieted. The rain had stopped, the blackness was inky and impenatrable. Pain from her ankle made her restless.

After a while she got up and put her cloak on, then as carefully as she could she pulled on her boots. Erynloth opened the door and limped through the hall and into the main room. A dieing fire cast waivering shadows on the wall and did nothing to lift the gloom. sshe tossed her golned braid over her shoulder and headed for the door, intent upon seeing her horse. She was almost to the door when she heard a slight sound. shirling around she again felt for her knives and whispered, "Show your self!"
Marnalossiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2007 06:05
Zuleika was just closing the door, when she heard movement below.
"Show your self!"

She grabbed her sword, and ran to follow the voices. Surely the bandits did not plan to attack again??
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: March 08, 2007 05:36
Hallath raised his eyes to Reya's approach. "No," he said, with a slight smile to his voice, although his face was still hidden under the shadow cast by the hood of his cloak. "I am quite comfortable here."

While he spoke, slowly and deliberately, he ran his sea-grey eyes up and down Reya. The authority she carried herself with was amusing but now he left her in the quandary to press her opinion or leave him alone. A hardness to his tone had hinted that he would prefer she chose the latter; he was far from the talkative type and had hoped to have the evening to his solitude.

Folding his arms, Hallath waited with seeming infinite patience. Some distance away, he could hear the movements of other visitors to the inn and cursed under his breath.
Marnalossiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 09, 2007 05:59
Zuleika ran, almost falling, down the stairs, and saw Reya with Hallath. She looked to them both, thier arms folded, and both as patient as each other.
"Reya, who is this kind sir?" Zuleika asked, daring not to take her eyes from Hallath.
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: March 10, 2007 06:37
((OOC: I believe that we are currently in Bree and the roads 'patrolled' are the various paths in the vicinity, but I'm not the author of this roleplay.))

"Reya, who is this kind sir?" Zuleika asked, daring not to take her eyes from Hallath.

"Neither kind nor one deserving of 'sir', missy," Hallath said coarsely, "But if your curiosity persists a name, 'Hallath' will suffice. Let it burn its way into your mind with all other facts unusefull to life."

He pushed the hood of his black cloak back idly, revealing the face of a young man about nineteen. Hard grey eyes and dark framing hair made him closely resemble the tramp that he was; a traveler without home, friends, or want of either. Lazily, he prodded the fire with an iron tong that leaned against the stonework.

Outside the rain pattered, muddying the streets of Bree. Tomorrow they would be churned by the feet of the grey town's inhabitants. His boot's prints would be leading away, likely as not. But morning would decide; to make plans sooner would be rash. Roads led in many different directions from this lurking cross roads of a town.
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2007 07:16
Standing silently by the bar, the girl studied Hallath's features. In spite of his worn and somewhat tired look, he didn't seem older than twenty of the years of Men. Reya found herself wondering about who he was, and where he had come from. Was he going to stay a while? Or leave before the break of dawn, like everyone else with a story to tell? And if he left, where was he going?

A strange mood fell over the group, a silence in which only the creaking of the fire was heard. The barmaid was the first to speak. "Then I ask of your forgiveness for disturbing you at this hour." With a short bow she picked up the candlestick. "If you are in need of a hot bath or a decent meal, let the maidens know, and they will arrange it." She gestured towards the bell hanging over the bar. "You simply ring this, and someone will come."
Marnalossiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2007 05:57
"Indeed." Zuleika smiled to Hallath. She took Reya to one side.
"I do not trust this one, mellon nin." she murmured, and stepped away, heading up the stairs.
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2007 12:22
Throwing a last glance at the stranger by the fireplace, Reya hurried to follow Zuleika up the stairs. "As much as my mind agrees with you," she spoke, "my heart tells me that we should not let the shadows of the night be the judges in this matter. I suggest we wait until morning before deciding in who's hands to lay our trust. In the meantime, I am getting some sleep. Sleep well, mellon nin."

The girl gave the Elf a quick hug, and with a yawn, continued up the stairs to the servant's floor.

[Edited on 13/3/2007 by Sana]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email