The Best Laid Plans

-^-

"The best laid plans of mice and men
Go oft awry
And leave us naught but grief an pain
For promised joy."

-Robert Burns

-^-

Somewhere close by a bird burst forth from the underbrush, startled by the stranger that had managed to pierce the borders of its safe home in such silence. Teveldin Narthaelion watched it fly upwards to vanish almost wistfully, envying the winged creature its easy escape. Usually, the restless elf did not mind the long, lonely weeks of travel through the unwelcoming mountain reaches, nor the common hardships forced upon him by his surroundings, including the bitter cold and meager rations. All of this he was used to, for it had been his most familiar home for years immemorial. It was nearly a part of him, he knew it so well.

Nay, he sighed today not out of bitterness at his lot, but at the peculiarity of it. His destination far below was Rivendell, that the elves called Imladris, home to Lord Elrond Peredhel and his sons. Teveldin had not set foot in the place nor in any other elven realm for nigh on a decade, and his impulsive urge to travel there now confused even his own mind. Then again, the decision might have been more instinctive than impulsive, for he had certainly had time to change his mind and turn back in the long trek across the mountains.

From the slopes of Gondor's mountains, where he had ridden with the rangers in their unceasing search for the minions of evil, he had traveled the plains of Rohan, the banks of the Anduin, trekked across the Wold, and had even breached the dark eaves of Mirkwood, once his home, in his haste to reach the elven sanctuary of Imladris. What drove him he could not say; what nameless urge he could not have pinned down. He felt merely that there was an ill breath adrift upon the wind, and his keen intuition had served him too well in the past to be wholly discounted now.

The wood elf's soft leather boots bore him at last to the crest of the mountain peak, and he looked out across the dozens more waiting to be traversed. The softly trickling stream that had been a steady friend at his left hand for the past week had dwindled away into nothing, leaving the rocky slope below to its dusty way.

With little else to do than continue on, Teveldin began the slow climb downwards. Overhead, the sun began to set.

-^-

Meanwhile, in Rivendell...

-^-

The sun's slow descent had reached, at last, its apogee, and even as the dark eyes of Lord Elrond Perdehel watched, it blinked out of sight behind the mountains. He had not moved at all in nearly an hour, though those who knew him best were not overly concerned by this. When the elven lord sunk into deep thought, they knew to leave him undisturbed, and today of all days, Elrond needed thought. His eyes shifted from the vanished sun to the table close at hand, where sat the elegantly folded parchment and broken seal of the missive that had arrived late that afternoon from LothLorien. The information contained therein was disturbing enough on its own; the foreboding resting on the elven lord's heart that trouble of a similar kind was not far from Rivendell made for an even greater dilemma.

The urgent letter from the Golden Woods was a warning. So many times had Elrond read and reread its contents that he felt he could almost recite it by heart, and its urgency was not lost on him. The Lord Celeborn and the Lady Galadriel had recently discovered the loss of the precious elven star-jewel kept under heavy guard deep within the borders of Caras Galdhon, and that so rare and precious an item could have been taken so effortlessly by anyone was deeply unsettling. What was to keep the offending thief from slitting the throat of Lord Celeborn or another elven royal while they slept? The thief's infiltration had been flawless; perfect, and the crime had gone unnoticed for hours. Rumor had it that similar disappearances had occurred in Minas Tirith, Mirkwood, and Dol Amroth, though official word had yet to reach Elrond's ears.

Imladris was next. Elrond was almost sure of it. He had alerted the guards and the border patrol and every possible precaution had been taken to protect the Last Homely House from any such attack, but somehow, the elven lord felt that all their efforts were in vain. They dealt with no ordinary thief here, or thieves as the case might prove. And Elrond had a suspicion that he knew precisely what they were after.

Slowly, he glanced down at his hand, turning his fingers so that the nearly-invisible elven ring caught the waning light. Vilya, the sapphire ring of air, one of the three elven rings. It had been passed down to him by Gil-Galad centuries since, and it was the breath, the very pulse of the Valley. Without it, life in Imladris would not be the same, and the elves hidden there for so long would be once more vulnerable to the threats of the outside world. It was the only possible thing that the thief might be coming for, for the elven lord knew of nothing else in the valley that might catch attention. Certainly, there were numerous treasured artifacts of great beauty and worth in the valley, but there was nothing like Vilya. Nothing even close.

Even as a troubled sigh fled Elrond's lips, there was a stirring of air behind him, nearly unheeded in its softness. But Elrond had heard; a warrior long years before he had been a healer. In the space of a breath, he had drawn a long blade free of its sheath beneath the table and spun, prepared for anything--or so he thought. Even as his sword came up sharp against a second strong blade, he came face-to-face with a formless shadow, and a familiar, sickly odor filled his senses. Even as he realized he had been tricked and drugged, a sharp blow struck at the base of his skull and he toppled forward.

The toxic odor of the sleeping gas overcame the elven lord's failing senses, but he still felt it keenly as the cool, throbbing energy of Vilya was removed from its long resting place on his finger. He was helpless to act as, silent as they had come, two dark shadows slipped out of the room. Elrond knew no more.

-^-

(So here's the thread, cheesy name and all! FYI, I am *not* playing Elrond, I just thought it might be helpful for the storyline if we knew a bit of what was going on elsewhere.

This thread takes place several years before the War of the Ring, and obviously, I have fabricated a few elven heirlooms for the sake of the story.

If anyone else is interested in joining us, please run over and take a look at the OOC before you post. Here

[Edited on 25/03/1990 by ~Teveldin~]
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: - The Best Laid Plans - (See OOC)
on: February 22, 2007 04:00
Koilin walked down the great halls of Erebor. He was going to meet with the Dwarven King, he had something important to tell him.
When he came into the great room the Dwarven King looked very grim, very angry. King Dain was his name, and Koilin shivered a little, he had never seen the King so angry, unless during a battle or something of that sort.

Koilin just stood there for a few minutes, waiting for the King to acknowledge that he was even in the room.
Then King Dain's grey eyes locked on Koilin.
"Ah Koilin, you have arrived." King Dain said.
Koilin bowed. "Yes my King, what do you need?" Koilin asked.
King Dain became silent for a few minutes, then continued.
"One of our great treasures has been stolen Koilin, the Dragon Skin." King Dain said.
The Dragon Skin had been made a few years ago, it was mithril mail and it had been covered in many sparkiling jewels.

Koilin was shocked, he was sure that had been well guarded.
"Now Koilin, this is where you come in. I want you to go to Rivendell and tell Lord Elrond about this theif that is wandering around stealing our treasures. I cannot think straight and I'm sure somehow he'll have an answer." King Dain said.
Koilin bowed and walked out. He didn't really want to go to an elven land, he wasn't very fond of elves.

When he came outside he found his brother, Fisil Zirak, and his sister, Merealla, waiting for him outside with supplies and a pony.
"We will miss you little brother." Merealla said as she gave him a hug.
"We hope you find that jewel theif." Fisil Zirak said as he handed him the reins to the pony.
Koilin beamed with pride, this was his first journey alone and he was very excited, although he knew it was going to be very dangerous.

Soon he was off, he had been advised to ride the pony so that he might reach Rivendell faster. Koilin had never been fond of riding ponies, or horses or any animal for that matter.
He had legs and he could walk, why did he have to ride?
But Koilin did as the King asked and mounted the pony, with much difficulty, and was riding towards Rivendell.

(I hope this is alright, I had trouble thinking of a jewel, so I thought mithril would be more important to them.)
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2007 05:15
The birds were chirping about merrirly, the nearby brook was music to his ears. It all was, the trees, the wind...everything. But then again, he was very young, and the young are facinated by everything. But he could still sense trouble. A lingering, nagging, doubt in the back of him mind. But for now Raven was ignoring it.

He had wandered not to far from Rivendell, figuring it would probably be safer were he to stay close. The youthful elf was nothing out of the ordinary, tall and lilth, at 6'2, with shoulder-length brown hair and merry green eyes, he did not look like much.

A small swallow lighted on his head, Tuillin, his closest companion. Raven knew the language of the birds, and though he didn't often talk to them, this one he had befriended. He watched it duck and swoop about, not a care in the world. And though the doubt of evil was still there he payed it little mind that day.

Raven walked and walked, not stopping to see where he was going, soon finding himself far from Rivendell. Where was he? Raven turned about on the spot. He had actually managed to get lost. Oh for the curse of youth. Oh well, if worse came to worse he would ask Tuillin the direction back. But he would explore the area for now. It was new and very interesting.

OOC: Yay, thanks for letting me join)

[Edited on 25/2/2007 by minstral_of_the_dawn]
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2007 12:51
((Here I be...))

Fingers of fire streaked the darkening sky a rich copper-gold, the forbidding crags of the Hithaeglir silhouetted against the sunset. A bitter easterly wind howled through the ravines and over the peaks, whipping back the thick black hair of an ellon who guided a dappled grey gelding over the uneven ground. Despite his being apparently the only living being around, in such inhospitable weather, an onlooker would likely never have given him a second glance. Had they done so, they might have marked dark grey eyes, a lean, faintly underfed look, and a tense, preoccupied expression.

He pulled his cloak closer about his shoulders, for the wind was sharp, even for these parts. Perhaps I should paint myself green, he thought rather more bitterly than was his wont. Halhigil could gladly have dedicated his life to blending in with the background in his native Greenwood. It suited him. Life, it seemed, was unwilling to comply. He had not wanted to go on this journey. And usually, he would have been the very last choice for such a task.

However, circumstances combined with a friend's good but misguided intentions had seen him set out for Imladris, and now he was nearing his destination. He would normally have welcomed the solitude, welcomed the reprieve from certain caustic tongues. But the prospect of having to bear this news eliminated any pleasure he got out of the journey.

At the thought, he winced guiltily and ducked his head against the wind. It was not that he was not concerned by the news, or indeed that there was no reason to choose him. Many days of painstaking investigation and many sleepless nights had yielded results; by lucky chance, it appeared that the necklace had been seen by a contact of a contact of Halhigil's, in a human settlement south of the Glanduin. Halhigil had been in the game far too long to pin many hopes on this; it was as likely as not to be a mistake.

Then again, it had been an accurate description, for Halhigil had seen the necklace once himself. It was indeed a thing of beauty, the entwined leaves of fine-wrought opal and emerald swung on a slender chain of mithril, hard as diamond yet light enough not to burden a graceful neck. That its owner no longer lived made the theft still more bitter. He shook his head. It was sad; it was a great crime, for the necklace was surely beyond price; but most of all, it was worrying that such an audacious theft could occur, and none realise it...

With a sigh, Halhigil tugged gently at his horse's bridle, and increased his pace. He did not trust the ground enough to lead Mithroch over it by night; he would have to find somewhere to stop ere the sun set altogether.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2007 03:51
Koilin sighed as he stopped for the night. A few more days and he would finally be in Rivendell.
"Such a long journey, and I'm going to be visiting elves. I wish the King had not asked this of me." Koilin said, he really didn't like elves very much. He had never had a reason to like them.

Then as he sat there by his fire he heard a sound nearby.
His pony side stepped and seemed nervous for a moment but then calmed down.
Koilin raised his axe and looked into the darkness.
"Come out!" Koilin shouted angrily. Then a rider came forward, he looked to be an elf.
Koilin grumbled slightly, saying a few words in Dwarvish.
"What be you wanting elf?" Koilin asked angrily.
"Maybe you wish to share my fire? I might share with you but first I'll be needing to know your name." Koilin said, he continued to glare at him. He still held his axe high, ready for whatever the elf might do.

(I thought maybe our characters could meet, nelenata, so that we don't have to travel to Imladris alone. If you want me to change I can.)
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 27, 2007 04:01
((We'll work with it! But Halhigil being what he is, he'll need a more heartfelt invitation if he's going to stay. ))

----------------------

"Come out!" Koilin shouted angrily. Then a rider came forward, he looked to be an elf.
Koilin grumbled slightly, saying a few words in Dwarvish.
"What be you wanting elf?" Koilin asked angrily.
"Maybe you wish to share my fire? I might share with you but first I'll be needing to know your name."

Halhigil blinked, a little taken aback. The dwarf must have been sitting very still for the ellon not have heard him, even over the howling wind. He made a mental note to pay more attention to his surroundings; if a dwarf could take him by surprise, then almost anything could. The short being stared at him with something bordering on aggression. His brown beard was shorter than those of the dwarves Halhigil had seen, but that meant little, for Halhigil had very limited experience of Aule's children.

"My name is Halhigil," he replied, his tone neutral but carefully polite. He had no great love for dwarves, or what little he had seen of them, but manners cost nothing. What under the sky is a dwarf doing with a pony? he wondered. He had always heard that they hated the beasts. "I thank you for the offer, but I had no thought to disturb you, Master Dwarf." This was certainly true; barging into someone else's camp was not the sort of thing Halhigil was given to. "My apologies."
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 27, 2007 07:04
Koilin looked at him carefully. "You can stay if you want. I will be out of here by morning anyway." Koilin said, he lowered his axe and sat back down.
He didn't want to speak with the elf but ended up asking him a question anyway. "Where be you heading Elf? I'm on my way to Rivendell." Koilin asked.

(sorry it was so short, I didn't have much time.)
~Teveldin~
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 27, 2007 10:09
Night had fallen swift and deep, but Teveldin did not feel the wish or need to surrender to it. Instead, he pressed on, an animated shadow flitting through the still mountain passes even as the crescent moon lit the way above. In another part of Middle Earth he might have thought the decision to travel through the night distinctly unwise, but his current surroundings were familiar from years long, long ago, and his proximity to Rivendell lessened his chances of running into danger in the form of wild animals.

The hours passed swiftly, in perfect silence, and the elf began his descent into the wide bowl of the hidden valley. He met no-one upon the path, for the hour was indeed late, but he did spy the glowing circle of a campfire close at hand at one point. He took careful steps to avoid this sign of habitation, skirting the campsite and allowing the area a wide berth as he traveled on. Whether the travelers might have proved friend or foe, he cared very little--his path was always a solitary one, and he had no wish to surrender his independent wanderings to the company of others just yet.

As the elf traveled on, he reminded himself that this was a ridiculous notion, for he would doubtless encounter some of the hundreds of elven denizens of the valley before the sun set again. Regardless, he would treasure his peace for as long as he could maintain it.

Several hours more escaped along with the path beneath his feet, while the air slowly began to lighten with the telltale hues of dawn. Teveldin could now espy the twisted spires and elegant domes of the Last Homely House, peeking out from between the trees below, and faint movement here and there suggested that the elves had already begun the activities of the day.

Even so, a strange, heavy stillness seemed to have enveloped the valley as a whole, dimming the glow of the sun-swept hills, weighting the sparkle of the great lake, and muting the roar of the towering falls that poured into it. Even the birds, usually so joyous and lively here, had been silenced, voicing a sorrowful warble or half-hearted melody every now and again, but otherwise remaining still.

The foreboding of the night before, only recently discounted, returned to the wood-elf now with perfect clarity. His visits to this place may have been infrequent in past years, but he still knew instinctively that something was not right. This valley was a peaceful haven; a protected elven sanctuary unrivaled anywhere in Middle Earth. It was the power of Vilya that made this so, wielded for centuries by the Lord Elrond Peredhel, and evil could not pierce it's borders.

So caught up in his amazement at this change upon the valley was Teveldin, that he failed to notice that he had entered upon a more common road, and elves had begun to appear here and there upon it. Most of these ignored him, seeing him for elvenkind and therefore welcome, or spared only a smile and a passing greeting. As he drew closer upon the familiar path to the Last Homely House, however, and the wild nature of the mountains gave way to the carefully cultivated gardens of the elven lord, those elves that he passed began to mark his presence.

At last, Teveldin stopped a pair of ambling guards, inquiring upon the strange behavior of the populace. Both elves were young, however, and obviously inexperienced, able to provide little more than a shrug and the circulating rumor that something had happened to the Lord Elrond the night before.

Troubled, Teveldin continued, approaching at last the steps of the house itself and seeking out the pale, distraught-looking porter.

"What has happened here?" Teveldin questioned the fraught elf, "Where is the Lord Elrond?

"Forgive me my lord..." The elf sighed, "but you cannot see the Lord Elrond just now. There has been something of an accident; you must leave."

"What has happened?" Teveldin demanded, worried now. He had not visited the valley in years, it was true, but he had always been close to the Lord and his family, especailly Elladan and Elrohir, his twin sons. If anything had happened to any of them, he would not stand by idly. He regretted his commanding tone slightly when the shorter elf seemed to become even more agitated.

"I cannot say, but you must leave!" The porter cried, startled as Teveldin tried to move past him. "My lord, you cannot--"

Ignoring the slightly panicked porter, Teveldin pushed past the heavy oaken doors into the attendance hall, recalling the many twists and turns of the elven house to mind as he ascended a wide flight of marble stairs. The mumbling admonishments of the shaken elf below did not follow him, as the porter had clearly decided he did not wish to square off with the other elf. Usually, Teveldin would not have dreamed of being so rude or breaching the etiquette of a royal elven house in such a way, but his heart told him that something wicked had happened here, and he could not stand by without knowing of it.

When he came at last to the hall of the great libraries, he found the doors swinging wide and a group of frowning guards milling about. He pressed through into the library itself, where he at last spotted the Lord Elrond, seated at a small table as a well-meaning healer fussed over him on one side and a captain of the guard bombarded him with questions on the other. For his part, Elrond seemed greatly frustrated with both. The guard gave up his interrogation first, sighing in defeat and stepping away to inspect a circle of shattered glass beneath an open window. He at last spotted Teveldin, and started forward with a frown.

The elf knew what he would say before the words even reached his mouth. "How did you get in here? I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to ask you to leave. There has been--"

"Teveldin?"

Both the captain and Teveldin looked in surprise towards the door, where stood the identical sons of Elrond, Elladan and Elrohir.

"Teveldin!" Elrohir recovered his surprise first, striding forward to wrap his old friend in a warm embrace. "I can scarcely believe what I'm seeing! When did you get here?"

"Just now..." Teveldin answered, "Though it seems I have arrived at a terrible time."

"Not quite." Elladan answered this time. "In any case, you'll forgive us if our greeting is less than formal; we truly are glad to see you."

"Of course. What happened here?" Teveldin gestured to the chaos of the room.

"We're not quite sure yet," Elladan frowned. "though Elrohir and I have been out all night searching for the thief. It seems--"

"Thief?" Teveldin interrupted, heart sinking. "What has been stolen?"

"I think you know." Elrohir answered quietly, glancing over his shoulder at his father. Elrond seemed aged and weary now, shoulders slumped and eyes clouded with worry.

Teveldin thought he would be ill simply thinking about it. Was it possible? Could so precious an object truly be taken, directly from the finger of so powerful an elven lord? Such a ring was priceless; the survival of an entire realm depended upon it's power.

"Vilya..." Teveldin breathed aloud, amazed.

Both twins nodded gravely, and again, Teveldin sighed.

"Tell me everything."

-^-

(Sorry, I swear I'll try to make my posts shorter from here on out! I just finished a full length novel, so it's kind of hard to get back into the short-post RPing game again. Sorry bout that. =)

nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 27, 2007 11:13

Feeling that it would be a little churlish to refuse, Halhigil thanked the dwarf quietly, loosened Mithroch's girth and sat down on a boulder. Sensing that conversation would not be welcome, he remained silent, watching the sun sink behind the horizon as the wind whipped over the mountain pass. Absently, his fingers plaited a few strands of grass together, to give his hands something to do. He felt terribly awkward.

"Where be you heading Elf? I'm on my way to Rivendell."

The question came out of the blue, and Halhigil fought to keep the surprise from registering on his face as he looked back at the dwarf. A dwarf, going to Imladris? Why --? 'Perhaps the dwarven realms have lost something too...' It was the only possible explanation he could think of, and he could hardly ask - it was none of his business.

"I too am bound for Imladris," he replied aloud. "I would have continued this night to arrive in the morning, but..." He cast a wry glance at Mithroch. "I do not know this land well enough to guide a horse over it by darkness."
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 27, 2007 04:52
The trees whispered harsh words that night. Raven had elected not to return to Rivendell that day, something was troubling him, but he could not quite place it. He leaned in closer to the small fire he had crafted, it gave off more light then heat. Not that he trully needed it.

Something missing, land feeling very dark. Tuillin said.

Raven nodded at the little swallow, something did not feel right. He rose to his feet, and put out the fire, clearing the spot so one could not tell that he had been there. He walked along, his small friend on his shoulder, giving directions as it were.

Dawn was not far off when he realised that he had returned to Rivendell. When had that happened? The two guards noticed him, but smiled when they recognised him.

"Raven, it is good that you are back!" One said. "You have been away all day."

"I know, mellon nin, it was a long journey both ways. I got a bit side tracked."

"Someone came by earlier, he seemed rather upset. Maybe you shall go speak with him, you seem to have a knack for brightening the air about you."

Raven laughed, walking into the city he claimed as home. He wandered about absentmindedly, but something still did not feel right. It was as if something very important was missing. He came upon the library, thinking to get a book to calm his nerves. Instead he found only lord Elrond and a stranger, both seem distressed about something. He tried to quietly back out but must have been heard at one point.

"Oh, forgive me, lords, if I have disturbed you, I meant only to get a book. I shall leave you be...again my appologies."

[Edited on 28/2/2007 by minstral_of_the_dawn]
~Teveldin~
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2007 01:28
No sooner had Elladan launched into an in-depth explanation of all the details the elven guards didn't know, than the gathering was interrupted once more by the entrance of another stranger. Seeing the newcomer, the flustered Captain moved at once to order him off, but he was stopped by a still-weary Lord Elrond.

"Nay, Thoronir," Elrond sighed, "He is welcome. Raven, isn't it? I have seen you here before."

"Oh, forgive me, lords, if I have disturbed you," The young elf amended quickly, suddenly understanding that he had stumbled onto an unfortunate scene, "I meant only to get a book. I shall leave you be...again, my apologies."

"Stay a moment, friend!" Elrohir called after the elf, who had already begun a hasty retreat. "Perhaps you can tell us if you have seen anything amiss in the valley this last night? Something of a dark nature has visited us, though I fear not a soul can remember the rogue's entrance."

---

(Sorry so short, but we've got to get this thread moving again Also, for those of you who don't know or may be confused, Elladan and Elrohir are the twin sons of Elrond. Again, I am not playing them, but I figured that since they were already stationary Rivendell characters, it would be fun to have them in the thread while we're here.)

minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2007 01:55
"Stay a moment, friend!" Elrohir called after the elf, who had already begun a hasty retreat. "Perhaps you can tell us if you have seen anything amiss in the valley this last night? Something of a dark nature has visited us, though I fear not a soul can remember the rogue's entrance."

"Yes, it is Raven my lord, I live here in Rivendell."

Raven stopped, coming again to stand at the doorway. "No, I saw no one enter or leave, though the borders around Rivendell are troubled, the birds and the trees speak of a man...that he has stolen several valuble things. That is all I know, perhaps others will come, that is the word in the forest." Raven stood their a moment uncertain.

Tuillin, the swallow, chirped once, flying gracefully in a circle about the room before coming back to land on Raven's shoulder.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2007 03:52
Koilin woke early and got ready to leave. He had trouble mounting the pony.
"Blasted creature!" Koilin mumbled as he fell from the saddle the second time.

He soon gave up and began to lead the pony. He looked back at the Elf, he seemed to be getting ready to leave as well.
Then as he walked he passed by a tree stump. Koilin sighed and got up on the stump and somehow got on top of the pony, although it bolted when it felt his weight.

"Stop! Halt!" Koilin shouted as he held on with all his might.
Koilin was quite embarrassed that this was happening and the Elf was watching, the Elf probably thought he was completely inept.

After a while Koilin finally gained control over the creature but it seemed as if he had already gone at least five miles.
Koilin sighed, he planned on reaching Rivendell by nightfall, at least that's what he hoped.
"How far can it be?" Koilin whispered.
Then he looked back and saw the Elf slowly trailing behind, Koilin decided not to speak with him, he still wasn't fond of Elves.
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2007 03:37
((Moving us on a little, ElfmaidenofLorien - I want to get to Rivendell! )

Despite his mild concern for the dwarf's safety as the pony bolted at breakneck speed, it took all of Halhigil's considerable self-control not to laugh. It was not mocking laughter, rather amusement at a comical picture, but he suppressed it regardless. He was under no illusions that the dwarf would accept the idea of Halhigil's laughing with him rather than at him; from what he had heard they were a proud, stiff-necked race, unable to laugh at their own follies.

'So say the Elves!' said a quiet, niggling voice at the back of his head. And what of us? He pushed the voice away. He had enough uncharitable thoughts about some of his kinsmen without comparing them to dwarves. He settled for increasing his pace a little to catch up now that the pony had finally slowed to a walk, rather than ride up at speed; the Valar only knew what a dwarf would take offence at.

It was early evening by the time the strange pair reached the road winding down into the valley. They had scarcely spoken all the day, and though they rode close together, it was clear from the demeanour of each that they were not truly travelling together. Indeed, they were doing their best to ignore each other's presence. Halhigil, for his part, was trying to ignore the curious glances that passed over him en route to the dwarf. He dismounted, feeling somehow less conspicuous on foot. None here knew him, which was in its way a comfort.

Halhigil had never before travelled to Imladris, but he had heard much about the Elven haven, and he was not disappointed. And yet, even so... something nagged him a little. There was not, for him at least, the sense of peace and healing that so many had spoken of. Or perhaps he was simply missing something. As he gazed around him, there was another feeling nagging at him. Something familiar. Where had he seen that building just there? A picture? A description? And suddenly, in his mind's eye, the preliminary sketches appeared - rough ideas chalked on slate evolving into an inked schematic, the three-dimensional image always clear before his eyes.

He had designed that building! Yet he had never seen it built. Never signed his name to the plans. It was a bizarre feeling, to know every last detail of a building he had never really seen. He shook his head and looked away, but somewhere at the back of his mind, he was smiling. It was good. It worked. He had known it would. Nonetheless, at that moment he would have gladly exchanged that knowledge for even the faintest inkling of what to do. He knew nobody here; had no idea how it worked. Who should he go to? Where? What should he say? He tightened his grip on the reins until it was almost painful. 'Stop it. Stop panicking. You are being ridiculous.'

As he looked up, he saw a dark-haired ellon walking towards him. 'Come on. Stop it. Stop acting as a child.' Mithroch, no doubt sensing his tension, shook his head and snorted as his fingers tightened still further around the reins. "Forgive me," he said softly in Sindarin, and hoped to the Valar he didn't look the way he felt. "I am a stranger here. I have some news regarding the... incidents in Lothlorien and the Greenwood?"

------------------------------

*prods Tev*
~Teveldin~
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2007 08:12
"Yes, it is Raven my lord, I live here in Rivendell." The stranger answered, pausing and coming again to stand at the doorway. "No, I saw no one enter or leave, though the borders around Rivendell are troubled, the birds and the trees speak of a man...that he has stolen several valuable things. That is all I know, perhaps others will come, that is the word in the forest." Raven stood there a moment, uncertain.

A small swallow that had been fluttering about inconspicuously at the window made a graceful circuit of the room and landed at last on Raven's shoulder.

At one time, Teveldin might have been surprised to see anyone, elf or not, with so close an affinity to an animal, but that he had discovered in past years that he himself possessed a kinship with a wild Timber Wolf that was not so dissimilar.

Elladan sighed, naturally disappointed at the negative answer.

"It is true, "Teveldin suggested, "That the woods speak of ill. I have traveled the mountains through the night, and they whispered only of woe. Did no-one else sense it before the thief entered?"

Elrond, who had at last stood to join them after convincing an array of well-meaning healers and guards that he had taken no hurt unless it was to his pride, spoke at last. "Aye, we sensed something, but you can see for yourself that it did us little good. A double guard was posted within and without, yet it seems our mysterious visitor is not new to his tricks. I am more inclined to believe the rumors I have heard now, of similar thefts in other realms."

"Other realms?" Echoed Teveldin, surprised. "You are not the first?"

"Far from it." Elrohir sighed, "The sea-stone of Dol Amroth, the star-silver crown of Minas Tirith, and supposedly, a necklace of immeasurable worth from Mirkwood have all vanished. Though I will admit, we had doubted the truth of the tales until now."

"Something must be done." Teveldin stated the obvious at length when it seemed no-one else had thought to do so. "Jewels aside, what realm is safe if a mere thief can pierce it's deepest reaches and emerge unscathed and unseen? It is madness."

"Madness indeed." Elladan conceded with a bemused smile. "I suppose you would be the one to 'do something about it'?"

"Yes, if it were possible, I would." Teveldin nodded without hesitance. He vaguely noticed that Raven had slipped out of the room at some point, and felt slightly rude for having ignored him. He would apologize later, if the chance arose, he decided.

"Do you think we, and every other realm, have not made every attempt to find the offender?" Elrond asked without anger, but merely curiosity.

"Of course, my lords, I am sure you have." Teveldin amended at once. "I did not intend to offend. Perhaps, though, one who is not so closely acquainted with any of the realms in question might have a bit more luck?"

"By all means, we would welcome your aid in the matter, if that is what you offer." The elven lord went on, "For workings of a similar nature have already been set underway."

"I will do all that I can, my lord. I realize that I am not of your realm, but--"

"Nonsense." The older elf interrupted mildly, "This is a task set to every realm, for every realm is in peril. Even the wilds that you call home, young one."

Teveldin smiled slightly, if it could be called a smile, and bowed his head. "What would you have me do?"

- - -

Several hours later found Teveldin out upon the winding paths of the valley, head bent in thought and his dark cloak pulled close about him. Although the Lord Elrond had bade him wait in the Valley for a few days before he set out upon his search, as he doubted not that messengers would be soon arriving with news of the other realms, Teveldin could not compel his mind to cease it's intense thought on the subject.

In truth, he cared little for the missing gold, aside from the fact that they were cultural treasures and one of them Was Vilya, the sustenance of the Hidden Valley, but he did fear for the realms' safety. It had been many long decades since he had formally associated himself with any place, but Middle Earth was secure when it's lands were secure, and that was the business of every man, woman and child alive.

So deep in thought was the brooding elf that it was not until the disgruntles snort of a horse close at hand alerted him to the presence of others that his head came up.

"Forgive me," The dark-haired elf spoke softly in Sindarin, seeming vaguely uncomfortable . "I am a stranger here. I have some news regarding the... incidents in Lothlorien and the Greenwood?"

"Suilad," Teveldin greeted, slipping without thought into his native tongue, still so familiar after countless years of disuse. He could hardly believe that Elrond's predictions could have been proven true so quickly, though he was rather more surprised at seeing one of his kinsman so suddenly. He covered his reaction quickly, knowing that he no longer wore the colors of Mirkwood and the stranger could not possibly recognize him, and went on. "Welcome. I too, am something of a stranger here, though I believe our paths may run close together."

Seeing that, perhaps, the stranger was bit more uncomfortable than he was willing to show, Teveldin motioned him on. "I am returning to the house of Elrond even now. If you will accompany me, I am sure Lord Elrond will be very interested in your news. I arrived only this morning, but I believe he has been expecting you."

- - -

(Is Koilin around, or there with Halhigil? I wasn't sure; sorry if I ignored him. He can come into the conversation whenever.)

minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2007 10:11
OOC: It will be hard for me to update for the next little bit, I am really ill.

IC: Raven listened quietly, when the precious relics were mentioned, the ones that were stolen, he had slipped out of the room. This was indeed a troubling thought for the young elf. If someone could walk in and take such valuble items without any trouble at all then what else could that person do?

He strod through the gardens, contemplating this. How many other items had been stolen? He wondered. What good were they to that person? Except for Vila he could not think of any real need for them.

Stay strong, my friend, these thefts shall not go unpunished. Tuillin chirped.

I should hope not, we should try to help also, after all, we have an obligation at the very least to Rivendell. It just seems so very hopeless. Raven replyed to the bird.

Hopless indeed, we will find a way to retreive the items. We just have to know what we are looking for.

Raven nodded and continued to wander. He saw more people arrive, an elf and a dwarf. More things had been stolen? Probably.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2007 10:46
(don't worry about it Tev, he was probably trying to get off his pony)

When Koilin was ready he was escorted to see Lord Elrond.
When he came before the Elves he bowed and then explained what had happened.
"It seems that one of our great treasures have been stolen my Lord, I have been sent here to ask for advice on the matter." Koilin explained.

Koilin was getting very hungry as the Elves spoke, he hadn't been able to eat much on their journey, he hoped there would be some sort of feast.
He found it very annoying that the Elves continued to speak in their own tongue. He grumbled to himself in Dwarvish.

"What will we do my Lord?" Koilin asked after a while of waiting.
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2007 07:12
((Apologies for the delay!! *crawls out from under a pile of work* ))

Manwë save me.

On silent feet, he followed the black-haired ellon through halls and passageways, inwardly cursing his luck. He had hoped he would only have to speak to some minor official, not endure an audience with the Lord of Imladris himself! Part of Halhigil knew he was being ridiculous, that there was no reason to be so strung up about it, but then it was irrational. Rational thinking did nothing to allay an irrational fear. Think. Think. What are you going to say? If he had something scripted, it increased the chances of his saying anything at all. If he was lucky, it would come out in the right order, too.

Halhigil was aware that convention would likely dictate that he ought to make conversation with his guide, but too preoccupied, he settled for thanking him quietly. Come on. Come on. You can do this. You can do this.

------------------------------------

~Teveldin~
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 13, 2007 07:25

(Hey guys! Sorry for the long delay! Let's get going again, shall we? Sorry if I moved Kolin about too much, ElfmaidenofLorien. Trying to move the story along. =))

---

"It seems that one of our great treasures have been stolen my Lord. I have been sent here to ask for advice on the matter."

Elrond stood silently at the tall, arching window of his personal audience chamber, considering the words of the dwarf that had been introduced to him moments before.

"My lord--" Erestor spoke in elvish. "Perhaps we should nt involve the mountain folk in this matter? We might easily send him back to his home with the news that we are doing all in our power to recover the lost artifacts. Many of our kin would not look kindly upon your plans if there were a dwarven emissary amidst them."

"Nonsense." Elrond sighed, turning to face his trusted advisor. "This matter involves every realm. If the dwarves were as staggered as we by this strange blow, then they too, should have every chance to set things right." Turning to the dwarf, who seemed very put-off as the elves continued their dialogue in a tongue unfamiliar to his ears.

"What will we do, my Lord?" Koilin ventured again.

"Forgive my lack of courtesy, master dwarf." Elrond nodded to the stout creature. "I must admit that I am surprised at the great amount of trust your kin have placed in the elves concerning this matter."

"These are desperate times, my lord." The dwarf nodded gruffly. "We have little choice when our own kind have been so utterly defeated by a common thief."

"As were we." Elrond pointed out.

"Aye." Koilin admitted. "But nonetheless, we hoped you might have bit more insight than we into such things. It seems we are a bit... isolated... in Erebor."

Elrond nodded thoughtfully. "I appreciate your trust, and pray I do not fail you. In the meantime, there are proceedings underway that seek to remedy this most pressing problem. As this pattern of thievery concerns every realm, I ask that you remain here in Imladris a few days more, if you would. As soon as those arrive who are doubtless en route to the valley even now, we will hold a meeting here to decide what must be done. It seems you are the only dwarven representative available."

"I will stay, if it is necessary." Koilin agreed quickly.

"Thank you." The elven Lord gestured to Erestor. "Erestor will see to it that you are provided with a room and bathing chamber. You may dine there, or join us for dinner in the great hall."

"Many thanks, my lord." Bowing, the dwarf left the chamber with Erestor, leaving Elrond to sigh once more and massage his aching temples.

"My lord?"

A new voice at the door brought Elrond's attention back to the moment, and he smiled with effort at the newcomer. "Ah, Teveldin-- Do come in."

- - -

Teveldin lead a still silent Halhigil into the tall, circular audience chamber of the Lord of Imladris.

The other elf had been pensive and stiff for the duration of their journey, leaving Teveldin perplexed. Could it be that the elf was nervous, or made uncomfortable by the presence of others? Rarely had Teveldin seen such a trait in an elf. True, he recalled with great clarity his own solitary nature as a youth, but hardship and years of rough living had quickly cured him of any shyness he might have retained. He was still painfully aware of his tendency to be a loner, but now he could at least speak to others without fear.

Teveldin was forced to stay his wonderings as they entered Lord Elrond's presence and bowed.

"My Lord, I bring a messenger from Greenwood and Caras Galadhon. He bears news of the strange happenings there. I assumed you would wish to speak to him at once."

"Yes, thank you Teveldin." Elrond stepped forward to exchange a short bow and the traditional elven greeting with the stranger, pressing one hand to his chest and sweeping it outwards. "You are welcome here, kinsman." The even lord greeted. "Although I dread nothing more than ill tidings, I fear that is precisely what you bring. What can you tell of the happenings in Mirkwood and LothLorien?"

ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 14, 2007 04:14
(don't worry about it. I'm glad to see this is still going)

Koilin was led to a room where he would stay, and although it was nothing compared to the great caves of Erebor, it would suit him for now.
Koilin thanked Erestor, once the elf had left Koilin leaned his axe against the wall and took off his heaviest armor.

Koilin had to admit that he was very hungry and couldn't wait for that night's meal. He wandered around the room for a little while, but he found that he was getting restless and went outside to walk.

He wondered what would be done about the missing treasure, and he began wondering what the meeting would be like, he would be the only dwarf there.
"Well, my King must have sent me here for a reason. He must have some sort of faith in me." Koilin thought, he was still a very young dwarf and it surprised him that King Dain would trust him with this matter, but it didn't matter.

As Koilin wandered around he noticed many elves staring at him, and when he stared back they would look away.
Koilin sighed, he had never been very fond of elves, but it looked like he would have to get used to them if he was going to be of any help.
"If they would not speak in their language when I'm present maybe I would like them better. They try to keep secrets I suppose." Koilin said. But he would have to put aside anything he had against elves for this time.
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2007 05:59

Teveldin was forced to stay his wonderings as they entered Lord Elrond's presence and bowed.

"My Lord, I bring a messenger from Greenwood and Caras Galadhon. He bears news of the strange happenings there. I assumed you would wish to speak to him at once."

"Yes, thank you Teveldin." Elrond stepped forward to exchange a short bow and the traditional elven greeting with the stranger, pressing one hand to his chest and sweeping it outwards. "You are welcome here, kinsman." The elven lord greeted. "Although I dread nothing more than ill tidings, I fear that is precisely what you bring. What can you tell of the happenings in Mirkwood and LothLorien?"

Halhigil was conscious of the fact that he was still staring at his boots after greeting his host, and forced himself to raise his eyes, if not to meet Lord Elrond's gaze, then to about the right level. He knew it made him look a little glazed, but it was better than thinking about the people looking at him and freezing into silence. He opened his mouth to speak. Nothing happened. There was an agonisingly long pause, in which some masochistic part of his mind noticed the fractionally raised eyebrows of those watching him. Oh yes, he thought dully. Enter the village idiot.

And then, suddenly, the words came. "I -- I thank you, my lord," he replied, his voice a little rougher than usual from his dry mouth. He swallowed, and felt the flicker of relief kindle. Once he had started, he could continue. "I fear I can tell you nothing of the theft from Caras Galadhon -- well, nothing certain, not about the Greenwood either, I mean --" Ai. He winced and closed his mouth, feeling the flush of heat rise to colour his pale face. Bright stars, he was so inarticulate. Sort out your words, Halhigil. Then speak.

"We have found what might be a lead, my lord," he began again. "The necklace that was stolen from the Greenwood has apparently been seen in a mortal settlement south of the Glanduin. Judging by the -- the word of the other thefts, it seems likely that they were committed by the same group, or person. If the lead is accurate then... well, it might not be." He was staring at the floor again, cheeks burning.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
((Given the Greenwood doesn't know about the theft of Vilya, the reason Halhigil's been sent with a message about this is partly because his commander will seize any excuse to get Halhigil out of his hair. He doesn't have much time for people he considers mentally subnormal. So there is reason besides just keeping Elrond informed... and for why on earth anyone would send someone like Halhigil as a messenger! ))

[Edited on 17/4/2007 by nelenata]

[Edited on 17/4/2007 by nelenata]
~Teveldin~
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2007 11:50
At about the time that Halhigil had come to the painful conclusion of his information, Teveldin had decided that it had been almost cruel of him not to have words with messenger before bringing him into the presence of one of the most renowned elves in Middle earth. It would have helped if Teveldin had known the elf’s difficulty beforehand. Halhigil was clearly uncomfortable, and feeling slight responsible, Teveldin determined to lend his voice.

“Whether the information is faulty or not,” Elrond graciously overlooked the messenger’s discomfiture, “we must look into it. Every possible lead is helpful. We will discuss it tonight with those representatives already present. We cannot wait much longer for others to arrive.”

“My Lord,” Teveldin answered before Halhigil was forced to do so, “Perhaps we should consider this, as it is our only source of information, our starting point. We had discussed sending a group to resolve the matter in whatever way necessary. This human village may be ideal, if not to locate those items missing, then at least to begin our search. If we determine this beforehand, our meeting tonight may yield better results.”

“My thoughts exactly.” Elrond nodded. “Very well. The more swiftly we may act, the better. Tonight we will speak to the messenger from Erebor. If the two of you would attend, and a willing warrior is found amongst our own kind, we may be able to quickly form our party.” He fixed his attention on the downcast eyes of the Mirkwood emissary. “Will you be able to join us at sunset in the great hall?”

(Sorry this post was a bit rushed, feel free to alter things if you need to.)
Sillende
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 22, 2007 07:38
The day was not quite at its end but Daefirith sat idly, staring into one of the many jewels that laid about. His gaze was so focused into the depth of dark blue, that he did not hear his sister's footsteps.

'Well this is surprising, my dear brother not toiling away his creations?"

He looked up as Ithilloth's sweet voice flooded the silence of the smithery. Daefirith shook his head to rid himself of the trance he had been in.

"And what's this, my dear sister not singing to the birds?"

A glare was her reply but then her face broke into a smile and they both chuckled. He stood adn stretched though he did not feel any need too.

'I am not myself today' he thought,"Is there anything you needed?"he asked aloud.

"No but I feel there is something amiss, I think I glimpsed and old friend today Teveldin."Through her worried eyes a slight smile shone,"Perhaps you should find him."

"Sounds more like a command than a suggestion,"Daefirith replied though of course he would not mind speaking with an old companion. Ithilloth's face fell into that glare and he was quick to answer,"Of course I will keep a look out for him."

"You wish me to hell him you say hello as well? Perhaps even you smile at his name?"

"Do not tease me brother, I smile always when it comes to friends." She walked away and Daefirith chuckled to himself.

(I hope this was a good introduction, Ithilloth is just going to be a minor character.)
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 22, 2007 11:46
Koilin sat down in a chair in his room. He had finished walking the grounds and was quite weary after a small meal.
"At least elves know how to make a feast. Of course there is always more and better food at a dwarven feast." Koilin said with a smirk.

A few minutes later an elf came to his door and told Koilin that he had been asked to be present before Lord Elrond.
"I'll be there." Koilin said.
Then the Dwarf sighed and stood to his feet. He looked at his armor that was set on a chair and nodded, they would be fine there. Then Koilin left the room.

Soon he found Lord Elrond and bowed. "You called for me." Koilin said as he rose from his bow.
~Teveldin~
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2007 10:04

"You called for me?" Koilin introduced himself after arriving at last to the small audience chamber where Teveldin had been waiting with Lord Elrond for nearly half-an-hour. Halhigil, the Mirkwood messenger, had already been seated at the circular table in the center of the room.

“Welcome, master Dwarf.” Elrond greeted as he gestured towards the table. “Please join us.”

When all four had been seated, Elrond began.

“I know our council seems sparse at the moment, but I wished to consult with those of you present before deciding on who should be chosen to represent the absent realms. Halhigil, I hope that you will not be opposed to standing in Mirkwood's stead, and you Koilin, for Erebor.” Both nodded, and he looked to Teveldin next. “I know you claim no homeland, Teveldin, but it seems to me that all of Arda is in your heart. If your offer still stands, I would have you accompany the fellowship.”

“It does, my lord.” Teveldin confirmed.

“It is now come that I must choose from amongst my own people another to accompany you.” Elrond went on. “My sons have already offered to go—“ Teveldin had to smile at that line of thought “—But I would rather have them stay, as their duties are not light. I had thought instead to send one such as Daefirith. He would be able to aid in combat, and is also skilled in the workings of jewels and metal. He would be of great help to you in the assessment of the treasures we seek if such a time arises. I have sent a message to him, asking that he meet us here to have a say in the matter, but I know not when he will arrive.”

Teveldin was surprised at the mention of his old friend. He had not even been aware that Daefirith was in Rivendell, else he would have been sure to stop and see him. Then again, he ought have already gone to greet Ithilloth, Daefirith's sister, but in the chaos of the past day it had been forgotten. He was glad now that he would have the chance to see them again.

- - -

((Sorry so short, and sorry it took so long for me to post! I hope it's okay with you, Sillende, if we pull Daefirith into the story. We also need to pull Raven in more, but I'm sort of at a loss for how to do that right now. Any ideas, ElfmaidenofLorien ?

Later:

Whoops! I forgot whose character was whose for a moment there! LOL I meantt minstral_of_the_dawn... Any ideas, minstral_of_the_dawn? ))

ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2007 10:54
(hmmm, I don't have any ideas right now. Koilin will be glad to go along....I'll put any ideas that come to mind in the ooc)

Koilin was glad that he would accompany the group. A Dwarf would keep all these elves in line.
"I will be glad to go my lord." Koilin said.

Then Koilin took a bite out of some roast venison. He hadn't realized how hungry he was until he began eating.
Koilin wondered who this other elf was, someone good with jewels. Koilin would make sure to ask him and maybe even tell him about the jewels he had seen and made.

(sorry so short, I'll post again soon)
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2007 02:40
OOC: I'm sorry i haven't been posting. I haven't found an opening. I'll try something here. Hopefully that opens up a few ideas.

IC: Raven quietly stalked about the grounds, he felt anxious, nervous. The usual cheerful smile he had often worn had fallen from his face in the light of the news of the recent thefts. Oh he knew of them, the birds had spoken to him of them.

Though young he understood the gravity of these thefts, how much would the people be affected? How hard would the hammer fall without these items? It was not a thought Raven wished to contemplate.

As he wandered the corridors he saw the lord Elrond in council with the representitives from the lands where items had been taken. He watched for a moment, contemplating what he would do if he had the chance, but soon shook the thoughts from his mind.

It was very easy, he would go after the person who stole the items. He would get them back without thought. He slowly walked on. Feeling to young and small to be even considered for such an important adventure. All of these people were important, they knew their places, they knew their strengths.

What could one young elf with the knowledge of the tongue of the birds possibley offer such great lords? Not a lot.
Sillende
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 02, 2007 09:12
Daefirith had began to walk, he had visitited with his mother, Lairaiwe who has recieved a message from an elf who had been searching for him. What could Lord Elrond want from him? He knew something had been amiss especially since the thought had been placed in his head ever since his sister spoke of such things.

As he mused over what he would eventualy find out anyway he nearly passed the turn that would take him to Lord Elrond. As he walked along the corridor his feet did not echo where as most mortal feet would. He reached an oaken door and could hear voices on the other side. The elloth entered with only a second's hesitation.

His eyes immediately found Teveldin and they ventured over to Lord Elron. Daefirith bowed,"My lord asked for me?"
~Teveldin~
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 05, 2007 12:42
Lord Elrond nodded and greeted Daefirith as he entered. “Daefirith, thank you for coming. I believe you know some of those arrayed here already.”

Teveldin smiled a greeting at Daefirith as the other elf looked his way.

After Elrond had explained to those unaware of the tale the catastrophic events that had brought the council to be, he offered Daefirith his choice: to go with the company as a representative of the hidden valley, or to remain.

“Since our mission is one of secrecy rather than one of war, we believe it necessary to have in our company those with the heart and skills of more peaceful times, rather than warriors.” Teveldin explained when Elrond had done. “If you would come, my friend, your knowledge of precious stones and metals will likely prove invaluable to us.”

((Again, sorry so short. Since they're looking for people with 'peaceful' skills, maybe now there is more opportunity for Raven to join. =))
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 05, 2007 02:24
(I hope you don't mind, but I'll have Koilin find Raven and bring him to Elrond)

Koilin listened for a while, but after he had eaten he asked to be excused for a moment. He walked around, he had planned to simply get away from the elves for a moment but as he walked he nearly ran into another elf.

"Blast you elves! Always popping up in front of people!" Koilin grumbled. He could tell this elf was younger than the others he had been present with.

"What are you doin' here all alone?" Koilin asked, he could see that he had hurt the young elf with his anger burst.
"I'm Koilin of Erebor, I've come here to help with the negotitions and whatever else. Seems like I'll be heading off on an adventure, but they need someone else. Someone peaceful I think they said." Koilin rolled his eyes. "If they could gather a dozen good dwarves we would have this theif dead already." Koilin said, he smiled a little.

Then the young elf spoke of his knowledge of speaking with birds, and although it didn't interest Koilin very much he thought that maybe the others would be interested.

"Come with me, I need to be getting back anyway." Koilin said, then he led the way back to the council.

"My lord, I found this young lad and he says he knows something about talking with birds. Can we use him?" Koilin asked Elrond.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 05, 2007 03:00
Raven had become lost in thought...so much so in fact that he did not even notice the approach of another, not until he bumped into him that is. Raven started to appologize, worried that he had hurt or insulted the man, but was cut off.

"Blast you elves! Always popping up in front of people!"

He couldn't help but feel hurt at this, he hadn't wanted to trouble the man, or anyone for that matter. And with all of the troubles going on about it made it seem even worse. People had enough to worry them already.

"What are you doin' here all alone?"

Raven shrugged, "I live in Rivendell, I'm just troubled by recent events, I wished to be around my companion." He motioned to the small swallow that was perched nearby.

"I'm Koilin of Erebor, I've come here to help with the negotitions and whatever else. Seems like I'll be heading off on an adventure, but they need someone else. Someone peaceful I think they said."

Raven bowed, a small smile now gracing his fair face, "I am indeed honoured, Koilin of Erebor, I am named Raven. It is only because of my knowledge of the bird's tongue that I am named thus, else I would have no name to call myself. The birds are my friends, and they speak to me, they gave me that name." He beamed with pride, it was something he was indeed proud of.

"Come with me, I need to be getting back anyway." Koilin said, then he led the way back to the council. "My lord, I found this young lad and he says he knows something about talking with birds. Can we use him?" Koilin asked Elrond.

Raven had followed a little reluctantly, still feeling rather small and unimportant in comparison to the great lords and people sitting in the council. He bowed when he entered, knowing that he was not exactly at their eye level. Tuillin had followed him in flight at first, but then the swallow had lighted upo his shoulder to chirp small comforts in the young elf's pointed ear.
Sillende
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 06, 2007 01:38
“Since our mission is one of secrecy rather than one of war, we believe it necessary to have in our company those with the heart and skills of more peaceful times, rather than warriors.” Teveldin explained when Elrond had done. “If you would come, my friend, your knowledge of precious stones and metals will likely prove invaluable to us.”

Dafirith listened closely to all that was said and it did not take him long to respond with an answer. This was his home of course he would give his service.

"I will join your company,"Daefirith said and took his seat just as a dwarf and a much younger elloth entered.
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 30, 2007 11:09
((Aagh! *prods thread* I do so hate exam season... Afraid this is rather a filling-in post. I'd move us along more, but I'm rubbish at writing book characters! ))

“I know our council seems sparse at the moment, but I wished to consult with those of you present before deciding on who should be chosen to represent the absent realms. Halhigil, I hope that you will not be opposed to standing in Mirkwood's stead, and you Koilin, for Erebor.”

Even as he nodded, still staring at his hands, doubts leapt to the front of Halhigil's mind. My lord, I am willing, but you might wish to seek out one more... competent. The words were on the tip of his tongue, but he swallowed them at the last moment. There was no one else from the Greenwood to stand in his stead. And I do fair enough in the field, he told himself. I am fine in the field. This is not scholarship. No paper, no reading or scribing. Nothing to sweat about. I don't need to be intelligent for this. just to track, and make links. It will be all right. And if he did make a mess of it, once they got to the village, he could be replaced by someone cleverer. He had no doubt that there would be at least one Greenwood contact there - likely more, even if they had found no further lead.

He caught Lord Elrond's aside about Teveldin's claiming no homeland with interest, but did not glance at the ellon who had led him in and (to Halhigil's considerable gratitude) little less than rescued him during the earlier disastrous audience. If it was something the ellon was unwilling to speak of - and it sounded like such a thing - then Halhigil felt he owed it to him not to bring it up. He understood about things you didn't want others to ask about.

For almost the first time since the beginning of the meeting, he looked up as a tall, dark-haired ellon entered the room. Halhigil noted his dark eyes with surprise - such a trait was seldom seen among the Elves. He would have smiled, but Lord Elrond's words of peaceful skills made his gaze fall back to his hands. Rodyn protect him, he wasn't going to be expected to heft pen and ink, was he? And now you are being *truly* ridiculous, chided his common sense. Most peaceful skills do not involve sitting in libraries, you dolt. You have skills of your own, and they are not limited to slaughter. Stop being so hysterical and listen. Accordingly, he did, suppressing a wry smile as he did so. Sometimes the thoughts in his head took on a tone reminiscent of two friends of his.

"My lord, I found this young lad and he says he knows something about talking with birds. Can we use him?" Koilin asked Elrond.

As the dwarf (who Halhigil had been ignoring as far as was polite) marched back into the chamber, he found himself squashing the urge to laugh again. Young lad? The ellon did indeed look to be very young, but he was surely many years older than the dwarf, whose footseps and voice echoed off the walls and floor. Curiously, there was a swallow perched on his shoulder. Talking to birds? Interesting. He looked a little overawed, a little nervous - Halhigil offered him a tentative smile. He knew how that felt, as well.

------
Rodyn - gods, the Valar (Sindarin form)
ellon - male Elf
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 30, 2007 04:20
Raven was indeed a little overawaed, and more then a little nervous. He smiled back gratefully at the elf whom offered him a smile. He took then a step forward, though his knees were surely about to buckle beneath him.

"My lord, I know not what one such as I could do. But if I can help in any way, I will. I am at your service, my lord." He bowed without incident, for which he was grateful.

OOC: Sorry for the short post.
~Teveldin~
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2007 08:24
(Yay, let's get this going again! I'm really trying to get things moving; sorry if I ended the council a bit too abruptly. If anyone had anything to add, go ahead and insert it before it ends.)

Teveldin listened as Halhigil nodded and Daefirith pledged his services to the quest, and then turned his attention to the dwarf as he entered with another elf; the same he had met briefly in Elrond's study that morning.

"My lord, I know not what one such as I could do. But if I can help in any way, I will. I am at your service, my lord."

"Do not underestimate yourself, young Raven." Elrond said kindly to the younger elf, and then gestured to the gathered company. "None of you who possess the skills of peaceful times should underestimate yourselves. The time of warriors will come and go, passing quickly and leaving only broken men and broken nations in it's wake. The time of scholars; of healers, smiths, empaths; those who grow and nurture, will always remain." He looked solemnly from one to the next. "It is for this reason precisely that this is so important. I don't believe I need to tell you what hangs in the balance during this quest."

Turning with a sigh to circle the table, Elrond allowed his words to sink in. "A single thief may evade an army, so it is not an army that we send." He continued after a short period of silence, a new note of hopeful determination rising in his voice. "You may be able to begin your quest at the small human village that Halhigil has spoken of, a settlement south of the Glanduin. More information than this I can scarcely give you, aside from warning you that this thief is very dangerous and extraordinarily cunning; perhaps having the aid of some wizardry or foul magic on his side. I'm afraid I can be little help to you once you leave. However, I will soon make the journey to LothLorien, and with the help of Lady Galadriel of Calas Galadhon, we may be able to contact you on your journey through visions or dreams." He paused, glancing at Koilin. "At least, those of you who are elven." He added with a smile.

"Arrangements have been made for your departure in the morning. I will meet with you to see you on your journey. Until then, I bid you gain some rest and partake fully of all refreshments that Rivendell may offer. I wish you luck, and may the Valar light your path. "

- - -

((More coming asap))

Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email