Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Fennuir
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Sindarin Study Buddy Thread!
on: April 06, 2011 05:44
Hey jimbojoe312. If you go to the Workbook section of the Languages you'll find a link listed that will take you to workbooks in either language. I prefer Quenya to Sindarin but the Gateway to Sindarin book is a great, but somewhat confrontational book with the purists. Some say David Salo has taken to many liberties but I think the book is great and I use it all the time. I wish there was something as complete in the Quenya language but since there isn't I lean toward Sindarin now. I have a Quenya work book but the problem is that where do you find someone to talk to. With Skype you might find someone to talk with that way. I believe you should learn to speak a language to understand how it's written but we have to start somewhere.
Naruvir
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2011 12:59
Please look at Pedin Edhellen and Quetin i lambë eldaiva by Thorsten Renk over here:
http://www.phy.duke.edu/~trenk/elvish/

A Gateway to Sindarin is outdated and in many ways proved inaccurate according to the material published in Parma Eldalamberon and Vinyar Tengwar.
ElfDict.com - an extensive dictionary dedicated to the languages of Middle Earth!
Etose
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2011 03:15
1. I speak little sindarin but my main language is english and i can speak a bit of french.

2. i would like a buddy who is advance and can speak sindarin

i have msn and all that stuff

[Edited on 2/6/2011 by Etose]
roleoco
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 16, 2011 02:24
Im new here and I really want to learn this language. The problem is: Im not very good at English and the lessons are all in English. Im also only 15 and im smart enough to learn but not with only a workbook please help
loki9
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2011 09:54
Hey im brand new to all of this but am very very interested in learning sindarin or quenya does not matter to me. Please PM me to help me get started!
elizabethgreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2011 05:58
O.o I want a study budy!

1.) I'm totally a beginner.
2.) I'd like someone more advanced that could help me...
Adina
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2011 11:06
I'm trying to learn Sindarin (I just started with the first couple of lessons). I speak Swedish, Norwegian and English
Nimmir88
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 07, 2011 08:34
I would love to find myself a Sindarin Study Buddy, I've only just joined this site but I've been wanting to learn it ever since I first heard Legolas speak the language all those years ago (he's my all time favourite LotR charater). I've started on the workbook but it would help to have someone to maybe give me tips if they could.

Sindarin level: Beginner
Nationality: Irish
Native language: English
Other languages: Japanese (beginner)

[Edited on 9/8/2011 by Nimmir88]
Erynel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2011 05:50
Hey! I'd love to have a Sindarin Study Buddy, as learning this beautiful language is the reason I joined this site. I have just started "Your Sindarin Textbook" http://your-sindarin-textbook.realelvish.net/index.php?id=13 and the person who wrote it said they learned Sindarin here.

Level: Just starting!
Partner: Either someone advanced to help me, or someone at my level to learn with. Either would be great!
Languages: English, some Spanish

[EDIT] Oh and I have an AIM if that helps!

[Edited on 17/8/2011 by Erynel]
TolkienGirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 09, 2011 07:42
Hey, kinda new here
so i want to learn Elvish and i think i want to start with Sindarin.
And im good at english, i mean ive read The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings and i kind of taught myself since whe only start learning like 10 years old, but m not good ENOUGH to understand all of the things that are in the Workbook?
Im Icelandic so i was thinking if anyone could help me out?
thanks
TolkienGirl
Cocodaminkie1
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2011 06:04
Hello. This thread is really old and I don't really know if the Study Buddy thing is still going on. I want to learn how to speak Sindarin but am having trouble understanding the workbook assignments. It would be really cool if a study group could get together to learn and discuss this beautiful language!

Laiqualassiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2011 12:24
Hello,

I tried to learn Sindarin last summer and since then it has been an on and off thing. I would love to learn Sindarin and to understand it as fully as possible.

Level: I am not very far along in Sindarin I have just completed the 4th Lesson
Desire: I would like someone who is more advaced who will help me along
First Language: English

[Edited on 13/9/2011 by Laiqualassiel]
legolasfan154682
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2011 03:07
I've been looking at the first Sindarin lesson, but haven't done the worksheet thing yet. I'd like someone to study with if it's possible. I speak english pretty well though. ( for an american )

[Edited on 11/10/2011 by legolasfan154682]
Evelynwn
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 22, 2011 03:02
I would like some help. I am reading over the lessons but just reading them, not doing much else with them yet.

I would like someone who is pretty good to help me, if possible, I speak English.

I can't guarantee daily contact, I'm in college and that takes priority but when I have the chance I would love some help. I'm on fall break this week so I have plenty of time.

Thank you.
metabolichi
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2011 12:19
Suilad

I'm quite new to the language so i would like help from a person who is more advanced than me
Sylvarwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 13, 2011 10:02
I'm just starting to learn Sindarin so im a beginner, I'd love to have a study buddy! I'm fluent in english and danish and id like a study buddy at my level-beginner or more advanced. It matters not, I'm just happy to learn.
Earello
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 21, 2011 06:03
Suilad mellyn nîn!

I'd very much like a study buddy to practice Sindarin. I am an aspiring linguist so I have good understanding of Sindarin grammar already.

Sindarin level = intermediate
I am fluent in English and can hold conversations in Spanish and French.
I'd like an advanced person to be my buddy since I have many questions about Sindarin.

Thanks,

Gaearion
Marz_13
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2011 10:06
I'm looking for someone who can speak Sindarin pretty well and could chat with me. I'm completely new to the language, but hoping to maybe learn it. (or give it a go at least)
Thanks to everyone.
SidT
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2011 03:22
Mae Govannen!

Thats the extent of my knowledge in Sindarin. I'm learning via the lessons, but I'd like a buddy to talk to converse / chat in Sindarin to get more fluent in it.

I'm most fluent in English and I have no real preference regarding the mastery of the 'buddy' in Sindarin. Ddvanced or not, learning and development shall be done.

Cuio Vae (well, whaddaya know! I'm learning already!)
LadyAmide
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Sindarin Study Buddy Thread!
on: March 16, 2012 05:44
Hello all! I'm a beginner with Sindarin and though I'm still trying my hand at it I'm lost and would love a 'study buddy' to help me out in learning this beautiful language of the elves.
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 25, 2012 09:13
Hello as well. I am brand new to the site and only in lesson 2, and it's already WAAAAY over my head. If anyone would like to study with me, hit me up.
Carynn
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2012 10:47
I've been working on Sindarin on and off, from separate resources, mostly from hiswelokes dictionary, and I am just getting into the CoE lesson plans. I am looking for someone to study with!
kylaroisin
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 26, 2012 09:02
Hello all ! I am a beginner learning Sindarin.
Unfortunately, none of my friends are interested in any partnership, so I have turned to this website ! I am greatly relieved that there are resources available for us to learn. I would love to learn with you guys.

valto vaer !

Was that okay ? It translates to 'good luck'
good = maer
luck = valto
The adjective always goes before the noun, and it's lenited ? (lenited m=v)
Am I on the right track ?
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 26, 2012 05:52
Adjectives follow the noun never precede them! (But yes you do lenite them with soft mutation). Where did you get the word malto - luck from? The closest word is malt = gold.

Edit, ah I found it. Valto is Quenyan. Don't mix the two together

If you want to say 'good luck' in Sindarin you could just write Galu.

Galu = Good luck, a blessing, it's a greeting.

Or you could write Manadh vaer = Good fortune.
mandyk90210
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2012 09:28
I'm very new to the language, but am very interested to learn! I'd love to have a study buddy. I only speak English, so please understand I know no other languages!
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 30, 2012 01:15
Two months and five days after my initial post, I must say that the Sindarin lessons here are superb. If any beginners would like help from another student, feel free to shoot me a message. Also, Galadivren and Naruvir are prime resources.

Manadh vaer!
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 09, 2012 09:23
Just want to check and see if this is still going on. I am interested in getting a study buddy, but I'm afraid to go further with my lessons (still on lesson 1) until after lesson 1 has been re-graded. I don't want to be like "I teach you wrong as joke" like a few friends of mine like to say, except that it would be me that's teaching myself wrong.

Oh, and I only speak English.
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Naruvir
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2012 09:44
Quote from Lastiel_Rusc on October 10, 2012, 07:23
Just want to check and see if this is still going on. I am interested in getting a study buddy, but I'm afraid to go further with my lessons (still on lesson 1) until after lesson 1 has been re-graded. I don't want to be like "I teach you wrong as joke" like a few friends of mine like to say, except that it would be me that's teaching myself wrong.

Oh, and I only speak English.

You're welcome to send me your hand-ins, and I can try to correct them for you.
ElfDict.com - an extensive dictionary dedicated to the languages of Middle Earth!
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2012 08:42
Sweet! Le hannon.
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
12dustinh
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 21, 2012 01:54
Hello,
I am just beginning my study of sindarin, but couldnt be more excited! I am looking for a more experienced student to discuss topics with and check translations etc. I would be so thankful if anyone would be willing to help.
-Dustin
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2012 06:36
Quote from 12dustinh on October 21, 2012, 11:54
Hello,
I am just beginning my study of sindarin, but couldnt be more excited! I am looking for a more experienced student to discuss topics with and check translations etc. I would be so thankful if anyone would be willing to help.
-Dustin

Hey, I'd be happy helping. I've been at it for a little over six months, so I'm nowhere near the level of some like Galadivren, but teaching is the best way to learn, so I'd love to try to help however I can.
Tom Bombadill
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2012 09:57
I, like Smoore, have been on COE for about 6 months, and I would not call myself advanced yet, but I am very adapt at Sindarin and I am happy to help anyone who needs it if it will be used And that the person keeps on going with the lessons.
shellcor
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2012 03:51
I would like to find some one to discuss the pros and cons of Sindarin vs Quenya with, as well as a study partner. Some one fluent would be preferred. Skype would be amazing as well
mogli
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2012 03:17
Currently working through the Sindarin lessons and would like a study buddy
Since im in england my times are limited and I dont have a lot of time since im currently studying for my A levels!
An email correspondence may be the best option!
PortugueseSea
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2012 10:02
Hi, my name is Diogo and I am starting sindarin study this week, if somebody would be so kind as to be my studying buddy I would be very pleased! I am proficient in Portuguese,Galician, Spanish, English and intermediate level in Japanese! Currently I am living in the Kansai area, Japan. Skyping would be awesome, thanks!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email