Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Perathion
Council Member
Send Message
Post Rush
on: October 17, 2007 12:14
Any Rush fans here? I'm referring to the best Canadian group ever, that has been playing for about 35 years. I recently bought their latest cd and it blew me off! I couldn't believe that a band could renew and even improve themselves after so long! Geddy Lee is in my opinion the best bassist in rock, while Alex Lifeson is an amazing guitarist and Neil Peart amazing drummer, both one of the best around in their field.

If you like rock music on the softer, more reflective side coupled with great playing, then this band is something for you. Geddy Lee's voice is an aquired taste tho, but has grown less annoying in the latter years. Anyway, I think Rush are one of the few bands that were formed in the 70's that are still at the top of their game.
XKingElessarX
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Rush
on: October 18, 2007 05:37
I've been a Rush fan since the early 90s. Though their older stuff is much better in my opinion.

i have yet to see them live. What about you?
Valetar
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2007 06:33
+1
Huge Rush fan. Saw them a couple weeks ago in Toronto, but yeh Rush is trully one of the best Rock bands still around. Underrated unfourtunatly, Lifeson is such a great gutarist probably the most underrated guitarist of all time, Peart amazing songwritter and drummer, very few drummers can play in the time signatures he does, and Lee just a mind blowing musican sings vocal, synth and bass?! also an underrated musican. Sux they aren't in the Rock and Roll hall of fame yet, I think that someone in there doesn't like Rush.
Donry
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2007 05:48
I'm a Rush fan. Have been since the late '70's/early '80's. I've seen them live quite a few times now. I've been lucky enough to run into Geddy Lee a few times at Blue Jays games, as he or someone he knows has season tickets. You can see him just to the left of home plate when he's there. Probably see him a dozen or so times a year on tv sitting back there. They are probably the best rock trio out there still. The older stuff is really, really good. There was a span in the 80's and '90's where I wasn't as fond of their music. Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows are the albums mostly I wasn't horribly fond of, some good songs, but nothing like Signals and Moving Pictures. I actually did a class project on Subdivisions in grade 9 English. We had to dissect the song and it's meanings, profile the band, and finally play the song, so I picked Subdivsions. Teacher told me it was one of the best presentations he'd seen. Of course, we were living in a suburb of Toronto, full of Subdivisions. Anyway, still possibly my favourite song is Subdivisions. Closer to the Heart I think is a real anthem for the 'modern' day. We need to be where that song says we should be, today and now.
Alex was hilarious in Trailer Park Boys, great episode. Triumph was my other favourite way back when......
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2007 09:56
Dude, Rush is like, only one of the best bands ever!!! I love them, my dad loves them, they rock, seriously. Love Fly by Night, and some other songs I've listened to before but can't remember, my brain's fried right now.
Perathion
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2007 10:41
I've been a Rush fan since the early 90s. Though their older stuff is much better in my opinion.

i have yet to see them live. What about you?

Me too. I'd really love to see them live. I am not sure wether or when they are coming here...but they have to come sometime!

It's good to see I am not the only Rush fan here.
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 01, 2007 09:14
My dad's seen Rush in concert!!! He told me about it, I was so freakin' jealous. Course, I wasn't *born* yet but still *sighs* it's not fair...it sounded like such a good show. He said it was amazing, mindblowing really how they did so much with only a very, very limited amount of people on the stage.
Donry
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 05, 2007 02:56
My dad's seen Rush in concert!!! He told me about it, I was so freakin' jealous. Course, I wasn't *born* yet but still *sighs* it's not fair...it sounded like such a good show. He said it was amazing, mindblowing really how they did so much with only a very, very limited amount of people on the stage.

K, now I feel old. I've seen them a few times....sigh.
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: February 22, 2008 11:33
Rush is THE band. I have most of their stuff.:heart::love::heart::love:
Have seen them on
-Presto tour
- current "Snakes and Arrows" tour...they were AWESOME. Alex Lifeson threw one of Geddy Lee's henhouse shirts and my husband caught it. And better yet they have extended their tour and are coming to DC in July, so I plan to see them again.
-they are one of the few bands I find to be just as satisfying (or maybe more!) live.
Go see them if you get a chance....you will not regret it!
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: February 28, 2008 10:34
Scored two very nice tickets in the Fan Club pre-sale yesterday.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2008 03:04
RUSH!!! Lets see... seen them live like 6 times. First was their first visit to Seattle, a couple of times at the Paramount Theater in Seattle in 1976, later on the Permanent Waves tour (Alex in a green monster head playing guitar...), the Moving Pictures tour in 1981, and the Grace Under Pressure tour in Tacoma in 1984. I was disappointed in them at that concert as they went eighties mullet and synth as they pushed their "new stuff" and I lost interest. I do still have my glow-in-the-dark painters cap I got at that show though!

Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: April 06, 2008 11:17
I was really impressed with the current tour so I count myself very fortunate to be seeing them again. The hubby and I can't wait
I was so worried that Neil Peart would end up leaving the band after he lost family members, but he seemed to be really enjoying himself on stage. I was very happy to see that. :heart:
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2008 07:06
Lucky!!! I want to see Rush badly, but I'm stuck with videos on youtube and the CDs dad owns... :cry: No fair...Last night as a matter of fact dad and I watched videos on youtube, so awesome...*is jealous of people who get to see Rush/have seen Rush*
Donry
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 22, 2008 06:25
I've been really very lucky with my Rush experiences. Not sure how many times I've seen them live now. 5 or 6? wasn't horribly fond of the Grace Under Pressure/Power Windows era. But am still a life-long Rush fan. I just got an autographed picture of the three guys from a friend of mine who's friend is a business associate of the band. Geddy also shows up at quite a few Blue Jays games, so I've run into him there a few times. He sits right behind home plate, just to the left in the 2nd row. Usually is there for the bigger games against the Yankees and Red Sox. And in the stadium they usually play a Rush song when Gregg Zaun comes to the plate, so Geddy gets on the jumbotron if he's there. Geddy and Alex are avid wine collectors, there are a couple of good articles floating around about them and wine. The articles can be googled easily if interested! Great band. An institution up here.
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: June 05, 2008 02:05
Whew! the school year is almost over and I can sit back and wait to go see RUSH...can't wait! I hope Geddy's still on our right hand side because I tried to pick his side this time. Last time we were on Alex's side.
Zechs007
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 12, 2008 05:12
i love Rush so much, ive only been a fan for the last like 6 months but i have come to like the great 3 man band so much, i want to see them in but sadly i am poor.....
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: July 18, 2008 04:13
Rush was on the Colbert Report last night for those of you interested in looking for a rerun.
Donry
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2008 01:47
I missed them on the Colbert Report, but will either see a re-run or on Youtube.

A couple of times this summer I have popped in the Rush in Rio DVD and sat back with a few beers to watch them. A great concert. Would've like a few more old tunes, but I'll take what I have for now!
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: August 19, 2008 02:20
They are putting out a live Snakes and Arrows tour album..in fact it's probably out now. It's definitely worth checking out IMO. The show I just saw in July up in the DC area is probably the best concert I've ever been to so far...period.
*Hoping no one will throw carrots at me, but that's basically the only vacation I got this summer*
Donry
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2009 04:38
Rush is apparently in the new movie, 'I love you man'. I haven't seen it, not even sure if it is out yet?
Zechs007
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2009 08:42
I do believe that movie is out now, i have seen that on commericails and a preview of the movie

though i have only been a fan of Rush for the last 2 years, not my fault..., i am only 19

i was lucky enough to score a pair of tickets to see them in Milwaukee last summer for their 2008 Snakes & Arrows tour with my gf, how likes them too, but not as much as me......of course.....
Donry
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2009 02:46
Kinda scary to think a band has been around longer than you eh? At least I think that way sometimes....RUSH is older than me and I'm 35!
Zechs007
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2009 05:22
it would be scary.......if my other favorite bands weren't also just as old.........AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, The Who

i do hope that Rush keeps on making records though, to me Snakes & Arrows is a very good album, i believe they could easily make another awesome one or two before they are done
Donry
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2009 01:57
I hope they keep going as well......musically I think they are three guys who will always be playing and writing. It will probably come down to whether or not they want to spend all that time in-studio or touring. Kids and grand-kids makes a person not want to be away from family for extended periods. Hopefully, they find a way though...
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: May 04, 2009 12:15
There's a time for feeling as good as we can
The time is now and there's no stopping us
There's a time for living as high as we can
Behind us you will only see our dust

You know we're having good days
And we hope they're gonna last
Our future still looks brighter than our past
We feel no need to worry
No reason to be sad
Our memories remind us
Maybe road life's not so bad

Just keep smiling, move onward every day
And try to keep our thoughts away from home
We're traveling around, no time to settle down
And satisfy our wanderlust to roam

Well from sea to shining sea and a hundred points between
Still we go on digging every show
The cities in the land all extend a welcome hand
Till morning when it's time for us to go

Hope they'll always feel this way
Donry
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 06, 2009 06:24
Nice post Aowyn. Well done.
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 10, 2009 11:14
I'm not a fan but just a fun fact they performed in Albany, NY near the college I attend to.
Donry
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2009 05:16
Neil Peart has done his own version of the 'Hockey Night in Canada' theme for TSN. Not sure if the song is online yet or not or if its even debuted yet. Should be soon.
Katsuno_Hitomi
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2009 05:23
My dad is a HUGE Rush fan. So much so that I pretty much grew up on Rush.
Donry
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2009 08:41
Nice! We're promoting the crap outta their new album lately on the station I work for. Some great stuff there.
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: October 29, 2010 01:11
Saw them again this September on the Time Machine Tour....they did Moving Pictures.
Did any of you catch their documentary Beyond the Lighted Stage? If not, it is definitely worth your while. I have to thank VHI for "Rush Hoshannah".....excellent idea.
Donry
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2011 05:32
I finally have the new documentary. Haven't seen it yet....but I hear its fantastic.....anyone see it yet? Thoughts?
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: July 11, 2011 10:12
I have...got a chance to go see in theater.
I assume you've watched by now? Did you like it?
I loved seeing some of the old '70s/early '80s footage.
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2011 08:18
I like Rush. They have really good music and I like their lyrics. My favorite songs are "Closer to the Heart," "Rivendell" "Spirit of the Radio," "I Choose" and Tom Sawyer."

They were featured on the documentary "Ringers Lord of the Fans.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
... i still can't get over how Alex was able to play with that big green monster head on during the Permanent Waves tour ... Seattle 1980?
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email