Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Ezraela
Council Member
Send Message
Post Daughter of Darkness (Please post in OOC before posting in here)
on: November 13, 2007 06:20
A cynical smirk crossed her face once again as she stared off into the distance. Brazen laughter leaped across the room, reminding her of the dozen or so intoxicated men surrounding her in this small yet cherished inn.

Halbarad, the bartender, sloshed out another pint of ale for an older gentleman before noticing her smile.

“So what ye be smilin’ ‘bout, miss Vannie?” he spoke loudly and in jest.

Vanyanár’s smile faded as she answered him with a quickly thought up lie, “I was just reminding myself at how wonderful your ale has been tasting of late.”

“Oh, really?” Halbarad exclaimed jubilantly in his drunken state. “Ya hear tha’, gents? Ta lady likes me ale!” He lifted a mug high in salute of his favored guest and brought it down quickly to his lips.

Vanyanár smirked once again then stood from the chair in which she had been sitting all night. Tossing a coin to the bartender, she headed toward her usual room.

“Going ta bed early, Miss Vannie? It’s nigh even dusk yet.” Halbarad asked curiously.

Vanyanár nodded, “I’m quite weary tonight, Halbarad. I’ve had a long day.”

“Well, best wishes in gettin’ any sleep. I’ll try keepin’ the raucous down, but I ‘aint makin’ no promises.”

“That's all right. As long as no one comes in and blatantly awakens me, I should be fine. Good night.”

“Goo’ night.”

Vanyanár rounded the corner of the bar and came to a long hallway with stairs. She climbed to the second floor and went down to the last room on the left. Inside was a single bed with 2 simple blankets and a large feather pillow. A small lantern lit each wall, and one hanging from the roof lit the center. A desk sat in the far left corner with a small wooden stool beside it.

This was home. Or so it had been for the past two and a half years. Sure, she did not always stay here, especially when she was out hunting, but whenever she came back, she always felt safe. Maybe he couldn’t find her here. She undressed leisurely and found a simple nightgown in her small sack of clothes. She untied the string around her hair and let her long locks fall around her shoulders and spill onto her back. Vanyanár took simple measures in preparing for her sleep. Brushing her hair, cleaning her mouth with mint leaves, and washing her face seemed to pass by unnoticed as her thoughts drifted elsewhere.

Just as she was about to blow out the last lantern above her bed, she quickly pulled back. She bent down to reach inside her sack and pulled out a leather bound book with gold-leafed edges. She smiled as she held it close. A picture of a glistening brook lining the edges of a green meadow filled with flowers rested gently upon the front cover.

“Good night, mother.” Vanyanár whispered softly. She kissed the book gently then placed it back within the sack.

Slipping into bed, she closed her eyes, forgetting about the lantern that was still lit. She could still hear the laughter down stairs, but she didn’t mind. It was a familiar sound, and she welcomed it with open arms. She could hear someone talking loudly over the roar of the other men, but Vanyanár ignored it and fell into as deep a sleep as should could.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Daughter of Darkness (Please post in OOC before posting in here)
on: November 13, 2007 01:27
For as long as he could remember he had had a dislike of human inns. It wasn't that he bore any hatred or dislike for the younger children of Iluvatar, no, not at all. But int heir drunken states they could become...hard to handle. And he had no desire to face them at all. But circumstances were preventing Alagos from doing that.

Alagos had tied his golden hair back in a simple knotted cord of leather. It served no other purpose then to accenture his sharply pointed ears and elven features. For Alagos was an elf. As old and ancient as the forests themselves. He had seen centuries come and go, and people as well. He had a purpose, but he was willing to take his time to acheive it. He had enough of it as it was.

His purpose was as of yet kept secret. It did not need to be displayed openly, nor would he allow it to be otherwise. Now Alagos was far from a hermit, but he liked his privacy. But life, he knew, did not work that way unless once forced themselves into it. And he would not do that. It was because of this that he had found himself near a human inn.

He could smell the ale from his position in the forest. He shook his head in disbelief, he did not undertand the need to get drunk, nor to consume such a vile liquid as ale. So this day, at dusk, he had come to this inn at quite an unexpected moment. He thought of renting a room for the night, but just the thought of that made Alagos shiver in disgust.

Alagos continued to walk slowly, taking the time to watch the humans from the outside. He wondered about mortality, and how fortunate the humans were to be mortal. He wondered what it would be like to die. Alagos decided to stop there for the night, something kept him in that place, wither it was the atmosphere or the people or his own weariness of life he could not say. He sat beneath a great tree and took out a small flute of carven wood. Bringing it to his lips he played a soft sweet melody to ease his troubled mind.
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 13, 2007 06:34
Nori had finally reached a resting point for the week's journey. Her mission was over, and she was returning home. She was dirty, this was definately a good thing. She was sore- not a good thing. She was grumpy because she was sore. She was sore because of the pony she had bought off the farmer a few weeks ago. The very bony, very disagreeable, pony.

She dismounted and gingerly led the shaggy beast into the stable. Seeing an empty stall, much too big, she put the pony inside and fed it with some hay laying nearby. No matter how bad the animal, Nori took care of whatever beast was in her care. Her father, now long gone, had ingrained her with this teaching. She was mentally disagreeing with him at the moment, however.

Then again, She usually disagreed with everyone. That was the way Nori was. She thrived on arguments, or debates, as she liked to call them. She smiled as she remembered the Debate she had won against the last innkeeper, in Bree. She had gotten thrown out, but hey, she had won the debate. Good ale should be brown, not yellow. Everyone know that.

Speaking of ale... Nori stomped towards the inn, hoping they had good brown ale. Her muscles cried in agony, especially her seat, and back. Which, of course, made her even grumpier.

Nori slammed the door of the inn back on its hinges. The inebriated crowd took little notice. She stormed up to the counter and shouted over the group at the bartender.

"Oi! Barkeep! Brown ale, and some food!" It better be brown... she thought. She watched the obviously drunken bartender meander to the counter.

"Liddle dwarf man want sum ale?" he slobbered.

Nori Growled...
Ezraela
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 14, 2007 06:40
Vanyanár tossed and turned in her sleep. The voices of the past rose up to scream their cry in her mind. The nightmare ceased to end as she flipped and groaned upon her bed.

“I have returned, She-elf!” a hideous voice rasped. “You are mine!”

“No!” Vanyanár sat up quickly, almost hitting her head on her head board.

The dream had returned. She hadn’t dreamt it since coming to this inn two and a half years ago, and now it was back. He was near.

“Ahh” she groaned angrily and shoved the covers off of her body. Somebody was still shouting downstairs, and, by the looks of it outside, she hadn’t slept more than half an hour.
Vanyanár also heard something else, though. Something sweet and beautiful. What is that sound? She wondered as she went over to the window above her desk. Looking below, she saw the oddest thing that could possibly be seen outside of a human inn. An elf. Her heart leapt at the sight of him, sitting there, playing a soft melody with his flute.

It had been ages since the last time Vanyanár had seen an elf, and, to put it simply, it hadn’t been the happiest experience of her life. She watched him for almost five minutes before realizing that he could probably sense her stare. She quickly brought her head back into her room. Biting her lip, she held her breath, hoping he wouldn’t have noticed.

“AHHH!” Vanyanár was taken aback by the violent shout below. Someone had started a fight and, by the sounds of it, a nasty one. She dressed quickly, and grabbed a single sword from her sheath of three. Whatever was happening downstairs was definitely NOT a regular drunken brawl.

She noticed that the flutist had stopped playing, but she didn’t have time to see why. Hopefully he wasn’t headed into the inn. She wasn’t ready to face an elf tonight.

Flying down the stairs and rounding the corner of the bar, she witnessed the cause of the raucous. A dwarf.

“I asked for brown ale! Not this yellow filth!” The dwarf growled loudly. “And I am NOT a MAN-DWARF!”.

Vanyanár grimaced at the thought of having to face yet another of her unfavored races. A dwarf’s temper and unending talk of their great halls always seemed to make her tense with impatience.

Why tonight? She thought. Why, when he is so near, do I have to not only see an elf but also fight off an angry little dwarf! I have the worst luck in all of Arda.

Breathing deliberately, Vanyanár marched up to the stout creature, who was aiming a squared off fist at Halbarad. She caught the fist mid-air, and the room quieted almost immediately. The men in this room respected Vanyanár and never question her judgment – nor her ability with the sword.

The dwarf looked ready to burst, “Who are you, woman, to interfere with my business?” The dwarf seethed, noticing the sword in Vanyanár’s other hand.

Vanyanár raised her brow defiantly. “Who am I? Who are you to enter this inn and demand service and respect while giving none?” She released the dwarf’s hand with a shove.

Walking behind the bar, Vanyanár opened a jug of brown liquid and poured it into a mug. She set it before the dwarf, who only returned her with a blank, dumbfounded stare.

Vanyanár nodded to the liquid. “Brown ale.” She turned around without another word and walked over to Halbarad.

Grabbing the mug from his hands she spoke loudly enough for the dwarf to hear, “I think you’ve had plenty to drink tonight, friend; you’re obviously too drunk to tell the difference between good ale and bad.”

“I’m just fine.” The burly man slurred. He sat down hard into a chair, mumbling to himself before finally passing out.

Vanyanár smirked. Turning to leave, she yelled at the other men in the room to either finish their drinks quietly or go home. They all lifted their jugs merrily and gave her a half-hearted “Aye”. The only ones to not lift their mugs were the dwarf and a tall being towards the back of the room.

Vanyanár looked over to see his face, and her heart dropped. The elf. She averted his stare and walked quietly back to her room.

(OOC: By the way, great posts everyone! )

[Edited on 14/11/2007 by Ezraela]
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 14, 2007 03:47
Alagos sat and played his flute, he tried to drown out the horribly loud sounds coming from the inn. Another person-a woman-had entered the building, she had arrived on a small pony. And from the looks of it neither pony nor woman were in a good mood. Why did everything seem so bleak and tense that night? He did not know. But his music had changed from that of joy to that of sorrow and memory.

Alagos stopped playing at the sounds of a fight. Perhaps he should step in. His experience in bar fights was slim, but the few that he had seen and been involved in were not fun and not easily appeased. He shook his head, slipping his flute into the pouch on his belt.

Alagos rose to his feet and drew up the hood of his cape. He had no desire to be involved in the fight but he did not believe that staying outside would resolve it. Perhaps he should ignore the argument, but he felt a need to try to keep the peace. Fighting would solve nothing in this case. Only cause damage.

He entered the inn silently, walking towards the back of the room to avoid being seen by the potential fighters. A Dwarf-no surprise there-one young woman was keeping the peace. Hadn't she been watching him only earlier? Yes. He had seen her from the window.

As she passed him by she seemed almost frightened, and he wondered at this. He had done naught to her to make her scared of him. He couldn't help but wonder at this. But she had calmed the fight and he decided that this was aimiable.

"Lady," He said stopping her a moment, "I wish to commend you on stopping the fight. It was very good of you and very noble." He bowed his head in respect for her.
Ezraela
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 15, 2007 06:34
"Lady," He said stopping her a moment, "I wish to commend you on stopping the fight. It was very good of you and very noble." He bowed his head in respect for her.

Vanyanár did her best to seem thankful, but she knew it wasn’t working. The elf’s face grew a look of concern, or was it doubt, as he looked into her eyes, and soon memories of the past began to flood her mind.

Her last encounter with an elf had been almost one hundred years ago, and it hadn’t been a pleasant one. She had seen him quite a distance off but had thought nothing of it. Lothlorien always had scouts to watch for enemies. She had simply come to seek advice from the Lady Galadriel.

Vanyanár had gotten just a few feet into the sacred woods when an arrow had shot by her face slicing a single strand of hair from her head.

“I am not an enemy. I swear. I’ve come to speak to your Lady.” She had called out, though she had lost sight of the elf.

“You are not elven; how did you come to know the way into this sacred place?” The elf had returned.

“I may not look it, but I am elven. I was marred at birth by an evil man. My appearance was altered, but not my blood. Now, please, let me pass.” She took a step forward and was rewarded with another arrow. This one went straight into her boot, barely missing her foot.

“You may not pass through these woods until I have spoken with the Lady myself.” The elf had walked slowly from his hiding place and stood before her. “Do I know you?”

Vanyanár had looked deeply into his inquisitive eyes, studying the pristine face and bright, blond hair. Then she had seen. The scar on his neck was barely visible, but she had still seen it.

His eyes had widened in fear then rage, “You! You’re her!”

How could he have gotten here? Vanyanár had thought to herself. Why him?

“I did not do that to you.” She had answered shakily.

“No… your father did.” The elf had seethed. “Get out. Get out of here before I call down all of the forces of Lorien to dispatch you from this earth!” They elf had unsheathed his sword as if to add to his promise. “Leave!” He had yelled.

Vanyanár had run from that place, angry and frightened, and now she felt the same. The elf standing before her had done nothing but offer her a kind gesture, and yet she felt ready to scream. The irony of it all hit her like a battering ram to a fortress.

She looked up into the elf’s soft green eyes and smiled her old sarcastic smile, “Thank you, sir, for the gesture. I do appreciate it. Now if you’ll excuse me…” She turned to leave, but something suddenly caught at her heart. Here eyes widened in fear, and her pulsed dropped suddenly. “No.” she whispered hoarsely.

Like a dam breaking to pieces, Vanyanár felt the evil rush through her veins. She struggled to regain control, all the while gaining both the elf’s and everyone else’s undivided attention. She started to shake – first in her hands, then her knees, then on to her entire body. She fell to the ground in a heap, and continued to quake.

“No!” she screamed at the top of her lungs, and her scream was matched with that of an even higher one.

The men around her covered their ears and fell to the ground in fear. The dwarf looked like she was ready to jump out of her skin, while the elf seemed to be frozen in time.

The affects suddenly vanished from Vanyanár, and she leapt quickly to her feet. She raced back to her room and grabbed her sheath with only two swords in it.

“Drat!” She had left her other sword by the bar. Dashing around her room, she quickly grabbed all of her affect. She strapped her sheath to her back like a person would strap a quiver, and then grabbed her sack of clothing and personal items.

Vanyanár raced back into the bar, seeing the men still cowering in fear. Even Halbarad had sobered up and was now hiding beneath a stool. She grabbed her last sword, and raced for the stables. Finding a horse that appeared to suit her, she ignored a saddle and went bareback. She pulled the horse back suddenly when she turned and saw the sky.

He flew in the air like a predator in search of his prey. The horse bucked violently, but she held on tight. She had to get out of there…

(OOC: Great job minstral on the post. Thanks for not getting upset at me for godmodding. Like I said, it won't happen again. )

[Edited on 15/11/2007 by Ezraela]
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 15, 2007 11:54
Nori cradled her mug next to the counter. She was seething. Who did that girl think she was, breaking up a good brawl before I had even knocked one drunken fool out? Not fair. I had it all under control. I was even having fun for the first time since... since... Nori stopped in mid-thought. She didn't want to go there.

Nori aimed a glare at the woman, but she took no notice. She was talking to another elf. Of course. Count on an elf to ruin all the fun. Nori glared at both of them now, hoping to be noticed, but to no avail. They probably knew each other. Probably were friends, even.

Nori sighed, and turned back to her mug of BROWN ale. At least that girl was good for one thing... she did know good ale from bad! Nori sipped- it was good ale.

Suddenly the room quieted - not a good sign in an inn. Nori looked at the cause of the quiet- the girl. She was shaking all over, whispering "No" over and over. Suddenly she dropped to the ground, quivering like a leaf. Then she screamed, "NO!!!!" louder than a dwarf's angry bellow. An even higher scream then drowned hers out.

Memories flooded Nori's mind- evil, fear, trouble, panic, misery. Memories Nori had kept at bay for half a century now rushed to the foreground of her mind. Nori jumped up, adrenaline pulsing through her veins, every muscle twitching, fear freezing her, yet preparing her for a fight.

Then it all stopped. She rushed out of the room, then ran out the front door like a spooked rabbit to its burrow.

Nori stood there for a moment, then something, she wasn't sure what, compelled her to action. She exchanged glances with the elf, grinned and nodded -was it hello, or goodbye?- then paid for her meal with a few coins and ran out to the stable after the girl.

Finally. Some action!!!

((OOC: No prob ezraela! great post, yourself! Where to next?))

[Edited on 11/16/2007 by RodwenofRohan]
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 15, 2007 07:05
Alagos noted her sarcasm, that was uncalled for, but what had he expected? He could see in her eyes that she was troubled by some thought, a memory, perhaps. She did not give him a chance to persue a conversation and perhaps unravel this mystery and ease his curiosity when something happened.

The woman stiffened, falling to the ground and twitching horribly. He wondered what ailed her, she had been aware of the seizure before it had fully hit her. Had she been suffering from an affliction? If so for how long? These thoughts tangled themselves in Alagos' ancient mind and led him to want to approach and try to help the woman.

Her scream stopped him. A horrible screech, so horrible that he knew the others cowered in fear, Alagos felt himself rooted to the spot. That sound was familiar, and it brought back memories of the days when Melkor was stll at large and raising armies or orcs, capturing and bruttaly mutilating elves for his own designs. He felt terror seize his heart but he held firm in place.

He was shocked as she fled up the stairs, but he had a feeling that she would try to run for it. He caught Nori's glance, nodding silently he went out after the young woman. He saw the nazgul in the distance and his breath caught in horror, terror, and anger. His hand went to his sword but he held firm.

He saw that she was about to leave, on a half-mad horse no less. She would get herself killed. She did not even have any supplies. He had to stop her.

"Daro!" He called out to the terrified beast, running in front of its path.

OOC:

Translations: Daro-Halt
Ezraela
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 16, 2007 09:12
“Daro!”

The animal slammed its hooves into the ground and stood completely still. Vanyanár could feel the horse quaking beneath her. She glanced up quickly at the elf and dwarf, who now stood a few feet outside of the inn.

Another screech tore through the air, and the horse could take it no longer. It lifted its front legs high into the air, catching Vanyanár off-guard. She landed on the dirt with a thud, and groaned in pain. However, when another screech sounded and appeared closer than before, she lept to her feet, ignoring any injury she may have received. She tried to reach for the horse, but it bolted for the stable as quickly as it could. She cursed vilely, then felt her heart stopped.

She could feel the beast’s breath on the back of her neck. She could sense the evil within him darkening and becoming stronger. It called to her, enticing her to join him, but she fought it with all that she had. Suddenly, an unthinkable furry engulfed her heart. Anger and hate and unreasonable rage crowded her mind. She unsheathed two of her swords with one smooth movement and turned to face her enemy with a war cry so powerful she was sure it would tear out her throat.

The wraith had left his mount and now stood before her, tall and menacing, all dark, both body and soul.

“What do you want of me” Vanyanár screamed.

“Your soul.” The wraith hissed back.

He lunged forward with such a force that Vanyanár almost fell, but she caught herself and fought back. Her movements were swift and quick, never letting his sword come within an inch of her body. He lunged once again; she bent her knees and made her back go parallel to ground while still continuing to stand. Her two swords caught his one between them, and, twisting quickly, she ripped it from his hands. He screech his anger, and she yelled hers.

“Leave!” She yelled into his faceless head.

Bringing her right sword up she went to stab the creature through the heart, but the nazgul’s mount, which had been apparently obeying his master’s command of staying in the air, swooped down quickly. It lunged for her head, while its master returned to its back.

Vanyanár sliced a small cut on the right of the steed’s cheek in a feeble attempt to protect herself. For some reason her body was beginning to give out, and her strength was weakening. She tried to bring her sword up again, but an unknown forced pressed down upon her. She fell to her knees with a pained looked, and dropped onto her side – unconscious.

(OOC: Somebody save me? Or at least my character! LOL )

[Edited on 16/11/2007 by Ezraela]
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 16, 2007 04:46
Alagos held his breath as the horse stopped dead. He was about to reach out to it and calm the horse but a screech filled the air, staying his feet and causing the terrified horse to rear and throw it's rider. Alagos stood for a moment in terror.

He saw the wraith land and he drew his sword. But something held him back. A terror, and a horrid realization that the woman was the nazgul's target. He did not know what to do, he could not move. But he had to, the woman was in trouble.

The Nazgul attacked the woman, it's fell beast attacked her as well. The nazgul once again taking to the skies. He ran up towards it. He had to help her, somehow. He drew and hefted his sword high into the air. Cutting the nazgul.

"Elbereth Gilthoniel!" He shouted, bringing the weapon to bear upon the Nazgul's arm. He stood over the woman protectivly. "Leave, servant of Sauron." He spoke, his voice filled with an ancient wrath.
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2007 05:09
Nori, frozen from the nazgul's scream, watched in horror as it attacked the girl. She stood by while the elf distracted the fell beast, and then, finally, convinced her feet to move. Shaking all over, she managed to drag the unconscious woman from underneath the elf, who was otherwise occupied. With more strength than her size would betray, Nori carried the woman to the stable, and laid her in an empty stall.

“Elf!” she called out the door. “Get in here, away from that monster!”

Nori turned back to the girl, who was coming around, but slowly, painfully. What do I do? she thought. She spotted a rag nearby and dipped it into a water trough, bathing the woman’s brow, hoping desperately that it would help. She wasn’t a healer; she was a battle-hardened soldier! What to do?

“Elf, Get in here!” She yelled again. Where was he?
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2007 05:47
Alagos stood his ground against the Nazgul a look of pure hatred written accross his elegant face. A look which had not been seen on his face for many centuries now. He felt someone come up and carry the woman beneath him away. He risked a glance back and saw that it was the dwarf. He let himself ease a moment and suddenly a fist, heavily covered with iron, slammed into his jaw, knocking him back several steps and almost to the ground.

Alagos managed to catch himself in time before falling, he gritted his teeth, tasting blood in his mouth. His hand clentched about his sword in anger, but he didn't advance, something held him back. A cruel tint of laughter came from the Nazgul.

"This is not your affair, elf." The nazgul hissed and then departed on his fell beast.

Alagos stood there for a moment on shaking legs, cradling his injured jaw in one hand. Then he answered the dwarf's calls. Though as to why he did not know exactly. But he paused, he whistled loudly, and called to the terrified horse which had not gone far before stumbling and falling to the ground. He approached the stumbling horse and retreived its loose reins, leading the horse back into the stable and tethering it to the door.

"Is she well?" He asked Nori calmly standing near at hand, his hand still on his sword, looking to see if the Nazgul would return.
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2007 06:01
"Is she well?" He asked Nori calmly standing near at hand, his hand still on his sword, looking to see if the Nazgul would return.

"Yes, she's coming around," Nori replied, not looking up. "What took you so long, elf?" she looked up, then shuddered at the sight of the blood running down the elf's face. She handed him the rag, "Here, I think you need this more than she does. I'm Nori, by the way." She grudgingly admitted to herself that the elf had been braver than she'd been out there, but she wasn't about to tell the elf that.

"Is the monster gone?" she asked him. Nori had faced many dangers in her century-and-a-quarter, but none that froze her blood like this one. She wasn't sure she liked the feeling, being helpless. Nori was always the strong one. "I hope that's the last we see of it."

Her attention was then taken by the girl, who suddenly moaned.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2007 06:48
"What took you so long, elf?"

"The horse...it has strained it's leg and it limped at a remarkably slow pace."

He accepted the rag, "It is but a scratch, it will heal. I am Alagos, it is an honour to meet you." He bowed his head respectfully. "The Nazgul has left us, for now. But I do not know how long this peace shall last us. I believe the young lady there might be able to answer more questions" He pressed the cloth to his cheek, flinching slightly. Though as to why for the cut was so small and it should not pain him so.

He looked at the young woman as she moaned, and he went to her side near to Nori. He looked to the dwarf in silence, waiting for the young woman to awaken.
Ezraela
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 21, 2007 11:40
“What do you want from me!”

“Your soul!”

Screech!

“Aaaah!” Vanyanár sat up suddenly, her own words echoing in her mind. What echoed most, however, was the screech. That horrible, unending, high-pitched scream.

Her breath came in ragged gasps as she tried desperately to remember where she was. She looked to her left and saw a hairy dwarf, whom she sooned remembered from the inn. She was looking at Vanyanár was an indiscernible expression, her brows furrowed deep in thought.

“Who are you? What happened? What am I doing here?” the questions poured from Vanyanár’s lips like water, overwhelming the dwarf, and making the furrow between her brows deepen.

Vanyanár noticed movement to her right and turned to see the elf she had met in the inn towering over her. He had a bruise on his chin and a small amount of blood was beginning to leak from a cut within it.

He must of done that to him. Vanyanár thought to herself, suddenly remembering everything. She remembered the shaking, the fighting. The pain. Oh, yes. The pain.

The pain became more evident as she thought of it. Her head throbbed severely, but there was no bruise or cut to indicate why. Maybe it was Him. Maybe He was beginning to pollute and destroy her mind with His evil. She placed her head in her hands and closed her eyes tightly. She had to leave. She had to be gone before He came back – just like He always did. Like always, He had found her. She could run, and she could hide; but not for long. He was always there, waiting for her to show herself, waiting for her to be captured.

She felt a small tear slide slowly down her cheek. Enough was enough. She stood abruptly, surprising the elf and the dwarf, whom had not even answered her questions yet.

“Forget the question.” She stated sternly. “I need to leave.”

She went to grab the reins of the horse, but the elf stepped in front of her.

“What do you mean by this?” Vanyanár demanded.

(OOC: I hope it's OK that I moved you in front of me, minstral. )
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 21, 2007 05:13
OOC: It's ok

IC: Alagos stood silently, watching the battle behind the girl's eyes. He noticed her panicked expression, and before he could say anything to calm her she had risen to her feet and made her way to the horse. He stepped in front of her to stop her.

“What do you mean by this?” Vanyanár demanded.

Alagos stood firmly, "The horse is injured, my lady, she sustained a badly sprained ankle and will probably need many months of rest before she can run at the speed you wish her too."

He stepped up to her and took her arm, leading her back into the stable and grabbing a stool that was near at hand. He offered it to her.

"Stop a moment and think, you need rest, you have just awoken after a most...disturbing event. That was a nazgul, though what he is doing here is beyond my knowledge, but he seemed to know you, and he seemed to be after you in particular. And I imagine had we not stepped in he would have you...this is not something encountered every day. Nor do I beleive you to have what he serches for. So what do you have that he could possibly want? Why was he after you?"

He did not wish to trouble her, but some things had to be made known. He had a feeling that there was a lot more to this then he knew. And that the girl knew. He didn't even know her name. He sighed softly.

"Forgive me, I forget that this is hard on you. Perhaps we shall first talk of easier things, what is you name? I am Alagos."
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 22, 2007 01:07
Nori watched the young woman, wanting answers as soon as she woke. Pondering the questions she would ask, Nori was surprised when the girl asked questions first.
“Who are you? What happened? What am I doing here?” the questions poured from Vanyanár’s lips like water, overwhelming the dwarf, and making the furrow between her brows deepen.

Nori thought about her answers carefully. Who am I? How much do I want to tell? There are some secrets best left untold. She had just decided to tell only what had happened, when the girl’s attention was taken by Alagos. Good. I’d rather not answer, anyway.

Suddenly, the girl jumped up, out of the hay, surprising Nori. She rushed out of the stable, followed by the elf. Nori followed more slowly, thinking deeply about the events that had transpired.
"Stop a moment and think, you need rest, you have just awoken after a most...disturbing event. That was a nazgul, though what he is doing here is beyond my knowledge, but he seemed to know you, and he seemed to be after you in particular. And I imagine had we not stepped in he would have you...this is not something encountered every day. Nor do I believe you to have what he searches for. So what do you have that he could possibly want? Why was he after you?"

Alagos had stated Nori’s thoughts perfectly. This suited her fine- the less words spoken on her part, the better, in the dwarf’s opinion.
"Forgive me, I forget that this is hard on you. Perhaps we shall first talk of easier things. What is your name? I am Alagos."

Nori approached the two of them, giving the horse a wide berth. She bowed, “And I am Nori, the Dwarf, at your service. Although you may find that I will not be at your service if you stop one of my brawls again…” Nori trailed off, grinning to show that she was in jest.
Ezraela
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2007 12:47
Vanyanár noticed the smile on the dwarf’s face but did not reciprocate it. She was in no mood to smile - nor to give out any information about herself. Nori looked confused at Vanyanár’s stern face, and neither she nor the elf could read it.

Vanyanár closed her eyes and took a deep breath. This wouldn’t be easy, but by the set look in the Alagos’ eyes, she knew he would not let her leave without at least a few answers.

“My name is Vanyanár. I have no homeland, so do not bother asking of it. I know what a Nazgul is and do not make it a habit of being attacked by them. What he searches for and what interest he has in me is none of your business. I thank you for your assistance, but it was not necessary and neither were your names. I can handle myself; I‘ve done so my whole life. I did not want anyone‘s help, let alone a pretty elf and a hot headed dwarf.” She spat out the words quickly, uncaring of how the two would take them. She wanted to depart from this place and as quickly as possible.

She was still feeling lightheaded from the attack, and her heart was pounding fiercely. She sat down hard on the stool Alagos had brought over for her. She lifted her hand to her head and stopped short. It quivered heavily; she was losing control again.

I need to get out of here. Vanyanár thought desperately. She tried to stand but failed. She landed on the stool with a “humph.” Nori reached out to steady her, but she shoved the dwarf’s hand away.

“I said I don’t want your help!” Vanyanár spoke desperately. Why are they helping me? she thought. Why won’t they just leave me here to suffer my fate

Alagos knelt in front of her, a dark question pleading to her in his eyes. The dwarf stood behind him, with almost an identical look.

“What?” Vanyanár asked cockily.

(OOC: I know it's a little shorter than usual. Don't worry, though. I'll be posting some real novels really soon. )
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2007 06:36
Alagos listened in silence, Vanyanar seemed indeed to not wish for their aide. But he knew from experience that one could not stand alone against the servants of Sauron and expect to live. Or come out of it unscathed. Though he could see that she was strong, she was weak, also, for not accepting their help.

Her words made him pause, Alagos wondered if the spitefully spoken words were from the anxiety and stress of the encounter with the Nazgul or if they were not rooted deeper into the history of this young woman. Alagos was curious, but also frightened of what he might find there. Whatever her past it had haunted her steps well into her life.

Alagos did not speak, he stood by, calm, and unwavering in his resolve to do what he could for the woman. He had not spoken his wishes aloud, but he felt that he must help her if she allowed him. He saw her hand trambling and was going to reach out and steady it, but she tried to stand. And failed to. Nori tried to aide her but the woman pushed her away.

“I said I don’t want your help!”

Alagos knelt beside Vanyanar looking at her with pity. She was terrified, he realised. Of what exactly he could not say. But he had a sense that she was.

"The leaf does not think it needs the roots to survive, and yet without the roots there would be no leaf." He said gently. He put a slender hand on her arm. "Perhaps you do not wish our help. And I can not vouch for Nori, but you do need help. A Nazgul is after you for one reason or another, you do not have to tell us what the reason is if you do not wish to, although it would aide us in our understanding of your...predictament."

Alagos thought carefully for a moment, "If you trully desire it, I shall get up and leave you be. I will not help you if you are trully not willing to accept that help. But if this is just because of pride, or because of fear, or things of the past to grim for us to know, then I ask you to put it aside and allow us to help you as best we can."

Alagos looked at her patiently, he had lived in the world for many many generations. He had always stood by quietly and watched the people pass him as their lives changed and grew and then faded into death. Perhaps he had stood by quietly for far to long. And, indeed, he saw that she needed help to move on and grow into a life far better then what she had now.
Ezraela
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2007 07:04
"The leaf does not think it needs the roots to survive, and yet without the roots there would be no leaf." He said gently. He put a slender hand on her arm. "Perhaps you do not wish our help. And I can not vouch for Nori, but you do need help. A Nazgul is after you for one reason or another; you do not have to tell us what the reason is if you do not wish to, although it would aide us in our understanding of your...predicament."

Oh, great. The philosophical type. Vanyanár thought to herself.

But there was something in his eyes that made her believe what he was saying. He looked genuinely concerned.

That’s because he doesn’t know what you are, yet. Does he? A chilling voice echoed in her mind.

She fought back the emotions that were boiling right below the surface of her heart. Control eluded her, but she kept fighting for it. Inside she felt uncertain. An elf had never wanted to help her, let alone dwarf for that matter, either. Why would these two want to help her now?

She looked into the dwarf's deep brown eyes. The stubbornness of dwarves had always irritated Vanyanár, but maybe that was because her own stubbornness was brought to light while watching them. Nori’s brows were again deeply furrowed, as she appeared to be deep in thought.

Alagos thought carefully for a moment. "If you truly desire it, I shall get up and leave you be. I will not help you if you are truly not willing to accept that help. But if this is just because of pride, or because of fear, or things of the past to grim for us to know, then I ask you to put it aside and allow us to help you as best we can."

Vanyanár sighed quietly. Her mind spun through all the possible answers she could give him. She was thankful for their help but was too afraid to admit it. No one had ever given her anything without expecting something in return. Could she trust these two?

“I am thankful for your help, but I cannot tell you why he is after me. Some things are just better left unspoken and unknown. I do not think you would be able to handle the weight of it all if you did know, anyway. Very few can.” She paused for a moment. “How do I know that you’re not just going to just leave me if I do except your help. I’ve never met a single person who didn’t want something in return for a kindness they offered. What makes you any different? What are you really after?” She asked solemnly. She had tried to sound and look strong but knew she had failed. She wondered if they had seen it too and feared that the “lost child” feeling in her heart had been echoed upon her face.

She felt the strength that had left her earlier slowly flow back through her veins. Standing slowly, she pulled herself up to her full five feet and three inches. Looking squarely up into Alagos’ eyes she spoke.

“So, do you have an answer?”
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: November 29, 2007 09:29
Ez, Minstral and Rodwen,

Just a suggestion but you all might want to stay within a posting order; i.e. Ezraela, Minstral, Rodwen. I notice that Ez and Minstral are posting too quickly for Rodwen to add in her post.

It's just a courtesy to fellow players and applies to all threads.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Ezraela
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2007 02:40
ok, will do...
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2007 05:53
actually, since Nori is not a very vocal character, it doesn't bother me that much... and it lets me focus on other things... (you know what I mean, Ber...)
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2007 07:13
OOC: Perhaps, but you DO have to update too.

“How do I know that you’re not just going to just leave me if I do except your help. I’ve never met a single person who didn’t want something in return for a kindness they offered. What makes you any different? What are you really after?”

Alagos listened quietly, and after a long pause he spoke. "Nothing I can say will show you the truth in my words. That I do want to help you, so you'll have to take my words for what they are."

Alagos rose to his feet and walked to the injured horse. He began to tend to the poor beast. The horse shivered and trembled from the memory of the nazgul but let the elf handle her. Alagos gently tied a soft cloth about the horse's leg, making sure to soak the thing in cold water to reduce the swelling on the leg. Alagos then took out some bran mash from the tack rooms. He left coins in the room to pay for the mare's injury and the food he used to feed the mare.

Alagos led the horse into a stall then returned to Vanyanár. "I would have your answer if you wish me to stay. I will tell you this in all honesty. I stay because you seem to be needing aide. You may not think I can handle the information you posess but you forget that I am elven born. I was alive well before you were brought into life. And I will live long after you are dead if no harm befalls me. You are under no obligation to tell me, and I respect that. And yet my offer still stands to help you. but if you wish it to not be so then let me know now so I can move on in my road." Alagos said almost letting annoyance creep into his voice. Almost.

[Edited on 30/11/2007 by minstral_of_the_dawn]
Ezraela
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2007 06:03
(OOC: Hey, Rodwen, I hope it's ok to post this right away. You can go ahead and post right after me if you want. Like Ber said, I don't want to keep you from posting, so just tell us if we're going too fast, and we'll make sure to slow down.)

Vanyanár almost verbally laughed at Alagos’ words. The thought of him outliving her brought a hint of a smile to her stone-like face.

“You say that because you are elven you can handle things better than a human, yet I have known many an elf who would slay me at the first glance of my face.” She answered him arrogantly. “I am no criminal, at least in most ways. My only crime, according to most, is being born. I am a thorn in this world’s unforgiving side.”

Alagos looked at her with a mixture of confusion and disdain, and Vanyanár’s arrogance melted away into sadness. She knew she needed his help, yet was too stubborn to ask for it. She sensed his annoyance at her sarcasm and knew she did not have much longer before he simply walked away. Even the dwarf seemed to be a little more on edge than usual.

Biting her lip and her pride she spoke quietly, “I…” she sighed. “I… would appreciate some assistance. I know he’ll be returning for me shortly. I have a friend in Rohan who could help me… If you wouldn’t mind, that is, getting me there. I have no horse, nor any other way, besides my feet, to travel with. But two… or three is always better than one.” She paused for a moment to look into both the dwarf’s and the elf’s eyes. “I’d rather not relinquish my history, yet. But I will say that it is not a lovely one, nor one to be treaded on carelessly.”

Vanyanár smirked that old contemptuous grin, “And another thing, Alagos.” She stated, making sure to accentuate his name. “Wisdom does not always come with age. Sometimes it comes from experience. So believe me when I say that I know at least a little of what I’m dealing with in this world.” For I’ve experienced far too much of it. She thought to herself.

“So… yes,” Vanyanár finally stated. “I would like your help, and I would like it as soon as possible. I'd rather not stay here any longer than I have to. So when can we leave?" She asked as she swallowed of lump of pride down her throat.
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2007 06:18
((OOC: ok, here I am...))

Nori, watching the conversation go on between the self-wise elf and the cynical girl, just listened, thoughts running through her head. Why do I want to help her? What do I owe her? Who is this girl? She couldn't figure it out. Usually she was a loner, finding peace in solitude. Not that she did not enjoy the shouts of dwarves, the ring of picks, the sound of leather on stone... but why did she want to help this girl, whose attitude needed a swift axe?

Listening to Alagos, she nodded. The elf was ganing her grudging respect, very slowly, but nonetheless gaining. Again, this surprised the dwarf. Now she was beginning to like an elf? What was in that ale?

“So… yes,” Vanyanár finally stated. “I would like your help, and I would like it as soon as possible. I'd rather not stay here any longer than I have to. So when can we leave?"

Nori got up, grunting. "Now, if you wish. I have a pony in the stables, and I happen to have some means on me to buy you a horse, elf, and one for yourself, lady, if the elf cannot heal yours." Nori wasn't going to use that money for anything, anyway... she could make anything she needed. A reward was uneeded, but it had been provided. No need to remember that, though.

Nori headed back to the stable. "Shall we?"

[Edited on 12/1/2007 by RodwenofRohan]
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 01, 2007 06:53
Alagos took her barbs and comments stoicly. Of course he would out live her, he already had managed that feat in the years gone past. He could certainly acheive it now. He quickly banished the callous thoughts. It was rare for him to anger so just by speaking, or listening in the case, and he did not like it one bit. But Vanyanar was setting his teeth on edge.

“And another thing, Alagos.” “Wisdom does not always come with age. Sometimes it comes from experience. So believe me when I say that I know at least a little of what I’m dealing with in this world.”

Alaogs-had he been human, would have shaken his head and walked away without another word. He eventually spoke, "I have not claimed the wisdom that you speak of. Experience is a great teacher of wisdom, but wisdom is not knowing what is in the world. Wisdom is knowing when to wait, and when to move, when to speak, and when one should restrain their tongue lest they offend somebody." He said this all as if he were discussing the weather.

"I do not doubt that you have experience, nor do I doubt that your history has made you beyond your years. Nor do I doubt that you are frightened, and you are young. That in itself explains as much. But do not take my words of caution for insults. And if you didn't notice, Vanyanar, I have not tried to kill you. And I am an elf." Alagos wondered at her statement about the elves, and against his will it made his curious and eased his now-troubled mind. He stood for a long moment in silence.

“I would like your help, and I would like it as soon as possible. I'd rather not stay here any longer than I have to. So when can we leave?"

"Now, if you wish. I have a pony in the stables, and I happen to have some means on me to buy you a horse, elf, and one for yourself, lady, if the elf cannot heal yours."

Alagos smiled at this generosity, though he wondered at Nori as Dwarves and Elves rarely-if ever-got along. He bowed to the Dwarf. "I would be in your debt if you would do this for my, Nori. Unfortunetly your fortune will have to include a second horse for Vanyanar, I am no great healer-and the horse's leg will take many months to heal. You do us both a great honour."

Alagos followed the Dwarf willingly. "Indeed, let us go." He said with a grin. He flinched however, forgetting the cut on his face. The skin about the cut had bruised and blackened horribly, though he could not see it he could feel it. But fortunetly the blood had stopped flowing. He sighed inwardly, it would heal in time but he did not like it.

[Edited on 1/12/2007 by minstral_of_the_dawn]
Ezraela
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 03, 2007 06:28
Vanyanár almost smiled at the dwarf’s generosity, but thought better of it. Though she was thankful, she didn’t feel the need to show it. She nodded her appreciation instead.

“Thank you, Nori.” She said simply.

Indeed, let us go
Alagos smiled as he spoke.

Vanyanár saw him flinch and once again noticed the cut by his eye. It seemed to be getting worse, but that was to be expected with a nazgul’s hit. She only hoped it wouldn’t continue to worsen for long. Some nazgul wounds could be lethal if left untreated.

She considered warning him about it, but figured that he already knew. (OOC: Since we all agree on leaving, I hope it’s ok for me to move us all out of here . I know this is godmodding, but I hope it’s ok for now.) The dwarf went and bought two horses with the money she had and brought them over the Alagos and Vanyanár. Each took their horse thankfully as all three prepared to leave. Both Vanyanár and Alagos chose to ride bareback, seeing as saddles would have cost extra. Neither minded, however, and both simply put a soft blanket on their horses’ backs instead.

Vanyanár sighed as she looked back upon the town before leaving. It had been her home for quite a while, and now that she was leaving it, she began to feel a small whole break into her heart. But her heart was riddled with holes, each one created by some pain or past hurt. She simply stuffed this new one away with all the others, ignoring the gnawing pain in her soul. She kicked her horse’s side softly and made and clicking sound with her mouth.

Her horse started off at a fast walk, and the others soon followed suit. She looked back at them while she spoke.

“I suggest we go at a steady and relatively slow pace. Anything faster than this will bring us too much attention, and we already look odd enough as it. It’s not everyday that you see an elf, a dwarf, and a girl traveling together.” Vanyanár grinned cynically as she turned to face the road once more.
Throughout her life her smile had faded from something genuine and happy to something cynical or sarcastic. She had learned that nothing in life was ever worth really smiling over, for nothing was ever joyous enough to be celebrated by one. She never cried, never laughed (except in anger or sarcasm), and never trusted anyone – not even Halbarad the bartender had gotten close enough to really know her. No one ever did.

Vanyanár squinted as sunlight flooded her vision. Beautiful hills lined her line of sight as far as she could see. She could see horses running wild off in the distance and butterflies gracefully landing atop the colorful flowers of the field.

What am I really going to do when I find him? Vanyanár thought to herself.

She had only ever wanted revenge, but when it came down to it, she feared that was not strong enough to do what she must. She blinked her thoughts away and focused instead on the task at hand. There were many dangers in the hills, beautiful or not. Wargs, Uruks… Nazgul. She had to keep her mind on staying alive, anything besides that was simply a distraction.

I guess my journey has finally begun.

(OOC: Again, I know I just did some major godmodding in this post, but I simply wanted us to get out the town without having to post 10 posts to do it. If either of you want me to change anything feel free to tell me, and I'll edit it right away. I hope I didn't overstep my bounds too much in this.)
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 03, 2007 11:14
OOC: This is just one change I'll make.

IC: Alagos accepted the horse from Nori. He gently stroked the mare's neck, pleased with the Dwarf's selection. The mare was a dappled grey palfrey, and indeed had a very sweet disposition. He spent some time, as they got ready, to get to know the mare. She was young. Barely five years old. So young indeed, and their lives were so short. But he knew that she would do no harm and that for the most part she was as steady as a rock. He knew that he could trust her.

They were offered the horse's saddles at an additional fee. But Alagos waved it on. He needed no saddle. He lept lightly onto the mare's back and with unspoken words and but gentle touches guided the horse beside his new companions. He waited upon them to get ready. Riding beside them fearlessly and proudly.

The morning came bright and clear and warm. And indeed, the change from the grim night to the life-filled day was astounding to even him. He wondered how the simple changing of the day and the night could affect him so. But it did. He smiled fondly at the sights offered by the land.

He noticed how upwound Vanyanar was. Did she not smile? Did she not find joy in this life? Alagos shook his head taking out his flute. he set the instrument to his lips and began to play a light and merry song. SOmething to warm their hearts as they rode.
Ezraela
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 04, 2007 06:40
The sound of the flute floated above their heads. Vanyanár seemed caught off by the sweet melody. There was something chillingly familiar about it. Memories of her mother playing the harp filled her mind. There was a smile upon her face as a small Vanyanár ran to be held by her. The song started up again as soon as Vanyanár was snuggled closely in her mother’s lovingly warm arms.

It was an old elvish song, one written thousands of years ago when the earth was beautiful and majestic. Before Morgoth had really gotten the chance to dig his claws in deep. A song of joy and hope and peace, a song meant to pierce the soul and cleanse it of everything that could damage it.

But there was nothing left to cleanse. Vanyanár’s soul had fled her many years ago, leaving only this hollow shell behind. The song began to grate her nerves, or was it breaking her heart? Either way, she couldn’t stand it.

“Must you do that?” She inquired angrily.

The song stopped short, and she almost wished she hadn’t spoken. The memories quickly dissipated, and her annoyance swiftly fled, leaving her with that same gnawing pain the past had implanted on her heart so many years ago.

She sighed. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to be rude. I just would like a little silence if you wouldn’t mind.” Apologizing was as rare as the sun rising in the west with Vanyanár, but for some odd reason, she felt it necessary to explain her actions.

Something had been changing in her, like the changing of the seasons. Vanyanár had been feeling it for a while, and now that it was happening, she could do nothing to stop it. She felt as though she was on the edge of a cliff, preparing to jump, and nothing would stop her – not even herself. Her walls were beginning to collapse in around her, and she was being buried alive.

Oh, momma. She thought to the heavens. What’s happening to me?
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 04, 2007 01:09
Alagos stopped at Vanyanar's angry words and tone of voice. He lowered the flute, his annoyance showing quite plainly on his fair features.

"I do not know what it is burried in your mind but obviously it prevents all forms of enjoyment, and happiness." he said, his words filled with the annoyance he felt.

But he put away his flute without another word and in silence he rode. Tall and proud and as dark as the elves of old Alagos ignored his other companions wondering what had driven him to join them anyway. He would not rebute her request, but neither would he like it.
Ezraela
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2007 09:37
The silence was deafening. She had grown used to the constant noises of the pub, and, now left with the simple silence of the hills surrounding her, she felt like she was beginning to go mad.

She had noticed the elf’s annoyed expression, priding herself on the fact that it was she who had bested his emotions. It was not everyday that an elf showed any negative feelings. Their peacefulness had always annoyed her; finally, she had done something about it. She ignored the fact, however, that it was usually only evil creatures that aroused such feelings within an elf.

Thinking about all of this, her mind was able to escape the silence for a short moment, but, when the thoughts dissipated, she was left with nothing but dead air – her enemy. Silence meant remembering the things of the past, things that haunted her unceasingly. Silence also meant not being able to ignore the past, either. Memories would always be within her, but ignoring them was the art of noise. She closed her eyes and breathed deep the crisp air of the mountains and thought of anything and everything – except the past.

They rode in silence for nearly five hours, only the occasional grunt from Nori breaking through the stillness. Vanyanár soon noticed a small outcropping of rocks near the base of one of the hills.

“Let us stop up there.” Vanyanár pointed as she spoke.

Hearing no complaints, she continued up to the outcropping and stopped. Sliding from her horse, she pulled the blanket off with her and hung it on a rock. She tied the horse to a different rock that was closer to the grass so the horse could eat. Finished with that, Vanyanár walked around the outside of the outcropping and up a hill. She sat in the sunlight, basking in its sweet warmth.

The elf had asked her if she felt any enjoyment in life, and this was it. This one simple thing. The sun had always been a friend to her – lighting her way and chasing the cold out. But now the darkness was within her, the cold a part of her. Being able to sit within the sun’s laughter, as her mother had called it, gave her a simple ethereal peace like no other. Her mind gave, her thoughts diminished, and her heart quieted.

She decided to let the others come to her when they were ready to leave again. The longer she stayed here, the better.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2007 07:17
Alagos rode in silence. It did not trouble him. Silence never did-never had. He lived for the most part in silence. But this silence was wrong. He could almost taste the pride she had taken in shooting him down. And perhaps he should not have let her get to him. But she was a fool. Whatever had happened in her past was not affecting her now. This was just her being...he did not wish to say, nasty, but there was no other word for it.

But he kept his head held high and his face an emotionless blank slate. He would not let her get to him again. She motioned to the rocky clearning and so he went ahead of them. Searching for danger. He felt none at the moment so he slipped off of the mare's back and let her graze along the hill top careful not to let her out of his sight.

That done he took out his flute once more. The simple delight of music had always warmed his heart. He was no master of old. But he enjoyed it greatly and he had a fine grasp of the music. So he played a piece of old. One that spoke of the sorrows of the elves. If she would find no joy in his music then of no joy would he play.
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2007 04:08
Nori rode the entire way in silence, with the exception of a few curses to her mud-brained pony. The elf and the girl argued for a while, but she didn't comment. Let them be- she was not concerned with the lofty manner in which they spoke.

In fact, the only thing she was concerned with was wondering... why did she offer to buy the horses? She had, though, and they were travelling. Whatever the reason, it was done.

The elf (she refused to call him otherwise) began playing a flute... very nice, she admitted. Vanyanar silenced him quickly, much to her disappointment. Nori sighed, grunted to herself, and urged her pony on. None of her concern. Let them be.

They reached an outcrop of rocks, and Nori rode a short way away, still within hearing o the elf's flute. Very nice. She dismounted, tied up the pony, and lay down on the rock. Nice rock- solid, deep. She was asleep quickle, knowing the elf would keep a weather eye out for danger.
Ezraela
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2007 05:27
Vanyanár could feel his breath searing the flesh from her face. She cried out in agony, clawing for something to hold on to. She was falling. Descending into a dark, fiery hole, with no one there to stop her.

“Why did you leave me, Vanyanár? Why did you go?” Her mother’s voice broke through her soul. “Why?”

“Mother, I didn’t mean to. He was coming. I had to leave.” Vanyanár tried to explain.

“Why did you leave me, Vanyanár? Why did you go?” Her mother repeated.

“Mother, I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.” Vanyanár wept. “Mother, save me. Please help me. Please!” Her last word came out in a raspy scream.

“Why did you leave me, Vanyanár….” Her mother’s words would not stop. Over and over they were repeated, as Vanyanár continued to descend into the fathomless pit. Then he was there again.

The screech pierced through her ears, filling her whole body with a treacherous pain. She started to quake, feeling his evil flow through her body. She could see herself falling, shaking. Like an out-of-body experience where she could do nothing but observe silently. Vanyanár watched as her body finally stopped shaking. It landed with a loud thud as the fall finally stopped. Then nothing. For what seemed like days, she watched, motionless, as her body lay face up on the bare dirt ground. Then a scream.

She covered her ears looking for the source, but he was nowhere to be found. Where was the scream coming from? Then she saw. It was her.

She turned and saw herself. Her body was still laying on the ground, but now her back was arched and her mouth wide open. She was becoming like him. Her worst nightmare unfolded before her eyes, as she watched herself stand to her feet. Vanyanár could not believe what she was seeing. She was actually walking up to herself. But there was something different about this other Vanyanár. Something she could not see until she was right up in her face.

Her eyes. They were no longer the unearthly emerald green they used to be. Now they were white. Almost like a dead person. Even her pupil’s were a deathly shade of grey.

“I can’t believe you forgot me.” Her evil self hissed. “Haven’t I always been here inside you?” Then the evil Vanyanár laughed an insidious and dark, hackle as she reached out for her other self. She shoved her hand straight through her other self’s heart.

“Vanyanár.” Someone spoke gently.

“Don’t forget me.” Her evil self warned.

“Vanyanár.” It was louder this time.

“I’m always inside of you.” The evil one laughed again as she was seemingly “sucked” into Vanyanár’s body.

“Vanyanár!” A thunder clapped. She was awake.

(OOC: Someone wake me up. )
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email