Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
frodofan14
CoE Volunteer & Realm Head of Manwë Súlimo
Send Message
Post Any vegetarians?
on: December 13, 2007 10:18
i was just wondering if there were any other vegetarians on CoE.
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
Post RE: Any vegetarians?
on: December 13, 2007 01:36
I am
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
Celedë_Anthaas
Stargazer of Ithilien
Send Message
on: December 30, 2007 08:23
I am a vegetarian as well I haven't eaten any meat for almost four years.
frodofan14
Send Message
on: December 30, 2007 12:48
whats your guyses reasons for not eating meat? in 3rd grade i started reading animal rights books and ive been vegitarion ever since.
Celedë_Anthaas
Stargazer of Ithilien
Send Message
on: December 31, 2007 05:50
Mhm... I'm not really sure. I've never been overly fond of meat or fish, so it was an obvious thing to do for me And I used to feel slightly squeamish about eating, well, bits of a dead body. Especially considering how some animals are treated
frodofan14
Send Message
on: December 31, 2007 06:35
i have a question: what do you guys eat mostly? cause i am vegitarion but i am out of shape because i mostly eat pasta, pizza, and bread. can you guys give me suggestions about some stuff?
Celedë_Anthaas
Stargazer of Ithilien
Send Message
on: December 31, 2007 07:04
Beans, lentils and various soya products (tofu, various veggie burgers) are good. I try to drink only water and milk (occasionally orange or apple juice). Plenty of vegetables - at least three or four different kinds a day. Fruit as well, of course. Variation is what's important, to ensure you get all the nutrients you need.
When you don't eat meat and fish, it can be difficult to get the protein you need. Meat contains complete protein (all the essential amino acids) while grain, vegetables, dairy products, etc usually lack one or more. In order to get all the amino acids, you need to combine various foods. I'm not completely sure which combinations give you what you need, but as long as you eat many different things (like a meal consisting of various vegetables, beans, plus a glass of milk) you should get what you need.
Soyabeans do have all the amino acids essential to your body, that's why soya products are so loved by vegetarians

Where I live soya products are hard to come by, and the few veggie burgers I can get here are not very tasty. So I usually make my own. I can give you a recipe if you like
frodofan14
Send Message
on: December 31, 2007 07:11
i would like a recipe could you send it to me by PM?
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: December 31, 2007 08:03
Hey frodo, I found this thread about Vegetarians in the Prancing Pony. I thought you might find more info in it.
raina_alassë
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2007 10:32
Frodofan, I am not a vegetarian, but I do prefer vegetarian food to meat, and I have read a lot about nutrition, due to my own lack of health.

One thing that you can think of, about proteins, is that yes, soya beans does contain the full proteins... and... if you have lentils or beans together with bread you will have full proteins as well.

When it comes to the rest... Don't forget to eat different kinds of nuts, like peanuts, hazelnuts, sesame, sunflower seeds, and so forth.

Green vegetables, like kale/borecole contains a lot of calcium (more than milk products), try to not eat it cooked. I put it in the freezer, then I cut it into small pieces, mix it with banana and raisins (and some whipped cream, would one wish for that) and my children just loves that!

Some green vegetables must be cooked. Like spinach. Others can be eaten raw, like squash and cucumber - as I am sure you are aware of .

I have some recipes, if you would like them, I can send them to you within pm:s.
And check Last Homely House, recipes. The Valar part has only vegetarian recipes. But, if you come across a recipe with meat, just exchange the meat with nuts/lentils/beans instead. If you use nuts, I recommend peanuts (unsalted, they can be quickly rinsed if necessary and there are non-salted to be found) or roughly chopped hazelnuts. To add some lentils can be a good thing as well, or beans. Have some bread with the dish. In this way, you can use any recipe. If bacon is in the meal, use salted peanuts instead.

That is just some tips that I use myself.
frodofan14
Send Message
on: December 31, 2007 02:25
thank you very much everyone!!!
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
on: December 31, 2007 05:52
I became vegetarian originally for health reasons, although as time has passed, I've also become to believe it's the ethical thing to do (for me) in regards to animals. It wasn't too hard of a transition for me, as I was never a big meat eater in the first place; the only thing I ever really miss is fish sometimes, but I've learned to live without it.

As far as protein, I have some difficulty, because I have a thyroid condition, and you're generally supposed to limit the amount of soy products you eat when you're like me. So I only eat tofu/soy in moderation. My main sources of protein are:

- beans, lentils, etc
- dairy; I eat yogurt every day, and cottage cheese has a surprisingly high amount of protein. And I love cheese!
- spinach
- peanut butter (I can't eat tree nuts, as I'm allergic), or just plain peanuts
- non-soy "fake meat". The easiest one to find is Quorn, which is made of mico-protein (basically like fungi). They have chicken tasting products that are fairly decent. There are also several "wheat-meat" sausages out there on the market that are good, and GardenBurger has an awesome Tomato-Basil burger that I can eat.

I'm a very lazy vegetarian, so I don't do a lot of cooking (beyond making my own yogurt and bread), and mostly limit myself to pasta, stir frys, and whatever requires a minimal amount of effort

If you have a Whole Foods near you, frodofan14, you should go check it out. There's tons of options for vegetarians there. Also, a really good source for vegetarians is veggieboards.com -- lot's of help there for those new to it.
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
frodofan14
Send Message
on: January 01, 2008 09:16
yeah i just went to whole foods yesterday and got quorn; its really good!!!
Faervelui
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 02, 2009 01:52
I am also a vegetarian. As for why, I couldn't say. I've just never really eaten meat. I have also found that getting the right nutrients is difficult when one doesn't eat meat. The beans is a good idea, I don't really eat a lot of beans, maybe I should put some in my diet.
tpkyteroo
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2009 02:37
I became a vegetarian when my body decided enough was enough. I developed a sensitivity to meat and poulty - basically, anything that walks on land or sea.

I eat a lot of pasta and call myself a pastaterian. :lol: Tofu scrambler with turmeric is good - and helps fight cancer too. (That fact was on The Doctors today). I'd recommend adding onion to it. (I'm allergic, so can't, but it tastes like real scramble eggs with onion in it.) Spinach is also good! Tofu needs to be drained before usage or it won't brown.

As far as combining foods to get a complete protein - they now say that if you eat a wide variety of foods, usually you don't have to worry. However, I do recommend eating a cereal fortified with vitamin 12. Nutritionist yeast also contains vitamin 12. Soy is a complete protein. 5 serving of vegies and fruit, with whole grains and beans is good.

Quorn is good! I can only get their product that's onion free. Having an onion allergy, I have to make almost everything from scratch.

by the way, I've been a vegetarian for about 15 yrs. When I was 3, I thought it was wrong to kill to eat, but didn't dare express my opinions because my parents might have took offense. Back then, we had to eat everything that was served.

[Edited on 17/6/2009 by tpkyteroo]
Sairalindë_Táralóm
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2009 10:05
I've been a veg-head for about 2 years. It's going well, too.
Occasionally, I get a craving for meat but I never fall for it.
tpkyteroo
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2009 06:42
I've been a veg-head for about 2 years. It's going well, too.
Occasionally, I get a craving for meat but I never fall for it.

If you aren't allergic to onions, Hains vegetarian beef packet might be good. I"m allergic to onions so haven't tried it. What I do, is drain my tofu real well, crumble it and fry it in Canola oil and fry the tofu to a dark golden brown. Add portobello mushrooms. The tofu takes on the flavor of whatever you cook with it. An alternative is to add Sweet Basil, any other spices you like and Tomato sauce. Quorn is a another good meat substitute.
Tumeric in scrambled tofu makes a good egg. With onions and greenpepper in it, it passes very well. To get texture though, you have to drain the tofu well with a weight on top of cheese cloth.

What do you use as a meat substitute? Any fave recipes you have?
arwen1300
Gosling of Vána
Send Message
on: July 14, 2009 05:27
hey, im a vegetarian too! w00t!
Image If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin
tpkyteroo
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2009 06:27
What are people's fave recipe(s) or restaurant?

I know that 'manymeetings' were suppose to be in person meetings, but being that no one lives in MN, and getting Vegetarians together who are LOTR fans are even less likely to be in person, I thought maybe we could have a virtual meeting instead. However, I can't help but think that there maybe another thread elsewhere for my vegie talk question on this board. :twitch:
frodofan14
Send Message
on: July 26, 2009 01:04
There's this place not too far from me called The Green Elephant, which I have not been to yet but my dad loves it. I'll write a review once I eat there
Lothara
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 04, 2009 04:02
I'm one too, although, I have a fondness for pasta...(being of Italian heritage, we tend to have pasta quite a bit) and I have not liked meat pretty much my whole life. My parents try to get me to eat it, but I don't.
I wish I lived in Middle Earth, I wish I was a Timelord, I wish I attended Hogwarts, but I must always remember, I am a Ranger's Apprentice.
frodofan14
Send Message
on: August 04, 2009 05:14
Pasta is literally all I eat. Every dinner and sometimes lunch, I'm having pasta .
Lothara
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 04, 2009 05:23
I like riggatoni, fettucini alfredo, and spaghetti I'll normally have cheeze pizza, PBJ, or something of the sort for lunch...
I wish I lived in Middle Earth, I wish I was a Timelord, I wish I attended Hogwarts, but I must always remember, I am a Ranger's Apprentice.
tpkyteroo
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2009 04:49
Score 4 for Pastaterians! LOL Pasta is definately my main food too. I just had pasta with great northern beans, peas, earth balance, and spices.
frodofan14
Send Message
on: August 18, 2009 05:11
Sometimes if I'm feeling adventurous, I'll put tomato sauce or parmashen (sp?) cheese on my pasta.
Lothara
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2009 08:59
...isn't that what you would normally do? Well, for spaghetti, not exactically for fettucini Alfredo...heh
I was born to like pasta Being Italian
arwen1300
Gosling of Vána
Send Message
on: September 06, 2009 04:52
I love pasta too, especially pasta primavero (sp?) I also like having pesto sauce or stuffed shells.

With the restauraunts, In the upper peninsula of Michigan, in Marquette, there is a restaurant called the Sweetwater Cafe, and it has almost all vegetarian and vegan dishes. We stopped there on vacation, and it was great. They also change their menu every month. I don't think it's a chain, but if you ever go to Marquette, it's a good place to try.
Image If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin
frodofan14
Send Message
on: September 06, 2009 05:14
@Lothara, I usually just have butter on my spaghetti so sauce or cheese is a big step for me
Oh yeah, and I'm italian too my mom found a box of old letters from her dad when he was in the war and one of them mentioned that they only had pasta to eat for a long time, so I guess that's why I like it so much :love:
Lothara
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2009 02:14
Arwen, we go to the Upper Penninsula every year for vacation Only Macinaw City, Macinac Island, and St. Ignace though Very nice up there Yes, it's primavero
Hmm...I grew up having pasta...I can't hate it And I normally have it with sause It's the Italian way...
Eariel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2009 02:25
I've been a vegetarian all my life.
Landone
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 15, 2009 07:37
I'm not completely sure which combinations give you what you need, but as long as you eat many different things (like a meal consisting of various vegetables, beans, plus a glass of milk) you should get what you need.

Regards

Landone

_____
Surendettement
calenmarwen
Realm Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: November 16, 2009 11:23
Vegetarians? Yep I'm one! :love:

Sorry just noticed this thead and thought I'd add my two-cents as the saying is.
"There is more in you of good than you know ..."
ManveruMapalon
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2009 08:16
I am too. I've been vegetarian for about three years when I really learned a lot about animal cruelty, and that's my reason for becoming one.
tpkyteroo
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2009 04:52
Sweet! Many Pastaterians.

Merry Christmas Everyone!
:cheers: :disco: :disco: :cheers:
What do you do for the holidays? I find I have to make my own food if I'm to get anything I can eat, but thats because Dad insist on putting meat in everything and when he doesn't, he wants to put onions in everything (allergy for me). This Christmas, I made Oriental noodles with spinach and tofu. Its was I usually make because I can eat it cold if I have to. Italian vegetarian I prefer hot.
Lothara
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 24, 2009 02:41
For the holidays, I just have pasta and things I like If my parents won't make what I like, I complain So, they make things that I will actually eat.
Well, a while ago in health, we did this thing over nutrition...heh...I strongly lack protein and I don't get enough calories XP And my thing was an example Hmm...I don't like milk either I was put into the "vegetarian category"
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email