Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Post RE: Casting for the Hobbit
on: June 05, 2008 02:08
I've actually heard Colin Firth tossed about on other websites...any opinion on this?
It's an interesting thought, if nothing else.
TheOrangeblossom
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2008 11:56
I'm also voting on James McAvoy for Bilbo! Saw him in The Last King of Scotland and liked his Scottish accent...

Jude Law as Legolas dad or some other elf, he is so beautiful!

Gerard Butler as Bard sounds great! Yummy!

Beorn - I can picture Russel Crowe there.

Smaug - Sean Connelly, why not? But John Hurt has a very special voice too. He played Aragorn in the old Bahksi move.

Jack Black acted good in The Holiday. I can imagine him as one of the dwarfs.

I don't want: Tom Cruise or Ben Affleck!
leggal
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2008 06:00
Was the man who played Bilbo during the opening of Fellowship Ian H? Just, regenerated?

if so, good idea for him to play Bilbo again. If not, still. Play Bilbo again.

Ralph Fiennes for Thranduil = A++
Gerard Butler for Bard A+ as well.
OldToby
CoE Vounteer
Send Message
on: December 08, 2008 05:07
I would like to see Martin Freeman (Arthur Dent from "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxay" movie), play Bilbo. He sorta looks like a Hobbit, and he is a good actor . Actually, I think his body type and screen persona seems more Hobbit-ish than James McAvoy. Anyone agree with me? :rolling:

[Edited on 12/9/2008 by OldToby]
“ Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick.” J.R.R. Tolkein The Hobbit
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: December 08, 2008 05:32
OldToby,

If you scroll up, you'll see that I totally agree with you. He actually looks a good bit like a younger Ian Holm. I think he'd be perfect.

Now how do we make that suggestion to del Toro? *grins*
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Ven
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2008 04:32
I still think Eric Bana would make a great Bard...Anyone agree?
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: December 09, 2008 05:00
Martin Freeman would be a good choice for Bilbo i think.
OldToby
CoE Vounteer
Send Message
on: January 10, 2009 10:18
Hmmmm….just remember the old adage, You can never go home…:cry:

Remember all the bittersweet experiences we as movie goers experienced with FOTR,TTT & ROTK? We believed we were there….right along side the heroes and villains. These moments are frozen in time, never to be duplicated. P.J. does not have exclusive control of the Hobbit film; so we should not expect that this movie will feel or look just like the triology.

Be that as it may…..

For the role of: MASTER OF THE TOWN OF ESGAROTH (who was a scoundrel), who better to play him then Swedish actor
PETER STORMARE (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001780/).

Peter has played some of the most deliciously twisted, socio-paths in movie history! Remember him as Serge Muscat in “Chocolat”, Cavaldi in“The Brothers Grimm”, Gaear Grimsrud in“Fargo”, and Lucifer in“Constantine”?

“ Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick.” J.R.R. Tolkein The Hobbit
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2009 07:44
Martin Freeman would make a good hobbit, but I love the idea of James McAvoy as Bilbo. He would be awesome.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
NellasTaralom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 06, 2009 04:29
I agree that Martin Freeman would fit the part in looks. I just wish they would announce the cast soon and not keep us all in suspense!

What I really am dying to know is if Orlando will be returning as Legolas. And Cate Blanchett as Galadriel: She was at the White Council, which will be included in the film. They might be able to include Arwen somewhere, and maybe a very young Gimli, which would be AMAZING
heri_sinyë
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2009 06:18
as long as it isn't any of these popular teen-stars like, i don't know... zac effron or other guys like that (I sincerely don't know their names...). That would just be so wrong. and however much I love brad pitt and johnny depp ( :drool: ) I don't think they're right for such a movie either... Eric Bana might work... although I'm not sure.

I just don't get how they managed to get such good actors for TLoTR...it's got to be really hard to find people to fit into those characters. (specially since they know we'll chop their heads off if they mess up...hehe... ).
morwenna
News Admin and Taste Tester for LHH
Send Message
on: October 28, 2010 05:52
Just to bring this thread up to date, Martin Freeman has been cast in the role of Bilbo and a number of the dwarves have also been cast.
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: October 28, 2010 06:37
Does anyone know the full list of who has been cast so far?
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Lucy_Took
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 28, 2010 08:01
I don't think there is a FULL list as of yet,but what they have so far is here

Any thoughts on who in ME David Tennent would play? Rumor has it that he's in it,but as WHO?

No,not Doctor Who.

I'm guessing Woodland King,but Bard has been suggested as well.
~nólemë~
Send Message
on: October 28, 2010 08:08
The guy who so many Vánaians have in their signatures? Well I certainly hope that he won't be an elf, and I should hope for someone more Aragorn-ish for Bard. They said he would be cast, or is it just speculation?

thanks for the link btw
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Lucy_Took
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 28, 2010 04:42
Just speculation at the moment,though the rummer that he's in it has been around for quite some time.

And he's not in my signature.

Just my avatar.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: November 18, 2010 05:16
There's been a number of so-called 'Casting Calls" posted on one of our competitor sites. Note that these ads have been posted on the NZ equivalent of kijiji or Craigslist and anyone can run an ad there just by registering on the site.
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: November 28, 2010 01:52
For those of you who are having trouble keeping up with the casting...IMDB.com is keeping their Hobbit page well-updated...I know with all the dwarves I've been looking at it a lot lately.
wonderfulweirdo
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2010 09:17
I hope I'm not putting this in completely the wrong thread (I'm forum shy) but I just had a thought that I felt the need to share.
Ioan Gruffudd as Thranduil?
He's welsh so might stand a better chance at a decent elvish accent. He looks enough like Orlando Bloom to make the relationship believable, but he is a much better actor.
Just an idea, I realise someone has probably posted this before me though. xD
I love Tennant, i really do. But I wouldn't have him as Thranduil- he's too stubbley.

[Edited on 26/12/2010 by wonderfulweirdo]
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: January 25, 2011 02:33
I'm starting to wonder when we are going to hear something about Bard. I keep getting antsy but maybe they don't even plan to start looking until later? Although I'd think even if he doesn't show up until Hobbit II they'd want to get someone inn the role.
Cass
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2011 09:15
Why IMDB as cast Hugo Weaving as Elrond only for the Hobbit II ?
ArienOfGondor
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2011 05:24
I'm not sure if I like the actor they chose for Bard, I expected him to be more rugged and heroic looking, like a another Aragorn. The man chosen looks too pretty. But I hope his acting proves him right for the part, cus I'm really looking forward to seeing how Bard is portrayed. I can't wait to see who plays Beorn, I would imagine someone of great size and build, but charming too...like Beorn
So far, I like people chosen for dwarves and the guy who is playing Bilbo, too. I wonder who's going to be Thranduil?
lijahluver
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2011 01:15
Who's excited to see Evangeline Lilly as an elf? Big LOST fan here I was so excited when I heard this news.
~nólemë~
Send Message
on: June 23, 2011 10:21
With me, it depends on the role they give her. I'll be content if she's something believable, I'll be annoyed if she's a warrior. Acting qualities come second with me.
Latarina15
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2011 08:14
maybe i sound like a novice (which i probaby am) what roll is kate blanchet playing? i thougth i saw her name for the hobbit
~nólemë~
Send Message
on: June 24, 2011 09:20
She's still playing Galadriel, Latarina. They are including the White Council in the movie, which is not present in the Hobbit book but it's happening simultaneously. We'll apparently get to see the storyline of both Bilbo and dwarves, and that of Gandalf, Galadriel and Saruman, unlike the book where we only saw the first one. Yay.
LadyBrooke
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2011 09:29
I'm not too excited over the White Council actually, though I do feel that it has its fair share of good actors. On the other hand, it also has Hugo, and while I admire him as an actor, I feel that PJ has wasted his potential (and the wig is very distracting). I'm also curious about who all is going to be the Council - as far as I'm aware, Cirdan hasn't been cast yet, has he? At the very least, the Council was stated to have him on there.
Linoel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 11, 2011 12:33
LadyBrooke, no Cirdan has not been casted yet. Why don't you like the idea of the White Council? I am curious now.
LadyBrooke
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 11, 2011 01:04
Because, I have the feeling that it's going to turn into a disaster area. One of the things that least worked in PJ's movies, imo, were the quiet discussions of the books. The Council of Elrond breaks out in shouting during the movies, where it didn't in the books. I dread the same change happening to the White Council. It diminishes the characters, in my eyes.

More specifically, it irks me that they're doing a council that would include Radagast, but not Cirdan, as far as we can tell by the casting. Radagast is a good candidate for a member, but he is never stated by Tolkien to be one. Cirdan on the other hand, is stated by Tolkien to be part of it. While this is slipping more into discussion of the books and movies then casting, I firmly believe that filmmakers should stick as closely as possible to the books as possible. And by not including Cirdan, PJ is making an unnecessary change in my opinion. If he wants to include Radagast, that's fine with me, as I believe that the White Council did have more then the 5 members named in the books. But, he needs to include everyone that is named as a member in the books.
~nólemë~
Send Message
on: July 11, 2011 08:57
I think I'd personally survive the non-inclusion of Círdan, not being a fan of most of the guys cast as elves. Elves have a very beautiful/noble look which a mere wig and digital skin whitening doesn't solve. Actually, the completely digital Annatar was an ideal Elf for me.
LadyBrooke
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 12, 2011 03:43
Yeah, I'm not a fan of how he does the elves either, but to me, excluding Cirdan from the Council is like excluding Elrond from Rivendell or Celeborn from Lothlorien - it makes no sense. For one thing, if he's one of the wisest and oldest elves in Middle-Earth, why wouldn't he be on it?

I agree on Annatar though, aside from him being a little young looking for say Cirdan or Mahtan (not that he'll ever be in a movie. ). I liked Cate Blanchett as an elf...and the others tried their best, but even the script was working against them. I mean Celeborn's scenes in the EE where a hundred times better, because he didn't have to speak in some droning, how in the world do you ever finish a sentence voice.
belldoras
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 16, 2011 09:48
Well, no word has come out of The Hobbit production team that the casting has been closed.

They may still be in negotiations over contracts.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: December 06, 2011 12:00
I mean Celeborn's scenes in the EE where a hundred times better, because he didn't have to speak in some droning, how in the world do you ever finish a sentence voice.

Actually, I saw Marton Csokas recently in another movie and his speech/emotions were really not any different... I think it is just him.
LightElfRowena
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2012 05:05
I'm curious of who will play Thranduil. Maybe Eric Bana?
Melyanna
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2012 03:31
I believe Lee Pace is playing Thranduil
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email