Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Edraitheru_Melannen
Council Member
Send Message
Post Retaking Khazad-dûm (see OOC or PM me to join)
on: April 04, 2008 11:10
It is 80 years since the ring bearers have left Middle Earth aboard the white ship. Thorin III has died of old age. Durin VII has succeeded him as the King of Durin's Folk. Durin dreams of the days of old, the days when Khazad-dûm was a glorious city. He will make it thrive again and so, he sends one of his warriors, Frain, to gather a group of dwarves and at last drive out the evil creatures that lurk in what is now called Moria...

Frain sent out messengers and, receiving an eager reply from the Blue Mountains, he has traveled to the Green Dragon in Bree to meet with the remainder of his group. While there, he hired the guides Christina and Jotua. The rest of the group will join them on their journey. Morning breaks, the quest is begun.

----

Frain woke at dawn. He quickly dressed and gathered his gear. He hefted his pack onto one shoulder and picked up his double bladed axe with the other. 'This axe will come in handy soon enough," he thought to himself as he opened the door and descended the stairs. Few were stirring at this hour as he walked out of the inn. He hoped the others were waiting.

As he walked out the door he saw Jotua waiting. He had decided they would travel on foot as there would be no place for horses once they reached the mines. He ducked as a flash of brown and red shot right over where his had been just a moment ago.

"By Aulë!" the dwarf shouted, "Keep that bird away from me!"

Jotua chuckled as Kree landed on his outstretched arm. He held a finger up to scratch the hawk's neck, but jerked it back as Kree took a bite at him before flying off again, red tail standing out in the sky.

"He does as he pleases," Jotua told the dwarf, "He is a wild animal after all. He will come and go though he has not failed to warn me of danger yet."

"Well he had best not come near my axe or he may meet his end." Frain responded gruffly.

Frain tucked one tail of his beard back into his belt from where it had come loose when he avoided the hawk. 'Where are the others?' he wondered to himself, twining a few thick fingers into the hair of his beard, 'It's almost time to start off.'

[Edited on 5/4/2008 by Edraitheru_Melannen]

[Edited on 5/4/2008 by Edraitheru_Melannen]
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
Post RE: Retaking Khazad-dûm (see OOC or PM me to join)
on: April 05, 2008 06:13
As dawn broke over Bree, Falin the Dwarf groaned, turned over, and drew the blanket over his head. Sunrise was *not* his favorite time of day!, and he grumbled that it had been chosen as the time to meet.

A sharp banging on his door made him growl, but the voice without could not be 'ignored'.

"Get up, Falin!" came the deep voice of his cousin, Regin. "We don't want to be late!"

"Aye, aye, aye," Falin irritably replied, throwing the covers off and crawling off the bed. "Give me a minute!" he responded, and grumpily scrambled into his clothes. - But... he *was* excited, too. He'd volunteered for this task... young though he was. The idea of recovering Moria had been too strong for him to ignore.

Only in his mid-thirties, Falin was young for a Dwarf, and he'd never quite 'shaken' the the thought that Regin had (partly) come along with a view to keeping an 'eye' on his much-younger cousin.

From outside the door, Regin chuckled as he listened to Falin's muttered complaints as he dressed and gathered his things. His cousin was just 'like' that, he knew, and the two of them had quite enjoyed their journey from the Blue Mountains. He, himself, had been up for quite some time - despite they'd both spent some time in a nearby tavern testing wares of the proprietor. It hadn't been like Dwarven ales, but quite good - at least in Regin's opinion. - And, it had been welcome after a their journey so far.

A number of weeks it had taken them; plodding steadily they'd come eastward and passed through the Twilight Hills before turning south to follow the Brandywine River to take the Great East Road into Bree. - And, much delight (and teasing) Regin had given his young relative at Falin's wide-eyed first look at Men.

Before long, though, Falin appeared, and with a glower, merely nodded in response to Regin's, "Morning to ye, young'un!"

- But, "I hope he's there!" Falin growled, and followed Regin down the hallway, thumping down the stairs, and blinking blearily into the lightening sky of the outside world when they got there.

The two Dwarves found themselves not alone, though, for they discovered one of their kind waiting. Frain?, Falin wondered, and then had to nearly lean backwards to look up at the Human with him.

'Too tall!' he groused inwardly. All these Men were too tall for him to look at properly!

Yet, letting his cousin take the lead, "Good day," Regin said. "Ye be Frain? Regin, I am, and my cousin, Falin, from the Blue Mountains. - And, who might ye, be?" the older dwarf inquired of the Man at his side...
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 10, 2008 05:36
Christina woke up with her horse's nose in her face.
"Gerrouttamyface." she mumbled, then jolted awake suddenly when she realized what had happened. "Oh, don't tell me I fell asleep again..."
She jumped up and exited the copse in which she'd been waiting, scanning the ground for tracks. The only prints she could see were Fastest's hooves, her own feet, and something which was probably a squirrel. So they hadn't been by yet.
"What's kept them?" she grumbled, returning to the horse. "Come on, boy, I suppose we had better go and see."

A few minutes later, she reached the inn yard.
"Christina at your service." she greeted the two new dwarves, before dismounting and turning to address Frain and Jotua. "Unless we're either waiting for someone else, or you're waiting for Moria to sprout up at your feet, I suggest we leave."

[Edited on 11/4/2008 by LOTR_obsessed_loony]
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 19, 2008 08:02
"Why did ye convince me to come on this blasted journey, brother?" Broc Stronghammer grumbled to his younger brother for the millionth time, hefting his warhammer onto his shoulder. His pipe hung dangerously close to falling out of his beard, and his clothes were dirty, his cloak torn. He was a typical dwarf, all told.

His younger brother, though, was a sharp contrast. Neat, clean, organized, Corin Stronghammer was a scholar. An expert in many languages, and prolific reader, he constantly confounded all dwarves, and several other races, that cam in contact with him. He carried one axe, more as a walking staff than a weapon, dull bladed, small at the head, but long in the shaft. He rolled his eyes at his older brother.
"Broc, reclaiming Khazad-Dum will be the greatest accomplishment of our people since the days of Durin II! Why, if you simply read the histories, you would know that..."

Broc cut him off with a wave. "I know, I know. But I still don't see the point. I would be finding some good, solid ore right now, deep underground, instead of being on this never-ending walk!"

Corin smiled. He knew this argument would never end. It had been going on since they started- three weeks ago. "The trip will end soon. Look- there is Bree, and over there is a group of dwarves. I will bet you a keg of ale that they are our group."

Nori had heard of the party being gathered to reclaim Khazad-Dum from a traveling peddler. Having finished her journeys, and being utterly without work, she decided to find this Frain, who was supposedly the leader or instigator of the trip. She had not had a fight with goblins for some time, and Durin VII's least favorite messenger was itching for a battle. A trip to Moria seemed like just the thing.

She had just reached Bree, when she spotted two familiar figures cresting the hill, apparently heading towards the same group of dwarves she was. Could it be? After 20 years, could it truly be her brothers? She dog-trotted towards them, their features growing clearer with every step. Broc was older, his beard had taken a distinctly grey shade, but he still had his hammer and pipe- it had to be him! Corin had a bag of scrolls and those ink-stained fingers- it could be no other!

"Broc! Corin!" Her gruff tenor voice called out to her two older brothers in excitement. They turned towards her in surprise, recognition coming to Corin's face first, then to Broc's.

"Nori?!?" they both shouted. They had not seen their younger sister in two decades, but no other dwarf woman carried so many axes, and kept her beard so long. they began to talk over each other in their shock and excitement. "How did ye get here?" " Where have ye been?" "It's been far too long, sister!" "What have you been doing?" "It is so good to see you!"

A round of backslapping and fist-thumping began, and huge grins broke out on all three faces. It had been far too long since they had been on a mission together. Suddenly, Broc had no reason to complain.

The three siblings approached the small group of dwarves, and two humans. Nori looked around, satisfied that there were no elves. Broc, noticing this, whispered to her. "Ye haven't changed at all, have ye, little sister?" Nori growled, then grinned at him. "Nay," she replied. "And neither have you!" She pulled the pipe from his mouth and shook it out. she hated that habit of his...

Corin approached the company. Bowing, he greeted them. "Good morrow to you, friends. I am Corin Stronghammer, and this is my brother, Broc Stronghammer, and sister, Nori... er... Nori, have you found a surname yet?" He turned to her, and she shrugged. "It hasn't come to me... I'm still ponderin' it. Just Nori will do, I guess." "...And this is our sister, Nori Traveling Dwarf, whom we haven't seen for some time! We are here to be assisting you on your..."

Broc stepped in front of him. "Cut off the flowery speech, brother. Dwarves, we're here to help!"

((OOC: sorry it's so long... or maybe not so sorry!))
Edraitheru_Melannen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 30, 2008 06:31
Yet, letting his cousin take the lead, "Good day," Regin said. "Ye be Frain? Regin, I am, and my cousin, Falin, from the Blue Mountains.

"Aye, I am Frain," replied the dwarf. "Greetings," he continued, nodding in Falin's direction, "I believe we are about ready to leave."

- And, who might ye, be?" the older dwarf inquired of the Man at his side...

"My name is Jotua," replied the man. "I will be your guide on the road to Moria and a good thing it is too or this troublesome woman might have led you all miles in the wrong direction," he continued, pointing an accusing hand at Christina as she rode towards them. "You need know nothing else about me," he said gruffly as he turned away.

"Christina at your service." she greeted the two new dwarves, before dismounting and turning to address Frain and Jotua. "Unless we're either waiting for someone else, or you're waiting for Moria to sprout up at your feet, I suggest we leave."

Jotua shot the woman a dirty look and started walking towards the road.

"I'll be over here when you are ready to leave," he told Frain. "I can not abide the presence of that woman."

Frain shook his head in disgust. This was off to a worse start than he had planned for.

"We will leave soon," he replied to Christina. "We are awaiting a few more arrivals."

Corin approached the company. Bowing, he greeted them. "Good morrow to you, friends. I am Corin Stronghammer, and this is my brother, Broc Stronghammer, and sister, Nori... er... Nori, have you found a surname yet?" He turned to her, and she shrugged. "It hasn't come to me... I'm still ponderin' it. Just Nori will do, I guess." "...And this is our sister, Nori Traveling Dwarf, whom we haven't seen for some time! We are here to be assisting you on your..."

Broc stepped in front of him. "Cut off the flowery speech, brother. Dwarves, we're here to help!"

"Alright!" Frain said. "Let's be on our way. Jotua will lead us as far as the gates. After that, we must rely on Christina."

After saying this, Frain began striding off towards the road in the same direction as Jotua.
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 04, 2008 01:49
Christina mentally thanked all the Valar that self-control was a forte of hers. One more comment, and that man shall find himself on the receiving end of a very sharp arrow, she thought.
"Trust me, the feeling is mutual." she snapped, glaring at Jotua. "However, we are going to have to put up with each other for… however long this business takes, and perhaps if you just held your tongue, it would make things easier on both of us!"
So saying, she gave a sharp tug on her horse’s reins, and led him off, only pausing long enough to mutter — just loud enough for Jotua to hear — "Stupid humans!"
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 06, 2008 05:31
((Hope this is okay - let me know if I need to edit anything. ))

Both Falin and Regin waited ‘politely’ (for Dwarves) for Frain (was it he?) to reply.
"Aye, I am Frain," replied the dwarf. "Greetings," he continued, nodding in Falin's direction, "I believe we are about ready to leave."

Nodding in response, the younger Dwarf felt excitement growing within his breast. The next ‘step’ in their journey was about to begin! Regin had spoken to the Human, and was waiting for his introduction when a young woman rode into the stableyard. Horses were something he’d never seen before reaching Bree, and were still ‘odd’ and (somewhat) ‘frightening’ creatures to him. The were so large! – Or… well… to a Dwarf, anyway.
But, as his older cousin, he waited whilst the newcomer introduced herself and then managed to get herself down from the animal. It was a ‘smooth’ effort, he thought, but…

"My name is Jotua," replied the man. "I will be your guide on the road to Moria and a good thing it is too or this troublesome woman might have led you all miles in the wrong direction," he continued, pointing an accusing hand at Christina as she rode towards them. "You need know nothing else about me," he said gruffly as he turned away.

Jotua shot the woman a dirty look and started walking towards the road.

"I'll be over here when you are ready to leave," he told Frain. "I can not abide the presence of that woman."

Watching in surprise, Falin glanced at his cousin. What had they gotten themselves into?, he wondered, as the woman led her mount off a little way. She didn‘t look any ‘happier‘ than Jotua! “We can‘t keep up with a horse!” he whispered to Regin, but, once again Frain was speaking.
"We will leave soon," he replied to Christina. "We are awaiting a few more arrivals."

“I wonder who else is coming,” Falin wondered aloud, but Regin shrugged. “We’ll see soon enough,” he replied, and looked at the lightening sky… hoping they’d not need to wait much longer.

They didn’t, as three more Dwarves came into the stable yard.

"Alright!" Frain said. "Let's be on our way. Jotua will lead us as far as the gates. After that, we must rely on Christina."

After saying this, Frain began striding off towards the road in the same direction as Jotua.

Nodding briefly, “Regin,” the older of the two from the Blue Mountains introduced himself, “And, my cousin, Falin. Come on,” he went on to his young relative, knowing there would be time for talk on the journey.

Falin, however, was *quite* surprised to see a female Dwarf had joined in this venture. But, eager to set out, he shouldered his pack and set off after the others with the steady, plodding gait of his Kind.

Glancing at Nori, though, “You’ve been traveling?” Falin inquired, and quite interested, “May I ask what places you’ve seen?”

Regin, chuckling inwardly over his much-younger cousin’s enthusiasm, looked at Broc and Corin. With a nod to them, “Falin and I are from the Blue Mountains,” he offered. “Where be ye from?” He glanced at Christina and ahead at the man, Jotua. Raising his eyebrow at Frain, “It seems they know each other,” he commented to the dwarf leader. “D’ye think there’ll be any trouble between ‘em?”

[Edited on 6/5/2008 by gwendeth]
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 06, 2008 10:20
Glancing at Nori, though, “You’ve been traveling?” Falin inquired, and quite interested, “May I ask what places you’ve seen?”

Nori smiled at the young dwarf- not long an adult. "Aye, laddie, I've been here and there... this is my second journey to Bree, and I've been to Rohan, Gondor, and the like. I've fought goblins, wargs, and other nastie beasties..." She grinned as she rubbed the axe head of her walking-axe. "I take it this is yer first time away from home, then?" At his affirmative answer, she reasurred him. "Ye'll catch on soon enough, laddie."

Regin, chuckling inwardly over his much-younger cousin’s enthusiasm, looked at Broc and Corin. With a nod to them, “Falin and I are from the Blue Mountains,” he offered. “Where be ye from?” He glanced at Christina and ahead at the man, Jotua. Raising his eyebrow at Frain, “It seems they know each other,” he commented to the dwarf leader. “D’ye think there’ll be any trouble between ‘em?”
Corin bowed slightly, his scrolls rustling together as he did so. "Broc and I are lately from the Iron Hills, and our sister from Erebor, last we heard."

Broc, hearing the comment to Frain, nodded in agreement- the humans seemed to be nothing but trouble to each other, and the dwarves. He would not trust them untill they proved themselves.
Edraitheru_Melannen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2008 09:26

Frain nodded. "Aye, that is the one sure thing about this journey. I have heard of this man Jotua, he is a loner, would rather be left alone. If that woman keeps pestering him so, they may come to blows." Glancing ahead to where Jotua stood, he continued, "Perhaps that would not be so bad. It might rid us of one or the other. Sometimes I wonder why I even hire these humans. So prone to violence against their own kind..." His voice trailed off.

Frain just did not understand how the Humans could be so cruel to their own kind. There might be other dwarves who's company he did not keep, but to hate his own people was unthinkable. He set off at a steady gait towards the road leading east out of Bree where Jotua was waiting.

He called back to Christina, "You know that horse will not be able to come with us in to the mines, do you not? Why not leave it here? I am sure the stable hands will care for him just fine until we return."

Turning back to the road, he continued on. He despised horses. These Humans were mysteries to him. Why their own two legs were not good enough to carry them across this land he would never know.

A brown and red feathered form shot down out of the sky and circled low over the travelers. After taking a second dive at Christina's horse, it glided off towards the east again.

Jotua stood by the side of the road, apparently laughing to himself. 'That will teach her,' he though to himself. Seeing the rest beginning to follow, he set off down the road. He may have been hired to be a guide, but that did not mean he had to spend time with these dwarves and even worse, that woman. He would stay within sight and give them instructions when needed, but for now, he stayed well ahead of the group.

----------

Hate-fillled eyes gleamed in the flicker of torchlight. Water dripped in the background. This area of the mines was always wet as water trickled down the walls on several sides of the chamber. Grak sat on wooden chair, he never did like the feel of stone. Soon, soon, he would be able to breathe the fresh air whenever he wanted.

A messenger entered the room.

"What is it?" Grak snapped in annoyance at the interruption.

"They are coming back. They have decided to take back what they consider to be theirs," the messenger blurted out.

"Slow down!" Grak demanded angrily. "Who is coming and why would come here of all places?"

"The dwarves," replied the messenger, now out of breath. "They have decided to return and attempt to make this place their home again."

Grak pounded the wood of the chair in frustration and it groaned in protest. It would probably collapse one of these days and then he would have to wait until a large surface foray was possible to get a new one. That was how the days went in the mines. Their raids brought in barely enough food to make it by, let alone grow.

That had been the strategy of Grak's ancestors. Wait and grow stronger here in the deep dark, away from prying eyes. That way, when the darkness returned they would be ready to serve. Little had they expected what lurked in the depths. Their responsibility was different now, much more important, but soon, it would all pay off.

The messenger stood there, beady eyes darting around. Not even bothering to ask what his name was, Grak sent him on down the tunnel and told him to keep going deeper. Grak knew she was hungry. She always was and this messenger was an annoyance. The messenger obeyed quickly, running off down the passage. with his torch. The guards flanking the door looked at each other and grinned evilly. They knew what fate awaited those sent down the passage.

Grak ordered one of the guards over.

"Have a patrol sent out," he demanded, "I want to know everything about this group of would-be conquerors. Everything!"

The guard hurried to obey, fearing that he might be the next victim...

[Edited on 9/5/2008 by Edraitheru_Melannen]

[Edited on 9/5/2008 by Edraitheru_Melannen]
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 15, 2008 05:11
((hope this is all right - I'm afraid I couldn't come up with too much. If I need to edit anything, just let me know...))

Nori smiled at the young dwarf- not long an adult. "Aye, laddie, I've been here and there... this is my second journey to Bree, and I've been to Rohan, Gondor, and the like. I've fought goblins, wargs, and other nastie beasties..." She grinned as she rubbed the axe head of her walking-axe. "I take it this is yer first time away from home, then?"

Was he *that* ‘obvious’? Falin groused inwardly, but nodded, “’Tis,” he replied.
At his affirmative answer, she reasurred him. "Ye'll catch on soon enough, laddie."

“Catch on to what?” the young Dwarf inquired - both curious and interested in what she meant…

Regin’s rumbling chuckle was heard, but he was awaiting a response from Nori’s brothers - as well as the leader of this group.
Corin bowed slightly, his scrolls rustling together as he did so. "Broc and I are lately from the Iron Hills, and our sister from Erebor, last we heard."

Frain nodded. "Aye, that is the one sure thing about this journey. I have heard of this man Jotua, he is a loner, would rather be left alone. If that woman keeps pestering him so, they may come to blows." Glancing ahead to where Jotua stood, he continued, "Perhaps that would not be so bad. It might rid us of one or the other. Sometimes I wonder why I even hire these humans. So prone to violence against their own kind..." His voice trailed off.

Broc, hearing the comment to Frain, nodded in agreement

“Are they really?” Falin jumped in, whilst Frain called to Christina about her horse.

“I haven’t been around them much,” Regin offered and watched as a hawk appeared to fly over the horse and then disappeared again. “Huh,” he mumbled, and then watched the surly-seeming human head up the road… Frain following not far behind. He looked back though, curious to see what Christina was going to do about her horse. - But, Frain was right, he knew… the mines of Moria were no place for an animal that size…

“You must know a lot about them,” Falin then commented… or asked, of Nori and her two brothers as they followed after Jotua and Frain. “Humans, I mean,” he went on. “ - Do you?”
Halrohir
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2008 02:57
The quickening light of dawn gave way to the promise of a warm and comfortable day, sparing the chills of the evening damp from tired bones and feet. The heavy blanket draped across the mule’s back served to warm the animal on his way, and also muffled the clanking of metal and other objects strapped to the voluminous saddlebags. If there’s one thing I don’t want to be again, thought the Dwarf who guided the mule along the path to the inn, that’s mistaken for a peddler! Mahal’s tongs, but that last town just would not let me be…

The two seeming vagabonds approached the southern gate of Bree, as the light of the morning filled the eastern sky. The gatekeeper stood in the open gateway, barring the road but not in a gruff manner – the man was actually pleasant, and it showed in his greeting.

“Hullo, and who might you be, little master?” the gatekeeper asked.

The Dwarf, pleased at the courtesy, stopped his mule before the gate and bowed, his russet beard nearly sweeping the ground, even as it passed over his round belly. “Greetings, master gatekeeper. Bragin the Dwarf, at your service. I am bound for the Inn of the Prancing Pony, where I might find fodder for both me and this idiot”, he said with a thump on the mule’s shoulder. “How much farther shall I walk?”

The gatekeeper grinned at the naming of the mule. “Not far at all, master”, he replied, “straight down the road until you come to the largest building on your right, the sign will show you plain off.”

“Many thanks”, Bragin replied, another bow following, “and may the day find you with light labor! Come, Chisel, jog along now,” he said as he tugged on the mule’s halter, the beast reluctantly walking forward. Passing through the gate, they followed the road west and around the base of Bree Hill until the largest building came into view.

All during the walk, Bragin took note of the townsfolk and the local people with interest, but not half as much as he enjoyed appraising the architecture of the buildings. Most of Breeland was of wood and daub construction, he noted; good use of local materials, as well as some stonework that was in too many places, poorly contrived. Coming as he had from the great southern realms of Rohan and Gondor, he knew he was unfairly judging this simple, but ancient town – indeed, Bree was one of the oldest settled lands of Middle-earth. To have had buildings last this long spoke well of the inhabitants and the care of their homes.

Bragin also reviewed what he had heard on his way north, and the reason for his venture into the Northern Realm of Arnor. Word had spread by way of the messengers reaching the colony at Aglarond of Durin VII’s ambition, as the news of the attempt to re-take Khazad-dûm was shared throughout the Dwarven communities and colonies. Bragin had begged leave, and gotten it, from the Dwarf-lord Gimli of the Nine Walkers, to seek out and offer his services to such a quest. For in addition to being an architect of skill, Bragin also had other knowledge he might share with this expedition.

As he traveled north along the King’s Greenway these last few weeks, Bragin passed other small bands of Dwarves, hurrying north and west to seek out the one called Frain, whom the King of the Longbeards had chosen to lead the colony. And he got news from them, as well; news that caused him to hasten to Bree with as much speed as he could urge out of Chisel and his own two feet. The decision to travel light paid off well, for Bragin had arrived ahead of the other bands by at least a day, having no large baggage train to manage.

Bragin now drew close to the Inn, and turning the bend on the street saw the stable and paddock of the Inn, which was obviously the Pony, the gaudy sign proclaiming the inn’s name hanging in the still morning air. Hailing a stable boy, he found that yes, a party of Dwarves and their guides had only just departed that morning, and should not have gotten far down the road, if the good master dwarf is desiring to catch them up...

Quickly seeing that Chisel had been watered, Bragin set out to overtake the expedition, puffing a little as the morning gave way to the day's heat. As he left the gate once more, the gatekeeper scratched his head in curiosity as the Dwarf and mule jogged along the Road, making up lost time at a steady pace.

Bragin's effort was rewarded, for after an hour of hurried pace, he saw a small plume of dust rising beneath marching feet; the Dwarven expedition was just up ahead. As he looked, Bragin saw the party included two Men – a man and a woman, actually – and a number of fully-armed Dwarven warriors. And one of them was… a dame! A Dwarf-dame! He had found his destination, and just in the nick of chance, it would seem; the party appeared to be slowing. He called out cheerfully to the others.

“Halloo and good day to you, good Dwarves!” Bragin called out. “Glad I am to see you. Bragin is my name, son of Borin, at your service and your family’s. I seek Frain of Erebor, and I would offer my service to him. Where might I find him?”

[Edited on 6/9/2008 by Halrohir]
Edraitheru_Melannen
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2008 06:39
Frain wondered if this motley group of mercenaries would be enough to conquer whatever still dwelt in what was once the great city of Khazad-dum. Hoping that perhaps more might yet be journeying to assist in this cause, he turned his eyes back down the stretch of road outside the town. His glance was rewarded by the sight of a short figure, obviously a dwarf, following them at a quick pace.

Frain called out to the group, stopping them for a moment so that the newcomer could catch up without sapping too much of his stamina. As the figure drew nearer, Frain realized that this dwarf was not your normal warrior AND he had a donkey with him. The newcomer called out...

“Halloo and good day to you, good Dwarves!” Bragin called out. “Glad I am to see you. Bragin is my name, son of Borin, at your service and your family’s. I seek Frain of Erebor, and I would offer my service to him. Where might I seek him?”

"I am he," called out Frain. "Be you willing to travel into the depths of Moria? If so, you are most welcome to join us though I would ask what you have to offer to our group. You do not appear to me to be a warrior. We already have one scholar, but perhaps another would not be so bad? Or be ye of a different trade?"

--------------------------------------------------------------

About a week passes during which time the group crosses the Fords of Bruinen and then travel south towards Moria. The tension between Jotua and Christina continues to rise until it can be contained no longer...

"I refuse to work this woman!" Jotua shouted in Frain's face angrily. "If she stays, then I leave now, pay or not! Make your choice."

Frain nodded at him, "You may stay," he said quietly. "I had hoped it would not come to this, but you are known to be a good guide, temper or not."

He motioned at Christina to come forward.

When she drew her horse up beside him, Frain calmly said, "I am sorry, but I cannot continue to keep you in my service. Perhaps you may find work elsewhere. In any case, here is the weeks pay that I owe you. Please take it and accept my apologies that you could not continue with us."

Frain proffered a small bag of coins and, after the woman took it, continued on south toward Moria following Jotua.

Christina watched as the group grew smaller in the distance before turning her horse back up the road and heading back to Bree.

------------------------------------------------------

Throughout the next few days, Frain could swear he was catching glimpses of figures moving in the trees. Some were dark and quick to disappear. Once he caught a flash of golden coloring which vanished in an instant. Needless to say, he was on his guard when the attack struck.

Ten orcs burst out of the woods at the party. Three headed toward Jotua who appeared to be the leader. Two more each headed toward Broc, Corin and Nori bringing up the rear whilst the rest engaged the remainder of the group.

Jotua turned quickly, sword leaving its sheath faster than the eye could follow to parry a blow aimed at his head. He put his other hand to his mouth and whistled sharply as the three orcs tried to encircle him. He fended off two more blows, barely managing to keep the three orcs in front of him. Wondering what on earth they were doing here, he parried another blow frantically. A brown and red blur struck one of the orcs in the back of the neck. Turning to search for its new foe, the orc found nothing, but air.

The other two both struck at Jotua simultaneously. He instinctively parried the killing blow at his neck, knowing that the other would strike his legs cleanly, but the orc swinging low suddenly stood straight up, a look of surprise on its face, before falling forward with a green fletched arrow in its back. Seeing his comrade fall, the other orc attacking Jotua ran off into the woods near the road. Jotua quickly dispatched the third orc that was now staggering wildly from loss of blood.

Frain could see that Jotua was having trouble, but there was nothing he could do. He must help out the Stronghammers who were beset by all, but one of the remaining orcs. Catching a quick glimpse of a figure at the edge of the trees drawing a bow, he prepared for the worst, but was surprised to see the arrow take an orc instead of one of the band. That is when he noticed the long golden hair held behind the figure's head and knew it was a friend of some sort.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grash'la cursed at his band's foolishness. He had told them to wait, he knew the hunter was nearby, but they, like the fools they were had rushed into the clearing and were even now likely being slaughtered. He had watched the hunter bring down his second in command. That accursed creature had killed half his band in the previous few days. Grash'la was beginning to wish he had met his end on the field of battle. He was certain that his master would not be happy by the report he brought and the soldiers he had lost. In any case, the dwarves were near and were about to gain a powerful ally...
gwendeth
Send Message
on: June 14, 2008 05:38
“Halloo and good day to you, good Dwarves!” Bragin called out. “Glad I am to see you. Bragin is my name, son of Borin, at your service and your family’s. I seek Frain of Erebor, and I would offer my service to him. Where might I seek him?”

"I am he," called out Frain. "Be you willing to travel into the depths of Moria? If so, you are most welcome to join us though I would ask what you have to offer to our group. You do not appear to me to be a warrior. We already have one scholar, but perhaps another would not be so bad? Or be ye of a different trade?"

At hearing a voice calling from behind them, Falin stopped and turned to watch as the newest-come Dwarf caught up with the group. - And, he was quite curious as to how this Bragin would answer Frain.

Regin chuckled indulgently at his cousin’s eagerness, but then looked at Corin. “Two Dwarven scholars?” he commented, but then waited for his turn to introduce himself and Falin to Bragin. “We be of the Firebeards of Tumunzahar,” he explained. “We be few in number there now - but we’re hardy!” Regin added. The more Dwarves they had the better, he thought, and wondered to himself if this small number would be enough to rebuild the Dwarrowdelf…

~@~@~@~

Over the next days, the Dwarves plodded steadily eastward… crossing the Bruinen and then turning south toward the western gate of Moria. As they went, Falin (with his youth) became more excited. He talked to anyone who’d answer him - Nori mostly, for he’d not ever heard of any female of his kind going out and about like she had.

Occasionally, Regin would tell his younger relative to hold his tongue, and kept his chatting mostly for the evenings when they’d set up camp.

He inquired of Frain as to what had spurred their leader into undertaking this venture; and of Bragin what had led him to join the group. For himself, “Seeing the Phurunargian thriving once again, my friend! The Dwarrowdelf deserves to have Dwarves living there again…”

The only irritation he felt (and discussed quietly with Falin when the other complained about it), was the constant tension between their guide and Christina… and both cousins felt a measure of relief when she and her horse left in a cloud of dust…

‘Thank Aulë!’ Falin thought… and was prepared to enjoy (except for Jotua’s grumpiness) the rest of the journey. The *last* thing he expected, though, was a sudden attack by orcs.

But, attack they did, one evening after the sun had set (since they so hated the light of day) - just as the Dwarves were setting up their night’s encampment. Startled and (honestly to himself) frightened, Falin gripped the handle of his mattock and gaped at the ugly beasts before having to swing at the one who charged him. But then, he’d never had to fight before, and was really sure of what he was doing.

Quickly yanking out his axe, Regin swung hard, sinking the blade deep into an orc’s leg, and found himself fighting side-by-side with Bragin. “Nasty creatures!” he yelled, ducking a blow and giving a quick nod of thanks to the other Dwarf for dispatching it. “Falin!” he then yelled, seeing his cousin had been knocked to the ground.

“I’m fine!” the younger Dwarf growled, and then looked for Nori, Corin and Broc as he scrambled to his feet.

The Stronghammers were fighting too, but having been on the nearest side to their attackers, he saw the three in the midst of six orcs circling them. Frain had gone to help, and Falin saw their leader charge in at the two facing Nori. “Come on!” Regin then yelled to himself and to Bragin, and ran forward to help Frain with distracting the orcs from their targets.

The battle didn’t last much longer, and breathing heavily, Regin brushed the blood and sweat from his brow, and turned to look at a nasty slice that Falin had received in his side. “Anyone else hurt?” he asked, searching for a piece of cloth to bind it.
Halrohir
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 18, 2008 04:36
“Halloo and good day to you, good Dwarves!” Bragin called out. “Glad I am to see you. Bragin is my name, son of Borin, at your service and your family’s. I seek Frain of Erebor, and I would offer my service to him. Where might I find him?”
Bragin was glad of the halt, as his jog to catch up to the expedition took a little wind out of him. Regaining his composure, he tugged at Chisel’s harness, and the pair walked closer, letting the curious eyes roam over the mound of gear the mule bore without complaint. As Bragin walked, he heard Regin’s salute,
“We be of the Firebeards of Tumunzahar,” he explained. “We be few in number there now - but we’re hardy!” Regin added.
and turned to Regin and Falin.

“Hardy indeed are the folk of Tumunzahar, the Hollowbold of the Blue Mountains!” He bowed, and said, “All of our strength shall be of use in the months ahead, and glad I would be to know it is at my side!” He twitched back the blanket before beginning his tale, revealing scroll cases, two odd-looking wooden cases of polished oak, and tools of the mining trade: shovel and pickax, maul and mattock, oil lamps, and what appeared to be pans and plates of tin and steel.

“Are we not all warriors at need, brother?” Bragin said with a grin. “But though all of our folk know the way of the axe and the blade, these are not the tools by which Khazad-dum was hewn from the living rock. For I am not only warrior, but I am an Architect, a hewer of stone and wood! Word of your expedition has gone far and wide among all of the children of Mahal, even to the halls of Gimli at Algarond, from whence I come.” Bragin looked around at the assembled Dwarves, seeing recognition in not a few faces at the name of the Dwarf-hero. He took this as a good sign, and led Chisel to a place near Frain in the line of march, speaking further as he walked on, confident he was now an accepted member of the company.

“I was apprenticed to Tamar of Erebor, the Master Architect for Dain Ironfoot”, Bragin continued, “and learned my craft at my master’s hammer. And when Gimli undertook the labor for the King of Men, I went south to Gondor with him, along with many of our folk. I aided in the rebuilding of the White City after the great wars, and I was working with rock and metal throughout the realm. And it is because of that labor, that I might aid you especially, good Frain…”

“You see, the gates of the White City were re-cast in steel and mithril, after the Witch-King broke them at battle’s dawn. And to acquire the mithril needed, Gimli led an expedition back to Khazad-dum, to reopen the vein of the true-silver, the one place in all the lands where it might still be found. So, not only may I serve you well with my skills and tools, but I also may serve you with my knowledge of the vein itself! You seek to re-enter Khazad-dum by the old Western Gate, or by the East-gate of Azanulbizar? I can aid you further, for I have knowledge of the conditions of both entrances!”

@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@

The march of the expedition went on day by day, passing east along the Great Road and crossing the Ford of Bruinen before turning south towards the mountains of Moria. At the halt that first night, Bragin had struck up a lively conversation with the young Dwarf, Falin, who sat in rapt attention with Bragin’s tales of his adventures in Gondor and rohan, and the journey north to meet the expedition. He noted Regin’s courtesy and curiosity at his travels, and when asked about why he came to join the company, he made reply:
“Seeing the Phurunargian thriving once again, my friend! The Dwarrowdelf deserves to have Dwarves living there again…”
“And so it shall, good Regin, so it shall!” Bragin exclaimed. “And to make it a place of light and song once more, is my goal as well. Imagine it: the great roaring hearths warming the halls and driving the dark and gloom away; the aromas of beer and beef and woodsmoke, and the laughter and song ringing in the halls; the music of hammer and chisel and tongs filling the deep places, craft and cunning and workmanship on display for all to admire and envy once again! These are the things which will follow, once the axe and spear do their work!”

The family Stronghammer were a puzzlement, especially the presence of the Dwarf-dame, Nori. Only in great need or portent did the women of the Dwarves go abroad, but this one seemed to have no need beyond her own spirit. Bragin found that to be compelling, and appealing; but seeing how her brothers, Broc and Corin always looked askance at her, he wondered if there wasn’t some other, deeper reason for her wanderings…

But it was the case of the two humans, Jotua and Christina, which made Bragin most curious of all. The tension and conflict between them could be tasted on the air. Bragin was not surprised when Frain dismissed the contrary woman with a purse and a wave. What surprised him, was the fact he retained her for so long. He secretly admired the stoicism of the man, as well as his companionship with the bird that shadowed their march. He hoped to engage him in at least some conversation, soon.

One night in camp saw Bragin setting up camp with the rest, a small audience of Dwarves around him, who peppered him with questions about himself and his trade as he worked. Chisel was tethered nearby, all his burden spread out upon the blanket to allow him rest. Bragin’s own bedroll was next to the pile, as he kept a close watch on his tools and gear.

It was at that minute when harsh cries broke out, and the stench and odor of Orc-flesh assaulted their nostrils. Bragin looked up, making out through the press of Dwarves rushing about that there were not many of the attackers, but they could do great damage in any case. Bragin rushed over to Chisel, and began rummaging through his gear until his hands found the tool he wanted, the tool best suited for the job.

The three Stronghammers were hard at fighting the orcs that assailed them, but they were holding on. Other Orcs began approaching the baggage train, and the precious supplies and gear the expedition brought. As one Orc rushed the food cache, a loud THAAAK! slapped from its back and it arched in agony, a black dart quivering through its armor as it pitched forward, crashing to the ground and not getting up again.

Bragin nodded, satisfied of his aim, and he bent forward, his belly getting in the way of bending enough to recock the iron crossbow. Sticking his foot through the front stirrup, he straightened, drawing the wound steel cable which served as a bowstring into position; he quickly inserted the bolt he held clenched in his teeth, and stood up, scanning the fight for his next target. His eyes widened in horror as he saw an Orc with a chain in its hands, bearing down on his beloved Chisel, clearly seeking to drag off the mule! Without thought, the crossbow came up, SPANG! the mechanism let fly with the deadly bolt, and Bragin was rewarded with the sight of the orc’s head exploding under the impact of the steel bolt, as it drove pieces of the metal helmet into the dying orc’s skull.

Bragin leapt over the carcass and came up short to Chisel, whom he saw had the orc-chain wrapped around his neck, but nothing else out of place. Heedless of the sounds of battle around him, he unslung the chain and sought to calm and comfort the braying beast. As the mule’s cries stilled, Bragin then looked around him; the fight appeared to be over, and none of the expedition appeared to be seriously injured, though a number of dark bodies strewn about paid tribute to the valor of the defense. Bragin shouldered the crossbow, patted Chisel on his muzzle after feeding him a few roots, and went off in search of Frain and the others, to find out how they fared.
Edraitheru_Melannen
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2008 11:28
Frain grunted as hauled an orc body to the side of the road. This was why he despised fighting so much. The cleanup was a horrible, messy affair. Already, flies and terrible smells were beginning to gather about the bodies of the fallen orcs. He had asked the StrongHammers to help him with this as Regin bound up Falin's wound and the newest member, Bragin, saw to his mule and the supplies.

Frain, having reached the pile, heaved the body up on top of the others. He had counted 9 bodies, but there had been 10 orcs. One had escaped... No doubt this would cause them no end of trouble in the future. He still did not know who their mysterious ally was. He had vanished quickly into the trees after seeing the party could handle the rest of the orcs.

Brushing at dried orc blood on his shirt, Frain wondered whether the stain would ever come out. Where was that human? Jotua had disappeared as well soon after the fight, presumably chasing the orc that had escaped. Frain doubted that Jotua would find him. The orc just had too much of a head start.

-------------------

Jotua slowed out of his dead run, breathing heavily. He swung his fist at a nearby shrub, drawing a few scratches for his trouble. There was no way he could catch the orc. It just had too large of a lead on him by the time the fight was finished.

He turned in disgust and headed back towards where the group had made camp.

---------------------

Frain watched the smoke rising from the pile of orc bodies. They deserved no burial, but the group could not just leave the bodies to rot and cause more harm. Burning was the only good way to go about disposing of them. Hearing twigs crackle behind him, Frain whipped around to see a tall figure standing at the edge of the woods.

Frain shuffled nervously as the stranger approached. He recognized the figure from earlier, but he would still rather have his axe in hand. As the figure drew closer to the flickering flames, Frain could make out more of the features.

Long, fair hair was tied back from a face covered in numerous scars. Frain recognized an elf when he saw one, but this one did not have the air of a normal elf. The features were slightly different. The figure greeted Frain in the words of men, his sharp features made even more so by the shadows cast from the corpse-fire.

"I am Edraitheru," the elf said. "If you require the services of a seasoned warrior, I offer my bow and my sword. All that I require is food, a little money and orcs to slay."

Frain stood staring shocked, before finally muttering, "This way, we have food in the camp, we can discuss more there."

The elf followed as Frain walked back towards the camp about a quarter mile up the road where the smell of the battle would not reach them.

----------------------------------

Jotua stumbled wearily back into the camp, pulled a bit of food out of his sack and began to eat. However, his hand stopped halfway to his mouth as he saw Frain walk into the camp leading a figure that was obviously an elf. Jotua watched in curiosity as Frain and the elf seated themselves at the fire with the rest of the group.

Wondering what other surprises this night would bring, he continued munching on some dried meat.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: June 21, 2008 05:03
The fight was over, and Falin (for one) was incredibly relieved. Regin was careful in binding his wound, but the younger Dwarf was curious to see Frain and the Stronghammers dragging the dead orcs into a pile on the side of the road. “What’re they doing?” he inquired of his cousin. “Can’t just leave them,” Regin replied, and grimaced beneath his beard at the stench.

Of Jotua there was no sign, but after the pile was set aflame, the group moved off some little distance to make camp upwind of the smell.

They were seated around a fire of a much ‘nicer’ nature, when Regin noticed Frain walking off into the woods… to return shortly in the company of an elf! Blinking in surprise, Falin wondered what the others would think. Nori, from the brief conversations he’s had with her so far, he knew, despised elf-kind, but he wasn’t much sure of her brothers. *He* had never met an elf before… but knowing how his own people felt about them, he felt rather uneasy.

With a glance to the scholar-dwarf, “What do you think, Bragin?” Falin inquired. “D’ye think we can trust him?” and jerked his head toward where Frain and Edraitheru (as he’d been introduced) seemed to be deep in conversation. - A conversation that (when he finally stretched out on the ground to sleep) appeared destined to last well into the night.

Regin, watching the elf, said nothing… deciding to reserve judgment until he knew why Edraitheru had come. Perhaps Frain would tell them in the morning, he thought. He saw Jotua rejoining the group then, and wondered if the Human had taken care of the escaped orc. “Did you kill it?” he called, hoping the man had.

Falin only glanced at Jotua, but seeing the elf reminded of something that Bragin had said several days ago. Addressing Bragin again, “You said you were in the Algarond with Gimli?” he asked. “What is he like?” the young Dwarf went on, his eyes bright with eagerness to know more about the Dwarf-hero of legend. "He had an elf-friend - didn’t he? Did you see *him* as well?”

The Great Gates of Minas Tirith were many days behind the lone rider - and before him (as had been since he’d begun his journey) stretched the Great West Road. Blond hair that was beginning to turn grey at the roots fell down the man’s back, and blue eyes squinted against the setting sun. Garments which had seen ‘better’ days he was wearing - but mostly, because they were comfortable.

For, Aervon of Gondor cared little what others might think of him. He’d earned the respect of many… a strong soldier and commander in the King’s service, the tall man had decided it was time to pass on his authority to a younger man… and for himself to seek what else in Middle Earth might be of interest to a man nearing his fourth decade.

Edoras he’d left behind him that morning, after spending a few days in Rohan’s capital city, though, Aervon was again ready to move on. He was yet undecided as to his next stop, though. Lothlorien was a possibility… as was Rivendell. - Or, perhaps, a brief look-in at Laketown would be interesting?

Musing on it for a while, Aervon decided he would turn northward on the western side of the Hithaeglir. He could pass by the ruins of Moria, and then look in on the elves of Rivendell before continuing on into the Eryn Lasgalen.

Pleased with his choice, the Gondorian guided his strawberry-roan stallion off to the side of the road. After caring for his horse, the former soldier patted his mount’s neck. “Rest, Alfar,” Aervon told him, though the day’s ride had been no strain. For himself, Aervon lit a small fire and chewed on a piece of the dried meat he’d brought with him. A night’s sleep was then all he cared about… the morning would come soon enough and once again Aervon would be on his way…
Halrohir
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2008 03:58
Bragin found Frain after the ambush and upon seeing there were no serious injuries to the expedition, offered to see to the supplies and the baggage train. As he made his way through the camp, he took the time to retrieve the two bolts he fired at the attackers, seeing they were still useable; he cleaned them off and stowed them in the short quiver with the crossbow, and set about his task.

Chisel, thankfully, had suffered no injury, nor did any other of the animals they had. The food cache was intact, as were the water casks. But the find of the night, for Bragin at least, was the sudden bounty of metal to be had, courtesy of the orcs themselves. Their weapons were typical orc-fashion: ancient sword and dagger, pitted and rusted, that even a first-season apprentice Dwarven ironmonger could best. But in Bragin’s eyes, these were the raw material for better things. He could see hammer and chisel, nail and ring, plier and pincer, all in these bent and broken shards that he gleaned from the dead and stowed in one of Chisel’s empty saddlebags. Even the chain that the orc would have used to abduct his faithful mule would be used, and he coiled it into a tight heavy hank and found a place for it in turn.

After the pyre had burned down and the camp moved upwind to avoid the reek, Bragin seated himself once more in the company of the others, when he followed Regin’s gaze and saw Frain enter the circle, in the company of an elf, of all things! The newcomer had the look of the Silvan Elves he had known from his time in Gondor, the look of those who followed Prince Legolas in the woods of Ithilien.

With a glance to the scholar-dwarf, “What do you think, Bragin?” Falin inquired. “D’ye think we can trust him?” and jerked his head toward where Frain and Edraitheru (as he’d been introduced) seemed to be deep in conversation.

“I have trusted Elves before, youngling,” Bragin said in reply, “though I’ve met only a few. For the most part, they’re not trusting of us, but then, we’re not trusting of others, either. Let his deeds speak for him, and trust will follow. But I have known Elves to be courteous folk, when need demands, and we shall do no less.”

Falin only glanced at Jotua, but seeing the elf reminded of something that Bragin had said several days ago. Addressing Bragin again, “You said you were in the Algarond with Gimli?” he asked. “What is he like?” the young Dwarf went on, his eyes bright with eagerness to know more about the Dwarf-hero of legend. "He had an elf-friend - didn’t he? Did you see *him* as well?”

“Ah, now you touch on something, youngling,” Bragin said, smiling. “Gimli son of Gloin is a grand figure of a Dwarf, and no mistake. A Dwarf’s heart, and a poet’s soul, and wisdom gleaned from long travel. He is fierce in his loyalties, as well as his grievances, and that is how a Dwarf should be. And yes, once I saw Prince Legolas, while working in my tasks in the White City. Fair and tall, his eyes bearing the ever-mounting burden of the years, like all his kind, but as merry as youth in spring. This new one, here, seems to be of the same stock, but not the same bearing. Time and speech will tell.

“Young Falin, you seem to be unlike your kin, and I mark that”, Bragin said. “While it’s plain you have not traveled abroad, what IS plain to see, is that you are curious, and eager to learn about what you see. That will serve you in good stead, but it is something to be used wisely. As my master Tamar once told me, ‘The question is the key that unlocks the box to the treasure of wisdom’. I never forgot that, and neither I think, should you.”

Bragin watched for Falin’s reaction, hoping to see something in the young dwarf’s eye, maybe to ponder what he just learned. And he also watched Frain’s conduct with the stranger elf. But also, Bragin looked for one especial in the crowd and company; where was Nori?
Merides
Humor Admin
Send Message
on: July 01, 2008 12:12
For the first time in two decades, the Stronghammers fought as a team. They formed a triangle, Corin fighting with his long axe, Broc with his hammer, and Nori throwing whatever came from her armour- be it a small axe, a knife, or a rock. Corin fought cleanly- not a spec of blood could touch his precious scrolls. Broc smashed whatever came in his way. Nori went into a battle rage, her eyes seeing only the enemy.

It had been far too long since they had fought together.

A bonfire of their enemies' bodies burned hot and bright in the warm air. Nori stood near it, contemplating the battle. She minded not the stink of the corpses, for it informed her she'd done well. But what could she have done better? She knew that six orcs could have overtaken her, yet she had still let herself fall into the battle rage. She knew better.

She cleaned her many axes, stowing them in her armor in various places. Her favorite throwing axe had been chipped on an orc's helmet. He had paid with his life. The thought brought a grim smile to her face. Another orc had pulled her beard, though, and the smile reminded her of the pain. She winced slightly and rubbed her jaw. It would take a few months for the hair to fully grow back.

"Sister, are you coming to join us upwind?" Corin laid a hand on her shoulder. He was concerned about her, having missed their conversations from childhood. He wanted her nearby, wanted to get to know the older Nori.

"Nay, Cor. I'll stay here and join ye later. I'm fine, thank ye." Corin shrugged and let his sister be. She had changed a bit in 20 years, that was sure. He used to be her confidante. Perhaps they would eventually regain what was lost, but not today. He trudged off to join the others.

Broc was seated with the group when Frain came in, with an elf of all things! He immediately stood up, spluttering, when Corin walked behind him and pushed him back to a sitting position. "Quiet, Broc. Things have changed since the War of the Ring. Elves and Dwarves need to get along. This is the new way." Broc mumbled something about never trusting elves, but he sat, for now. He vented his frustration by glaring at the elf. It was not enough, but it'd do for now. He'd get with his sister and decide what to do later.

Nori turned from the fire, making her way to the others, when she saw the elf. She stopped dead in her tracks, staring for a moment, then turned away. She would have nothing to do with an elf. They were... well... elves! They had imprisoned Thorin Oakensheild's company without cause... They had blindfolded the dwarf Gimli in their horrible forest with the Elven Queen, and, for Aule's sake, they hated the mines! She would rather fight wargs all day than be in the company of an elf again. She'd had enough of elves.

Walking off, she sat at the treeline. She'd stay there, as far away from the elf-loving group as possible. There was no reason for an elf to go to Khazad-Dum. No reason at all.
Edraitheru_Melannen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 04, 2008 09:46
Edraitheru sat next to the dwarf Frain. Soon, the two were deeply engaged in conversation. The dwarf asked many questions, most of which Edraitheru answered. He had told Frain that his childhood had been hard. He had spoken of his father's death to Warg riders and of his mother's death as well. That is something this dwarf would not understand. To live among a people who did not die of old age, yet to see your mother overcome with such. Edraitheru was only half-elven, his mother being of the human race.

After his father had died, Edraitheru had lived as a warrior and nothing else. Nothing else could quench - or feed - the anger, sadness and fear he carried. So, he told the dwarf of how he spent his life hunting orcs wherever they could be found. He had never gotten over his father's death. The combination of human emotions and the memory of an elf had been hard on him. Hurts were not easily forgotten and perhaps even more deeply felt.

Far into the night, Edraitheru told of his wanderings. He told of how he had fought in the War of the Ring. He told of how he had hunted those orcs that remained afterwards. It had been hard, the war had destroyed most as Sauron had called all his servants to himself. Edraitheru knew, though, that others remained, now bound to another master. He had been hunting and tracking them, and at last discovered where they dwelt. Now, he was looking for a way to kill them all and the dwarf band had provided him with that opportunity.

-----------

Jotua awoke in the morning to a terrible stench of rotten and burnt flesh. The wind had changed directions and the fire that had been downwind the previous night was still smoldering and now wafting its terrible smell towards the camp.

He rubbed his eyes and stretched quickly. Seeing Frain emerge from his blanket, Jotua ambled over to the dwarf.

"You have a question?" Frain asked as Jotua stood there.

"Why is this elf joining us?" Jotua asked. He had never trusted those elves.

"All will be explained shortly," Frain answered.

Jotua shook his head in disgust and walked off.

Frain smiled as he pulled a small bundle out of his pack. This would be sure to wake any who were not already up. The group needed to meet. Pulling the war horn out of its wrapping, Frain blew a long, loud blast and waited for the others to emerge.

--------------

Edraitheru was walking through a misty forest. He could smell the orc that had escaped. Suddenly he broke out into the open. So, the orc had entered Moria... He followed it in, heedless of any danger. He followed it quickly to the smaller, deeper passages. He could feel a presence up ahead, like something huge looming in the blackness. He stopped and listened. He could hear a horn blowing and recognized the sound. It was a war horn.

He woke with a start, taking a moment to recognize his surroundings. He was still in the dwarf camp... Had the orcs come back?! He grabbed his sword from his side and looked quickly around to see Frain removing the horn from his lips. The dwarf motioned him over and asked him to sit and wait for the others.

[Edited on 4/7/2008 by Edraitheru_Melannen]
gwendeth
Send Message
on: July 05, 2008 04:36
Surprised that an elf had (seemingly) chosen to join their group… or, at least, to deign to even speak to a Dwarf, young Falin had asked Bragin about the Hero of Dwarves and his elven friend.
“Ah, now you touch on something, youngling,” Bragin said, smiling. “Gimli son of Gloin is a grand figure of a Dwarf, and no mistake. A Dwarf’s heart, and a poet’s soul, and wisdom gleaned from long travel. He is fierce in his loyalties, as well as his grievances, and that is how a Dwarf should be. And yes, once I saw Prince Legolas, while working in my tasks in the White City. Fair and tall, his eyes bearing the ever-mounting burden of the years, like all his kind, but as merry as youth in spring. This new one, here, seems to be of the same stock, but not the same bearing. Time and speech will tell.

Nodding, and fascinated, Falin was ‘hanging’ on Bragin’s every word - causing his older cousin to hide a smile beneath his beard. It was amusing to watch Falin’s reaction to every aspect of this task…
“Young Falin, you seem to be unlike your kin, and I mark that”, Bragin said. “While it’s plain you have not traveled abroad, what IS plain to see, is that you are curious, and eager to learn about what you see. That will serve you in good stead, but it is something to be used wisely. As my master Tamar once told me, ‘The question is the key that unlocks the box to the treasure of wisdom’. I never forgot that, and neither I think, should you.”

Falin couldn’t help but feel himself ‘puffed up’ inside at Bragin’s compliment. Often, he’d been chided at home for always asking questions - instead of just accepting what he was being told. He *wanted* to know the ‘whys’ and the ‘hows’!

But, in response to Bragin’s advice, “I won’t,” he promised, and when the time came for curling up with his blanket by the fire, the young Dwarf fell asleep musing on it.

Broc was seated with the group when Frain came in, with an elf of all things! He immediately stood up, spluttering, when Corin walked behind him and pushed him back to a sitting position. "Quiet, Broc. Things have changed since the War of the Ring. Elves and Dwarves need to get along. This is the new way." Broc mumbled something about never trusting elves, but he sat, for now. He vented his frustration by glaring at the elf.

Regin turned his gaze from the elf and looked intently at Corin after glancing at Broc. “That may be true,” he admitted, “But ‘tis not something that will come easily - to Dwarves or Elves. I think it will take time - don’t you?” and included Bragin in his question to the other Dwarven scholar…

Falin was still sound asleep when his dreams were abruptly interrupted by a horn blasting somewhere close by.

“What’s *that* for?” he snarled grumpily, and glared at Regin, who’d wakened moments before Frain had blown his instrument.

Chuckling, “You’re not hurt!” Regin replied, and after stuffing his supplies in a sack, went to find Frain. The elf was still here, he noticed, and with a nod at the tall being, “I’m Regin,” he announced, and waited to see if the elf or Frain would introduce the newcomer.

His young cousin, however, was not in a charitable mood at all. “A simple, ‘wake up’! would’ a worked just fine!” Falin grumbled, and glanced at the other dwarves to see if he was ‘wrong’ in his assessment of the horn-call.

After more days of travel, the great range of the Hithaeglir looming before the former Gondorian commander, Aervon turned his mount northward. True, the ruins of Isengard were no longer ‘there’… the Ents having torn it down and planting the Watchwood in it’s place. Still though, to say he’d seen the Tree-garth of Orthanc (as the Ents called it) was something.

For several hours he explored the outskirts of the forest, he again turned Alfar’s head . Two nights later, he stopped in Dol Baran - a bed being welcome to the traveler. On the morrow, Aervon would again be on his way… passing through the Gap of Rohan to head northward toward the Elven Realm of Rivendell…
Halrohir
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2008 05:07
Bragin had retired after bidding young Falin goodnight, and walked off to curl up on the earth next to Chisel and the blanket-covered pile of gear. Just as he relaxed with his bedroll and a cloak beneath his head as a pillow, he spied a movement at the edge of the firelight, and upon looking again, saw the form of a Dwarf - it appeared to be - yes, Nori. What was she doing there, he wondered? Why not join the company? Then he realized it: the newcomer, the elf. Perhaps that was the reason? He thought on this, as sleep took him.

He awoke with a start, to the braying sound nearby. Giving Chisel a dig with his foot and a curse, he realized the mule didn't make that sound; that was a horn. The camp, under attack again, maybe?

Bragin struggled into boots, and found an axe lying near enough to grab. Shaking his head, he walked towards the sound, and saw Frain standing there, a horn in his hand. The newcomer elf sat nearby, as if both were waiting.

"Well, master Frain, you've got our attention, at the least", bragin said as he leaned on his axe handle. "I take it this is a council, and not an attack? If so, perhaps we all need some warmth, then some food. Allow me to tend to both, while we wait for the others to gather." With that, Bragin bent to the now-smoldering fire, and fed it a large faggot of wood, which crackled to life with a merry blaze. Warming his hands and feet, the architect watched Frain to see what would happen next.
Merides
Humor Admin
Send Message
on: July 23, 2008 12:12
Nori spent a long, lonely night near the smouldering pile of corpses, her own heart smouldering with hate toward the newcomer, and his race. An elf! Could any dwarf be in his right mind to have allowed an elf to join the company? She would simply follow at a distance; she would have nothing to do with that ...elf. Corin would call her racist, but she was a dwarf, and she had her pride.

She woke in the morning, after a few short hours of dozing, to a loud horn blaring near her ear. "Of all the.... What in Khazad-Dum was that?" She was up on her feet, axe in hand, within a moment. Looking over at Frain, standing there with a horn and a grin, she frowned and stomped over to him.

Others were there as well, including her brothers. Broc was in the same mood as she was, apparently, while Corin wore his usual peaceful smile. Nothing much had changed. Nothing would ever change with those two.

She stood at the edge of the group, near Bragin, and waited to hear what their leader would tell them.
Edraitheru_Melannen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 25, 2008 10:31
Frain scanned the group that had assembled around him. Noting several angry faces, he laughed silently about waking them up with the horn.

"I apologize for this form of waking you," the dwarf said. "I just wanted to see how fast all of you would respond were we really being attacked. It could have been better, but we will save that for another day. I have two things to tell you. First of all, I have decided that Edraitheru will be accompanying us."

He paused waiting for the angry muttering that was sure to follow before continuing, "If any of you do not feel comfortable traveling with him, I suggest you either get over it or leave the party. Perhaps you ought to get to know him better before making a hasty decision about him. In any case, he will be accompanying us to Khazad-Dum. Now I suggest that you all eat before we leave. I believe that Bragin was about to make us some food."

He nodded at the architect.

"I also believe there may still be old dangers lurking around Moria. We should be prepared if they are still there. I am speaking specifically of the Watcher in the Water. We will leave after eating. It is only two more days journey until we reach the West Gate."

Saying this, he wrapped the horn back up and went to store it back in the saddle bag of the pack horse he had taken it from.

----------------------

After a day and a half of running non-stop, Grash'la finally made it back to the entrance. Only half-hearing the sound of water blasting into the air behind him, he was halfway through the small tunnel through the rubble of the West Gate before the tentacle grabbed him. He cursed wildly in orcish, unable to draw his sword that was pinned to his body by the muscular tentacle. As he was pulled into the water he though to himself that perhaps this was a better way to die than the wrath of his master.

[Edited on 25/7/2008 by Edraitheru_Melannen]
Halrohir
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 25, 2008 12:50
Now I suggest that you all eat before we leave. I believe that Bragin was about to make us some food." He nodded at the architect.

"I also believe there may still be old dangers lurking around Moria. We should be prepared if they are still there. I am speaking specifically of the Watcher in the Water. We will leave after eating. It is only two more days’ journey until we reach the West Gate."

Bragin took this as his cue. Nodding to Frain and Edraitheru, he walked back to the food cache, motioning for two Dwarves to follow him. He and the two returned shortly with armloads of items and sacks, which they deposited at Bragin’s direction near the fire. Bragin then set the two helpers to work, throwing more wood on the fire, which blazed bright then burned down to a bed of hot coals. While the fire burned, he produced several pots to boil water, and a large flat iron pan as round and wide as a barrel lid. Setting this balanced upon stones over the blaze, Bragin began pouring on it flour mixed with water; the batter sizzled merrily, sending a teasing aroma of baking bread around the camp. To the curiosity of those watching, Bragin then filled a kettle of water with some sort of brown powder which was not tea, but smelled stronger and far more tantalizing. As the smells and sizzling rose around him, he stood up and addressed the throng.

“A hearty breakfast, my friends, fit for a lord in halls of stone”, Bragin announced smiling, his beard thrust into his belt. “Get plates and knives, and gather ‘round! Pour this honey on these cakes, and take a mug of steaming Dwarven coffee, and set to!” As an added touch, he carried two plates and mugs over to Frain and Edraitheru, handing them over with a slight bow. “For you, master Frain, and our esteemed guest. Be welcome, master Elf!”

As the expedition gathered to enjoy the honeyed cakes and coffee, Bragin sat beside Frain and talked as they ate. “You are correct, of course, to assume that dangers walk the mountains nearby”, he said. “I believe the time has come, good Frain, to fulfill my word and offer you some of what I know of the road that awaits us. As I said before, I accompanied Gimli son of Gloin on his mining expedition years past. We entered the East Gate of Azanulbizar, and were obliged to rebuild the Bridge of Khazad-dum, which spanned the abyss of the Second Hall. We built a cantilever wooden bridge, barely sufficient for the need even then. I doubt if it still survives, after all this time. We met few troubles worse than treacherous rock falls and collapsed chambers, so soon after the Fall of Sauron; the creatures of Moria fled into the deeper halls, and troubled not our company. But we knew, we were watched, every step of the way…

“But it is the Westgate you speak of, and I assume that is what you shall attempt”, Bragin went on, “and on my way to join you, I pondered the wise words of Gimli, and what might be done. Look here!” The architect stood, and picked up the axe he had brought. Using the haft and the blade, he dug into the dirt, swiftly making several piles of earth, then shaping them with the blade further. Other Dwarves, curious as to his work, stood and approached to watch, and listen. Bragin had created three sharp-sided piles of earth, with a steep-sided valley on one side, and a long winding trench on the other. He explained himself further, using the haft of the axe as a pointer.

“These are the Mountains of Moria, Baraz, Zirak, and Shathur”, Bragin said, pointing to each mountain in turn, “with the valley of Azanulbizar in the east”, pointing at the steep valley, “and the valley and bed of the Sirannon, the Gate Stream, in the west”, pointing at the long winding one. “The Sirannon ran in a swift noisy stream, in days of old. When the Nine Walkers passed through this region, the Sirannon had been dammed at the Stair Falls, here”, he said as he drew a mark across the stream close to the mountains. “The old Hollin Road ran along the riverside to this point, where it made a switchback across the face of this rise, then proceeded straight across the Hollin Glade to the gate itself.

“As the Nine Walkers discovered, the dam created a foul lake across the entrance, which became inhabited by a beastie, the Watcher. As they entered the Gate, the Watcher attacked them, and blocked the entrance with the torn-down trees and stones from the walls. The word I was told was very specific: the gates themselves were not damaged, only blocked from outside. It will take only heavy labor of debris removal to clear the way into the Mines. But of course, the Watcher may still exist, and I pondered a solution…”

Bragin then shifted around the display, placing his axe-haft upon the dammed stream. “This creature of the deeps may be strong, almost too strong and terrifying to face, but we may not have to. If this is a watery beastie, then there is a simple solution: remove the water! No water, no beastie! The dam can be broken with some labor, and Sirannon made to flow free and clean once more – thereby draining the lake, and forcing the beastie back into its lair, and clearing the main road to the Gate for our use!

“And what’s even better, the dam can be made into a spillway! I can contrive a water-wheel, for use as a mill or for other uses in our retaking the Mines”, Bragin went on, clearly excited to be lecturing on his areas of expertise. “Once a homestead is secured within the Mines, we shall have a source of fresh water, a source of power for engines, and the way into Moria shall be that much safer for all and future traffic. I have brought tools with me for mining and excavation, but not enough for the whole expedition, mind you – but I also have my architect’s tools, as well; for any construction or demolition, we can do these things with all the precision that good Dwarven craftsmen have used since the time of our longfathers of old!”

Bragin thumped the axe-haft on the ground like a walking stick, and smiled. “Now, there you have it, master Frain, as good a suggestion as any, and thought of in advance. I welcome what decision you might make, and any changes you wish to propose. I shall follow your lead, in all things, as is your right; but I bid you take my good advice, such as it is, and let us go forward with decision!”
gwendeth
Send Message
on: July 25, 2008 03:05
Regin had been waiting for Edriatheru to respond to his greeting when he notice Frain eyeing the gathering Dwarves. It seemed their leader had something to say, so he turned to listen.
"I apologize for this form of waking you," the dwarf said. "I just wanted to see how fast all of you would respond were we really being attacked. It could have been better, but we will save that for another day. I have two things to tell you. First of all, I have decided that Edraitheru will be accompanying us."

Looking again at the elf, Regin was curious as to just what would make Edraitheru voluntarily join the group… as it seemed he had. And, Regin wondered whether the elf had expected hostility from the seven dwarves herein assembled. - Or, from some of them, anyway. But, once again, Frain was speaking.
"If any of you do not feel comfortable traveling with him, I suggest you either get over it or leave the party. Perhaps you ought to get to know him better before making a hasty decision about him. In any case, he will be accompanying us to Khazad-Dum. Now I suggest that you all eat before we leave. I believe that Bragin was about to make us some food."

He nodded at the architect.

"I also believe there may still be old dangers lurking around Moria. We should be prepared if they are still there. I am speaking specifically of the Watcher in the Water. We will leave after eating. It is only two more days journey until we reach the West Gate."

Saying this, he wrapped the horn back up and went to store it back in the saddle bag of the pack horse he had taken it from.

Uncertain what to think, Falin was (at the moment) more interested in breakfast than anything else, and when Bragin summoned help, the young Dwarf was eager to volunteer.

Before long, the aromas filling the air made his mouth water, and ignoring Regin’s thump to his back when Bragin announced all was ready, he happily plopped to the ground in front of the fire.
As the expedition gathered to enjoy the honeyed cakes and coffee, Bragin sat beside Frain and talked as they ate.

Now and then, as he listened to the Architect, Falin’s fork paused in mid-air. Oh but such careful planning and thinking Bragin had done!, he thought to himself, and found himself in awe of the older Dwarf’s wisdom. Would *he* ever become that smart, he mused, and recalled Bragin’s previous advice: ‘The question is the key that unlocks the box to the treasure of wisdom’.

The question *was* Falin thought (with a ‘flash’ of insight), was to figure out what question to ask!

Or… he hoped, that was it…

Bragin then shifted around the display, placing his axe-haft upon the dammed stream. “This creature of the deeps may be strong, almost too strong and terrifying to face, but we may not have to. If this is a watery beastie, then there is a simple solution: remove the water! No water, no beastie!

Regin, listening intently, could see the good sense of what Bragin was saying, and occasionally glanced at Frain, or Edraitheru, or the Stronghammer kin to try and discern their thoughts. If they could get past the Watcher safely, that was all to the good.
Bragin thumped the axe-haft on the ground like a walking stick, and smiled. “Now, there you have it, master Frain, as good a suggestion as any, and thought of in advance. I welcome what decision you might make, and any changes you wish to propose. I shall follow your lead, in all things, as is your right; but I bid you take my good advice, such as it is, and let us go forward with decision!”

Setting his empty plate down, “If ye’d like my opinion,” Regin offered, “I say ’tis good advice,” and watched Frain for his response, since he had called this expedition together…

~@~@~@~@~@~

After the discussion had ended and breakfast was cleaned up, the group found themselves once again plodding onward toward Moria. Two days! Falin thought, and quickened his pace to catch up with Corin, “Will you be writing a history of all this one day?” the young Dwarf inquired, and in his youth, wondered (if so) how *he* would be ‘portrayed’…

Regin, however, was much more interested in observing the various members of the group - particularly the elf. - Ah, well, perhaps later there'd be a chance to speak with Edraitheru, he thought. After all, this task would take quite some time.

Instead, looking at Bragin, "Tell me more o' this water-wheel," Regin said. "What kind o' wood will ye be wantin' for it? Just what's available?, or will we need to search for a particular kind?"

Stone and rock Regin knew, but trees were something else entirely...

As the sun began setting on another day of easy travel, Aervon drew his mount to a halt, and began setting up his usual small camp. He’d been following the foothills on the western side of the Misty Mountains, and glanced often into their heights - thinking of the Hithaeglir’s part in Middle Earth’s history.

After catching a rabbit which he set to roasting, his soldier-trained ears caught the sounds of someone coming through the woodland brush. Many some ones, actually, if he heard aright, and though not suspecting anything untoward, Aervon yet rose and fetched his sword from Alfar’s pack, for one could not be too careful out in the Wilds…

To his surprise, however, Aervon saw the strangest company he’d ever seen in his life: dwarves, a man, and an elf coming into the small clearing. Raising an eyebrow in curiosity, “Good evening, Stone-lords,” the Gondorian nodded cautiously at the group, for it appeared (to his experienced eye) that one of the Dwarves seemed to be in charge. “I am Aervon, ex-captain in the Gondorian Guard. It’s not often I’ve heard of any Hadhodrim roaming outside their mountains,” he commented, using the Elven name for their Kind…

[Edited on 26/7/2008 by gwendeth]
Merides
Humor Admin
Send Message
on: August 02, 2008 04:20
“You are correct, of course, to assume that dangers walk the mountains nearby... As I said before, I accompanied Gimli son of Gloin on his mining expedition years past... But it is the Westgate you speak of, and I assume that is what you shall attempt... These are the Mountains of Moria, Baraz, Zirak, and Shathur, with the valley of Azanulbizar in the east, and the valley and bed of the Sirannon, the Gate Stream, in the west... But of course, the Watcher may still exist, and I pondered a solution… If this is a watery beastie, then there is a simple solution: remove the water! No water, no beastie! ... I can contrive a water-wheel, for use as a mill or for other uses in our retaking the Mines!"

Nori found herself drawn closer and closer to the group, peering over Bragin's shoulder as he told of his ideas. What a masterbuilder this dwarf must be- to have thought of all these plans and the way to execute them in a timely manner! Even thinking of the future- their lives after retaking the Dwarven city. She was in awe, and felt herself growing smaller, if that were possible for the shortest dwarf of the group. Her thoughts wandered slightly.

What am I here for? What skills do I have to offer this group? Why did I wish to join up wi' Frain? Heh. All I wish for is a good fight, and some strong drink afterwards. Tha's all I've ever wanted. But Bragin... he seems to have... somethin'... a meanin' in life... ach. What am I thinkin'? Ye're naught but a fighter, Nori. Ye don't need tae think on any sich thing, lass.

She turned back to the group, nodding in agreement in spite of herself, at Bragin's plan. It was a good plan, she'd give him that. Apparently there was more on his mind than just his donkey. She pondered these things as she lifted another bite to her mouth.

Corin took notes in a scroll as he listened to Bragin's plan. he hastily scratched with a quill... Watcher... west gate... break dam... waterwheel... future... homestead... Craftsmen of Old... Bragin had thought of everything! He ignored the food in front of him until Broc shoved some in his lap, nearly spilling coffee on his precious papers.

"Eat up, little brother! Ye'll fade right away!" Broc laughed long and loud, then patted Bragin on the back, hard. "Whatever ye need, Bragin, tell me, and I'm yer dwarf. I'll help ye build or break. Or fight off the beastie, when the water's drained, if need be!" He laughed again, then looked at Regin. "Trees are as easily hewn as rocks, are they not, friend?"

After the discussion had ended and breakfast was cleaned up, the group found themselves once again plodding onward toward Moria. Two days! Falin thought, and quickened his pace to catch up with Corin, “Will you be writing a history of all this one day?” the young Dwarf inquired, and in his youth, wondered (if so) how *he* would be ‘portrayed.’

Corin smiled at the young, irrepressible dwarf. "I've already started, lad. See here? The notes from Bragin's talk. And here!" pointing at a scroll in his satchel. I've written a bit about our meeting, and starting. A bit about the lass that joined us, and then left. A large portion of our leader. You even have a part." He unrolled the scroll so Falin could read for himself.

"I find myself heartily cheered by Regin's nephew, Falin. He is constantly badgering all of us with questions, eager to learn about the history of the mountain, and our lost city. He appears to wish to learn all he can about absolutely everything, even to the point of surpassing my knowledge as a scholar of dwarven-lore. This young dwarf will have a large role to play in the future quest. I can feel it. He will surprise us all in some unexpected manner, and gain the respect he so eagerly desires. I only hope I am around to see it, for our path is wrought with danger. We can only pray that Aule keeps us safe and well on our journey hence..."

[Edited on 8/3/2008 by Merides]
Edraitheru_Melannen
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 14, 2008 08:42
After snuffing out the fire under a generous layer of earth, the group set out again on the dusty road to Moria. Several hours later, Frain was ready for a good storm. The choking dust continued to rise around the group as they tramped up clouds of dry, grimy dust which clung to everything.

"Slow the pace!" yelled Frain, "or this dust will accomplish what those orcs could not."

The strange band of dwarves, an elf and a man continued traveling as the sun hung high over head and continued to move down into the west.

When the sun was low in the sky, Edraitheru moved up near Frain and warned him, "There is a traveler ahead. I know not whether he be friend or foe. His clothing appears to be that of Gondor."

Frain nodded at the elf. "If he is, but one man, then I think we have little to fear. However, keep your eyes and ears open for any signs of others."

Just a few minutes down the road, the group came upon the traveler.

To his surprise, however, Aervon saw the strangest company he’d ever seen in his life: dwarves, a man, and an elf coming into the small clearing. Raising an eyebrow in curiosity, “Good evening, Stone-lords,” the Gondorian nodded cautiously at the group, for it appeared (to his experienced eye) that one of the Dwarves seemed to be in charge. “I am Aervon, ex-captain in the Gondorian Guard. It’s not often I’ve heard of any Hadhodrim roaming outside their mountains,” he commented, using the Elven name for their Kind…

Edraitheru's eyes went immediately to the Gondorian when the Elvish words left the man's mouth. Few these days, spoke his language and sad thing it was. Too many beautiful creations had faded since most of the fair folk had traveled the Straight Road.

Frain, examining the man closely, stepped forward.

"Good evening to you as well," said the the dwarf. "We have traveled a long ways and are preparing to set up camp for the night. Would you care to join us?"

Frain did not want to ask, but knew he had to. "Perchance have you seen an orc running in the direction of the mountains?" he inquired of the Gondorian.
Halrohir
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 23, 2008 04:33
Bragin took stock in the Dwarves who listened to his plan and his explanation after the morning meal. Many faces he saw were pondering his plan, and some were nodding, a few smiling. Good, he thought, then there will be many willing hands for the tasks ahead.

Instead, looking at Bragin, "Tell me more o' this water-wheel," Regin said. "What kind o' wood will ye be wantin' for it? Just what's available?, or will we need to search for a particular kind?"

Broc laughed long and loud, then patted Bragin on the back, hard. "Whatever ye need, Bragin, tell me, and I'm yer dwarf. I'll help ye build or break. Or fight off the beastie, when the water's drained, if need be!" He laughed again, then looked at Regin. "Trees are as easily hewn as rocks, are they not, friend?"

“Ah, but remember, good Stronghammer”, Bragin said, “I only know of what I’ve been told – I have yet to see the Stair Falls or the Hollin Gate, same as all of us. Things may have changed in the decades since my news was brought. We had best approach with care, and with all caution, before we think of what to do. In truth, we may even find the stairs held against us – after all, did not goblin scouts test our mettle, only a few days past? Who knows what may lie in wait? I fear that my skills will not be used as they should just yet – we may have orc-necks to hew, before we begin hewing rock and tree.”

“For instance, good Regin asks what wood we need for the building”, Bragin continued. “We may find little of any kind, but I expect most of that to be holly, from the ancient groves, waterlogged and dried out. Holly was never a good wood for building much; it is soft, but a fair wood for decoration and carvings. For it to have strength, it must be of great girth and size; but holly may be all we have, and I know of ways to make due. Much better would I prefer to work in oak, but I have seen none of it on our way south…”

After helping to clean up and break camp, Bragin once again took up his place near the baggage train, leading faithful Chisel along with the pack animals. Two days, two more day’s march, and the fabled Gates of Khazad-dum would be in sight! What awaited them, Bragin wondered to himself? As he gazed along the line of march, dust swirling up around the thumping Dwarven boots, not much farther up the column he spied a shorter and now-familiar figure, that of Nori, walking along just apart from her brothers. Urging Chisel to a short jog, he overtook her and fell in just alongside.

“Medame, you seem lost to thought, and to silence,” Bragin spoke up to her, after clearing his throat of dust. “Pleased I would be, if you gave voice to your thoughts; as my old master Tamar once said, 'Can you truly possess the hammer, if trouble holds the handle?' And if one might be so forward, it would ease my load as well, if I might confide with you as well?"

As the column began to slow and to look for a camp for that evening, another figure appeared out of the dusk – this time, not another Elf, but a Man, apparently of Gondor by his fair speech. Frain invited him into the camp, and Bragin was lost in thought as he unburdened Chisel of his load: a company of Dwarves, an Elf, and now two Men! How many more stragglers and rag-tag would join this great undertaking? And why not any more Dwarves, besides? There already was a sturdy lot of his people here, ready to make the attempt, but too few, even to his mind, far too few. Could they truly be able to carve a colony out of the depths of the mountains? Bragin pondered these things, as he made do with his gear and made certain of the easy reach of his crossbow…
gwendeth
Send Message
on: September 20, 2008 08:22
“We may find little of any kind, but I expect most of that to be holly, from the ancient groves, waterlogged and dried out. Holly was never a good wood for building much; it is soft, but a fair wood for decoration and carvings. For it to have strength, it must be of great girth and size; but holly may be all we have, and I know of ways to make due. Much better would I prefer to work in oak, but I have seen none of it on our way south…”

“Perhaps we can search Bundushathur ("Cloudyhead", one of the mountains above Moria, in Sindarin Fanuidho) for wood,” Regin suggested, but was then glad to seek sleep for the night.

~@~@~@~

After snuffing out the fire under a generous layer of earth, the group set out again on the dusty road to Moria. The choking dust continued to rise around the group as they tramped up clouds of dry, grimy dust which clung to everything.

"Slow the pace!" yelled Frain, "or this dust will accomplish what those orcs could not."

Although bothered by the dust, Regin shrugged it off and continued plodding onward. After all, Dwarves were known for their steadiness of pace…
"I find myself heartily cheered by Regin's nephew, Falin. He is constantly badgering all of us with questions, eager to learn about the history of the mountain, and our lost city. He appears to wish to learn all he can about absolutely everything, even to the point of surpassing my knowledge as a scholar of dwarven-lore. This young dwarf will have a large role to play in the future quest. I can feel it. He will surprise us all in some unexpected manner, and gain the respect he so eagerly desires. I only hope I am around to see it, for our path is wrought with danger. We can only pray that Aule keeps us safe and well on our journey hence..."

As the group trudged eastward, Falin was rather thoughtful and quiet as he mused on Corin’s words. A ‘large role’?, he mused. What, indeed, might *he* ‘do’… other than to just be another strong digging arm once they’d reclaimed the depths of Moria? - It was an ‘exciting’, idea, though… one that (upon hearing it) had made his cheeks turn red, and even now caused the young Dwarf’s heart to thump madly. He was still considering the possibilities as the sun began to set behind them. - At least, that was, until they encountered someone coming the other way.

Regin, at hearing this Aervon’s greeting, chuckled to himself. ’Hadhodrim?’, he thought, and rather wondered if he’d but known the Language of Dwarves, he’d have greeted them as ‘Khazâd’ instead. - Interesting to think on! - Yet,
Edraitheru's eyes went immediately to the Gondorian when the Elvish words left the man's mouth.

Nodding slightly, Aervon acknowledged the elf’s attention. There were few of his kind left now, and the Gondorian found himself looking forward to talking with him.
Frain, examining the man closely, stepped forward.

"Good evening to you as well," said the dwarf. "We have traveled a long ways and are preparing to set up camp for the night. Would you care to join us?"

Frain did not want to ask, but knew he had to. "Perchance have you seen an orc running in the direction of the mountains?" he inquired of the Gondorian.

Raising an eyebrow, “No,” Aervon shook his head. “I have seen none of that ilk,” he replied. “But I would be happy to join you.”

Camp was swiftly made then, and as the group settled down for the evening meal, “May I ask what brings such a group this far eastward?” the Gondorian inquired. - And, curiously looking at the elf, “And, if I’m not prying, what brings such an assortment of people together?” He was also much surprised to discover one of the Dwarves was female, and noticed a great deal of animosity from her toward the ellon.

~@~@~@~

In the morning, they were off again, though in deference to those on foot, Aervon merely led his horse so he wouldn’t out-pace his new companions. As he’d learned of their task, the former soldier knew that Alfar could not accompany him into the depths of Moria, but he wasn’t yet ready to abandon his faithful friend. There would, he thought, be time for setting his mount free before reaching the ancient Dwarven settlement…

Merides
Humor Admin
Send Message
on: September 29, 2008 11:24
Traveling for some time, the dust behind them becoming thicker and thicker, and with her in the rear of the group, Nori was not displeased when she heard Frain's call.
She smiled slightly, letting her thoughts wander, now that she did not need to concentrate on breathing through her beard. This be a good land. I can feel the rock, deep below me. If it rained, the ground would be softer, pliable... if only. It be close to the mountains... Stone would be readily available, I could get it brought here... The main road needs protection for travelers... It has been many leagues since we've seen any shelter. Days without a single sign of civilization. The elf probably likes it like that. Bah. A dwarf be needin' good stone, all around. If only. She sighed, knowing her dream would never be achieved, at least, not at the rate she was going. A voice, next to her, startled her out of her musings.
“Medame, you seem lost to thought, and to silence,” Bragin spoke up to her, after clearing his throat of dust. “Pleased I would be, if you gave voice to your thoughts; as my old master Tamar once said, 'Can you truly possess the hammer, if trouble holds the handle?' And if one might be so forward, it would ease my load as well, if I might confide with you as well?"
Shaking herself, hiding her thoughts back, deep inside, she shrugged, trying to appear as if she did not care. "Ye wouldnae wanna hear the wanderin' thoughts o' mine, Bragin. Ye'd probably laugh anyway, if I told ye..." She chuckled, nervously, herself, then looked around to be sure they would not be overheard. "But... since ye asked," She hesitated, then continues, slowly, watching for his reaction. "I was thinkin' of my dream... the one thing I want more than anythin'... 'cept riddin' Middle Earth of goblins and their ilk, a'course. ... Ye see, Bragin, I'd like tae keep folk safe on the roads, if ye know what I'm meanin'... I'd like to have a place... around this land would be nice... tae open up my own inn, of sorts. I'd keep the beasties away, and the trav'lers would come..."

She shook her head. "Ye prob'ly think I'm crazy tae have a dream like that, Bragin. But it's mine, and has been, for a while now. What about ye? Ye said ye wanted tae talk, an' I'm listenin'..."

Corin and Broc approached the newcomer later the next day, as they traveled further. Both were interested in Aervon, but for different reasons. Broc spoke first.

"We dinnae get a good chance tae speak wi' ye yesterday, friend. I'm Broc Stronghammer, oldest of the Stronghammers." He held out his hammer to accentuate the point. The polished surface of the weapon caught the light of the early morning sun, reflecting into the gondorian's face, then bouncing onto his chest, catching the metal parts of the human's attire. He grinned, admiring the hammer that had earned his family their name. "Aervon, was it? Dinnae tell me ye came all the way from Gondor tae meet with a group of Dwarves?"

Corin waited until he was finished speaking with Broc, then approached the man who towered over him. His polished tone and proper speech were in sharp contrast with his brother's dwarven brogue. "And I am his brother, Corin, Scholar and Self-Proclaimed Recorder of this mission... quest... journey.... whatever you would call it. I would be interested in hearing of your history, or travels, if you would be willing to tell them to me. I would like to add them to my record, as a background of our group. Would you mind, Captain?" He smiled, parting his neatly groomed beard with a row of equally neat teeth.

He held his quill over a scroll, poised to write. The scroll was cleverly attached to a slab of lightweight shale, held on with clips of metal, his own creation. The stone also had a small container for ink, with a cork stopper. He was most proud of this invention of his, a hard surface on which to write, when no other available surface presented itself.

"So," he asked again, "where specifically did you come from?" He waited, eagerly listening for Aervon's answer.
Edraitheru_Melannen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 08, 2008 05:00
Edraitheru noted the Gondorian's nod. Seeing that he had become immersed in conversation with the scholarly Stronghammer, the elf made a mental note to speak with the man later. It had been long since he had spoken with anyone who knew his language. This, mostly by his own choice of wanderings, but he still yearned to converse in his native language.

---

As the sun set behind them, Edraitheru noticed a short figure in the distance. It appeared to be carrying a crossbow, though he could barely make it out from this distance.

"Frain," he called out their leader, "someone ahead. Perhaps an enemy. I can not make him out in this light. He is armed though."
The dwarf nodded and replied, "I believe you are the best choice of scout among us. Find out whether he be friend or foe and report back to me."

Having said this, Frain brought the group to a halt while the elf moved forward slowly. Seeing a small grove of trees near the figure, Edraitheru made straight for it knowing that he would have the advantage in the trees whoever might be ahead.

Edraitheru moved quickly and silently, as all his people did, though he had mastered this in a way few of them had. Years of hunting the evils that walked Middle-Earth had trained his muscles and his movements so that not a leave rustled nor a twig broke as he made his way through the stand of trees.

Coming upon the edge of the grove where he had first seen the figure, Edraitheru nocked an arrow on his bow. Though he hoped it was not an enemy he was to meet, being unprepared would be foolish. His eyes darted back and forth, keen eyesight piercing the deepening gloom. He noted two other figures carrying axes sitting off to one side overshadowed by tree branches.

The short, well built figures made him sigh in relief. It was only the dwarves Frain had expected them to meet. One of the dwarves looked up at the sound of Edraitheru’s sigh. Realizing that they would probably shoot first and ask questions later if they were not answered by a dwarf, he quickly made his way back to the group and explained the situation to Frain.

“Very well,” said Frain. “We move ahead. Light some torches so they can see we are not enemies.”

Having lit torches, the group moved on up the road and was soon accosted by a voice from out of the darkness that had fallen while Edraitheru was away.

“Stop right there unless you wish to be filled with arrows!” a gruff voice yelled out of the darkness.

“I’d know that voice anywhere,” Frain shouted back smiling.

“Greetings Norin! I have arrived at last with some aid from the west.”

A rather short figure, even so for a dwarf stepped out from ahead of them carrying a crossbow with an axe strapped to his back. The muscles rippling beneath his clothes made it obvious he would not be an easy dwarf to take down.

“Frain! At last, we may begin. It has been all that I could do to keep the rest of these battle crazed warriors from running straight into the caves!” Norin replied.

“That eager are they? I hope that they will still be so after what may lie ahead. Have you gone near the entrance yet?”

“No, I have ordered everyone to stay clear of the gate until you arrived,” came the reply from the eager dwarf. “I can send scouts now if you wish.”

“Please do… and tell them to be alert. We do not know if that foul creature is still alive. If it is, we may have a plan to rid ourselves of it for the time being thanks to Bragin here,” said Frain motioning for Bragin to come forwards.

Norin nodded and yelled to the two dwarves who had appeared from beneath the trees, “Furi! Glin! See to it that several scouts are sent to the gate at once. Perhaps we may even move as early as tomorrow morning.”

The two dwarves hollered out an affirmative reply and began jogging along up the road.

“Now, we have food and beer aplenty at the camp,” Norin replied indicating the glimmer of many campfires up the road. “That is, if the whole lot of them hasn’t consumed it all already.” He smiled at the thought of that.

Frain motioned to the rest of the group, “It looks like a good night’s rest for all of us. Let’s join them.” Upon entering the camp Frain indicated an open space of ground, “My tent will be here. Those of you who wish can camp here or you are free to camp with the others. We will meet back here tomorrow morning.”
Halrohir
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 25, 2008 05:55
Shaking herself, hiding her thoughts back, deep inside, she shrugged, trying to appear as if she did not care. "Ye wouldnae wanna hear the wanderin' thoughts o' mine, Bragin. Ye'd probably laugh anyway, if I told ye..." She chuckled, nervously, herself, then looked around to be sure they would not be overheard. "But... since ye asked," She hesitated, then continues, slowly, watching for his reaction. "I was thinkin' of my dream... the one thing I want more than anythin'... 'cept riddin' Middle Earth of goblins and their ilk, a'course. ... Ye see, Bragin, I'd like tae keep folk safe on the roads, if ye know what I'm meanin'... I'd like to have a place... around this land would be nice... tae open up my own inn, of sorts. I'd keep the beasties away, and the trav'lers would come..."

She shook her head. "Ye prob'ly think I'm crazy tae have a dream like that, Bragin. But it's mine, and has been, for a while now. What about ye? Ye said ye wanted tae talk, an' I'm listenin'..."

Bragin stared off thoughtfully, as Nori told her tale of her far-off goal. His mind had been worrying over a detail about the expedition’s plans, and he thought, well…?

“Nori, medame, perhaps I might take your advice, into a suggestion of mine?” Bragin began. “I have been wondering what may happen, once the way into Khazad-dum is clear. Where shall we find shelter, and a place to work? What of storage of food and supplies, if we can’t secure the mines quickly, with the onset of the weather? And it came to me, we may have to build ourselves a lodge someplace suitable and safe, and it would have to be a fortress or a stout building near the roads.

“Now what that means is, we’d end up with a stout building on an important site, and easily reachable for all. It could be defended, and well-provided, and it would be an ideal way-stop for travelers before they approach and enter the mines. Horses could be stables there; and await their masters’ return. Food and lodging could be offered, as well as repairs made to hoof and cart. Why I’ve known hamlets and entire villages to grow around a single inn, and all the things that inn provides – a wainwright, a blacksmith, a cooper, and all manner of trades and crafts!

“Now, medame, what I shall do is this”, Bragin said firmly and positively, “when I propose my building plans to Frain and the expedition, I shall include in their design all these things, that we might be able to provide for a traveler’s every possible need. The dam will give fresh water and the mill wheel, the road will be repaired and restored to strength, and the tavern shall be located where all may see the first place to rest, or the last place to supply before setting out on errantry. And I’ve no doubt of it, that such a place would be to thy liking!” The architect beamed at Nori, hoping he’d given her food for thought.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The expedition trudged onward, having nearly reached their destination at last as the sun began to set. Frain called a halt at Edraitheru’s urging, and sent the elf ahead to reconnoiter. His return brought the news: there were Dwarves near!

“Very well,” said Frain. “We move ahead. Light some torches so they can see we are not enemies.”

Bragin kept close to Chisel and the baggage train, a torch in his grip like the others, his crossbow hidden among the tools. At Frain’s glad haloo to the other Dwarves, he relaxed, and realized his worst concern was no more; there now seemed to be a sturdy and strong company of Dwarves to manage the taking of the mines, after all.

“We do not know if that foul creature is still alive. If it is, we may have a plan to rid ourselves of it for the time being thanks to Bragin here,” said Frain motioning for Bragin to come forwards.

Bragin stepped forward and presented himself with a bow. “Greetings, master Norin! Bragin son of Borin, at your service. As you like, we can discuss any plans of mine over food and fire, which I see is quite close by! Wonderful news for weary travelers, all!”

Bragin also noticed one great bit of news, as good as the sight of the company of Dwarven warriors. Trees! And not holly, but pine! A good wood, he remembered, useful for building and for hot fires with little ash, and the sap could be used in half a dozen ways! The architect’s heart leapt, and his mind raced, at all the solutions to problems that crossed his mind. Things had just improved, indeed. And now, the smell of meat on the spit reached his nostrils. He inhaled the aromas deeply, and after settling Chisel and his own bedroll close to Frain’s camp, he made his way into the throng, seeking a meal and a tale to tell, and ears to listen.

gwendeth
Send Message
on: November 23, 2008 01:23
In deference to the unmounted dwarves, Aervon was content to lead his stallion as the group plodded onward. Curious creatures, he thought them, though was well-aware of their abilities.
Corin and Broc approached the newcomer later the next day, as they traveled further. Both were interested in Aervon, but for different reasons. Broc spoke first.

"We dinnae get a good chance tae speak wi' ye yesterday, friend. I'm Broc Stronghammer, oldest of the Stronghammers." He held out his hammer to accentuate the point.

Bowing his head politely, “I’m Aervon,” the Gondorian ex-soldier replied, “From Minas Tirith.”
"Aervon, was it? Dinnae tell me ye came all the way from Gondor tae meet with a group of Dwarves?"

Smiling then, “No, that wasn’t my purpose,” Aervon replied, “But I’m quite satisfied to have done so. Tell me, what decided you on this quest?” the man then inquired.
Corin waited until he was finished speaking with Broc, then approached the man who towered over him. His polished tone and proper speech were in sharp contrast with his brother's dwarven brogue. "And I am his brother, Corin, Scholar and Self-Proclaimed Recorder of this mission... quest... journey.... whatever you would call it. I would be interested in hearing of your history, or travels, if you would be willing to tell them to me. I would like to add them to my record, as a background of our group. Would you mind, Captain?" He smiled, parting his neatly groomed beard with a row of equally neat teeth.

He held his quill over a scroll, poised to write. "So," he asked again, "where specifically did you come from?" He waited, eagerly listening for Aervon's answer.

With another smile at Corin’s eagerness, “’Specifically’, my friend, I am from a small village on the border between Rohan and Gondor. My mother was from the former, though I consider myself of the latter. From the time I was young I wanted to be in the King’s army, and on the day I became old enough, I left home and went to Minas Tirith. I have lived there ever since. - There, or wherever I was ordered in my duties. I was… fortunate in my superiors, and managed to impress them enough to rise through the ranks to that of captain, until a short time ago when I retired. Will that ‘do’, sir Stronghammer?”

After waiting to see if the scholar-Dwarf had any other questions, Aervon sent an amused glance toward Falin, who’d been hanging on every word. A strange young one, he thought, but then made his way to walk by the elf. “You are curious that I speak your tongue, hîr Edraitheru,” he inquired, bowing his head slightly to the other. - And, in the elven speech, went on to explain how, and from whom he’d learned it… an elven scholar who’d been visiting the White City when the soldier was much, much younger. “’Twill be a shame when no one in Middle Earth knows it any longer,” Aervon commented. “A beautiful language,” he added, rather amused at himself that a rough-and-ready soldier could appreciate it as such…
As the sun set behind them, Edraitheru noticed a short figure in the distance. It appeared to be carrying a crossbow, though he could barely make it out from this distance.

"Frain," he called out their leader, "someone ahead. Perhaps an enemy. I can not make him out in this light. He is armed though."
The dwarf nodded and replied, "I believe you are the best choice of scout among us. Find out whether he be friend or foe and report back to me."

Having said this, Frain brought the group to a halt while the elf moved forward slowly.

Anxiously, Falin fingered the axe hanging at his side. More orcs?, he wondered, but Regin clapped his nephew on the shoulder. “Too much light, yet,” the Dwarf reassured him, and as both Falin and Aervon, watched the elf disappear into the trees… and waited patiently till the Edraitheru reappeared.
he quickly made his way back to the group and explained the situation to Frain.

Having lit torches, the group moved on up the road and was soon accosted by a voice from out of the darkness that had fallen while Edraitheru was away.

“Stop right there unless you wish to be filled with arrows!” a gruff voice yelled out of the darkness.

“I’d know that voice anywhere,” Frain shouted back smiling.

“Greetings Norin! I have arrived at last with some aid from the west.”

A rather short figure, even so for a dwarf stepped out from ahead of them carrying a crossbow with an axe strapped to his back. The muscles rippling beneath his clothes made it obvious he would not be an easy dwarf to take down.

“Frain! At last, we may begin. It has been all that I could do to keep the rest of these battle crazed warriors from running straight into the caves!” Norin replied.

“That eager are they? I hope that they will still be so after what may lie ahead. Have you gone near the entrance yet?”

“No, I have ordered everyone to stay clear of the gate until you arrived,” came the reply from the eager dwarf. “I can send scouts now if you wish.”

“Please do… and tell them to be alert. We do not know if that foul creature is still alive. If it is, we may have a plan to rid ourselves of it for the time being thanks to Bragin here,” said Frain motioning for Bragin to come forwards.

Norin nodded and yelled to the two dwarves who had appeared from beneath the trees, “Furi! Glin! See to it that several scouts are sent to the gate at once. Perhaps we may even move as early as tomorrow morning.”

The two dwarves hollered out an affirmative reply and began jogging along up the road.

“Now, we have food and beer aplenty at the camp,” Norin replied indicating the glimmer of many campfires up the road. “That is, if the whole lot of them hasn’t consumed it all already.” He smiled at the thought of that.

Bragin stepped forward and presented himself with a bow. “Greetings, master Norin! Bragin son of Borin, at your service. As you like, we can discuss any plans of mine over food and fire, which I see is quite close by! Wonderful news for weary travelers, all!”

Frain motioned to the rest of the group, “It looks like a good night’s rest for all of us. Let’s join them.” Upon entering the camp Frain indicated an open space of ground, “My tent will be here. Those of you who wish can camp here or you are free to camp with the others. We will meet back here tomorrow morning.”

Falin was almost in awe of the number of dwarves that had joined them… Regin was glad to see them, as he suspected it would be no easy task to retake Khazad-Dum and get back to mining the depths of it. Stepping forward, “I’ll camp with them,” he stated, and went to join the newcomers, cheerfully introducing himself and inquiring about their journey...

Aervon elected to stay with the small group - though he was enjoying the company of these Dwarves, he did feel a bit out of place. After taking care of his mount, he went to join the elf. “It’s a strange feeling for me,” he said, “to be a ‘follower’ again. I’d forgotten what it felt like. Tell me, Edraitheru, what battles have you seen?”

Falin, watching his uncle head off, turned to Bragin. "I think we be in good shape now, don't you?" he asked. "Plenty of hands for building..."

[Edited on 23/11/2008 by gwendeth]
Merides
Humor Admin
Send Message
on: December 02, 2008 06:43
“Nori, medame, perhaps I might take your advice, into a suggestion of mine? ...when I propose my building plans to Frain and the expedition, I shall include in their design all these things, that we might be able to provide for a traveler’s every possible need. The dam will give fresh water and the mill wheel, the road will be repaired and restored to strength, and the tavern shall be located where all may see the first place to rest, or the last place to supply before setting out on errantry. And I’ve no doubt of it, that such a place would be to thy liking!”

Nori stared at the dwarf as he explained his plan. Could this truly be possible? It seemed so, from his explanation!

"Aye, Bragin, that would be tae my likin'. I would love tae see that come about, if the time be right."

She smiled, then walked away, her thoughts spinning.

"Tell me, what decided you on this quest?” the man then inquired.

Broc shook his hammer to accentuate his words. "I was keen on findin' some adventure, and heard of this retakin' of our homeland. I decided to come, draggin' me younger brother along wi' me. Event'lly, it all worked out, for we found our young sister, Nori, an' are all workin' together fer once, if ye ken me meanin'. Now I be ready to battle whatever beasties come me way. Let them come, I be prepared. They don't call me Stronghammer fer nothin'!"

Will that ‘do’, sir Stronghammer?”

Corin nodded, marking the last of his notes in his scroll. "Quite. Thank you, sir Aervon. I look forward to recording your future endeavors."

He rolled up his scroll and tucked his quills and ink into his pack, smiling fondly at the young Falin, who was sitting nearby. He had taken a liking to the young dwarf, the least experienced, yet most enthusiastic of the group.

He ruffled the head of the young one as he stood, commenting, "If you pay attention, young Falin, you will be amazed at how much you can learn, especially from the other races. We, as dwarves, tend to keep to ourselves. If we truly wish to learn, we must look away from our own beards."

He smiled again at Falin, then walked off to put his newest scroll with the others he had collected.

Later, the siblings were amazed to see as a large group of dwarves approached when Frain hailed.

Norin seemed to be a friend of their leader, to Broc's relief. He had become fiercely protective of all in their group, as was his habit, and would not allow any to harm their group. ... except maybe the elf... No. He would even protect the elf.

"Ah, a larger group. I had begun to grow concerned for our welfare in this matter. For how could such a miniscule gathering of Dwarves manage to overtake an underground fortress protected my multiple minions..."

"Oh stop it fer once, Corin," Broc pushed his brother over, knocking him to the ground.

"I say, that was not appropriate..."

Nori joined in, teasingly shoving her brother, albeit not as hard. "Broc's right, Corin. Ye spout off too much. Can ye talk normally fer a change?"

"I will not degrade my speech with the brouge you two insist on using..."

They all laughed, joining the rest of the group.
Edraitheru_Melannen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2009 10:42
Frain awoke the next morning feeling quite refreshed.

"Ah, what a hot meal and a few tankards of good beer will do for a dwarf!" he said to no one in particular.

As he left his tent, he was greeted by the chill morning air and a worried looking Norin standing in front of the recently re-kindled fire.

"I've been waiting for you," said Norin, who looked as if he had not slept a minute the night before.

"What happened?" Frain said anxiously. "You look terrible."

"Those scouts you had me sen out last night... They never returned," came the reply.

"My regrets," Frain said. "I am sure they fought well. It looks like Bragin's skills will be needed after all. I will inform him to begin working on his plans. We will need plenty of able workers to aid him. Also, if you have any architects among your company or those skilled with wood, we will have need of them."

"Of course, you will have them," Norin replied. "You have not heard the news then? Durin has appointed you to lead this force."

"I had not heard," said Frain grinning broadly. "He bestows a great honor on me. And now, I must find Bragin and inform him of what we have learned."

Norin nodded and walked off toward his tent muttering something about how dwarves need their sleep.

Frain, meanwhile, searched out Bragin's tent and called out to awaken the sleeping architect.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email