Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
ChefArwen94
Council Member
Send Message
Post Teens - how old were you when you became obsessed with LOTR?
on: October 27, 2008 05:16
How old were you teenage fans when you first became obsessed with LOTR?
10 or under
21% (1)
23% (2)
23% (2)
12% (1)
9% (8)
5% (4)
3% (3)
2% (2)
0% (0)
1% (1)
Elegia
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Teens - how old were you when you became obsessed with LOTR?
on: October 27, 2008 10:12
I was sixteen when I fell in love. I loaned the book from a friend and that was it. I was and still am passionate about it. Even now I am listening the book. Sound books (or whatever they are) are great!
eyowen_the_queen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 15, 2008 05:29
Well, dad let me watch the first movie while my mom was away, helping her dad out... boy, was she mad when she got home At first, I didn't like it, but then the second one came out and then I read the books and I've been in love ever since. (the only reason I didn't like it at first was because the Uri-Khai scared me. Come on, I was, like, 11 ) That's about it for me...
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 16, 2008 12:49
I was 19...almost 20, but that was a L-O-N-G time ago.
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 16, 2008 03:18
It was about seventh grade...when I was around 14ish years old when I picked up the books. I was an avid reader and I still am at 17, and I quickly made my way through the story. I actually had desktops of Arwen, Galadriel, Gandalf, and Frodo before I had finished all the books. Then I talked my sister into watching the first movie with me, even though I was not a movie watcher. I was kind of scared because it was a little violent, but I overcame it and watched all three and loved every minute of it. Now, I've seen the movies multiple times and I've read the books as many times, I've also read the Unfinished Tales, the Hobbit, the Silmarillion, and the Books of Lost Tales once upon a time somewhere.
Rainyaviel_of_Rivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2008 08:08
I think I was about 13 or 14.
Strider22
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 01, 2008 11:49
I was 11. My aunt sent me 'The Hobbit' for my b-day in April, then my best friend (still is) really got into the movies, then I read the books 1st so I would know what she was talking about because I wasn't allowed to watch the movies yet (I grew up being pretty sensitive to anything scary/violent in movies..lotr changed that for me ), and THEN I watched the movies later on that year, because my parents' decided to see if I could handle it. We watched FotR and TTT in Extended Edition because my aunt (who gave me the hobbit) was visiting from out of state and brought them with her. Then we all waited in anguish for RotK to come out in theatres....

Well, that wasn't longwinded or anything! Sorry, I seem to be in a 'wordy' frame of mind. :blush:
NellasTaralom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 06, 2008 03:34
I was eleven, and it was the autumn before the Fellowship film came out. I read them mostly because my brother had been raving about how good they were for about a year, so I finally decided to find out what all the fuss was about. So, I picked up the Hobbit and began, and I almost never put them down after that!

When the movie finally came out, I was more than a little into it...I was completely swept up and obsessed Not much has changed in eight years, except now I don't have as much time to read them as I used to...
wordsmith
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 11, 2008 06:45
I was 12, and the movies were just about to come out, and we had an old copy of the books...
singinggroves
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 16, 2008 08:02
wow, looks like everyone here got into lotr at the same age that i did! could it have been because of the movies? that's why i got involved.
Loslote
Mother Goose of Vána & CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 23, 2008 01:54
Well...I have two possible answers. 13 is probably the most accurate, becuase that was when I first became totally and compleately obsessed...but I loved the books when my mom read them out loud to me when I was 9.
heri_sinyë
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2009 02:20
I was 11 when my dad bought me the three books and told me they were great and that I should read them... I quite obviously didn't do that at first believing them to be crap or worse than that... But then the movies came out and my father dragged me (quite litterally) to see the first one. Right now I can't believe that I actually told him when we were standing in the line at the cinema that that was the last time he'd make me see one of those horribly boring movies that he likes...
But, of course, after the movie, and after being reassured once and over again that Gandalf would come back (I wouldn't stop crying) I decided I'd read the books... and I was stuck, and had read them all before the rest of the movies were out... and now I'm a freak (thanks dad....)
Pippin_Luv
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2009 03:22
I was 12. It was in April. I was wearing a grey shirt. I was eating Oreo Cake.

Sometimes I remember things a little too well.
Bree_lass11
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 07, 2009 09:00
I was 13 when my mom took my sister and i too see "fellowship". I didnt really know what to expect. We really just went because we werent even the slightest bit interisted in anything that was out, and my mom suggested it because she said although she read the books a long time ago she remembered enjoying them. Well to say i was pleasantly surprised would be an understatement. Lol. I walked out of the theatre completely dumbfounded. I was stuck. My mom then bought me a copy of the hobbit that christmas and I have been an obsessed person ever since.
Elanor_the_elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2009 01:52
I first saw the fellowship in 4th grade and began to read the books in 5th grade. If it wasn't for my fandom i might've lost my sanity. people were REALLY REALLY mean to me in 5th grade :/
Shiranui
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 09, 2009 02:31
It was kind of sporadic for me. When I went to St. Matthias (The only christian school near where I live, it's Catholic, even though I go to a Lutheran church, I'm pretty open about denominations as I was raised around three or four different ones because my family is really huge and spread out) up till the 5th grade, the students could go online and do what they wanted during freetime.

I started getting into LOTR when the movies first came out and saw them in the theater when I was 7-9 years old. At school when I was on the computer I would try to learn more about the world of LOTR. The book trilogy wasn't that interesting to me at the time, because I wanted to know more about the history and cultures of Middle Earth (Especially Numenor.) It was really hard at that age trying to remember all of the names, dates, places, and events that I read about in Tolkien's world. And it's only recently, with my interest towards LOTR sparking again, that I was able to put everything (Iluvatar, Ainur, Melkor, Silmarils, Numenor, etc.) in a linear order, and not just jumbled up in my brain.
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 10, 2009 11:12
I remember the first time I was ever introduced to LOTR. I was in sixth grade and it was Christmas time. My uncle and his wife (my aunt) took me to the movies to see the Fellowship of the Ring. That's when I bought the trilogy read the books before the Two Towers came out to theaters. After that I was hooked...
DwarfMaster
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 11, 2009 06:22
my older bro bought the RoTK video game on the PC, and I liked the game a lot. My brothers chose Aragorn and Legolas, so I was stuck with Gimli (hence one reason dwarves are my favourite). But what really "got me obsessed" was when I checked out "The Hobbit" from the library. It was about a year later before I saw the movies.
Lothara
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 17, 2009 07:41
I started liking LotR at age 12, and my birthday seems to be next week, strange as it seems, almost 4 years, it just only seems like a year! Wow...
I wish I lived in Middle Earth, I wish I was a Timelord, I wish I attended Hogwarts, but I must always remember, I am a Ranger's Apprentice.
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 17, 2009 10:37
I think I was about 12. I already had The Hobbit and the LOTR books, had read The Hobbit but not the LOTR. I only got the LOTR because Hobbit had the first chapter in the back and it sounded interesting, but then I tried to read them and thought they were too hard and boring. (Might have been because I started in the middle of the Moria chapter...) Then the films came on TV, I watched, I loved, I insisted on getting the DVDs... and an obsession was born. I read the books. Pretty soon, I discovered CoE (through the Caption Contest), wrote a horrendous Mary-Sue, tracked down most of the other Tolkien books (by the way - if you've never read Tales from the Perilous Realm, I highly recommend it), and built up a collection of memorabilia. And that just about brings me up to the present point in time - still obsessed and likely to remain so for a very long time. Also, I have been introduced to a new obsession - Discworld - through a film adaptation of the first two books starring Sean Astin, so that's another thing to thank LOTR for.
And now this post is getting inordinately long and I think it's about time I stopped writing and actually posted the thing.
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
Ivanneth_calben
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2009 03:14
i was 9
Joanna
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2009 07:10
I read the fellowship with 12 or so for the first time but I didn't "get in the story". Then I read the hobbit and the rest of lotr when I was 16. I only got obsessed this March when I saw the films and read the Silmarillon. So I'm a late comer!
lizandroll_the_troll
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2009 09:54
When I was 11, I watched the Fellowship with my uncle over Christmas vacation. And Moria CREEPED me out. When I went home, I told one of my friends all about it, and while playing in my basement one day, we found a copy of The Hobbit and LOTR. My parents had never read it, so my friend and I decided to see if it was any good. We read The Hobbit and The Fellowship outloud to each other, loved it and BOTH became obsessed.
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 03, 2009 04:26
That's a cool story, Lizandroll...

I didn't get into it until 11, but I remember my dad reading me The Hobbit when I was six. He moved on to The Fellowship of the Ring and then The Two Towers the next year... All I remember was that I pictured Aragorn as a Renaissance-style aristocrat with a rapier and a funny mustache. Don't know how that happened.

When my dad was reading through The Passage of the Marshes, I got really freaked out for some reason and made him stop. He moved on to a different book, and I didn't hear anything about LotR for around a year or so. Then, while I was scrounging around our bookshelf looking for reading material, I found our copy of The Two Towers... with a bookmark still sticking out of it. I picked up where my dad left off and finally fell in love. Since then, I've read every LotR-associated book I can get my hands on: the Annotated Hobbit, The Silmarillion, the Histories, and even The Lord of the Rings and Philosophy, ed. Bill Irwin, Gregory Bassham, and Eric Bronson. I'm still trying to get my hands on the old Fellowship computer game... I have Sierra's The Hobbit and EA's Return of the King, Battle for Middle-earth series, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King. I've watched the Extended Editions of all of the movies, and I have posters and action figures in my room, so you could safely assume I'm obsessed.

Say, that reminds me of another amusing anecdote... At school a few months ago when a friend of mine mentioned something concerning the placement of some landmark. I contradicted him, and he asked me if I'd ever done anything concerning LotR apart from watching the movies. Our dialogue went something like this.

Him: "Have you actually read Lord of the Rings?"
Me: "Of course."
Him: "And the Appendices?"
Me: "All of them. Have you read the Silmarillion, the Histories, or Unfinished Tales? I have."
Him: :twitch: "Nice."

Then there was this time that... ah well, I'll save it for later, seeing as I'm already rambling.
crystalarwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2009 11:19
I was eleven when I was introduced to Lord of the Rings. Ever since, I have been a huge Tolkien fan.
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2009 11:43
I was around eleven when the movies came out, my dad had been reading me the books a year before since I asked what they were. I don't think I fully understood what was going on until I saw the movies. I loved the movies instantly and still do. I've been obsessed ever since. I'm probably very entertaining when I watch the movies since I still get all excited during my favorite scene, like the charge of the Rohirrim or the beginning of TTT. :disco:
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 20, 2009 04:49
I read the hobbit when I was eleven, off my grandmother's bookshelf. The Lord of the Rings always intrigued me (the copies they had were the 70s style ones, with the Moomin-looking landscapes) but I didn't get into those till I was thirteen or so. I only had a year or two of pure book obsession before the movies came out.
Lady_Rotherane
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 20, 2009 07:02
I don't even know how old i was! I think i was about elleven or twelve when my friend forced me to sit down and watch the fellowship, promising a bunch of hot guys. Well, hot guys or no, i wanted to learn more! As soon as i got home, i sat down at the computer, found this website, and have been hooked ever sense!
~limwen~
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2009 01:33
i was 10 in the good old days
Ilfa
Surrealism of Arda
Send Message
on: August 06, 2009 05:43
I was 14 when I bought the book in the bookstore. Then the movies followed right after. Good old days, I used to remember almost learning Tengwar with my nerdiness before.
El-Tazrín
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 12, 2009 04:20
I was about 7-8 I first saw the film, then I read the Hobbit wen I was 8, started the BLT I wen i was 9-10 and read FotR wen i was 10
El-Tazrín
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 12, 2009 04:22
Oh and the Nazgul gave my nightmares :cry: lol but it was worth it for the Elves :drool:
Gwenniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2010 07:36
I read hobbit at the age of 10. When I was 12 I read Lotr in school. The symptoms begun soon afterwards. I don´t think I can be cured anymore...
But what do I care?
Loth_Eledhwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2010 10:41
I read the books when I was eight, but really became a fanatic at age eleven when I read the Silmarillion!
NeurielAdonneniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2010 04:58
i read the hobbit when i was ten, but i didn't read the trilogy 'till i was twelve...i read my dad's set from back when he was a kid =D i liked it a LOT, but i didn't really get obsessed until i watched the movies with my sister...and now we kind of compete like 'i like lotr better than you do...' haha.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email