Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
moderndancer_elf
Council Member
Send Message
Post King Thranduil and Other Elves in The Hobbit
on: August 28, 2011 09:38
I don't know if it is just me, but is anybody else impatient to see a movie still of King Thranduil and all the other elves? Cause I know I am! I want to see a picture still of King Thranduil so bad; and though everybody on here already know who the actor that is playing King Thranduil but is anyone impatient as I am to see him as Thranduil? I want to see a picture of King Thranduil and all the other elves sooooooooooooo bad!!!!
belldoras
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: King Thranduil and Other Elves in The Hobbit
on: September 04, 2011 10:45
There was a brief glimpse of Galdriel and Elrond in the videos before cast and crew took a well earned break. As Orlando is now in New Zealand we may get a chance to see him in the next block of videos. Not sure about Thranduil though we have had news about evangeline Lily and Orlando being here in New Zealand but not Lee Pace who is set to play Thranduil.
Elthir
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2011 12:41
Ah, I didn't know Thranduil had been cast.

A good decision here, I think; and generally I do not like a number of Jackson's choices to play Elves in The Lord of the Rings... though the Quendi are very arguably hard to cast in any event.
moderndancer_elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2011 07:12
Of Thranduil being cast, it says so on IMDb and also on here, it's very old news tho so it will probably take forever for you to find it. I honestly don't care much for Jackson's choices since I just see movies as entertainment, I just wish for them to be very good at acting and able to make the movie believable. I wish to see either a picture or video of Thranduil, just to see what Lee Pace looks like as him.
asea_aranion
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2011 09:25
Well, as long as he doesn't look like this guy:

Haha!
moderndancer_elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2011 05:25
Well, as long as he doesn't look like this guy:

Haha!

LMAO! I was very disappointed when the cartoon version did that, it was so dumb! Why would you make an elf, who Tolkien describes as very beautiful creatures, into this wretched one? All because he is a bad guy? I really cannot stand cartoons sometimes, though I do appreciate their way of entertaining children...
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2011 09:51
At first I thought he was the goblin king or Bolg ... 0_o
asea_aranion
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2011 03:18
He looks more like Gollum than Thranduil to me... Haha.
Elthir
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2011 05:53
But he has golden hair and (possibly) grey eyes. And is some people's idea of beauty more important than getting the character right?

It's not as if he's a beardless Dwarf, for instance.
asea_aranion
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2011 05:55
He's certainly not someone I would point to and immediately say "That's an elf!" though.
Elthir
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2011 06:27
But this isn't Tolkien's version of The Hobbit in any case. It's a film not the book. We always have the books. And shouldn't people be more concerned with character than visuals?

asea_aranion
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2011 07:06
Well, I know at the start of the thread, the main hope was for a photo of Lee Pace as Thranduil. Hence my jest with the photo from the animated Hobbit, since no publicity shots of Thranduil from the current film have been released.
Elthir
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2011 07:30
Yes, well, I tried to make it obvious that my recent posts were tongue-in-cheek -- borrowing some often enough heard commentary from Jackson's 'defenders'...

... to 'defend' this version of Thranduil.
asea_aranion
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2011 07:34
Ah. I haven't seen the animated version of The Hobbit in aaaaaages, so I don't quite remember enough about the character to play along.

I just remember that I thought he was frighteningly ugly when I was a child. Haha.
Elthir
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2011 07:38
For that matter I don't remember if 'they' got the character right, or even 'close' either. I just notice how some Jackson fans seem to care more about character than visuals...

... when shown a beardless Dwarf

asea_aranion
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2011 07:41
If you go back far enough in the Hobbit Film thread, Ilandir and I have come up with some lovely explanations for the lacking beards.

These generally involve Bombur. (My favorite is the one where he was battling a dragon who singed the beard off his chin)
Elthir
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2011 08:07
Yes I read them. Anyway I guess I shouldn't say 'some' Jackson fans above, as if specific people seem to be changing their tune, but rather that when the visuals are great or follow the books, they are much praised by Jackson fans collectively...

... but when something visual deviates from the books, and so is criticized as 'unfaithful', or even silly in someone's opinion (axe in head), the collective defense then seems to put more concern on getting the character right. And OK, maybe 'they' mean getting the character right is always more important; but again, in any event, if one can praise when the filmmakers arguably get the visuals right...

Here I just saw a 'goblin-esque' Thranduil, equating it with a beardless dwarf. I'll bet if Jackson did the former, sooner or later I would find a fan-invented defense, based on something about film. Of course he didn't; so all I'm really saying is that no matter what any filmmaker comes up with, it always seems like there is someone out there to criticize it...

... or defend it
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2011 08:19

Here I just saw a 'goblin-esque' Thranduil, equating it with a beardless dwarf.

You mean you're comparing a so-called "Appearance Change" such as this with a beardless dwarf? Unbelievable! Sure, a dwarf might not be a pure Tolkien dwarf without a beard but there's no way comparing that to the complete transformation Thranduil went through.

And as I recall, each one of the Dwarves has a beard of some sort. Some are long, the others short, but there isn't what I'd call "beardless dwarves"...
asea_aranion
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2011 08:43
Elthir - I think it depends on the filmmaker though. I don't see anyone rushing to the defense of goblin Thandruil up here except your sarcasm. Haha.
Elthir
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 09, 2011 01:38
You mean you're comparing a so-called "Appearance Change" such as this with a beardless dwarf? Unbelievable!

What I meant is that a beardless dwarf is notably un-Tolkien, and thus in the same general category as a 'goblin-esque' Elf (un-Tolkien). They 'equate' in this general sense at least, in my opinion.

And as I recall, each one of the Dwarves has a beard of some sort. Some are long, the others short, but there isn't what I'd call "beardless dwarves"...

Well there is what I would call 'beardless' dwarves: at least two, given that in my opinion no Tolkien-dwarf would have such 'beards' as they have. 'Beardless' is just a simplified way of describing two dwarves that essentially might as well be beardless in my opinion. And for myself, I'm not buying this idea (mentioned in the video) that one of the dwarves is young -- and so just has stubble basically -- since Tolkien's dwarves were born with beards.

Anyway, I don't really want to continue a discussion about this here, as it's not on topic really, so if you have more to say in response to this, perhaps you could do so in the general film thread...

... although the beards have been discussed there I think, and I doubt you'll sway me with respect to what I think Tolkien would consider 'beards' for his Naugrim.

[Edited on 9/9/2011 by Elthir]
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 09, 2011 03:40
Yeah good idea ... though your sarcasm is flattering
Elthir
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 09, 2011 04:50
Yeah good idea ... though your sarcasm is flattering

Well, as I say it was tongue-in-cheek

Anyway, to get more on topic, I 'like' the choice here as I think this actor is not too androgynous -- which is obviously very subjective in any event -- but I thought some of Jackson's earlier choices for male Elves were too androgynous.

Some (not anyone here that I know of) seem to think the Quendi are generally androgynous, but I know of nothing in the corpus to support this.

[Edited on 10/9/2011 by Elthir]
moderndancer_elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 09, 2011 08:44
I think that Hugo Weaving is the perfect role for Lord Elrond, seems intimidating but very gentle at the same time (He really surprised me in Captain America 0.0), and Cate is *gorgeous* as an elf! I have nothing to complain about the "beardless dwarf", or any other character (except for that one she-elf if she really is Legolas' lover, but it's only rumors so I got nothing to worry about). The movie is not even out yet, so I don't have to complain about anything until it comes out.

Looking at the Fili and Kili still frame, I honestly thought of them to be not so bad. Sure, you can barely see the beards, but I just think of it as them being young and not yet going through their phase. As long as all the characters are still in character, then I honestly don't care about visual. Not all movie adaptions are perfect.
Elthir
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 09, 2011 12:09
For the record I was referring to Bombur of the bare chin, and whatever Dwarf has stubble.

... but I just think of it as them being young and not yet going through their phase.

But according to Tolkien the Naugrim were born with beards.

As long as all the characters are still in character, then I honestly don't care about visual.

If this goblin-esque Thranduil, for instance, was still in character you would have nothing negative to say?

[Edited on 10/9/2011 by Elthir]
moderndancer_elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2011 12:22
If this goblin-esque Thranduil, for instance, was still in character you would have nothing negative to say?

Possibly, yes, but I got bored of the cartoon version of The Hobbit real quickly. Don't ask me why, I just get real bored when it comes to cartoons.

Was it just me or did it seem like Lord Elrond seemed a little off character in cartoon version of The Hobbit? I only got to the part where Bilbo and the dwarves were dining in Rivendel, and even by then I felt as if he was a little off character.
asea_aranion
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2011 04:56
I think that Hugo Weaving is the perfect role for Lord Elrond, seems intimidating but very gentle at the same time (He really surprised me in Captain America 0.0)

I love Hugo Weaving in pretty much everything I have ever seen him do, and he seems like such a fun guy behind the scenes. He's an exceedingly talented actor, and I'm so pleased he'll be returning as Elrond.
moderndancer_elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2011 03:31
I'm so pleased he'll be returning as Elrond.

Ah, me too! Lord Elrond really made me mad in the second movie of the series, but I got over it quickly by the beginning of the third one. So I am really looking forward to seeing him again . I've heard rumors of Liv Tyler coming back as Arwen in The Hobbit, is that true or no?
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 24, 2011 08:24
I'm so pleased he'll be returning as Elrond.

I've heard rumors of Liv Tyler coming back as Arwen in The Hobbit, is that true or no?

Liv Tyler said she hasn't been contacted for The Hobbit. This may or may not change later on, but as of now, it doesn't look she'll be appearing in it.
moderndancer_elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 24, 2011 10:48
Liv Tyler said she hasn't been contacted for The Hobbit. This may or may not change later on, but as of now, it doesn't look she'll be appearing in it.

I thought so...

If she does come back, though, I really do not know how she is going to fit in the whole plot. It was nice to see her in action a little bit in the first movie, but you did not see a whole lot. Oh, and that reminds me!

With this new character she-elf, I am not sure if I should be excited or worried, it's kind of in between. It sounds interesting to have a warrior she-elf in Mirkwood...
asea_aranion
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 26, 2011 03:38
I wouldn't mind if Arwen had some sort of cameo if it was relevant... but I think she's supposed to be in Lothlorien during the events of The Hobbit, so I'm not sure it would make sense for us to see her.
moderndancer_elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 26, 2011 05:50
That is true. Still, it's nice to see a she-elf in action, it's rather interesting...
peamaps
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 22, 2011 04:35
Not only you, I'm crazy about elves and can't wait.
I'm just really sad PJ is CREATING a new elf woman.
Wasn't enough what he did with Glorfindel, Elladan and Elrohir? And to kill Haldir? Now he's actually going to be Tolkien.
Hope he don't mess up.
I like Arwen for what she was in the books, but really don't in the movies.
The river scene was all about Frodo and then about Glorfindel.
moderndancer_elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 10, 2011 07:59
The river scene was all about Frodo and then about Glorfindel.

Oh, yeah, I was kinda disappointed that PJ didn't put Glorfindel at all in the movies . As of right now, I have nothing to complain about this new she-elf, she seems very interesting since she is the only she-elf warrior, or at least the only one that I know of. I haven't gotten that far into the LOTR series . I really don't believe in the rumors about her being Legolas' lover since they are only rumors, last I heard, so I got nothing to complain about her...for now lol!
Lysanor
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 10, 2011 05:21
http://lomelindi88.deviantart.com/art/Lee-Pace-as-Thranduil-260898497
Awesome drawing of him right there. It's as close as we'll get for now it seems.
I wonder, since Orlando has already done his stuff, and I don't think Lee has started yet if there will be any father/son interaction?
Pimpernel_Took
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 11, 2011 12:51
I agree with you, Moderndancer, there's no need to be worried about that she-elf. I think she'll be an interesting character. What bothers me more is Fili and Kili. They really don't look like dwarfs at all, that is, except for their height.
And how will PJ do the escape of the dwarfs from Thranduil's dungeons? By a fight, or as it is in the book; Bilbo the burglar steals the keys from two drunk elves? I'd really love to see two drunk elves... *grins*
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email