Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Julianna Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
Post Reality vs. Middle Earth
on: January 02, 2013 08:26
lets say that you have the wonderful opportunity to go to Middle Earth instead of reality, the only catch is that once you are there, you can never come back to this reality. would you still go?
If you choose to go, what would your life be like there?
Legolas is ~L~ovely! Legolas is ~E~verlastingly talented! Legolas is ~G~reat! Legolas is ~O~h so awesome! Legolas is ~L~ovable! Legolas is ~A~mazing! Legolas is ~S~weet! ~LEGOLAS~ rules! Mrs.Greenleaf
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Reality vs. Middle Earth
on: January 02, 2013 01:02
Okay. I would go. I would much rather live in a world where I have to work the land (farm) or hunt to survive, rather than have to make money to survive. I would prefer to be an elf, or if I was a ranger, I would most likely live away from people in the borders of the woods in the shadow of a mountain (due to the fact that I enjoy the snow in winter).

On a small plot of land I'll have a garden just large enough to support myself with maybe a few sheep or goats and a horse. I'd hunt for my meat. For the things that I could not grow or hunt, I'd trade with pelts that I'd gain through my hunting or with the wool from the sheep (and goat if it's one of the kinds that does produce wool). And some of that wool would be felted, spun and if it was spun some of it might be knitted into different items like clothing or blankets.

It would be a hard life, there is no doubt about that. And danger, but to me it would be worth it more so than what we get to deal with daily, bills piling up, worried about loosing your job, car breaking down on you, not to mention the crazies that roam the streets and if you are in the USA it's becoming extremely difficult to arm yourself against the crazies. In Middle Earth anyone and everyone could carry weapons anywhere and every where, heh I bet the murder rate is a lot lower than what it is now.
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2013 08:16
I agree. i would go, taking my family with me of course. i would totally be an Elf Ranger! he he. if there was such a thing! If i lived in ME, I would defiantly not be a vegetarian. i like it and all, but sometimes i want to eat meat SO bad! i would probably live in the woods with lot's of animals.
Hercynian
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2013 08:28
I'd want my family along definitely, and I'd want to be in Lothlorien, or some other sort of woodland Elf. I'd want to give myself over to the trees and the forests so completely. But then most religions speak of a return to an Eden/Lothlorien existence, so maybe it's still on the way.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2013 02:15
Do Elves have a religion?
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2013 02:25
Um, if I'm correct it's not stated. I would think that if they worshiped someone they would worship Eru and the Valar. If not it would be that of the earth, since they take care to make sure that they don't destroy the world around them.

That's my guess, but I could be wrong.
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
on: January 03, 2013 04:16
This seems awfully similar to your other thread Julianna and as nobody answered my question there I'll take a wild guess here. What is it about Middle Earth that's better? Reading the posts above leads me to think it's only because it's not the U.S. of A. The kind of life you describe is possible in this world and many people live like that.

I would also point out that the other 6 billion people on this planet do not feel the need to go around armed to the teeth, and yet seem to get along just fine. And you want to export your national obsession to Middle Earth?! Sometimes I despair.

The Elves worship Elbereth (Varda) above all the other Valar. You'll have to do some reading to find out why.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2013 05:21
Sorry I did not see your question over there....I just found it and posted it there. I do agree with you, but for me right now is the huge problem of the government.

I'm also not entirely meaning being armed to the teeth, but just being able and allowed to protect those who you love and care about. Sorry, some of the things I hear on the news about some of the crazy gun laws pop in there with out me realizing. I'm not 100% pro-gun, but I don't think completely banning guns is the way to go. Next time I'll have to double check what I write so what I hear on the news doesn't pop up when the topic is not even about it.
Taug anin ú-daug.
Hercynian
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2013 05:36
One of the reasons I'm not out in the woods right now leading an Elven life is that those up here (NoMinn woods) that are "out in the woods" tend to be rather "gnarly" people. There's sort of a hillbilly mystique up here -- very far from anything Tolkien Elven. These people are a lot closer to Jack London and Hemingway, i.e., tough, macho cowboys/girls versus cruel nature than the fair, noble Elves of Rivendell. Some pretend to follow Native American ways, but they don't have any real contact to the Native people up here.

A few years ago I attended an Earth First gathering that was held up here. I had visions of them being noble Elven defenders of the trees. Boy was I in for a shock! Sure, I met a few "normal" people, but most were, again, "gnarly," many with obvious emotional immaturity issues (Axis II). In fact, the only time I ever was confronted with someone who I thought wanted to harm or even kill me was there: some kid who thought he was an old-fashioned revolutionist communist. He was sure I was a fascist when I talked about Tolkien.

Basically, I've never met or heard of any back-to-the-landers who had much in common with what we read in Tolkien's books. My family and I came up here to see if some sort of Bombadil or Beorn or Lothlorien existence was possible. Yeah, maybe, but you'd be all alone in a sea of Klondike banjo-picking wanna-bes. I guess we could have gone it alone. But that's dangerous for a family. We decided that we either find good people to form a tribe -- or not do it at all.
Julianna Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2013 05:46
there are many differences from reality and middle earth. first of all MAGIC!!!!
Second the people seem nicer than the ones here. Third its peaceful with more room and forests. fourth its better because the people there dont have to depend on electricity for anything. fifth you can go on quests. sixth there is Legolas
Legolas is ~L~ovely! Legolas is ~E~verlastingly talented! Legolas is ~G~reat! Legolas is ~O~h so awesome! Legolas is ~L~ovable! Legolas is ~A~mazing! Legolas is ~S~weet! ~LEGOLAS~ rules! Mrs.Greenleaf
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2013 05:48
i love the woods. i live in the country right next to the State Park. so we hike all year round, and i play outside a lot! I feel calm and peaceful outside in the woods.
tarcolan
Send Message
on: January 03, 2013 06:35
Lastiel, it's not guns that are the problem. Other countries allow gun ownership but there isn't nearly as much violence. It's something unique to the American psyche. The TV news agenda seems designed to keep people in a state of paranoia, while the Hollywood machine churns out violence as family entertainment. It's no wonder we look for a different way of life. Some have called Tolkien naive, and his characters two-dimensional. True maybe to a certain extent but I think what attracts us to those people is that they have integrity. I'm thinking of the meetings between Eomer and Aragorn, and of Frodo and Faramir. In both instances death was the prevailing law yet their common humanity and basic goodness was recognised and over-rode it. Such integrity is hard to find in this world but it's there.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2013 06:50
Ah, okay. Sorry, now I know where you are coming from. Especially with the crazy 'turn guns in' campaigns. And yes, now a-days there is not much integrity. Ah, those are good examples. I agree it is very rare, and often times it's over looked.

There is also the fact that people there weren't asking for a hand out, they worked for what they got. Too many people that I see, and I admit I don't see the whole picture and right now I'm living off of the kindness of my parents, think that they are entitled and are unwilling to even try to work.

But, like I said that's how I kinda see it. My view may be flawed, but I tend to like a world where it seems like all people have to work to live and like you said have integrity. Thank you for your thought provoking posts!
Taug anin ú-daug.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2013 08:55
i posted this on my forum and i though since this was on the topic of 'reality' then u might want to hear about it. if any of u have watched the commentaries, this is what i quoted it from.
Orlando Bloom shared with us in the commentary of FOTR, Ian Holm came up to him and said, " Well what r u going to do when this is over?i mean you have to go back to reality," and he responded, " Well, what is reality?" Ian said, " Good point!" i hope that makes since
tarcolan
Send Message
on: January 05, 2013 07:15
My apology to Julianna, I thought that other thread was yours. I want to answer your six points.
1. MAGIC! What magic? Apart from talking spiders and dragons, very little in The Hobbit, and not so much in LOTR. Look at the answer an Elf gives to Pippin when he asks "Are these magic cloaks?", and also what Galadriel tells Sam at the Mirror. My 92 year old mum thinks it's magic to talk to my brother, and see him, half a world away. Palantir? It's only magic if you don't know how it works.
2. There's plenty of nice people in this world, they just don't make a big noise about it so they're harder to find.
3. It wouldn't be for long if we went there. Us humans have a habit of going to some beautiful place and messing it up.
4. A lot of people in the world get by without electricity. It would be interesting to see if I could get by without it for a while but I think I'll wait for summer (electric heating).
5. What's stopping you?
6. There is indeed Legolas. No answer to that.

Lastiel, I'm not advocating gun ownership but then I live in the UK, where it's legal to own a shotgun. Not many people do though. What makes me sad is that you felt the need to mention it, as though you would need to protect yourself in Middle Earth. I'm also disturbed by the weapons forum. What would Tolkien say? Hobbits don't keep weapons because they don't need them. When they do they go get them from the mathom house. Come and live here, it's really nice.

As for Reality, Mr Bloom is quite right. Many of the wise down through the ages have questioned whether this world is reality or illusion. It seems real enough doesn't it?
Julianna Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 08, 2013 07:44
yeah this one is my thread
1. WIZARDS have magic
2. there arent as many nice people as there is mean ones
3. there are a few humans, the elves and dwarfs would balance it out
4. true, but what if EVERYONE had to get bye with electricity? That would be crazy!
5. there is nothing intersting to go on quests here
6. no kidding Legolas is awesome!
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 08, 2013 12:00
I don't disagree with any of your points Taur, but having the knowledge that the government is trying to take away something is making people who don't entirely need a gun want one. Because the government is saying 'you can't'. It's almost like an unruly teenager disobeying their parents.

And I'm only saying that I'd need to protect myself in Middle Earth because, I would want to live away from towns.In the woods where you'd need to farm/gather along with hunt and chase off brigands or orcs. But yea I do understand, though I don't think I'd be around hobbits that often. Nice to speak to, I just don't think I'd be able to be around them much. /shrug.
Taug anin ú-daug.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 08, 2013 09:51
same with me
Julianna Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2013 07:38
yeah, i would be an Elf, that way i can experience the wonderfulness of Middle Earth and stare at Legolas forever!
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2013 07:43
Ha ha. Same here! LOL
Julianna Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2013 06:23
no kidding! It would be so much fun!
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2013 08:21
I know right!
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2013 01:31
Um, aren't we forgetting that it would be/is a much harder life in Middle Earth? I'm not saying that it would not be fun and interesting at times. But it also would be hard work, making sure you had enough food stocked up for winter, and if you live away from the settlements or towns you'll also have to deal with the wild life (wolves, bears, etc).

I'm going back from what I said before about wanting to live there, but I know it would be a hard life and not all fun and games. The chances of me even being able to deal with the hard life there would be a time of adjustment to get used to having to do everything that I take for granted here. That and even if I would be an elf I also know that I would most likely never cross paths with any of the great elven lords and ladies. My lot would most likely be with the scouts and hunters, that's if I could avoid being stuck at home with the womenfolk. (lol)
Taug anin ú-daug.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2013 07:31
yes, it would be hard. but it would be worth it
Julianna Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2013 09:10
totally worth it! I mean Legolas is there!
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2013 09:30
HA HA. Would you go even if he wasn't, Miss. Greenleaf? lol
Julianna Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2013 06:01
Thats MRS.Greenleaf to you

and yes, i would. i could never say no to a great adventure and wonderful magic!
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2013 01:42
ha ha ha ha ha
Yes it would be worth it, even if he wasn't there.
Ironfoot
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2013 02:36
I'm in Middle-earth every single day of my life, if you catch my drift
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2013 07:47
Totally! I told my mom when i was going to watch FotR " I am going to Middle-Earth! Be back in an hour!" lol
Julianna Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2013 05:56
haha!
I do that when Im watching HP, though
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
I have a different turn on the question. There are loads of theories that if we could perceive everything as it really is then we could do anything. So would you change this world so that it was the same as Middle Earth? Is it the world itself you would want, or is it the people and the ideals? Personally, I would take either Middle Earth or this world as a Middle Earth.
If anyone had happened to look out of a window on the east side of the palace, they might have noticed two figures in the darkness, dancing in a square bordered by living plants, out of time with the dancers inside but perfectly in time with each other.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
what i am going to do is in some ways make middle earth my reality. i am going to act more like an elf, make my room more middle earthy, learn some of the languages,and more. for me, ME is my comfort. i want to be able to find comfort when i need it. i am sorry if that doesn't make sense! lol
tarcolan
Send Message
I get the feeling that if you could be like an elf you'd always be comfortable wherever you were. The question is what does it mean to be an elf? New topic there maybe?

L17.21
LightElfRowena
Council Member
Send Message
Post Middle Earth.
on: June 30, 2013 07:26
I would choose Middle Earth any day. Even though I'm a huge relier in my phone and laptop, I would give it up to live in Middle Earth. Beside, its a great place to find handsome elves
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email