Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
Post The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, Mockingjay
on: February 27, 2013 10:47
Share your opinions and ideas about the books and movie! Team Peeta, Team Gale, or Team Finnick? Also, any comments about actors, casting decisions, and the new upcoming movie, Catching Fire!
"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!"
TofuFishy
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, Mockingjay
on: February 28, 2013 06:21
The books were great and I loved them. But the movie... t he... mov ie...

I do not approve of the way that the movie threw a bunch of kids in an arena to kill themselves with very little background information. Fans of Susan Collins' books understood but so many parents and other viewers were outraged by this needless spill of blood. "What are my kids reading? This is just mindless killing for no reason!" While I do not agree with this being a proper why to punish a country for a rebellion, it also wasn't just mindless killing for entertainment for us readers! I remember my own mother nearly forbade me from getting the second book and I had to beg her to listen to the reasons why this was happening.

As for what "team" I'm on. Well, I dont understand Team Finnick all too well. There was a friendship there between Katniss and Mr. Odair but I don't see where the romance is coming from? And initially I liked the idea of Gale and Katniss becoming a couple since they were childhood friends and all. But then Peeta came and changed things for a little bit but then I thought... is Peeta and Katniss's love just desperation? Not only were they trying to survive the Hunger Games but those small intimacies could still have been the last ones they'd ever experience. I mean... they can trust Haymitch all they want but their safety was never guaranteed. It did become canon in the end so I do support it to an extent.

So I guess I'm Team.... Team Changes-Her-Mind-A-Lot?
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2013 02:25
Um, I liked the books. The movie... meh. @TofuFishy- Some people thought the movie was too violent. I really don't thing so. It felt way too dumbed down and unrealistic. I don't think they should have made it more violent though. I think they should have just left it as books. And I'm a guy, so pretty much team nobody. Um spoiler, if anybody cares. -Though I think she should have married Gale.-
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2013 03:47
OMG! I loved the Hunger Games! For those of you that think that the movie was too violent, have you watched LORD OF THE RINGSSSS!!! Anyway, I can't wait for the second movie to come out! I read all of the books in like two months, then read them again. As most of my friends know, I am extremely obsessed with Peeta! I love him so much! Josh Hutcherson, in my opinion, was perfect for his part. Maybe I just like boys with blonde hair and blue eyes. Which is why I like Legolas AND Niall from One Direction. I'm a girl BTW. No, I'm NOT gay. Lol. So, my sister started this forum and I hope she gets some great comments from all ya'll!!! BE NICE, NO FIGHTS!!! ITS-JUST-A MOVIE/BOOK! Anyway, check out my forum on the Maximum Ride series(another thing I'm obsessed with). -Sydney/Rodwen
"While you're doing fine, there's some people and I, who have a really tough time getting through this life so excuse us while we sing to the sky." -Twenty One Pilots
TofuFishy
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2013 07:14
Ah, but you see, RodwenAravilui5136. Lord of the Rings had some backstory: they were fighting for their land and to prevent the Enemy from getting his hand on the Ring and it balanced out with the friendships between characters and lessons you could learn through it. There are also weren't children fighting this war (well, they weren't the focus of the cameras) The Hunger Games (movies) was a bunch of kids (kids. CHILDREN!) flinging knives at each other. You could argue that Peeta and Katniss relationship so far "balances" it out but it did not seemed to be emphasized enough for any of the worried parents or appalled viewers.

I honestly can't wait to see the way some of my close relations are going to trash Catching Fire since, in the books, you get to see a truly even more corrupt side of the government during Catching Fire and Mockingjay. It's already too violent for lots of people. I wouldn't doubt it if they say the next two movies promote corruption.

I really hate to say this but so far, the movie has been poorly done and like Leoflic_Nightleaf, I believe they should have left Susan's books as is.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 02, 2013 03:20
TEAM FINNICK ALL THE WAY!!!!! I love the books, and the movie was really good, but they could have made it better. What I like is that they made it tastefully- so some younger kids, maybe 11 and up, could see the movie without being freaked out.
To Rodwen: Peeta....just....no.
To Tofufishy- The Hunger Games isnt all violence and unnessasary death. To me, the tributes who died were marytrs. And that Panem, as stated in the book, is a future north america. As a writer myself, I got the feeling Collins was trying to tell us that its not a fiction book, per say. Its what we may be turning into.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: March 02, 2013 08:38
I think the movie was fine. Or is it just me? There wasn't "unnecessary" violence. I don't see how you could justify LOTR just because "it had a backstory" and not Hunger Games. That seems silly. They explained what was going on in the movie. And Katniss wasn't thrilled about it, she just did what she had to do to survive.

And as far as children vs. children? Well that's what it was in the books. That was the reality. It is *supposed* to be appalling, because that is the truth Collins is trying to get us to realize. And frankly in the real world children being forced into the military is a very real and happens every day.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2013 05:10
Also, If you think about it, children always seem to be the ones who are exploited. This is a minor example, but my graduating class (2016, in case anyone wants to know) has been hooribly discriminated against by our school disrtict and our state exams. For example, we are the only class who was to take a specified elective by force. It did not happen for the Class of 2015. It will not happen for the Class of 2017, next years high school freshmen.
In addition, on last years NT State math exam, there were multiple questions that were far too difficult for even the advanced students. We later learned those questions, about ten in total, were to shape the next years math curriculum. They DID count against us, which resulted most students to get a lower grade. A few of my friends are even in AIS (Academic Interventory Service) for math, becasue of their failing grades on the test. They will never be able to cover for it, and, since we are in high school, they will have to continue taking the course until they pass it, which results in them being a year behind. (For exampple, instead of taking geometry as a sophomore, as it is in NYS, they will be taking Algebra One again, in a class with freshman learning it for the first time).
And kids killing kids?? Not that much of a fantasy. Think of school shootings, such as Columbine. It's not that far out of reality.
Anyone agree? Disagree?
Cant wait for Catching Fire!!
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2013 10:56
I still think what I think. And I totally agree with TofuFishy. Erucendindë, the story does justify what happens in the LotR movies, NOT the Hunger Games movie though. The amount of story in the movie was almost at absolute zero. In other words, as far as justification of the violence, I think even Dragon Ball Z did a better job of it lol. And at least DBZ is FUNNY. Don't get me wrong. The books were pretty good, but the m o v i e... sucked. And with the shootings? You can't compare that to the movie. You should listen to this radio program on Harper highschool in Chicago. There were over 20 shootings there last year. http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/487/harper-high-school-part-one No. It isn't the same.
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2013 11:31
I think the violence in the HG movie was very well-handled. They did not show blood spurting through the air or heads flying, which is more than I can say for LotR. And I think, especially with the themes throughout the Hunger Games, that violence IS necessary in the movie. It's how Suzanne Collins's message is most clearly communicated to the viewer, especially if they have never read the books. If there were a bunch of teenagers running around all namby-pamby (I'm sorry, I LOVE that phrase), fighting each other without any blood or death, the urgency of Collins' message is lost. No one would take it seriously. The violence makes it more convincing, so we can connect it to our lives and see our possible future if no one tries to make a difference. It helps us to understand Collins' message, that this is where out world is going as the governments become more corrupt and violence is becoming more and more tolerated and accepted. I guess it's sort of a stand against apathy and complacency. That's my take on it.
My only complaint about the movie is that they had to explain EVERYTHING about the background of the story: Panem's history, all the way down to the results of a tracker jacker sting. I understand that this was hard for them, mainly because the whole book series is going on inside Katniss's head, and they have to make it easier to understand for those who have never read the books. But sometimes it was annoying and distracting.
All in all, I think the producers did a good job, mainly with the right amount of violence without going overboard. I also thought they shot the movie in a way where they did not condone the violence going on on-screen. Because if they had filmed it differently, they would have been no different from the Capitol itself. Yeah, they did make a few annoying plat changes and left out some parts. But it was pretty darn good. Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson were my faves
"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!"
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2013 01:51
I agree with lotrelessar
And im not taliing about the violence of the movie when I say school shootings. Im just saying that the world Collins crafted isnt all fantasy.
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2013 02:04
If you will refer to my first post, I said I thought the violence was dumbed down and unrealistic. They had a large 'quantity' of violence, but it was not high 'quality'. It just felt "off". Like, there seemed to be no purpose, because there was so little story it was almost unexplained. And the characters just didn't feel 'driven' and desperate enough. And remember, I'm talking about the MOVIE not the book. Books were good. As usual, better than the movie. I always like the book better, no matter what it is. (Only exception being Narnia I guess. I feel sorry for Andrew Adamson though. I have no idea how he managed to make anything out of 'those' books. Meh.) And as for Jennifer Lawrence, she's a great actress, but I prefer her in X-Men lol . Josh Hutcherson? Not a fan. Period.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2013 12:23
Dont let my friend Rodwen Aravilui hear you say that
If there are any Finnick fans out there, what do you think about Sam Clafin, the actor who will portray him in Catching Fire?
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2013 05:08
Uh uh. No way! Not ANOTHER non-peeta fan. I swear, if one more person joins that group, I will FLIP! Give Josh a chance, it's been awhile b4 he's been in a movie, and now he's in THG and that Dawn movie. He's a great actor, handsome, smart, and strong. How are you guys dumping him like that!? He's awesome. No one else could be a better Peeta than him. And take this findemaxam48, "I don't like Sam Clafin. Not a fan. Period." Sorry, I'm just really sad that no one likes Josh Hutcherson anymore....whats wrong with him? Think of all the movies he's been a STAR in! Bridge to Teribithia! Journey to the Center of the Earth! The Kids are Alright! American Splendor! How many Awards he's won?! Ug, who do you like then?
"While you're doing fine, there's some people and I, who have a really tough time getting through this life so excuse us while we sing to the sky." -Twenty One Pilots
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2013 11:01
Haha Rodwen double post ^^. I like Josh Hutcherson, too! you are not the only one, I'm sure that there are many other Joshie fans as well. I'm not a huge fan of Sam Clafin, either. No offense to him, but I expected the actor for Finnick to be more...attractive and manly. Someone more like Zac Efron I can't judge him yet, though. I need to wait to see the movie to make my final decision I feel like it's gonna be forever till it comes out though. When does it come out, again?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2013 06:26
look up the pics of him with his hair dyed and stuff!!!! He's soooo much more Finnick like!!! Rodwen, once again, im not against Josh, im aganst Peeta. I dont wanna go into why cuz youve heard it.
I think it comes out november 20th??? IDk
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 28, 2013 09:38
Yeah, we've been over the Peeta and Finnick thing many a times. Just to break it to ya AGAIN, Finnick has a wife who was pregnant and has already died. Just saying.....Peeta has a wife and kids too, but I still have a chance with him cuz he's still alive....
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2013 09:02
Haha no one's sticking up for Gale
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2013 03:25
lol, my sister says to that, Peeta is a wimp. Take it up with her, not me. Shes only 9, people. Look whats happening to our future!!!!!!!
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2013 09:52
PEETA IS NOT A WIMP! Claire Alyssa!!!!!!!! Your opinion does not count because you have not seen the movie or read the books! When you DO see the movie and read the books, we will gladly invite your opinion in the matter Y'all know I'm just joking, especially Findemaxam! Why would she say Peeta is a wimp, unless you, Julia, have told her that? Hmmmmmm..... that gets me thinking..... I could see something like that coming from a FINNICK FAN!!!!! Tehehe julia please don't take this seriously
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2013 01:45
Oh, dont worry, I know you enough to know your kidding, you STUPID PEETA LOVER!!!!!!!!!!! JUst kidding And it was not me!!!!!!!!! It was my friend Sabrina!!!!!!!! (Another Gale lover)
LadyCeleborn
Palantir Mod, Guardian of Ulmo's Realm & Resident Eomer Fancier
Send Message
on: April 05, 2013 03:37
Ok, guys...enough with the wimps and stupid, etc...even if it is in a joking manner. Back on topic, please.
EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2013 04:14
One of the best books EVER!!!!!!!! In my opinion, i LOVE Peeta lol
"A sprinter learning to wait."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 08, 2013 03:50
OK, sorry Hi Ethelynn!!! First time Ive seen you post on here...
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 10, 2013 05:43
Big surprise, eh?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 13, 2013 02:01
Yes!!!!!! LOve your new profile pic, lotrelessar
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 15, 2013 05:28
Just saw the trailer for Catching Fire! I legit can't wait!
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 16, 2013 12:01
I just saw the trailer, too! It's coming out November 22! Yay!!!! Sounds like it's going to be epic! On a very random side note, I want to learn how to do Prim's hair that's in the trailer. It looked very intricate and pretty. I'm surprised that they didn't show any clips from the arena in the trailer, too. We'll see if they come out with any more teaser vids
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 16, 2013 02:48
Of course, you notice the braids that people have, hahaha! And now im the guneia pig cuz Rodwen cut her hair;/ JK!
I havent seen the trailer yet, but Im super excited to see it
I love your profile pic, Rodwen!!!
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 23, 2013 07:12
Thanx! But yours is cool too! I just saw the trailer and a lot of people in school are RAVING about it!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2013 02:34
I saw it as well!!!!!!!! Amazing
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2013 12:08
Now do you see how Prim's hair was in the one shot? That's almost exactly how i did your sister's hair, except I added a Dutch lace braid at the bottom to make it look like Prim's original braids. Btw, Findemaxam, how did her hair come out the next day? I hope she liked it

I hear the movie doesn't come out until November Do you think they'll release it in 3D?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2013 02:19
It was quite curly and pretty I hope they do release it in 3D!!!! That would be amazing
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
Oh noes! Someone who actually likes 3D?! What is this world coming to?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
They are!!!!!!!!???????? Must have had something to do with the hacking!!!!!! Your dragons are gone, lol!!!!!!
3d's ok,makes me dizzy though
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email