Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First3940414243Last >>
Author Topic:
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Oh! That contest does sound fun! It's too bad it's not free for us poor frugal people. The Handsome Sleeper would be perfect for that! Although they likely don't accept fanfics :/
Not sure if I'll get anything on the prompt, or if I will participate in mini NaNo this month. I need a break from writing; there is a such thing as too much of a good thing!
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I'm going to try a Jurassic Park theme for your latest prompt (if that's okay), since I'm yet to try out my new character. It will be set during the events of the first movie (or should I set it just prior to the events in Jurassic World, since both parks are on the same island. Decisions, decisions). I'll try to post it no later than tomorrow (but no promises).

[Edited on 06/03/2015 by Lady Oakenshield]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Yep, thats fine! Take your time.

Tech Wednesday:

Unless you are doing research, turn the WiFi or internet off while you work. It is so easy to be distracted. Set aside some time each day to seclude yourself and really work.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Updates!

I, as well, have decided to abstain from this Months Mini NaNo. I decided it was time for me to focus on quality, rather than the quantity, of my writing.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Elnath
Council Member
Send Message
For the prompt:
( I might just stop in the middle of writing if I get bored, oops)

It was a stormy night, and the moon was not able to shine its borrowed light through the clouds. I typically wouldn't mind a night like this. Rain helps me sleep. But on this night, I wasn't even thinking of sleeping. There was much too much to worry about. It to worry about. I would explain It, but It knows when it is spoken of. I do not think I can even speak of the tragedies that occurred without It sensing it. But I shall, just so I may warn you.
Yes, even before night fell that day, I could tell something was going to happen. I could just feel it. I guess that's just a parent's sixth sense. I didn't know what was going to happen, but I couldn't let my children be put in the mix. I had to send them to family a couple of towns over. Not long after I sent them off it had started to rain. The rain had calmed me at first, it was only a little drizzle. Until I realized it could be the beginning of the bad thing. It was. The rain started pouring down, and the sky was pitch black.

Yeah that is all I have in me for writing today.
Annog nin daf pladan tele ci?
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Interesting, Elnath. The rain helping your MC sleep is a unique little detail! I would like to know what It is!
Alright, I don't really have any updates, except that I'm still crying over that one character while I try to edit the scenes afterwards. Is is bad to hope the readers will cry too?
Also, is there anyone interested in dancing who would like to look at a short fanfic I wrote? I centered it around dancing but it lacks in plot and excitement. Maybe there aren't any redemptive qualities in it at all. Or, if you all would like I can just post it on here and see what you think. It's five pages, but about a whole page is footnotes that describe how to do the dances and give Youtube links so you can watch if you want. Anyway, just let me know what you think! Yes, Thranduil is the MC, & it also has some Legolas.
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I have not professionally danced in years Blue, so I will be of little help to you there.

I will post my response tonight, I have an audition in about an hour and a half.
Elnath
Council Member
Send Message
I am not even sure what It is.
I didn't even do a character spreadsheet for the prompt. (which I LOVE to do. Making characters is so fun!)

I have a prompt if anyone would like to try it out.
Annog nin daf pladan tele ci?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Elnath, PM me so I can review it and add it to the list.

findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Happy Monday!

Prompt Number Forty Four:

"Fire always burns brighter in the night."
Edhelharn
Council Member
Send Message
Argh, I missed the last prompt! I was going to do it but I had school and things.
I'll do the new prompt as soon as possible.
Image Image Love is the strongest force the world possesses - Mahatma Gandhi
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Take your time!

Tip Tuesday:

Learn how to accept criticism. This is integral to writers for learning how to grow. Do not get mad at others for asking them to give you their honest opinion. Accept and learn. That is especially true for this thread.

[Edited on 06/09/2015 by findemaxam48]
DaughterofNimrodel
Council Member
Send Message
Is it permissible to promote my book here?
Soulbound: Book 1 in the Song of Souls trilogy, http://tiny.cc/TheAdventureBegins
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
DaughterofNimrodel, I do not have a problem with you oromoting here as long as you join in on the other discussion going on. Another user, rhodilwen, leaves us links to her blog on several ocassions and gives us a few updates on ocassion. This thread is mostly for updates and the practice of writing as a craft, not just promotions, but feel free to market yourself a bit.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Here's my go 'round. We'll see how off the cuff works.

Huon squinted against the glare of the flames leaping toward the sky. His sensitive eyes watered at the obnoxious light. He had no problems with fire during the day. Since Iluvatar had placed Anor in among the stars, creating day to offset the night for those who had chosen to remain in Arda the sight pained him in more than one way. When Ithil rose in pursuit of his love the bright burn of fires set by the Firstborn and Secondborn alike pained him. He sighed and lay beside the beauty he protected. Perhaps someday when he finally joined his beloved master in the Undying Lands he might seek the answer to the question. For now he would just try to look away and pretend all was well, for he saw the sorrow in his lady's gaze and knew she longed for someone far away as much as he did.

[Edited on 06/10/2015 by BelleBayard]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Belle, that was very good! I do believe that this was the first I have read of your fanfiction. And it was quite good! Do you write it often?
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
I missed the last prompt too! Grr... I like the sound of this week's though. Maybe I'll have a few minutes to whip something out.

Belle, that was good! I'm assuming that those characters are from the Silmarillion (of which I know little to nothing)?
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
BelleBayard
Send Message
Thanks! I used to write a LOT, but haven't in years (literally). Rhodilwen, yes, that comes from the Silmarillion. It's not a book you read like a story, more like an encyclopedia - there are multiple stories in it, some occurring in the same time span in different places with different people. If you try to read it in one chunk it just doesn't seem to jive. You have to set you mind to realize that Tolkien was telling many people's stories from the beginning - it was his world building. It wasn't until long past his other writings that his son put them together in ANY sort of cohesive manner. I'm of the firm opinion that the Sil was like thinking on paper on the characters that formed Tolkien's universe. Some of what is in the Sil you get to see in the past Hobbit trilogy as well as the very beginning of the LoTR movies. It's what spurred me to read beyond those two to see what the world was like long before Bilbo joined the Dwarfs on his adventure.

[Edited on 06/10/2015 by BelleBayard]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
That's exactly why I read the Sil, Belle.

Tech Wednesday, live from school:

Always save double copies. We all know how technology is. Even if your works are stored "In the Cloud," buy an inexpensive flash drive and save things on there.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Aw! Belle, that was a really sweet prompt. I love Huan. He's so precious! (Beren & Luthien is the best chapter in the Sil, btw!).
BelleBayard
Send Message
Thanks! Yes, it always interested me that Tolkien drew parallels between Beren and Luthien and Arwen and Aragorn, given their situations and that fact they are remotely related. Such a convoluted and complex ancestry the Sil lays out! Huan always felt to me as though he was much more than just a dog, but then again, he really WAS more than just a dog.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Updates!

Taking the month off of the MiniNaNo has been really beneficial for me. I am getting a lot done and have decided to redo the intro of my first book.
Edhelharn
Council Member
Send Message
I love how you portrayed the characters through Huan's eyes, BelleBayard! It feels so sad when you show that Huan is missing Valinor and his master.

My attempt at the prompt:

Calypso threw another branch on the fire. It licked higher, as if aspiring to scorch the very stars. Beside her, Gaily sniffed the grass and took a bite. Calypso smiled at the horse. "Lovely night," she commented, reaching out to rub the beast's nose. "Splendid view." She tipped her head back and gazed at the night sky, spangled with stars. She pointed upwards, tracing the constellations with her finger. There was the Big Dipper, Little Dipper, Orion nearing the horizon as spring set in... she scanned the sky, looking for the Scorpion that should be showing up any night now.
"What are you doing?" a harsh voice demanded. Calypso sat up with a jerk. Melanie stood there with a bucket of water, looking furious.
"Camping," Calypso replied, scooting in front of the fire to keep Melanie from dousing it. "It's a controlled fire!"
"I thought the woods were on fire," Melanie said in disgust, setting the bucket down. "And you dragged poor Gaily out here too? Aw, Gaily, you want to go back now?"
Calypso gritted her teeth as Melanie hugged Gaily's neck. The horse snorted and pulled away. Calypso hid a smile at Melanie's surprised face, and stood.
"Fine. I'll go back," she said sulkily, pouring water over the flames and stomping them out.
Melanie nodded in satisfaction and turned to go. Impulsively, Calypso threw the rest of the water after her. The other girl shrieked and whirled around, dripping. Gaily snorted as if laughing. Calypso grinned, but the smile slipped from her face as Melanie took a threatening step forward. With a delighted shriek, Calypso dropped the bucket and ran for the stables, pursued by a wrathful Melanie.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Edhelharn, that was good! I love that you added in a horse. Very cute!
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Interesting, Edhelharn! I love the playful part at the end and how the horse seems to laugh.
I meant to update yesterday but obviously didn't do it. All three current MC's are male, and none are the type I really like to write (the kind who will randomly hug or kiss his wife is what I prefer)! And ~cue dramatic music~ a new fanfic is being written in first person present tense! I'm still finding it very strange, but I think branching out is good for writers, trying new things, even though I really can't see myself ever publishing a novel in first person present tense. Anyway, Haldir is my MC so it's from his POV. Other than that, I survived a week and a half writing very little romance and I think it was beneficial to me, even if I complained a lot and missed it a lot.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Blue, I would love to read your Haldir fanfiction.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Would you all like me to post part of Life of Haldir on here, or just read it off fanfiction.net? I put the link to my page in my signature, hoping for more reviews on all my stories on there. I should explain it's based off a roleplay with someone but I'm changing some things and my coauthor is on a break for a while, so I'll finish it on my own (if I ever finish it! I really hope it's long!).
Is anyone else on fanficion and have issues getting people to review? I've even left readers hanging and killed off a bunch of people all at once (I really expected some reviews on that one!), but so far the most I have on one story is about 21 or so, which is around one per chapter. So I'm not sure if it's just I haven't posted good stories, if I don't have the right readers, or if my writing is just that bad!
Edhelharn
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks!

Blueberry Muffins: Ooh! I read the story you linked to. It's very nice - I've always liked Haldir, and it was amusing to be able to see what he thinks about Mirkwood and Legolas.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks, Edhleharn! It's rather strange since I'd almost like to live in Mirkwood (although I'm not sure about all those scary walkways!). I'm having to change it quite a bit, but that's ok. I shouldn't have started it but sometimes I just can't keep on the same idea for more than a few pages. I have too many unfinished/ needs-something-else fanfics running around, not to mention my two neglected novels. ~sighs~
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
It is my experience that there are so many people active and using fanfiction.net that there is no way for people to find that one story they want to read. So many people create accounts and write stories that new stories won't stay on the new stories page for very long.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
That could be my problem then. I actually don't read much on there myself since I'm kind of picky. I just have a few people that I follow and read. Other people have suggested reading & reviewing other peoples' works, and I do try to leave some sort of review whenever I read one. I think people are sometimes afraid the authors will take their comments as flaming, even if it isn't intended as such.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Here is my prompt response! Very brief, very mild peice of language at the end.

They tell me that I am independent. Fierce. Strong. Brave. Intelligent. Witty, even.

But they don't know. Don't know how I have had to wipe up my own blood from the floor. Soothe bruises on my skin and mend my broken bones. Stitch myself back together so that I can keep other people alive, even if it meant prolonging them for seconds. They have never seen me cry, doubled over so that I can't breathe.

But they have seen me fight. Kill. Watch as if it was a game as I plunged my sword into one if their own. They still talk about my hair and my clothee like I am a doll made for posing. They don't see how I am strong. They don't see how I have fought to survive when they left me to die. Their accusations and undivided attention murdered Susanna's spirit. They will not have the pleasure of taking mine.

Adrian told me once about how fire always burns brighter in the darkness.

It sure as hell burns brighter in me.
Edhelharn
Council Member
Send Message
Very powerful and moving prompt, Findemaxam! I could feel the emotion and anger in this.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you Edhelharn!

Prompt Number Forty Five:

Single word for this prompt: glass.
<< First3940414243Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email