Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Marcotonio
Council Member
Send Message
Post A few questions to get started
on: December 13, 2013 02:10
Hi, everyone. I'm Marcotonio and I just joined the forums after some recommendations.

First of all, a question regarding the forum itself: when I click profiles (even my own) I'm redirected to unrelated places, lists of hundreds of users (where I'm not included), like a directory. One of the attempts said I wasn't allowed to visualize the profile page of the user. Is this normal? Why? How can I see stats from other users and send PMs?

===============================================================

Now, regarding my registration to the site, I've joined because I need to discuss some details about Middle-Earth, to build a plausible story for two elves I created.

I've seen some fanfiction sites, but they are more of an exposition center and I'm looking to a discussion platform, a sandbox.

I need to discuss topics about the writing systems, name etymology, the story of Arda itself, and I do have drawings I made about the characters to go along with the writing.

My problem is: these questions and pictures should be scattered in a lot of subforums and categories, since this touches various areas. So how should I proceed? I don't intend creating a narrative story, like a fanfiction would, I just want to make a concise description, a plausible biography for them and cover its flaws.

So, long story short:

I'm translating the story into English, in a more descriptive than narrative way to post it here. I have pictures. I have names. I have gaps needing repair and revision. I need help from people who know Tolkien's universe.

Where should I post, exactly?
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
Let's see if we can get you started, Marcotonio. (Other folks may want to join in and add their help and advice.)

To answer your first question: We still have some bugs to work out on this site, so the problems you're experiencing are somewhat 'normal'. To send someone a PM, click on "Send Message" located right above their avatar. Since clicking on a person's profile isn't working right now it seems you can only do that if they've posted in a forum.

Now for the second question: I think most of your questions could be covered in either the Languages sections or in the Books forum. You may want to check with the moderators of those sections first via a PM with your specific questions to see if there is already a discussion thread for your chosen topics.

Good luck with your writing project!

[Edited on 12/13/2013 by LinweSingollo]
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
Marcotonio
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks for the thorough answer, Linwe!

I think it'd be more practical if I could post the story in a single block of information and then readers can help me pinpoint errors or helping me solving the ones I've already spotted.

Maybe I could post it on the fanfiction subforums, even though it's more of a character biography? Then, the story having a post of its own, I can link it and ask for the help on specific topics through the specific subforums like languages or books.

Sounds good?
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
Yes, if you post a bit of your story, then the fanfiction section is the one you want. Sounds good! And a warm welcome to the Council of Elrond, by the way.
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Marotonio! I'm not very good at writing, but I do have a sister that likes writing stories. Her name is Mareth Ravenlock, so I suggest you ask her for some help. And I might be able to help some too. Oh! And if you need any help on drawings for your book, that's where I can help. (I love drawing! And if you want to see some of my drawings, you can find them in the drawing thread) If you're interested, here's the link: http://www.councilofelrond.com/forum/thread/15662/page/6/
“That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.” – Sam “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email