"Keep sailing."

into Sindarin.

Thanks so much

- lorisa
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Revio! = Sail!

'Keep sailing' translated literally into Sindarin doesn't work as the verb for 'to keep' means 'to retain, hold onto', not the idiomatic use of 'keep' that's in your sentence. That being said, what about:

Ieston i reviathog/reviathol anuir = I hope that you will sail forever
Linwe_Vardamir
Council Member
Send Message
This might sound weird, but can anyone figure out the Sindarin translation for fan girl?
"Not all those who wander are lost..." I think somehow Tolkien knew us fans were going to need a quote like this someday, considering how much I find myself day dreaming about Middle-earth...
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
No, I'm afraid not. There's no word in Sindarin that carries any connotation of 'fan' or 'fanatic', 'fancy' I'm afraid, or even a verb 'to support'. The closest I could give you would be 'female defender'.

Garthaneth = Young female defender
Berianeth = Young female protector

[Edited on 03/26/2014 by Galadivren]
marli76
Council Member
Send Message
Could anyone please help me to translate "ever is thy sight a joy" i am actually looking for a translation in an elvish script because i want to get a tattoo, but any kind of translation would be helpful
thanks!!
Elhath
Council Member
Send Message
marli76 said:Could anyone please help me to translate "ever is thy sight a joy"

The intended implication is probably "to see you, (catching) a sight of you", which would be something to be mindful of and maintain when translating. —> *cenneth¹ +possessive (2 sg.), or cened o(h) +direct object pronoun, for example. (Then again, cened might perhaps be able to co-function as a PE17-style Root Verb infinitive [synonymous with tírod "to see"], in which case an object pronoun meaning "thee, you (sg.)" would only be needed after it.)

One option for "ever" could be *bôr (II), from OS *boro (Q voro) < BOR-. (Since the adverbial implication is obviously closer to "always", and not so much concerned with what the root OY- implies.)

"A joy" would be glas or gell in Sindarin.

_____
¹ an abstract noun from a past participle/adjective (cp. Etym:380)

[Edited on 04/07/2014 by Elhath]
marli76
Council Member
Send Message
thank you, im not sure i quite understand it, but thank you for your help!!!
marli76
Council Member
Send Message
thank you, im not sure i quite understand it, but thank you for your help!!!
Elhath
Council Member
Send Message
Explanations to the grammatical terms can be found in their Wikipedia articles or in another site dealing especially with such (Google provides aplenty) — should they for some reason not be supplied in the study materials here.

"Possessive" refers to the possessive pronouns/adjectives nín, gín/lín, dín, etc., or (alternatively) to the possessive endings published in PE17 (lamm-en, -eg/-el, -ed, etc.).

[Edited on 04/08/2014 by Elhath]
Cax
Council Member
Send Message
Just out of curiosity, are there really ppl here fluent in Sindarin? And does it teach how to read or write in elvish script? 8O
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
I can translate on the fly without referring to material, and I can speak it as if I was speaking English (i.e. there aren't long pauses where I think 'how do I say that' or 'hang on what's the mutation on that') but that's taken several years of concerted effort and a good deal of research - none of which is necessary with a 'normal' second (or third etc.) language.
Kairosmith
Council Member
Send Message
Hi everyone! My friend wants a tattoo in Elvish that says "friendship, love, loyalty". I was flipping through different resources and found that "gwend, meleth, thorn" were the translations in Sindarin. Is this correct? Also, I noticed there are like 2-5 Sindarin versions for each word in English. Are some words better than others for this purpose? Thanks!
Elhath
Council Member
Send Message
Thorn is an adjective ( "steadfast" ). Parma Eldalamberon #17 p. 183 provides the attested abstract noun astor (longer variant astorad), glossed "faith, loyalty (not belief)" by Tolkien.

[Edited on 05/28/2014 by Elhath]
Kairosmith
Council Member
Send Message
Ah, ok! Thank you Elhath; the explanations are really helpful! Out of curiosity, how expensive and useful are the issues of Parma Eldalamberon? Are they available somewhere online?
Elhath
Council Member
Send Message
The official page/shop is at www.eldalamberon.com — however for some reason the site seems to be unreachable practically all the time nowadays. Further basic info & URLs can be found via Wikipedia and Tolkien Gateway.

A PE17 Sindarin wordlist is freely available at Lambenórë.

[Edited on 05/29/2014 by Elhath]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email