Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First45678Last >>
Author Topic:
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
I haven't come up with a character yet, but I'll probably be from Rohan (I wanted to get the okay from you first before I came up with a character). Do I post my character and all the stuff about them here first and then join the RP?
“That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.” – Sam “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Yes. From Rohan is good. We mentioned awhile back, or at least I did, about my character being scared that those from her village would find her. If you'd like, you can be a former co-worker of my girl. You'll need to either read the whole RP from scratch or have Mareth describe it to you.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Okay, I'll try to come up with something.
“That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.” – Sam “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
If you need any help, Mell, let us know!
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks Maxi, I will.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
I'm working on a post for Ithilwen in which she moves the wounded to a safer spot to tend to them.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
My dear fellow writers, I have a request. May we agree that a post should be at least a couple of paragraphs long? There a some who spend time and effort working on their posts to show the inner world of their characters, and how they see their surroundings, and when after all that another one comes up with a one-liner it is... just sad. I understand it takes time. Yes, it most certainly does. But one can't write a good story without actually writing.

I hope I have not offended anyone, it was not my intent. I seek only to improve what we are all creating here. Together.

*Nif
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
I heartily agree with you Nifredil. It helps me to write a longer post over a day or two. One must be careful not to take too long, or else the post may no longer be pertinent. It is good practice to occasionally check back in the thread to make sure you aren't leaving out key details or missing posts.

If you simply do not have time to write a whole long post, maybe you should consider "doubling up" with someone else in a joint post.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Sometimes, though, there is not a lot of character interaction, or at least not enough to build a several paragraph long post on, as we cannot manipulate each other's characters. If we would like to post longer, can we agree to have our character's say something to at least one other character, so dialogue can be added an expanded upon?
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
That is also correct Maxie. I hope someone will find something to work off of in my last post.

Did I miss anything in my post?
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
It is also true that one has to write more in order to give others a base on which to work upon. For example, your character has nothing else to say ir order to interact with others. Well - then have them go over to a fallen Wildling to check whether he's really dead or just pretending, or in another instance have them poke a fire and jump back out of the way of some sparkles, or notice their horse limping and stop to find that it only was a stone stuck in its hoof... Anything really! That way you create the possibility for another character to react to what yours is doing, or to decide not to react at all - and all that can be described and had fun with.

All right? Let's help each other here?
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
It did, Song. I have just posted.

[Edited on 11/15/2014 by findemaxam48]
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Maxie, I actually meant for Iorveth and Mosaic to look after Rovan and Eadwine. I can change it if need be, but it seemed like the latter two sustained more significant injuries.

Edit to add: I went back and changed a word to make it more clear. Ithilwen's suggestion was for Iorveth to take care of the heavier wounds, and for Mosaic to help with the lighter wounds. This was suggested because of Mosaic's apparent reluctance to be near sick or injured people.

But it doesn't matter too much, I'm flexible.

[Edited on 11/16/2014 by Eruwestiel_Evensong]
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Okay longer posts and perhaps joint posts. I will start introducing Cwen now. Okay this may sound weird but will Nym's wound have to be burned or seared shut? I will suggest it in my post but you can reject it or I will edit it if its bad.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
The veins were severed. They will have to repaired, and her arm sewn up. With an injury this severe, burning may not be a good idea.

I will just leave out the details of the procedure to make it easier (and less gross).

[Edited on 11/17/2014 by Eruwestiel_Evensong]
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
And a million years late, Mareth finally comes in...

I do agree with Nif about the longer posts...I must admit that mine are not always as long as I would like, but I do try to avoid really short posts. I will continue working on this.

I guess it will be a bit before I post again, as Nym is out of commission.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Sorry, Song. Didn't realize that.

Maybe Nym can hear Ithilwen's singing, like Frodo heard Arwen in FotR.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
It is perfectly alright Maxie, no worries. My wording was not extremely clear at first...that's what I get for writing late at night.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
No details? Just kidding. I wrote a scene where the MC's wound had to be seared. Usually the wounded person faints from the intense pain if they are awake. I'm not sure what happens if they are asleep. A good thing about this procedure is that we have an Elf who will know the right herbs so that Nym won't die (common result of searing.) Ithilwen would use a dagger correct?
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
Hi guys! I'm offline for these days due to all kinds of events and celebrations related to my country's Independence Day - but I'll be back shortly! Please feel free to use Rovan in your posts, if you feel like it
In the Realm of Ulmo
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Cenor, this is what I said:
"The veins were severed. They will have to repaired, and her arm sewn up. With an injury this severe, burning may not be a good idea."

In order to be accurate, I read some medical articles on the topic of repairing veins/arteries. One article even had pictures of the operation being preformed. Not a pretty sight, I can assure you. Good thing I don't throw up or faint at the sight of blood.

This is an overview of the procedure from said article at biology.stackexchange.com:

"Stop the bleeding, gain basic access, get full control of the bleeding, obtain full exposure/access, sew up the problem, put everything back, close up, give fluids, and send them to ICU. Even after getting everything right in surgery, the recovery can be quite difficult."

Have a good time Nifredil!
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Oops, that's what I get for speed reading...okay sewing. According to a medieval surgeries book I read, if you sew the severed veins and arteries(a stitch or two I think)it helps the chance of survival.

Oh my where did you find this?!

Happy Independence Day Nif!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I read the same thing, Song! We can only hope no one is spying on our search history.

Stitches should also we extended a bit beyond the actual wound. So, if the wound is half an inch, an extra half inch or quarter inch should be done on either side of the wound to rule out the chance of stretching or spreading.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Happy (belated?) Independence Day, Nif! Have fun!

I suppose Nym could hear Ithilwen singing...but right now she can't really do anything since she is asleep.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Mareth, that is the point. She would hear it in her sleep.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
My new character

Cwen (Cenor)
Race: Rohirrim
Height: 5" 8"
Family: Father: (dead) Mother: (dead) Brothers: Durith (dead) Eadwine (still living) (note. as of right now she does not know that her father and oldest brother are dead.) Lives with aunt (on her mother's side) in Firien Wood.
Animals: She loves the wild birds as well as their farm animals, a cow, chickens, and some pigs. She owns two horses as well, Thunder and Starlight, the former being one of her father's war horses the latter is her own.
Weapons: She prefers her sling though she does carry a knife. She also has a smaller knife for chopping herbs with.

Personality: Generally sweet and gentle but she is stubborn. Has a tender heart for any injured person or animal. The trials of the War have calmed her spirit and talkative nature (though these reappear when she is excited or nervous) leaving her rather silent yet hopeful.

Appearance: Long golden hair usually braided and deep, honest looking blue eyes. She wears dark dresses of green or brown and goes barefoot as much as possible. Her skin is tanned from working hard on their little farm and her hands are rather rough. She is tall but not overly tall, her height often helps with her duties around the farm.

History:
She was the last child born to her father and mother. Being left alone with her uncle and aunt (on her father’s side) she generally envied her brothers who basically grew up in the eords. But when her aunt started teaching her how to make various mixtures with herbs, when boiled in water to makes drinks that soothed, healed, or even help one to sleep, she found her new passion. After being evacuated to Helms Deep and the battle she returned with her aunt to Firien Wood. There she waits nervously for her father and brothers to return, not knowing that only one will return.

How is she? This is my second girl character so I'm not as practiced with making girls as I am boys.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Cenor, Cwen is a very likable girl so far. She reminds me quite a bit of Eowyn actually. I think she will make an excellent addition to our party.

[Edited on 11/19/2014 by Eruwestiel_Evensong]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Me as well.

Just a warning: I don't know if I will disappear for a few days. The power may or may not go out.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Oops didn't realize I did that. Oh well it works. She believes in healing not fighting now and would be happy to take lessons from Ithilwen
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
It is OK if she is similar to Eowyn.

Now, Cenor, when you introduce Cwen, how will you write with Eadwine? When you post, will you alternate your perspectives? Like, on day and one post, Eadwine, and the next day and next post, Cwen?
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Maxie, I bet you're feeling like the Fellowship on Caradhras right now.

Cenor, that is good; I like Eowyn. I'm sure Ithilwen would be glad to share her knowledge with Cwen.

Which brings me to another point. You all might remember Ithilwen's reason for not not going to check on Nym's father's leg. "I am no as skilled in that area." Thinking about it now, that makes zero sense, especially in the context of Nym's current surgery.

So I will change the reason to her simply not having time. Obviously Nym's father has survived with his condition for quite some time, so a few more weeks surely wouldn't matter too much. However, the illness in Gondor is spreading rapidly, so it makes sense to me that Ithilwen would see to that first.

Just wanted to clear that up for myself at least.

Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
I love Cwen, Cenor!

Ha, yeah...I'd forgotten about that, Song.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Of course I feel that way, Song. How I wish for the skills of the Elves, so that I can walk down the street on top of the snow!

I completely forgot about that, Song. Or you can have Ithilwen unsure of the family of Nym. Your solution works as well, though.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Hey, you can also pretend!

Hmm I think she probably would have known right away that Nym came from a good family. Why else would Nym be concerned about her father?

It probably doesn't matter much what the actual reason was, I just needed an excuse to avoid it right then so we could get our characters out of Rohan.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Yes Maxie! I sooo wanted to walk on the snow out here! Only way you can do that is sprinkle some snow on a icy patch but then one might fall sooo.....

I will probably head jump for a few posts but then I will separate their different points of view.
<< First45678Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email