Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Post Role Play Discussions Inn (for any RPer that wants help, opinions, or just to hang out)
on: November 07, 2014 05:25
*Brings up barrel of good ale* *Sets coffee to brew and tea to boil* *Grabs cakes and cookies from pantry* *Sits on chair waiting on friends.*
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
The old Ranger came in and gave the barmistress a nod, saying,

"I'm in need of a rest, and I think a pint of your fine ale would be fitting."

He leaned against the bar, and added,

"If you have some Bree cheese and wafers, that would go nice with the brew."
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Saddle sore and weary, the elf sighed gratefully at the sight of lights flickering from the windows of an inn up ahead. It had been a very long day in the saddle, and it would feel wonderful to rest for a bit. She reached the inn and went inside.

~*~*~*~

After acquiring accommodations for herself and taking care of her horse, she stepped back inside. A Ranger was leaning on the bar when she walked up and addressed the inn keeper. "Do you have some herbal tea and stew? I am chilled clear to the bone."
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I do not understand the purpose of this thread. It does not seem to me that it is supposed to be a role play. I think it is a place to gather and discuss the role play we are already in and see if there are any suggestions for those of us who are a bit *stuck* with our characters. Hey Cenor, enlighten me.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I think that Lindarielwen is right. The Newbie Pub is more like a place to begin new adventures and such.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Correct. This is not a RP it is a place for RP writers. We can suggest RP ideas so as not to clutter up the OCC forum or ask if other players like your type of characters.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Looks around silently. I guess the ale and cheese and such is out then.

Don't have much to say about RP ideas, Sure, I have them, I have many, but no time to put them into practice. I presented an outline of one here once. It gained zero interest on the month it was up for consideration, so I put it on ice. It was then a writer thought it would be good to do. Currently I'm only in one RP here, and other writers can let me know if they like my characters or not.

My writing style tends toward the longer, descriptive, story RP posts as opposed to the many short, fast, what I call 'gamer' dialogue posts. On the other end of the scale, I like a 'free form' RP as opposed to overly scripted and planned stories. Nothing wrong with those styles, it's just they are not that enjoyable to me. A good RP is one where the writers can 'click' and work off the other's posts to build a nice collaborative written story.

[Edited on 11/10/2014 by Arveleg]
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Well then, we can pretend my elf is at the Green Dragon.

What does everyone think of my characters? I want to write realistically, but sometimes I have a hard time adding enough faults.

My post style varies. Sometimes I do short posts, and sometimes long. I like having longer posts as it flows more like a story instead of snapping quickly between characters.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Cenor brought out some ale, Arveleg. Help yourself.

It is not easy to begin a new role play as you have found out, nor is it easy to keep one going. Crossed Paths has endured even after losing several key players including the one who started it. Some of our posts are somewhat long and some are just a few sentences, however, the role play is active and enduring.

I have always found your posts to be interesting and descriptive but sometimes I do not like reading a long post. But then, short posts do not give a person much room to build on.

I think impromptu posting is always good but we once had a player in CP who did nothing but bring in orcs. No matter what the scene, it was orcs and more orcs. We never got to finish any storyline without orcs and it was getting rather annoying. Throwing in a twist is good, keeps the players on their toes and makes for a better game but sometimes a plan is good. Keeps us all on the same page....but not all the time....that could get too tedious.

I think I could use a pint.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
*Drinks tea*

Lindarielwen, I will change what I said before. Long posts are good sometimes to move the story along faster, and short posts work better for a battle or something where you need to cut between players. It can also be helpful for writing conversation if you are not doing a joint post.

I like having a main story to follow so people are not aimlessly wandering around. However, I like to have the freedom to develop my characters and write something I enjoy. I am not saying a thread owner should not direct the RP and keep it on track. But if they are going to be tight fisted and not allow people to be themselves, why don't they just write a book? (Don't worry, I don't know anyone like that in the roleplays I am involved in.)

[Edited on 11/10/2014 by Eruwestiel_Evensong]
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
There was a role play here, Song, where the thread starter actually told people the words they were to write. Posts were criticized. Can you believe that? Needless to say, that game fizzed out quickly.

I usually do a long post when Linriel is off on her own and is doing some thinking. I use that to develop her background and give insight to her character and to fill in some gaps in the story.

Sometimes we get stuck and sometimes we are at a loss at what to post but still we keep on. Ideas come and go. The main objective, I think, is to have fun with it and it is great to develop writing skills as we go.

I always enjoy what you write, Song.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
There was a role play here, Song, where the thread starter actually told people the words they were to write. Posts were criticized. Can you believe that? Needless to say, that game fizzed out quickly.

I usually do a long post when Linriel is off on her own and is doing some thinking. I use that to develop her background and give insight to her character and to fill in some gaps in the story.

Sometimes we get stuck and sometimes we are at a loss at what to post but still we keep on. Ideas come and go. The main objective, I think, is to have fun with it and it is great to develop writing skills as we go.

I always enjoy what you write, Song.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I do recall that RP, Lindarielwen. I enjoy RPing because it teaches me patience, and also how to bounce off of others. Many times, when I post a few sentences, it is because I cannot find anything to bounce off of. Unfortunately, it starts short post virus, and repeats the cycle over and over again.

I try to make my characters solid, almost real. I also find that I like Rps with fewer people in them, because you learn about each other as you go.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Sometimes just posting a few sentences keeps the game moving and let's another player get to their post. In Crossed Paths, we talk among ourselves and other times we do not.

Maxie, you bringing Tumion back in was a great surprise.

I know many of us girls play male characters. Are there any guys playing who bring in a female character?
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
I do try to open up my short posts to other players. *Hands Lindarielwen her pint* I am going to remove my two rangers in the Pub, they were poorly made. But a new character will replace them. Song I think your characters might need a few faults but don't make your Elf's faults too known. I think I have a hard time predicting my characters.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
*takes a deep drink* Sometimes we get stuck with a character and have to get rid of it...easy enough to do. I think we do fine in CP..and we allow each other a little leeway in moving each others characters and if it does not work out, we move it back.

Now what the heck is in the box Linriel's mother left for her?
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
I am beginning to think that I am a good RPer but not a RP creator But it is good to see that more than one Rp is active now and the RP forums are coming back to life. I tend to struggle with long post but Darkest of Days has helped with that.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you, Lindarielwen. CP does move well. I think it is because all of our characters are so different, but are yet all connected in some way.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
I get why a few real-time dialog posts between a couple characters can and does go on. I try to "fill out" any of these posts I must to with a little narrative just to keep a flow going.

I was once a part of an RP (on another site) that started out well, but then two characters started to have a 'conversation' and posted around 40-50 posts between them in a few hours. This put the 'story' part of the RP back a page or so, and a couple key writers simply didn't ever post again. the RP went on as a 'chat' for a couple more pages before dying.

Personally, I don't find that sort of RP 'fun' at all.

On the other side of the spectrum, there are some RP stories that are so scripted by the thread-master that they require you to do edits to posts and such after the fact so something they want to happen cam come around. That sort is no fun to me either.

Give me a thread with some guidelines and some good writers that can envision the story!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Ah ha, machine gun posting. CoE bans that so the mods and moderate and the other players can keep up. I would be really miffed if that happened in an RP I was involved in. I can see a conversation, but, really, a forty to fifty post one? I totally agree with you, Arveleg.

I try not to be the dictator-like thread owner, but sometimes things get out of hand and need to be fixed. I don't think I have ever told anyone to edit, but I have edited my own posts.

And then there are those threads that are just beautiful. The Fog of Osgiliath in its very early stages comes to mind.

Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
findemaxam48 said:And then there are those threads that are just beautiful. The Fog of Osgiliath in its very early stages comes to mind.

You mean before I joined?
Fog was good in a lot of ways. It's just hard to keep a good momentum going when key writers disappear for weeks/months at a time. Unfortunately, to me anyway, an RP is not sustainable when that happens. I personally lose the back story if too much time passes, then I get into situations where it gets suddenly to where I need to post, and I spend all my free time re-reading and trying to again get a grasp on the tale. This happened to me a couple times in Fog. I usually write my characters out if I sense I won't be able to follow/commit to it.

[Edited on 11/17/2014 by Arveleg]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
No, no, Arveleg! You were one of the best. It just fell apart. I don't know why that happens sometimes, but it does. The characters were so incredible, with all of the depth and such that came with them.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Yeah, the characters were great. But the RP moved like it was a nice car whose engine didn't want to keep running. Eventually you just get out and walk.

Maybe a plan to resurrect a somewhat different story starting in the ashes of Perlargir? Not sure about any details or even an outline... just a passing thought.

Kind of committing my efforts into Darkness right now. Hope Eldarion gets back in it soon.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, Darkest has slowed down a bit. I hope we can keep it going in Eldarion's absence.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
I really love Darkness as well.

So newbie pub players, I have been thinking about starting a spin off thread if it gets a bit too boring in the pub.

Hmmmmm...I had forgotten about machine gun posting. In Return of the Witch King we machine gunned but we never exceeded our post count and it happened every two weeks or so. I hope our mod didn't have any trouble. By the way, where is our mod?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Our mod is PBHF. I have not seen him lately.

I would not object to a spin off in the pub.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Eruwestiel_Evensong said:Yes, Darkest has slowed down a bit. I hope we can keep it going in Eldarion's absence.

I think Cenor & I are going to work on a joint post for Dauwna and Mathias in Fornost. I was hoping Eldarion could get a post on for the battle in the North Downs before I commit to posting there again. I did get started on this joint post, but haven't been able to clean it up yet. As soon as I do, I'll PM it to Cenor to edit/add to it
I have been a bit busy writing in my tale on Henneth Annun this week.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Hmmm, perhaps I should post for Meriam again soon then. She has been neglected for awhile.

Arveleg, how is your other tale coming along?
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Eruwestiel_Evensong said:Hmmm, perhaps I should post for Meriam again soon then. She has been neglected for awhile.
Yeah, that would be good!

Eruwestiel_Evensong said:Arveleg, how is your other tale coming along?

Writing the end-game now. at our current pace, it should be done in 6 months.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I do not think we need to worry about machinegun posting in role play. We all know who our players are in the respective games and we know if they are posting or not. Our Mod will guide us if need be.

I do not think a player's absence should be of concern. Post around them. All of the role plays have lost key players and that does make it difficult, especially if the starter no longer posts but a game will continue without them if the remaining players want to go on.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
We have had to deal with a lot of that in CP. We lost nearly all of our starting posters.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Lindarielwen said:I do not think we need to worry about machinegun posting in role play. We all know who our players are in the respective games and we know if they are posting or not. Our Mod will guide us if need be.
I don't think I said I was worried about it. I just said I don't care for that style of RP "gaming". I prefer collaborative story RP writing.

Lindarielwen said:I do not think a player's absence should be of concern. Post around them. All of the role plays have lost key players and that does make it difficult, especially if the starter no longer posts but a game will continue without them if the remaining players want to go on.
I beg to differ with your opinion on this. I suppose this is not a problem if you are just gaming, but if you are writing a collaborative RP story, and suddenly one of the key writers for some key characters disappears and isn't writing anymore, you can't just ignore their parts suddenly and go on. it' is very disruptive. I see no point in investing time and effort into an RP project just to have this happen.I get that real life takes priority, and often it gets in the way of being able to carry on in an RP. I have had to quit a few for various reasons over the years. But when I had to, I would give my fellow writers the common courtesy of letting them know, and freeing up my characters for others to write for, or out of, the story, or I do one last post to write the characters out. It takes a minute to post a word in the ooc. If people can't do that if they're not going to be able to continue, well, it's quite inconsiderate.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Arveleg, where did I say you were worried about machine gun posting? Why don't you scroll up to Cenor's post about machine gun posting? I never refered to you in any way regarding that issue.

I do not understand the rest of your post. I said if a key player no longer posts just post around them but you are talking about how you give notice if you will not be posting. Many players, unlike courteous you, do not give notice when they will not be posting in a while. Some even drop out without word. What solution do you offer as to what to do when someone no longer posts without notice?
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
You did say "we". Can't see where I say that you said that I worried about machine gun posting. I'll just consider myself not a part of that "we". What you are saying I believe I already covered. Look, if you're ok with people who can't take 5 seconds from whatever busy life they have to bow out of a writing commitment they made, then good for you. To me it's rude and inconsiderate. I guess common courtesy isn't so common in this millennium. I guess I take my writing seriously. I'm not going to apologise for that.But then, you refer to "players" not writers.

As for my solution for disappearing writers, it depends on the tale and how dear it is. Usually I take it as my own and write it out. Take care everyone!

*downs the rest of his virtual ale, sets down the mug, and walks out the door.*
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I never said I was fine with people who stop posting in a role play, did I? I simply said if someone stops posting, the story continues without them. Ella, a very good role player, for example, has not been around in a long time. Did any role play she is in stop because she has not posted? No, the story continues on.

This forum is not titled *role writers*. It is called *role playing*.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email