Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
When you buy two cool t-shirts featuring Sauron.

"I just like lizards, that's all!"
Ringilswrath
Council Member
Send Message
When you first meet somebody and look at their fingers to see if they are wearing a One Ring. (Had a German prof wore one as her wedding ring. Favorite teacher ever!)
ImageImage

"Are you sure about that? It might just be a tie!" ~ Duo Maxwell, MS Gundam Wing

Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
When you very recently have finally received your 715-page "The Complete Tolkien Companion" by J.E.A. Tyler and you have reached the letter "O" by now.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
When your suppost to prepare three texts for a big exam and those three texts are FotR, TTT, and RotK.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
When you spend half an hour standing in the aisle at the grocery store discussing Tolkien with a total stranger who has admired your Mordor Ale t-shirt.

"I find insidious pleasure in annoying Istari."
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
When you have read almost all of your "After The King (©1991)" style books (about eight of them) in the last week because you had the unplanned time to do so.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
When you persist in muddling through even though the site is playing silly again.

"I find insidious pleasure in annoying Istari."
"Corrupted Weavers Rule"
ElwingAndEarendil
Council Member
Send Message
When JRR Tolkien's face pops up on a slide in class and you sneak out your phone to take a picture of his beautiful portrait.

"Corrupted Weavers Rock!"
"The Deeds that we shall do shall be the matter of song..." - Haunting the Realm of Vaire as the Corrupted Major - Find me as Silmarilz1701 everywhere else
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
When your parents give you your own tv because they are tired of LOTR and Hobbit.

"I am burdened with glorious purpose"

ElwingAndEarendil
Council Member
Send Message
When you spend three hours laying out your maps of Middle Earth, Beleriand, Numenor, and Wilderland on the floor of your friend's dorm room to explain Middle Earth.

"Corrupted Weavers Rock!"
"The Deeds that we shall do shall be the matter of song..." - Haunting the Realm of Vaire as the Corrupted Major - Find me as Silmarilz1701 everywhere else
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
When you have the Lothlorien leaf necklace, Elrond's brooch necklace, and Tauriel's necklace, AND the evenstar pendant.

of which I actually have all that!!

Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Welcome back, arrow! We've missed you.

When you have two copies of the Ring of Barahir, and wear one on each hand, prompting brilliant comments like: "You do realise you're wearing the same ring on each hand? "

"Corrupted Weavers Rule"
"Don't panic"
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
When you have two copies each (one paperback, one hardcover) of The Silmarillion, The Hobbit, The Lord of The Rings, and Robert Foster's "The Complete Guide to Middle-earth", topping that up with the German translation (© 2012) of Douglas A. Anderson's © 2002 Second Edition of "The Annotated Hobbit" (the German translation being current on information up to its 2012 date), and a © 1992 German three-volume hardcover comic version, continuously paginated to page 134, of The Hobbit.
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
When you drag your friend to middle earth, and they have to use The Force to get you back to reality

Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
When you wear your Mordor Beer t-shirt to the store for the first time, and spend half an hour explaining what it all means to a total stranger.
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
When you get offended in a lecture because someone assumes you know nothing about LotR (despite wearing a t-shirt with the One Ring inscription on it), so you school that fool of a Took down with your knowledge of the geography, history and random trivia of Tolkien's world, then finish off by saying "Hobbits" in a disgruntled Gandalf manner.
Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
ElwingAndEarendil
Council Member
Send Message
When you are sitting in your bed room mapping out distances between various locations in Middle Earth and trying to calculate the amount of time it would take to travel between them on horse back because you're writing an LotR fic and want to make sure things are correct. But that means that there's no walking space on your floor or space on your bed because you have eight maps laid out.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
When you read the posts by Ildë and Weavie and you realise that you know some really amazing Tolkienites (new word).

"I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts, diddly-dee."
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
and a © 1992 German three-volume hardcover comic version, continuously paginated to page 134, of The Hobbit.

Is it good? I read a graphic novel adaptation of The Hobbit, and the art was middling.

When you do a presentation on the historical developments and relationships between Tolkien's Elvish languages for linguistics class. When you kind of signed up for linguistics class because you knew that Tolkien was a linguist and you wanted to know what they do. When the only concepts in that class that you already are familiar with are the ones you picked up from reading ROTK appendices and Unfinished Tales.
"There shall be war between the Children of Iluvatar and the Ainu Melko. What if we perish in our quest? The dark halls of Vê be little worse than this bright prison" ~ Fëanor
ElwingAndEarendil
Council Member
Send Message
I'm gonna have to partially copy Elfeawen...

When you sign up for a Linguistics class partially because you are an English major but also because Tolkien... and it's because Tolkien that you've developed a love of linguistics and are minoring in it.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
I have to triple it.

I initially started reading Tolkien because of his work in philology, and would have done a degree in Anglo-philology had I had the opportunity to go to university.

My interest in the subject continues to this day.

"I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts, diddly-dee."
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
When you measure the "yardage" that your Tolkien (- related) books take up on your shelves (a bit over 215 centimeters respectively seven feet).
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
When the only books you have on your computer desk shelf are either Tolkien, or Tolkien-related, books.

"The Corrupteds' favourite hobby is annoying Istar members of CoE!"
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
When the only poster on your wall anymore is a framed Middle-Earth map. (I had to say goodbye to Bowie, Elvis, Johnny Cash, Metallica, Green Day, Elrond and Volbeat posters because my walls were getting busy!)

Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
When you find yourself thinking about Germany's most successful football team (rightly so in one sense, they have done many things better than other teams) in Saruman-like terms (also rightly so, as they have a history of buying off the best players of other teams mainly for the effect of weakening those other teams.) One superbly technical small, quick player they are currently trying to sell right now was a very central player in the second-best German team, but never quite fit in to their playing system. (btw, he shot the goal in the 2014 World Cup final giving Germany the 1:0 win over Argentina). Their top goal-getter (the superstar of the Polish national team), tops in the league this year, was also lured away from the number 2 team, and now one of the best defensive players (with in my opinion occasionally hair-raising errors) of our German national team is again heading from the number 2 team to the number 1 team. These two teams are very currently playing the final of the national cup, and I am very definitely not rooting for the no 1 team!
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
When you're getting a new dog named "Oscar" and you're seriously considering changing his name to something more Tolkienesque, especially if you can find a name that sounds like "Oscar". Hints anybody?

"The Corrupteds' favourite hobby is annoying Istar members of CoE!"
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
Ohtar?

When your siblings call you the walking, talking Silmarillion, or the living Silmarillion audiobook.
"There shall be war between the Children of Iluvatar and the Ainu Melko. What if we perish in our quest? The dark halls of Vê be little worse than this bright prison" ~ Fëanor
Estelanor Of The Shire
Council Member
Send Message
When your cat's name is Celewen, and her nickname is Ungol. She actually gets called Ungol more often than Celewen.
May it be when darkness falls, your heart will be true..
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
When your Tolkien books are out of the shelf more often than not.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
When you buy a Prancing Pony t-shirt to complement the Mordor Ale t-shirt you already have

"Go back? No good at all! Go sideways? Impossible! Go forward? Only thing to do! On we go!"
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
When the Hobbit movies are on TV and even though you don't like them, you watch them anyway.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
When you spend a significant portion of a Sunday afternoon "competing with Gando in the games threads.

"It is orc-necks I would hew, not shave the scalps of Men."
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
When you have just read LoTR for the umpteenth (about 15+) time, and had Barbara Strachey's "Journeys of Frodo" map book always opened to the map relevant to the chapter.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
I am hopeless at Tolkien geography so I purchased ...

Atlas of Middle-earth by Karen Wyn Fonstad

""Do not meddle in the affairs of Moderators, for they hold power over you beyond imagination."
"Do not meddle in Games Forum threads where CoE members with wizards as avatars tend to troll!"
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
When you get excited over creepy forests where trees grow strange, the wind whispers, and people sometimes disappear! And when it had a stretch where nothing grows you shout "Old Forest!!!"
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email